Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

From http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-dowry.php

"So you have finally found your true love in the Land of Smiles – but you’ve got one major question before taking the big plunge. “How much dowry do I need to pay for my bride?”

This is the question that always pops up along with the other requirements for Marriage in Thailand. The Thai dowry system, which is more commonly known as Sin Sod, is deeply rooted in Thai culture. It is a way of honoring your bride’s parents for raising their daughter well. This is also a way of showing that you are financially capable of taking care of your Thai bride throughout your married life, because her parents tend to consider financial security as basis for the marriage.

You will need to negotiate with your bride’s parents regarding the amounts of the Sin Sod and Tong Mun. Tong Mun, which means gold engagement, is 24-karat gold that you give to your wife-to-be. The rule of thumb is, the higher the amount of the gold, the better. This is similar to the giving an engagement ring in the West.

Then there’s the Sin Sod, or the actual dowry, which can include anything of value, but usually it is about the money. Most Westerners get confused with the amount of dowry that they have to pay to their Thai bride’s parents, as dowry prices are set at unbelievably high amounts ranging from 100,000- 1,000,000 baht. [...]"

@AMYBRE: Would you like to mail that 20.00 to me? I could really use it!

TwirlyGirl, thanks for your research into this and for sharing this knowledge with us.  As much as I despised some of the people on this show, I'm glad I found this forum and all I've learned from its contributors.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

The other thing I find fascinating is how all these women think the US is filled with gold and unicorns. They think it's all cities and excitement. Um, nope. Much of the US is very ordinary. Just like other parts of the world are ordinary too. There is beauty and excitement all over the world, but not in every square inch of it. 

In my experience, America is still regarded by many to be the land of opportunity.  The America they see on the popular television shows does not represent the real country, of course.  When I lived in Europe, the last thing anyone wanted to hear was that the US is a country like any other, most of it quite ordinary.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sprockets said:

But Nicole could not do that, even if she wanted to ,and even if Azan wanted her to, which he doesn't because he wants to come to the States.  Morocco wouldn't want her.  Her threat was an empty one, and it could only have worked on people who didn't care enough to research the facts.  

Nicole could cut out the grandparents completely and has probably threatened just that. Nicole holds all the cards and she knows it.  If the grandparents want to maintain a relationship that have to keep Nicole happy to a certain extent. Nicole is not a good mother and it's in the child's best interest if the grandparents stay in her life even if it means catering to Nicole.  This is a horrible situation but someone needs to look out for Mae.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, AmyBre said:

I'm with Kelly on this one.  There's no abuse per se.  It's more neglect and very poor child rearing.

Neglect is abuse and can result in just as severe physical and psychological harm as beatings or other intentional injury. It is also abusive to put your personal desires above the needs of your children.  Neglect is abuse in the legal sense, and the state can and will remove children in cases of neglect. 

7 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:
54 minutes ago, AmyBre said:

I'm with Kelly on this one.  There's no abuse per se.  It's more neglect and very poor child rearing.

Neglect is abuse and can result in just as severe physical and psychological harm as beatings or other intentional injury. It is also abusive to put your personal desires above the needs of your children.  Neglect is abuse in the legal sense, and the state can and will remove children in cases of neglect. 

There's a difference between bad parenting and criminal abuse/neglect. Which is really a good thing -- you don't want to lose the custody of your children, or your job (if you work with kids) because you have a DCS case on the books due to one caseworker, a fallible often-overworked human who has their own personal biases, thinking you've made some shitty life choices. 

Realistically, kids are only removed if a child shows clear evidence of injury or is in immediate risk (which is, as an aside, emotional abuse rarely receives the intervention it needs). In the case of neglect, examples would be failure to thrive, sores from lack of bathing or being left in crib/bed all day, malnutrition. A parent who fobs off many of the duties of care on their own parents, or makes life decisions with their own best interests in heart -- it's bad parenting, but not criminally so. Mae doesn't appear to be in danger. Unfortunately, too many of us grew up with shitty parents. But it doesn't mean the state could or should intervene. 

• Love 17

Did you see that gleefully-defiant smugface Nicole made when her mother said that she actually gained more weight since her last trip to visit Azan?  She has no interest in becoming healthier.  Also, to say that you're jealous of your daughter getting attention from Azan really shows how demented you are, Nicole.  Yikes.

Does the Stroke Guy in Thailand realize he is being used?  Thousands expected in gold.  Thousands expected as a dowry to parents.  He is broke. 

I'm sure 18-year-old Christian musician's boyfriend is a virgin too.  ;p

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Hero said:

Evelyn was so damn smug to her friend when she said "have you ever been in love?"

It seems to me that Evelyn just wants to have sex, and the quickest way to do that is to get married. 

My  thought exactly. Why didn’t she want to wait a year two to get married? because then she’d have to wait a year to to have sex.  I really doubt her fiancé is a virgin at his age — but he’s telling her that, of course.

I did not get a good impression of Evelyn. She seems incredibly shallow, incredibly smug, and  incredibly stuck up.  How sad that just to get attention for her singing career her parents went along with her getting married on television. 

ETA:  The Thai couple is doomed. She expects to be with an American who has money. She wants financial security and that is everything to her. But this guy can’t provide financial security for himself much less for her too. Does he even work? what industry was he in. Can he get back into it at 48?

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 16

I absolutely cannot stand Molly.  Her voice is so obnoxious and grating.  She might have a nice house, but I’m pretty sure if you totaled up the value of all the knickknacks she’s got on every single surface in that house they’d cost more than the actual house. I cannot stand clutter and Molly is 100% clutter.

• Love 7

I think we can all agree that Nicole is an absolutely shitty parent. But what do people expect CPS can/should do here? A mom, who seemingly has sole custody of her child, is taking said child to visit her fiance. 

Grandparents have ZERO legal rights to grandchildren, unless awarded in court. Nicole's parents have nothing (that has been shown to us) to use to take her to court. And they clearly know it, or I think Mom Nicole would have already tried it. 

CPS has cases of children being beaten and starved and living in methlabs to deal with. I'm not saying that emotional well being isn't as important as physical well being, but it's sure a lot harder to gauge without essentially moving in with someone. And while she is a shitty mom, I don't agree that she deserves to lose her kid over her choices. What would they see when they looked? A child with a roof over her head, food in her belly, and a loving family. And yes, and idiot for a mother. But half the world would be orphans if idiots couldn't parent.

Kids are everywhere. Should parents in the most violent, crime riddles cities (not saying Azan's is one of them) automatically have their kids taken away and shipped off elsewhere? Should CPS automatically believe everyone who makes a report of bad parenting (think of how many false reports must get made in a day from disgruntled exes and grandparents)? It's a complex issue and I'm just not comfortable living in that much of a nanny state. They have criteria to meet for a reason and they're overworked and underfunded everywhere. There are kids much worse off than Mae. Not that my heart doesn't break for her. 

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 23
2 minutes ago, Squirrely said:

But what do people expect CPS can/should do here? 

CPS can't do anything.  But Nicole's parents should stop her taking Mae, because they know Nicole is a shit parent.  Whether they have to beg, plead or threaten her, they should stop it.  

Edited by Sprockets
3 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

CPS can't do anything.  But Nicole's parents should stop her taking Mae, because they know Nicole is a shit parent.  Whether they have to beg, plead or threaten her, they should stop it.  

I don't think her dad should have agreed to sponsor Azan. Everyone who said he should call her bluff was spot on. But they can't stop her from taking her child anywhere! They have no legal rights to do so. TLC is certainly paying the freight for that to happen. And when they read forums like this and see the majority of the conversations are about Nicole, they'll feel very justified for doing so. 

• Love 15
Just now, Squirrely said:

But they can't stop her from taking her child anywhere!

I'm pretty sure they know things about Nicole that Nicole doesn't want the public to know.  If they have serious concerns about Mae's welfare, they should use whatever means they can to make Nicole leave her at home.  

I am starting to notice a trend.  Every season, at least one of the American participants in the "90 Days" franchise, hails from Ohio, Kentucky, Florida and/or Pennsylvania.  What is up with that? 

• Love 6

I was loving the hot mess preview.

The Baby Huey of Bradenton is back, and bigger just a little bit.

The David and Annie water buffalo bride price drama is intriguing. 

Not so interested in Elizabeth and her Eastern European.

Ooooh, looks like Molly found herself a "sanky panky". This cannot end well.

I'm sooooooo ashamed of myself! (Not sorry)

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

I am starting to notice a trend.  Every season, at least one of the American participants in the "90 Days" franchise, hails from Ohio, Kentucky, Florida and/or Pennsylvania.  What is up with that? 

They probably have producers there!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I live in Cincinnati and I remember an article in our local paper that reality shows like to cast from within the Indianapolis-Dayton-Columbus-Cincinnati-Louisville-Lexington megaregion because the ratings will be much higher.  The Enquirer is behind a paywall and has a shitty search engine so I can’t find the actual article. 

• Love 3

In Thailand the dowry is given as part of the wedding ceremony, not at the engagement. At the promise to marry event (engagement) the parents get together and discuss the dowry,  Traditionally the money would be held by the parents on behalf of their daughter as a form of insurance in case the man ran away. It originally was not for the parents.

The amount of dowry and gold Annie is asking for is ridiculous--my Thai wife had a good laugh at that. The dowry is based on what the woman offers the man, not on the man's wealth. If the woman is educated, from a wealthy family or a beauty queen, the dowry is high. But Annie is poor and uneducated, so her parents can't ask for much. My wife was a public school teacher when we got engaged and her family asked for 100,000 baht but the money was returned after the wedding-- it was just symbolic. Many parents return the money.

Annie is trying to get as much out of David as she can. I think she will then split and look for another sucker.

Annie is a bar girl, the worst type to marry (or try to marry). You can take the girl out of the bar, but you can't take the bar out of the girl.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Squirrely said:

CPS has cases of children being beaten and starved and living in methlabs to deal with. I'm not saying that emotional well being isn't as important as physical well being, but it's sure a lot harder to gauge without essentially moving in with someone. And while she is a shitty mom, I don't agree that she deserves to lose her kid over her choices. What would they see when they looked? A child with a roof over her head, food in her belly, and a loving family. And yes, and idiot for a mother. But half the world would be orphans if idiots couldn't parent.

Kids are everywhere. Should parents in the most violent, crime riddles cities (not saying Azan's is one of them) automatically have their kids taken away and shipped off elsewhere? Should CPS automatically believe everyone who makes a report of bad parenting (think of how many false reports must get made in a day from disgruntled exes and grandparents)? It's a complex issue and I'm just not comfortable living in that much of a nanny state. They have criteria to meet for a reason and they're overworked and underfunded everywhere. There are kids much worse off than Mae. Not that my heart doesn't break for her. 

You're absolutely right. As much as I worry for May, and not because she's going to Morocco but because I seriously doubt Nicole's parenting abilities, there's nothing illegal about a parent taking a kid out of the US. In fact, I would be VERY concerned if that became a "thing."  This is the kind of case that would've frustrated us because there's nothing we could have done about it: May is fed, housed, clothed, bathed, and appears to be functioning at a normal level. 

With that being said, I get the OTHER frustration. If I were her grandparents, I wouldn't want her to go either. I believe they know something about Nicole that we don't and they're worried on an entirely different level. In their shoes, I don't know what I would've done to keep May with me but I think money would've been involved (on my part). I think the only reason Nicole is taking May to Morrocco is out of spite. To show them that she CAN and WILL. I only hope that Azan's family is warm and loving towards May and takes better care of her than Nicole does. I hate to stereotype here but every Muslim family I've known has absolutely loved children and been VERY good to them. I find Muslim women, in general, to be caring and loving to little ones. I have no concerns about how Azan's family will treat May-my concerns rest solely with Nicole. 

10 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

A parent who fobs off many of the duties of care on their own parents, or makes life decisions with their own best interests in heart -- it's bad parenting, but not criminally so. Mae doesn't appear to be in danger. Unfortunately, too many of us grew up with shitty parents. But it doesn't mean the state could or should intervene. 

This is true, too. "Neglect", in this case especially, can fall into a gray area and that can be dangerous. Sometimes parenting styles are just different but other people can view them as neglectful. That's why we, like you said, have to look at whether or not the child is actually endangered. When I was a social worker, I worked as a family preservationist. We worked with families to help them make changes so that they could keep their kids in their homes, if at all possible. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Nicole could cut out the grandparents completely and has probably threatened just that. Nicole holds all the cards and she knows it.  If the grandparents want to maintain a relationship that have to keep Nicole happy to a certain extent. Nicole is not a good mother and it's in the child's best interest if the grandparents stay in her life even if it means catering to Nicole.  This is a horrible situation but someone needs to look out for Mae.

I don't think Nicole would ever cut out her parents completely. They are her free babysitting.  Remember the throw away line from her mother saying something about how she will manage to take care of Mae in Morocco since she is only there by herself?  I think Nicole relies alot on her parents for both financial support and assistance with the day to day stuff with Mae.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

Yeah, let's not always blame the mom when the kids turn out rotten. Some people are born with a personality disorder or with severe character flaws that can be extremely hard to overcome, even with the best parenting. My impression from watching this is that the mother sees through Nicole, who may well take after her dad. He did not seem too sharp and was willing to cave into the blackmail. Mama Nicole has her daughter's number, but her efforts are undercut by a dad who is too stupid to see what is happening, or doesn't care because spoiling his precious baby is a good way to get back at his ex. The brother seems to have it more together and takes after his more sensible mother. 

Her father should have called her on her bluff. She would have been back in less than two weeks. I bet he was the kind of parent who was afraid she would actually hold her breath until she turned blue and died. 

Brother Nicole looks exactly like mother Nicole's second husband. Maybe that is why he is smart. I also believe TLC IS PAYING ALL OR half the money to sponsor Azan. They want a show!

• Love 4
On 10/8/2017 at 8:29 PM, Mr. Minor said:

Did this fucking cow just ask Mae if she wanted to see daddy?

This appalled us, too. I hope that Mae's biological father is involved in her life, sees this show, and takes it to court as evidence.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:28 PM, NinaH said:

Omg Nicole is such a selfish, sorry piece of shit!!!!!  Her dad & stepmom, who are partially responsible for that, are idiots for caving in to her. 

On 10/8/2017 at 8:32 PM, NinaH said:

Yep. She doesn't deserve that precious child.  What a sad life Mae has and always will with that scumbag for a mother. In a very few years, she'll surpass her in intelligence so maybe she can raise herself up into a decent, productive human. 

Yep, using her child as hostage to her grandparents to get her way. 

Her father and step-mother really are stupid. If Mae's biological father is involved in her life, Nicole can't just up and move out of the country with Mae. (I don't remember from last season whether Mae's father is around or is paying child support or not.) Also, grandparents have rights. And Nicole's mother could argue that Nicole is not in a position to move to Morocco because she's already not supporting herself and her daughter, since she lives with her mother and step-father. (Or am I remembering that wrong from last season? I could swear Nicole lives with them.)

• Love 1

Truth of the matter is that Nicole will never have a partner. She'll have enablers and eventually caregivers, but she's too small minded, immature, selfish and vile to ever consider someone else's needs. I hope Mae goes off to college and disconnects from the emotional succubus that is her mother. I know reality television only shows a sliver of truth, but Nicole has revealed herself a a truly terrible person. Azan is a million times better off in Morocco if the US means tolerating Nicole. She is by far the worst person ever on this show in all its iterations. 

• Love 18

I'm glad that Mae will have the 90 day crew there in Morocco to watch out for her. I'm sure Azan's mother and family will be very good to her and keep a better eye on her than her own mother. I can sort of get how if Nicole saved every penny she could afford a trip to Morocco but two months! I know people with decent jobs who couldn't take two months away from work. I doubt she's in a job that gives paid vacations let alone two months off work and your job is still there for you. Not only do you need the plane ticket but food, lodging and spending money in addition to all of the bills back home, two months rent is quite a chunk of change unless she's giving up her place but then there would be the expense of finding a new one, first/last/security/utilities being turned on etc upon her return. Who can just take off for two whole months? 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

I'm glad that Mae will have the 90 day crew there in Morocco to watch out for her. I'm sure Azan's mother and family will be very good to her and keep a better eye on her than her own mother. I can sort of get how if Nicole saved every penny she could afford a trip to Morocco but two months! I know people with decent jobs who couldn't take two months away from work. I doubt she's in a job that gives paid vacations let alone two months off work and your job is still there for you. Not only do you need the plane ticket but food, lodging and spending money in addition to all of the bills back home, two months rent is quite a chunk of change unless she's giving up her place but then there would be the expense of finding a new one, first/last/security/utilities being turned on etc upon her return. Who can just take off for two whole months? 

I would bet my first kid that TLC/Sharp are paying most of Nicole's expenses.  She is ratings gold.   Nicole is a welfare queen and just as she is probably defrauding the government to pay for many of her expenses, she has found another cash cow with this program.   In her solitude, Nicole probably congratulates herself on finding this setup, not knowing she is the one being exploited.    This is Danielle and Mohammed all over again.

• Love 8

Did Nicole refer to Azan in front of Mae as "Daddy" in one scene and "Azan" in another?  Talk about confusing. How about don't call him daddy at all. Ever. Nicole is so smug when she gets her way, it makes me so angry.

If that girl (can't remember her name-Elizabeth?)  says "Andrei" with rolled r's one more time I'm throwing my TV out the window. Also, she really needs to grow up.

Why did Molly have a statue of Mary in a cage in her bathroom?

All these old guys in this series seeking out young women make me so, so uncomfortable I can barely watch.

• Love 8
On 10/8/2017 at 10:49 PM, Bugfrey Von said:

Nicole gives off the self-satisfied, smug air of a gigantic toddler who just learned to flush the toilet. She is painfully and aggressively stupid and makes the wrong decisions at every turn.

Bingo.

I felt terrible for Nicole's mother, who clearly loves her but has no illusions about her. A good person can produce a terrible child.

23 hours ago, brillia79 said:

Being in Morocco is not child abuse. Children are born and raised there. It's not covered in dung and overrun with mummies.

Morocco is not the problem. Nicole being stupid and selfish is the problem. If Nicole didn't have family in Florida doing the actual parenting, Mae would be in just as much risk here as she would be overseas. Because Nicole is the kind of person who thinks rules don't apply to her. And she has a family full of enablers to feed into that ideology.

Going to Morocco could be the best thing that ever happens to May. Azan's mother and aunties will surely fuss over her and treat her like a princess. They'll pay attention to her, not spend hours texting and skyping some hottie. They'll teach her to count to ten in Arabic and feed her tidbits when they're cooking and sing her to sleep. You know, while Nicole is ignoring her.

20 hours ago, Sprockets said:

So, assuming Azan gets permission to come here on a visa (which is iffy, IMO), remember Nicole's father stipulated that a condition of sponsoring him would be that he and Nicole not live together.  So where is Azan supposed to live?  Of course he isn't allowed to stay in section 8 housing, if that's where Nicole is, so what is Father Nicole's plan?  

And does Father Nicole think his daughter is a born again virgin? Does he think she won't be ripping poor hapless Azan's trousers off at every opportunity while she's away? What a chump.

If I recall correctly, Nicole met May's father online and chased off to Texas to "be with him". She wound up pregnant, Daddy May took off, never to be heard from again, and Nicole turned up on her parents' doorstep broke, knocked up, and probably utterly unrepentant.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 15

Father Nicole is going to be out an extra load of money due to his stipulation Nicole and Azan not live together until marriage. Even if he can get a short lease for 3 months, there's still the standard first & last, security deposit, etc. And it'll be totally for nothing because Bulldozer Nicole is going to make sure she's on Azan 24/7. Father Nicole is missing a few brain cells if he thinks she's going to be sitting alone in her Section 8 motel like a prim little virgin waiting for the big day. We all know that ain't happening. 

It's going to be Mo/Dani all over again. Azan will bolt as soon as he's able. And if she has a trap baby with him, he'll do it anyway. I don't foresee his family coming over here any time soon either. I remember when Alexei and Loren found out bringing his family over takes years, Azan's family will be in the same boat. 

12 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Are we sure she is pronouncing his name correctly. Somehow "Azin" doesn't sound right.

I think it's pronounced "Ah-Zahn". Stupid cow can't even pronounce his name right. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

This appalled us, too. I hope that Mae's biological father is involved in her life, sees this show, and takes it to court as evidence.

Her father and step-mother really are stupid. If Mae's biological father is involved in her life, Nicole can't just up and move out of the country with Mae. (I don't remember from last season whether Mae's father is around or is paying child support or not.) Also, grandparents have rights. And Nicole's mother could argue that Nicole is not in a position to move to Morocco because she's already not supporting herself and her daughter, since she lives with her mother and step-father. (Or am I remembering that wrong from last season? I could swear Nicole lives with them.)

IIRC from the first season of Nicole, the biological father of Mae is not in their lives.  I dont think Nicole lives w her parents, she had/has a small efficiency apt for her and Mae.

I agree that both her parents should have stood their ground.  Nicole is awful.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

And does Father Nicole think his daughter is a born again virgin? Does he think she won't be ripping poor hapless Azan's trousers off at every opportunity while she's away? What a chump.

You know, I just realized that he may not be a chump in demanding that Nicole and Azan not live together before they're married. It may be a very clever way of preventing Nicole from importing Azan. It might turn out that her father is secretly a genius.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Father Nicole is going to be out an extra load of money due to his stipulation Nicole and Azan not live together until marriage. Even if he can get a short lease for 3 months, there's still the standard first & last, security deposit, etc. And it'll be totally for nothing because Bulldozer Nicole is going to make sure she's on Azan 24/7. Father Nicole is missing a few brain cells if he thinks she's going to be sitting alone in her Section 8 motel like a prim little virgin waiting for the big day. We all know that ain't happening. 

It's going to be Mo/Dani all over again. Azan will bolt as soon as he's able. And if she has a trap baby with him, he'll do it anyway. I don't foresee his family coming over here any time soon either. I remember when Alexei and Loren found out bringing his family over takes years, Azan's family will be in the same boat. 

I think it's pronounced "Ah-Zahn". Stupid cow can't even pronounce his name right. 

Father Nicole has not heard of the Ramadan excuse.  No need for two separate apartments.  There will be no action in the Section 8 apartment if Azan takes a cue from Mahammit.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Desert Rat said:

Father Nicole has not heard of the Ramadan excuse.  No need for two separate apartments.  There will be no action in the Section 8 apartment if Azan takes a cue from Mahammit.

It will be Ramadan all day, every day.  Just as it was with Mahammit, so shall it be.  World without end. Amen.

• Love 12

Can you imagine being Mother Nicole?   It's gotta be God's Ultimate punishment.   That poor lady has the look of someone who has cried herself dry over her daughter's stupidity.

Edited by AmyBre
typo
  • Love 14
54 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

You know, I just realized that he may not be a chump in demanding that Nicole and Azan not live together before they're married. It may be a very clever way of preventing Nicole from importing Azan. It might turn out that her father is secretly a genius.

Nicole is going to be leaving no stone unturned in her efforts to make sure she comes home from Morocco pregnant. It'll be too late for Papa Nicole's clever plan.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Nicole is going to be leaving no stone unturned in her efforts to make sure she comes home from Morocco pregnant. It'll be too late for Papa Nicole's clever plan.

Christ. I had not considered this. Does her having his baby automatically grant him the ability to immigrate legally? Or do you think the plan is she'll get pregnant, her father will now insist they marry? Hopefully Azan has enough smarts to wrap it up! He needs to take a cue from Ice Cube's lyrics in the song below: "You can get dick, but you can't get no DNA"

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Quof said:

2. When Elizabeth says "Awn-drrrrray", does anyone else hear "Awn-drea Zuckerman?"

I can't stand the way she pronounces his name! And it's probably exactly how it is supposed to be pronounced and yet it really bugs me!

I also think Elizabeth hasn't gained any weight since those photos that look nothing like her.  I think she just manipulated the photos to make her appear thinner facially.  And her eyeliner isn't fucked up.

• Love 1

For a US Citizen to sponsor and bring his parents over, it takes one (1) year from application submitted to greeting them at the airport.    Siblings take approx 12 years.

In theory, Azan can become a citizen 3 years of being married to a citizen (Nicole) and bring his family over.   The many factors and challenges of this make it almost impossible.  For starters, his main challenge to stay in an unhappy marriage with someone with the IQ of a 7-year old.  Someone with no emotional intelligence, no empathy, no ambition to get ahead in life.  Someone manipulative and ultimately, NOT pleasant or physically healthy, much less attractive.    As a person, Nicole brings very little to a relationship, as a woman, nothing from what we have seen.   Nicole has a toddler and toddlers require lots of work.   Azan can apply himself and try to be a father figure to Mae, or he can just bolt, Muhammed style.  To approve his 3-year Citizenship based on marriage to a citizen, they need to file taxes together.  They need to live together and be on a mortgage or rental lease.  They need bank accounts together and show a history of involvement in each other's lives.   I doubt Nicole has A bank account.

The other challenge for him will be to have an income above 25K per year in order to qualify for the required affidavit for the I-864 to sponsor his family.   If Azan is smart, he can do it.   I hope for his sake that he is able to pull through and help his family move out of abject poverty.  If Azan is smart, he will learn a trade or educate himself in order to start working as soon as he lands in Florida.   His relationship with Nicole will ultimately fizzle and break apart, so he should make plans to be independent from the minute he lands at the airport.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, MrSmith said:

Christ. I had not considered this. Does her having his baby automatically grant him the ability to immigrate legally? Or do you think the plan is she'll get pregnant, her father will now insist they marry? Hopefully Azan has enough smarts to wrap it up! He needs to take a cue from Ice Cube's lyrics in the song below: "You can get dick, but you can't get no DNA"

I think Azan had sex with her once, was repulsed, and decided he's a devout Muslim from now on and won't touch her for as long as he can avoid it.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Christ. I had not considered this. Does her having his baby automatically grant him the ability to immigrate legally? Or do you think the plan is she'll get pregnant, her father will now insist they marry? 

Having children does not automatically grant Azan the ability to become a legal resident.   Children get automatic citizenship from their parents, but not the other way around.   But Azan must be sponsored and at that interview, their child becomes a factor only if he has been involved in the life of the child.  He will need to show Skype logs, receipts of money or gifts sent and that sort of proof to authenticate.

Suppose Azan impregnates Nicole while she's visiting Morocco (which according to him he can't do until they are married).  Suppose Nicole returns to the States and has Azan Jr. and decides NOT to return for him or get married at all.   It's a scary thought, but you and I will be supporting Azan Jr.

If Azan is smart, he will NOT sleep with Nicole until he is on US soil.   If he is truly smart, he won't have sex until they are officially married.   Something tells me Azan is not that smart/cunning.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Drogo said:

Oh Molly...  I'm gonna hate you, aren't I?

Most definitely...

1 minute ago, AmyBre said:

If Azan is smart, he will NOT sleep with Nicole until he is on US soil.   If he is truly smart, he won't have sex until they are officially married.

They've had sex already...

2 minutes ago, AmyBre said:

Kelly, how do you know this?   Have they discussed it in the series or are you just inferring? 

From the first season of Nicole/Azan.  She proudly announced it in one of their talking head 'interviews' after she had arrived in Morocco.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Kelly said:

From the first season of Nicole/Azan.  She proudly announced it in one of their talking head 'interviews' after she had arrived in Morocco.

And they also got their "Midnight at the Oasis" moment on a trip at night to the desert.  We know it happened at least twice.

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Kelly said:

And IIRC, Azan couldn't have been more embarrassed if he tried.  Had a look of a lamb being led to slaughter more than being excited to have sex with that thing. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, meandyouzz said:

The amount of dowry and gold Annie is asking for is ridiculous--my Thai wife had a good laugh at that. The dowry is based on what the woman offers the man, not on the man's wealth. If the woman is educated, from a wealthy family or a beauty queen, the dowry is high. But Annie is poor and uneducated, so her parents can't ask for much. My wife was a public school teacher when we got engaged and her family asked for 100,000 baht but the money was returned after the wedding-- it was just symbolic. Many parents return the money.

Annie is trying to get as much out of David as she can. I think she will then split and look for another sucker.

Annie is a bar girl, the worst type to marry (or try to marry). You can take the girl out of the bar, but you can't take the bar out of the girl.

Thank you for explaining this for us stateside. The previews show Annie losing her shit over David's reluctance or refusal to buy a water buffalo for her family.  It sounds comical at first (since one often thinks about bridal registry gifts...nobody registers for a water buffalo, right? ) Until one realizes the premium on the value of livestock in some parts of the world, then I hope she gets her wish. 

I remember watching a National Geographic about an African man, so besotted by his fiancée's beauty and worth that he wanted to pay more than the asking bride price by several head of cattle than what her father requested.  "Oh, you are worth 200 cows!", is not really anything a Western woman would find flattering, particularly this Texas girl, or any Midwestern girl, either.  But in some parts of the world where livestock literally equates to food security and wealth, it's probably a huge compliment.

This  tells me Annie's family is very poor and lives in a rural area where they would benefit from having a water buffalo for their farm or to increase their social status. 

David probably knows the bride price is largely symbolic if the families can afford to do without it, but he knows he's going to be out how ever many baht it takes to buy a water buffalo.  It might be cheaper than what he was prepared to pay, but I don't know.  Annie obviously loves her family, so she's going to get them something to secure their farm. Sorry dude, you've got to pay to play.  Annie, make sure you get something for your family out of this!

• Love 2