Type keyword(s) to search

S34.E07: What Happened on Exile, Stays on Exile

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I don't think Cochran would be let down if Debbie talked about Exile. But it's smart for her to keep her mouth shut.

What gets me is how well people are dressing and how clean clothes have been. It's day 15/16 - people should be a little grubby by now. Well, now that I'm seeing them in daylight I see some wear and tear. This is a reward challenge made for Bench!! Too bad he can't be here to show his prowess on the Survivor court! And his best friend Bounty would be cheering for him. I'm sure Tai will miss a basket in his honor.

• Love 1

I miss the days when one slice of pizza was the reward.  And I know I sound like a broken record, but I really wish they'd get a new challenge department.

I've come to realize that whenever a team has a lead, they usually blow it (unless it is too far out in front).  I wonder if NuNuNuku threw that on purpose.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 9

Okay, as bizarre and unfunny as I think Debbie is, I did chuckle at something she said when they got back to camp after tribal council—when she told them that there wasn’t even flint at Exile Island.  Hey, it wasn’t a lie, there wasn’t flint!  ?

I really liked the bonding going on over at Mana after they lost the reward challenge.  There was no strategizing going on, no blaming someone over who cost them the challenge…just a shared moment between people who are at a low point.  So when Aubry says that she feels Culpepper is being genuine, we see something that makes us understand why she might say that.  In modern Survivor editing, how often do we get a statement like that made after a strategy session, which is when people are at their least genuine?

• Love 15

I hate saying it, but getting rid of Ozzy when you know the merge is coming is a better bet than Varner or Zeke.  Even if you think he's a good shield, how long will he last?  He's gone as soon as he loses a challenge.

• Love 3

I love pizza SO BIG.  But I don't think pizza that looks like it was made of brown paper bags would be my favorite.

Oh no.  Culpepper got to Aubrey and Cirie.  Don't fall for it ladies!

Editors seriously!  How do you keep failing at building any kind of suspense?

Buncha losers wasting beautiful Ozzy's efforts in a water challenge.

For some reason on Twitter before the ep Eliza said she knew what happened in this episode and wondered if she should watch tonight or in the morning and then some other guy was asking about Zeke and I was thinking people just need to keep these things to themselves...

And then holy shit I guess they weren't kidding what the fuck Varner?  And to think that I liked you.  That has no fucking thing to do with the game!

I was mad at you Zeke but I'm over it.  I got your back.  His face was just too much for me to bear I could feel his pain through my TV screen.

• Love 21

Wow is all I have right now. Give me a few minutes to process. Question, did any viewer here know Zeke was transgender before this episode?

That said, Jeff and the producers could have chosen not to air the outing.

I have a feeling a lot of discussion happened with Zeke and the producers. The thing is, it would have been difficult to completely edit it out because it would have raised a lot of questions and speculation. 

I think it's pretty clear that the group was heavily leaning towards voting out Ozzy. If they suddenly switched for no reason and explanation, it would have been strange. I mean I guess they could have just made it seem like a blindside but again they ended up not even voting. That would have made people question and wonder.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 18

OK,

a) that was uncomfortable to watch

b) Jeff, you're talk show was cancelled.  Stop trying to revive it at Tribal Council. 

c) Jeff, if you were really that concerned about being outed you could have edited it out--you're a Producer (I suppose I should give him the benefit of the doubt and they asked Zeke and he said it was ok).

d) Varner has either ensured that's his last Survivor outing or has made himself a lock for Survivor: Redemption (no Island).

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 11

Debbie will be the first one over the wall! Go Debbie! Now she's the first through the net!! Culpepper's striped shorts just couldn't do the job for Mana. But they have nice clamshell bowls. (Pizza does sound good right now. I used to order pizza on Survivor night.) I don't see how they can complain about Survivor: Country Club season. But I guess I don't realize what they go through or else I'd be crying, too. Michaela: I'm bored, quit the whining, who cares, as she flips sand.

Brad opens up!! The country of Fiji declares Brad Culpepper Day. Cirie and Aubry thank him for behaving like a normal human being. Now is Aubry allying with the wrong side again? Actually I didn't really watch his first season - have no memory of him, so I guess I like him in a whatever way. What's with Varner and snakes? The last two times he's spoken we see a snake afterwards. Here's Sarah, playing like a criminal! You can almost see her in a black and white striped outfit. She barely tolerated Varner's hug. (Don't knock flutes, Buick commercial!)

That looks like a hard word to figure out because you wouldn't really connect it with Survivor. It's he-man vs. he-man, Ozzie & Culpepper. Oh, oh, Culpepper and his striped shorts are blowing it. Nuku really depends on Ozzie to win their challenges. I guess they'll hang onto him until the merge.  Now can they lay the buoys out flat on the raft and figure it out first, or do they have to figure it out vertically? (Looks like it must be done vertically.) Nuku is way off. Oh, Varner, you will never shine at cryptograms. "Shipwreck" and "troopmaster" indeed. Go, Mana!  Way to get ahead!! Varner: Oh, no, another tribal council! I'm so over tribal.

OK Debbie, mastermind strategizing with the criminal. Maybe Varner will be voted out for his green necktie. I don't know why Zeke looks more vulnerable here than he did last season. I guess I'm confused. Is Zeke really allying with Ozzie or is Jeff just blowing smoke? Boy, Varner is feisty. Debbie is acting sane today. Cochran must have slipped her some sanity pills.

Zeke and Ozzie: secret alliance? Huh? Jeff is starting to sound like The Music Man: there's trouble in River City! Jeff, that was low! No wonder we saw snakes each time Jeff spoke. Jeff, too late to worry about deception. He's doomed. Poor Zeke, stunned and disillusioned. He's recovering. He sounds like he's making a final jury speech. I guess "metamorphosis" is the new word this season like "evolution" was last season. Varner had a chance, but he really blew it.

• Love 9

I wondered what was going to happen at TC when it started at 7:40. That sucked that Varner outed Zeke the way he did. And it wasn't a spur of the moment decision, he thought about outing Zeke for awhile, he was trying to save his ass. Didn't work, and bye you're gone. 

• Love 20

I cannot begin to express my rage at Varner’s outing of Zeke.  I just can't.  And I wish I could talk about my rage about the fact that Survivor is airing this, because they've now become complicit in Zeke being outed, but I don't know how they could have avoided it since it became the focal point of the tribal council.

• Love 19

Yeah, some people on twitter are fired up at the show for airing this publicly.  I have to think they got the okay from Zeke.  They didn't out him as trans last season and respected that, as much as I'm sure they would have loved to brag about having the first trans Survivor contestant.  Publicly outing someone to millions can have serious consequences.  I hope they considered that.

• Love 22

That was despicable. Probably the worst thing I've seen on Survivor, both Varner's declaration and the fact it wasn't edited out. They all should be ashamed.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Wow is all I have right now. Give me a few minutes to process. Question, did any viewer here know Zeke was transgender before this episode?

Yeah, I knew. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

On Sucks last season, they were the first ones to discover it I think.  I thought they were kidding at first, but then they posted actual articles of Zeke's transition while at Harvard.

I didn't think any TC could be worse than Will vs Shirin.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 14

I was worried about Michaela when Culpepper's pathetic bawling won over a couple of the ladies and he mentioned wanting to work with every tribe member except Michaela.  Thank goodness Cirie, Michaela and Hali aced the puzzle.

• Love 15

Holy fuck.., my original posting was going to be about those crying, despicable "FIRST WORLD" bastards, saying how hard life it is for them to play this freaking game. How about those that live under the oppression of  murderous regimes all throughout the world or those domestically who live in gang related war zones and have no hope for jobs, a better life, etc.  I can go on and on.., "F" them.

But then Varner represented himself as someone who would sell their soul to satan himself to move forward in a game.  Man I cannot ever see him recover from this.

I hate these people.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

On Sucks last season, they were the first ones to discover it I think.  I thought they were kidding at first, but then they posted actual articles of Zeke's transition while at Harvard.

Okay, thanks.

Well, Varner has ruined his reputation with regard to viewers of this show. I strongly suspect he'll never be invited back. And that's his own fault. I'm not sorry for him.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Thanks for the laugh. It was much needed. But I have to say, possibly unpopular opinion, I thought Jeff handled that pretty well actually. That was a tough situation to navigate. 

See to me it felt like he was egging it on, trying to prod the conversation like you would do in a talk show setting.

• Love 4

Zeke was so chill but I was an Andrea during that exchange.  Like my heart is still in my throat.

What Varner did may be the worst thing ever done on this show.  I mean, other than Rich and Sue.

• Love 21

Varner's action was despicable...that was information that was not his to disclose. And his lame, "I have friends who are trans"...truly made me cringe. Zeke chose to be gracious, but to do what Varner did in pursuit of money is just loathsome. Varner has outed himself...as hateful, and a true snake.

• Love 16

I'll tell you this episode kind of changed me. I feel kind of like Sarah?   She gave a great speech on how I felt.  Ignorant before, more educated now?  Other than that I don't know what to say.  Wow.  I say this is the best show on television, and now for this reason, which is different and I feel bad because obviously it was 100% not Zeke's choice and that's bullshit.  Jeff Probst handled it....well as he could I guess??  Curious to read what others think.  Jeez.

• Love 22

Varner took it way outside the game. I was never a fan of his but I never thought he was despicable. Well, guess he proved me wrong. Now I'm happy that he played 3 times and has yet to make jury.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Well, Varner has ruined his reputation with regard to viewers of this show. I strongly suspect he'll never be invited back. And that's his own fault. I'm not sorry for him.

I don't think he was going to be invited back, anyway, but this solidified it.  Zeke will probably definitely get a third chance, if he takes it.  Too bad that his Survivor legacy will likely be summed up in this moment.

Did Varner say he thought everyone knew?  

• Love 4

Not to be cynical, but as despicable as what Varner did was, it could help Zeke with the jury if he makes it to the end, especially given how well Zeke handled it.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 24
31 minutes ago, vb68 said:

This so much. And wasn't he one of those beloved older generation players? So much for that. I know Varner was desperate but how did he really think that was going to work? Like the players would really go, "oh you're transgender and didn't tell us so clearly we can't trust you and must side with Varner now"? I mean come on.

The worse part is I think his putting the possible secret Ozzy/Zeke alliance in Andrea and Sarah's head more than did the job to sway them. But he was so desperate that he just didn't think at all.  But I applaud the players' reactions. Andrea and Tai just flipped out on him. That might have been the most coherent Tai has ever been on this show. Ozzy continued to sit silently until his one moment of calling him out.

Seriously, my only amusement in what was a very difficult tribal council to watch was Ozzy's sitting there mute when his name is basically called out as clearly being on the chopping block. Like was he planning on fighting and making a case for himself at all?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 16