Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: What Will We Do This Time About Adam?

(edited)

All three of those self-centered immature other girls pitching in to help wouldn't add up to the help of one whole  responsible person.

Edited by TomGirl
  • Love 12
15 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I must be the only one who doesn't care for Shosh, so I got a kick over her bemused indignation when Ray and Abigail formed a connection right in front of her.

Right here with you TomGirl. I still don't understand how she is one of the "Girls" ?????

• Love 1

Adam always scared me.  He's always been weird and he's always had a short fuse, and the thing he did to Natalia was all kinds of messed up.  Moving Mimi Rose into the apartment two minutes after they started dating wasn't much better.  Hannah is much better off without him.  I never liked the character or thought he was endearing, ever.

• Love 8

I don't like that it went from Adam's proposal over the ice pops to them in bed, I just wish we had seen more of what drew them back together, like a kiss. 

The Dangerous Woman scene was pretty good--ordering a seltzer just to put out her cigarette and picking up a guy at the bar with just a glance. But I was confused if she imagined him coming in the bathroom because she had taken off her mohair top--then she put it back on to cry? 

Yeah how did they do that belly? That was kind of impressive.

• Love 8
(edited)

Rewatched the back half of the episode. You see by the time they're in the store (post-sex) that they're both already halfway faking it. In the diner the whole thing just sort of pops like a soap bubble. I don't think it was the marriage proposal (Hannah countered with something about a food co-op, didn't she?); I think they both just realized that it would never work and they had been in a temporary, shared hallucination. Then they realized they were never getting married or joining a food co-op, because they just weren't.

Jessa and pregnancy: doesn't she say, in maybe the pilot episode, that she wants to have a lot of kids by different fathers and thinks she'd be a great mother? (This does not mean I want her anywhere near children, just saying they put it out there from the start.)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 8
(edited)

I agree with most of the posts here.  But to me Hannah's Diner melt-down meant one more thing - once the baby is born, she will have finally, irreversibly entered into true adulthood/parenthood and everything it entails (picking out preschools, joining the Park Slope Food Co-Op, and attending PTA meetings).  Adam's marriage proposal focused her attention on that reality - she's about to be the first of the "Girls" to enter real adulthood by becoming almost fully responsible for another, dependent human being for at least 18 years.  For someone who has basically been playing at being an adult (as so many of us did in our early-to-mid 20s), the concept has to be overwhelming, to say the least.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
grammar
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Rewatched the back half of the episode. You see by the time they're in the store (post-sex) that they're both already halfway faking it. In the diner the whole thing just sort of pops like a soap bubble. I don't think it was the marriage proposal (Hannah countered with something about a food co-op, didn't she?); I think they both just realized that it would never work and they had been in a temporary, shared hallucination. Then they realized they were never getting married or joining a food co-op, because they just weren't.

I get that this is a poetic way to go at it.  But setting aside that it was unclear for some significant portion of the audience (a greater percentage than are willing to raise their hands and admit it, surely), one of the biggest sticking points there for me is that Adam stepped up, sold it right from the beginning, as a sort of "white knight" deal: he was going to help her raise the baby.  They had just gone shopping for stuff, and in the park she talked about how she was scared and he reassured her.

Adam in the first season was not someone I ascribed a lot of morality to.  I found him borderline repulsive.  But over time he has created an impression of someone who would not make an offer like this, not provide this kind of reassurance to someone he cares about and who is so vulnerable, and then break it off unless he was sure that's what she wanted.  Or even if he felt practically telepathically certain about it, I feel like he would feel honor-bound to keep giving lip service to his commitment until she very forcefully and explicitly said "no, I changed my mind--I don't want this".  Do you see what I mean?  It's a lot different from just a relationship thing, to renege on a commitment like that.

• Love 6

I think this episode was supposed to feel off and unnatural. It represented how adam and Hannah being together just doesn't feel right anymore even though you think it should. At least that's how I interpreted it.

i thought the diner scene when they realized it was really well done.

• Love 11

I have to say this episode would have felt much more realistic if only Fran and Patrick Wilson had shown up to tell Hannah that they really want to be a father to her baby. I mean, seriously, just 3 men?! Most single pregnant damsels have at least 5 princes lining up to rescue them! --TOTAL EYEROLL!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, UGAmp said:

This last season is a real head scratcher for me. I feel like the writers just pinned characters and storylines on a board and threw darts at them to create plots. It's hard to believe this is the last season and this is how the show will end with rushed plots and half-hearted storylines. And watching the ATE, they are explaining things they are not demostrsted in the episodes at all in my opinion. 

I know others are praising Lena's acting in the diner scene but her crying face takes me completely out of the moment. Same thing happened last week when she cried after the phone call to the baby's father. She quivers her lip and it just drives me nuts. I think someone praised her crying face once and now she does that every dang time and it seems very practiced and calculated. Not natural. But maybe it's just me. 

Like @Giesela I don't get all the Jessa hate either. And her breakdown in the bathroom made me a little emotional. I think she truly cares for Adam. And might be pregnant with his baby? That's how I saw it and a comment by Lena in the ATE maybe confirmed it?

I felt the same about the episode and Lena's strange crying schtick. This episode, this whole season actually, has been put together with sticks and spit. 

But I have to disagree about Jessa. Her heart may have started beating recently but she is still guilty of being a certifiable asshole. Hannah left her boyfriend in her apartment and returned to find he was in another relationship and Jessa unapologetically set it up. What is that? Who does that to their bff? If that wasn't bad enough, Jessa started sleeping with the ex. It's just so far beyond disloyal its actually ridiculous. I'm sure they'll try to salvage this trainwreck and put Jessa and Hannah on the road to recovering their friendship and Adam playing some weird uncle role to Hannah's baby, but in reality, it would be so over. The only way for the girls to truly recover from this is for Jessa to give him up and apologize, and for Adam to fade away entirely. 

4 hours ago, LuciaMia said:

Jessa doesn't seem like the plain white underwear type. And Id swear that was Willem Dafoe in the bar scene.

Ha! I thought so too! Very unattractive. Kind of a rapey, STD vibe about that one.

• Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, jenh526 said:

But I have to disagree about Jessa. Her heart may have started beating recently but she is still guilty of being a certifiable asshole. Hannah left her boyfriend in her apartment and returned to find he was in another relationship and Jessa unapologetically set it up. What is that? Who does that to their bff? If that wasn't bad enough, Jessa started sleeping with the ex. It's just so far beyond disloyal its actually ridiculous. I'm sure they'll try to salvage this trainwreck and put Jessa and Hannah on the road to recovering their friendship and Adam playing some weird uncle role to Hannah's baby, but in reality, it would be so over. The only way for the girls to truly recover from this is for Jessa to give him up and apologize, and for Adam to fade away entirely. 

Yeah, in my reality it would be. There are just lines you do not cross if you're going to be considered a true friend and/or family member. I mean who needs friends like Jessa when enemies will do just fine for the shit she pulled on Hannah. I actually forgot about how she set it up for Adam to get with that Mimi Rose girl so she could get with her boyfriend. How could I forget?  I think because I'm just over Jessa and all of these so called friendships period. I'm not buying them. Yes you get into arguments, yes feelings get hurt, but these lines being crossed are trust lines and that's it IMO. If you don't have trust, if I can't even trust you not to purposely try to hurt me, then there is no point. It's not a real friendship to me, let alone a close one, Hannah was right in saying she didn't think they were ever truly friends. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 9

This episode was weird and disjointed, but on the plus side it was nice to see Shoshanna didn't just go upstairs never to return.

Count me in the minority who doesn't understand the Jessa Hate. I think for a so-called progressive show, they're setting up this weird Madonna/Whore thing with Hannah and Jessa that doesn't work at. all. In fact, I find Jessa more tolerable than Hannah, especially over the past two seasons. Her bathroom scene was more emotional than I thought it would be. The show went to a weird 90s teen soap place there, but it was affecting. Jemima Kirke is a better actress than she gets credit for, and the scene where she looked at Neck Tattoo while standing in the window was quietly moving. She had a look of grim determination that I thought was subtle, but moving. I love "Dangerous Woman" by Ariana Grande (the song they were playing during that whole thing) and it fit the scene in an unexpected way. Coincidentally, I listened to that song today (before I saw the episode).

Part of the reason this show seems off is because it relies on the inherent intrigue of Hannah Horvath and Lena Dunham's acting. The problem is I don't find Hannah to be particularly interesting and Lena isn't a great actress. Hannah is annoying and a pain in the ass. I kind of wish the show devoted more time to the other Sailor Scouts instead of Serena and Luna in their drab apartment. It's not the interesting.

I'm glad there are only two episodes left so I don't have to see Ray and Abigail become a thing. I will say their ferris wheel kiss was nice because it seemed like something Alex Karpovsky improv'd.

Hannah and Adam realizing they're not meant for each other was stupid. I agree with the person above who said we could've used some dialogue to communicate that. Hannah just crying for no reason didn't do it for me. Adam leaving Jessa to help her raise her baby was stupid and weird too. The fact that they wound up back in bed together was stupid and weird too. And, after six seasons, I think I finally realized that Adam Driver has a long torso and kind of short legs.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Pallas said:

The moment where we allow ourselves to know what we know: it will not happen. This thing I want so much? It will not happen. It's not how the story goes. This is not what will be. It's like coming out of the forest, in a fairy tale.

With Hannah, it happened in the cool of the night in the diner. Hannah stares at the man she loves and knows she will not live with, will not raise a child with -- will someday, forget to love -- and Lena's face was the picture of that discovery. And as you say, chocolatine, to see Adam prove how close he and Hannah came as he grasped it and then, no more willing than she, stepped all the way down to join her in the tundra of the new landscape, and spoke from there. "So what are your plans for the rest of the evening." Meaning, Well. Since you brought it up. So how will we do the rest of our lives.  

This is just beautifully written, Pallas. Your first paragraph makes me want to cry.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I think what he was offering her was exactly what she wanted, it's just that the pain of her past with him, specifically the Mimi Rose and then Jessa situations, caught up to her, and she broke down. thus the tears. I thought Lena did a great job of conveying those emotions, it was painful to watch if you've ever been in the same boat.

Great acting all around.

Painful is right, and poignant. What I saw in Hannah/Lena was what I realized I'd felt in the same situation, right down to the proposal from the much-beloved, long-estranged. 

7 hours ago, stagmania said:

Adam came to her and said exactly what she was desperate to hear, so she just kind of went along with it and they fell into their familiar patterns without giving it much thought.

That's the key, Adam's "offering her exactly what she wanted," and saying "exactly what she was desperate to hear." And I think that then, Hannah was freed from what DianeDobbler has previously described as Hannah's will and drive, her unambiguous commitment to what she wants, right then. But as Hannah sat with Adam in the diner, she was freed from what she wanted from him. It must have felt like breathing with her skin: breathing, finally, from the outside-in. 

Not wanting anything from Adam, Hannah was able to take him in, as he was, with her. It wasn't at all what she'd said to Jessa: "I just don't care." She cared again. She saw the man who got her and who missed her; who took care of her, and took from her, and always would. If she let him take care of her child, he'd take more of that child than she wanted to give. What she felt was compassion. Compassion for how she'd gotten him wrong ("You thought I wasn't into what -- love?") but how together, they'd never get it right; compassion for how he'd tried, along with her; compassion for what came before, and what must come next. "If it hurts, you'll remember." 

• Love 8

I didnt expect Abigail to be such a deep person though, she seemed so stupid the previous season, kind of like that chubby woman on Millionaire Matchmaker who lived in a Hello Kitty world. 

Dude! This is such an obscure reference that I freaking remember perfectly. That's EXACTLY who Abigail acts like. That lady was creepy and she picked a dude who seemed like a douche and she wanted to buy him a motorcycle, because of course she did.

• Love 2

I thought Abigail was a joke until I realized Ray was supposed to be into her. That just did not work at all for me. 

When Jessa went in the bar, I thought she was there to score some dope from that loser, not sex. Surprised she hasn't relapsed. 

Generally I am really disappointed in this whole season. It looks like it's going to be just another show about women and their relationships with the men. I know, there are also friendship issues, identity crap, jobs, career, dreams of fame and fortune, disappointments, differentiating from parents... all that too, but really when you get down to it, what she's doing this season is pairing up the couples (or breaking them apart). Toss the baby thing in there and it's even more disappointing. Jesus, it's as tired and predictable as having Elijah go to Broadway. There are 900 million shows on TV about young women being forced to grow up when they get pregnant. There are exactly 0 shows on TV about women who go to the Iowa Writer's Workshop. 

• Love 5

I like Ray and Abigail together.  I like the fact that Ray finally met a woman closer to his age who seems into him.  I also like the fact that Abigail isn't conventionally attractive like Marnie, but is able to offer Ray so much more in a relationship.  I don't care if she's a little goofy, she's good for Ray, and I want Ray to grow and have a happy ending.  The only thing that would be better is if image-obsessed, bitchy Marnie could see the two of them together and lose her shit, lol.

I think Hannah realized she and Adam just weren't in love when he brought up marriage in that dry, matter-of-fact way, and Hannah has always wanted love and kids and all those conventional things people her age tell themselves and the world they don't want.  She told Elijah exactly that in an early episode, and even though they were both doing coke, I believe she was telling the truth.  She couldn't just marry and co-parent with a man she didn't love just so things would be easier for her, she wants something better than that.  I thought it was well done.

I have no idea where Jessa is going.  I know that if my boyfriend told me he had to see if he could rekindle things with his pregnant ex so he could help raise her baby, I wouldn't just let him back in when he came back at the end of the day because it didn't work out.  However, Jessa is a pretty fucked up person, so who the hell knows what goes into her decision making?  Maybe to her, it makes perfect sense.

• Love 8
(edited)
22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Lena: There's a part of everyone that did kind of want Adam and Hanna to - it's a real love story.
Me: NO.

Inside the episode:

Um.. what?!?! It's.. not a love story. Not anymore. Listen as a person who kind of likes dysfunctional romances on tv if there's actual substance throughout.. there isn't one with Adam and Hannah anymore. There stopped being one when he started living with another woman in his ex girlfriends(who btw he didn't break up with) apartment and then after doing all this tried to get her back and then started moving in on her close friend. It's.. not a love story after this.

And don't even get me started on the Jessa of the whole thing. Considering she orchestrated Adam getting together with Mimi Rose so she could date Mimi Roses ex boyfriend. And then she hooked up with Adam. Jessa is the worst girl. I can only hope Jk is a much better person and friend in real life.

I just really dislike this season. I don't like anything that happened. And there's 2 episodes left and I'm just like not into it. I feel like I was all sad about this series ending because I've found it really profound and moving and been watching since it started, the finales going to.be a meh moment. TVDs final episodes got a bigger reaction from me and I've haven't been invested in that since like two seasons ago.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3
(edited)

No sympathy from me for pathetic Jessa. That's what she gets for eating her friend's leftovers. The ho and the hobo deserve each other. I see nothing but misery and pain in their future. :)

Edited by Skyline
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Hrairoo said:

I like Ray and Abigail together.  I like the fact that Ray finally met a woman closer to his age who seems into him. 

I don't know how old Abigail is supposed to be, but Aidy Bryant is less than a year older than Zosia Mamet.

2 hours ago, Skyline said:

No sympathy from me for pathetic Jessa. That's what she gets for eating her friend's leftovers. 

Jessa being pathetically grateful that Adam came back to her after having been rejected by Hannah was just about what she deserved. Jessa, who's always pretended to be so cool and above it all, has a complete meltdown after Adam leaves her and is just happy that the man who unceremoniously dumped her has come crawling back because his first choice wouldn't have him. Karma, bitch, etc. etc.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

Adam in the first season was not someone I ascribed a lot of morality to.  I found him borderline repulsive.  But over time he has created an impression of someone who would not make an offer like this, not provide this kind of reassurance to someone he cares about and who is so vulnerable, and then break it off unless he was sure that's what she wanted.  Or even if he felt practically telepathically certain about it, I feel like he would feel honor-bound to keep giving lip service to his commitment until she very forcefully and explicitly said "no, I changed my mind--I don't want this".  Do you see what I mean?  It's a lot different from just a relationship thing, to renege on a commitment like that.

Wow, I don't see Adam this way at all. Adam Sackler, honor-bound and sticking to commitments? Perhaps it's just the intensity of his personality that gives that impression, but in reality he has shown himself to be someone who will selfishly drop his partner to follow a new obsession with no hesitation. The pattern started way back in season 2, but he was leaving Natalia for Hannah, who he loved, so perhaps we didn't initially see it for what it was. But then he did it to Hannah with Mimi Rose. Then he pursued Hannah's friend relentlessly despite knowing full well it would hurt her. Then he ditched Jessa because he became fixated with raising a baby with Hannah. This is not a guy who feels the need to stick to his commitments or who places a sense of honor over his need to explore his impulses. He likes to be needed, and it seems to me that once he realized Hannah didn't want or need him, he was okay walking away. 

4 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Um.. what?!?! It's.. not a love story. Not anymore. Listen as a person who kind of likes dysfunctional romances on tv if there's actual substance throughout.. there isn't one with Adam and Hannah anymore. There stopped being one when he started living with another woman in his ex girlfriends(who btw he didn't break up with) apartment and then after doing all this tried to get her back and then started moving in on her close friend. It's.. not a love story after this.

Pretty sure Lena was referring to their past, which was definitely a love story. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Hrairoo said:

I know that if my boyfriend told me he had to see if he could rekindle things with his pregnant ex so he could help raise her baby, I wouldn't just let him back in when he came back at the end of the day because it didn't work out.

Isn't it his apartment, though?  Who's paying the rent?

1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

I don't know how old Abigail is supposed to be, but Aidy Bryant is less than a year older than Zosia Mamet.

I was kinda wondering when I read that.  Does Aidy read "older" to some people just because she's heavier?

12 minutes ago, stagmania said:

Wow, I don't see Adam this way at all. Adam Sackler, honor-bound and sticking to commitments? Perhaps it's just the intensity of his personality that gives that impression, but in reality he has shown himself to be someone who will selfishly drop his partner to follow a new obsession with no hesitation.

Okay, fair point--but I still don't think he would do it so quickly, within the same day as "white knighting" into the scene.  He certainly wouldn't want to be known as someone who would make an offer like that and the pull the rug out later the same day.  I mean, who would?  So I guess more what I'm saying is less about Adam specifically, other than to say I don't think he is the kind of monster who wouldn't care about pulling a "psych!" move like that.  He is IMO among the 99% of people who would either want a very explicit statement from the pregnant woman in question that she didn't want him, or would wait and at least give it a couple months to be able to say he gave it the old college try.

• Love 1

I, too, thought the cafe scene was perfectly played. We've seen this kind of episode in GIRLS before - "Panic in Central Park", when Marnie revisited Charlie, and they played out a fantasy based on their past for a day. She went back to divorce Desi; Hannah goes back to the path of single motherhood. But in both cases the characters got a chance to imagine their lives differently and look at this old relationship in their lives with new eyes. I think when Adam said "marriage" reality - instead of playing house - set in and they both realized it was wrong. I also don't think they needed words. Adam's "white knight to the rescue" recalls his race to save Hannah from OCD at the end of season 2. The fantasy just burst quicker. And I think that's the thing about Adam, who has never struck me as a particularly savory character: he has these fantasies, rushes into them, and then realizes they don't work.

As for running out on commitments, how often have we seen him quit his professional obligations? Most recently, just an episode or two ago.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I agree with most of the posts here.  But to me Hannah's Diner melt-down meant one more thing - once the baby is born, she will have finally, irreversibly entered into true adulthood/parenthood and everything it entails (picking out preschools, joining the Park Slope Food Co-Op, and attending PTA meetings).  Adam's marriage proposal focused her attention on that reality - she's about to be the first of the "Girls" to enter real adulthood by becoming almost fully responsible for another, dependent human being for at least 18 years.  For someone who has basically been playing at being an adult (as so many of us did in our early-to-mid 20s), the concept has to be overwhelming, to say the least.

Exactly. The whole thing with Adam was a regression based on fear, largely its a reaction to Paul-Louis just fobbing her off. She is reeling from that. Going back to relationship that was fun and felt free is exactly why she clicked back in with Adam so easily, it comfortable and cosy and easy. When he starts talking about forever stuff like marriage and a division of duties and where they'd live etc it all becomes real again and she focus back on reality in the way an adult with a kid has to.

I thought Lena was brilliant in that scene too. She deserves an Emmy nomination for her acting based on this episode.

• Love 10

I think a lot of it was the "sounds good on paper" sort of feeling that you get in life as you age. You could be in a job interview at a shiny nice office and know that you're going to get the offer and it will come with a salary you'd be crazy to say no to - or the marriage proposal from the guy you've been with for three years - and suddenly in that moment you realize that even though it looks right and is what you thought you wanted, you know the job will make you miserable. And you know that the relationship is only out of convenience and there's this sadness and fear wrapped up together that paralyze you. I saw that in Hannah. As he was talking she was realizing that it SOUNDED good but it also sounded wrong. She should be happy that someone is going to take care of her and build her a crib and help her out but she also knows it will be false and fake and she can't just go along with it. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, stagmania said:

Wow, I don't see Adam this way at all. Adam Sackler, honor-bound and sticking to commitments? Perhaps it's just the intensity of his personality that gives that impression, but in reality he has shown himself to be someone who will selfishly drop his partner to follow a new obsession with no hesitation. The pattern started way back in season 2, but he was leaving Natalia for Hannah, who he loved, so perhaps we didn't initially see it for what it was. But then he did it to Hannah with Mimi Rose. Then he pursued Hannah's friend relentlessly despite knowing full well it would hurt her. Then he ditched Jessa because he became fixated with raising a baby with Hannah. This is not a guy who feels the need to stick to his commitments or who places a sense of honor over his need to explore his impulses. He likes to be needed, and it seems to me that once he realized Hannah didn't want or need him, he was okay walking away. 

This is a great analysis of Adam, the Mr. Big for the millennial set.  Adam intensity had gotten him a lot of fan girls, but it really does fizzle out when things get real.

I have an unpopular opinion:  I think Abigail has a prettier face then Marnie.  However, I can not see her with Ray and it is not because of her size.  Lifelong mopes like Ray, usually hate happy perky girls, but I guess there is an exception to every rule.

10 hours ago, lidarose9 said:

I thought Abigail was a joke until I realized Ray was supposed to be into her. That just did not work at all for me. 

When Jessa went in the bar, I thought she was there to score some dope from that loser, not sex. Surprised she hasn't relapsed. 

Generally I am really disappointed in this whole season. It looks like it's going to be just another show about women and their relationships with the men. I know, there are also friendship issues, identity crap, jobs, career, dreams of fame and fortune, disappointments, differentiating from parents... all that too, but really when you get down to it, what she's doing this season is pairing up the couples (or breaking them apart). Toss the baby thing in there and it's even more disappointing. Jesus, it's as tired and predictable as having Elijah go to Broadway. There are 900 million shows on TV about young women being forced to grow up when they get pregnant. There are exactly 0 shows on TV about women who go to the Iowa Writer's Workshop. 

AMEN to this whole post.  I was so looking forward to a show where women were not defined by their relationships and motherhood.  Particularly, millennial women who are less like to want to be married or have to be married or have children, when compared to previous generations.

The most cutting edge thing about this program will be that it showed nudity that refused to adhere to the principles of the male gaze.  These women enjoyed their own bodies and it was not about objectification.

The rest has been a disappointment.  The main thing that people will take away from this show is the Adam/ Hanna relationship and maybe that she has a gay best friend.  She might as well be Carrie Bradshaw.

Lena Dunham can talk about the Hannah/Marnie friendship being the real romance all she wants....I actually forgot they were friends for a couple episodes and Allison William's acting just can not cut it.

I do not believe Marnie would ever want to be friends with someone like Hannah, unless it was to feel superior to her.  Just like I do not really believe Mamet and Williams would ever be friends with Lena, if she did not have a hit show.

It also annoys me that Elijah has become her lap dog.  He is an attractive talented young man and his life should be more then waiting on Hannah hand and foot.

I read an article that in real life women have become delusional with heterosexual male relationships and platonic female relationships, so now many shows are incorporating the "magical male homo" character, who centers his life around the main female protagonist.  I have no idea if this is a trope, but I hope Elijah got his part on Broadway and then is out for a two year tour.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Eucrid said:

Exactly. The whole thing with Adam was a regression based on fear, largely its a reaction to Paul-Louis just fobbing her off. She is reeling from that. Going back to relationship that was fun and felt free is exactly why she clicked back in with Adam so easily, it comfortable and cosy and easy.

Yes. It wasn't just Paul-Louis' rejection, it was also Dil telling her that babies need fathers. Hannah voices her fear early in this episode of the consequences of her child growing up without a father. So when Adam shows up and announces that he wants to help raise her baby, it feels like an answered prayer.

12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I have to say this episode would have felt much more realistic if only Fran and Patrick Wilson had shown up to tell Hannah that they really want to be a father to her baby. I mean, seriously, just 3 men?! Most single pregnant damsels have at least 5 princes lining up to rescue them! --TOTAL EYEROLL!

I think the whole point of Laird's comically insane, unprompted proposal to help raise Hannah's baby highlighted how comically insane Adam's earlier unprompted proposal to help raise Hannah's baby was, and I think Hannah realized that. Like Laird's ridiculous, self-absorbed suggestion that the reason he was put on Earth was to raise Hannah's baby, Adam makes his equally self-absorbed proposal all about him, his wants and proving that he's a good guy: 

"I miss you. I miss being with you. I thought I could move on, but hearing about the baby made me realize that we don't have any more time to waste. Let me show you who I've become. I want to be there for you as you become a mother. I want to watch you blossom and love this baby more than anyone has loved any living thing. I don't want to be away from you any longer."

I read an article that in real life women have become delusional with heterosexual male relationships and platonic female relationships, so now many shows are incorporating the "magical male homo" character, who centers his life around the main female protagonist.  I have no idea if this is a trope, but I hope Elijah got his part on Broadway and then is out for a two year tour.

Well, the Sassy Gay Friend is a well-established trope of many years, and it's long been a complaint about fictional depictions of gay men that they are used as sounding boards or cheerleaders for the main characters (usually female characters) with no lives, goals, or motivations of their own. I think that is changing on TV. Even a lot of PG-rated network shows feature non-stereotypical gay lead or supporting characters with their own love interests and character arcs (Will on Nashville, Captain Holt on Brooklyn 99, etc.).

Nevertheless, HBO is supposed to be groundbreaking television, and it recently featured a show centered around gay characters (Looking), so the fact that Elijah is reduced pretty much to sassy gay friend for so much of the show seems unusually regressive. Sex and the City fans complained constantly that Stanford and Anthony had nothing to do other than offer bitchy remarks and act as sounding boards, and that was 15 years ago! 

With that said, as capital-p Problematic as Elijah is, I enjoy Elijah's presence on the show, since he consistently has the best lines.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4

I wont lie, I do think, on some level, that I was rooting for Hannah and Adam. They're dysfunctions seemed to at times fit together so well, that I always thought they would find their way back to each other eventually. However...its become increasingly obvious that as much as they fit together at times, they just aren't healthy together. Going back to Adam might sound good during a time of uncertainty, but there's a reason Adam and Hannah didn't work out before, and bringing a kid into it would make everything even worse. I love Adam, but the guy is so freaking intense, that you have to have a really specific personality to deal with that all the time, and I don't think Hannah has that personality. Maybe they can be friends, but being any kind of couple again is courting disaster. Its not the ending that my heart might want, but its definitely the best for my sense.

Wow, what is Jessa smoking these days? She looked AWFUL in that bar outfit. I mean, that outfit made her look like the After picture of a pretty girl who discovered crystal meth. I did actually manage to feel a bad for her in the bar, which is pretty impressive for how awful Jessa is. It just seems like Jessa is such a deeply unhappy person, that she has to make other people unhappy to validate her own feelings. In the bar, she just seemed so desperate and pathetic, it seemed to be Real Jessa. What a mess of a person.

Of course Ray grew up watching an obscure Russian carton about Borscht. That really does explain a lot about Ray, on some level. I liked seeing Ray and Abigail and their adventure around Brooklyn. It was really sweet.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

I was kinda wondering when I read that.  Does Aidy read "older" to some people just because she's heavier?

I was thinking more along the lines of she was Shoshanna's contact and the person who delivered the news that she was let go in the company Shosh worked for, so I just assumed she was further along in her career and therefore, older.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, RedDelicious said:

I was thinking more along the lines of she was Shoshanna's contact and the person who delivered the news that she was let go in the company Shosh worked for, so I just assumed she was further along in her career and therefore, older.

Me too. Plus, Zosia is 29 in real life so she's playing Shoshanna as younger, being that Shosh was an undergrad when Girls began airing.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

I figured her character was older because she was Shosh's boss at one point.  I know people can have younger bosses, but Abigail struck me as someone who had been out in the real world, working longer than Shosh has.  Also, LD talks about how nice it is for Ray to be with someone like Abigail after dating "rude millennials" for so long, so yeah.  I took that to mean Abigail is supposed to be older than the girls.

Edited by Hrairoo
  • Love 3

This episode appealed to me a great deal.  I liked that Adam came back to explore his "history."  I think that Hannah believed, at first, that he came back because he loved her, and, if that had been true, she would have gone for it. But he never said that, he just talked about all the stuff he could do for her and the baby.  And I think she realized (before Adam did) that it was not a good enough foundation to base a long-term committment on.  I was very sad for her.  I think she's been kind of treading water as far as having a relationship because she was kind of hoping Adam would return to her.  A lot of people do that.  

I felt bad for Jessa too, in that she clearly did not say to Adam what she wanted to say when he first told her.  She let him go.  And then when he returned, that smile at the end of the show was one of relief and maybe joy.  I would not have acted as she did (gross out sex with random guy), but I think I understood her a little more.

And finally, I really enjoyed watching Abigail with Ray.  He's been so thirsty for someone to really talk with him, it was nice to see. 

I think the whole point of Laird's comically insane, unprompted proposal to help raise Hannah's baby highlighted how comically insane Adam's earlier unprompted proposal to help raise Hannah's baby was, and I think Hannah realized that. Like Laird's ridiculous, self-absorbed suggestion that the reason he was put on Earth was to raise Hannah's baby, Adam makes his equally self-absorbed proposal all about him, his wants and proving that he's a good guy:

Laird has always had a thing for Hannah, ever since she bought cocaine from him (for a story) and they had sex, so it made complete sense to me that he would offer to help her with the baby.  If anything, Laird's offer seemed more genuine to me.  He's cleaned himself up, and he's raising a child on his own, so he knows how it is. He knows what she is going to face. 

• Love 8

I think Laird, as sweet as he can be, is the type of guy who falls in love with any woman who will pay attention to him.  It will probably not be too long before Sample is raising him.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I think Laird, as sweet as he can be, is the type of guy who falls in love with any woman who will pay attention to him.  It will probably not be too long before Sample is raising him.

Agree.  When Laird said he believed his purpose was to raise Hannah's baby, I was actually mad at him.  What about your own kid, Laird?  Jesus, slow your roll.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Could someone explain the beautiful home with ugly view vs. ugly home with beautiful view thing for me? Thank you!

It's about appreciating and being present with what you have instead of looking longingly at something you can never have. 

• Love 5
On 4/2/2017 at 11:15 PM, Matias130 said:

Also, that bare baby bump looked awfully real ..... 

I thought it kept changing depending on which scene, it looks like it's even bigger next week. 

On 4/3/2017 at 0:38 AM, RedDelicious said:

I don't know, anybody who's ever dated a narcissist has heard the words "what are your plans for the rest of the evening" or something to that effect. My heart sank as soon as Adam said that. Meaning I'm out after this.

Didn't he say that because he realized that she wasn't accepting his proposals?

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought it was lovely for Abigail to have chemistry with Ray. 

I loved it. It seemed very natural and not forced.

That's how it happens in real life. I find myself thinking about Hannah "oh man, that guy wouldn't go for her" when I am not conventionally attractive either and have still managed to somehow have both conventionally attractive and non traditional partners. It's a media lie that the love of fat people is either a punch line or sad and I have so internalized that it makes me angry at myself for being skeptical.

There are many things about this show that are not funny, but so true that they speak to me. Hannah's anxiety about the baby and the drunk driver, for example. When I was pregnant and had my newborn, I totally had completely random and worst case scenario fears about scenarios that were so unlikely as to be ridiculous. But I still can remember the echoes of the fears. 

Edited by guilfoyleatpp
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

That's how it happens in real life. I find myself thinking about Hannah "oh man, that guy wouldn't go for her" when I am not conventionally attractive either and have still managed to somehow have both conventionally attractive and non traditional partners. It's a media lie that the love of fat people is either a punch line or sad and I have so internalized that it makes me angry at myself for being skeptical.

Bravo! Well said, and so true! 

• Love 8
On 4/3/2017 at 2:29 PM, TomGirl said:

All three of those self-centered immature other girls pitching in to help wouldn't add up to the help of one whole  responsible person.

THIS^^^.

3 hours ago, Lemons said:

I thought it kept changing depending on which scene, it looks like it's even bigger next week. 

Didn't he say that because he realized that she wasn't accepting his proposals?

That's what I thought was going on...but I wasn't/not sure....:

1 hour ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

There are many things about this show that are not funny, but so true that they speak to me. Hannah's anxiety about the baby and the drunk driver, for example. When I was pregnant and had my newborn, I totally had completely random and worst case scenario fears about scenarios that were so unlikely as to be ridiculous. But I still can remember the echoes of the fears. 

As Hannah was recounting those fears, I was sitting on my couch nodding "yep, had that one (or one really similar)" about each thought when I was pregnant with my first baby...

• Love 8

When Adam asked what Hannah's plans for the rest of the night were, I figured he had checked out of the Get Back Together fantasy, but then was surprised to see her looking like she was a half beat ahead of him. Thinking back though, it makes sense that after the phone call with biodad was so brutal of a letdown, like a massive disregard, she would have her guard up about what she could count on from the men in her life. I'm guessing the ones who show up for pregnancy and birth support will be Elijah for sure and Dill, if he sticks around. 

All this year and up until this scene, I did think Adam and Hannah would get back together. Not because I think they seem good for each other but because all Hannah's boyfriends were so boring. Adam's Broadway angst seems so New York, not like those inept teachers and surfers. I'm sure I have forgot a few. And Jessa didn't seem to fit with Adam at all, except for energetic apartment smashing sex.

• Love 1

Series don't die anymore. You can have follow up movies (Entourage) or new seasons 10 years later (Gilmore Girls) and even comic book series (Buffy). I'm sure this isn't the end for Hannah and Adam.  The movie will probably end with those two together.  

• Love 2

I thought the scene was very well done, but very literary tv.  I mean when tv copies something from novels and tries to used it in a visual form.  Both people have this epiphany around the same time and there is no communication?  Even if Hannah does not want to be in a relationship with Adam, she could use his help, particularly if she stays in New York.  It is overly dramatic for no reason other then trying to make it deeper then it is.  Two people who had a past relationship, realizing that they are not right for each other and definitely should not raise a child together.  They could be platonic friends or heck even fuck buddies and Adam could help out, like he happily does with Sample.  Adam is not ready to be a father, but he is a decent uncle.  Laird and Hannah could also share child care responsibilities, since they are both single parents.

I have raised my children myself and all this drama for drama purposes is beginning to annoy me.  Yes, Hannah if you raise a baby yourself, it is going to be hard.  Your are not the first person to have a baby and not the last.

Personally, I do not like the pregnancy story line and feel it is a cliché trope for a show about women.  It is also very sitcom 101.  Obsess about the baby and pregnancy and then when the child is born, except or a few jokes about sleepless nights, always have them off camera.

I know this show is ending, so that will not happen, but Lena could have found a better way to show maturity in her characters then a "whoops, pregnancy" plot.  The summary for this season could be Hannah gets pregnant and crazy hijinks occur.

• Love 4