Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

On October 16, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Inga said:

Is it me, or does her mom look really familiar? I could swear she’s a commercial actress-(which could explain the big house). Something like allergy/ sinus commercials? I can’t figure it out. And do people really wear aprons? 

Model # 09375 from the stepford wives factory? Pretty sure that unit comes with an apron as well...

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

You’re in rare form today!

I will take that as a compliment.  Unfortunately I'm only in a semi-solid form today, but as long as even one finger still works I will tap away. . . .

• Love 1

I think Evelyn and her family are scamming David to come to America, presumably to join their family, but on the night he arrives they will drive him somewhere deep into the dark backwoods of New Hampshire, build a big fire and roast him over a spit.   As they pick the meat from his bones they will smile knowingly at one another and say "The Lord provides ..."

• Love 13
8 hours ago, millennium said:

I think Evelyn and her family are scamming David to come to America, presumably to join their family, but on the night he arrives they will drive him somewhere deep into the dark backwoods of New Hampshire, build a big fire and roast him over a spit.   As they pick the meat from his bones they will smile knowingly at one another and say "The Lord provides ..."

But first they will teach him the American custom of taking out a large life insurance policy with his fiancee as the sole beneficiary.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, millennium said:

That  visual before my morning coffee was disturbing. Deeply, deeply disturbing.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 10:06 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

''I’m not trying to be Judgy McJudgerson, but:  Evelyn seems like a sweet girl (by the standards set on this show), but her family creeps me out a little.  Her parents are a little too cool with her marrying a stranger at 18, and her bro is odd with his intensity about breaking up the band.  Also….does her family all look approximately the same age?!   Her parents look very young.  I’m with most of you:  She seems in lust, and like a 16 year old in love with Justin Timberlake (“have you ever been in LUUUVVV before, ya dumb bitch?”); she’s into the idea of this man and being in wuv, but does she really understand marriage?  I’m with McKayla’s sensible thoughts, and I feel like Evelyn has spent much of their friendship being a bitch to McKayla.  If she just got her rocks off, maybe she’d think about this sketchy marriage a bit more clearly.  “God is going to provide us…” is the weirdest game plan to me.  But, I’m a heathen, so WTF do I know?  And since I’m already on the bitch train:  Imma need Evelyn to never sing at me again; she sounds like a dying cat.

Im right there with you. Evelyn's family really does look like they could all be a similar age (within 10-12 years) and her father looks like he could be her older brother. I calculated that the parents are around late 30's or so from the timeline Evelyn gave. I was really surprised as well to see parents just giving in to to an 18 year old deciding to get married to a strange 27 yr old from across the world, and being so complacent about it, like they were so trusting of her judgment. It s strange. I also thought it interesting that Evelyn wanted to take a break from "gigs" for a few months to focus on wedding planning. Has wedding planning become a 9-5 kind of job ? Ive planned one before, it was only a few appointments and a few hours of online research. 

• Love 6

Bottom line, and I know it sounds crass, is that she wants to get laid as soon as she can.  Once he arrives, she’s got 90 days to pull this off, not like she has 6 months or a year.  I’m not sure she’s that much in demand, but more like Paola (from a previous series) and  her so called modeling cuh -reeeer.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2017 at 9:07 AM, Kangatush said:

And this has been bugging me, a dowry is something paid TO the groom/groom's family.  A bride price is something paid FROM the groom.

Thank you.  I yell at the TV every time Tweedledum says dowry.

• Love 2

I also never know what to make of it when I hear 18 year olds, who haven't even lived away from home yet, saying that they are virgins. I remember my sophomore year in HS there were girls who wore promise rings that read "True Love Waits." and were pretty smug about their virginity. At 16 years old. Keep in mind, that high school is also the time where if a girl has sex with her boyfriend for te first time over the weekend, half the school hears about it by Monday and gossips about it. 

If a girl is over 21 and still a virgin, then then I would give it some weight, A teenager's virginity has no meaning. Not to mention, Evelyn is from a very small town. It's easier to hold onto virginity in nowhere, New Hampshire than a big metropolitan area. 

Edited by Matias130
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Matias130 said:

If a girl is over 21 and still a virgin, then then I would give it some weight, A teenager's virginity has no meaning. Not to mention, Evelyn is from a very small town. It's easier to hold onto virginity in nowhere, New Hampshire than a big metropolitan area. 

Exactly.  She can crow about her purity when she’s 26 or 27 like her fiancé. If you still live with your parents and come from a devoutly Christian home, it’s easier to be a virgin under those circumstances than gong away to college or living on your own.

There’s  Lolo Jones who at one time couldn’t shut up about it, though it was quite an accomplishment for her because she’s very pretty.  On the TLC program about very tall people, there’s a very pretty 36 yo Lady who wants to wait for marriage.  I give her and Lolo more chops than Evelyn for waiting.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Cranky One said:

Nicole: Azan, my dad said he sponsor you!

Azan: That's great... (while thinking oh, shit)

Yeah it was pretty clear he was not all that excited at the prospect of coming to the US to be with Nicole. And gee, didn't she look so happy to spend time with her daughter once Azan said they couldn't stay in the same room?

Evelyn and her family are so smug.

• Love 22

Nicole was pouting when azan said they couldnt  share a hotel room. Where was May supposed to stay while Nicole and Azan were doing the nasty? I also thought it was telling that May had a mini freak out when Nicole walked toward the door. She probably sees that a lot. 

Dude from Arizona buys himself a living anime doll. Folks on Reddit are commenting on Josh's friend with the alt right haircut lol

Why is Evelyn wearing a bathing suit top to the airport? Weird clothing choice. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 18
6 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Dude from Arizona buys himself a living anime doll. Folks on Reddit are commenting on Josh's friend with the alt right haircut

I was just rolling my eyes at his haircut too.  Not only does that haircut have bad historical connotations, it is incredibly unflattering to everyone who gets it.  why do men insist on getting their hair cut like that???

• Love 6

Someone else on another thread mentioned Molly looks like Teen Mom Amber, but I think more so if Teen Mom Amber and Darcey had a baby, it would be Molly.  Shrieky voice and hair that really just needs to be chopped, and kids with more smarts than their parents. Combined.  

Arizona Guy looks like he has serious anger issues.  IDK what makes me say that.  It's a vibe I'm getting from him.  We shall see.  I don't really want to, he's just as uninteresting as everyone else.  I'm here for the Nicole/Azan Shitshow. 

• Love 16

Speaking of hair I’m kind of annoyed that he doesn’t seem like Molly is taking proper care of her youngest child’s hair.   Super curly hair like that needs a lot of moisture and it’s fragile.  My niece is biracial has the same kind of hair.  My sister has to be very careful how she styles it and what products she uses on it. Molly makes me sad because her youngest daughter is such a beautiful little girl and she deserves better. 

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Cranky One said:

Olivia is the only one who has any common sense on this show. She may be a little bratty,  but I think she has every right to be.

She's this year's Elise.  

Seriously. Did anyone see the eye roll when Luis mentioned his 'chubby' wife.

Nicole and Azan grate on my nerves.  Would he just kill the relationship.

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Folks on Reddit are commenting on Josh's friend with the alt right haircut lol

Take it from me in Phoenix: Mesa, AZ, is LOADED with guys like this.  The haircut, the politics, etc.  I am just surprised that they weren't more supportive of him going abroad to find a woman that isn't a "Murican Feminazi."

• Love 11

So special snowflake Evelyn’s driving isn’t. “The best”. 

The ethereal smile she had while driving is like the cat who had the cream AND the mouse. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Love 8

Elizabeth, Andrei is not likely to change, even if he does move to the US.  You are mistaking love for codependency. Listen to your friends and ensure you have a good support system. You may need it.

Evelyn, you are living in rom com land. You still have miles to go where love is concerned. Spend time growing and exploring life before settling down. Starter marriage land. Unless the poor guy is trapped for many years. And what were you wearing to the airport? Your dude is going to live with the pastor? 

Didn't pay attention to Arizona guy.

Molly, be wary of Luis.  You have your daughters to think about. 

Nicole, you are on Azan's turf. His country, his rules. However, him yelling at you is not acceptable.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Okay, I have spent time in Moldova (and all over eastern Europe) and they most certainly HAVE entered the modern age. Andrei is just an ass.

Thank you for clearing that up. I have a hard time believing that Moldova is an outlier in terms of women's rights. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Thank you for clearing that up. I have a hard time believing that Moldova is an outlier in terms of women's rights. 

I mean, there are some cultural differences for sure but, as a whole, the country is not full of oppressive, misogynistic men looking to browbeat their submissive Donna Reed wives. Moldovan women go out on girls' nights. In fact, I have been out with groups several times and the chicks I knew were fun, feminine, feisty independent ladies who enjoyed drinking and dancing as much as anyone

• Love 5

Maybe the state has graduated drivers' licenses and you get yours in steps - you can do A and B, but not C.

When I grew up, the test of being ready for marriage was slicing a straight slice of bread.  I still struggle.

Why does this David dude at 27 want an 18 year old girl?

• Love 5

I thought the arizona guy's gay friend was awesome.  Finally we don't have a 4th wall....just some dude who looks like he was planted from the Bravo channel to blurt out the obvious, complete with eye rolls and WTF facial expressions.  Genius.

Is it a "girl's night" out if it's your sisters and sisters in law?  Yikes.  And when did being submissive become a badge of honor?

The fundie warbler is my favorite storyline.   This is the storyline that seems the least likely or necessary to be producer driven or manipulated.   The editing already setting this up to be a huge comeuppance for her smug ass.  She can pray that God will provide her with all the answers but the reality is that she is finally going to snap when he starts telling her "no" and she can't stomp her feet to get her way.   Bad news for us is that the despair might make her write a song and then we will have to listen to her coffeehouse that stranglesong.

• Love 21

Do we think Josh told Aika that she is coming to America to live with all of his roommates?  And I shuddered when he called her a "trophy."  And then again when he said he had a thing for asian girls.   And then again when he said he only spent 5 days with her before he proposed.   And then again when SHE said the only way they could be together was that pesky K1visa.  I feel cold.  I need a hug.

As a total aside, let's play the 90 day (all franchises) game of people referring to each other as "baby."   Is this a thing or a new thing?  How do so many people fall into this monikering?  I don't know a single person who refers to their spouse or GFBF as "baby."    Unless it was part of an exaggerated joke or story.

• Love 21
On 10/8/2017 at 10:07 PM, hawkhd said:

Molly's voice grates. 

Nikki's eye rolls are everything.

I'm from the same state she's in, and her voice grates on my nerves!

side note : Her accent isn't the "typical" GA accent. It varies, of course, but GA is usually smoother, lilting, less twangy. Hers IS typical for certain areas. Woodstock is not far from TN, so that's a big part of her accent. All of that said, it's not the  accent, it's her actual voice--there is something highly irritating about it... though I suppose she can't help her voice. 

I wish I'd been able to watch the episodes as they aired. Y'alls snark is so far ahead of mine!

3 hours ago, hawkhd said:

Wtf is Evelyn wearing? 

Arizona guy has some sick pit stains 

Hey, cut Josh some slack on the pit stains. 110 or higher is common summer temps in Mesa, AZ.   We who live in the super hot desert don't judge sweat. 

• Love 6

Aika might be more transparent than Anifsa, she brings up the K-1 and even reminds him that he is her provider.

How weird was it that the showed the Logan Airport sign and than blurred it in the middle of the shot when Evelyn picked up David.

David is straight up delusional if he thinks she is movingf away from her family.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Arizona Guy looks like he has serious anger issues.  IDK what makes me say that.  It's a vibe I'm getting from him.  We shall see.  I don't really want to, he's just as uninteresting as everyone else.  I'm here for the Nicole/Azan Shitshow. 

My husband's reaction when he saw the AZ guy, "what's his last name.  I'm want to look up his criminal record." You just know he has a record. Could that be why the kids won't see him?

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Take it from me in Phoenix: Mesa, AZ, is LOADED with guys like this.  The haircut, the politics, etc.  I am just surprised that they weren't more supportive of him going abroad to find a woman that isn't a "Murican Feminazi."

Josh fits right in in Mesa, AZ.  Not everyone, but the majority in Mesa are Mormon or Josh types. 

• Love 4

Elizabeth is a desperate and basic idiot. How many times did she say submissive? I feel sorry for her friends who will have to pick up the pieces and listen to her whine when she tires of being a submissive and subservient woman. She's making a conscious desicion and effort to import a man who feels that men need to supervise grown women and expects a woman to be "the way a woman was in the 1900s." (whatever that means). I think Elizabeth wants and needs to be someone's little girl, and I rolled my eyes when she said that "every woman that finds their man will be submissive." No, you dumb bitch, not every woman. 

• Love 21
32 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Josh fits right in in Mesa, AZ.  Not everyone, but the majority in Mesa are Mormon or Josh types. 

Yes indeedy.  You're obviously familiar with the place ;-)

Were they having drinks at the Mesa airport?  

• Love 1