Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E07: What Happened on Exile, Stays on Exile

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Phew, that tribal was heavy. I don’t have any clue what Varner was thinking doing that but he will never live it down. You just can’t out someone like that on national television.

Also, did anyone else notice that whether intentionally or not Ozzy seems to know just how to speak to Debbie. She was reaping praise on him after the challenge and he responded with “it’s all you guys just directing me.” And she was nodding along like a bobble-head. Exact opposite of her reaction to Culpepper.

Go Hali! She was awesome for getting "metamorphous".

Edited by double-elvis
  • Love 15

I've never liked Varner before, but now I really despise him. That's playing with a man's life. I never want to see that ass on my screen again. It's not a game, trans people are threatened all the time in parts of this country. What Varner did is just reprehensible.

Zeke is a hero to me for not going batshit. A fabulous role model. 

• Love 21
14 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

@LadyChatts thanks for sharing that tweet. The cynic in me says dude consulted with some PR people to craft that apology, and in all honesty he probably did. But that's the right way to apologize for the deeply fucked up thing that he did, vs how he reacted in the moment. Not sorry if he offended Zeke and his loved ones, sorry that he offended, explaining why what he did was so awful, checking his privilege, and saying he'll try to do better in the future. 

Of course he did - all the boxes were checked, except for "leave your own self-justification out of it".  As others have said, you don't "expose someone's deception" by telling something "everyone knows" about that person.

Edited by princelina
  • Love 5

Oh and Cirie got to have a confessional about not getting pizza. So she is still around if anybody wondered.  ( And yeah, she sucked up to Culpeeper but even that made her look secondary to Aubry.)

Edited by vb68
  • Love 8

Did Varner say he thought everyone knew?

Yeah he tried that bullshit and that's when Sarah came out of the shock she went into and basically called him out on it by pointing out it made no sense that he claimed he thought they knew yet used it as proof to them that Zeke wasn't being honest.

I think he was absolutely stunned and could not believe it was happening. You could see it in his eyes. Almost like he was having at out of body experience. Gut-wrenching to watch. 

Yeah that's what Jeff more or less said. That he'd watched Zeke since he first played the game and he was always so present and alert and into the game but in that moment he was just checked out. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 16
34 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

There is going to be some serious backlash here and a lot of other places over this tribal.  I agree that people having a knee jerk reaction on places like twitter need to be told there's very little chance they aired this without Zeke's approval - they're not dumb enough to step into that minefield.  But they maybe missed their chance to SAY that - having Jeff pop up at the end to make a statement maybe even give a link to LGBT support services would have been a nice gesture.

TPTB really did miss the boat on that.

They should've had a PSA for the LBGTQ community.

• Love 12

Well, wow. That was a tribal first. 

It was a tribal low, what someone would do just to not be voted out. 

I had no idea Zeke was transgender. I actually like him even more for not wanting to play the "Survivor's 1st Transgender" player card like how Big Brother did with Audrey (which was a horrible decision all around). 

I liked that everyone was so horrified they didn't even need to go vote. The second Varner outed Zeke as transgender that wasn't a game anymore.

Like was he planning on fighting and making a case for himself at all?

I think he was, but he didn't need to. I kind of was amused of him sitting there mute, because that's all he needed to do. Just let Varner keep talking.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 12

No words for what Varner did. Despicable doesn't even begin to describe it. What he did reveals more about himself than it does about Zeke - that to be transgender (to him) is amoral, deceptive, unworthy. Just vile. 

It was ugly to watch but Zeke was incredibly gracious and poised. He handled himself so well. Same with the rest of his tribe - Ozzy and Sarah were especially articulate about why what Varner did was completely unacceptable. Good on Sarah for using the word malicious, that's exactly what he was.

I also though Jeff Probst handled it as well as he could. He was tough on Varner and pointed out his hypocrisies. He was compassionate to Zeke without patronizing him. 

What an uncomfortable episode to watch.

• Love 23
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Did Varner say he thought everyone knew?

Yeah he tried that bullshit and that's when Sarah came out of the shock she went into and basically called him out on it by pointing out it made no sense that he claimed he thought they knew yet used it as proof to them that Zeke wasn't being honest.

And last week she was the one who called out Sandra as "grooming," them.  She's quite the fine little bullshit detector.

I hated Varner's self-serving twitter apology.  No, Varner, we aren't all grateful to you for your example of how not to be.  I think he should seriously consider moving to another country.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I think he was, but he didn't need to. I kind of was amused of him sitting there mute, because that's all he needed to do. Just like Varner keep talking.

Yeah. Ozzy didn't even need to hand Varner the rope.

• Love 3

Tonight on a very special episode of SURVIVOR....

I knew something was up when there was tribal council at just past the half hour mark. Wasn't expecting that.

If I can be honest I actually feel some sympathy for Varner. If I may speak for all eight billion of us on the planet....is there really anyone of us who once in their life haven't said something so totally untoward you would give anything to take it back? For Varner though he did it on TV magnifying it beyond all measure.

So let's play this out. Say Zeke DID NOT give the okay to air the TC. Would they have showed the footage right up until he started making a pitch to get Ozzie out and then staged it (like the moon landing...just kidding) and did a fake vote where Jeff would be voted out?

Moving away from the controversy....I am worried about my favorite Michaela....from all evidence on screen she doesn't seem to be bonding with ANYONE and that will make her an easy mark when its convienent to dispose of her....though I did enjoy seeing her swoop Haley up in the air at the moment of victory. That was my favorite part of the episode. You'll notice she was left out of Culpeppers group of favorites.

True or false. Aubrey is the one that walked around naked from the waist down in her season? If that's the whole reason they brought her back for further shenanigans the producers must be sorely dispointed at her failure to produce. Wasted slot friends.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE CLEARING UP IT WAS SHARIN not AUBREY. STILL SEEMS LIKE A WASTED SLOT THOUGH.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 14
Just now, North of Eden said:

True or false. Aubrey is the one that walked around naked from the waist down in her season? If that's the whole reason they brought her back for further shenanigans the producers must be sorely dispointed at her failure to produce. Wasted slot friends

False: that was Shirin in Worlds Apart.

42 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Here's Varner's twitter response.

"I recklessly revealed something I mistakenly believed everyone already knew"

Bullshit

I don't care if all of Zeke's family, friends and acquaintances already knew  

Varner knew that those other 5 people at tribal council didn't know.  He knew damn well it wasn't his place to tell them.

He had to know that there were millions of viewers who didn't know. He knew damn well it wasn't his place to tell us. 

The rest of Varner's apology is meaningless to me when it follows such obvious bullshit.  Luckily for Varner, Zeke is apparently a better and more forgiving person than I would be. 

Edited by EVS
To distinguish between Varner and Probst
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, North of Eden said:

Tonight on a very special episode of SURVIVOR....

I knew something was up when there was tribal council at just past the half hour mark. Wasn't expecting that.

If I can be honest I actually feel some sympathy for Varner. If I may speak for all eight billion of us on the planet....is there really anyone of us who once in their life haven't said something so totally untoward you would give anything to take it back? For Varner though he did it on TV magnifying it beyond all measure.

Moving away from the controversy....I am worried about my favorite Michaela....from all evidence on screen she doesn't seem to be bonding with ANYONE and that will make her an easy mark when its convienent to dispose of her....though I did enjoy seeing her swoop Haley up in the air at the moment of victory. That was my favorite part of the episode. You'll notice she was left out of Culpeppers ground of favorites.

True or false. Aubrey is the one that walked around naked from the waist down in her season? If that's the whole reason they brought her back for further shenanigans the producers must be sorely dispointed at her failure to produce. Wasted slot friends.

I think TPTB should have talked him out of it.  I know they aren't 'supposed' to intervene, but if he said this in a TH somewhere, they should have really set him straight on why this is a bad idea.  We know they prod for info anyway.  Why not say 'think this through'.

I worry about Michaela, too.  I don't know if she's just really off putting, or being the new kid on the block that no one wants to work with her.  

I still think Tai is the worst casting choice this season, surpassing Sierra.  I didn't think I hated KR that much to have liked Tai during it.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

False: that was Shirin in Worlds Apart.

Thanks! Shirin...right the one that the Cliff Claven postal guy was her arch enemy....oh, no..that was the guy that said she had no soul. I'm getting these people all mixed up!

1 minute ago, ptuscadero said:

Well, in other news, I see the Real Eyebrows have finally made an appearance.

Just now, cooksdelight said:

I noticed that too, it was like waiting for the late guest that is always the life of the party.

Yes! There was even a closeup! It was like the editors just knew we were waiting for them to make an appearance. 

• Love 7

A thought: Blaming Jeff may be because Varner may have discussed this with a "associate producer " who clued Jeff in. IF this is the case I can see them finding a way to minimize damage without airing this painful episode.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Moving away from the controversy....I am worried about my favorite Michaela....from all evidence on screen she doesn't seem to be bonding with ANYONE and that will make her an easy mark when its convienent to dispose of her....though I did enjoy seeing her swoop Haley up in the air at the moment of victory. That was my favorite part of the episode. You'll notice she was left out of Culpeppers group of favorites.

Yeah I loved that! I am very sad to see Hali and Michaela being on the outs on that tribe though they could be an enviable position if we get a situation where the two main alliances try to pick each other off and those two are left standing in the middle.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Dust Bunny said:

I deleted the show from my DVR a few days ago, after finding out they really did eat a goat (per a Sandra interview).

I'd like to take you to the West Side Market in Cleveland and show you what else people actually eat.

• Love 5

im watching this via  DVR - and promptly fast forwarded at tribal council since I was reading comments along the way. Outing on national tv is not something I need to watch.  Trans is not a body 'situation' ( can't think of an appropriate word) I totally understand about - the brain chemistry vs genetics  - but I don't have to understand the basis for it to  be accepting of people and to mind my own business.  I expect people to do the same with my particular situations.  Varner should know better.  

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, sadiegirl1999 said:

I never see the commercials prior to episodes.

PLEASE tell me they didn't hype this as "the most shocking TC ever"

I do not recall the promos, but I didn't recall seeing anything like that and was pleasantly shocked in retrospect.

• Love 4

Boy Varner had a shot there until he kept talking and just shoved his foot in his mouth up to his calf.  Omg that was awful.  I'm sure the vast majority of people had no idea and frankly didn't care a bit. It's one thing to 'out' Zeke's gameplay, but personal life is totally off limits.  

I cant imagine what he was thinking, or how he thought it would help.  Can't argue with Probst that there was no need to vote after that. I doubt Varner  will get another shot at making the jury.

In other episode news, I can't believe Debbie kept quiet about exile.  And those pizzas looked great.  Fantastic reward.  Ozzy is so good at swimming, but I was surprised Zeke wasn't doing the puzzle.

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

He really is aqua man!

My daughter kept saying, "he is majestic!" It was quite the comparison watching him gracefully dive in the water and the Culpepper plop off the raft.

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, Thumper82003 said:

A thought: Blaming Jeff may be because Varner may have discussed this with a "associate producer " who clued Jeff in. IF this is the case I can see them finding a way to minimize damage without airing this painful episode.

Wait...what? The associate producer outed Zeke to Varner? Or Varner asked and the associate producer confirmed it (again, outing Zeke to Varner)?

That would simultaneously shock me and yet, I would not be the least bit surprised.

3 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Wait...what? The associate producer outed Zeke to Varner? Or Varner asked and the associate producer confirmed it (again, outing Zeke to Varner)?

That would simultaneously shock me and yet, I would not be the least bit surprised.

Not to speak for the original poster but I think they were saying that in one of Varner's interviews with a producer where he talks about his ideas and whatnot, he may have mentioned that he was going to talk about Zeke, and the producer may have taken that info back to Probst.

So if Probst knew ahead of time, perhaps they could have headed off the damage and kept it from the home audience.

Not saying at all that's what happened, but that could be what other people who are blaming Probst for this are thinking.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

And boy are they working overtime to make sure Culpepper has a positive edit.

Seriously. I'm so confused by this. Someone remind me why I hated him so much in his first season. I'm not being facetious, I remember that I absolutely loathed him but I genuinely can't remember why. Can someone jog my memory? He just seems like a loveable goof this season. 

• Love 9

Obviously, Varner planned on outting him. There was intent beforehand. It wasn't something that just came out of his mouth. I'm still not sure how he expected the others to react. Did he think they would all jump up and say Zeke, you are awful! We are voting you out. I sorta wished that Zeke didn't hug him and say it was alright. I just read an interview with Zeke where he said he wished he hadn't hugged him either. He was trying to send Varner a message that he was the bigger man but time has passed and I think he regrets the hug of forgiveness.

• Love 10

Zeke, never say do whatever you want to do with this information.

I wonder how good Fijian pizza is.

Ugh, shut it, Culpeper.  Nobody cares. Though Aubry fell for his fake tears.

Varner, you are a total douche. He is an evil, hateful person. Even Probst was horrified. Some of Varner's best friends are trans, huh?

People need to stop comforting Varner.  He's a horrible person and needs to live with that.

Probst basically kicked him out.  Good.

I wonder why Ozzy said nothing throughout that whole TC.

I wonder if they're gong to tell the other tribe.

Heh.  I just got a breaking news alert from the New York Times on my cell phone about Zeke.

2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

That said, Jeff and the producers could have chosen not to air the outing.

They still would have to explain why Varner was gone without a vote.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Seriously. I'm so confused by this. Someone remind me why I hated him so much in his first season. I'm not being facetious, I remember that I absolutely loathed him but I genuinely can't remember why. Can someone jog my memory? He just seems like a loveable goof this season. 

He wa speaking for Monica a lot which annoyed everyone. Also, he basically "made her" throw the clue advantage in the fire. He didn't make the merge or jury what viewers remember is very little. Now, he's getting a great edit and seems likable to us the viewers and his fellow tribe mates. Maybe, a winner or the Final 3?!?!?

3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Zeke, never say do whatever you want to do with this information.

I wonder how good Fijian pizza is.

Ugh, shut it, Culpeper.  Nobody cares. Though Aubry fell for his fake tears.

Varner, you are a total douche. He is an evil, hateful person. Even Probst was horrified. Some of Varner's best friends are trans, huh?

People need to stop comforting Varner.  He's a horrible person and needs to live with that.

Probst basically kicked him out.  Good.

I wonder why Ozzy said nothing throughout that whole TC.

I wonder if they're gong to tell the other tribe.

Heh.  I just got a breaking news alert from the New York Times on my cell phone about Zeke.

I never thought about the jury edit until RHAP discussed it. You have to show it because you can't show A through Z without showing in between. You have to show why Varner was voted out.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Someone said upthread that could've just said Varner had to leave for personal reasons.

I mean, it wouldn't have been a lie.

• Love 6

What the hell was he thinking???   The whole episode I was hoping he would stay, and by the end I couldn't wait for him to leave. Did he somehow think that Zeke was out to the world but not to the five other people on the tribe? That doesn't even make sense, nor should it matter anyway.   And he's not some ignorant dumbass either....he knows better. He fights for LGBT rights and yet still went there. I'm utterly gobsmacked by what happened. 

Also, I was annoyed at how everyone made it about them. Even Sarah, who was so heartfelt, made it about her personal growth. And Varner saying  he'd be Zekes biggest cheerleader was nauseating and Im glad Zeke shut it down

glad to see the tribe forcefully condemn Varner. If this had been the Kyle Jason season, that's not what would have happened.

• Love 16