Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Derek

I was kind of happy to see Sean! It's been a little strange not seeing much of Vicky or the other demons. This increases the sense of danger again. Also, Michael's expression after his little talk with Eleanor was really throwing me off. Was he reacting to having more human like feelings (like Eleanor thought) or did he have an ulterior motive?

I had completely forgotten about the Eleanor/Chidi I love  yous until Eleanor started watching the video. She clearly has feelings for him again. 

So what was Derek? He wasn't human and he wasn't quite whatever Janet is. I'm glad Jason and Tehanni didn't get married. I like Jason better with Janet.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

So what was Derek? He wasn't human and he wasn't quite whatever Janet is. I'm glad Jason and Tehanni didn't get married. I like Jason better with Janet.

Wind chime genitals! I guess he’s human but has problems because he’s Janet’s first. She needs practice. 

• Love 7

After a tumultuous seven hour existence, Derek got tossed to a remote corner of the void and Janet learned how to better deal with her feelings by embracing them and by depending on her friends. That resolution was a tiny bit fast for me, but I like the sentiment of Janet bonding with Eleanor. I especially appreciate that Janet's feelings for Jason are out in the open now, and I wonder if that will change his interactions with her. I'm expecting some jealousy from Tahani if she gets the slightest hint that Jason prefers Janet in any way, because we all know how Tahani hates being second best.

Ouch, Eleanor's scramble to cover her emotions with Chidi was painful. She's been obsessively watching the video of them and craving that intimacy and to have him shut the door on that possibility clearly stung. I think there's a definite chance Chidi could change his mind, but his rejection made me sad for Eleanor. 

The idea of Derek having windchimes instead of a penis was funny enough, then they made it better by sounding the chimes during his "reabsorption" with Janet. And Michael's delighted grin at being called a "messy bench" by Eleanor was my favorite moment of the episode. This show is such an irreverent bright spot and I can't believe I have to wait until 2018 for more.

• Love 21

There's so much to love about this show, but maybe what I love best is that it is funny without being mindless (as so many other shows are). In fact, it is better if your brain is fully engaged. Usually that means I have to watch each episode more than once to get everything, but that's a good thing!

I hope they rerun all the episodes before they air the new episodes--I'm afraid it will be hard to build an audience if people haven't seen it so far and then check it out with the new episodes.

• Love 18

Kid not old enough to be watching this show with us comes downstairs while supposed to be in bed, while we're halfway through 

Me: This had better be forking important!

I need to start writing down all the best moments while it's going because there are too many to remember for when I post here. This show is seriously forking brilliant and I love every moment of it.

• Love 11

Had no idea that this was the last episode of the year (winter finale, I guess?)  The wait is going to feel so long!

Despite my misgiving, I thought they had just the right amount of Jason Mantzoukas here.  Enough to get a kick out of some of Derek's wackiness, but judging from the ending, he won't be here to overstay his welcome like he kind of did on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.  But overall, I like that he was mainly just here for Janet's story and her learning to move past Jason/Tahani in a more healthy matter.  I still think Janet/Jason will happen again, but I hope she moves on and makes a friend with Eleanor.  As usual, D'Arcy Carden was fantastic in all of her scenes.

Glad they didn't go through with the Jason/Tahani marriage because it felt rushed, but I do think it was the characters themselves that were rushing it.  Jason is such a simple goof that he probably thought "Hey, we like each other and the do the sex, so why not get married?!", while Tahani seems to be at a point now that she likes any kind of connection and let herself get talked into it.  I have surprisingly warmed up to the pairing, but I still think there are a lot of issues they need to work through, before they can even think about having a legit shot.

Eleanor finally confesses and shows Chidi the tape, and then in typical Eleanor fashion, acts like it is no biggie even though it is.  Also, according to Janet, Eleanor's perfect rebound guy would be "Stone Cold Steve Austin's head on Tahani's body."  Yeah, I can believe that.

Like that while Michael is a bit better with the whole ethical thing, he still isn't completely there like wanting to just kill things because it is easier.

Shawn!  Wish they didn't spoil it by having Marc Evan Jackson's name in the credits, but that was still a fun reveal.  Can't wait!  Till.... next year.  Boo!

• Love 11

"Stone Cold Steve Austin's head on Tahani's body!" 

Yes! My Eleanor/Tahani ship is still sailing, they are halfway there! 

Although my Eleanor/Chidi ship is also still sailing! 

Also Eleanor/Michael are totally soul mates.

Basically, Eleanor is awesome with anybody, except dastardly Vicky!

Edited by CaptainTightpants
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Linny said:

I can't believe I have to wait until 2018 for more.

Next year?? That makes it seem soooo far away! I liked every part of this episode except that forking announcer at the end telling us we have to wait basically forever until the next episode.

53 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Eleanor's perfect rebound guy would be "Stone Cold Steve Austin's head on Tahani's body."

"Or vice-versa" as Eleanor said. But yeah it's awesome that keeps coming up.

25 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Am I the only one who kept thinking a) someone was accidentally going to hit the Janet reset button, or b) Janet was going to hit it herself?

When Eleanor made the move to pull Janet away I thought she was going to hit it and say she just had to...

Things were just going a little too well though and just then wham! We're in trouble again! Oh noes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I was kind of happy to see Sean! It's been a little strange not seeing much of Vicky or the other demons. This increases the sense of danger again. Also, Michael's expression after his little talk with Eleanor was really throwing me off. Was he reacting to having more human like feelings (like Eleanor thought) or did he have an ulterior motive?

My DVR cut off the end of the episode.  Is that when Sean appeared or did I miss him earlier somehow?  Could someone please recap from the end of Michael and Eleanor's conversation?  And I agree about Michael's expression... it didn't seem completely sincere to me... I wondered if he was up to something.

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Shawn!  Wish they didn't spoil it by having Marc Evan Jackson's name in the credits, but that was still a fun reveal.  Can't wait!  Till.... next year.  Boo!

I noticed the credits too. For about ten seconds I was trying too figure out if I missed him or if he was in the previouslies or something.

21 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

My DVR cut off the end of the episode.  Is that when Sean appeared or did I miss him earlier somehow?  Could someone please recap from the end of Michael and Eleanor's conversation?  And I agree about Michael's expression... it didn't seem completely sincere to me... I wondered if he was up to something.

After Michael left Eleanor's house, he walked into his office to find Shawn sitting at his desk with a pile of folders. Shawn said "Hello Michael. Come in. Sit down." Cue dramatic zoom in on Michael's face. 

Shawn must've found out about the 800 reboots.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, katalizt said:

I noticed the credits too. For about ten seconds I was trying too figure out if I missed him or if he was in the previouslies or something.

After Michael left Eleanor's house, he walked into his office to find Shawn sitting at his desk with a pile of folders. Shawn said "Hello Michael. Come in. Sit down." Cue dramatic zoom in on Michael's face. 

Shawn must've found out about the 800 reboots.

Oh oh!!   Thanks so much for the recap.  :)

• Love 2

"We're finishing each other's..." 

"Derek" 

Aww Derek already knows his A, B, Janets. 

Last year we were commenting on the hectic pace of the plot, and the first two episodes of the season seemed destined to put that pace to Shane. We've slowed down since to focus on the characters, and the show has managed the transition impeccably. Last year I was preoccupied with the mystery, this year I'm taking each week to learn some more about the interrelationships. 

Can't wait for the return. 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Michael's expression after his little talk with Eleanor was really throwing me off. Was he reacting to having more human like feelings (like Eleanor thought) or did he have an ulterior motive?

On the one hand, since Michael is a demon and likely doesn't have a conscience manifesting as a voice in his head, I don't know that Eleanor's answer did him much good. On the other, I didn't really see anything she said as something he could use against her. While watching their convo, I was wondering if he was thinking, "Well, I didn't have that voice in the first place, so maybe it will just never get easier." But even if he was, I don't think that would have changed the fact that working with Team Cockroach was his best option. 

Well... not until Shawn showed up, anyway...

4 hours ago, Paloma said:

There's so much to love about this show, but maybe what I love best is that it is funny without being mindless (as so many other shows are). In fact, it is better if your brain is fully engaged. Usually that means I have to watch each episode more than once to get everything, but that's a good thing!

I totally agree! I can't think of another show that's simultaneously so smart and also so easy and non-stressful to watch. 

Edited by Anisky
  • Love 9

I've been suspicious of Michael all year, but last episode, where he could have fairly easily taken the easy way out and chose to not (permanently) kill Janet has convinced me he's no longer pure evil. So in this sit-down with Eleanor near the end of the episode, I finally wasn't suspicious of Michael any more.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

"We're finishing each other's..." 

"Derek" 

Aww Derek already knows his A, B, Janets. 

Of course that's alluding to one of Kristen's songs in Frozen, Love is an Open Door, where Anna has fallen for a prince she met earlier that morning. Anna knows it's true love because they're already "finishing each other's...sandwiches."

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Anisky said:
6 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Michael's expression after his little talk with Eleanor was really throwing me off. Was he reacting to having more human like feelings (like Eleanor thought) or did he have an ulterior motive?

On the one hand, since Michael is a demon and likely doesn't have a conscience manifesting as a voice in his head, I don't know that Eleanor's answer did him much good. On the other, I didn't really see anything she said as something he could use against her. While watching their convo, I was wondering if he was thinking, "Well, I didn't have that voice in the first place, so maybe it will just never get easier." But even if he was, I don't think that would have changed the fact that working with Team Cockroach was his best option. 

I don't think he had an ulterior motive either. Eleanor seems to be the real center-point of his "Good Place" project, likely chosen because she reminded him so much of himself: a narcissist who never cared about anyone but himself and never showed any inclination improve upon that. He was convinced she'd always be that way, much like he'd never change either. Except that she did change and Michael wants to try to understand how that happened as it is happening to him. He knew that Janet's glitches were going to likely lead to his retirement, has even processed what that means, and yet he refused to marbleize Janet calling her his most trusted and loyal friend. I don't think he would have thought twice about it before especially considering what's on the line for him. He might have started to acquire a conscience and that's why he felt compelled to chat with Eleanor about it. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Of course that's alluding to one of Kristen's songs in Frozen, Love is an Open Door, where Anna has fallen for a prince she met earlier that morning. Anna knows it's true love because they're already "finishing each other's...sandwiches."

"Finishing each other's sandwiches" isn't original to Frozen and the connection to Frozen doesn't make Derek's version any funnier so I doubt that it is a direct allusion.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

William Jackson Harper's delivery of "Everyone. Constantly." in response to Michael's "Has anyone ever told you what a drag you are?" was utter perfection.

William Jackson Harper's delivery of basically anything they give him is utter comedic perfection. (I especially love his way with an incredulous "WHAT?!?", as when he learned about Jason & Janet's wedding.) And to think he was on the verge of quitting acting (for lack of work) when he got this job....

I'm as bummed as anyone not to have a Good Place episode to look forward to next week, but the midseason hiatus doesn't come as a surprise, and it's happening to NBC's entire Thursday lineup impartially. The alternative would have been not to start its Season 2 until January, and I wouldn't have liked that any better.

• Love 14

I was thinking Sean's line was the call back to Mad men's archetypal "Shut the door, have a seat." But I think he actually said "Close."

I laughed a lot during the half hour. The show makes me smile and think and stays in my head the rest of the week. I don't know if it will last until January, but it was as good as it gets. 

• Love 6

Fork! Fork! Fork! No new episodes til 2018! Though tptb did the same thing last season.

And I can't get the image of "stone cold Steve Austin's head with Tahani's body (or vice versa)" out of my head! 

Goodbye Derek, you were just the rebound...whatever it is you are. 

And The Good Place always manages to surprise in the best way. When Michael left Eleanor's house at the end, he had an odd expression and was loosening his tie, I said to hubby that I bet it's not Michael, he's gonna morph into Vicky, she was suspicious. Instead it is Michael, and the surprise is Shaun. 

And god help me, I'm starting to ship Eleanor and Janet, or Eleanor and Michael, can we say threeway?

I love this show so forking much

• Love 5

This show continues to be soo clever. I totally agree that you really need to pay attention (or rewatch) to get all the little jokes they throw in. Eleanor's "wind chimes, I hear wind chimes, everyone look away. I'm gonna watch but everyone else, look away."

and the small aside she made about Janet's skin-- with the reply "Again, not skin" I love that Janet continues to try and correct them about her non-human-ness.

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Love 18

Echoing everyone else....I FORKING Love this show! Smart, funny, entertaining, thought provoking. So YEAH let's take it off for 2-3 months. I HATE that!! Yeah it's a holiday time but we're still working and want to watch tv at night! I have lost the plot on soooo many shows because of this insanity. Loved 12 monkeys but I have no idea what's going on and it's not On Demand or Amazon to re watch the first 2 seasons unless you pay a fortune. (UGH) So...

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

Echoing everyone else....I FORKING Love this show! Smart, funny, entertaining, thought provoking. So YEAH let's take it off for 2-3 months. I HATE that!! Yeah it's a holiday time but we're still working and want to watch tv at night! I have lost the plot on soooo many shows because of this insanity. Loved 12 monkeys but I have no idea what's going on and it's not On Demand or Amazon to re watch the first 2 seasons unless you pay a fortune. (UGH) So...

It's not holidays, it's football. NBC has Thursday night football for the next two months. And if you're wondering why, cbs & nbc both made deal with NFL, cbs got September & October, nbc gets November & December.

• Love 4

They have GOT to get Stone Cold Steve Austin in for a cameo now. They have to.

I wish they did it in the 2nd episode this season, when they flip through five of Eleanor's soulmates in quick succession.

I think in the next episode (in 2018), Shawn will begin the episode by reversing himself and admiring Michael's moxie or something. Then demand that Michael work against the four humans secretly so that Michael becomes a triple agent.

• Love 4

The Michael-Eleanor conversations toward the end were photographed (in part) through an opening like a keyhole or small window, as if they were being spied on. It may turn out to have been Shawn, or someone else (Vicki?). On most series I would shrug it off as a director's stylistic flourish, but little on this show happens by chance.

• Love 5

Jason was wearing sleeves for his wedding to Tahani. Does that make it more or less serious than his sleeveless wedding to Janet?

I think he and Tahani like having sex with each other and I like that their relationship is helping Tahani grow (admitting how shallow she was about her past boyfriends, loosening up by playing some of his silly games, becoming brave/confident enough to publicly admit that she was involved with Jason), but I liked Jason and Janet together!

Tahani and Jason whacking croquet balls on glasses was hilarious. 

• Love 9

Loved Tahani’s comment, “I never wear my hair up. I’m not a factory worker!”

Delightful. This show just sparkles. Almost antiquated words, but what joy this show gives!

Edited by BeckyThatcher
Spelling. It’s always spelling that gets me.
  • Love 11
44 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

The Michael-Eleanor conversations toward the end were photographed (in part) through an opening like a keyhole or small window, as if they were being spied on. It may turn out to have been Shawn, or someone else (Vicki?). On most series I would shrug it off as a director's stylistic flourish, but little on this show happens by chance.

Yeah, I noticed that and it had me very worried that they were just sitting there in front of the window where anyone could see them.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

I think in the next episode (in 2018), Shawn will begin the episode by reversing himself and admiring Michael's moxie or something. Then demand that Michael work against the four humans secretly so that Michael becomes a triple agent.

I think that's close but Shawn doesn't admire anything. I think it might be that Michael tells him that the flaw in the plan was trying to hide that it wasn't the bad place from the humans.  That he's now let them in on the "secret" to better enlist them in torturing themselves and each other.  {Or, that Michael called Shawn with this idea right after Vicky went on strike.]  

Human lives are so short that 1,000 years of tricking them in one particular way might not be possible.  But maybe you can play "Lucy with the football" in different ways each time until they sink into despair ... 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CaptainTightpants said:

"Stone Cold Steve Austin's head on Tahani's body!" 

Yes! My Eleanor/Tahani ship is still sailing, they are halfway there! 

I'd say at least 7/8ths.

Jason getting Tahani to play his game with the croquet mallet was hysterical. And, while she's recognizing her own faults, Tahani's constant name dropping and comments about how good she is remain and are still funny. Someone quoted the hair line above and that's a perfect example.

I almost cried from laughing at Eleanor's look away from the sound of the wind chimes, but I'm going to continue watching.

Can we just give D'Arcy Carden the Emmy by acclimation?

• Love 5

Tahani and Jason playing croquet mallet actually looked legitimately fun! I could get into that! Also Tahani calling Jason a swamp dweller during the wedding made me laugh so hard, and I dont even know why. 

D'Arcy Carden is amazing and deserves ALL of the awards. Granted, so does everyone else on this show, but she has been the shows MVP this season so far. "Again, not real skin". 

We`re expected to wait until 2018 until we get a new episode?!?! This show is FAR too smart and delightful to wait that long! Whoever made this choice needs to get sent to the Bad Place ASAP. The one with the fire pokers and butt spiders! Forking unfair!

Oh shit! Everyone's in trouble! Again...forking unfair! 

• Love 6

Really, D'Arcy Carden is amazing, not to slight the other actors on this show. I' m not thrilled by the hiatus but it will give me a chance to rewatch the season up till now and catch all the quick bits I missed the first time.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, chaifan said:

Am I the only one who kept thinking a) someone was accidentally going to hit the Janet reset button, or b) Janet was going to hit it herself?

I thought they were building up to that too, but can a Janet reboot herself without the begging and pleading?

4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I wish they did it in the 2nd episode this season, when they flip through five of Eleanor's soulmates in quick succession.

But Stone Cold Steve Austin isn't dead.

18 hours ago, Affogato said:

Wind chime genitals! I guess he’s human but has problems because he’s Janet’s first. She needs practice. 

Doesn't that make her God if she's creating life?

(We've had a bunch of different spellings, so I looked it up -- Michael's boss's name is spelled S-H-A-W-N.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Forking football ruins everything.

I think they would have had a tough time competing with CBS anyway. Now that they're not running football, The Big Bang Theory is back on Thursday, leading into Young Sheldon in the same time slot as this show.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:
5 hours ago, Fukui San said:

But Stone Cold Steve Austin isn't dead.

No, but that wouldn't be an obstacle for a demon to take the form of Stone Cold Steve Austin and tell Eleanor that he was the real Stone Cold Steve Austin who had just died.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Impromptu said:

No, but that wouldn't be an obstacle for a demon to take the form of Stone Cold Steve Austin and tell Eleanor that he was the real Stone Cold Steve Austin who had just died.

Plus, if the average length of each reboot is around 4 months (or even 3), then ECTJ have literally been in The Bad Place for hundreds of years already. While it's true that we don't know whether time runs at the same speed in The Bad Place as it does on Earth, it would still make perfect sense for someone who isn't dead in our present to be dead by now on the show's timeline. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Yeah, I noticed that and it had me very worried that they were just sitting there in front of the window where anyone could see them.

Unless that person could hear what they were saying that wouldn' matter. Michael hung out and talekev with Eleanor in all the iterations. I think their relationship has changed Eleanor for the better just as much as her relationship she has with Chidi.