Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

Rhapsody in Blue fans: check out the first 5 minutes or so of the old Woody Allen movie "Manhattan," which is literally that song set to beautiful scenes of New York City. Another excellent use of that song. (Apologies for the skating interruption!)

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Yeah, and with good reason -- he's a good interview. Charming, friendly and well-spoken.

Go ShibSibs!

Yeah, I think that tonight, Rippon has pretty much ensured that he has a talk show career after this if he wants one. Very articulate, very personable, very positive energy, and he actually says very substantive things.

• Love 7

Adam Rippon got ROBBED being behind Kolyada.  Bullshit.  

MIRAI NAGASU!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm sorry, but Zagitova having all her jumps in the last two minutes is more bullshit and should be banned.  But I've ranted about that already.

• Love 18

Adam Rippon's Instagram stories are also pretty fun if you want more Adam (one of my favorites was a series of videos on Ashley Wagner's and his accounts that detailed how he was spending his time looking into his astrological sign). 

Edited by mehtotheworld
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Mike Tirico just said the US is in silver medal position. Wikipedia says he is wrong. I assume they aren't emphasizing how secure the bronze looks right now to keep people from tuning out.

I thought he said they were trying to put them in Silver position. but even if the US won (not happening) and OAR came last (also not happening) they would tie in points and there is probably some tiebreaker that would favor the Russians.

• Love 1

So, number crunchers: my head hurts trying to figure this out, but if Nathan had won the short, could the U.S. have earned silver? I'm actually hoping not, for Nathan's sake, but it would be nice to know if we could have potentially be even closer, especially with the obvious skating-while-Russan bonuses going on (looking at you, Kolyada). 

I'm totally OK with the Canadians winning - they have great skaters - as long as the Russians ("OAR") don't. It's total BS they're in the "team" event. Aren't they supposed to be just individual athletes?!

And while Canada has great skaters, did they only sub their ladies because Chan, V/M, and D/R don't have anyone competitive with them? Not a good bench for the futures that's the case.

2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Mike Tirico just said the US is in silver medal position. Wikipedia says he is wrong. I assume they aren't emphasizing how secure the bronze looks right now to keep people from tuning out.

Thanks. His comment confused me.

11 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Adam and Mirai are roommates in the Olympic Village! I love it!

And I'd love to be their roommate!  I can't even imagine - no matter how well mannered they are in public, they look like away from it all they probably have a lot of fun.  

I have to agree about the Russians.  It's still very much a machine in their training, and yes they can hit all the technicals, and yes, aren't they pretty skaters - but they don't feel the music.  Very very rarely have I seen a Russian skater truly have a connection with the music.  It's all script and no soul.  There are a few exceptions, I always liked Ilia Kulik, but yes - very cold, all the colors are in the lines.  

Lord help me, I can't unsee that chartreuse monstrosity - pass me the eye bleach quick!   

• Love 7

The United commercial music really isn't THAT old, is it?  I took a flight a few months ago and I swear they are still using it.  I thought I heard it during the safety video, the hilarious and cool one where various United employees are depicted in foreign locales and incorporate the safety demo into various activities.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

So, number crunchers: my head hurts trying to figure this out, but if Nathan had won the short, could the U.S. have earned silver? I'm actually hoping not, for Nathan's sake, but it would be nice to know if we could have potentially be even closer, especially with the obvious skating-while-Russan bonuses going on (looking at you, Kolyada).

I don't think so. That would only be 3 more points and the US is 5 points behind OAR right now. ETA: now if Nathan had won and Adam had been appropriately scored ahead of Kolyada, then, the US would be tied and in the running for silver. But it looks like the judges had their plans. /conspiracy theory!

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, COESpiral said:

At this rate, the only way the US is winning silver is if the Shib Sibs win the FD and the Russians finish last.  We've got like five points to make up and that's not going to happen without serious help.  

Even that is not enough help. The points are 10 through 6. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

So, number crunchers: my head hurts trying to figure this out, but if Nathan had won the short, could the U.S. have earned silver? I'm actually hoping not, for Nathan's sake, but it would be nice to know if we could have potentially be even closer, especially with the obvious skating-while-Russan bonuses going on (looking at you, Kolyada)

Yes. They would be one point behind the Russians coming into free dance where the Shibs should beat the Russians.

Edited by healthnut
Just now, COESpiral said:

Why on earth are Virtue and Moir skating in the team FD?  Who did Canada have skate the SP in pairs if Duhamel/Radford skated the LP?  Chan skated both SP and LP and they swapped women for the ladies part.

Canada is not using one of their substitutions, which is silly given their lead. I think they should have rested Patrick since falling so much is rough on the body. I guess they made the game plan before the comp started and just stuck to it.

I looked at the summary of scores and the thing that stands out for me is the 6 for Bradie Tennell.  Why is NBC and other media saying how great she did?   She was 5th place.  Arguably, Mirai could have gotten 3rd and the gap would be less.  I guess they felt like they needed to use her because she is the US champion?

3 minutes ago, healthnut said:

Yes. They would be tied with the Russians coming into free dance.

Well, that's all kinds of frustrating, given that it would be likely the Shibs would beat the Russians - absent, of course, some interesting "scoring" that my suspicious side says might happen in that scenario.

2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I looked at the summary of scores and the thing that stands out for me is the 6 for Bradie Tennell.  Why is NBC and other media saying how great she did?   She was 5th place.  Arguably, Mirai could have gotten 3rd and the gap would be less.  I guess they felt like they needed to use her because she is the US champion?

She skated clean, which is more than can be said for Nathan. I'm not so sure Marai would have gotten third. Bradie got the top score for a US lady of the Grand Prix season and beat Marai at nationals. The four skaters who beat Bradie all come from countries that have a lot of talent in the ladies event.

Japan messing up makes the US that much more secure for bronze.

• Love 1

Given the point spread, it would have been nice to give another Canadian dance pair (Andrew and Kaitlyn perhaps) a chance to get metals as well.  The more on the team, the nicest it is in my opinion.  Share the wealth.  I'm not sure how far in advance you have to do the substitutions so possibly it was better to go with a safe bet vs taking a chance?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Moxie Cat said:

Well, that's all kinds of frustrating, given that it would be likely the Shibs would beat the Russians - absent, of course, some interesting "scoring" that my suspicious side says might happen in that scenario.

Am I mathing wrong? OAR has 58 and the US has 53. Nathan got 7, he would have gotten 10 for winning. That is only 3 more which makes 56 and not tied.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Canada is not using one of their substitutions, which is silly given their lead. I think they should have rested Patrick since falling so much is rough on the body. I guess they made the game plan before the comp started and just stuck to it.

What a nice Eff You to the other dance teams, Canada.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Even that is not enough help. The points are 10 through 6. 

I really hope at some point they change the scoring in the long programs to 2-4-6-8-10 so there can be more movement and more suspense. It was worse in Sochi, all three medals were a foregone conclusion after short programs. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

Am I mathing wrong? OAR has 58 and the US has 53. Nathan got 7, he would have gotten 10 for winning. That is only 3 more which makes 56 and not tied.

No, my math was wrong, I was thinking it would’ve affected the Russian’s placement, but I forgot he was near the bottom.  They would’ve been 2 points apart.  

6 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Remember the gorgeous pairs like Gordeeva and Grinkov? Idk where that tradition has gone ...

By the way here is a cool article about Natalia Mishkutionik:

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/natalia-mishkutionok/

I remember really liking Natalia Mishkutionik.  Although I swear back then her name was spelled Mishkutenok in English.  I particularly remember that amazing spin where she did an upside down split and put her head at her ankles and one leg straight up.  They won in 92 and got silver in 94 when Gordeeva and Grinkov came back.   I seem to recall that her partner dumped her because he said she got too fat and he didn't want to lift her anymore.  I thought he even called her a cow.  He showed up in the next Olympics with a new partner.  Am I making this up or am I thinking about a different pair?  This article makes it seem like  she voluntarily retired after 94.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I remember really liking Natalia Mishkutionik.  Although I swear back then her name was spelled Mishkutenok in English.  I particularly remember that amazing spin where she did an upside down split and put her head at her ankles and one leg straight up.  They won in 92 and got silver in 94 when Gordeeva and Grinkov came back.   I seem to recall that her partner dumped her because he said she got too fat and he didn't want to lift her anymore.  I thought he even called her a cow.  He showed up in the next Olympics with a new partner.  Am I making this up or am I thinking about a different pair?  This article makes it seem like  she voluntarily retired after 94.

No that was her. It's ironic because here's a recent video of her:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Young-Skater-Wants-to-Follow-Olympic-Mothers-Footsteps-465237453.html

And she's very in shape. 

Not the same thing can be said about Artur:

image.png.ab922d93fe5dffb8f7733e376e814a7b.png

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, healthnut said:

No, my math was wrong, I was thinking it would’ve affected the Russian’s placement, but I forgot he was near the bottom.  They would’ve been 2 points apart.  

Ah, well, if Adam had gotten ahead of Kolyada (as he should have been) then they would have been tied (with the Nathan-winning scenario) because then OAR would have been down 1 while the US would have been up 1. And then they would have won silver (knock on wood for Shibs). But since the Men's didn't fall out that way, it isn't anyone's "fault" except for the judges screwing Adam over (and I felt, lowballing Bradie some. Kaetlyn and Carolina both had very obvious mistakes that did not seem to affect their scores much).

• Love 1

Ok - as long as it just wasn't Nathan alone. Plus, it's an assumption he would have won if he hadn't fallen, when Shoma might have won anyway (though Nathan's SP out scored Shoma's at the GPF). 

I do think though that both Bradie and Adam could have been a point higher (both of which easily could have happened) which would also have helped the silver happen. But clearly there are a number of moving pieces that would have had to come into play.

Pretty dress for her. With the Italians, I would have guessed A walk In the Clouds before What Dreams May Come, based on the costumes, but it was pretty too. I am liking all of these better than the SDs.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, COESpiral said:

"Hey, you know what would be a great idea for a dance?  If you were blind!  That'll tug at everyone's heartstrings!"  I'm rolling my eyes so hard I can see into the past.

Of all the current Russian skaters, they do ACTING the best, IMO.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Now that you mentioned it I remember Artur Dmitriev pulling that shit. Everytime I saw him on TV after that my first thought was that he must have been a real asshole to skate with. I seem to remember stories about him making a partner cry too. Can't remember which one it was. 

• Love 3