Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got FJ as I knew Balboa was the first European to discover the Pacific Ocean in what would become Panama.

5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got machine gun, Pius, and Nutcracker. I also said Richard the Lion Hearted, so I guess I actually got that wrong unless I could correct myself before Alex finished saying, "NO!"

Got those too. That's a translation from Coeur de Lion and I've heard and seen it both ways. You probably would have gotten credit for it. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I don't remember Ryan. Praying he wasn't annoying... Wait, he's not the puppy abandoner, is he??

Oh boy. He was indeed. Go back in this thread to Jan. 31. Maybe this link will work, and maybe not.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, teebax said:

So the answer to my question is, yes dumbass, you've been misspelling it your whole life! 

I learned how to spell it by being in a play - it was drilled into me by the director who corrected my pronunciation (momento) over and over again. I have a knee jerk inclination to correct the pronunciation (in my head, usually, but as I get older and my filters fray, who knows)

11 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

FJ was either Magellan or Balboa.  I guess Cortez was OK.  Jolliet?

I have always been crap when it comes to explorers. I knew the location - so I grabbed Cortez out of the air but knew it was wrong.

• Love 3

A couple of things bothered me from yesterday's game.  The woman on the right who insisted on saying the entire name of the "Double Letter State Capitals" when it was the only category left and they were running out of time for the round.  And when they came to Michelle in FJ, knowing she had the wrong answer, she pointed her thumb over to the guy in the middle, which made me think she was saying "Nope, he's got it because I'm wrong." I don't know what she was trying to indicate with that point.

I did think it was funny when Michelle did reveal she got it wrong and Alex said something like, "Let's see how much you lost.  Not enough."  Which kind of made it sound like he was rooting for the middle guy.

• Love 4

I was rooting for Niraj & disappointed that he did not hear me shouting Nutcracker. Other TS I got were boot camp, machine gun, WPA, Booker T. Washington, Pope Pius. It took a second for us to remember who discovered both the Atlantic & the Pacific, but got Balboa in time. 

Michelle should have been ruled incorrect for changing her Tom's CruiseS response; Alex had already said "no".

Glad Vincent will be brought back; how odd that the screen showed on TV & the screen shown to the contestants were different. 

19 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I don't remember Ryan. Praying he wasn't annoying... Wait, he's not the puppy abandoner, is he??

I googled as soon as I read the name & gasped out loud when I saw his picture. It is him indeed. 

5 hours ago, Zeldam said:

Maybe I didn't hear it correctly even after rewinding a few times, but it sounded like Michelle said Arch Deco instead of Art Deco. 

To me it sounded like ArtS Deco, which I have no idea if used or not. Not that it seems to matter when it comes to her responses. 

2 hours ago, SHD said:

And when they came to Michelle in FJ, knowing she had the wrong answer, she pointed her thumb over to the guy in the middle, which made me think she was saying "Nope, he's got it because I'm wrong." I don't know what she was trying to indicate with that point.

Based on her FJ wagers that make no sense, but nevertheless keep saving her ass, we know she can't do math. She probably thought Niraj won. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Glad Vincent will be brought back; how odd that the screen showed on TV & the screen shown to the contestants were different. 

I'm just assuming someone couldn't figure out the aspect ratio on the monitor (pet peeve), and the "t" was cut off from "this".

• Love 5

I re-read the comments from January, and Ryan was not overly impressive then, so he may well be a one and done this time around. *Whisper* I don't hate him for the puppy story.

I wish Alex would not try to do impressions when Presidential quotes come up. His Nixon is especially annoying. It sounded like he slipped a bit of a Southern accent into "Our long national nightmare is over," which may have led to the incorrect guess of Carter.

• Love 13
(edited)

Easy Final Jeopardy.

Michelle played with fire and she got burned today with her wagering and it cost her a spot in the TOC.

Congrats to Ryan on coming back and getting his 5th win he is now a lock for the next TOC.

Edited by SuperCam1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, SHD said:

The woman on the right who insisted on saying the entire name of the "Double Letter State Capitals" when it was the only category left and they were running out of time for the round. 

This!  It drives me nuts.  Just say the damn dollar amount.

Bye, bye, MEchelle!  Can't say I'll miss you.

However..........

Ryan, you suck!  Get off my tv, posthaste, puppy abandoner.

Ugh, so disgusted.

I got Arie Luyendyk and the death penalty.  FJ was an instaget.

I'm now going to go hug my puppy, so I can lower my blood pressure.  

• Love 11
(edited)

Well, Michelle deserved to lose with her stupid FJ wagering. Ryan was a previous champion, she should have figured he would be good. You can't count on a hard FJ. Not too many TS's tonight, but I did get "Zed."

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 10
(edited)

I about fell off my chair at the TS of Arie Luyendyk (Junior, IB60!) since I spend Monday nights in the PTV Bachelor/Bachelorette thread where we have a blast live posting as the episode airs. It's the most fun.

In my defense, I've never seen nor will I ever see an episode of Real Housewives, although I knew that answer was Beverly Hills. Because pop culture. It's surreal that these players knew Real Housewives but not The Bachelor. Go figure.

The Bay of Pigs was a DD. Really? Maybe the clue writers figured it was Before Their Time.

Trebek doing presidential accents made me want to reach through my tv screen and choke him silent.

Speaking of Trebek's impressions, his Hannibal Lector, complete with the lip/tongue sexual innuendo for what Lector wanted to do to Jodie Foster's private parts, was gross beyond words. I wish I had never heard that, but I did. And can't unhear it.

Why did the answer "No Name" make Michelle giggle, like it was something funny. WTH.

Robin Cook was an easy TS get. Probably because I've read his books.

At least Michelle is gone. Now to get rid of that dickweed Ryan.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 14

That. Little. Twerp.

Now I remember that smug expression, and he is in fact the puppy killer. Please God let him be a one and done.

I won't even try to understand Michelle's wager. I was beginning to like her but then she left us with... him.

I was expecting someone named Bunny Miller to be a lot more fun!

No TS for me but FJ was an instaget.

• Love 10
54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Why did the answer "No Name" make Michelle giggle, like it was something funny. WTH.

Maybe because Ryan thought "name brand" was alliterative?  Though that made me roll my eyes, not laugh.

I'd rather have Michelle than Ryan, but alas, her inexplicable wagering did her in. 

FJ was one of those for me that came so quickly that I thought I must be wrong.  I was surprised to find that I was correct!  I didn't write down any TS, though.

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I believe because it was an easy answer for her because it was about a Canadian store and she is Canadian.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

rather have Michelle than Ryan, but alas, her inexplicable wagering did her in. 

Her inexplicable wagers helped her win the first time and I believe another time.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, clubsauce said:

Ryan’s salute at the end was so cringey. I’ve never seen someone do one with such over the top flourish, making him look simultaneously smug and dorky. So slappable.

I'm OK with dorky. I am NOT OK with smug, though.

• Love 7

Michelle didn't bother me as she did so many here (except for the FJ wagering which was a little nutty throughout).  I did like her attitude tonight that win, lose or draw, she had achieved a bucket list item.  Although as soon as she said it, I felt the curse of Jeopardy descending upon her.  At least she will have advantage of the exchange rate on her winnings.

I knew that something had bothered me about Ryan but I forgot it was the puppy story.  He can go away any time now.  

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I believe because it was an easy answer for her because it was about a Canadian store and she is Canadian.

For me, it's also that while generics are often referred to as some no name brand, the term "No Name" itself is a specific brand. 

56 minutes ago, opus said:

As Ryan was telling his interview story, all I could think was, "Yeah, he definitely got fired....."

Totally. He needed a better explanation for the career change. As he's a student, a fairly obvious answer is that you wanted to learn more about something you are truly passionate about and now have the opportunity to do so. Then again, this is the same guy who admitted to abandoning a puppy. He has no idea how he comes across on TV.  

Got Baghdad too. Bunny was going for Tehran then re-read the clue. I knew Michelle's weak betting was going to get her. She had been quite fortunate. You would think that after realizing she could have lost twice (Joanna's The Hunt For Red October and the Carl Sagan debacle by Vincent) by not wagering enough, she would have adopted the conventional strategy of betting against the all-in. 

29 minutes ago, burner said:

Ok what was the puppy story?

This. Go 6 minutes in. 

Edited by DrScottie
Added the video for extra smug
  • Love 6

Re "No Name" brand ... there was a 1980s movie called "Repo Man."  Unlike many movies and TV shows, it did not feature familiar products, but used generic ones with black and white labels.  At one point a character was eating out of a can labeled only FOOD.

• Love 6

Michelle's idiotic FJ wagering finally bites her in the butt, only to stick us with puppy abandoner Ryan. I was rooting hard for Bunny.

TS I got were Ari (I did not know his last name so probably would not have been ruled correct), death penalty, Robin Cook. FJ was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush but I had no idea. Seems obvious now. 

Was Loblaw's Markets founded by Bob? ;-)

4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I wish Alex would not try to do impressions when Presidential quotes come up. His Nixon is especially annoying. It sounded like he slipped a bit of a Southern accent into "Our long national nightmare is over," which may have led to the incorrect guess of Carter.

Since it was Ryan I was glad, but then he won anyway. But yes, the impressions were horrid. 

4 hours ago, lb60 said:

I'm now going to go hug my puppy, so I can lower my blood pressure.  

Hug him/her for me too! 

• Love 8

I didn't understand the category title "Why Do I Know This?" I thought it was going to be odd trivia, but all the questions were about reality programs. Maybe it would've been better titled "I'm Ashamed That I Know This".

• Love 15
On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, Scott said:

Technically this probably ought to be in the media thread, but I thought it was worthy of inclusion here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/tv/ct-ent-jeopardy-vincent-valenzuela-20180716-story.html

I'm guessing the set has changed significantly since 2008 when I was on?  Because then, we all saw one screen, on the big board.

On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

I thought he was, but am not sure.  Still he's annoying as hell.  What clue was allegedly confusing for him?

On ‎07‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Moose135 said:

I said Cortez right away, then thought "Maybe Magellan..."

I got Balboa, although I'm not entirely sure how.

12 hours ago, lb60 said:

I got Arie Luyendyk

I had "that Arie guy" - given how crappy the judging has been, they probably would've given me that one.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's surreal that these players knew Real Housewives but not The Bachelor. Go figure.

Maybe, like me, they couldn't remember his last name.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There are always tons of stray dogs around the ruins, varying ages, some climb up some do not. I bet the dog in question is fine.

Maybe so, but that was a terrible story to tell on tv where people like us will judge you for it.

• Love 11

Can we stop with the "Ryan is a puppy killer?"  He did not kill the puppy.  The puppy was in no immediate danger.  He was on vacation.  What was he supposed to do?  Bring it down and leave it?    I had no clue as to FJ!  I couldn't even understand the question.

• Love 11
(edited)
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There are always tons of stray dogs around the ruins, varying ages, some climb up some do not. I bet the dog in question is fine.

I want to believe that wholeheartedly. Still I would never have abandoned a puppy especially knowing it had no food and water where it was. Not to mention exposure to the sun and heat. Nope. I refuse to root for him. I turned to my friend and said “Watch Michelle lose due to stupid betting”. Ugh...

I got Death penalty (capital punishment), all three DD’s and Cook. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Watch not what.
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Those were incredibly cringeworthy. Stop Alex. For the love of God, please stop.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I about fell off my chair at the TS of Arie Luyendyk (Junior, IB60!) since I spend Monday nights in the PTV Bachelor/Bachelorette thread where we have a blast live posting as the episode airs. It's the most fun.

Speaking of Trebek's impressions, his Hannibal Lector, complete with the lip/tongue sexual innuendo for what Lector wanted to do to Jodie Foster's private parts, was gross beyond words. I wish I had never heard that, but I did. And can't unhear it.

I had no clue who Arie was.

Oh God, the Hannibal Lecter - hated it in the movie, and Alex doing it just puts another vomit worthy spin on it.

The puppy may well have had an owner who was up higher on the steps, and taking it down might not be the wisest course of action. Both the owner (if there was one, we do not know), and the police might have a different spin on the "rescue." The  things we'd do without a thought as Americans could well land you in jail in a foreign country.. So I, personally, think what's his face did nothing wrong. Now, if the puppy was showing evidence of starvation or other signs that he was likely to die, that would be different. Just being there isn't a sign of imminent death, imo.

• Love 8

I'm just assuming someone couldn't figure out the aspect ratio on the monitor (pet peeve), and the "t" was cut off from "this".

That makes a lot of sense.  I couldn't figure out why he was the only one that saw "his" and the other two saw "this". 

• Love 4

Okay, I was glad to see Michelle go last night.  The way she answered each clue with a questioning tone in her voice just grated on me.  It was almost like false humility-like she was saying "I know the answer but I want everyone to think I don't think I'm smart so I'll make every response sound like I don't think I know the answer."  Ugh!

Alex's accents were horrendous.

Bunny was waaayyy too slow for me--in responding and choosing.  She was just "vanilla" and, frankly, boring.

I'm glad Ryan won!  

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Her laughing answer struck me as smug.  She seemed to be laughing that Ryan got it wrong so she could have the right to answer.  She is Canadian, after all.  #eyeroll

• Love 7
(edited)
10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

For reasons unknown, that is a joke in the Trey household.

I'm sorry to see Michelle go - I wasn't crazy about her "I hope, I hope, I hope this answer is correct" schtick but otherwise I liked her very well.  I knew her weak FJ wagering skills would do her in.

I liked Bunny too, detest Ryan. Now he's smug.

Two ts's for me, Z and Robin Cook.  DH got FJ right away so I didn't have to think about it.

eta:

No Name did not come to mind with regard to Loblaw's but William Shatner saying "But by gosh, the price is right" did. Please tell me someone else remembers those commercials.

I remember WS did those commercials but I can't say I really remember them - I must have seen them because they were certainly not before my time, just not finding them in my memory bank. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 9

No Name did not come to mind with regard to Loblaw's but William Shatner saying "But by gosh, the price is right" did. Please tell me someone else remembers those commercials.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The puppy may well have had an owner who was up higher on the steps, and taking it down might not be the wisest course of action. Both the owner (if there was one, we do not know), and the police might have a different spin on the "rescue." The  things we'd do without a thought as Americans could well land you in jail in a foreign country.. So I, personally, think what's his face did nothing wrong. Now, if the puppy was showing evidence of starvation or other signs that he was likely to die, that would be different. Just being there isn't a sign of imminent death, imo.

All of this may indeed be true, but the way Ryan told the story made him sound like an ass at best.  It was a terrible story to tell the way he told it.

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

All of this may indeed be true, but the way Ryan told the story made him sound like an ass at best.  It was a terrible story to tell the way he told it.

Since the actual story didn't make much of an impression on me until I got to the furor on the forum, I will take your word for it. I rarely remember the details of any contestant.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were Ari (I did not know his last name so probably would not have been ruled correct),

Toothbrush, you would have been correct. The Bachelor uses first names only, and if there are two contestants with the same name, they are Ashley I. and Ashley Y. In fact, Ashley I kept appearing on subsequent shows and is now commonly known as Ashley I, even when she's the only Ashley. Ari was so popular as a Bachelorette contestant, he was brought back last season as The Bachelor. (And I was tempted to apply!)

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I'll take that bet. Dogs will go up steps, not down. Go back to our original discussion about the subject in this thread and read my posts about it there. I'm not getting into it again. Bottom line is, I work with dogs professionally, have for decades and still do. I know a bit more about dog behavior than jackass dickweek Ryan. I hope someone with compassion carried the puppy down those steps. Because if not, there is a little rotting dog carcass up there. Bones by now. But some people don't give a care about dogs or any animals, just themselves.

3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

What was he supposed to do?  Bring it down and leave it? 

Yes.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I had "that Arie guy" - given how crappy the judging has been, they probably would've given me that one.

You would have gotten the $ with "Who is that Ari guy." It's the perfect (and correct) answer!

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

100 percent disagree with this. Make that 1,000 percent disagree. For so many reasons.

I listen to WGN Chicago radio. Early this morning I went out to do some morning chores and when I came back in, an interview with Vincent, who lives just west of Chicago, was just finishing up. It was about him being invited back to Jeopardy after his Carl Sagan FJ. The show host got in some jabs about Carl Sagan and Vincent's four-letter-word fame before Vincent signed off. I need to see if I can find that on this morning's podcast to see what Vincent had to say.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought he was doing Lyndon Johnson. But, heck, not only should he stop the accents because they're sometimes terrible, but they also CAN provide an additional clue, which I just don't think is right.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

In my defense, I've never seen nor will I ever see an episode of Real Housewives, although I knew that answer was Beverly Hills. Because pop culture. It's surreal that these players knew Real Housewives but not The Bachelor. Go figure.

I've never seen either, but I knew Beverly Hills while not knowing the name of the bachelor, so I completely understand others being in the same boat. After all, one is part of the title of the show.

13 hours ago, Driad said:

Re "No Name" brand ... there was a 1980s movie called "Repo Man."  Unlike many movies and TV shows, it did not feature familiar products, but used generic ones with black and white labels.  At one point a character was eating out of a can labeled only FOOD.

I remember that. I wasn't aware of generic brands at the time, so I was really tickled by this. I recall them drinking BEER.

13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I was surprised to see that Loblaw isn't a name made up by the Arrested Development writers. Saying or hearing "Bob Loblaw" never fails to make me laugh.

The only TS I got was Z.

Mmmmm, Yorkshire pudding. My English mother made that regularly. Yum yum.

Getting Brahms from Brahmins belonged in a Stupid Questions category.

I couldn't remember Baghdad. 

I was rooting for Bunny. She didn't display much emotion or energy, but I didn't hold that against her.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Thanks. I had made a note of that too. I was WTH, just give the answer in the clue whydoncha.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Trey said:

For reasons unknown, that is a joke in the Trey household.

I got it from Arrested Development, and it always makes me laugh. I am easily amused. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Toothbrush, you would have been correct. The Bachelor uses first names only, and if there are two contestants with the same name, they are Ashley I. and Ashley Y. In fact, Ashley I kept appearing on subsequent shows and is now commonly known as Ashley I, even when she's the only Ashley. Ari was so popular as a Bachelorette contestant, he was brought back last season as The Bachelor. (And I was tempted to apply!)

I know him because he dumped Becca, who is evidently the current Bachelorette & one of her prospects is an overly tanned virgin. I watched way back in my pre-kids days, but I think Bob was my last bachelor. 

I was known as Toothbrush H. all through grammar school, and in high school had to use my full last name all the time because there was another Toothbrush H. in my grade. My mom still calls me Toothbrush H. sometimes to be silly, even though at this point I have had a different last initial for 4 years longer than the "original". 

Ryan is a dickweed and needs to go. I hate that we will see him in the ToC. 

21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was surprised to see that Loblaw isn't a name made up by the Arrested Development writers. Saying or hearing "Bob Loblaw" never fails to make me laugh.

I was rooting for Bunny. She didn't display much emotion or energy, but I didn't hold that against her.

Always makes me laugh too. 

Brahmins totally belongs in the Stupid Answers category! Were they the Beliebers of the 19th century?

I rooted for Bunny too, despite her low energy & 90s red leather jacket. 

9 minutes ago, rubaco said:

"... got him returned to us." Ha. Full details here.

Boo hiss for Matthew Sherman. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Jeopardy.com has this posted on its home page.

WTH show, it's not a freaking STREAK. The guy came back and won ONE game. Since when is that a streak?

This show. Makes me wonder what went on behind the scenes. You know, the real story. Lawsuit anyone? Which is why this joker doesn't have to work a real job any more? JMHO of course. YMMV.

dickweed.png

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8