Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

Count me in with the crew that wants to see a clean skate vs a jumping fest.  I stopped watching men's competitions for that very reason.  It's boring and not pleasant to watch, especially when no one manages to skate cleanly.  

edited because grammar counts.

Edited by Shades of Red
  • Love 11

Did I hear Johnny correctly last night when he said during the pairs free that it is better to attempt a difficult jump and fall than to pop a triple and turn it into a double?  If that's the case, why doesn't everyone "attempt" quads even if they can't do them?   I would think a clean jump would look better and more artistic even if it's not as hard.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

To be fair, little Hanyu won in 2014 with a fall, but, in his defense, his short skate was PERFECTION and that FS fall was the only blip in an otherwise beautiful performance. 

Hanyu also didn't rely on his reputation to get that gold. 

• Love 4
Just now, blackwing said:

Did I hear Johnny correctly last night when he said during the pairs free that it is better to attempt a difficult jump and fall than to pop a triple and turn it into a double?  If that's the case, why doesn't everyone "attempt" quads even if they can't do them?   I would think a clean jump would look better and more artistic even if it's not as hard.  

Because if the technical caller busts them for underrotation, they lose base value and GOE.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Shades of Red said:

Count me in with the crew that wants to see a clean skate vs a jumping fest.  I stopped watching men's competitions for that very reason.  It's boring and not pleasant to watch, especially when no one manages to skate cleanly.  

It's probably why a lot of people say figure skating isn't a legit sport. Your average viewer watching this would be completely confused; how can you fall like that and be in first place, especially when the other guy skated cleanly? It makes no sense. It makes the sport's governing body lose credibility, and maybe at some point it leads back to a Salt Lake-like situation.

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I don't know much about figure skating scoring, but I thought Adam's performance was much better than the Russian fellow and Chan fell twice...so how is he in 1st place?  I thought Adam's program was smooth, lyrical and captivating to watch

On the CBC,  Kurt Browning was saying Rippon sort of went off script with the jumps he had submitted beforehand.  Rippon did have at least one quad scheduled but Browning figured he's playing it safe to hopefully move the USA up the board.  But suggested the quad needs to be back for the free skate because it's a good 10 points by not doing it.

Edited by mtlchick

My theory as a Canadian who still flabbergasted at how Chan threw away his chance at gold in 2014...he will be thrown a bone here but watch out in singles...he'll be lucky to finish 6th.  I guess I'm in the minority - I like Tessa, Scott hmm...love Duhamel & Radford though.  They manage to show passion despite her being married to someone else and him engaged to someone else...

• Love 2

I get why the results are the way that they are, but I'm not sure if anyone would want to rewatch any of those performances except for Adam's, entertainment wise. That's a problem! 

I've given up on the team event. I loved the Italian pair last night and Adam was great. Am I missing anything so far?

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

It's probably why a lot of people say figure skating isn't a legit sport. Your average viewer watching this would be completely confused; how can you fall like that and be in first place, especially when the other guy skated cleanly? It makes no sense. It makes the sport's governing body lose credibility, and maybe at some point it leads back to a Salt Lake-like situation.

To be fair though, snowboarding allows for falls. I don't think falls should take out of it instantly, but I do think Adam out skated the Russian tonight. I'm ok with Chan winning that round.

• Love 2

Rippon should've won that. He didn't skate even close to how he skated at SA, but he was the best.

Now the US and Italy are still pretty much even when that's not how it should be. It should go Rippon>Kolyada>Chan>Rizzo>Tanaka.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

On the CBC,  Kurt Browning was saying Rippon sort of went off script with the jumps he had submitted beforehand.  Rippon did have at least one quad scheduled but Browning figured he's playing it safe to hopefully move the USA up the board.  But suggested the quad needs to be back for the free skate because it's a good 10 points by not doing it.

Thanks for the info....I don't know much about the technical that I should look for....I just personally enjoyed Adam's performance the best

This interview with Adam is everything. You can tell how much this means to him. He should have been higher than Kolyada. I thought Matteo Rizzo should have been higher than Kolyada too.

Come on, Mirai and the Shibutanis! You can do this!

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I think NBC knew he wasn't doing the quad. The program does normally have a quad and it did not go well at Nationals. I think the calculation was that messing up the quad might cause him to fall apart for the rest of the routine.

Just now, againstthewind said:

Man, it’s been four years and I remember why I don’t enjoy figure skating much anymore. Adam Rippon was lowballed. Couldn’t someone just submit a program with quads all over the place with no intent to land them to get an inflated score?

You still need to land them or at least attempt them for the inflation to begin.

• Love 1
Just now, Dots And Stripes said:

I think NBC knew he wasn't doing the quad. The program does normally have a quad and it did not go well at Nationals. I think the calculation was that messing up the quad might cause him to fall apart for the rest of the routine.

Yeah, NBC said an hour before he skated that he wasn't doing the quad.

• Love 4

Skating While Russian and Chanflation are still in full effect, I see.  That was some epic bullshit.  Kolyada scored only .5 points lower than Adam on PCS?  Uhhhhhh, no.  Also, I really don't need to hear about how wonderful Chan's skating is when I've never seen him skate a clean program.  Adam should've won that round (or at LEAST been second).  So. much. collusion.

Edited by NUguy514
I didn't understand numbers, but now I do. :)
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, NUguy514 said:

Kolyada scored HIGHER than Adam on PCS? 

No, Rippon was higher, but only by 0.5 points. So essentially tied. Which should be mathematically impossible given how the two of them skated.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Not to mention that Adam winning the men's FS wouldn't have changed the standings. 

Sure but it's too close to Italy now, when it shouldn't be (unless you mean that OAR and CAN would've been secure if the judges hadn't given it to them on a platter anyway).

• Love 3

Canada’s seven-point lead in the team event is basically unassailable now.  Daleman and Virtue/Moir would both have to completely bomb (and Russia finish in first place in both) for them to lose.

And this is why I quit watching skating. That was some serious bullshit and the scoring or judging or whatever is a total mess when a splatfest scores higher than a clean skate, no matter how many quads or not. 

• Love 5

So I guess Mirai should go for the triple axel to get credit even if she goes splat? Oh wait. She's not Russian or Canadian so probably no extra points for her.

Why yes. three days into the games and I've already remembered my bitterness when it comes to Olympics scoring. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

So I guess Mirai should go for the triple axel to get credit even if she goes splat? Oh wait. She's not Russian or Canadian so probably no extra points for her.

Why yes. three days into the games and I've already remembered my bitterness when it comes to Olympics scoring. 

And where's the gymnastics petition for a review of scores? Adam Rippon's skating skills are apparently lower than Kolyada's, as are his transitions. Color me skeptical.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 6

Patrick fell on on the 3A (a -1 deduction, and under-rotated), it was a touch down on the 3Lo(GoE). But he also put down two clean quads, one in combination. His skating skills (best of the bunch here), give him those high PCS.

Adam should have been in second here, He got lowballed on the PCS. He also had two clean 3As but double the planned quad,

I get Kolyada's tech score, but that his components are not 3-4pts behind Adam is crap. He fell on one quad, shaky on the other. Landed 2 3A's, on in combination.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Shades of Red said:

Is that a tattoo or a big bruise on her leg?  I generally don't watch the women either, so have no idea what this is or if it's been explained already.

Kinesiology tape, I believe. 

• Love 1