Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Tornado

(edited)

Glenn tires to determine which employees to lay off, which puts everyone in the store on edge; Jonah struggles with the repercussions of an admission he made to Amy; Garrett and Dina argue; Mateo creates an alliance to keep his job.

Never began a thread before, hope this is okay!

Edited by EarlGreyTea
episode summary
  • Love 1
(edited)

Wow. Now that was astoundingly well done. The tornado was utterly terrifying! I was tense all through the episode. The shelves flying everywhere! Myrtle all alone hanging onto a shelf was unnerving as hell. Does this mean the end of Brett? He was my favorite background character, always cleaning up crap! He sure looked like a goner though. I hope they keep him! In a similar vein, I hope they keep Marcus too. And that one guy with the long hair. Dammit, I hope they're all back next season. I've grown too attached to everyone.

Mateo's Asian alliance was hysterical, and I tip my hat to the showrunners. I love, love, love the diversity on this show.

Garrett is so shaken up by Dina it's hysterical. He is usually so smooth and chill; to have him unhinged by her is so much fun to watch. I'm glad she's the one who is more indifferent and he's the one who has caught feelings. It's usually the other way around. I would have been annoyed that she didn't give me the helmet too. But the fact that she ran up to Garrett and not random other people does show there's something there on her part too. I think.

I am totally a Glenn in that I'm a softy. Could never be in management. It would kill me to have to let anyone go. Dina spitting out the banana bread was hilarious.

Anyone else catch the tartar guy from a previous episode back as the guy with the question about razors?

This episode felt so weird in that there were a lot of tense moments. Definitely a finale feel to it. A lot of things, like the tornado, cannot be walked back. The Amy and Jonah kiss was perfect. Of course they'd go for it at the very end. My mom doesn't want them to get together, because it ruins the dynamic, but I am really interested to see where this goes. This show has become the only one for me that is appointment television. I can't wait for its return.

Excellent callback to Cheyenne's green hair thingy! And Dina finding Dave and Buster's coins in her pocket. They all went there for Sandra's birthday.

Also loved Amy picking Cheyenne to be her hug buddy. Those two are sweet.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 19
8 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Does this mean the end of Brett? He was my favorite background character!

He was their top-rated employee, I believe.  

12 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Definitely a finale feel to it.

Fortunately, it's only the season finale not the series one. It's been renewed. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I forgot to add! I've been binging this season and the last one for the past few weeks. In more than one episode there's mention of tornados. Glenn even says something like, "We haven't done a tornado drill in a while" and everyone blows him off. I love it when shows are several steps ahead and drop hints like that. And yeah, a drill was a good idea.

I'm re-watching the episode now, and a firefighter  clearly says to Glenn, "No death or injuries in a place like this, someone must be looking out for you." So that means Brett is okay! I hope.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 11

The tornado was definitely terrifying and I loved Amy and Jonah.   Especially him after, trying to stop her from saying anything .  He's so sweet.

I also laughed so hard at Allah stopping the storm .  Glen's reaction was great.  Religious jokes the to make me a little nervous about people being offended but that was good.

• Love 12

Thank you...Allah?

SOMEONE was looking out... *glares up*

Also I felt like this was set up as a potential series finale but if they got renewed as a way to get a new/updated store set and the joke will be they were long due but corporate never ponied up for a remodel.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I'm re-watching the episode now, and a firefighter  clearly says to Glenn, "No death or injuries in a place like this, someone must be looking out for you." So that means Brett is okay! I hope.

I hope he is too but I think that was to give us a false sense of security.  They hadn't found anyone dead.  

I really like how on the edge this show portrays life in retail.  Last season it was with the strike.  This season, it's with the tornado.  The fact is, for all the talk of losing six people, the store damage could mean most of them are out of work for an extended period of time if there are no other positions open at other stories in town.

I wonder if they're going to keep Amy married for longer.  Sometimes the decision to divorce can take a while and the mind can be changed.

I appreciate someone pointing out that the actress who plays Cheyenne has an Asian grandparent which made the Asian alliance that much more awesome.  And the fact that she just laughed maniacally throughout the tornado.

Sandra is cold, man.  It was kind of awesome.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 14
(edited)
27 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

The look Sandra gave Carol when she shut the door on her was amazing. 

I'm looking forward to everything they set-up for season three, especially Sandra vs. Carol!

39 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

Thank you...Allah?

SOMEONE was looking out... *glares up*

Also I felt like this was set up as a potential series finale but if they got renewed as a way to get a new/updated store set and the joke will be they were long due but corporate never ponied up for a remodel.

There was an episode earlier this season where Dina and Mateo were showing off pictures of a remodeld store.

45 minutes ago, ally862 said:

The tornado was definitely terrifying and I loved Amy and Jonah.   Especially him after, trying to stop her from saying anything .  He's so sweet.

I really liked the way Amy looked at Jonah as he walked away towards Mateo & Marcus.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

I'm 90% sure the building housing the set was torn down at Universal after they wrapped, so they were going to get a new set no matter the plot point if they were renewed.

• Love 2

Was Brett the older gentleman who was collecting carts in the parking lot?

Did Myrtle make it? In real life I'm not sure she would have. I was hoping that Jonah would break away from his eye-lock with Amy and go save her.

Did anyone catch the name of the six of the short-list?

• Love 1

A great episode. Very tense and well done! They did an impressive effects job!

Loved Sandra getting hers and showing Carol whose boss!

Looks like Dina and Garrett caught feelings. I kinda like them together and hope they work it out.

Really liked Amy and Jonah taking shelter together. Also loved Cheyenne's hysterical laughter.

RIP Brett(or so it seems).

• Love 4

This episode was really well done. A good mix of humorous and serious moments.

I loved the scene in the break room: "It can't be a mistake if it's what everyone votes for." "Oh yeah, that's always true." 

Glenn just praying to different religious figures, hoping one would eventually work was hilarious, as was Cheyenne laughing and rolling around on the floor going, "We're all going to dieeeee." I would probably be Cheyenne in this situation; I tend to laugh when I'm uncomfortable. I was cracking up that through the entire storm, the t.v. showing the home shopping network was somehow still going.

I like Amy and Jonah, so I thought his (admittedly poor) attempts to comfort her were sweet, as was the kiss. I had a feeling it was going to play out like it did though, with her husband showing up at the end. 

And lastly, I'm glad that Cheyenne finally found her green hair scrunchie.

• Love 5
(edited)

RE Brett, Dina did note his non-response when she was taking attendance in the aftermath. I think Brett surviving would be highly unlikely, but because him dying would not be funny to me, I hope they do some kind of unrealistic gag like he was blown somewhere and found alive, but for a while he thinks he's in Oz or something. Or they just say he went to Australia.

I love everything everyone else already said they loved. Also, I think I might be ready to fall in love again, because I find myself taking way more interest in the couples on this show than I usually do (I am usually pretty anti-shipper).

Garrett's glee over Jonah having said "sexy"-- and trying to cover by calling everything and everyone sexy-- was even funnier because of Garrett himself being caught up in denying his feelings for Dina while having a total meltdown over her coldness.

The phone calls to loved ones were the perfect blend of poignant and funny:
Dina to the birds: "Open the cages. I know you know how. I've known for months."
Cheyenne to Bo: "If I die, make sure Harmonica becomes an actress."

I wonder if there will be fallout from Mateo's confession to Jeff.

The juxtaposition of Cheyenne's hysterical laughter and Glenn's multiple choice praying was great.

Also, Glenn's inability to decide who to fire, which suddenly turned into a rapidfire list of names-- made me wonder where that came from and if he knew all along but had just been stalling. What would have happened if he hadn't actually named anyone? Don't places like that usually have protocols, like "last hired, first fired"? I worked in retail, but it was not a large corporation, just one store with local management, but even that place had some guidelines.

I really love this show.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 10

We finally hear Brett speak! And his word -- perhaps his first and last -- turned out to be *BLEEPED*.

When the tornado struck, I thought it would be the way for the show to walk back the firing plot ("Turns out we will need all hands on deck to out the store back together. Thank Allah"). But, given that the destruction turned out to be so major, severe, and structural, I guess I'm wrong -- and indeed, perhaps the plot will go in the opposite direction, in which everyone is out of a job for a while. 

The look Sandra gave Carol when she shut the door on her was amazing. 

That Godfather reference will always be timeless...ly hilarious.

• Love 3
(edited)

Soooo, are they all laid off now?  Dammit, where's Brett?  I'm worried as he said the only two words ever this episode then bit it. lol  Hope he's back along with long-haired dude.  Marcus is annoying, but probably necessary.  Maybe Brett will survive under a big garbage bin ala Glenn in Walking Dead.   Someone should have tried to help Myrtle.

Edited by kelslamu
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

RE Brett, Dina did note his non-response when she was taking attendance in the aftermath. I think Brett surviving would be highly unlikely, but because him dying would not be funny to me, I hope they do some kind of unrealistic gag like he was blown somewhere and found alive, but for a while he thinks he's in Oz or something. Or they just say he went to Australia.

I'm hoping this as well, like he either he was blow somewhere else or that after his near death experience he wandered off, maybe to fulfill some life long dreams. The alternative is pretty depressing for a sitcom like this.

I have to give them credit, this was the right balance of humor and suspense. I appreciate how this show is overall hysterical but doesn't shy away from presenting heavier issues for what they are.

I'm indifferent to Amy and Jonah, I knew since the beginning they were going to happen, but I think it is too soon. Amy is just barely getting out of a long marriage that she was mostly unhappy in, I think for character purposes she needs to be single for a while and figure out who she is outside a relationship. Dina and Garrett can bring it on, though I want them to keep going at the slow pace they are.

• Love 2

That was really well done, including the perfectly timed Amy/Jonah kiss. They sure blew up that set. It would have been a good series finale had the show not been renewed, and it also nicely sets up things for next year as the store reopens, including how the various romantic alliances will or won't develop. I love the way this show has grown the characters. I agree with the comment above that one or two episodes where we see the gang outside the work environment could be interesting.

I presume that everyone made it through, including Brett, since this is a sitcom, but I'm a little worried about Myrtle!

• Love 3

I was distracted this whole episode because I thought "damn, they should all be in the bathrooms with the doors bolted." It seemed like nobody except Sandra's crew made it to an interior, lockable room without windows.

• Love 4

When I worked for a big retailer that had a lot of layoffs, they made everyone re-interview for the positions left.  I think that would have made an interesting episode, or sub-plot at least.

I really hope next season opens up directly after the tornado.  I want to see Jeff's reaction, how they rebuild, and the fallout from the timing of the layoffs.  I'm going to feel cheated if we open up back in the fall.

• Love 5

I didn't like the Amy/Jonah kiss - it just seems odd that someone would be fearful for their life and decide that was a good time to kiss someone. It just seems like a worn-out trope. Actually, I wish Amy and Jonah would just remain friends.

That storm was terrifying; good job, show!

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, saylubee said:

When I worked for a big retailer that had a lot of layoffs, they made everyone re-interview for the positions left.  I think that would have made an interesting episode, or sub-plot at least.

The grocery store I go to closed down for a few months to expand and remodel and during that time, the employees all went to different stores in the chain. Then when their store reopened, they all had to reapply for their old jobs. I'd like to see a couple of episodes where everyone is working at different Cloud 9s and then has to be interviewed by Glenn or maybe Jeff to get their jobs back. Maybe that would take care of the layoffs too, and instead of the six Glenn named, it will be six randos we haven't seen before.

I feel bad about how Sandra not letting Carol into the room doesn't bother me. Carol calling Jerry to say that Sandra gave herpes to a bunch of guys was horrible, but leaving her out to die was not a proportionate response. And yet I was still thinking, "close the door, Sandra! Close it!"

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

RE Brett, Dina did note his non-response when she was taking attendance in the aftermath. I think Brett surviving would be highly unlikely, but because him dying would not be funny to me, I hope they do some kind of unrealistic gag like he was blown somewhere and found alive, but for a while he thinks he's in Oz or something.

Since you all remember this character Brett, which I do not, while watching the episode I kind of thought he would be a non-person... some kind of corporate fluke where there was a person named Brett who was "hired" and shows up on the schedule but nobody ever saw him or worked with him because he doesn't actually exist which is why the firefighters said everyone was okay while Dina's list has this non-existent person on it. 

9 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

The grocery store I go to closed down for a few months to expand and remodel and during that time, the employees all went to different stores in the chain. Then when their store reopened, they all had to reapply for their old jobs. I'd like to see a couple of episodes where everyone is working at different Cloud 9's and then has to be interviewed by Glenn or maybe Jeff to get their jobs back. Maybe that would take care of the layoffs too, and instead of the six Glenn named, it will be six randos we haven't seen before.

That would be fun! And weird. But mostly fun. 

Something Glenn did about the layoffs reminded me so much of Michael Scott. I kept this episode to rewatch because there was so much going on. 

15 hours ago, Mrs Shibbles said:

It's good to hear Into Dust by Mazzy Star. Just caught it on a HOUSE MD recently.  That song is timeless to me.  

I always knew and liked Fade Into You from when it was in regular rotation on the radio in the 90s, but I didn't discover Into Dust until it was played on The O.C. - amazing song. Embarrassed to admit that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

Since you all remember this character Brett, which I do not, while watching the episode I kind of thought he would be a non-person...

I'm pretty sure Brett is the older Asian guy who was out in the parking lot collecting carts while the tornado was coming.  Those scenes of him still at it while the storm got worse and worse made me think "yeah, Walmart would totally make the cart guys finish that, even in a tornado".

• Love 5
13 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I'm 90% sure the building housing the set was torn down at Universal after they wrapped, so they were going to get a new set no matter the plot point if they were renewed.

I thought they filmed inside an actual former/now closed big box store.

If it was just sets on the Universal lot, I wonder why they tore it down after the season.  

• Love 1

The good: Dina asking if she tasted cinnamon in the banana bread; Glenn replying "It's taco seasoning." Jonah trying to work "sexy" into all his conversations and announcements. Dina: "You're not a slut Justine! Stop trying to seem interesting!"

The better: the tornado hitting the store and tearing it apart. The aftermath. So impressive for a half-hour sitcom!

My one gripe: Yet another example of Hollywood having no idea how tornadoes actually work. Assuming these people have lived in the St. Louis area and/or the midwest most of their lives nobody would panic or freak out over a tornado warning. You turn on the TV and watch the radar to see where it's going. Yeah, if it's heading straight for you, you head for the nearest/best shelter. But nobody would be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. You can track a tornado on radar and watch where it's going. They should have all been glued to the TV. A tornado is not the same thing as a hurricane. Gah.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If it was just sets on the Universal lot, I wonder why they tore it down after the season.  

Because they're expanding the Universal Studios Theme Park. Several soundstages were demolished.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I thought they filmed inside an actual former/now closed big box store.

Some of the exteriors might be from an actual box store. I'm not sure about that. But the interiors were in soundstage 22 (23? now I can't remember), which got torn down for theme park expansion.

• Love 2

This episode was fantastic.

The first hit of the tornado was well done and very scary.  The whole destruction scenes was great.

Mateo for once made me really laugh throughout the whole episode.  His various alliances ans treating the whole thing like a reality show.  His calling Jeff and telling him he uses the word "ostensibly" too much and the way he said "Girl.." when the woman said she wasn't a lesbian. 

There were some great little throwaway things I liked: I loved the line of carts sliding through the parking lot  in the high winds, the patrons waiting in the check out line in the dark while "final countdown" was playing, the Shopping channel show that just would not stop playing no matter what.  Lisa Rinna sweaters indeed!

And yes Sandra's face when she closed the door on Carole was perfection.  So cold.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

I always knew and liked Fade Into You from when it was in regular rotation on the radio in the 90s, but I didn't discover Into Dust until it was played on The O.C. - amazing song. Embarrassed to admit that.

Nothing to be embarrased about :)  

I am 90%  sure I put it on a mixtape for Mr. Shibbles back before we were married and were all dramatic and moody and such.  Good times!  

Edited by Mrs Shibbles
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I feel bad about how Sandra not letting Carol into the room doesn't bother me. Carol calling Jerry to say that Sandra gave herpes to a bunch of guys was horrible, but leaving her out to die was not a proportionate response. And yet I was still thinking, "close the door, Sandra! Close it!"

Didn't Carol kind of get Jerry at the bar being a b*tch to Sandra to begin with a few episodes back? He was so obviously interested in her. I loved her closing the door. I almost yelled, "Close the door!"

Good episode. I always forget that summer is coming and shows are having their season finales :(

(edited)
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

My one gripe: Yet another example of Hollywood having no idea how tornadoes actually work. Assuming these people have lived in the St. Louis area and/or the midwest most of their lives nobody would panic or freak out over a tornado warning. You turn on the TV and watch the radar to see where it's going. Yeah, if it's heading straight for you, you head for the nearest/best shelter. But nobody would be running around like chickens with their heads cut off. You can track a tornado on radar and watch where it's going. They should have all been glued to the TV. A tornado is not the same thing as a hurricane. Gah.

It was ludicrous that all of them didn't all gather in the photo lab and/or the stock room, but it's necessary to handwave things for the sake of TV. All of them bunched together wouldn't have given us the Jonah/Amy kiss (which may not have happened had they not been so vulnerable in the open store) or the Dina/Garrett stuff or the awesomely terrifying shelves flying everywhere with people hanging onto them. For the sake of drama I'm glad they didn't go for what was the most realistic. Also none of them seemed all that panicked until Dina stoked the fire.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4

Also, I don't think they got much advance warning since there was that scene with the customer who was flipping channels on the display TVs and cycled through three or four channels with weather alerts and then left it on QVC. So it seems like they didn't know until the tornado was almost right on top of them and then they didn't know what to do because they hadn't done any tornado drills in the past. Although, yeah, if they live there, they probably should know, but I live in earthquake country and I can say that no one I know is prepared for those either.

• Love 3
(edited)

It was ludicrous that all of them didn't all gather in the photo lab and/or the stock room, but it's necessary to handwave things for the sake of TV.

What happened to all the customers? Shouldn't their welfare been a focus as well?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

It was ludicrous that all of them didn't all gather in the photo lab and/or the stock room, but it's necessary to handwave things for the sake of TV.

I was not at work the one time we had weather bad enough to invoke a Code...Black, I want to say is severe weather, but the story I heard was that management and associates went around the store telling all customers they needed to come gather in the center of the store, near the fitting room and they made everyone stand there until the warning was lifted. I guess the logic was to be as far interior as possible? So I was kinda bugged by that too, but, hey, TV and all.

6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

There were some great little throwaway things I liked: I loved the line of carts sliding through the parking lot  in the high winds, the patrons waiting in the check out line in the dark while "final countdown" was playing, the Shopping channel show that just would not stop playing no matter what.  Lisa Rinna sweaters

I died laughing at the customers just standing at the register and the one guy who came up to ask Jonah & Amy a product question. My store had a power outage once (not weather related at all, it was because the geniuses building the Kohl's next to us kept managing to screw up our power lines somehow - 3 blackouts that summer) and this one didn't get resolved in the 30-45 minutes that the backup generators will keep the registers going. So they kept as many people on register, to check out as many people as they could before the shutdown and sent all the other associates around the store to round up customers and tell them they needed to check out ASAP. It;s like 8:30 at night, so it's pretty dark in the store, they raided sporting goods for flashlights. My sister rounds a corner in Fabrics & Crafts and tells the lady on the aisle, "Ma'am, you have to go check out now - our registers are going to shut down in about 10 minutes." Lady looks at her, dead serious and says, "I am still shopping" and she just pushed her cart around to the next aisle. Sister follows her, trying to explain, no really, if you don't go check out now, you might not get to buy anything and the woman just keeps declaring she's not done shopping. Sister finally just gave up and moved on. So I absolutely have NO doubt that even a tornado would not faze some dedicated shoppers.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Did anyone catch the name of the six of the short-list?

Chris, Alex, Cody, Justine, Henry and Marcus.

30 minutes ago, bonniejmac said:

I was not at work the one time we had weather bad enough to invoke a Code...Black, I want to say is severe weather, but the story I heard was that management and associates went around the store telling all customers they needed to come gather in the center of the store, near the fitting room and they made everyone stand there until the warning was lifted. I guess the logic was to be as far interior as possible? So I was kinda bugged by that too, but, hey, TV and all.

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was at Target one time when there was a tornado warning. (I live in Iowa).   I had no idea the weather turned bad because I was inside and distracted with my shopping. As soon as the sirens went off, the employees locked their registers and EVERYONE had to go to the back of the store. But since the Cloud 9 employees were all standing at the front entrance when the sirens went off, they should have seen what was coming their way.

Sandra closing the door on Carol was nothing short of awesome!

The tornado and aftermath was so realistic - well done!  I think Brett is long gone...and I'm sure some others as well.  I wanted to hear Dina continue with roll call.  

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

I don't know who they are. :(

Cody is the long haired dude that smokes weed and works in the warehouse.  He was with Mateo under the desk.  Justine is the heavy blonde who drinks too much and was involved in the slut exchange in the episode.  Marcus lost his finger in the deli and is the warehouse supervisor I think.  I'm pretty sure we don't know the others.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I don't know who they are. :(

Chris and Henry are the older gentleman that are shown right after Glenn announces the names.

Cody is the stoner (played by comedian Felipe Esparza)

Justine is the shrimp girl.

Marcus is the annoying warehouse guy.

Alex is shown behind Mateo as they block Glenn's escape - hipster looking guy with a beard.

Did anyone understand what kind of alliance Mateo made with Cody (he mentions it as they are lying under the table, but I didn't understand)?

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, bonniejmac said:

I feel like code black must be the universal code for bad weather. That's what it was where I was. Centre of the store is the worst place for a tornado because if the roof collapses, it collapses on you. You go as close to a wall as possible or a bathroom/enclosed space. Or at least that's what we did! 

5 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

Did anyone understand what kind of alliance Mateo made with Cody (he mentions it as they are lying under the table, but I didn't understand)?

Catholic alliance. Lol

Edited by Keener
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Keener said:

I feel like code black must be the universal code for bad weather. That's what it was where I was. Centre of the store is the worst place for a tornado because if the roof collapses, it collapses on you. You go as close to a wall as possible or a bathroom/enclosed space. Or at least that's what we did! 

Catholic alliance. Lol

I was shopping at a Wal Mart Supercenter once when there was a tornado warning.  My son noticed shopping carts rolling across the parking lot (funny, but not as funny as on TV), and then the warning was announced.  They made us all go to the back of the store and stay until the warning was lifted.  I was so glad my kids and I  didn't die at Wal Mart!

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, mccartygirl said:

Didn't Carol kind of get Jerry at the bar being a b*tch to Sandra to begin with a few episodes back? He was so obviously interested in her. I loved her closing the door. I almost yelled, "Close the door!"

Good episode. I always forget that summer is coming and shows are having their season finales :(

Carol came up to Sandra and Jerry at the bar and mentioned something to Sandra about her boyfriend. So Sandra reluctantly "confessed" to Jerry that she was dating Jeff. Yeah, Carol's the worst. I loved Sandra closing the door on Carol, and also the look nasty Sandra gave her after the storm, when Carol was sitting on the ambulance bay. Sandra was all, "Yeah. Don't mess with me, bitch." 

This time of year is always a little sad. Thank goodness for summer replacements. Even if most of them are bad reality shows. Sometimes you catch a gem. 

19 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Mateo for once made me really laugh throughout the whole episode.  His various alliances ans treating the whole thing like a reality show.  His calling Jeff and telling him he uses the word "ostensibly" too much and the way he said "Girl.." when the woman said she wasn't a lesbian. 

Yes, Mateo was killing it. I usually hate it when gay men use stereotypical, sassy-black-woman lingo, but the way Nico Santos said, "Girl" and looked the woman up and down was absolutely perfect. 

I did notice that his glasses were half-broken during his phone call to Jeff but were perfect again at the end of the episode. Maybe he used a Cloud 9 eyeglass repair kit? 

On 5/4/2017 at 9:22 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

Excellent callback to Cheyenne's green hair thingy! And Dina finding Dave and Buster's coins in her pocket. They all went there for Sandra's birthday.

Also loved Amy picking Cheyenne to be her hug buddy. Those two are sweet.

Loved the callback to the Black Friday episode and Cheyenne's announcements about her missing hair thingy. Which episode did they talk about going to Dave & Buster's? Oh, and Marcus finally had a chance to go out for drinks with his co-workers, something he's been dying to do all season. 

But if Amy and Cheyenne were hug buddies, how did Amy and Jonah end up in the pharmacy together? Speaking of which, I felt really bad for the pharmacy customers who won't be able to pick up their prescriptions. And who will have to explain to their doctors and insurance companies why they need another prescription for their Percocet, or whatever. 

I must admit that I'm an Amy/Jonah (Jamy? Aonah?) shipper and did enjoy their kiss. But I wonder if Amy was admitting to herself that she's attracted to Jonah or if she was merely clinging to someone in the midst of a near-death crisis?

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, topanga said:

Loved the callback to the Black Friday episode and Cheyenne's announcements about her missing hair thingy. Which episode did they talk about going to Dave & Buster's? Oh, and Marcus finally had a chance to go out for drinks with his co-workers, something he's been dying to do all season.

In the Lost and Found episode Sandra talks about having her birthday at Dave and Buster's and in a later episode someone comments on how forgettable Sandra is and then someone, I think Garrett, says something like "Yeah, remember we left her at Dave and Buster's on her birthday?"

• Love 2
On 5/5/2017 at 11:48 AM, BTBAM310 said:

I fell in love with this song after watching the movie "Foxfire" back in 1996, still love it and the entire soundtrack. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, topanga said:

But if Amy and Cheyenne were hug buddies, how did Amy and Jonah end up in the pharmacy together? 

I must admit that I'm an Amy/Jonah (Jamy? Aonah?) shipper and did enjoy their kiss. But I wonder if Amy was admitting to herself that she's attracted to Jonah or if she was merely clinging to someone in the midst of a near-death crisis?

I think Amy and Cheyenne must have separated when they made their phone calls. 

I, too, am an Amy/Jonah shipper (I think it's Jamy), and my heart broke into many little pieces at the look Jonah gave Amy when her family arrived. It broke again when Amy looked back at Jonah. I'm not usually one for angst, and I hope the show doesn't go there regarding their relationship. I don't think they will considering it's a comedy, but one never knows. 

Poor Glenn. Can't he just for once have a nice car? His insurance rates must be killer. 

I'd not heard of "Into Dust" before this episode. Don't know how I missed it all these years. It's beautiful.

I heart this show so much. 

• Love 3