Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

For gods sake Paul! If you want her to have a lock of your hair then cut a piece off and wrap it in something! Don’t just start pulling out strands and handing them to her one by one. Karine was (understandably) totally weirded out. 

• Love 23

On one hand, these are people that have to go to the poor parts of poor countries to meet attractive women that will sleep with them. So they aren't the cream of the crop. However, these social/romance skills are just SO BAD. I'm talking Paul and Larry. These poor women must just have no options whats so ever. I personally think Jenny is gorgeous, and will soon be on to bigger and better once they marry. Karine seems like she will stay married to whoever forever. She's a super good girl.

Jesse is a control freak who models.

Had to love Antonio trying his hardest to shed a tear. First, staring at the ceiling with his eyes wide open trying to get them red and watery, then a few hard blinks to quickly get a tear to fall. A fast wipe of his eye in front of the camera to wipe away nothing. And then kleenex in the car to pretend again to wipe eyes. Then the car goes away and he's walking down the street, totally fine. 

• Love 24
15 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

When Sean asked "What can Chris do that we can't do just as well the two of us?" well the answer is MORE INVENTORY=MORE MONEY for her family. 

Oh see, I thought you were going to say something sexual. This show has my mind messed up. I'll be turning in to PBS to make myself less shamed (until part 2 of the finale tomorrow). That said, I did notice that Abby, when taking her seat at the restaurant, was wearing one of the purses Sean brought to sell. I don't know how much money she's making if she just uses the merchandise herself.

When Paul offered Karine some of his hair, I screamed a little bit. So. many. red. flags. At least when something happens to her, we've got the creepy backstory on tape.

Other than Cortney/Antonio and Sean/Abby, I thought the goodbyes and endings were kind of sweet in a clearly dysfunctional, I give it one more season type of way. Even Jesse giving his army jacket was kind of nice. And I noticed that Karine's english is actually much better. She even stopped saying Pole but now she says Pa. It was creepy when she kept saying, "I love you Pa" but I'll just pretend she really meant her Dad.

I have to say the parents on this season have been the best ever. Can we get a spin off show with Father Karine, Mother Patrick and Mother Jessie plus Mother Pole? Because I think she's got way more crazy to share.

• Love 10

Abby is scary.

If that imbecile asks her to marry him, her pay back will be living in nowheres-ville Ohio.

These loser men should just face facts about themselves, stay home and hire a prostitute.   

Oh, I forgot these losers want to pretend some young beautiful women actually are attracted to them.

• Love 20
45 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

Oh yeah and what was in the 4 giant chests full of luggage he was leaving in Brazil? Obviously it is not anything that he needs. 

It's his anchor luggage, full of WW2 surplus survival gear and condoms for the penis fish.  

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Splithair said:

How the hell is Karine supposed to lug all those containers back to her village??  Paul's crying face almost made me change the channel.

He was just too lazy to lug them back to the United States - but claiming that he was leaving them there as a sign that he would be back was his cover story.  I hope she just leave them there at the hotel or throws them into a poop filled river. 

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Splithair said:

How the hell is Karine supposed to lug all those containers back to her village??  Paul's crying face almost made me change the channel.

She doesn't have to take it anywhere.  The HAZMAT team cleared the room out as soon as the camera crew left.  

• Love 10
1 minute ago, balisticnikki said:

Can someone explain how the season finale is going to air? Did i already miss part of it? Thnx

It seems like tonight was part 1 of it and then tomorrow night (Monday) will be a two hour reunion finale as part 2.  That’s how I understood it.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

Abby is scary.

If that imbecile asks her to marry him, her pay back will be living in nowheres-ville Ohio.

These loser men should just face facts about themselves, stay home and hire a prostitute.   

Oh, I forgot these losers want to pretend some young beautiful women actually are attracted to them.

Is Chris some kind of svengali?? Wth? Why can't she even pretend to break free of him? And did she essentially admit that up until the confrontation 4 weeks earlier, she and Chris had been smashing? 

38 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Antonio’s body language said it all.  He couldn’t wait for Complainy aka Cortney to be gone.   It was painful to watch!

But yet, he was crying.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

Springfield, right?  It's no paradise, but it's easily a billion times better than where Abby lives now.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

It's sad that Karine is crying for that putz. Makes me wonder how bad her situation is that she's willing to marrying it to get out of Brazil.

Unfortunately, I doubt she has any idea what a putz that dude is. Possibly a putz in her village is shunned. Pole gets a putz pass because he is American. Once she gets here, she will have something to compare him to and then the light bulb will go on.

• Love 13

Did Sean ever come to the realization that Chris and Abby were sharing a case of scabies because of all of their skin to skin contact???  It seems like the look on his face when that dawned on him would’ve made pretty good TV —especially if he started itching at about the same time. But I don’t recall him connecting the very obvious dots in any of the episodes.  

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

Unfortunately, I doubt she has any idea what a putz that dude is. Possibly a putz in her village is shunned. Pole gets a putz pass because he is American. Once she gets here, she will have something to compare him to and then the light bulb will go on.

Seems to me she knows exactly what her Pole issues are, and has made the rational decision to do whatever it takes to get out of Amazon/Dodge.  She seems like a shrewd cookie.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

The term ‘putz pass’ is the most  hilarious thing I’ve ever read on this board! Love it!

• Love 6

My other observation is that they both could have learned to speak the languages with that app. If every time they type a sentence, they make the other repeat the original  a few times while reading what they typed, they could learn a lot.  It seems like Pole could have picked up a shitload of Portuguese and vice versa. Except his English is so bad. It would be hard to "repeat after me". 

How did they even talk online? I don't get it.

• Love 3

Paul's proposal was the most pathetic thing I've seen in a long time. Nothing like saying words of love through a translator app while you silently pass the phone back on forth. 

The Jesse Darcy airport scene was so incredibly fake,with both if them shedding fake tears. Yuck.

• Love 10

Also I think Darcey is kind of cute in her own way.  Her boyfriend is too rigid. He is all wrong for her. I don't know that she could easily find a man though. It is hard for a single woman with kids in her 40's to find a decent man. Match.com is not as great as married/coupled people seem to think it is.

5 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

Also I think Darcey is kind of cute in her own way.  Her boyfriend is too rigid. He is all wrong for her. I don't know that she could easily find a man though. It is hard for a single woman with kids in her 40's to find a decent man. Match.com is not as great as married/coupled people seem to think it is.

There is something seriously wrong with that man, he seems like a very controlling person with deep seated anger issues.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Bellalisa said:

I don' understand how Sean is calling this clothes thing a business. Even if he is getting the clothing really really cheap, on clearance, or overruns, it has to be sold very cheap in Haiti. No one in Haiti has any money. It's not like you can buy clothing in the US, sell it to Haitians and make a profit. Of course Abby is making a profit because she isn't paying for the clothes. She is paying with sex. She is doing the same with Chris. When Sean asked "What can Chris do that we can't do just as well the two of us?" well the answer is MORE INVENTORY=MORE MONEY for her family. Why is she going to turn down inventory? The more she has, the more she can make.

This is a good business Abby has. The more American men she can get to bring her inventory, the better she makes out for herself and her family.  It would be stupid to cut Chris off.

LOL that's for sure!  Although if Sean is a house flipper I'm going to assume that he has pretty good knowledge of cost of goods sold.  She should hang onto him though because he lives near 2 big outlet malls so he can have her in cheap crap to resale for ages.  She probably does have a bunch of men providing inventory.

When she said her relationship with Chris changed and then whispered "because of Sean" I got the absolute creeps.  Only Abby could find a way to make 2 men who prey on ridiculously younger women somehow the tragic figure in this story.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Although if Sean is a house flipper. . .

That's what he claims, but all the interior shots of his house make it apparent he's living in a dump.  Also, it,s the wrong real estate market, in Ohio at least, for successful flipping.  

6 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

There is something seriously wrong with that man, he seems like a very controlling person with deep seated anger issues.

Is it the military thing or the steroids?  

• Love 5

We're watching the World Series, and will catch up with 90-Day franchise stuff tomorrow.  But in reading about the hair incident, I wonder if Karine and Abby are communicating in real life, and Karine will send the hair to Abby so she can take it to the voodoo lady and have a Paul voodoo doll made.

Unexplained sharp pains in Paul's nether regions will be the proof!

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

I met my spouse on match.com. ?

These two have a very odd dynamic in their relationship. He is so much younger, yet I get this weird daddy vibe from him, like he is setting limits on her behavior for her own good or something. I also find it weird that he keeps telling her he's proud of her and that she's grown. Something is just off there.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

That's what he claims, but all the interior shots of his house make it apparent he's living in a dump.  Also, it,s the wrong real estate market, in Ohio at least, for successful flipping.  

I thought that was the house he was flipping (in progress?!)  It had tons of weird construction material everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Is it the military thing or the steroids?  

hahaha!  Azan needs to hook up with Jesse for a serious bro session.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

How did they even talk online? I don't get it.

You can use a translator online.  Facebook has one built right in.

31 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

I think Darcey is kind of cute in her own way.

Go back and look at her pics online from just a few years ago.  She was beautiful.  Too much plastic surgery is not a good look on her and she looks creepy.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Splithair said:

I met my spouse on match.com. ?

These two have a very odd dynamic in their relationship. He is so much younger, yet I get this weird daddy vibe from him, like he is setting limits on her behavior for her own good or something. I also find it weird that he keeps telling her he's proud of her and that she's grown. Something is just off there.

Maybe Jesse and Darcey flip in to both child and adult modes (unconditional giving) and hoping that eventually both will flip in to adult mode and have a healthy, non-co-dependent relationship.

Paul could have gone to a search engine and typed in how to ask someone to marry you in Portuguese - or ask whatever voice assist that come with the computer or phone. Thought Karine would have said 'no'. He does have his flaws, but he has also been on decent behaviour in a foreign country. Wait til you get to America. As for him leaving his crap behind, maybe he couldn't afford the excess baggage charges.

Jenny, it is likely that Larry/love will continue to be a jerk - he is not rich, you will not be living in a mansion in the US, but he will probably not assault you or anything. His friends' opinion of you is irrelevant, but you will probably have to be nice to them and respect them being part of love's life.

Darcy actually seems pretty sweet. She put up with a lot while she was there. She wants to look cute and pretty, which isn't unheard of. Her style is a little different than mine, but she does put in a lot effort. For that I give her kuddos, as even when my husband and I first started dating, I only dressed up once (I even wore heels) for his birthday. Because I'm lazy and don't care how I look, which is pretty pathetic. Thank god my husband liked my eyes. She just really really wants the relationship to work and is incredibly lonely. Her kids are getting older, her ex is way gone, and she needs a purpose. She poured her heart out as well, and that takes guts. I hope she finds true love. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Standard Staples said:

Karine saying 'No" followed by the actual 'Yes' was like seeing your team swish the winning shot with 3 seconds left, only to have their opponent throw the full court bucket for the W as time expires.

Karine had to say"Yes", to save her village from destruction by arson fire. She now knows the truth about Pole. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Sprockets said:

I feel she is hiding something but hates to be hiding it.  I don't think the "business" she has with Chris has anything to do with clothes.  She seems terrified and trapped.  

I think she sells those panties 'used' to men who pay for that sort of thing. Remember he brought her a bunch of underwear when he first arrived?

• Love 11

Abby couldn't be possibly less convincing trying to tell us how much she loves Sean. There was no light in her eyes, she was trying to convince herself too but it's impossible as she loves Chris not Sean. She is not good enough at pretending emotions. You can read her like a book. If Sean doesn't see it it's because he chose not to see it. Sean will forever be just her ticket out of Haiti. Now back to finish the episode...

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

I don' understand how Sean is calling this clothes thing a business. Even if he is getting the clothing really really cheap, on clearance, or overruns, it has to be sold very cheap in Haiti. No one in Haiti has any money. It's not like you can buy clothing in the US, sell it to Haitians and make a profit. Of course Abby is making a profit because she isn't paying for the clothes. She is paying with sex. She is doing the same with Chris. When Sean asked "What can Chris do that we can't do just as well the two of us?" well the answer is MORE INVENTORY=MORE MONEY for her family. Why is she going to turn down inventory? The more she has, the more she can make.

This is a good business Abby has. The more American men she can get to bring her inventory, the better she makes out for herself and her family.  It would be stupid to cut Chris off.

My question is sort of stupid but how is Sean getting all those goods into Haiti without Customs shutting that @#$% down?  You cannot just go into a foreign country with 3 thousand pairs of undies or 200 purses or pairs of shoes and not have to fill out massive paperwork for an importing/exporting business.

Customs does not want people selling stuff on the sly, illegally, and you cannot enter a country with a million items of the same thing (i.e. - more of some thing than you would need for your personal use).  I'm not articulating myself properly but, for example, if I'm going to Haiti for a month visit I do not need to bring 900 pairs of undies with me for a 30-day stay so Customs will know I am bringing those undies in to sell.

Even bribing, third world countries don't usually allow this (and I know 'cause I lived in one for many years).  I lived in a country where the average bra size was an A cup.  I was a DD and literally could not find bras ANYWHERE.  So, when I would go home to the States I'd buy a lot of bras for me and my friends and bring them back overseas.  I ALWAYS got my stuff held, confiscated by Customs because they thought I was going to sell them.  I dunno.  Maybe different countries have different rules.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 10

Umkay.  I'd finally decided to go with WTFever, Pole the rest of this season, but the hair thing got me LIT.  Karine.  Girl.  Run.  Run back to bumfuck middle of nowhere in the Amazon.  Anything is better than dealing for Pole for any length of time.  Her tearful admission that she was scared he would abandon her was so telling.

Jesse continues to be a tool.  He thinks he's some sort of amazing European "jack of all trades", Renaissance-type men, right?  Like, a philosopher?  When he opens his trap, I roll my eyes.  It's almost Pavlovian.    Darcey and Jesse are also completely wrong for each other.  What in the world do they have in common?

Abby is SUCH a damn snake.  I actually think she dislikes Sean, but is trying to have her cake and eat it too.  I also feel like she's going to play victim re: Chris (the big bad white man seduced me), which maybe true on some level, but Abby has become a serious game player.

Also that clip of Mother Patrick yelling at Maryam is ridiculous.  Your pretty prince precious got himself involved with a foreign chick and got his dense heart broken.  Whatever.  

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, rideashire said:

I think she sells those panties 'used' to men who pay for that sort of thing. Remember he brought her a bunch of underwear when he first arrived?

Yep.  This.  I was thinking of this too.  I lived overseas and men in the country where I lived, well, wealthy men would pay about $100 US for a pair of well "used" white cotton child-like looking panties.  I used to think - Good Lord, what am I busting my hump 60 hrs. a week for when I knew a few university students of mine who were selling their panties for big bucks online.

2 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

Oh yeah and what was in the 4 giant chests full of luggage he was leaving in Brazil? Obviously it is not anything that he needs.

WHAT was in those huge chests anyway? We certainly didn't see evidence of Pole changing his clothes multiple times a day, like he was a house guest at Downton Abbey! 

I wonder how long it took Kreeny to get rid of his greasy hairs! And why wasn't she wearing her ring in the taxi on the way to the airport? Did she get machete mugged again? 

Edited by magemaud

I cringe everytime I see Paul’s stupid dollar tree rose ring box,along with Larry’s tacky plastic box. Shocking how they both gave the girls Sapphire rings.

Should Karine and Paul even be allowed to get married? I mean they can’t even communicate. How can they submit the proof for the visa to prove they’re a real couple if they can’t talk to each other. I can only imagine their wedding vows,it’ll be the sound of Siri repeating everything. 

How is Jenny a 10? Her bone structure in her face seems off and she looks way older then 23. 

Sean probably paid more baggage fees for all of that cheap rue21 clothes he brought to Haiti then Abby will even profit

Jesse is a douche but he is right you can’t rush marriage. Darcy only wants a ring,I feel like once she has that she will be bored. 

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, beesknees said:

My question is sort of stupid but how is Sean getting all those goods into Haiti without Customs shutting that @#$% down?  You cannot just go into a foreign country with 3 thousand pairs of undies or 200 purses or pairs of shoes and not have to fill out massive paperwork for an importing/exporting business.

Customs does not want people selling stuff on the sly, illegally, and you cannot enter a country with a million items of the same thing (i.e. - more of some thing than you would need for your personal use).  I'm not articulating myself properly but, for example, if I'm going to Haiti for a month visit I do not need to bring 900 pairs of undies with me for a 30-day stay so Customs will know I am bringing those undies in to sell.

Even bribing, third world countries don't usually allow this (and I know 'cause I lived in one for many years).  I lived in a country where the average bra size was an A cup.  I was a DD and literally could not find bras ANYWHERE.  So, when I would go home to the States I'd buy a lot of bras for me and my friends and bring them back overseas.  I ALWAYS got my stuff held, confiscated by Customs because they thought I was going to sell them.  I dunno.  Maybe different countries have different rules.

When that big typhoon hit the Philippines several years ago, it wiped out my wife's town and damaged her family's homes in the country. We were gathering clothes from the local community charity thrift store until they figured out what she was up to. They opened the back room and gave her a pickup load of clothes. We packed the limit for her and our son and they flew over to help. Customs didn't blink an eye. We even had hand tools and supplies to rebuild their houses. Maybe they were lenient after the typhoon. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Hellohappylife said:

I cringe everytime I see Paul’s stupid dollar tree rose ring box,along with Larry’s tacky plastic box. Shocking how they both gave the girls Sapphire rings.

Should Karine and Paul even be allowed to get married? I mean they can’t even communicate. How can they submit the proof for the visa to prove they’re a real couple if they can’t talk to each other. I can only imagine their wedding vows,it’ll be the sound of Siri repeating everything. 

How is Jenny a 10? Her bone structure in her face seems off and she looks way older then 23. 

Sean probably paid more baggage fees for all of that cheap rue21 clothes he brought to Haiti then Abby will even profit

Jesse is a douche but he is right you can’t rush marriage. Darcy only wants a ring,I feel like once she has that she will be bored. 

Paul and Karine's lack of a shared language will definitely be an issue. It is one of the major signs of fraud that USCIS looks for. 

One thing I've wondered about with Before the 90 Days: you have to submit a ton of proof that the relationship is real when you go through the green card process. The requirements for a K-1 might not be as stringent, but I'm wondering if they can use this show as "proof" of a legitimate relationship?

• Love 2

Do you ever just have a visceral reaction to someone that you can't explain?  I feel this irrational revulsion toward Cortney.  She's definitely a huge pain in the ass, but it's something more than that.  I shudder and look away when she's on.  I'd rather watch what's-his-head and Karine than Cortney and Antonio and we all know how icky he is.

I also observed that Darcy looks soooo much better leaving Amsterdam than when she arrived.  Definitely less makeup is good but I also think her lip fillers have calmed down a bit since she's been away from her regular esthetician and maybe the not drinking looks better on her too...?  Anyhoo, Jesse is gross and she seems kind of fucked up but basicallly nice, so I hope she finds someone better.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, Splithair said:

Paul and Karine's lack of a shared language will definitely be an issue. It is one of the major signs of fraud that USCIS looks for. 

One thing I've wondered about with Before the 90 Days: you have to submit a ton of proof that the relationship is real when you go through the green card process. The requirements for a K-1 might not be as stringent, but I'm wondering if they can use this show as "proof" of a legitimate relationship?

That’s what I’ve been wondering. I don’t think any of them even get married legally. At least not right away as we’re made to believe on the show. I think they come over on some other kind of visa that TLC pays for.  Especially since a lot of these people have only been talking for months or less then a. year. It just doesn’t make since to me how they’re able to do it so fast,this show makes the process look  so easy,like you just have to submit a paper and ta-da!  I have a friend who married a guy from The UK 2 years ago. The process for him to come to the US  took them 2 years,after all of the interviews and submitting all of the paper work,proving they were a legit couple, doctor exam,and that she was able to cover everything until he was able to work,before he was allowed to come. It’d be nice if this show showed that but this show is obviously only about drama and making these people look like idiots.

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Hellohappylife said:

That’s what I’ve been wondering. I don’t think any of them even get married legally. At least not right away as we’re made to believe on the show. I think they come over on some other kind of visa that TLC pays for.  Especially since a lot of these people have only been talking for months or less then a. year. It just doesn’t make since to me how they’re able to do it so fast,this show makes the process look  so easy,like you just have to submit a paper and ta-da!  I have a friend who married a guy from The UK 2 years ago it took them 2 years,after all of the interviews and submitting all of the paper work,proving they were a legit couple,and that she was able to cover everything until he was able to work,before he was allowed to come. It’s be nice if this show showed that but this show is obviously only about drama and making these people look like idiots.

It really is an intense and lengthy process, and I also wish they would show more of that aspect. 

It will be interesting to see how quick the next season comes for these couples because it takes at least 6 months to get the visa.

5 hours ago, Sprockets said:

I feel she is hiding something but hates to be hiding it.  I don't think the "business" she has with Chris has anything to do with clothes.  She seems terrified and trapped.  

I hope you mean trapped to be with Sean.  You can't fake how much she lit up and adored being with Chris.  But I want in on that sort of business where someone else gives me all the goods, I sell it, and keep all the profit.  Definitely more of the, "seeking arrangement" type vibe.

I can't wait until tomorrow.  Paul has another secret to share, Abby is lying her ass off to Sean about Chris, Jesse has weird lady hair...  a quality show.

• Love 7

Larry must have a sliding scale we don't know about considering he gave himself a 5.  

When Pole pulled that hair out of Karine's hair, I have a feeling he's going to put that through a drug/DNA test when he gets home. 

• Love 7