Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, checker said:

Is a sin sot expected when two Thais marry? Is it as much as for foreigners? Do Thai brides want the personal gold in addition to the money for their families to cash on in if they break up?

Do virgins (who aren't supporting their families with sex money) call for a higher sin sot than prostitutes? Are prostitutes even looked down upon in Thailand? Or are they more of a financial asset to the family?

Does the foreigner have to keep on supporting the family financially after he's paid the sin sot they arbitrarily demanded?

the custom is the same for Thais and foreigners.  for Thais, the parents get together and agree on an amount because it is traditionally paid for by the groom's parents. gold is a normal part of a Thai wedding. Annie wants 11 baht weight of gold-- a ridiculous amount. 2 or 3 baht would be enough for most people.

a dowry can be a way to show off so the amount can be huge when wealthy Thais/celebrities marry. additionally, the parents often give the newlyweds a house/car etc.

if a girl goes off to work as a bar girl or prostitute, she will not announce it to the world--  she will say she is a singer or a waitress, etc.

"Does the foreigner have to keep on supporting the family financially after he's paid the sin sot they arbitrarily demanded?" some do, some don't. in some cases it can be a lot. my Thai in-laws never asked for a thing, but my marriage was not a marriage of convenience.

I have a feeling if David/Annie marry, it will be a huge drain on him. same for Larry from the other show.

• Love 2

The couples on TLC's 90 Day Fiancé are just regular people when they sign up for the show, but they quickly turn into mini celebrities in their own right! Just like any other reality TV star, they get paid a salary to be on the show but how much do they actually make?

TLC pays as much as $7,000 for the first season that they're on the show, according to a reddituser. But it's only paid to the American of the couple since the foreigner is not legally allowed to work in the United States until they receive their green card after marriage. It's a modest salary compared to other popular reality TV stars' salaries.

Break out stars get more and possibly get paid per episode

• Love 2
7 hours ago, meandyouzz said:

the custom is the same for Thais and foreigners.  for Thais, the parents get together and agree on an amount because it is traditionally paid for by the groom's parents. gold is a normal part of a Thai wedding. Annie wants 11 baht weight of gold-- a ridiculous amount. 2 or 3 baht would be enough for most people.

a dowry can be a way to show off so the amount can be huge when wealthy Thais/celebrities marry. additionally, the parents often give the newlyweds a house/car etc.

if a girl goes off to work as a bar girl or prostitute, she will not announce it to the world--  she will say she is a singer or a waitress, etc.

"Does the foreigner have to keep on supporting the family financially after he's paid the sin sot they arbitrarily demanded?" some do, some don't. in some cases it can be a lot. my Thai in-laws never asked for a thing, but my marriage was not a marriage of convenience.

I have a feeling if David/Annie marry, it will be a huge drain on him. same for Larry from the other show.

Thanks a lot! :)   So many thought-provoking subjects on this Forum, and so many different experiences resp. knowledge to share--I love it here!

• Love 3
On 10/11/2017 at 3:30 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I've spent the first season of watching them thinking "shouldn't it be a-ZAHN?" and now just accepting it must be AZZan if that's how everyone is pronouncing it."

Spoiler

Azan is not his real name. Most of the foreigners use fake names to keep from having their social media accounts discovered, but the Americans being the famewhores that they are, use their real names and delete old posts. Several former participants have said that the show asked them to change the names on their social media accounts. His real first name is allegedly

Spoiler

Hasan, and he was asked to change it for this show.

On 10/11/2017 at 6:15 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

There are actually far fewer horny desperate women with $$$ than there are guys who are scamming to try to get over here.

And, the more narcissistic and stupid, the better. Their "charms" won't work on a smarter woman with a bit of self-awareness.

Mohamed tried to land a Canadian or British wife, under the belief that he would allowed to travel to Canada, where his brother and cousin had received educational Visas and his brother was now living illegally, but his only taker was Danielle, and she started the K-1 process almost immediately after he struck up a conversation with her, much to consternation of her family.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:50 PM, Emmeline said:

I do not know anything about government aid, welfare, or any other government programs Nicole might be using.  So I am reaching out to any of you out there in the know.  If Nicole has the income from the show coming in, which is probably a chunk of change, how could she still be eligible for these programs?

On 10/12/2017 at 8:02 PM, merylinkid said:

Also the question has been for years, what are they actually being paid?   Some say they get minimal amounts, some say they are raking it in, some say the money is from appearances.    I have said before I would love to get my hot little lawyer hands on an actual contract.   Those would make some really interesting reading.   

According to one of Jason's (of Jason/Cassia) Twitter rants, the participants were paid as follows:

Spoiler

$5000 for their first season, and his season, which included the dumpster fire of Danielle and Mohamed received an additional $5000 viewership bonus and another $5000 for the update show, where he claimed that the show agreed to show his and Cassia's new business venture but didn't. 

He claimed that the people who had an additional season were paid more, and I think he claimed it was $25000, but the participant who lived in New Orleans who married Noon, a Thai woman, and also appeared to be a real relationship in real love (can't place his name at the moment), denied it when Jason included him and Noon's Twitter names in the post, and Jason ultimately deleted it. I never followed him because I thought he was a tool and I didn't like Cassia after I happened to be reading the show's Facebook page, which I also didn't regularly follow, the night she got banned for hate filled rhetoric to the posters on that thread, which started with a comment about about Melanie and Devar, wherein it was stated that if Devar was using her for a Green Card, they at least seemed to like each other, and Cassia jumped in with "all American women had cookie dough asses and her husband had to travel to Colombia to find an attractive wife," then proceeded to get nastier to people who responded to her and even people who didn't respond to her.

Even though I didn't and don't like Jason, it seems consistent with the amounts paid for other shows and he was pissed at Sharp Entertainment for not telling their true story and claimed that they were told to act up and they might get their own show, which never materialized because they were disliked for their "poor acting skills." He was quite salty and went on several Twitter rants during the episodes after he discovered they were disliked, and I was reading the live threads when his tweets were posted with hashtag. He was never stopped from tweeting by the show, because they apparently decided his tweets were adding viewers to the show or something.

Edited by Christina
Spoiler tag didn't load right.
  • Love 3

First... I post in the FB group that the way Nichole says Azan's name irritates me beyond what is reasonable. The comments from a couple of Nichole defenders is that it's not his real name in the first place so she is not disrespecting anything... and that Azan is not even a real Moroccan name or word... and his real name is Hassan. So when I ask why she calls him Azan the answer is that it is a name he chose, not her. Soooo, she is still mispronouncing it Azan! Okay, enough.

Am hoping not to hear the singing from Evelyn every week and also hoping they stop using the word "gig". They abuse the word and it doesn't even seem to be a part of their normal vocabulary. Just a word to give them some sort of connection to performing. 

So, you all still don't think Molly reminds you of Amber on Teen Mom? Her voice and physical features?

And then, what kind of sentence is "People need to stay where they come from?" 

• Love 10

Parents Evelyn have "always been praying for her spouse"? The girl is 18. Gross. Although they are so young-looking, maybe their brand of Christianity believes women are spinsters at age 20. ... And now it's 20 minutes later, and yes, they got married when Father Evelyn was 19. Now Mother Evelyn is talking about how "long" the process has been. Uh ... less than a year from the time they met online?

Molly boo-hooing at her mom hurt my ears. And Father Molly may be a "bigot in sheep's clothing," but Molly is an idiot to think that her boy toy doesn't have his eye on a green card.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

Now Mother Evelyn is talking about how "long" the process has been. Uh ... less than a year from the time they met online?

Yes, didn't she say their 1-year anniversary will be in December, but during filming it was... September the latest? It looked like summer.

God, I think I pulled a muscle full-body cringing at Azan meeting Mae. I don't like it when adults mob small children with physical affection without letting the kid initiate (especially on first meeting); it's an icky boundary issue for me, and I know not everyone thinks that way, and that's okay. Still, dude, slow your roll with immediately snuggling and kissing the kid and encouraging her to parrot this "daddy" nonsense. Not cool, and of course, bad on Nicole too.

Evelyn is insufferable. During her obligatory "family/friend expresses doubt over ill-advised marriage" scene, it did crack me up at how bad of an actress she is. There was at least one of those iced coffee little bird sips where she didn't actually drink a single drop.

I get a very country-fried Gilmore Girls vibe from Molly, her mom, and her daughter -- and they're a good example of how this doesn't work in real life. Lots of clinging and codependency there, not exactly charming.

• Love 13

Man... Evelyn is insufferable.  Her tiny little side sips on that iced coffee was hard to watch. The parents are odd, and all the talk about David "joining the family" came off really weird.

When I turned 18, my parents were excited for me to go to college and seek out a decent career. They would have lost their collective minds if I'd said "now is the time for me to marry a 26 year old girl in another country that thought I was attractive online. We're in love. That's all that matters."

• Love 21
8 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

So, you all still don't think Molly reminds you of Amber on Teen Mom? Her voice and physical features?

During the scene with her mom I was getting serious Amber vibes in her face. Her voice not so much, as Molly's accent clouds everything for me. But yeah, she's totally Amber Sr. to me.

• Love 6

I’m not trying to be Judgy McJudgerson, but:  Evelyn seems like a sweet girl (by the standards set on this show), but her family creeps me out a little.  Her parents are a little too cool with her marrying a stranger at 18, and her bro is odd with his intensity about breaking up the band.  Also….does her family all look approximately the same age?!   Her parents look very young.  I’m with most of you:  She seems in lust, and like a 16 year old in love with Justin Timberlake (“have you ever been in LUUUVVV before, ya dumb bitch?”); she’s into the idea of this man and being in wuv, but does she really understand marriage?  I’m with McKayla’s sensible thoughts, and I feel like Evelyn has spent much of their friendship being a bitch to McKayla.  If she just got her rocks off, maybe she’d think about this sketchy marriage a bit more clearly.  “God is going to provide us…” is the weirdest game plan to me.  But, I’m a heathen, so WTF do I know?  And since I’m already on the bitch train:  Imma need Evelyn to never sing at me again; she sounds like a dying cat.

I just can’t with Nicole.  She’s the worst.  Her mother is maybe a little extra about the whole thing (and frankly, maybe a teeny bit racist), but you can see that it breaks her heart that Nicole is taking Mae in an unhealthy situation with Azan.  Nicole and Azan aren’t good together and that can’t be good for Mae.  We’ll see how it works, but I’m sure Nicole will pawn Mae off on Azan’s family if possible because she can’t deal with that child.  Nicole being jealous of the affection Azan gave Mae was the nastiest shit I think I’ve ever seen on this show.  And that’s saying A LOT.  We’ll see, but I actually think Azan is cute with Mae and he genuinely likes her. 

Annie is a super gold digger!  Wow!  She isn’t even hiding it, and she seems a little rode hard to be so demanding.  “We are looking for a ring for me…and a ring, bracelet, necklace, headdress, a Rolls, 11 pounds of gold for her”  Her look of pure disappointment was disgusting, and David trying to roll big with money that DOESN’T exist makes me yell at the tv.

I think on some level, Molly’s dad is making some sense re: her thinking about her situation, but…“If you follow politics at all…”  Molly’s dad straight up seems like the type of person that makes me angry:  He is so blinded his fear of “the other” that nothing else matters.  Luis may be all of the things he says, but it isn’t a guarantee b/c he’s a brown dude who is using your magical white daughter to get into ‘Murica.   I live in the South and I’ve met lots of “traditional Southern older gentlemen”, and they aren’t bigoted assholes.   Goodness knows I’ve also met quite a few like Molly’s dad too.  

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 19

Nicole: “When Azan was kissing Mae, I felt a little bit of jealousy.”

Good God, I absolutely cannot with this dumb bitch.  It’s been an extraordinarily challenging week and my patience is already low.  I can’t stand women like this, who involve their tiny children in their incredibly poor life choices.  It’s inexcusable that she’s dragging that poor little girl across the world to act as a pawn in her manipulative game.  

As for Evelyn, how the hell can her parents support this?  Why does an attractive, seemingly intelligent 18-year-old girl (who cannot fucking sing, ohmygod) have to go to these extremes to find a suitable partner?  For that matter, why does an attractive, seemingly intelligent 18-year-old girl have to get married RIGHT NOW (*cough* Joy Duggar *cough*)?  I have never seen such rampant indulgence in the whims of someone so young.  It seems that everyone in her life besides that one friend is kissing her ass and condoning this idiocy.  She was such a bitch to her friend.  I keenly remember being a young girl of barely 21 (with the maturity and experience of someone much younger) and insisting to everyone in my life that the greasy, unemployed druggie I’d known for five weeks and was about to marry was a great choice for a life partner.  I had that same smug look on my face with my friends and family as I assured them that there’s no way he would turn out to be an abusive deadbeat dad who paid child support when the mood suited him.  I was cut down to size in due time in my youthful arrogance/ignorance and Evelyn will be, too.  When a young person decides to do something like this, it’s nearly impossible to convince them otherwise.  Poor Evelyn’s parents will come to regret green-lighting this lunacy and when they do, they should buy that friend of hers a drink or four and apologize for not listening to her when they had the chance.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 21

I really like Azan. Seriously, what he is getting from Nicole? He doesn't seem needy or a huge scammer, somebody explain his motivation to me. The Von Trapp family singers make me puke. Your daughter is too young to get married. Yes,  he seems like a decent guy, but just cause your teen marriage made it, doesn't mean hers will.

ETA, hell yes, Molly is an older Amber from Teen Mom 2, it's the face and brows. 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

During the scene with her mom I was getting serious Amber vibes in her face. Her voice not so much, as Molly's accent clouds everything for me. But yeah, she's totally Amber Sr. to me.

Oh God, you're right.  Like we need more Amber.  

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Standard Staples said:

You thinking of Paul Reubens, aka Pee-Wee Herman? He looks exactly like him.

Wrong forum. They're from 90DF: Before the 90 Days.

OMG he does look like Pee-Wee! 

This week was so icky, with Evelyn the entitled special snowflake Christian who wants her fiancé here NOW, Nicole taking Mae to Morocco and the toddler immediately calling Azan Daddy and David and his (literally) gold digging fiance. Of course, I can't look away, but I need a shower. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

"God is going to provide us…” is the weirdest game plan to me. 

It's an excuse for not having a game plan, and it's fucked up.  If that worked, no one would need a job or money in the bank.  

How did she meet the income eligibility requirements to bring the Deflowerer to the US?  

• Love 11

Evelyn, dear Evelyn, I hate to break it to you, but you can’t live on love.  And no, God won’t provide.  There is a saying, “God help those who help themselves.”  I can’t believe her parents is giving her their blessings.  I have a feeling this won’t end well. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, peaceknit said:

Evelyn: "Mikayla and I's viewpoint..." OMG, please jam a pencil in my ear! 

Nicole: Mae on a leash. Good grief. Oh, and Nicole and her family are about the pinkest, blondest family I've ever seen.

Just when you think Nicole can't make any more stereotypical poor decisions... she puts poor Mae on a leash. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

It's an excuse for not having a game plan, and it's fucked up.  If that worked, no one would need a job or money in the bank.  

How did she meet the income eligibility requirements to bring the Deflowerer to the US?  

Look to Nicole for that answer: parental sponsorship.

I also agree that, regardless of your religious beliefs, assuming God will provide is the response of someone with absolutely no idea how they will actually provide. I'm guessing they'll be in the basement for many years to come, but at least Evelyn can still play those "gigs."

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

They're actually called leads, and they're a very good safety device for children who run away all the time.  I wish more parents would use them, preferably until children turn 18.  I see this as a good parenting decision, which means it's an accident for Nicole.  

In many cases, leads are a good idea until 21 or even 25. How old is Nicole?

Edited by Desert Rat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Agreed - but how 'bout Molly's brother?  Dude's kinda hot!!

Molly, her mother and her father are all cartoon stereotypes.  Her brother is Jose Eber, hairdresser to the stars:  

IMG_6296.JPG

1 minute ago, anniebird said:

As soon as she said that, she was dead to me.

Darn, now you know she's going to pray for you.  

• Love 13

I am convinced Evelyn's story is a ruse, designed to advertise the family band with evelyn as lead singer. No interest here. 

Molly is clearly successful in business but makes poor choices in men. I was lol at her brother. Could he be more of a stereotype of the never do well brother, down to his 20+ year old car? Dad actually made a point, although it was pretty obvious what was behind it. 

Annie, at least you are up front about what you want . I still don't understand what is up with David. Does he have a job?

I just can't with Nicole. Taking Mae to morocco was stupid. I loled at how gingerly Azan embraced her. He barely touched her. He's obviously on his best behavior. Keep telling her you love her. 

• Love 11

Those are some short shorts, Evelyn. I guess you don't follow the Duggar modestly dress code. Good. 

No planning needed. God will provide a house and food. Delusional much!

Evelyn's friend, get a clue, they are rushing to get marrieddbecause SEX. They won't wait two years. 

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 5

Face it Nicole, Mae is the only thing you've got going for you.  But how very of you to be jealous, you just had to have instant family with her & Azan and when he actually took to her, you have a problem with it.  

• Love 6

Like to everything ya’ll already had to say...

Why does TLC feel the need to show a preview of the show during the commercials?  They said the show would be back in 2 mins and we were already 3 commercials in.

Nicole is a self-entitled brat and her parents are to blame.  I’m only slightly judging the backpack tether thing.  I don’t have kids, so I don’t know, but I’m guessing Nicole can’t muster up the energy to keep track of a toddler. OR maybe her family insists on it because she (Nicole) is easily distracted.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Molly, her mother and her father are all cartoon stereotypes.  Her brother is Jose Eber, hairdresser to the stars:  

IMG_6296.JPG

Darn, now you know she's going to pray for you.  

Great pic of brother Molly. And his old ass car made me lol. 

• Love 8

Azan might be a great guy, but he is NOT daddy.  The manipulation of the child is really making me angry. What happens when Azan leaves Nicole?  Where will "daddy" be then?  Azan doesn't want to be a daddy to Mae. He wants a ticket to America.

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 17

Evelyn is one of the most insufferable people I have seen on TV in a long time, and I watch a lot of bad reality TV so that's a high bar. I just pray the cameras are around when reality smacks her in her smug, poor-man's-Anne-Hathway face. (I don't mind her hair, though.)

Molly's voice is so bad I have to FF her scenes. Too much going on there for me to hear what she's even saying, but I will assume it's dumb because she's on this show.

Since there seems to be mass confusion on this board, I confirmed on the subtitles: Nicole's daughter is named May, not "Mae."

• Love 13
51 minutes ago, Standard Staples said:

Man... Evelyn is insufferable.  Her tiny little side sips on that iced coffee was hard to watch. The parents are odd, and all the talk about David "joining the family" came off really weird.

When I turned 18, my parents were excited for me to go to college and seek out a decent career. They would have lost their collective minds if I'd said "now is the time for me to marry a 26 year old girl in another country that thought I was attractive online. We're in love. That's all that matters."

You summed up exactly what I was coming here to post. I wanted to slap that drink out her hand. 20,879 stupid sips later and the cup was still filled to the rim???

Second complaint...she's a smug child. Her voice was average at best,  and the whole weird family band was like 4- 16 year old boys forming a garage band. But worse. 

Lastly, her hair. 

One more thing. I've noticed recently (thanks to social media) that whenever someone is not supportive or speaks out, they are 'just jealous'. It looks like this is the direction they are going with Evelyn's friend. She's the only one advising 80's hair girl  Evelyn to slow down and stop being an idiot get to know jerk bag David better before marrying. My son is 20 and if he talked to me about marriage, I'd lock him in the basement. He still needs to finish schooling, get his own place and start his career. THEN think about marriage. Why do her parents not feel more like this??? 

• Love 17

Evelyn, you need to meet reality. The real reality. God does provide - lessons and challenges. The Universe is not some giant ATM where you can get what you want when you want. Getting married at any age is tough, hard work, but at 18????? Your parents need to have a long talk with you about growing up, getting yourself a skill (besides your 'singing') so that you can support yourself if your wonderful marriage goes belly-up. Go to some sort of college, get a diploma or a degree and travel, have fun, date, etc. Your friend Michaela gives you good advice and is the voice of sanity. But you are far too 'perfect' and 'in love'. And she hasn't been 'in love'. You, Evelyn, are in lust. Real love is unconditional and you have a long way to go.

Nicole, your 'boyfriend' is not instant 'family'. Too soon for May to be calling him 'daddy'. He will be one of many 'uncles'. Although maybe he does actually care for May.

Molly, you are allowed to have someone special in your life. But you do need to vet him/check him out/check out his intentions.

Annie, you know exactly what you want. Unfortunately, you chose a Rumplestiltskin type who has only straw and no gold.

• Love 15

At first I was a little put off by May's leash but really that is for her own safety. Nicole can't seem to take care of herself and May seems to be high energy and run off at will. Azan was happier to see May than he was Nicole. I can't read this guy. Does he really want to come to America? Is it worth it to him to put up with Nicole, he acts like he can't stand her. It's Danyell and Mo all over again. 

Molly is desperate. Her boyfriend looks like her son. 

Evelyn. This poor delusional girl, she can't sing, it was painful and my ears hurt. That friend of hers will be gone as soon as the marriage happens.

David, your fiancée is using you. She basically admitted it. 

• Love 12

One thing I caught while rewatching last weeks episode tonight: Nicole said May’s father is “not really in her life.” She didn’t say May’s father is not in her life at all. 

The way she phrased it tells me that May’s real dad is around — at least in some form. Maybe with some child support.  I’d love to know what he thinks after he finds out May is calling Azan “daddy.”

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Straycat80 said:

At first I was a little put off by May's leash but really that is for her own safety. Nicole can't seem to take care of herself and May seems to be high energy and run off at will. Azan was happier to see May than he was Nicole. I can't read this guy. Does he really want to come to America? Is it worth it to him to put up with Nicole, he acts like he can't stand her. It's Danyell and Mo all over again. 

Molly is desperate. Her boyfriend looks like her son. 

Evelyn. This poor delusional girl, she can't sing, it was painful and my ears hurt. That friend of hers will be gone as soon as the marriage happens.

David, your fiancée is using you. She basically admitted it. 

I am all for Mae being on that tether after I saw her climbing on the baggage belt! Nicole can't run fast or far eoungh to catch her either. Is she a smoker?

• Love 10