Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

Yes, Laura's presence in the Duggar house, friendship with Jana, etc have never been addressed by the Duggars. It's like we're supposed to ignore the fact that she seem to live there and attends even intimate family gatherings...like baby births. I was shocked to learn that she turned 36 years old and most likely sleeps in the girls' dormitory with a 10 year old (Josie). The Duggars are strange people, indeed.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Yes, Laura's presence in the Duggar house, friendship with Jana, etc have never been addressed by the Duggars. It's like we're supposed to ignore the fact that she seem to live there and attends even intimate family gatherings...like baby births. I was shocked to learn that she turned 36 years old and most likely sleeps in the girls' dormitory with a 10 year old (Josie). The Duggars are strange people, indeed.

To save money rather than pay rent, especially if she travels a lot?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

To save money rather than pay rent, especially if she travels a lot?

So Laura is a grifter too? I don't know too many adults of any age, but certainly not in their 30s, who go live with families not their own, to save money.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

So Laura is a grifter too? I don't know too many adults of any age, but certainly not in their 30s, who go live with families not their own, to save money.

Well, she must have been invited.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

IIRC, Laura is much more religious than her family, so that could be part of it. There's no end to the batshittery people do in the name of religion.

I'll say this much for the Duggars--they're so consistent in their belief that women shouldn't work outside the home that they open their home to random women. I know Laura has denied being the kids' tutor but I'm sure she has some unofficial job she's doing in exchange for room and board. 

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, lascuba said:

IIRC, Laura is much more religious than her family, so that could be part of it. There's no end to the batshittery people do in the name of religion.

I'll say this much for the Duggars--they're so consistent in their belief that women shouldn't work outside the home that they open their home to random women. I know Laura has denied being the kids' tutor but I'm sure she has some unofficial job she's doing in exchange for room and board. 

I agree, the Fundy component is a big part of it, but Laura does work outside the home and apparently she is allowed to travel solo. No matter how or why, the arrangement is a bit odd.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

They have grown men living in the boy's "dorm," too, right? I forget the name of the family, I think it starts with an H and I think they're Indonesian originally (?), but last I heard at least one of the men in the family lives at the Big House.

Boob and Michelle are basically cult leaders and Laura and the H-kidults are members of the cult, so they are welcome at the cult compound. Seriously my perspective on it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree, the Fundy component is a big part of it, but Laura does work outside the home and apparently she is allowed to travel solo. No matter how or why, the arrangement is a bit odd.

More than bit odd. I think there's some truth to your comment about Laura being a grifter.  Generous is not a word I'd use to describe them, but they can be remarkably generous and and seemingly naive to people who contact them as fans looking for spiritual guidance. They've invited total strangers into their home based on nothing more that a few email exchanges. At least 2 sons-in-law--Ben and Derick--came into their lives after they contacted JB as fans. Best case scenario, JB and Michelle have nothing but good intentions and take seriously their belief that they have to bring people to fundie Jesus. More likely, @rue721 is right that they're cult leaders, though not particularly successful ones as far as famous cult leaders go. So they invite people in because they want to grow their cult and people like Laura--while not liars--are in it more as a soft grift than true devotion to the Duggars.

• Love 9

I don't think for a minute that Laura lives with the Duggars to save money. If she's not paying rent, she's doing something else in exchange for her room and board. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

According to Google, she was born June 16, 1985. So yes she is.

We are exactly the same age (date and year). I feel bad for her that her life is just... being an honorary J-Slave.

58 minutes ago, rue721 said:

They have grown men living in the boy's "dorm," too, right? I forget the name of the family, I think it starts with an H and I think they're Indonesian originally (?), but last I heard at least one of the men in the family lives at the Big House.

the Hatonos lived with/stayed with the duggars years ago. Elijah Kaneshiro has been with the duggars about as long a Laura. Elijah is late 20s or maybe 30 now

Laura has worked for Embassy media, so maybe she is the one who does duggar fam official and other SM

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Boob and Michelle are basically cult leaders and Laura and the H-kidults are members of the cult, so they are welcome at the cult compound. Seriously my perspective on it.

You're thinking of one of the Hartonos.  Jonathan and his sister, Jenny, used to stay with the Duggars a lot when they were kids as some sort of fundie exchange students. Jana and JD went to southeast Asia on a mission trip at one point and met up with them there, too.

Now that they're both adults, they've still stayed with the Duggars for extended periods of time, though I don't think any are there right now.

I don't think these Hartonos are related to the Indonesian billionaires named Hartono, though, or JB would've marched Jana and JD down the aisle to marry them in a double wedding long ago.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4

I think Laura must do something for the family so they keep around. I doubt they would let her stay for years if she didn't do some chores, etc.

That being said she's a grown woman who could leave and would probably have the support of her own family to leave. So she must feel some reason to stay. 

• Love 6
On 6/23/2021 at 10:55 AM, lascuba said:

She reminds me of the girl from the documentary, A Courtship

She too was a grown woman in her 30s who became a nanny for a fundy family and lived with them for years. She started calling them her “spiritual parents” and allowed the “dad” to supervise her (unsuccessful) courtships. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

She too was a grown woman in her 30s who became a nanny for a fundy family and lived with them for years. She started calling them her “spiritual parents” and allowed the “dad” to supervise her (unsuccessful) courtships. 

I just watched this doc on Sunday.  It's very interesting.  I highly recommend it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think Laura must do something for the family so they keep around. I doubt they would let her stay for years if she didn't do some chores, etc.

That being said she's a grown woman who could leave and would probably have the support of her own family to leave. So she must feel some reason to stay. 

I used to dismiss the idea as ridiculous, but I'm starting to think that Laura's primary purpose there it so be Jana's friend/companion. Jana has no single adult female in the house, and while no one would ever accuse JB and Michelle of being grateful for Jana's work and considerate of her feelings, they have to recognize that she needs regular adult interaction if she's going to remain content running their home. Since going out and meeting people on her own is out of the question, the have Laura there

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, charmed1 said:

That was soooo bizarre!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, lascuba said:

I used to dismiss the idea as ridiculous, but I'm starting to think that Laura's primary purpose there it so be Jana's friend/companion. Jana has no single adult female in the house, and while no one would ever accuse JB and Michelle of being grateful for Jana's work and considerate of her feelings, they have to recognize that she needs regular adult interaction if she's going to remain content running their home. Since going out and meeting people on her own is out of the question, the have Laura there

It would be nice if they did recognize that, but I just don't know that I would credit them with that kind of insight. I can't imagine that they wouldn't think they (and the adult siblings who still live close enough to interact with fairly often) are all the company Jana would ever need.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It would be nice if they did recognize that, but I just don't know that I would credit them with that kind of insight. I can't imagine that they wouldn't think they (and the adult siblings who still live close enough to interact with fairly often) are all the company Jana would ever need.

Yeah that would almost seem like some admission of failure, which they don't seem to do. As I've said before on here, Denial is the name of a river that runs through the TTH! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, lascuba said:

I think along the same lines.  Not that it was a planned, thought out thing, but perhaps the women are friends, they have the space, Laura may have no permanent home, and it just works out.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I still maintain that Jana does whatever Jana wants to do.  I think she has friends not seen on TV or in her occasional social media posts.  I think Jana goes where she wants, and decides if she wants company or not and who that will be.  I do NOT believe she still has any "accountability" partner.  I think that whole family concept was phased out years ago as there are too few kids at home & they all know too much about the real world.  There is no more "Nike". 

I also think Jana helps keep the pubic info, photos and stories sanitized and on brand for the few media outlets that give a crap about any of them anymore. ( Aside from Josh.)  It's really her only job.  The fascination with their circus act is gone, so it's an easy one. 

I think Jana might live in the big house, or she might live in one of the many properties they own all across several counties.  Alone, or with friends or a sister or two.  But while I think she's still protective of the family, I also don't think she's under anybody's thumb, least of all her parents.  

Edited by leighdear
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, lascuba said:

I think her job is to be an alternate sistermom and housekeeper in case it's too much for Jana and she needs help.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

3F6684D6-8327-4316-BD3C-590339946E14.jpeg

2AADA67A-8E83-41F8-B8BF-FE517B128E5F.jpeg

There's a lot to read here.

1. Why would you join an "overpriced Bible study" when there are free Bible studies everywhere?

2. Three hours a week is an "extremely inexpensive Bible college"? Sounds like...an overpriced Bible study and ripoff to me.

3. Who wrote this for her? I can't imagine her accurately using the word "chronologically," let alone being able to spell it. 

4. Drinking from a fire hose does not sound like fun. 

5. How much did Laura get paid for this crap? 

• Love 21

$157 for the first semester.  The remaining ones are less.  

It does sounds like an overpriced Bible study.  I can go to at least three near me that are basically free.  I would need to buy my own copy of the book.  

• Love 7
(edited)

FAITH BIBLE INSTITUTE

"What if you could offer a Bible college for your own church members?
Now you can! All you need is a TV, DVD player and 10 students. We provide everything else to start you on this 3 year journey through the Word of God. There is no cost to your church and each student’s cost is just $157* for the first semester and $115* for all other semesters. Click here for a tour on how you can have a Bible college in your church.*Cost reflects regular enrollment"

The adult Fundy world reminds me of peewee sports, but instead of getting a trophy for showing up, they get fancy certificates.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 6
  • Love 11
(edited)
7 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

It's just like college -- except you only study for three hours a week, and you only read one book, but otherwise exactly the same!

If only that were how I got a BA in religious studies. I would have had so much free time, and saved lots of money on books.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 8
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

Maybe Jana can wed in peace now that the show is canceled.

I expect Laura's overpriced Bible College classes made it quite clear that they may not do that, however. 😁

• LOL 6
  • Love 1