Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Sean and Abby = These 2 names didn't combine very well (much like the couple), but since Chris is always coming in between them, I put a C between their names and got "Scabby" 

Perfect!! Love them all but this one especially.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Is that the French George Glass? 

yes, because MAGEMAUD is awesome  :)

2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think it is long past time that we came up with proper ship names for all the happy couples.

Here are my nominations:

1) Larry and Jenny =  Lenny - This one seems obvious.  Can I get a second?

2) Paul and Karine = Pauline (pronounced Pole-ee-knee of course)

3) Patrick and Miriam = Patriam has a nice ring to it.

4) Sean and Abby = These 2 names didn't combine very well (much like the couple), but since Chris is always coming in between them, I put a C between their names and got "Scabby"  

5) Courtney and Antonio = Corntonio, though Antney also works.

6) Darcey and Jesse = Honestly, I have been ignoring these two and had to look up their names but I guess Jercey is an appropriately uninteresting name for them.  

Any more suggestions?

These are surprisingly deep, not that Bryce isn't, but deep isn't usually something you can apply to the show unless followed by the word "delusion".

• Love 2
2 hours ago, magemaud said:

According to MY translation device, Miriam's boyfriend's name is "George Verre"

oui, mon amour

28 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

VERY impressive Brady Bunch reference ..in French no less!

I admit I borrowed that from a discussion about Danielle Jbali claiming to have a new boyfriend 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I don't know why, but the thing that bugs me the most about Patrick are the blonde ends of his hair. He has nice looking hair otherwise....but when I see the back I think "ew..dingleberries!"

Agree, his hair looks like what I would find in the litterbox if the cat got into something she shouldn't.  Too graphic!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Forum member said:

She looks like one of those rubber stress dolls where the eyes and tongue poke out when squeezed. 

Then let's hope CousinLarry knew what he was getting, because that could be one hell of a shock.  Might explain his generally cranky disposition.  

4 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Then let's hope CousinLarry knew what he was getting, because that could be one hell of a shock.  Might explain his generally cranky disposition.  

I've been working up the nerve to say what Elizabeth reminds me of...

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

4) Sean and Abby = These 2 names didn't combine very well (much like the couple), but since Chris is always coming in between them, I put a C between their names and got "Scabby"

I think we have a winner!

• Love 6
16 hours ago, EDTV said:

i don't get all the hate for Patrick... maybe he loves attention sure but he didn't come across as a bad guy.

Myriam is the one who had a BF and yet spent the weekend with another guy that she knew was into her. Then complained about HER feelings when she was playing two guys. I think maybe she liked talking to Patrick but didn't actually think he'd come to visit and she was kinda caught off guard when he did. But she too seemed to like his attention and I didn't get the sense from her that she was pushing him away. I think she enjoyed playing hard to get.

There is a French word for him. "kéké". The exact meaning of this word is ... Patrick. I can't  find a better translation. A Keke is a French guy who tries ridiculously to be Patrick. Of course it's derogatory.

I think Myriam  was trying to be polite saying he's a dream guy. If he were, she would date him. I myself would never ever date Patrick.

Myriam  has been very clear about the situation. Patrick noticed her on Instagram (which is obviously not a dating website) and they started a conversation. It turned to friendship . A romantic relationship was never in question and Patrick knew that (of course, this is not what he said to family and friends. He let them think they were in love ). Patrick informed her that he was traveling to Paris  just a few days before he got on the plane. She eventually said that she was perfectly fine in Paris and going nowhere.

And about something I read upthread, just because your name is Myriam doesn't mean you're Muslim. She said her father immigrated from Algeria but she was born in France and not into the tradition. She doesn't look nothing like a Muslim. First of all she wouldn't be on that show. You can't ever imagine what a disgrace it would be to her family. And if she really has a boyfriend I'm hundred percent sure it's a French and non Muslim guy. A real Muslim wouldn't marry someone like Myriam cause she's too westernized. The reason why she wouldn't date Patrick is definitely not religious.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:39 AM, millennium said:

Who knows if he ever divulged the name of the program -- 90 Day Fiance -- to Myriam?   Like Antonio, Myriam never gave the impression of knowing or understanding that the person visiting her was spouse-shopping.   Myriam felt put upon by the mere idea of Patrick wanting to date her.   Does anyone actually believe Myriam understood he was there to drag her back to America to get married?   I sure don't.

I can relate to this. My friend was on a TV show. When it was aired, the actual name of the program was totally different from what they said  when they were recording. This is how you can play negatively with someone's image.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bibi said:

She doesn't look nothing like a Muslim. First of all she wouldn't be on that show. You can't ever imagine what a disgrace it would be to her family. 

Doesn't look like a Muslim?  What do Muslims look like??

Edited by Sprockets
just wow
  • Love 17

Patrick said Myriam is Muslim in an earlier episode. I'm pretty sure she has said it as well. She may be more culturally Muslim rather than religiously devout and if so, that's her call. I don't know about any of y'all but I personally am not the Sharia police so I don't care how she performs her islamicness. 

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • Love 12
42 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Patrick said Myriam is Muslim in an earlier episode. I'm pretty sure she has said it as well. She may be more culturally Muslim rather than religiously devout and if so, that's her call. I don't know about any of y'all but I personally am not the Sharia police so I don't care how she performs her islamicness. 

Yes he said that several times in the first few episodes.  Before "she has a boyfriend?!" was the big deal, "she's Muslim and I'm not" was the thing Patrick was worried about, with respect to their "relationship."

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Bibi said:

She said her father immigrated from Algeria but she was born in France and not into the tradition. She doesn't look nothing like a Muslim. First of all she wouldn't be on that show. You can't ever imagine what a disgrace it would be to her family. And if she really has a boyfriend I'm hundred percent sure it's a French and non Muslim guy. A real Muslim wouldn't marry someone like Myriam cause she's too westernized. The reason why she wouldn't date Patrick is definitely not religious.

I'm not proud to admit it but I had the Extended Scenes episode on in the background the other day while I was working and I do remember hearing her say in a bonus scene that her boyfriend is Muslim and that it makes it easier for her family to accept him and it makes for an "easy life" for her. Can't imagine why this would make her life easier unless she was Muslim herself.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Bibi said:

Patrick informed her that he was traveling to Paris  just a few days before he got on the plane.

You've stated a lot of things as though they were facts . . . and unless you are Patrick, Myriam, or Patrick's mother, I'm not sure how you would know anything for sure.

One example is the sentence I quoted above.  The editing may have made it LOOK  this way, but we don't know this to be a fact.  And even if it were, let's say that Patrick talks to Myriam on Monday and says, "I'm coming to Paris on Thursday to meet you and spend time with you.  I'll be there for _____________ (length of time).  All Myriam has to say is, "I am Muslim; I have a boyfriend.  Do not come.  I will not spend time with you."

Many of us who watch reality shows have come to accept the strong arm of editing in what we see.  We learned that some of these 90-day couples are pretty much using the show as a means of getting publicity (Jesse and Darcey, Molly and Luis).  Even Patrick has been on several TV shows.  Being on TV is a lot more fun than having a real job.  I'm in the group who feels that Patrick and Myriam are also a set-up, but that's my opinion; I don't know that for a fact.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

You've stated a lot of things as though they were facts . . . and unless you are Patrick, Myriam, or Patrick's mother, I'm not sure how you would know anything for sure.

One example is the sentence I quoted above.  The editing may have made it LOOK  this way, but we don't know this to be a fact.  And even if it were, let's say that Patrick talks to Myriam on Monday and says, "I'm coming to Paris on Thursday to meet you and spend time with you.  I'll be there for _____________ (length of time).  All Myriam has to say is, "I am Muslim; I have a boyfriend.  Do not come.  I will not spend time with you."

Many of us who watch reality shows have come to accept the strong arm of editing in what we see.  We learned that some of these 90-day couples are pretty much using the show as a means of getting publicity (Jesse and Darcey, Molly and Luis).  Even Patrick has been on several TV shows.  Being on TV is a lot more fun than having a real job.  I'm in the group who feels that Patrick and Myriam are also a set-up, but that's my opinion; I don't know that for a fact.

Hey, stop ruining our reality show for us with all that reality! :-)

• Love 9
On 10/23/2017 at 8:28 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

The stuff his relatives are saying is true. Jenny is digging for gold, or, rather, for nickel. But, she doesn't love Larry. Larry's just the first one she managed to catch in her net. I'm guessing Larry's cousin's wife read a bunch of stuff on Jenny's page in her native language, and Jenny is being evasive and lying about it. And, she's angry with them for calling her out on it. How dare they?

That's the impression I get from Jenny as well.  Jenny's a professional, why else would she be on Filipino Cupid.  As much as I dislike her, I didn't like seeing brother and SIL (who got here using the same tactics) being so rude to her.

My youngest brother when he was 22 and straight out of college was recruited by a Japanese company.  In order for him to learn the workings of their manufacturing processes (the company was building several facilities in the US) he lived/worked in Japan for two years.  My brother had never dated much, never been out of the country and had never lived anywhere except my parents house.  He was a naive kid.  After he'd been there for almost a year he met a girl (she said she was 20, but looking at the pictures of her, she looked closer to 30) at an "event" the company held.  After that he said that she wanted to spend everyday with him and he fell in "love".  When he came home for a visit, he told us that he planned to marry her.  My very British mother hit the roof, (she'd never been much a fan of the Japanese, her father killed in WW2 when the Japanese sunk a British battleship he was on in 1941).  Mum disowned him on the spot and told him to get out of the house.  I ended up letting him stay with me, he was crushed/confused by her reaction.  I told him regardless, I'd support his choice, but asked him if he was sure he was really in love or was just lonely and latched on to the first girl he met.  Long story short, he went back and when he talked to her, suggesting they slow it down.  She didn't take her anger so much out on him, instead she started calling my mother repeatedly at all hours of the day/night - asking in broken English, "why you don't want me to marry "my love"-never mentioned my brother by name).   He came home sans the "girlfriend", further conversations with him he said that she had planned to bring family members to live with them once she "was legal".  This was almost 30 years ago so I'm don't know if she was working the green card angle with him, but after watching a couple seasons of this series, I wouldn't be surprised. 

On 10/23/2017 at 5:40 PM, magemaud said:

Why can't they share custody of Abby? She could stay with Sean in Ohio, then go to the DR to see Chris. Summer in Ohio with Daddy, Winter in the DR with Gramps. Best of both worlds for her! 

Love this!!!! If Abby does make it to the States, I'm sure that Chris will find some way to have this arranged.  I'm sure Abby will want to go "visit" her parents in Haiti (with the excuse of wanting to get away from the Ohio cold winters).  Since Sean loves her so much I'm sure he'd let her go (she just needs to make sure he can't come with her).  Perhaps she could make some other Haitian friends in Ohio and they could go for a "girls" week/month.  Of course, after she's got her Green card.

PS & btw - side eye to Larry saying he "doesn't eat meat".  He works for McDonald's right?  Hmm, the few times I've been there he might be telling the truth.  IMO, calling the burgers they sell as "meat" is a bit of a stretch.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bibi said:

There is a French word for him. "kéké". The exact meaning of this word is ... Patrick. I can't  find a better translation. A Keke is a French guy who tries ridiculously to be Patrick. Of course it's derogatory.

I think Myriam  was trying to be polite saying he's a dream guy. If he were, she would date him. I myself would never ever date Patrick.

Myriam  has been very clear about the situation. Patrick noticed her on Instagram (which is obviously not a dating website) and they started a conversation. It turned to friendship . A romantic relationship was never in question and Patrick knew that (of course, this is not what he said to family and friends. He let them think they were in love ). Patrick informed her that he was traveling to Paris  just a few days before he got on the plane. She eventually said that she was perfectly fine in Paris and going nowhere.

And about something I read upthread, just because your name is Myriam doesn't mean you're Muslim. She said her father immigrated from Algeria but she was born in France and not into the tradition. She doesn't look nothing like a Muslim. First of all she wouldn't be on that show. You can't ever imagine what a disgrace it would be to her family. And if she really has a boyfriend I'm hundred percent sure it's a French and non Muslim guy. A real Muslim wouldn't marry someone like Myriam cause she's too westernized. The reason why she wouldn't date Patrick is definitely not religious.

I can relate to this. My friend was on a TV show. When it was aired, the actual name of the program was totally different from what they said  when they were recording. This is how you can play negatively with someone's image.

Patrick said she was Muslim, and I believe she said so as well and also said her BF was muslim... has nothing to do with her name, not sure what made you draw that conclusion. 

Also don't think he informed her just a few days before from what I saw.

On 10/17/2017 at 0:34 AM, millennium said:

What did people do before air conditioning?  How did they survive?  In fact, how is it there are still humans walking the face of the earth today if our ancestors did not have AC?   Or even the luxury of being able to say "AC" several times an hour?

They built houses differently to take advantage of breezes.   One of my friends even has a historic house in Birmingham with a “sleeping porch” where they would drag their mattresses outside at night and sleep as it was cooler out there.  

Elderly people in nursing homes died after the hurricane without power to run the AC.  Lack of AC in certain climates is no joke. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, IAmJ said:

I'm not proud to admit it but I had the Extended Scenes episode on in the background the other day while I was working and I do remember hearing her say in a bonus scene that her boyfriend is Muslim and that it makes it easier for her family to accept him and it makes for an "easy life" for her. Can't imagine why this would make her life easier unless she was Muslim herself.

She's probably more like Shahs of Sunset Muslim.  Faith matters but they still want to have fun. 

• Love 3
On 10/23/2017 at 7:34 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Chris is happy to get his jollies with Abby, but he's pragmatic. He knows she wants marriage, and out of Haiti. He won't do it, but he cares enough about her to encourage her to go after her goal. I've seen it in action--an older guy is with a younger woman, they say things like "I want her to meet someone nice". They know they are too old, too set in their ways, too married, too interested in the party life, whatever. Chris is encouraging Abby,  but Abby doesn't want to give him up. That's going to be her downfall. She has to say good bye to Chris if she's going to commit to her plan of hooking an American guy who will actually marry her and get her out of Haiti. He's been around. He's probably been through this scenario several times. A cute playmate for a summer, and when their time is up,he says "you deserve the best, baby. Go on and meet someone nice, get married, have some babies. I'm not the guy for you. But you will always be special to me". 

Serious word ("They know they are too old, too set in their ways, too married, too interested in the party life, whatever."). Love, love, love this post!

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, politichick said:

Serious word ("They know they are too old, too set in their ways, too married, too interested in the party life, whatever."). Love, love, love this post!

Absolutely, but a 20 year old lacks the maturity to understand this intellectually, let alone emotionally.  She’s got  a bad case for Chris. She REALLY is “all in” and hoping because all these other men want her, that he will come to his senses.

• Love 4
On 10/23/2017 at 9:51 PM, Bibi said:

Thank you!

What bothers me the most is the cousin's wife.  I'm hundred percent sure this ugly **** found her own husband by disreputable means. And now that she's on top, she will hold the other girls' heads underwater.

What I like about Jenny is that she's always been very vocal about her intentions. Like   " My life will be better in America ", " Larry has money", she's dating American guys only... She's never pretended anything else! He was there when she said all she liked about him was his (too big) nose and he was ok. These relationships are agreements. You get sex, they get a better standard of living. Deal. Then if Larry is stupid enough to think it's a fairy tale,  too bad! When somebody tells you who they are believe them. I can't put the blame on Jenny.

Kind of Anifisa like. Everyone hated on her, but from the starting gate, she said, I want a rich guy, and then she gets mostly broke ass Jorge. I feel like Jenny will suffer a similar fate with Larry. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, millennium said:

I wanted to scream at Myriam that the only reason he's being Mr. Attentive and Adoring is because he wants to SCORE.  The guy's a player.  He's used to telling women all the pretty things they want to hear, apparently at least until he impregnates them. 

Yes this! The "everything I say is everything you ever wanted to hear", to quote a Henry Rollins song. I dated a Patrick, such a low down man whore, but boy he talked a good game!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, politichick said:

She's probably more like Shahs of Sunset Muslim.  Faith matters but they still want to have fun. 

Myriam said it herself --  she and her brother are modern Parisians like anybody else, but their parents are more traditional Algerian Muslims. I'm sure she feels pressured to date and marry within the faith, which is why she admitted that dating a Muslim makes for an easier life.

I'm not sure Myriam was really into Patrick, despite saying he was "all a woman wants". But even if she were into him (or experiencing some ... hormonal curiosity), this is TV! If her parents are traditional and have certain expectations, there is no way she'd defy them so publicly on a tv show. It would bring dishonour to the family, and Myriam doesn't strike me as all that rebellious.

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Absolutely, but a 20 year old lacks the maturity to understand this intellectually, let alone emotionally.  She’s got  a bad case for Chris. She REALLY is “all in” and hoping because all these other men want her, that he will come to his senses.

Really? I don't get that sense. Yes, she has more chemistry with Chris than with Sean, but Chris is, like, 45 years older than her. If she's "all in", it's got to be because he's been "generous" with her. He looks wealthier and more sophisticated than Sean, and can probably offer Abby more of what she wants ... except a green card. Abby is super calculating.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, deedee2 said:

Really? I don't get that sense. Yes, she has more chemistry with Chris than with Sean, but Chris is, like, 45 years older than her. If she's "all in", it's got to be because he's been "generous" with her. He looks wealthier and more sophisticated than Sean, and can probably offer Abby more of what she wants ... except a green card. Abby is super calculating.

Oh, she’s totally has more chemistry with Chris.  He might have been the first man to “ rock her world”, if you know what I mean. Anything less than that isn’t going to be the same.  Sean woke up the morning after rather pleased with himself, but Abby seemed all kinds of dead eyed underwhelmed.

You don’t have to be mature to be manipulative or calculating.  For Abby, it’s doubtless a mode of survival until she finds a way to escape her circumstances.  She’s better off than most Haitians, but I’m sure the benefits she receives as a sugar baby are what makes the difference.

• Love 1

Regarding Abby and Sean (and Chris), I wonder if Chris is actually the one pushing Abby to get married to another American.  Not because he wants to see her in the U.S., but so that he is able to start hooking up with someone else.  I do not believe for one second that Chris would make arrangements to see Abby if she moved to the U.S.  He obviously likes young, poor women from either Haiti or the Dominican; I think he's ready to move on.

• Love 3
On 10/23/2017 at 11:01 AM, bichonblitz said:

Larry has such a tiny little head, his hats are always too big for him. 

Patrick, your beautiful, sexy, perfect Miriam wears white tennis shoes with a fancy black dress. No bueno. 

I know, the white sneakers made me crazy, however, those French women understand fashion so maybe it's me, not her! And I also thought, why get your sex me pumps on for a guy you clearly have no interest in, be comfy!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Not because he wants to see her in the U.S., but so that he is able to start hooking up with someone else.  

Whereas up to now he's been faithful to Abby?  I get the feeling Chris does exactly as he pleases.  I wonder what his wife thinks, especially seeing him on TV.  

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Sean woke up the morning after rather pleased with himself, but Abby seemed all kinds of dead eyed underwhelmed.

I must have missed that episode *gag*. I know these girls are desperate to get out of their countries, but, ugh, what they have to endure. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TVismydrug said:

I know, the white sneakers made me crazy, however, those French women understand fashion so maybe it's me, not her! And I also thought, why get your sex me pumps on for a guy you clearly have no interest in, be comfy!

When we were in Paris, most people walked - a LOT, so comfy shoes were a necessity.  Lots of American women wear dress/business shoes at the office, but keep a pair of sneakers in their desks for lunch hour walking to restaurants.  Maybe Miriam and Patrick walked quite a ways to get to the boat, but she called a taxi (BEFORE getting off the boat, she was in such a hurry to get away from him) so she could get home safely after dark.  

This comment brought to you by a woman who has a pair of dressy black high-top sneakers to wear with a pair of black slacks for formal nights on a cruise.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Regarding Abby and Sean (and Chris), I wonder if Chris is actually the one pushing Abby to get married to another American.  Not because he wants to see her in the U.S., but so that he is able to start hooking up with someone else.  I do not believe for one second that Chris would make arrangements to see Abby if she moved to the U.S.  He obviously likes young, poor women from either Haiti or the Dominican; I think he's ready to move on.

I'm sure Chris has been down this road before, many times. He and Abby had a good run but he knows he'll tire--and he cares enough for her to encourage her to search elsewhere for that brass ring--a ticket out of Haiti.

23 hours ago, Forum member said:

I've been working up the nerve to say what Elizabeth reminds me of...

Bette Davis. She's a dead ringer.

How about as (a slightly younger) Baby Jane Hudson?

"I've written a letter to Andrei

His address is a Dublin pub..."

Edited by Tuneful
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tuneful said:

Bette Davis. She's a dead ringer.

How about as (a slightly younger) Baby Jane Hudson?

"I've written a letter to Andrei

His address is a Dublin pub..."

Well... at first I mumbled that she looks like a pile of mashed potatoes and made my wife laugh.

Then I saw her make the fish lips selfie pout and I got to thinking about our little short haired white fox terrier with upright tail. When she comes into full heat and everything is swollen red and engorged, yep.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, deedee2 said:

I wonder if Abby took up with Sean in an attempt to make Chris jealous--she's succeeded in making someone jealous, just not the one she wanted!

In the previews, Sean is making another trip to Haiti.  Is it a surprise trip?  Maybe he is going back to try to catch Abby with Chris.  Is it wrong that I kind of hope he does?

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Real4real said:

I wonder if Abby took up with Sean in an attempt to make Chris jealous--she's succeeded in making someone jealous, just not the one she wanted!

In the previews, Sean is making another trip to Haiti.  Is it a surprise trip?  Maybe he is going back to try to catch Abby with Chris.  Is it wrong that I kind of hope he does?

Nope.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2017 at 6:16 AM, AZChristian said:

ETA:  On every cruise we've ever taken, the majority of the crew members are from the Philippines.  What they do is not glamorous, but it's honest work and they tell me it pays better than staying on land at home.  I'd rather bus dishes on a ship working 6 months at a time than face life with someone like Larry.  Besides, she might meet a nice young man (even another Filipino) on the ship.  At least someone else might take off their hat while cuddling in bed.

My current and former GPs have both been Filipino (women). Filipinos are very resourceful people.

• Love 1
On 10/22/2017 at 8:01 PM, hawkhd said:

At which gas station did Pole purchase that ring? Ooooh myyy

LOL. My wife immediately recognized it as a gas station ring. I, on the other hand, did not. This makes me think of several questions I could ask in jest, all of which would not come across well in text. Oh well.

23 hours ago, TVismydrug said:

I think white sneakers with everything is a fashion trend among young women (the lateteens/early 20s crowd). 

• Love 4