Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E08: Playing with the Devil

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

What a shock, another woman goes home.  I’m disappointed Desi is not only gone, but barely got any airtime all season.  Being part of tribes that never lost didn’t help, and not being a Probst fave or super fan trying to create an audition to return 5 more times in future seasons sealed her fate from a footage perspective.  May Lauren be the last woman standing.  And if Chrissy is the last woman standing, may all the remaining men she thought she was working with vote her out unanimously.

While I’m over advantages on this show (idols are enough), I’m so happy Lauren found it!  At least she won’t be an obnoxious super fan about it.  Now, hopefully she uses it correctly and isn’t doomed to repeat the downfalls of other past advantage holders.  That is kind of a cool advantage, though hope it wouldn’t put a target on her.  I didn’t expect much from her pre-show but I’ve really enjoyed her.  A Lauren win might make Probst’s head explode, but I’d be down for it.

When it comes to idols and clues, I wish they’d be more consistent.  Some seasons the clues are buried in food and it’s a free for all, other times they are hidden in trees and let someone accumulate every idol on the island as a result.

I can’t wait until the mega alliance starts turning on each other.

• Love 22

Wow, was not expecting that second vote. I guess I understand it from a game perspective, but Joe really is annoying.

Speaking of Joe, both him and Cole are getting two of the worst edits I have seen in some time. Joe is obnoxious and Cole is an immature, petulant child. And both are bullies in their own ways.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 22

I was just starting to kind of like this season - last episode and this season, and then this.  Ugh.  Joe and Desi (and Devon) were my favourites.  This is kindaaa ehhhhhhhhhh

Desi leaving is a huge disappointment, and it was heartbreaking.

More "ticks" from Ben.  Ben decides he "just doesn't like" a person extremely often.  Every 5 minutes.  "I just don't like _______."  Ok Ben.  This is kind of like torture isn't it, putting this kind of person in a competition like this?  I don't know if this will come off as insensitive but I think he needs some time to relax at home.  He's so easily messed with and I lost some love for Joe because he knew it and purposely messed with him.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 17

These people suck voting off my Desi! Now we have to suffer another week of Joe. I wish they would catch onto Ryan, in a sense he's running the game and he's smart. No one else thought about hiding that plate except him and he managed to get that idol under everyone's noses. 

• Love 21

Oh dear God I am hating these people!!  I used to like Ben but I'm not liking him now... something about him. Of course people STILL don't learn to keep their damn mouth shut when they find an advantage and/or idol.  Are you sure you're going to share that with the person you're telling?  And why would you?  

I wanted Joe gone.  I'm pissed Chrissy and Ryan are just moving along and not on anybody's.  That's 3 people I want out!  I'm still having problems finding someone to root for.  I'm angry Desi was out tonight.  I guess it's Dr. Mike for me..ugh

• Love 10

Ugh.  I liked Desi.  I didn't want her to go.  But I was worried when we didn't see her doing much to save herself beyond trusting Joe.  I had hoped the editors were just trying to set us up for a surprise.  

Joe seemed like a more obvious choice for them to vote out.  But the editing showed him looking oddly suspicious when Lauren switched her advantage for the blank vote, and I wonder if he suspects something.

Aww, Devon likes being a bright light.  I actually believe that's true in his case.  And I liked the little self-deprecating "I don't even know what I'm talking about" thing he did after saying that.

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Wow, was not expecting that second vote. I guess i understand it from a game perspective, but Joe really is annoying.

Speaking of Joe, both him and Cole are getting two of the worst edits I have seen in some time. Joe is obnoxious and Cole is an immature, petulant child. And both are bullies in their own ways.

Which means they'll probably both be back.  Joe as a villain, and Cole to redeem himself (because I don't really consider him a villain in the Survivor sense).  Just a food-greedy dumbass.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ElleryAnne said:

Joe seemed like a more obvious choice for them to vote out.  But the editing showed him looking oddly suspicious when Lauren switched her advantage for the blank vote, and I wonder if he suspects something.

He reads faces, you know.

• Love 12

Nobody should eat spaghetti with their hands, even on Survivor.  And given Cole's past history in the tribe, I'm surprised we didn't see anyone complain that Joe didn't make Cole go last - or at least, last other than Joe himself.

Chrissy and Ryan go from reasonably smart (looking for the idol at the reward) to really stupid (whispering while right next to another player). 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, ihartcoffee said:

That 'reward' meal was disgusting,  and the men made pigs of themselves.  The fighting for the idol that was already found was hilarious!  Survivor Gold!

Why not Joe?? Really people? I guess Desi was more of a physical threat? 

She is more of an immunity threat and I have seen nothing to indicate that people didn't liek her personally unlike Joe who everyone seems to hate/find annoying or another words.. a goat

Hate to see Desi go but I understand the vote.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I used to like Ben but I'm not liking him now... something about him.

I think he can be difficult for sure, and seems like he's very easy to anger.  So yeah.  I still think his background is a net positive every time it's mentioned, though. I still think it's something that you bring up for a possible winner.

And once again, for Joe to mess with him on his word in that way was kinda low. 

• Love 13

OK Lauren, how are they going to see you do it when it's a secret ballot! You have pockets. Use them!  So production makes her use her bra...

Maybe she does have to make sure it's a lop-sided vote, so her missing vote won't get any attention.

The one I dislike the most gets auto reward.  Ugh.

Reward.  Carbs, carbs, lettuce and alcohol, OK

Quite the twist on the reward eating.  I always like when these post-merge pecking order things show up.

I hope Joe's order bites him in the ass.  

Cole stumbles on the clue, has a flash of brilliance hiding the clue.   Then totally blows it when they get back to camp.  LOL!

Of course Weasel boy snags it, but I give him credit for hiding the plate so Joe wouldn't know anything and then jumping on it when Cole went off into Stupidland.

Immunity

Mike goes soft.  Target Joe down!  Bye Devin.  Bummer Lauren.  Bye Weasel.  Ash down. Yeah!, Crissy down.  Ben too.  Bummer I thought Desi had this.  

Wow.  Cole can really focus when he has to.

I so want Joe gone, but experience tells me it won't happen.  Woot! There it is!  Bye Desi.

Lauren.  Did you have to use this advantage tonight?  Looks like she used it and then took it back on the re-vote.  cool!

I like her, but I hope Ben doesn't drag her down, or ratfuck her at the end.  

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I wish we could see Ashley go up to Joe and say, "could you read my face that time?"

I just realized the showmance between Ashley and JP has completely disappeared as a thing anybody is concerned with now.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

OK Lauren, how are they going to see you do it when it's a secret ballot! You have pockets. Use them!  So production makes her use her bra...

The other players can you see at the voting booth and if they see her reacing into her pockets they will know something is up. Hiding it in her bra was teh smart play there.

• Love 21
11 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Lauren.  Did you have to use this advantage tonight?  Looks like she used it and then took it back on the re-vote.  cool!

I like her, but I hope Ben doesn't drag her down, or ratfuck her at the end.  

Took it back on the revote? I don't think so. She shoved a blank parchment off the front of the table and then faked like she was putting a vote into the urn.

• Love 11

I can understand why Lauren wanted to talk to Ben about her advantage. She knew their plan was to split the votes, but with her not voting, it would be a tie.

I was waiting for someone to count on their fingers.... count heads of the people there....look up with a puzzled look on their face.... and mouth the words “How can there be a tie???”  Not one of them figured it out. If they did and it was edited out, I’m going to be pissed. I want to see Probst explain it to them.

Seeing Ryan’s heart beating made me stop...back up...look one more time to make sure I was seeing this. OMG... right out of a horror movie. 

The brawl for the idol turned out to be comical, to me, and Ryan was very slick in the way he found it, told Chrissy to cover the hole, and BOOM! LOL

I loved Desi, I will miss her. Joe reminds me so much of an obnoxious asshole I worked with in advertising, I want him gone as soon as possible.

Just now, Michichick said:

Took it back on the revote? I don't think so. She shoved a blank parchment off the front of the table and then faked like she was putting a vote into the urn.

That’s exactly what she did, she had no more room in her bra for anymore parchment. :)

• Love 12

I liked that Chrissy was fighting at the idol digging spot, even though she knew Ryan had already found the idol. Good cover.

But she is so stupid in that she seems to love to whisper about game when others are right there. Quit trying to show off how clever you were to see the plate clue, and have some damn patience. There would be ample opportunity to talk to Ryan later.

• Love 15

Random Thoughts:

1. On The Challenge forum, I bitch about how the series is drowning in twists. Same applies for this show. A hidden idol and a quirky advantage? Jeff isn't going to be happy until we get to a point where everybody will be safe, and then their heads explode trying to figure out what comes next. Also, I suspect that nobody noticed the missing vote. Maybe that got cut. Probably. At least Lauren reeks of age and normalcy, so maybe she'll win our hearts by smacking down a major contender.
  2. Well, at least Desi can clean up and look good every third day. That isn't awful to say, right? I mean, she's attractive, she's smart, she's a good candidate for a return, and most of the others are idiots. Speaking of which . . .
  3. I imagine Tony at home, yelling at the TV. "Whaaaaaaaaa?!? Joe's basically me, he's playing the same game as me, he's hard to take in large doses like me . . . and you're keeping him?!? You're handing him the million bucks! See, Sandra had the right idea. Get my ass out of there ASAP!"
  4. While I'm thinking about it: if the Odd Person Out in a random draw  has a chance to get in on the Reward, he/she shouldn't just get it. Pick a team, cross your fingers. Earn it, even with minimal effort. Also, I flashed back to Old Dan on the oversized chair, dangling his legs.
  5. Nice gamesmanship with the hidden clue. Somebody hides it under a cloth and piles the spaghetti onto that? The next person will be curious to peek, and everybody would've had an inkling if somebody (Mike?) didn't bury it.
  6. KIndasorta waiting for the first fistfight in the show's history. Surprised it didn't happen with the hole. Mike is MVP of the episode . . . he got there first, grabbed the idol, hid it, and most of the people out of the loop try to kill each other for nothing. All that was missing was Colby trying to watch a movie.

Maybe, just maybe, this season can be interesting. Here's hoping, right?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Random Thoughts:

1. On The Challenge forum, I bitch about how the series is drowning in twists. Same applies for this show. A hidden idol and a quirky advantage? Jeff isn't going to be happy until we get to a point where everybody will be safe, and then their heads explode trying to figure out what comes next.

That happened recently right?  That's how Cirie was bounced?  Everyone was safe except her?

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That happened recently right?  That's how Cirie was bounced?  Everyone was safe except her?

Scary thing about that was, that wasn't even something they were trying to accomplish.  It made me wonder if they'd hold back on idols, super idols, and advantages as a result.

Joe seemed suspicious during the revote...as if he realized the vote count on the first vote didnt add up. 

I was hoping they would all vote Joe.

Cole definitely ate more than his share. I don’t think Joe got much at all.  I did like that he put himself last. 

• Love 10

I want very much to know how it came about that Desi voted Lauren. I don't think she voted herself out with that vote, but it sure did confuse things, at least for me. I'm having trouble figuring out how the votes add up, and I'm not hungry and sleep - deprived. And also I saw the votes at the end.

• Love 10

Ugh, that "reward" was heinous... eating from the same plate and then it got transferred to on top of the cloth and then just on the cloth on the table, wth was that? Who came up with this disgusting plan? I'd rather watch them eat balut eggs! "I might have eaten more than my share" says Devon, after eating a full 1/3 of the pasta at least, and taking a glass of wine like it was water. Horrible.

Also horrible? Joe NOT going home being made even worse by it being Desi that did go home. Pfft.

I thought using her bra was a genius way to shade herself from being seen swapping the parchments. If a guy got that one he'd have been kinda screwed heh. I still wonder why no one realized the vote count was off.

At least it was an entertaining episode for once even if it ended badly.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

Can we discuss the fact that we could literally see Ryan's heart beating through his chest? What the bloody hell?! He's going to be an actual skeleton by the end of this.

43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ryan with the alien trying to burst out of his chest

I always wondered why it wasn't until the merge last week that we finally started seeing Ryan go shirtless.  Now I know.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ihartcoffee said:

I liked her too.  She is gorgeous,  her skin practicality glows.  Sad to see her go and not Joe. 

Yes, she has the most amazing, velvety skin!  Even out there on survivor!  Love her- she's got the whole package. Strength and smarts. 

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Oh, yes, baby girl. And he doesn't flip. 

• Love 10

The spaghetti piled on the napkin was so gross!

very strange that they didn't show Lauren's blank vote, or the advantage in the urn instead, and no mention of 10 instead of eleven votes, or why it ended up tied since there was one less vote. Hopefully they focus on it in the after-tribal discussion next week, or that really makes no sense. 

• Love 10

I have to wonder how it is that Lauren got that advantage into her pocket with the camera focusing direct on her putting in to her pocket, and nobody else noticed anything.

Random draw for teams.  Is that a first?

Ashley was SO close on those slingshot flings.

It's kind of gross that they had to eat out of the same plate.

I love that Chrissy and Ryan both went looking for the clue.  And then Ryan hid the plate.  :)

I love how the previews misled us.

"None of us want to listen to you any more."  Join the crowd, that's been my feeling since Day One.

Shut up with the vet crap, Ben.  It's boring.

I guess Peachy put Lauren's name on her ballot in order to keep them from knowing that she hadn't played a ballot?

Why didn't they vote Joe out instead of Desi?

1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

Of course people STILL don't learn to keep their damn mouth shut when they find an advantage and/or idol.  Are you sure you're going to share that with the person you're telling?  And why would you?  

Both Ryan and Lauren HAD to tell about their scrolls because Ryan and Chrissy both knew it was under the flag and they were working together, and Lauren had to tell Ben in order to make sure he could get the votes right.

I do wonder what Cole thinks happened to the Idol.

• Love 1

They did show Ben trying to flip Mike after learning about Lauren's advantage. I feel like he must've worked on Desi's vote too; it created a failsafe if Mike didn't come through. And with two healers straying from script, it generates confusion and pretty much guarantees that the healer four are broken. You can't approach Joe or Cole, for obvious reasons, and this way you don't even have to convince Desi to flip, you just shift the target to dilute the vote. 

That is a fabulous move, really. 

ETA: Looks like Cole flipped too. I think Lauren ultimately benefited from the fact that half the Healers jumped off the sinking ship. 

Edited by 303420
12 minutes ago, 303420 said:

They did show Ben trying to flip Mike after learning about Lauren's advantage. I feel like he must've worked on Desi's vote too; it created a failsafe if Mike didn't come through. And with two healers straying from script, it generates confusion and pretty much guarantees that the healer four are broken. You can't approach Joe or Cole, for obvious reasons, and this way you don't even have to convince Desi to flip, you just shift the target to dilute the vote. 

That is a fabulous move, really. 

Though Desi voted for Lauren, which seemed unexplained (unless Desi was mad over Lauren flipping on them in the previous vote). 

• Love 1

I watched Desi’s Ponderosa and she really is Queen. She is simply beautiful inside and out. She seems so nice and genuine. I’m sure she would have loved to have had Roarke, Ali & Jessica at Ponderosa with her. I’m not sure who is joining her next but I’m assuming it’s a Healer. She said she wanted to set the tone for at Ponderosa and hopefully everyone will be happy campers. Of course, there could be tension if Joe & Ben are there at the same time. Overall, I think the rest are pretty chill people and there doesn’t seem to be any sworn enemies to worry about. Time will tell. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Why didn't they vote Joe out instead of Desi?

I was thinking the same thing and what I ended up believing is that even though Joe talks a big game and he is annoying, Desi is/was a huge threat to win Immunity every time out.  She won it last week and did really well this week, so it is easy to see why the target was put directly on her.  Joe on the other hand is not all that great at challenges and seems to be a devious guy.  Part of me has to wonder if he might be the last one left in his alliance strictly because he would be a good goat and when the majority alliance eventually splits apart they could use him for the vote and maybe even as a goat.

It does suck to see Desi go mainly because we hardly got to know her.

• Love 8