Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E03: My Kisses Are Very Private

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Lamima said:

And he pissed me off with his arrogance when he said that if he had switched out to Lauren in the challenge they would have still lost because...."well, look at her". Him, Joe and Alan...the ones I most wanted gone. One down, two to go.

That moment was what made me root for his ass to get bounced and I was really bummed that it seemed he would be safe. "Looking at her, I don't think it would have helped us if she switched in...," because you need to be a skinny stick to have good aim? Fuck you, Patrick.

Also, when Lauren was like "so you lost the challenge for us by not switching out and I am going to go home because of it" and he just kinda smirked...ugh. Such a small thing and it could have ended her Survivor experience so early. Glad it bounced back and bit him in the ass instead.

I'm not sure why no one stepped out physically and tried to take his spot. I get the feeling that people thought they could maybe do better, but to really push the issue would be to shine a huge spotlight on themselves if they lost. 

Speaking of Blondie Virgin....I truly believe the real reason she was pissed that the beefcake (sorry got no name) revealed the idol was that she was ENJOYING having something just exclusive between them...bonding him to her...or so she thought! I guess she really doesn't know much about the opposite sex.

I think it was twofold. Given how excited she was about having the secret, I do think part of it was personal, but she wasn't wrong that holding on to that information until they really needed to share was a better idea. They didn't even have to go to TC this time and now there are more people to worry about blabbing (intentionally or accidentally) to Joe, which will put a target on Cole if Joe finds out he told others. 

Telling the others might be a good thing later on, but since he had a partner he'd already told, they should have discussed the options and how to use the information before just blurting it out. Cole seems a bit too impetuous to be a good strategic player, he acts first and thinks later. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, GaT said:

I never understand why people get all bugged out when someone else goes looking for the HII, of course people are looking for the idol. The people who are bugged out will probably also go looking for it. You're there to play the game, why are you surprised when someone else plays it too?

THIS x 1000.  It's like everyone has their own secret special internal rules for how one should search for the HII.  If you search too soon, you're a threat.  If you search when you think no one is looking, you're sneaky and suspect.  If you don't look at all, you're smug.  Etc.  It drives me nuts when someone gets on their high horse about their fellow tribemates going on an idol hunt.  It's a huge part of the game, and not searching for it doesn't give anyone some kind of moral advantage.

And Patrick?  Man, I thought he was going to be the first Survivor ever to refuse to bring his torch to Probst.  He sat there for a good few seconds before he got up.  I thought we might be treated to a Probst/Patrick stare-down or something.

• Love 24
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I did laugh my ass off when Probst was trying to make an analogy - "Ryan, it's like when you're in a relationship...." Ryan - "....I've never been in a relationship. You know anyone?" 

That was one of the gems of the evening.  Ryan is growing on me.

• Love 14

Sorry blond girl… this is Survivor.  Not The Bachelor.  No one needs to know of your virginity status.

I FLoved Patrick’s death stares at tribal.  What a douche.  And a sore loser

Is it really a blindside when everyone knew it was between 2 players?  I thought a blindside was a complete surprise.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

THIS x 1000.  It's like everyone has their own secret special internal rules for how one should search for the HII.  If you search too soon, you're a threat.  If you search when you think no one is looking, you're sneaky and suspect.  If you don't look at all, you're smug.  Etc.  It drives me nuts when someone gets on their high horse about their fellow tribemates going on an idol hunt.  It's a huge part of the game, and not searching for it doesn't give anyone some kind of moral advantage.

And Patrick?  Man, I thought he was going to be the first Survivor ever to refuse to bring his torch to Probst.  He sat there for a good few seconds before he got up.  I thought we might be treated to a Probst/Patrick stare-down or something.

I know.  I thought Jeff was going to have to call security.  They do have security, don't they?  Ever since psycho Brandon Hantz they may need it.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I try to work at not being a grammar snob, but tonight's tribal - wow!  I think the only person who didn't slaughter the English language was Ryan.  

Agree!  Lauren has a grammar handicap.  Or maybe it is a cognitive thought disability.  I do praise Survivor for casting the challenged, though.  <sly grin> 

Her tail was in a knot due to Patrick's idol 'huntin.'  She said "it keeps you on the edge when someone tries to play strategy.  I haven't looked for the idol yet.  If he is huntin' maybe we all should go huntin." 

Poor thing.  

I loved the reason for editing your post.  LOL!  She corrected a grammatical error and blamed TC. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, NaughtyKitty said:

Is it really a blindside when everyone knew it was between 2 players?  I thought a blindside was a complete surprise.

Someone said something about one of TWO potential blindsides. Um, no. I could call Patrick's ouster a "blindside", because I really do not think he was expecting to go home. But if Lauren had been sent packing, she would not have been surprised. Not a blindside at all. 

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

I think it was twofold. Given how excited she was about having the secret, I do think part of it was personal, but she wasn't wrong that holding on to that information until they really needed to share was a better idea. They didn't even have to go to TC this time and now there are more people to worry about blabbing (intentionally or accidentally) to Joe, which will put a target on Cole if Joe finds out he told others. 

I agree that I would not have divulged the idol knowledge of another person UNTIL we were heading to TC.  Now you know someone is going to leak the news to Joe and it will all be for naught.

Patrick at tribal - How dare they!  Those few seconds seemed endless but I am glad he is gone.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

That was one of the gems of the evening.  Ryan is growing on me.

I used to like him but he tries too much to be a Cochran character just to be remembered. I want pure strategists, not people who play a role in Survivor.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

What I don't get is, why were they so concerned about the merge?  When has there not been a tribe swap?  They have to cross that big hurdle first before worrying about the merge.

15 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I was thinking the same thing. Have these people never watched the show before?

I think it's possible that the swap was exactly what they were talking about, but that they don't want to clue Production in that they all know there will be a swap. Or maybe Production tells them not to talk about the swap because they think the audience is still surprised by them.

14 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

What is it with the ladies and their bras this season?  I've never noticed so many of the women wearing regular bras--not sports bras, not swim tops but Victoria's Secret-looking bras.  Weird.  And sad that bras are the most captivating thing I have to say about these first few episodes.

The thing I kept noticing was how badly Ashley's bra fit her. It shouldn't be riding up your back like that, girl!

13 hours ago, sadiegirl1999 said:

Oh my word, JP.

#datasstho

Right! I didn't get the hoopla over JP at first because his face is odd to me, but that body though. Damn!

13 hours ago, Catronia said:

Lauren is 35 ...

WHAT?!

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I didn't think twice about [Lauren's redhead comments] because I thought she was just making a joke. 

See to me it didn't seem like a joke at all. She sounded downright hostile when she said it imo. But it's Lauren and she's very dry and, well, angry in general so who knows.

2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Undercooked potatoes are terrible, and it's not like they had to hurry up and eat because they had somewhere to be. All they do is lie in the dirt for 20 hours a day; they can spare 5 minutes to cook the potatoes all the way through. 

I used to eat uncooked potatoes so I didn't really get Joe's thing anyway, but in any case, as Roark said, if Joe has a preference for how his potatoes are cooked he should just cook them himself since no one else gave a shit.

I continue to dislike Ryan and honestly it's rapidly turning into hate, but I did get a chuckle out of his, "know anyone?" to Jeff's relationship remark.

I enjoyed the "Alan can't chop coconuts" segment, but also I was tense the whole time because I was sure he was about to cut his hand off. That seemed all kinds of dangerous.

I think I really like Roark and Desi, but perhaps that's just because they are barely shown so they haven't had a chance to show me they suck yet. Still, I'd like to see more of them. Desi is stunningly gorgeous. Like up there with Sundra as prettiest Survivor ever maybe.

This episode was at least 10 times better than the past 2. I hope that means this season is about to get more fun and interesting.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 5

That was so effing smart. 

I am so used to Survivor contestants automatically keeping the young guys because 'we need to win challenges' no matter what. I'm proud of the hustlers for realizing Patrick's obnoxious attitude and utter cluelessness ("I'm fun! I'm warm! Everybody loves me!") were toxic and had to be gotten rid of NOW. Lauren finally started playing the game and playing it well, not freaking out but explaining calmly and clearly why she was a much better person to keep around than mercurial Patrick, especially with a swap or merge coming up. 

Count me among the fans who are really enjoying the emphasis on camp life this season -- it's been WAY too long! Too often in recent seasons we have no idea why anything's happening because the editing was all about the challenges and "surprising" us at Tribal with outcomes that had no context whatsoever for how they came about. (Okay, that's a convoluted sentence....)

Jessica was right about that.  At first she seemed a silly, giggling girl, but when she became visibly annoyed by Cole spilling the beans I changed my opinion of her.  There was absolutely no reason to tell the others about Joe's idol at that moment.  That kind of info should be saved for another time.  Information is currency.  As quickly as alliances change, someone is sure to blab it to Joe that everyone knows he has an idol.  

I agree. She's smarter than Cole and was absolutely right that that was a dumb move strategically. 

Wow, a Survivor season of "normal" people and editing that breathes. What season is this again, 1? 2?

• Love 7

The discussion of Lauren being 35 (which doesn't surprise me) compelled me to look up the ages of the whole cast on the Season's wikipedia page. 

Is this a record % of 20-somethings?!?

40s -- 3 contestants (Katrina, Chrissy, Mike)

30s -- 4 contestants (Alan, Ben, Joe, Lauren)

20s -- 11 contestants (freakin' everybody else)

Has it been this blatant before? No wonder it's showmance-central.

• Love 8

Episode 3 was much better then Episode 1 & 2 combined. Hopefully, it will start going in the right direction. I really think the first episode only being an hour was the problem. Too late now but hopefully in the future TPTB realize the season premiere of Survivor needs to be at least 90 minutes or 2 hours. IMO!

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

as Roark said, if Joe has a preference for how his potatoes are cooked he should just cook them himself since no one else gave a shit.

Yeah, why couldn't Joe take his portion and cook them more after the others took their portions?

I was so expecting yet relatively another older woman get the boot over the young fit man.  It was surprising that it didn't happen, especially since almost everyone on the Hustler tribe said Lauren didn't fit in well.  That may end up hurting them with future mix-ups and merge.  

• Love 4

"When he revealed the Idol to me, that was fine, because I think he's so cute!  When he revealed the Idol to them, that's not okay, because I thought that was just between us!"  To me it was clear cut jealousy and feeling personally slighted, which is fine.  I don't think she's a strategic mastermind because of this.  All she did was be present for this dude telling her a secret.  Which was later revealed to not be a secret whatsoever.  She thought they had an intimate secret and they just didn't, so she was upset.  It's not really up to her to decide what the guy does with that info.  Why was it a good move to tell (Jessica?) about the idol but not the others?  What is the difference between them?  

Getting cast on Survivor and then secretly knowing someone in the cast is like an ultimate fantasy of mine.  You would bet I would use that to my advantage 100%.  Not doing that would be stupid in my opinion.  I think Ali is nuts to give up that advantage.  Nuts.  Almost no matter what.  Lauren is not that much easier to get along with than Patrick.  And Patrick seems like a good shield.   Patrick seemed really loyal, and then after TC just that much moreso, because he was soooooo upset.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

The rule most people seem to have is, "when I search for the idol, it's because I'm strategic. When someone else searches for it, it's because that person is a snake."

I think if I was playing it would be more "when I search for the idol, it's because I'm strategic. When someone else searches for it, I am going to try and make them look like a snake because it makes them more of a target and that is good for my game." I would hope that we are missing that talking head from these folks. The whole point of Survivor is to be in the final tribal and try and convince a jury to vote for you. Having an idol helps me get to that spot. Using the fact that other people are looking for it against them helps me get to that spot. Use what ever you can to help advance your game. If you can make someone else look untrustworthy then go for it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I'm not sure why no one stepped out physically and tried to take his spot.

It looked to me like Lauren was trying to grab a bean bag to throw. But Patrick was flailing around so much that she was probably in more danger of getting hit in the head by one of his arms.  Be that as it may, several of his teammates were yelling for him to hand off to somebody else. They were telling him he was getting tired, but he just was not going to give up. Not a good team player. But that's no longer an issue for him. 

• Love 10

I'm sort of torn here. Last week I wanted Patrick voted out instead of Simone but this week I'm not so sure. Lauren isn't all that pleasant either, frankly, and I'm also not sure how loyal she'll remain to Ryan, Devon and Ally. I'd say she's more likely to bond with Ben and Chrissy and ditch the younger players. Plus, as others have noted, she's a real sourpuss and I'm tired of hearing her brag about being a center fielder and dissing redheads. No, Patrick wasn't much better, with his "look at her" comment, but that doesn't make her OK. And I was actually pleasantly surprised how mature Patrick was in admitting his faults and saying he wanted the opportunity to grow and welcomed the criticism. 

We're hearing an awful lot from Ryan. I'm not sure if that's because he's going to win or if it's because he's about the only articulate player on his entire tribe - and possibly in the entire cast. Alternately, we heard absolutely zero from Devon during tribal council. A lot of shots of his model-handsome face but not a peep out of him.

Here's a thought: why doesn't the entire tribe agree to all go idol searching at the same time? That way it's finders keepers and nobody gets all shirty about other people hunting for the idol. Everyone has the same fair chance of finding it at the same time.

Also, for a tribe called "hustlers," not so much with the hustling. Two losses out of three challenges.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, lilabennet said:

Devon.

LILABENNET beat me to it...Devon by miles over any of the other guys, and actually, for me, Alan and Joe (aside from personalities) well before any of the others.  It's the eyes on all three.  Especially Devon's.  Well before bods for me.  And Devon and Joe have great smiles as well.  Still want Joe to leave soon.  

Yeah, re the potatoes (or whatever root vegetable they found--manioc?  true yam, that they have in Oceania, not sweet potato type yam?), it's not that Joe doesn't like them (I dislike undercooked potatoes greatly also), it's that he didn't just then put them back and fry them up more, or even pass them over to whichever woman said "well, I'll eat it then"--it's that he threw away food.  On Survivor!  Casually throwing it away in front of someone who asked for it is to me almost worse than spilling rice in a rage or spilling fish in secret to thwart your enemies.  And I didn't like either of those actions (though I adore Sandra).  (Do not adore J'Tia).  

Personally, I'm happy Patrick left for many reasons--I don't like to watch freneticness, etc.--but I especially don't like watching fair skin being burned to a crisp.  They do provide sunblock but he seems the type who would just capriciously refuse to use it.  He can go burn himself up in pre-jury Ponderosa now, out of my sight.

Jobiska Jr. and I had to pause the DVR to laugh off the ridiculousness of the hashtag "sluginlove."  Thought Survivor maybe jumped the hashtag slug, er, shark with that one.  But then I was curious and I looked on Twitter and several have used it and guys, there's even fan art.  Ack.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Getting cast on Survivor and then secretly knowing someone in the cast is like an ultimate fantasy of mine.  You would bet I would use that to my advantage 100%.  Not doing that would be stupid in my opinion.  I think Ali is nuts to give up that advantage.  Nuts.  Almost no matter what.  Lauren is not that much easier to get along with than Patrick.  And Patrick seems like a good shield.   Patrick seemed really loyal, and then after TC just that much moreso, because he was soooooo upset.

If Ryan and Devon wanted to vote out Patrick Ali could not have done anything. Patrick was unpredictable and annoying. Simone said many bad things about him in her interviews. They need a calm camp life so that they win challenges. And they also need a team player and Patrick was sure not one.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, himela said:

If Ryan and Devon wanted to vote out Patrick Ali could not have done anything. Patrick was unpredictable and annoying. Simone said many bad things about him in her interviews. They need a calm camp life so that they win challenges. And they also need a team player and Patrick was sure not one.

Yeah, I think Ali did the right thing.  One of the most under-appreciated skills in Survivor is knowing when to fight and when to lay low.  So far, she seems to have a good grasp on strategy.

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

it's not that Joe doesn't like them (I dislike undercooked potatoes greatly also), it's that he didn't just then put them back and fry them up more, or even pass them over to whichever woman said "well, I'll eat it then"--it's that he threw away food.  On Survivor!  Casually throwing it away in front of someone who asked for it is to me almost worse than spilling rice in a rage or spilling fish in secret to thwart your enemies.

I completely agree!  I hated it when he was spitting it out in the camp.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Didn't they say last week that Jessica is 30?  Why is she acting like a lovestruck teenager?

I'm assuming it's because of the whole virgin thing. I was amused when they showed her talking about being a virgin and then showed him talking about how she was his dream girl. All the cynic in me could think was: Will she still be his dream girl when he realizes she's not going to be sleeping with him any time soon?

14 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Survivor Specialists Phil (a readhead) is totally pissed about Lauren comments about redheads. I thought it was funny. I guess I could see where he was offended. If you insert another adjective about race or sexual preference people would be upset, too. That said, I didn’t even think twice about it. Does that make me insensitive?

As a redhead, I can understand it. We've had a lifetime of being teased and picked on and ostracized (mostly in school, obviously) simply for being born with red hair and pale skin. Of course, as an adult, it doesn't bother me anymore and I can joke about it but I can understand how some people might still get upset. Kids/teens can be damn cruel.

11 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Finally, it is cruel no doubt but god I love it when people are really, really mad when they leave.  "I love when people are devastated, because their dreams have just been crushed," I said to nobody as Patrick fumed through his last words.

God, me too! I hate that they're sore losers but their anger amuses me to no end. My favourites have to be that guy who called everybody "Scumbags!" as he left or Hunter (I think) whose final words were something like: "I hope you all die out here!"

6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

What were the rules?  Did they have to bring all the blocks to the stacking are before they started stacking or just knock them to the ground with the bean bags?  I suspect it was the latter, in which case they would not need to start over.  If it had been the former I think they would have been forced to start over.

That's actually an interesting point. I was curious so I rewatched the IC and, while Jeff doesn't mention anything about all the blocks needing to be over there before they start stacking when he's describing the challenge, while the challenge is going on, he says a couple times "Gotta get all your blocks over there before you start stacking!" So, if that was the rule then they definitely should have had to start over.

5 hours ago, Whimsy said:

That wouldn't help.  I believe that Lauren was more commenting on the fact that most redheads are pale and blush/flush a lot, especially when lying, getting mad, pretty much any emotional reaction. 

It's true. It's something we can't control and it's really annoying! That's why I'd probably suck at Survivor. (Well, that and probably about 1000 other reasons.)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, NaughtyKitty said:

Sorry blond girl… this is Survivor.  Not The Bachelor.  No one needs to know of your virginity status.

I FLoved Patrick’s death stares at tribal.  What a douche.  And a sore loser

It's a blindside when you're too arrogant to think anybody could possibly vote you off.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

"When he revealed the Idol to me, that was fine, because I think he's so cute!  When he revealed the Idol to them, that's not okay, because I thought that was just between us!"  To me it was clear cut jealousy and feeling personally slighted, which is fine.  I don't think she's a strategic mastermind because of this.  All she did was be present for this dude telling her a secret.  Which was later revealed to not be a secret whatsoever.  She thought they had an intimate secret and they just didn't, so she was upset. 

Jessica needs to slow her roll.  She's out from under the Vicar's thumb so she's feeling so free, but she's built this exclusive, long-term, committed relationship with Cole in her head based on a couple of fishing expeditions and a flirty talk on the beach.  She practically has them painting the nursery and celebrating their third anniversary in her fantasy land.  You know, like I did back in Jr. High when the cute jock dude merely said "hi" to me one morning.  Her confession she was a virgin was in a talking head session, not in conversation with Cole.  I suspect she hasn't shared that information with him, because Cole thinks he's having a casual flirty little fling with a social equal.  Methinks if he knew how inexperienced she was and how shiny those stars are in her eyes, he'd be running fast in the other direction.  That's some baggage to deal with even out in the real world, in the isolated and artificial world of Survivor it is a hot potato.

Speaking of not-so-hot potatoes...  Jeebus, Joe, you are a complete asshat!  You never casually throw away food on Survivor!  Strategically, like Sandra did, or out of spite like Russell did is barely OK, but at least there was a purpose to it.   But to pitch it into the bushes--where I might point out it will attract vermin--when your tribemate next to you said she'd eat it is just beyond rude.  You could also, you know, throw it back into the pan to finish cooking to your satisfaction.  Joe can go.  Now, please...

Patrick getting voted out was absolutely delicious viewing.  It was cooked juuuust right.  I savored that falling grin going to death glare over and over.  His arrogance and prickly personality had to have been wearing thin at camp.  He refused several times to switch out the throwing, even when he was clearly tiring to the point that his throws were falling very short of the height required, let alone aimed correctly to knock the block off.  He was in berserker mode, there was no speaking or reasoning with him, he was locked into that headspace that two year olds get into when they're tantruming.  Lauren really impressed me at tribal council.   She made a clear and measured case for keeping her.  Buh-bye, bitter Patrick...

• Love 9
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I enjoyed the "Alan can't chop coconuts" segment, but also I was tense the whole time because I was sure he was about to cut his hand off. That seemed all kinds of dangerous.

I was hoping he would wound himself badly enough to get pulled from the game.  Adios stupid crazy man.  I remember a woman (can see her face, but the name escapes me) who used a pointy branch on a big dead log to open the coconuts.  She was like a machine at it  :)

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

I remember a woman (can see her face, but the name escapes me) who used a pointy branch on a big dead log to open the coconuts.  She was like a machine at it  :)

Right. I remember episodes where locals would come to camp to show the survivors how to live off the land and they'd smash coconuts onto a spike. I don't know if that's easier than a machete but it's worth trying. 

• Love 2

My solution to everything boring about this season is to get high and watch. It's great!

My 2 cents:

1. Virgin girl is 29 and a Nurse Practitioner. Not too shabby. It is not an easy degree and requires, I think, fairly extensive work experience (as a nurse) and academic study. I suspect she's been working very hard and, possibly, had no time or energy for a relationship. No big deal and certainly none of our business. I just have to wonder what circumstances led her to divulge that on TV. A leading question from production no doubt. Also there's the whole religious thing.

2. Lauren was doing a shit job at TC. She's obnoxious. For one thing, she overtalks people constantly. I wondered if there was a way to vote them both off. I think Patrick's basic craziness tipped the scales though. My first thought when Jeff announced Patrick was getting snuffed was "Did anybody lock up the machete?"

3. I also played center field for 25 years but we (players and fans) were almost certainly drunk most of the time and likely could not hit the broad side of a barn. I mean, she mentioned it 3-4 times but we have still not seen any evidence that she can throw. Don't get me wrong - I'm on Lauren's side. I'm kind of a Lauren. But she's no prize for the tribe. Or the show.

4. Just exactly what are they allowed to bring to the island? Why did (the one who left last week) bring knee high boots?

5. I haven't watched many seasons. I missed about 10 years. But I think the 3 teams of 6 people setup sucks. It is too hard to get to know the players. And I like slightly larger teams so more options for alliances. I swear I saw people last night that I've never seen before (Roark? Desi?)

6. I'm about 100% sure I'd have cold cocked that MF crybaby who Threw Away His Food because his tum tum didn't like it. It would be worth being thrown off the show. Also I'm an oldish, overweightish, woman and it might have caused said MF to die of the embarassment of being punched out by little old (ish) me.

Edited by zibnchy
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I don't know if that's easier than a machete but it's worth trying. 

I think it is, because you're working with the grain of the husk fibers rather than across them like with a machete.  The spike or pointy branch sort of jams between the longitudinal husk fibers which gets a grip into the husk, then you can shove side to side to loosen and strip the fibers.*

* Full disclosure:  I saw this once on a tourist thing during my first trip to Maui.  The girl opening the coconut was about as big around as a toothpick, so, basically, you don't need to be a retired NFL player.  Hell, Ryan could do it--though we've seen Ryan be freakishly strong, so that isn't saying much.

• Love 1

Virgin girl sounds like Jennifer Garner doing a Capital One commercial.   She's cute, her gushing isn't.

Was Joe cast to fill a "Tony-guy" role?    Did casting finally tire of the "Boston Strong" character?

Don't like Chrissy.   For a 40-ish woman in this game, she's way too smug.   Didn't like the way she cut Katrina (?) loose a couple weeks ago either.

I was surprised Patrick went home, though apparently not as surprised as the voices in his head.

I'm not really liking anyone thus far.   I'm so disconnected to this season that I forgot to read the thread for last week's episode and have no inclination to catch up.  

The scenery is pretty great, though.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Lauren really needs to admit that she's a fisherman (woman?) and go out and catch stuff to show her worth to the tribe.

I would say go out and try to catch fish for the tribe but in no way should she admit she's a professional fisherman. Imagine the expectations of the tribe and if she happened to catch nothing, she just made herself a huge target. 

• Love 12

I enjoyed this episode and have been enjoying the season.  I usually find the first couple (few) episodes of a season a little slow as I'm trying to learn who people are.  Therefore, I don't have really high expectations of these first episodes (but then I do expect things to start ramping up as numbers are whittled down and people can start to see themselves in the finale).  

I love a good blindside and this one was wonderful.  I'm not a fan of Lauren's, but loved the unexpectedness of Patrick's blindside.

• Love 3

From Patrick's bio:

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
Joe from Season 30. He was a nice guy and knew how to use his social skills to make friends in the game. When he was backed against a wall, he fought as hard as he could to win every individual immunity and save himself. He wasn't a quitter and neither am I!

What's your reason for being on Survivor?
My primary motivation is to win a million dollars! I'm a businessman and this is a business trip!

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
I believe that I can withstand the challenges in every facet. I can solve puzzles, work well with my team, strategize, and in most cases beat out my competitors with my endurance. I can take on the outdoor elements, I can fish, I can build a shelter, and probably start a fire. I am good at bonding with others and communicating to create friendship and strategies so that my team will not want to eliminate me. I will be too valuable to get rid of, but will not outperform to look like a threat.

Wow! How deluded was Patrick!

• Love 6

To respond to a few things...

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think Ali is nuts to give up that advantage.  Nuts.  Almost no matter what.  Lauren is not that much easier to get along with than Patrick.  And Patrick seems like a good shield.   Patrick seemed really loyal, and then after TC just that much moreso, because he was soooooo upset.

and also...

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We're hearing an awful lot from Ryan. I'm not sure if that's because he's going to win or if it's because he's about the only articulate player on his entire tribe - and possibly in the entire cast. Alternately, we heard absolutely zero from Devon during tribal council. A lot of shots of his model-handsome face but not a peep out of him.

Patrick's post-game interview with Josh Wigler on THR is interesting (and hysterical in some ways) reading. He's still deluded, I'll say that. But he does mention that Devon is very quiet and it sounds like as much as he trusted Ali, he viewed himself, Ryan, and Devon as a threesome and saw the women as expendable.

From http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/survivor-season-35-patrick-bolton-exit-interview-1048039:

Let's get into that. We've covered Lauren and Ali, but I would love your thoughts on Ryan and Devon. Did you have any idea they were as close as they seem to be? What did you feel your relationship with them was like?

From the beginning, Devon didn't talk too much, but the times he did talk, I felt like I had gotten done what was needed. We talked some small strategy: "We're going to stick together and work together." I didn't realize Devon and Ryan had such a close relationship. Talking with Ryan after [the game] about how he wanted to share his super idol with Devon because he felt Devon was more trustworthy going forward in the game... that's where that relationship was built, and I didn't know about it, I wasn't a part of it. That definitely didn't help my game out, not knowing the intensity and friendship they had. If I had known that, I would have tried working with Ali more. I thought I was part of the boys. We went in immediately and said we wouldn't let these girls vote us off. Saturdays are for the boys. We're not going to let it happen. We're going to stick together. I thought we were still tight. I thought we were working together.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Jobiska said:

LILABENNET beat me to it...Devon by miles over any of the other guys, and actually, for me, Alan and Joe (aside from personalities) well before any of the others.  It's the eyes on all three.  Especially Devon's.  Well before bods for me.  And Devon and Joe have great smiles as well.  Still want Joe to leave soon.  

Yeah, re the potatoes (or whatever root vegetable they found--manioc?  true yam, that they have in Oceania, not sweet potato type yam?), it's not that Joe doesn't like them (I dislike undercooked potatoes greatly also), it's that he didn't just then put them back and fry them up more, or even pass them over to whichever woman said "well, I'll eat it then"--it's that he threw away food.  On Survivor!  Casually throwing it away in front of someone who asked for it is to me almost worse than spilling rice in a rage or spilling fish in secret to thwart your enemies.  And I didn't like either of those actions (though I adore Sandra).  (Do not adore J'Tia).  

Personally, I'm happy Patrick left for many reasons--I don't like to watch freneticness, etc.--but I especially don't like watching fair skin being burned to a crisp.  They do provide sunblock but he seems the type who would just capriciously refuse to use it.  He can go burn himself up in pre-jury Ponderosa now, out of my sight.

Jobiska Jr. and I had to pause the DVR to laugh off the ridiculousness of the hashtag "sluginlove."  Thought Survivor maybe jumped the hashtag slug, er, shark with that one.  But then I was curious and I looked on Twitter and several have used it and guys, there's even fan art.  Ack.

yep the way he threw the food away really angered me, especially when someone had said "Ill eat them raw". very inconsiderate.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Virgin girl is 29 and a Nurse Practitioner. Not too shabby. It is not an easy degree and requires, I think, fairly extensive work experience (as a nurse) and academic study. I suspect she's been working very hard and, possibly, had no time or energy for a relationship. No big deal and certainly none of our business. I just have to wonder what circumstances led her to divulge that on TV. A leading question from production no doubt. Also there's the whole religious thing.

Some of the worst nurses I've ever worked with have gone on to become nurse practitioners. Most of them decided to get an advanced degree because they totally sucked at bedside care. It is also possible to become a nurse practitioner without any nursing experience. You just need a bachelor's degree in another subject. (Google "becoming a nurse practitioner without a nursing degree" if you want to know more.) It also isn't a difficult degree to obtain. Some courses let you get a way with as little as 3 months of experience doing clinical work. Others let you take your classes entirely online, so you aren't getting any hands-on supervised experience.

4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

It's a blindside when you're too arrogant to think anybody could possibly vote you off.

The guy isn't just in denial. He's living in Fantasyland. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I thought that he was going to demand a revote. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Some of the worst nurses I've ever worked with have gone on to become nurse practitioners. Most of them decided to get an advanced degree because they totally sucked at bedside care. It is also possible to become a nurse practitioner without any nursing experience. You just need a bachelor's degree in another subject. (Google "becoming a nurse practitioner without a nursing degree" if you want to know more.) It also isn't a difficult degree to obtain. Some courses let you get a way with as little as 3 months of experience doing clinical work. Others let you take your classes entirely online, so you aren't getting any hands-on supervised experience.

Nurse practitioner requirements vary by state.

I hope to God I never need medical care in yours. :O

• Love 6

Lauren is growing on me.  Jessica doesn’t get to tell Cole who he can divulge his secret to.  

I did like seeing all 3 tribes at camp. For once I didn’t know who was going to tribal before the immunity challenge. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6

I thought I was part of the boys. We went in immediately and said we wouldn't let these girls vote us off. Saturdays are for the boys. We're not going to let it happen. We're going to stick together. I thought we were still tight. I thought we were working together.

Grow the fuck up!  

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

My favourites have to be that guy who called everybody "Scumbags!" as he left

That would be Judd from Guatemala.

4 hours ago, zibnchy said:

2. Lauren was doing a shit job at TC. She's obnoxious.

Uh . . . how was she doing a "shit job?"  She wasn't obnoxious in the least, so I don't know what on Earth you're talking about.

• Love 10

Count this redhead in as being completely offended. She made more than one crack about redheads too this season, calling them liars and saying she would never trust one. She's a nasty piece of work, and I'm actively rooting against her.  

Also, I feel a bit of empathy for Patrick because he really does seem to have ADHD, which would have a significant effect on his social skills. People with ADHD also get hyper focused when they're trying to accomplish something, which may be what happened at the challenge. I'm truly not trying to make excuses for him though I know it may seem like I am, but I also didn't read his shock at getting voted off as arrogance at all. Because people with ADHD usually say exactly whatever is running through their mind, Patrick may be a very honest person who was genuinely shocked that people who he thought liked him had lied to his face. 

Still, I do agree that his comments about Lauren's physical appearance being a reflection of her ball throwing ability weren't in the best taste, but again, in his mind, that's just a logical assumption, not a personal attack. 

I think the hustler tribe is not long for this game either way though, so I don't think it particular matters who got the boot tonight. Lauren will be next when they lose again next week unless there is a tribe shuffle, which seems likely. (I haven't watched the previews, so I'm just guessing)

• Love 1

I’ll admit I didn’t care for Lauren’s remarks about redheads( and I’m not  one).however, I also don’t care for blond  jokes ( not one of them either). Nor do I care for disparaging  remarks about Lauren’s body type vs physical ability.  All are stereotypes. Furthermore -Lauren was helping  the other two members of the tribe over that obstacle wall. She seems able to do physical things.  Patrick just didn’t like Lauren and vice-versa. We don’t know what insulting things were said to Lauren by Patrick so we don’t really know if he brought the redhead remarks upon himself. 

I think Lauren is saved by a possible tribe swap. She probably ends up on a tribe that has people  more suited to her personality. For someone who asked- I think the first tribe swap was during the Africa season, and then disappeared for a season or two. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, mythoughtis said:

For someone who asked- I think the first tribe swap was during the Africa season, and then disappeared for a season or two. 

Actually, one happened in the season after that, Marquesas.  Thailand, which came after Marquesas, had none, but after that, every season had one up to Palau, the next one next to have any.  From there, most seasons had them, but a few haven't.

• Love 1