Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E00: Christmas Special 2017

• Start Topic

Join the midwives as they battle snow, ice, power cuts and frozen pipes to provide patient care during the coldest winter in 300 years. Valerie helps a young couple who experience a traumatic birth and Sister Julienne tries to reunite a family.

I was glad to be watching alone, what with all the crying, but I definitely look forward to the next season and the arrival of new cast member Leonie Elliott as Lucille, yay!

Edited by Violet Impulse
clarification
  • Love 1

The scene with Shelagh and the girdle was hysterical.  I remember my mother struggling with one, and I remember at the age of 5 thinking "Yeah, I'm NEVER wearing one of those."

The funniest thing was how they were all ignoring the fact that Trixie was so obviously pregnant.  The dressing gown, cape, swing coat, and cow costume all came in handy to hide Helen George's pregnancy. Counting the days until Season 7 starts.  Should be interesting - will Tom and Barbara's absence carry into the season?  And will Helen George's baby mean she is missing too?  Maybe they will finally give Sister Winifred an actual storyline. 

As always, a lovely way to end Christmas Day! 

• Love 11

The battle of the girdle goes down in history!

Did not like Sister Julianne pushing (even gently) Anthea to see her mother. I understand the reaction to abuse was quite different in 1962 but Anthea made it very clear that that part of her life was in the past, she's built a lovely and loving life for herself now and that she doesn't want to reopen old wounds. Sr. J should have let it go. 

The 'behind the scenes' bits said they were shooting this in May and Helen gave birth 6 weeks early in September. I wonder how much they really had to hide. 

• Love 7

I had no idea Helen George had a child earlier this year but the first time she appeared on screen I thought she was visibly pregnant.  Perhaps she is one of those women who show early, or just get bigger.  I have a co-worker who, in both her pregnancies, showed very early and near the end looked like she was carrying triplets, and then each time she delivered a 7 pound baby. 

I had a feeling when Selwyn’s hot water bottle was put in with the baby that there would be a Christmas miracle. So glad there was! Selwyn is a keeper. What a guy!

Too bad that old man wasn’t burned worse (and between his legs).

I love Judy Parfitt’s flame red hair and her little dog!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 8

I love how Sister Monica Joan is such a comfort to the sisters and midwives of Nonnatus House.  I remember in the first season someone recommended to Sister Julianne that Sister Monica Joan should be sent to the mother house because she was too much of a burden for the sister's to manage.  She argued that Sister Monica Joan did need extra care but she was also an essential part of their community.....and she is indeed.  She is a gentle, iron willed, grandmotherly presence that nurtures those in Nonnatus House who are in crisis.  When Sister Mary Cynthia was assaulted, when Phyllis struck a little boy with her car and lost her confidence and tonight when Val was doubting herself it was Sister Monica Joan who was able to reach them.  

• Love 14

I was surprised to see Shelagh's new baby with bare arms and legs, no hat, no socks.   No houses in the UK were warm in the winter, never mind with those temperatures.

(My mum was pregnant with me that winter and had an 18-month-old and a three year old.  And had a very steep hill to deal with.)

• Love 7

So nice to have a new episode, & it definitely felt like old CTM, not last season CTM which just left me feeling bad.

I wonder if the new intro was just for this show, or they've changed it permanently?

I don't remember Barbara & Tom getting married last season (I've blocked a lot of last season out of my mind), but they're obviously married now, I wonder if they'll be back for the new season.

Is Patsy coming back? Where is Delie?

I'm guessing Phyllis & the cranky policeman are going to be a couple.

• Love 1

First we lose Patsy and Delia, now Barbara and Tom have gone! Stop getting rid of my favourites, CTM!

Much better than last year's somewhat ill judged Xmas special. Cried at a couple of scenes, which is how it should be with this show. 

• Love 1

Can a baby be detached from the placenta that long before it's first breath and not be brain damaged in some way?  I wanted to hear someone tell  Selwyn that it was his hot water bottle that saved the baby.  I guess I just needed a few more minutes of explanation to tie that one up.

Barbara and Tom's story seemed completed with their wedding to me and I really like the new midwife.  I also liked that our last season nuns are still there (wasn't expecting Sister Mary Cynthia to return), and that the Turner family is still intact.   No more changes now please!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Did not like Sister Julianne pushing (even gently) Anthea to see her mother. I understand the reaction to abuse was quite different in 1962 but Anthea made it very clear that that part of her life was in the past, she's built a lovely and loving life for herself now and that she doesn't want to reopen old wounds. Sr. J should have let it go. 

I agree completely, and felt that the "kiss and make up and here are all your grandchildren" scene felt too "predictable."  If life with the dead husband was so bad, why didn't she leave after the kids left?  Even better, why didn't she leave WITH them . . . in order to protect them?

This is, admittedly, a sore topic for me, as I grew up in a similar situation, and my mother stayed with him even after all the kids left home.  He wasn't beating her, though . . . just abusing all the kids - male and female.  It's funny how similar to the CtM story that his unexpected death announcement was:  By nightfall of the day he died, his favorite recliner was out for the bulk trash pick-up, and his clothes were packed up for donation.  Every stitch.  However, she was so emotionally damaged by her guilt in letting us be molested that she could never learn to treat us with kindness or dignity.  Try as I might, there was never a possibility of true reconciliation.  That's more like real life.  It doesn't usually get wrapped up in a pretty bow by the end of an episode.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 16

I could see why Sister Julienne pushed for a reconciliation - that's simply in her job description. She did not push too hard IMO and handled the situation rather gracefully (if it had been me I'd stormed back to Doctor Turner giving him an ear-full for dumping all of this on me. Reason *547 I'm not a nun). But I wish they kept it at that - the reconciliation was a bit much. I guess they felt the need to wrap up everything tidily because it was the Christmas episode.

• Love 8

@AZChristian, So sorry to hear you went through all that. 

I can understand a woman being too timid to speak up for herself or to set off into the unknown with no money or prospects, but I would have thought maternal instincts would have made any of us brave enough to step up and protect our children.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, JudyObscure said:

@AZChristian, So sorry to hear you went through all that. 

I can understand a woman being too timid to speak up for herself or to set off into the unknown with no money or prospects, but I would have thought maternal instincts would have made any of us brave enough to step up and protect our children.

Thanks, Judy.  I recognize on an intellectual level that my female birth vessel (she was NEVER a mother) had to be really messed up because "maternal instinct" never existed in her.  But the fact that even after he was dead, she never accepted responsibility for her decisions kept us from ever developing a relationship.  It was her loss . . . I moved on and have a wonderful life now.

• Love 12

I enjoyed last year Christmas special because it was different, but it was nice to be back in Poplar. However, I did find the main stories to be predictable.

The predictable:

• The baby being stillborn/not stillborn I saw a mile away. As soon as the baby was born, I was all it’s just cold!!! And then I’m like oh it’s totally going to wake up when Val is on her way home.
  • When the guy said his wife was a cripple, I was oh I bet she’s only a cripple because you made her one.
  • The mother & daughter making up scene was also predictable. Personally I found it a bit unbelievable.
  • Barbara & Tom leaving wasn’t shocking; as soon as they started talking about a new church I was oh show just stop we know they are going to take the position. I would have been surprised if the show had had them stay.

Other thoughts:

• I liked that we saw Reggie again; I like when shows don’t forget about characters.
  • Selwyn and Patrick had me swooning. Selwyn with his love for the baby and Patrick with sewing the custom.   
  • Fred dressed up as a women was hilarious; although, I didn’t get why they were doing Jake and the beanstalk for a Christmas play?
  • Shelagh and the girdle was also funny, but I kept thinking just leave the stupid thing off!
  • Trixie snubbing the warm clothes because they weren't fashionable was very Trixie.  I still rolled my eyes though. 
  • Phyllis is getting a new romance with the grumpy policeman; not exactly excited about the prospect.
  • Obviously grumpy policeman is Peter’s replacement. I wonder if we will get any explanation of where Peter went.   
  • The writing for Sister Monica Joan gives me a bit of whiplash. She has dementia and needs to be watched 24/7, but no wait she's this insightful grandmother type. When my grandmother got bad dementia that was basically how she was all the time.  Now I get that everyone is different, but I find the flipping back and forth that the show does with SMJ a bit unbelievable. Saying that I still like SMJ.
  • When Barbara & Tom got up and left during the play, all I could think of was why didn't you sit in the back! 
  • Trixie/Helen was so very very obviously pregnant! This is probably mean, but I think Helen looks better with a bit of weight on her face. When she’s so thin she reminds me of the "big-eyed waifs paintings" by Margaret Keane.
  • Shallow -- Barbara’s hair looked really nice.
  • Really really shallow --Tom is still hot.

Questions:

• With Helen having a new baby; I wonder how much Trixie will be in the next season.
  • Who is this new midwife people are talking about? My episode did not feature any new midwife? The episode ended with Barbara & Tom leaving.
  • So is this how the show will write out Barbara & Tom? It fits the shows pattern “have the character leave for some reason (going to see a dying father, going to a silent house, leaving for the motherhouse etc. etc. etc.) then have them come back for an episode only to be written out again. The only character that didn’t follow this pattern was Trixie when she stayed in Africa. However, ever since Jenny left I've felt that Trixie has become more of the protagonist, so her not following the pattern makes since.

Saying all that I still enjoyed the episode.

Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Love 5

I think we still mean 'Valerie' when talking about the new midwife though technically she's no longer new.

Glad I'm not the only one who pegged Sergeant Walrus as possible love interest for Nurse Crane (the moment the idea sprang to my head I mumbled something about 'watching too much tv'). And as someone living in an Alpine resort I would have liked to explain to Trixie in great detail why she does not need her slingbacks even for après skiing.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Fireball said:

• Fred dressed up as a women was hilarious; although, I didn’t get why they were doing Jake and the beanstalk for a Christmas play?
  •  

Customarily during December in the UK theatres put on pantomimes, including Jack and the Beanstalk.  They feature broad humour and stock characters including a man dressed as a woman, a leading man played by a woman, and a "horse.."  Think Monty Python as opposed to The Nutcracker (and nothing to do with Christmas per se, except for the season).

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

First we lose Patsy and Delia, now Barbara and Tom have gone! Stop getting rid of my favourites, CTM!

Much better than last year's somewhat ill judged Xmas special. Cried at a couple of scenes, which is how it should be with this show. 

Are Patsy and Delia gone for good?  

Great article Allison! I'm going to miss listening to the podcasts if you don't do them for Season 7. As much as I enjoyed seeing the characters again, I have mixed feelings about the Christmas show. Some of it was too predictable. Did anyone other than me think it was weird that they would sing Sealed With A Kiss at the pantomime show? A song about summer in the middle of winter?

• Love 7
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Can a baby be detached from the placenta that long before it's first breath and not be brain damaged in some way? 

I wondered about that too, but I think what happened -- or what we're supposed to think happened -- is that the baby was breathing all along but his breaths were too shallow to be noticed.

2 hours ago, sabandrusty said:

Did anyone other than me think it was weird that they would sing Sealed With A Kiss at the pantomime show? A song about summer in the middle of winter?

Yes!  But didn't someone say that Barbara and Tom were coming back in September? 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Customarily during December in the UK theatres put on pantomimes, including Jack and the Beanstalk.  They feature broad humour and stock characters including a man dressed as a woman, a leading man played by a woman, and a "horse.."  Think Monty Python as opposed to The Nutcracker (and nothing to do with Christmas per se, except for the season).

I learned about pantos from watching Monty Python.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Calvada said:

The funniest thing was how they were all ignoring the fact that Trixie was so obviously pregnant. 

I have a crappy TV and have to read captions, but I didn't notice that Trixie was pregnant.  I also thought the baby was dead.  Showrunners must love me.

Hmm...but I do think we have a love interest for Phyllis, which is too bad because I want to be her best friend and I'm afraid he'd come between us.  Also, the dentist couldn't be further from my "type" if he tried, but that guy makes me swoon.

Did anyone else notice that whoever it was who as talking to Barbara about how Tom couldn't make up his mind about the new position--I can't keep the nuns straight even after all these years--anyway, she said she never thought of Tom as a prevaricator, but I don't think that's the right word.  I thought he was just unsure and waffling, and I think there's a word that starts with "p" for that but I can't for the life of me think of what it is.

Also, I'm always amazed at the adorable babies they find, and they really hit a home run with Patrick & Shelagh's little girl.  When Patrick motioned for her to smile during the play, the smile she gave is cute beyond description.  And I don't even like kids! 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Also, I'm always amazed at the adorable babies they find, and they really hit a home run with Patrick & Shelagh's little girl.

She's a favorite of mine, too.  I love the deep connection she has with her big brother.

What I don't like very much is the show's insistence that stay-at-home mothers, even  in the pre-pamper & microwave days, just don't have enough to do, and all really good women (like Chummy and Shelagh)  will be itching to get back to the job the second they can get their girdles back on.  It is fortunate for them that they can take their babies along and count on them never being colicky or fussy and their toddlers are happy to sit still all day with a coloring book. 

Also Dr. Turner, as a woman who wears glasses, I've always hated being described as the woman who wears glasses.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

When Patrick motioned for her to smile during the play, the smile she gave is cute beyond description. 

So adorable!  I also found it funny that all she did was smile, Angela didn't even try to do the hand motions.  So true to kids that age!  "Okay, I'm smiling, that's it, right?"

I thought Selwyn's gesture of not sending a baby out in the cold with nothing warm was lovely.  And I also thought the baby would stay dead, so it caught my heart.  As did his tears as he burned the bloody linen.  And both of their joy at the baby living was wonderful.  I think Trixie did the best she could to prepare them.  I felt for Valerie too, how do you recover from an error such as that?

I think Sister Monica Joan is a combination of slow senility, lucid moments and outright wilfulness.  So I can buy needing to keep an eye on her juxtaposed with having the right words at the right time.

I am deceased at Shelagh vs. Girdle.  Awesome.  I laughed forever. 

• Love 6

Loved the whole episode. It wasn't overly dramatic, just enough to have a little teary session.

I knew that Trixie was pregnant  before the episode aired, but they did a good job of covering it. She's shown wearing her fur jacket, wearing a smock at the play, and of course her nurse's cape covers everything. 

The girdle episode was priceless, my mother had a playtex girdle that was rubber(latex)  and Shelagh reminded of me of my mother hopping and twisting to put on the darned  thing.

I do miss the cast members that left, Chummy and Peter, Sister Evangeline, and Sister Mary Cynthia, but Valerie fell into her character easily, and Phyllis will give the crabby policeman a run for his money. The casting directors have done a great job in choosing the right person for the role. Even the replacements ease in and become liked by the audience. Can't wait for the regular season to begin. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

I thought Selwyn's gesture of not sending a baby out in the cold with nothing warm was lovely.  And I also thought the baby would stay dead, so it caught my heart.  As did his tears as he burned the bloody linen.  And both of their joy at the baby living was wonderful.  I think Trixie did the best she could to prepare them.  I felt for Valerie too, how do you recover from an error such as that?

A couple of things about that.  First of all, thanks for mentioning what he was burning--I'd forgotten that I couldn't tell, and it looked like something wrapped in newspaper on my crappy TV.

And I was wondering, "How's she going to get that thing out of there on her bike?"  Then she put it in her bag, thank heavens.

And I was pleased the baby didn't stay dead, of course, but thought his resurrection was a bit much.  It felt too TV-y.  Like you, I wonder how Valerie could ever recover from something like that. 

As for Trixie preparing them, that made me mad.  I don't think she needed to come bursting in screaming, "IT'S ALIIIIIIVE!!!" but hey, it's good news.  Just tell them, and don't make them wait a single nanosecond longer than they have to.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

A couple of things about that.  First of all, thanks for mentioning what he was burning--I'd forgotten that I couldn't tell, and it looked like something wrapped in newspaper on my crappy TV.

And I was pleased the baby didn't stay dead, of course, but thought his resurrection was a bit much.  It felt too TV-y.  

As for Trixie preparing them, that made me mad.  I don't think she needed to come bursting in screaming, "IT'S ALIIIIIIVE!!!" but hey, it's good news.  Just tell them, and don't make them wait a single nanosecond longer than they have to.

It looked like newspaper to me too.  I assume it was the placenta.

All I could think was "Christmas miracle".

I totally agree about Trixie.  She made it worse by making it sound as though she was consoling them for the death.

• Love 6

I was reading up on Helen George (Trixie) and found out her baby's daddy is Jack Ashton who plays Rev Tom on the show.  Well, now.

Back on topic...it is absolutely freezing here in Ohio with single digits expected tonight, so I was feeling their cold in a personal way.

Edited by Suzysite
  • Love 5

ITA - I think I would have started by saying "I have the most wonderful news for you!" or something along those lines.  Those poor people have had some time thinking the baby is dead, so I'm sure they could sustain the "shock" of good news, and there was no need to lead up to it.  

Wasn't that a story line in the first season, where they thought the baby was dead?  The woman who had many, many children, who delivered early, and they put the tiny, very premature baby in a basin thinking he was dead, and then he moved?  At least then they didn't put him in their equipment bag! And how awful is that?  How could you ever use that bag again?  

• Love 2

Can a baby be detached from the placenta that long before it's first breath and not be brain damaged in some way? 

Based on my own experience, I doubt it.  I was born 2 months prematurely in 1970.  My mother was hemorrhaging, and doctors tried to stop the labor, trapping me in the birth canal without oxygen.  I ended up with cerebral palsy, which is a form of brain damage that affects mobility and the use of one's muscles.  At the time of my birth, a nurse specifically told my mother to pray that I was a girl.  Mom said that the nurse said that girls are often stronger than boys at birth, making my survival more likely.  I also spent time in an incubator, and I was baptized by a nurse (don't know if it was the same one) just in case.

So, yeah, Tom should have probably baptized the baby and while he very likely could have survived, I think some permanent damage would have been expected...the degree of which wouldn't have likely been noticeable until years later.  I was about 2 when my parents learned that all was not A-OK with me. 

However, that would have not made for as happy of a Christmas special.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 5

Overall, very satisfying with lots of highs and lows. I am a bit perplexed by the whole Barbara and Tom thing. Now if Nurse Crane were to take off for 6 months, that would be a big deal.  Can't do without a weekly dose of Phyllis.

I had a suspicion that the baby would be alive as soon as Selwyn (what a sweetie) put the hot water bottle in the bag.  And, yes, Trixie might have been a tad bit more excited about the good news.  

Mr. Tillerson, may he rest in hell.  What a difficult story to tell but they did a good job of it.  Sr. J showed all of the horror on her face that we were all feeling.  AZChristian, my condolences on a horrific upbringing.  You are a rock to be able to share that in such a matter-of-fact manner.

I thought he was just unsure and waffling, and I think there's a word that starts with "p" for that but I can't for the life of me think of what it is.

I think you are looking for "procrastinator".

Please do not let Sgt. Walrus be a love interest for our dear Phyllis.  She deserves so much better.

Loved seeing Reggie again.

Also loved the written recap - I absolutely hate the podcasts.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Ohmo said:

Based on my own experience, I doubt it.  I was born 2 months prematurely in 1970.

Thanks for answering my question, Ohmo. I'm so sorry you and your Mom had such an horrific birth experience.  We think it's modern times and that childbirth is a piece of cake now, but it's not really.

Your time in the incubator reminded me of another odd thing -- I thought sure, after all that, the mother would be brought to the hospital where she and the baby would be warm and cozy for a few weeks.  I never dreamed they would ever wheel an incubator into a caravan.

• Love 9

I alway love when this show comes back and the Christmas episode. It's negative zero here in Chicago so I know how those people felt. 

I as usual cried several times but I expected to knowing this show. The only part , person, I didn't like was grumpy policeman Captain Kangaroo. I have a bad feeling he's a new regular. 

Can't wait for Spring 2018, wish they had given us the date. 

Your time in the incubator reminded me of another odd thing -- I thought sure, after all that, the mother would be brought to the hospital where she and the baby would be warm and cozy for a few weeks.  I never dreamed they would ever wheel an incubator into a caravan.

I thought that was kind of bizarre.  I get wanting to show them the kid was okay, but surely they were all off to hospital after that?  I didn't even think that trailer had electricity, much less the resources needed to support a newborn in an incubator in the middle of a long lasting deep freeze. 

The writing for Sister Monica Joan gives me a bit of whiplash. She has dementia and needs to be watched 24/7, but no wait she's this insightful grandmother type. When my grandmother got bad dementia that was basically how she was all the time.  Now I get that everyone is different, but I find the flipping back and forth that the show does with SMJ a bit unbelievable. Saying that I still like SMJ.

I agree.  They do kind of play fast and loose with her characterization.  The reality is that after that Christmas special where she took off on her own to return to her childhood home, freaked everyone out big time and nearly died, I doubt she would still be at Nonataus House.  She would be considered too big a risk, and it's doubtful the sisters would have the resources to give her the kind of care she needs.    

• Love 2

I have to admit to having a bit of a PTSD flashback during this ep.

I completely identified with Tillerson at first (before we learned what an asshole he was) because years ago I had a run-in with a humidifier and burned my leg. And much like Tillerson my burns were made worse by the fact I was wearing polyester yoga pants. I remember the nurse in the burn ward debriding my burn pretty much the same way Dr. Turner did and honestly, when I think back, that nurse was every bit as steely and lovely as one of our midwives.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

The only part , person, I didn't like was grumpy policeman Captain Kangaroo. I have a bad feeling he's a new regular. 

I hope not.  I like that writers are realizing that middle-aged and older people can also find love, but every male-female interaction shouldn't lead to romance.  It's not a given that older singles are gonna be lonely and looking and grateful for any kind of attention.  He was being a jerk. 

• Love 14

I thought the ambulance with the baby was basically going to pick up the mother and take them both to hospital, and the wheeling the incubator in was just for the reveal, which is stupid, but I didn't think they were both then going to remain in the caravan more than about five minutes.

• Love 8

The baby wasn't without oxygen. I think it was Sister Julienne who said that his breathing must've been so shallow and his heartbeat so faint that it didn't register with Val. She didn't have a stethoscope. Also something about her filling his lungs. I thought the baby would "revive" when the hot water bottle was put in with him. Took long enough! 

I don't usually watch things that set out to make me cry, but for some reason I just can't quit CtM.   

• Love 3

I thought that was kind of bizarre.  I get wanting to show them the kid was okay, but surely they were all off to hospital after that?  I didn't even think that trailer had electricity, much less the resources needed to support a newborn in an incubator in the middle of a long lasting deep freeze. 

I thought the ambulance with the baby was basically going to pick up the mother and take them both to hospital, and the wheeling the incubator in was just for the reveal, which is stupid, but I didn't think they were both then going to remain in the caravan more than about five minutes.

That was very odd.  I too thought that they were bringing the ambulance to get the mother and would reunite her with the baby in the vehicle.  It seems that they are in the hospital later when Tom comes in to check on them.

I wondered about that too, but I think what happened -- or what we're supposed to think happened -- is that the baby was breathing all along but his breaths were too shallow to be noticed.

One of the nuns suggested that Val missed the baby's life signs because they were too shallow or too faint.  While the thought crossed my mind when Selwyn gave her the hot water bottle to put with the baby, I was actually surprised when the baby suddenly started crying.

I learned about pantos from watching Monty Python.

As did many of us!

Please do not let Sgt. Walrus be a love interest for our dear Phyllis.  She deserves so much better.

Agreed!  I hated his "approval" of her solution to the milk crisis.  As if she needed his validation!

(btw: Captain Kangaroo only blustered rightfully at the cruel jokes Mr. Moose would play on him)

Did anyone other than me think it was weird that they would sing Sealed With A Kiss at the pantomime show? A song about summer in the middle of winter?

Yes, I did!  I laughed and wondered if it was just a popular song (release June 1962) or was it wishful thinking about warm weather.  Either way, I would pay to be in the group singing along with them.  They looked to be having a lot of fun!

Edited by elle
1 hour ago, NeverLate said:

I love that the baby was alive, even if I guessed he was. I just had a feeling. Is Barbara coming back when it starts again, or, have we lost another. This show always makes me weepy, it never fails.

It was confirmed after season 6 ended that the actors playing Patsy, Delia, Sister Mary Cynthia, and Sgt. Noakes were not returning, but no one else was mentioned then so I imagine we’ll see Barbara (and Tom) again. We don’t yet know how much show time will have passed from the Christmas special to the beginning of season 7, either. 

• Love 2

I also saw an article over the summer where Judy Parfitt said(months prior to me reading the article) her health was declining and she wasn't sure she would be back from s7, so I wonder if we may lose her in s7 too.  I do believe though, that all the people who left recently (Noakes, Patsy, Delia, Cynthia, and even Chum) all have open ended passes to return though,  so they may not be gone for good, they may just be gone for s7..... it is too soon to tell.  

I liked this episode. I was disappointed that it wasn't a 2 hour long special like the past several years, but oh well.   Trixie (IMO) looked more pregnant in some scenes than others, that I wondered if they had gone back and filmed them later or refilmed some scenes towards the end. Im rather glad that they are choosing to just ignore her pregnancy instead of trying to find away to include, or (god forbid) they pull a Fraiser and just call her fat and in desperate a diet. 

Sister Julienne had said that Val performing CPR had probably gotten the lungs to expand on the baby, but that the pulse and breathing were likely to shallow for her to pick up, so the baby hadn't been without Oxygen that whole time, just taking little shallow breathes.  

I was half expecting Tom to start a crisis of faith arc, after his telling Barbara about not being sure if he is being called at all.