Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E00: Christmas Special 2017

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, caitmcg said:

My mother went to high school in New York State in the ‘50s, and not only had to wear skirts to school (to which she walked) no matter the weather, she says her thighs would get so cold they’d practically chap from that walk, as there was not yet full length tights or hose then. At least the nuns and midwives (save Trixie) embraced long underwear. 

We were dresses only too, in my elementary school in Colorado. We used to wear snow pants (big bulky things) and shove the dresses into them). Then later, in my high school years, I idiotically chose to wear mini skirts in the cold - despite the fact that wearing slacks was allowed by then.

• Love 2
On 12/31/2017 at 11:24 AM, Popples said:

Just got around to watching this, and I'm so happy I picked up a 3-pack of tissues at the supermarket on Friday.

• Since Peter was so close to the midwives, it looks like the new police officer's relationship with them will be more of an abrasive one. I do not want him with Phyllis.
  • It was so lovely to see Reggie again and that he's spends a lot of time with Fred and Violet.
  • Timothy's "I have to go check the thermometer" reaction after Shelagh oversharing her breastfeeding schedule was great. Shelagh trying to put on that girdle was even better.
  • They got me with thinking the baby was stillborn. Trixie could have delivered the news that he wasn't better than that.
  • I detested the storyline to reconcile with an abuser's enabler. Even though they weren't as pushy like with the mother who had planned to give her child up for adoption to her cousin, because she could barely afford her other children, this one was so much worse to me.

I was in hysterics. I also liked when she caught Patrick with the pies. 

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, MissLucas said:

Barbara and Tom married in the season finale. How can you forget hot, disheveled Tom after a night out with Fred and the boys? And then he hired a carousel for the wedding because of a childhood memory of Barbara, awww. It was all so romantic, there was lovely snow and Patsy and Delia finally kissed!

Only one correction: that wasn't the first time they showed Patsy and Delia kissing.  There was something in a earlier season.  But I think it was only those two times.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Only one correction: that wasn't the first time they showed Patsy and Delia kissing.  There was something in a earlier season.  But I think it was only those two times.

There was one previous occasion when they were leaning in for a kiss, but someone came along and they had to pull away. The S6 finale was the first time we saw a complete kiss.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

. We used to wear snow pants (big bulky things) and shove the dresses into them.

Snow pants! Yes!  We also wore regular pants,  corduroys or dungarees (with the plaid flannel lining) pulled up under our skirts.  Then when we got to school we took them off and hung them with our other wraps in the cloakroom.  Cloakroom mind you.  My gosh, I'm old.

• Love 9

The "Big Freeze" behind-the-scenes video on pbs.org had glimpses of two scenes I think were not in the PBS version: Sister Monica Joan finding the milk bottles had frozen and expanded milk-sicles up through the lids, and Phyllis standing in a room while the power went out.

I didn't cry! Maybe because I paused it several times.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

The "Big Freeze" behind-the-scenes video on pbs.org had glimpses of two scenes I think were not in the PBS version: Sister Monica Joan finding the milk bottles had frozen and expanded milk-sicles up through the lids, and Phyllis standing in a room while the power went out.

I didn't cry! Maybe because I paused it several times.

I was wondering why the didn’t show a scene like that. It’s what I remember most about milk from bottles being delivered. The milk would freeze and push the paper lid/stopper up until it looked like a little hat on top of a white column. They looked so funny.

However, if you left the milk out too long the bottle might burst and we’d wouldn’t  be able to  drink it when it melted for fear of drinking tiny shards of glass. 

• Love 4

I know Sister Winifred has always been the young fun-loving nun, but I was surprised to see her playing musical chairs with Trixie, Val, and Christopher. I thought swaying her hips in the presence of a man would be considered inappropriate. 

I like Barbara, so I hope she and Tom aren't actually leaving the show and will return by mid-season. This show has a high cast turnover rate compared to any other scripted show I watch. I also don't watch any other British series, so I'm curious if actors leaving high profile shows is a common thing across the pond?

The Tillerson story went in the complete opposite direction than how I initially thought it would. When the old man walked into the clinic, I thought he was adorable and I thought it was going to be a story about how his untimely death would lead to the nuns having to find a new home for his poor old wife. But when Mrs. Tillerson started to tell her story, I was left utterly shocked. Damn, what a bastard.

I adore Phyllis so if that cop that looks like Wilford Brimley is supposed to be her love interest they better tone down the asshole-ish behavior; I do not find his blowhard attitude charming. And they better not have Phyllis chase after him. I don't care how old she is, after being alone for so long (and that disastrous flirtation with the married man a few seasons ago), she deserves to be wooed and pampered by a prospective beau. 

I agree with everyone who said that Trixie's way of breaking the happy news to Linda and Selwyn was perhaps the worst way of doing it. She sounded like she was going to hand them a stray puppy to make up for the loss instead of handing them their back-from-the-dead baby. Sheesh, Trixie. I loved how devoted Selwyn was to Linda and the baby, and I'm glad it looked like Linda finally loved him back by episode's end. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, caitmcg said:

There was one previous occasion when they were leaning in for a kiss, but someone came along and they had to pull away. The S6 finale was the first time we saw a complete kiss.

I'm pretty sure I saw an actual kiss, but I'd need to watch again and that isn't happening this week.  Either way, they deserved more to their storyline.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm pretty sure I saw an actual kiss, but I'd need to watch again and that isn't happening this week.  Either way, they deserved more to their storyline.

If they had, believe me you'd be able to find it on youtube.

58 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Challenge accepted:

Right: The one kiss, in the last episode and final scene for both characters. If there was a previous kiss, I sure missed it in my recent full-series rewatch, and so did everyone who'd been complaining all along about the lack of an onscreen kiss.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

Right: The one kiss, in the last episode and final scene for both characters. If there was a previous kiss, I sure missed it in my recent full-series rewatch, and so did everyone who'd been complaining all along about the lack of an onscreen kiss.

Sorry it's the wrong one, wasn't keeping track apparently. "Challenge accepted:" wasn't meant to be taken in any serious fashion. Need to remember to write so my intent is sufficiently understood.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
On 12/25/2017 at 10:32 PM, Calvada said:

The scene with Shelagh and the girdle was hysterical.  I remember my mother struggling with one, and I remember at the age of 5 thinking "Yeah, I'm NEVER wearing one of those."

The funniest thing was how they were all ignoring the fact that Trixie was so obviously pregnant.  The dressing gown, cape, swing coat, and cow costume all came in handy to hide Helen George's pregnancy. Counting the days until Season 7 starts.  Should be interesting - will Tom and Barbara's absence carry into the season?  And will Helen George's baby mean she is missing too?  Maybe they will finally give Sister Winifred an actual storyline. 

As always, a lovely way to end Christmas Day! 

Ah her pregnancy makes so much sense! When she put on the second silk robe I thought her bust looked a bit larger than normal?

On 12/27/2017 at 5:22 PM, ali59 said:

Prevaricate is definitely the wrong word - : to deviate from the truth.  Procrastinate sort of works - to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done.  Vacillate would be a more accurate word -: to waver in mind, will, or feeling : hesitate in choice of opinions or courses.  Sorry, no other "P" word in site.

It seems there's some disagreement about the usage of the term "prevaricate." 

pre·var·i·cate

prəˈverəˌkāt/

verb

speak or act in an evasive way.

"he seemed to prevaricate when journalists asked pointed questions"

synonyms:be evasive, beat around the bush, hedge, fence, shilly-shally, dodge (the issue), sidestep (the issue), equivocate, waffle;

Usage Note: The traditional meaning of prevaricate is "to speak or write evasively." In recent years, a second sense has developed, meaning "to behave in an indecisive manner; delay or procrastinate," perhaps influenced by equivocate, which primarily means "to speak evasively" but can also mean "to be indecisive." In American English, this second sense is widely considered an error, and a large majority of the Usage Panel finds it unacceptable. In 2011, 78 percent of the Panel disapproved of the "delay" sense of the word as used in the sentence He prevaricated for some two years before accepting the new design for production. This usage is more commonly encountered in British English, as in this quotation from the BBC News: As the industry prevaricated, sales collapsed.

• Love 6

I don't remember the scene where Patrick and Trixie successfully deliver a baby girl in the maternity home.

It seemed to be filler. No back story -  just a sweaty woman, forceps, some whiffs of gas, baby is born, everybody smiles.  About 20 minutes in.

Obviously Timothy thought it was over the top but I have found that a lot of new moms tend to have no filters when talking about anything related to their babies.  Endless updates on feeding, rashes, bowel movements, vaccinations.  TMI at times, even for me, and I'm a nurse.

I guess the new moms I've been around haven't been like that.  The scene/conversation also for some reason felt too modern to me; I don't know why but it did. But then I also felt the way Patrick helped with the birth of their son was to modern. 

With Shelagh and Dr. Turner, it's also worth remembering that they are a nurse and a doctor, who are probably used to talking about medical terms, bodily functions, etc. all the time at work. I think Shelagh was speaking more from the perspective of a medical professional interested in these sorts of things than as a typical new mom. Poor Timothy just got caught in the middle of the breastfeeding discussion!

• Love 7
On 12/26/2017 at 5:48 PM, Suzysite said:

Back on topic...it is absolutely freezing here in Ohio with single digits expected tonight, so I was feeling their cold in a personal way.

Here in D.C. as well. And if that kind of cold was so unusual in England, they should've been bundled up more. Especially wearing hats!

• Love 1
On 1/2/2018 at 2:34 AM, caitmcg said:

My mother went to high school in New York State in the ‘50s, and not only had to wear skirts to school (to which she walked) no matter the weather, she says her thighs would get so cold they’d practically chap from that walk, as there was not yet full length tights or hose then. At least the nuns and midwives (save Trixie) embraced long underwear. 

I am from Upstate, too, and although that era was a little bit before my time, girls could only wear pants if it was below zero.

• Love 1
On 1/2/2018 at 11:10 PM, bunnyblue said:

I agree with everyone who said that Trixie's way of breaking the happy news to Linda and Selwyn was perhaps the worst way of doing it. She sounded like she was going to hand them a stray puppy to make up for the loss instead of handing them their back-from-the-dead baby. 

Even as I watched it, I thought it sounded like she was going to give them someone else's baby.

I want to know the name of the rock and roll song playing in the background when Mother superior reaches out to a woman who is trying to forgive her parent for letting her father molest her and rape her. This woman has a teenage daughter playing a rock and roll record in the background and it starts to get louder... The woman tells her kid to turn that noise down... lol I would love to know who sang it and its title .

call midwife xmas2017.jpg

Edited by ROZIERTIM
add pic to help answer my question

when the Phyllis and the boys are building the igloo, the children are out there in shorts. It's bizarre. Is that historically accurate?

Piling on here, but in the early 70's, my sister and I were at boarding in the South of England. Our winter uniform was a tweed skirt (generally only one, which was worn every day for 2 1/2 months), a flannel shirt with tie, and a V-necked sweater. We got a clean shirt every week.

If you were under 13, you wore knee socks all year round. If you were 13 - 15, you wore thick, ribbed stocking with a suspender belt. If you were over 15, you wore panty hose (people had great fun dropping dilute sulphuric acid on panty hose to create holes of various sizes. We had indoor and outdoor shoes.

I remember winters, even indoors, being really cold. In knee socks, our bare knees were ashy, and we had chilblains in fingers and toes. We spent as much time as possible hugging the radiators.  

We were very envious of kids in state schools who were allowed to wear thick tights with their school uniforms. :-)

12 hours ago, ROZIERTIM said:

I want to know the name of the rock and roll song playing in the background when Mother superior reaches out to a woman who is trying to forgive her parent for letting her father molest her and rape her. This woman has a teenage daughter playing a rock and roll record in the background and it starts to get louder... The woman tells her kid to turn that noise down... lol I would love to know who sang it and its title .

call midwife xmas2017.jpg

Took me a while to find where this was (as there were at least a couple of visits if not more), but the scene where they were peeling potatoes together had "Wipeout" by the Surfaris playing in the background.

Edited by Anothermi
added link

This recently arrived on Netflix, so I just watched it. Even with a couple of missteps, I enjoyed it far more than last season's Christmas special. It was almost like old-school CtM.  

The Tillerson story was dicey. Actually, like someone else above, I was expecting a more predictable storyline of the bereaved, dependent widow. When Mrs. Tillerson said her husband always controlled everything in his life, but he couldn't control his death - and added "And I was glad!" I sat up straight. Not going the way I expected, for sure. Sister Julienne's dawning horror as the story came out was very well done. Actually that whole scene was very good. But when the daughter told her side, things got a little iffy. I think it's correct for the times as well as her vocation that Sister Julienne would have urged a reconciliation. But to a modern audience more aware of the issues at hand, it strikes a wrong note. I do think Sister J. handled it's about as well as could be expected. She didn't push too hard, and she left with words of praise for how Anthea had lived her life. This being the Christmas special, I knew Anthea would show up at the party. It was pat, and uncomfortable, but I actually think the actress playing Anthea did a nice job of showing that discomfort and some reservation. The whole plot was helped along for me because Sister Julienne had a featured role. That's part of what made it seem like the old CtM.  

The still birth story was a real stretch, but fitting as a "Christmas miracle" in this type of episode. I expect shows are wary of going too extreme for Christmas eps after the Downton Abbey backlash. I was tipped off by the water bottle in the bag, and then the camera kept lingering on the bag, so I was pretty sure the baby was going to start crying. But they sure let us hang long enough.  Trixie's announcement was absurd and made no sense. Val should have been the one to tell them the good news. I felt so sorry for her - imagine how you would feel knowing you almost left a newborn to die.  

I am meh on Tom, so that plotline didn't worry me either way. The rest of the small moments were mostly warm and reassuring and CtM-like. Glad I finally got to catch up with this episode.

On 5/2/2018 at 9:15 PM, peggy06 said:

The Tillerson story was dicey. Actually, like someone else above, I was expecting a more predictable storyline of the bereaved, dependent widow. When Mrs. Tillerson said her husband always controlled everything in his life, but he couldn't control his death - and added "And I was glad!" I sat up straight. Not going the way I expected, for sure. Sister Julienne's dawning horror as the story came out was very well done. Actually that whole scene was very good. But when the daughter told her side, things got a little iffy. I think it's correct for the times as well as her vocation that Sister Julienne would have urged a reconciliation. But to a modern audience more aware of the issues at hand, it strikes a wrong note. I do think Sister J. handled it's about as well as could be expected. She didn't push too hard, and she left with words of praise for how Anthea had lived her life. This being the Christmas special, I knew Anthea would show up at the party. It was pat, and uncomfortable, but I actually think the actress playing Anthea did a nice job of showing that discomfort and some reservation. The whole plot was helped along for me because Sister Julienne had a featured role. That's part of what made it seem like the old CtM.  

felt the same on the Tillerson story. I really was not expecting him to be evil. Then Sr. J started talking to the wife and my first thought was that this elderly lady was odd--the couldn't control his death stuff. . and then ok, not what I was expecting. 

I wish we all could have a Sister J in our lives to help guide us through tough moments.

I was a bit confused by the milk storyline partly because I've only known milk as something I buy at the store. Why did the milk bottles seem to get tossed in the trash vs held on for when things started to melt? the collection, cleaning, milk delivered part--how long did that take? I'm just not familiar with that whole thing.

I watched this right after we melted from a long, cold week of worrying about losing power and water (luckily we did not). So it was kind of odd timing to see CtM dealing with even colder weather and I felt for them when they said it wasn't going to improve for 10 days. 

I was distracted by the short pants and everyone not seeming that warmly dressed. I hate being cold. I realize this is tv but still. It made me feel cold watching them. 

I hope that Barbara and Tom come back--them leaving took away from me liking the episode.