Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: What Will We Do This Time About Adam?

Adam comes to Hannah with surprising news. Jessa spends a day off on her own. Shoshanna slogs through helping Ray with his oral-history project, until a fortuitous run-in with Abigail, her old boss, infuses the venture with new energy.

This episode was clearly just written for an epilogue to the Hannah and Adam fans. And it's also an episode one can skip. Nothing changed from the start and the end, the only difference was the middle.

Ugh. Why are we doing Adam and Hannah as if their romance was even fun to watch? As a person who rewatched every season before this season started.. ew. It was an awful romance watching it. So I was happy with how it ended. Hannah not accepting his sort of proposal was pretty damn great. 

Lil Baby Aidy, Sosh, and Ray were on a different show in this episode. And kind of a boring one. And not that good a storyline? I get that's sosh originally wasn't a main girl but by episode one she was and now her storylines  are whatever this is. Same with Ray. I love Lil Baby Aidy but the last thing this show needed was to write randomly a romance for them. And also throwing Soshonna on the train of the storyline to get them there.

I don't get this final season at all. I don't know. I'm just not into it.

• Love 6

I just felt thoroughly confused watching this episode from beginning to end. I get that Hannah is upset because her BFF and her ex BF started dating, but hey, she jumped into bed with him the day he broke up with Jessa and while she is pregnant with someone else's baby to boot ... just felt incredibly grossed out by the whole thing. Adam would make a terrible father if the previous episodes/seasons have shown us anything about him. And I also dont get why he would have left Jessa for a pregnant Hannah. I ended up feeling sorry for Jessa in this episode, just a little bit, since she really does seem to love Adam. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Matias130 said:

I just felt thoroughly confused watching this episode from beginning to end. I get that Hannah is upset because her BFF and her ex BF started dating, but hey, she jumped into bed with him the day he broke up with Jessa and while she is pregnant with someone else's baby to boot ... just felt incredibly grossed out by the whole thing. Adam would make a terrible father if the previous episodes/seasons have shown us anything about him. And I also dont get why he would have left Jessa for a pregnant Hannah. I ended up feeling sorry for Jessa in this episode, just a little bit, since she really does seem to love Adam. 

Like I said, this episode felt like Fan Service. One episode for Hannah and Adam to have one. But at the end it changes nothing. It also makes me hate the characters more. Adam is gross for breaking up with Jessa and not even waiting 24 hours to sleep with Hannah and then going back to Jessa at the end. Hannah is gross for sleeping with Adam after he just broke up with her ex friend or whatever the hell Jessa is to Hannah now. Clearly Hannah did it mainly out of revenge/spite. She has seemed done with Adam for a while so it didn't make sense. 

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

This episode was clearly just written for an epilogue to the Hannah and Adam fans. And it's also an episode one can skip. Nothing changed from the start and the end, the only difference was the middle.

Okay, I guess I'm just really dense.  I was actually going to come post that "either I'm really dense, or the 'Behind the Episode' deal was really spoilery".  Then I was going to explain what I thought was spoilery about it behind spoiler bars, but apparently that's not necessary because, yes, I'm just dense.

When the episode was over, I thought there was a hint of possible cloudy skies in this new Adam and Hannah relationship.  I wasn't totally oblivious to the fact that it was not looking like as much of a joyous reunion as it had a bit earlier in the episode.  But I also didn't see anything definitive that the whole thing was off.  Sometimes the passion cools, but people still stay together.

Then the BTE deal said exactly what you just did, that this was basically the final chapter of Hannah and Adam.  I was like WTF, guys: spoiler much?!?  (I always skip past the "On the next episode" deal, but it usually seems safe to then watch BTE.)  But now I see that everyone here seems to see it as clear-cut, so...I feel sheepish.  I guess I will go back and watch again to try to figure out how this was so completely unambiguous.

• Love 9
Just now, SlackerInc said:

Okay, I guess I'm just really dense.  I was actually going to come post that "either I'm really dense, or the 'Behind the Episode' deal was really spoilery".  Then I was going to explain what I thought was spoilery about it behind spoiler bars, but apparently that's not necessary because, yes, I'm just dense.

When the episode was over, I thought there was a hint of possible cloudy skies in this new Adam and Hannah relationship.  I wasn't totally oblivious to the fact that it was not looking like as much of a joyous reunion as it had a bit earlier in the episode.  But I also didn't see anything definitive that the whole thing was off.  Sometimes the passion cools, but people still stay together.

Then the BTE deal said exactly what you just did, that this was basically the final chapter of Hannah and Adam.  I was like WTF, guys: spoiler much?!?  (I always skip past the "On the next episode" deal, but it usually seems safe to then watch BTE.)  But now I see that everyone here seems to see it as clear-cut, so...I feel sheepish.  I guess I will go back and watch again to try to figure out how this was so completely unambiguous.

I don't watch BTE anymore. Only because last season Lena just annoyed me with all of her insights that never made sense and this season the format of the BTES kind of bothers me.

I thought it was pretty clear that Hannah wants to raise the baby as a single mother, actually. But also, when he was like talking about the housing situation and how that one complex wants people to be married, Hannah was like not into it. If she still was as deeply in love with him as she had been I think she would have responded immediately. 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

Dont worry,, SlackerInc. I also didnt have a clue what was going on between Hannah and Adam until the BTE or whatever its called fed us all that information. I felt like the episode was just a little too ambiguous .... I assumed Hannah was zoning out and crying because she realized that becoming a mother terrified her, oops, guess it was because she didnt want Adam.

Edited by Matias130
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don't watch BTE anymore. Only because last season Lena just annoyed me with all of her insights that never made sense and this season the format of the BTES kind of bothers me.

I thought it was pretty clear that Hannah wants to raise the baby as a single mother, actually. But also, when he was like talking about the housing situation and how that one complex wants people to be married, Hannah was like not into it. If she still was as deeply in love with him as she had been I think she would have responded immediately. 

But she responded in a typical Hannah way, saying "yeah, I guess it's time to join a co-op".  Adam said he would do the shifts if she did the money and "computer stuff".  Then she started crying.  I guess that was supposed to be the obvious signal "forget it, let's call the whole thing off".  But pregnant women get emotional and cry at everything.  And thirty seconds before that, she had been talking enthusiastically about moving into an apartment with him to raise the baby together.  I guess I'm not old-fashioned enough or something, because to me it isn't some great higher step to get married (for practical purposes like artist housing lists or whatever) when you're already planning to move in together and raise a baby together.

I know it's often said that regular network fare is subpar because they explain every little thing the characters are thinking so middle Americans don't get confused while they fold their laundry.  And premium cable stuff does "show, not tell".  But here, I just think there should be a little something.  "I'm sorry, Adam, I thought I could--I hoped I could..." Just that much.  Or else what we saw was fine, but then wrap it up in a subsequent episode.

As much as I'm a little put out by all of it, I guess it's better than if I had just watched the episode, not watched BTE, and not read anything about it...then tuned in to the next episode and Adam is out of the picture with no explanation.  I would have been really confused and irked then.

• Love 7

Ok if Hannah and Adam weren't meant to be, why are Jessa and Adam suppose to be such a great thing?

Maybe it was too subtle when supposedly Adam and Hannah were drifting apart before she went to Iowa for 2 seconds and Adam had already shacked up with Mimi Rose.  Meanwhile Jessa had orchestrated this coupling up to get at Mimi's friend.

Then after Adam is dumped, he comes crawling to Hannah who resisted caving in and got together with some doormat.

So Adam goes after Jessa and they're going to burn bridges with everyone because they have this apartment-destroying sex.

And now, Adam decides to go back to Hannah because of "too much history" but then decides Jessa is for him?  And Jessa realizes doing it with some random neck tattoo guy isn't that great a replacement for Adam?

Maybe there isn't meant to be some great love amongst this crew.  Then again, since these romantic pairings tend to be mostly within this group, maybe they lesson is choose the social circle you're going to be in wisely?

• Love 9

The Adam/Hannah stuff was tough to watch - each of them trying to convince themselves there was something good they could rekindle.  I remember their horrible relationship and how terribly he treated her.  When he grabbed the soda, it brought back every time he body shamed her.  The whole idea that he broke up with Jessa to go after Hannah because he wanted to raise her baby (not because he felt he had screwed up and hurt her) was so squicky. Of course Adam would do that.  And of course it was a terrible idea. 

But I did enjoy Laird.  My sweet Laird.  Eternally clueless.   

• Love 8

I was confused at the end. Hannah was crying because she realized she and Adam were over? And then Adam went back to Jessa, and Jessa took him? 

I saw absolutely nothing anywhere that suggested Hannah was done with Adam in that scene. Maybe because it wasn't a real proposal? I dunno. Or ... 

I'm at a loss. Very odd way to end both the episode and the relationship. 

• Love 19

I am right there with ya, @whiporee!

BTW, while I thought the merry-go-round scene with Ray and the Aidy Bryant character was really sweet, I wondered why they didn't seem to be suffering from the heat (it was the same day, right?).  Then I discovered that this carousel is enclosed inside a glass building, and for a minute I thought, okay: it is air conditioned...but it is not.

• Love 3

Hannah was into it until the emotionless proposal. That brought her back to Earth.  Door closes on Adam and Hannah...

... but opens for Ray and Abigail. 

16 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

I am right there with ya, @whiporee!

BTW, while I thought the merry-go-round scene with Ray and the Aidy Bryant character was really sweet, I wondered why they didn't seem to be suffering from the heat (it was the same day, right?).  Then I discovered that this carousel is enclosed inside a glass building, and for a minute I thought, okay: it is air conditioned...but it is not.

Everyone but Ray and Abigail are in a Tennessee Williams-like heat.  

• Love 7

I don't know, anybody who's ever dated a narcissist has heard the words "what are your plans for the rest of the evening" or something to that effect. My heart sank as soon as Adam said that. Meaning I'm out after this.

• Love 15
(edited)

When Adam asked if they could talk at Hannah's home, I was really expecting her to tell him that it was too hot there.

Sample!!

Loved Laird quickly and excitedly summarizing his life, and mentioning a still-kind-of-bitter, "she completely destroyed me," then moving on to excitedly summarize the rest of his life.

Did Jessa hook up with Random Dude?

No Marnie!

I didn't like that the Ray/Abigail/Shosh dynamic became pretty much the Ray/Shosh/Marnie dynamic.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 2

Looking back, I realize why I dislike Hannah so much, and this episode cemented it for me. It is difficult for me to root for someone who is seemingly morally bankrupt, and is not even charming on the exterior to make up for it to the viewers. Watching Hannah have sex with Adam probably 30 minutes after he breaks up with Jessa, all the while discussing raising someone else's baby with him, is pretty disgusting, far more than what Jessa did. It is also*highly* unbelievable. I just dont like any of the characters on this show anymore, and would probably only root for the random neck-tattoo guy that hooked up with Jessa in a public bathroom and then left. 

14 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I didn't like that the Ray/Abigail/Shosh dynamic became pretty much the Ray/Shosh/Marnie dynamic.

I agree ! It left her feeling a bit jilted. I didnt expect Abigail to be such a deep person though, she seemed so stupid the previous season, kind of like that chubby woman on Millionaire Matchmaker who lived in a Hello Kitty world. 

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

Looking back, I realize why I dislike Hannah so much, and this episode cemented it for me. It is difficult for me to root for someone who is seemingly morally bankrupt, and is not even charming on the exterior to make up for it to the viewers. Watching Hannah have sex with Adam probably 30 minutes after he breaks up with Jessa, all the while discussing raising someone else's baby with him, is pretty disgusting, far more than what Jessa did. It is also*highly* unbelievable. I just dont like any of the characters on this show anymore, and would probably only root for the random neck-tattoo guy that hooked up with Jessa in a public bathroom and then left. 

I agree ! It left her feeling a bit jilted. I didnt expect Abigail to be such a deep person though, she seemed so stupid the previous season, kind of like that chubby woman on Millionaire Matchmaker who lived in a Hello Kitty world. 

Your point about not being able to root for these characters is how I have felt this whole entire season. It's sad. I used to like this show a lot but I honestly don't think anything has made me laugh this entire season or brought me joy, I feel kind of empty feelings toward everything this season. 

I kind of wish the season finale of last season had been the end of the series.

• Love 4
(edited)

OK, I know the diner scene seemed very confusing, but it makes sense if you think about it. Haven't we all been with a person where something is said that triggers a moment of clarity for both parties that the relationship is not going to work? Or is that just me? The way Hannah went from chatting about co-ops to verklempt to full-on tears, and Adam's expression gradually changed, I thought that was beautifully acted and no words were needed.

I thought Ray's connection with Shosh's old boss was too cutesy, but Shosh's face when she realized what was happening was priceless. I loved them interviewing the Brooklyn senior citizens (I just love "old" Brooklyn). BTW, I lived in the Soviet Union the first ten years of my life, and I watched all the cartoons that were available - there weren't many - but I don't remember a cartoon about a fatherless bowl of borscht. They must have made that up.

I think Jessa's doing drugs again. The dark under-eye circles, the puking, the erratic - even for her - behavior. Remember, when Ace left her to get back together with Mimi-Rose, she let everybody know that she "runs game" and went on her merry way. Time for another rehab stint.

Little Sample is adorable and it broke my heart that she kept calling Jessa "mommy". I hope Laird finds a nice and relatively stable woman.

ETA: By the way, I have not seen the post-episode interview. I never watch those.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

Don't worry, I felt the same way!! Was so confused.

• Love 3

Ok, that episode was awkward and felt way too rushed, like empty calories, though it offered closure of the whole Ray/Shosh and Hannah/Adam happy-ending daydreams. Ultimately this show is about GIRLS, not about Girls ending up with Guys, so hopefully it gets to a natural spot where the boys fade into the background and the focus returns to the girls' and repairing their relationships. 

Next week: 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

OK, I know the diner scene seemed very confusing, but it makes sense if you think about it. Haven't we all been with a person where something is said that triggers a moment of clarity for both parties that the relationship is not going to work? Or is that just me? The way Hannah went from chatting about co-ops to verklempt to full-on tears, and Adam's expression gradually changed, I thought that was beautifully acted and no words were needed.

Sure, it's all explicable after the fact.  And obviously you and many other people picked up on it at the time.  But I just didn't.

People are talking about how great Lena's face acting is, and it's true: she has demonstrated that multiple times.  But the first that I remember was actually the previous Adam-Hannah "breakup" scene, in the S4 finale.  And in that case, there was some dialogue, specifically:

HANNAH: I can't do that.

ADAM: Please.

HANNAH: I can't.

ADAM: Yeah you can.

HANNAH: [shaking head] I can't.

ADAM: [withdrawing hand] Okay.  That's fine.

HANNAH: [nodding head] Okay.

That's a huge contrast to this case, where they had just been talking about plans to move in together, and Hannah still seemed psyched about that until right up to the point where marriage was mentioned.  I knew the bliss of the earlier part of that day was obviously fading, but as someone who's been married twice, that didn't necessarily say to me "it's over".  I mean, for anyone who has seen The Graduate: do you think

Spoiler

the final shot means this young couple is not even going to get off the bus together?  Or just more that "yeah, we are going to be together, but maybe now that the excitement is wearing off, that's not exactly a ticket to paradise"?  I always took it as the latter.

And so I think this is messed up on two levels: one, because it's not clear enough for at least some of us viewers; but also because I don't think it's realistic that it would just be left unspoken like this.  Even if Adam had a pretty bad feeling that Hannah's crying meant "wait a second, this is crazy, let's call the whole thing off", he made a bunch of promises to her, and I think he'd want to get explicit confirmation of that, rather than risk any misunderstanding where he is possibly ditching her after getting her hopes up.  So I definitely think we needed another "I can't" or "We're kidding ourselves" or "This isn't going to work, is it?"

• Love 6

I wasn't that surprised by Adam's being interested in raising a baby as they set them up with helping with Laird and his sisters baby.  It was one of the one times when his OCDness on a person actually seemed to fit a life role although as the kid got older it would turn into helicopter parent of the worst level. 

I'm not sure what happened with Adam and Hanna as I was watching way to late but yea, they seemed to be building on an unrealistic rose colored glasses we can turn back the clock emotional high all day then all of the sudden the overfilled happy balloon sprung a leak and totally deflated?  

What happened to Shosh's stattaco speech and over speeded manner?  Its like she was a different person.  

I have never understood the Jessa hate and in some ways like her most of all.  I too wondered if she was pregnant and if that is one of the reasons she went so far off the rails.  I wondered if that was why she was down with Laird and the baby and why she was so upset when Laird got mad because she was too loud.  Like she was testing the waters of motherhood and someone told her she sucked.  I actually thought when she was marching down the street she was heading to an abortion center.  She has always felt guilty about Hanna/Adam and both didn't want to get in the way of that if thats what needed to happen and also needed to know if he came back that it was finally decided.  So that day was really hard for her, waiting to see what would happen. She really needs someone, Adam apparently, to love and lover her back.   I don't think its easy being Jessa.  She has the self awareness to realize how hard she can be but none of us have the ability to change who we are that fundamentally and I think the show has shown her struggle with that for those who look.  

That bar scene just seemed so full of self destruction, insecurity/fear and darkness and was very real to me. People with her childhood can have no emotional foundation.  I think its the best scene in all of Girls and the Jessa actor nailed it.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

The moment where we allow ourselves to know what we know: it will not happen. This thing I want so much? It will not happen. It's not how the story goes. This is not what will be. It's like coming out of the forest, in a fairy tale.

With Hannah, it happened in the cool of the night in the diner. Hannah stares at the man she loves and knows she will not live with, will not raise a child with -- will someday, forget to love -- and Lena's face was the picture of that discovery. And as you say, chocolatine, to see Adam prove how close he and Hannah came as he grasped it and then, no more willing than she, stepped all the way down to join her in the tundra of the new landscape, and spoke from there. "So what are your plans for the rest of the evening." Meaning, Well. Since you brought it up. So how will we do the rest of our lives.  

• Love 21

Ray and Abigail were cute together...although I can see why Shosh finds Abigail hard to take. On the other hand, she tolerates Ray, who's equally hard to take if in a different way, so...

• Love 5

So much to unpack in this episode.

First did this episode feel surreal to anyone else...there is something about that just seems like a dream and not any sort of reality.  I can't say I cared for the episode.  I may need to watch it again but on first viewing...it felt convoluted and not based in reality.

Adam's behavior always seems off but him leaving Jessa to go give it a try with Hannah and Hannah letting him step in like he hasn't been boning her best friend for months...I mean is a big WTF...I get the show wanted to resolve Adam and Hannah but I think they were resolved...

In life you don't always get the closure you are looking for or some big realization moment...

• Love 10
7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I totally agree.  Lena Dunham said more with her facial expressions than any words could have conveyed.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Pallas said:

The moment where we allow ourselves to know what we know: it will not happen. This thing I want so much? It will not happen. It's not how the story goes. This is not what will be. It's like coming out of the forest, in a fairy tale.

With Hannah, it happened in the cool of the night in the diner. Hannah stares at the man she loves and knows she will not live with, will not raise a child with -- will someday, forget to love -- and Lena's face was the picture of that discovery. And as you say, chocolatine, to see Adam prove how close he and Hannah came as he grasped it and then, no more willing than she, stepped all the way down to join her in the tundra of the new landscape, and spoke from there. "So what are your plans for the rest of the evening." Meaning, Well. Since you brought it up. So how will we do the rest of our lives.  

And this is all doubly true when you've gotten back together with 'one who got away', and then you have to remember why it ended in the first place. 

• Love 15

Hannah, Jessa and Adam just seem so dirty in this episode.  I was nauseated watching them.  Jessa looked like a drugged up skanky prostitute.

I felt the same and what about all the nasty things they could catch. I am glad this show is ending because they annoy me more and more.Was I that stupid at that age???

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, MV713 said:

Hannah, Jessa and Adam just seem so dirty in this episode.  I was nauseated watching them.  Jessa looked like a drugged up skanky prostitute.

She started the episode off in virginal white. Once she came up with the plan to fuck a rando, she had to put on the costume of a skank in order to feel like one again.  Then we see her at home inviting Adam back up in something that is a cross between the two. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Matias130 said:

I didnt expect Abigail to be such a deep person though, she seemed so stupid the previous season, kind of like that chubby woman on Millionaire Matchmaker who lived in a Hello Kitty world. 

This is such a random, non-contextual reference, and I love it. She seemed exactly like that. I'm not sure if it was intentional, like she was adapting herself to Shosh but her true self came out with Ray, or they just totally changed her personality for this episode. I really do like Abigail and Ray together.

• Love 6

It seemed to me that this episode only confirmed my belief that these characters are emotionally unstable, immature and unreliable. They live in their own little world of pretending they're wise and know themselves better than anyone could. The only person with some ambition, although it's probably detached from reality, is Elijah. This character is just pure honesty. He's not trying to show the world that he's anything other than what he is. He's bodacious and probably the only true friend that Hanna could possibly have. Elijah is that one characters that appears to be clownish, outspoken and overly confident but in fact he's frank, honest and loyal to the umpteenth degree. If at some point in the last two episodes Elijah turns his back on Hanna and leaves her hanging in the breeze, I'll turn my back on Girls forever because this character has my eternal trust to be there for her.

And there's Jessa, wearing her little mohair bikini top, hair a mess, and dark circles under her eyes, looked every inch like a hooker in need of another heroin fix. Her vomiting could have been because she's emotionally distressed over Adam going back to Hanna, or it could be that she's pregnant too. We'll find out soon enough but since Adam returned to her anyway, there's no big deal about it if she's pregnant because Adam will be there with her.

Whatever they did to make Lena Dunham look legitimately pregnant worked. There was no telltale sign of an appliance on her stomach. She even had the faint 'linea nigra', the darkened line that runs mid-line from the abdomen to the pubis. This was an exceptionally good touch for realism I thought.

I'm glad that Marnie wasn't in the episode this week, she's just too difficult to watch because of her obvious struggle with weight. I think there's more reasons for her to refuse to sign the show's 'nudity waiver' when she signed her contract than her principles against showing her body nude.  I think that the actress Allison Williams has always had a self-image problem. There have been many rumors about her struggling with an eating disorder but she denied this in Glamour Magazine in January. If she does have an eating disorder, she is in a great position as a public figure to really do something good for others who suffer from image or eating disorders. But for now anyway, she's going to go on denying it.

• Love 7
(edited)

This last season is a real head scratcher for me. I feel like the writers just pinned characters and storylines on a board and threw darts at them to create plots. It's hard to believe this is the last season and this is how the show will end with rushed plots and half-hearted storylines. And watching the ATE, they are explaining things they are not demostrsted in the episodes at all in my opinion. 

I know others are praising Lena's acting in the diner scene but her crying face takes me completely out of the moment. Same thing happened last week when she cried after the phone call to the baby's father. She quivers her lip and it just drives me nuts. I think someone praised her crying face once and now she does that every dang time and it seems very practiced and calculated. Not natural. But maybe it's just me. 

Like @Giesela I don't get all the Jessa hate either. And her breakdown in the bathroom made me a little emotional. I think she truly cares for Adam. And might be pregnant with his baby? That's how I saw it and a comment by Lena in the ATE maybe confirmed it?

Edited by UGAmp
  • Love 8
(edited)

I know others are praising Lena's acting in the diner scene but her crying face takes me completely out of the moment.

Not me, anytime she cries I feel it. I got real sad for her when she was about to cry from Elijah telling her she would be a bad mother, that face she made, made me go aw, poor thing. This time her face got really red to accompany those tears, and I think the silent crying gets me every time as opposed to the loud, distraught, falling on one's knees crying. Not to mention, the crying coming for some hard truth and realization. I was waiting for it, because the entire time she spent with Adam seemed like a trance to me.  I was waiting for reality to hit and it was good when it did.

I felt the same and what about all the nasty things they could catch. I am glad this show is ending because they annoy me more and more.Was I that stupid at that age???

LOL, OK, glad to know it's not just me. Look I get that people hook up, but some random guy, in some crusty bar, in some nasty bathroom? Vomit inducing scene, glad she didn't go through with it, it didn't look like she did. She mumbled something to the effect of I don't want this/you, then the next scene she's bent over crying and the guy seems to be gone.   I guess the scene was to show me how much in that moment she hated herself, to go back to being that destructive again. But by the end of it you see that she decides to choose against the self-destruction. I mean you can pick up an STD from the partner you thought you were monogamous with because they were fucking around, but still, the randomness was just gross.  Ugh, then Hannah fucking Adam, who's been with Jessa, there's too much six degrees of separation for my taste. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 5
(edited)

One other detail that I just remembered  was Ray telling Abigail (Shosh's former boss, is that her name?) that he's inherited *multiple* businesses from Hermie. It made me think that if Marnie had stopped thinking only about herself for a few minutes and showed Ray some empathy when he was grieving, she could now be the girlfriend of a man of means, which is what she's always wanted. Oh, the irony!

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 13

Okay, I get that Hannah's tears at dinner where from her realization that things weren't going to go the way that she had wanted, but I'm still unclear exactly what triggered that moment of clarity. Was it that Adam was talking about marriage in an unromantic way? (I feel stupid asking this question, but I really am curious.)

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

Not me, anytime she cries I feel it. I got real sad for her when she was about to cry from Elijah telling her she would be a bad mother, that face she made, made me go aw, poor thing. This time her face got really red to accompany those tears, and I think the silent crying gets me every time as opposed to the loud, distraught, falling on one's knees crying. Not to mention, the crying coming for some hard truth and realization. I was waiting for it, because the entire time she spent with Adam seemed like a trance to me.  I was waiting for reality to hit and it was good when it did.

It felt exactly the same to me, which is why I thought it worked. Adam came to her and said exactly what she was desperate to hear, so she just kind of went along with it and they fell into their familiar patterns without giving it much thought. As soon as reality caught up with her, she realized it wasn't what she actually wants, and Adam could read it on her face the moment it hit her. I thought the diner scene was great non verbal acting; it made sense to me.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for Adam (I've always loved Driver's performance), but I found their scenes utterly charming even as I could feel the other shoe waiting to drop. But I also thought Adam was being incredibly selfish. What he said to Jessa about needing to explore this desire to help Hannah raise her child is almost exactly what he said to Hannah about Mimi Rose. And just as he did then, he went crawling back as soon as his fantasy fell apart. 

Did not see Ray/Abigail coming, but I was definitely charmed by it. I'm thinking my Ray/Shosh dreams are not meant to be, but this is a pretty cool alternative.

9 minutes ago, waterytart said:

Okay, I get that Hannah's tears at dinner where from her realization that things weren't going to go the way that she had wanted, but I'm still unclear exactly what triggered that moment of clarity. Was it that Adam was talking about marriage in an unromantic way? (I feel stupid asking this question, but I really am curious.)

I thought it was just the idea of them being married at all. It brought home for her how serious their discussion actually was, and kind of shook her out of the daze she'd been in with him all day. 

• Love 10

Something about the look and feel of this show reminds me of the 1970's, especially the way Jessa dresses - halter top and short-shorts, long flowing hair. Or the horizontal striped shirts. Hannah's clothes seem very 1970's too. Then there's the sex in the public bathroom and just the casual sex overall. 

I love Sample and Laird wearing matching beanies. So cute.

• Love 9

I think what he was offering her was exactly what she wanted, it's just that the pain of her past with him, specifically the Mimi Rose and then Jessa situations, caught up to her, and she broke down. thus the tears. I thought Lena did a great job of conveying those emotions, it was painful to watch if you've ever been in the same boat.

Great acting all around.

• Love 9