Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: Embarrassing the Sister Wives

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, ChicagoChris said:

If my daughter ever demanded I pay for her honeymoon, I'd tell her to pound sand.

I completely agree but I kind of thought it was funny. I believe Kody is dictating the timing of the wedding because of the show so I figure Mykelti knows this and is hanging it over his head and basically blackmailing him. Don't get me wrong. She's a huge spoiled brat. But I hate Kody so much I think the whole brat vs brat thing to be pretty funny. 

• Love 8

I was getting stabby listing to the "ink" speak tonight. Maybe it was their nerves but everyone was saying "ink" instead of "ing" at the end of their words.

Yeah, telling the parents they will pay for half, no most, no all of the honeymoon was unbelievable. And I still don't understand what she was saying about how she wouldn't have the money in August and still wouldn't have the money in December so that is the reason they had to pay for the honeymoon. Loved how one of the moms (Christine maybe?) was trying to ask where they wanted to honeymoon but no one was listening. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, toodles said:

Well, I disagree with "windstorm".  That is a typical spring day here in Vegas.

Sweet baby jeebus.  Wth was that?  They will get married in December if you pay for the honeymoon?  The grifter apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  And that idiot kody agrees?  I would have wrote a check for $50 bucks for a marriage license and wished them luck.  I'm just floored.

People don't get the wind here unless they live in the area. It's pretty common, though Laughlin gets it way worse(lived there for several years before here).

And what a couple of snots! My parents would've said "see ya!" had I made such a bargaining request. Entitled brats.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Hell's bells. I screwed up the season and episode numbers on the topic! Damn DirecTV and their information. If a mod can fix it I would appreciate it. ETA: Nevermind, I figured out how to fix it!

So they keep Mykelti and Tony on blast for "jonesing" for each other, yet it it obvious that Maddie and Caleb are living together. Hypocrites. This episode was also another promo for How Wonderful Polygamy Is, with Janelle getting in the comment about how her sister wives took over looking after the little ones when she went to Wyoming early, Kody praising the shit out his wives, that 15 minute love-fest between Robyn and Christine and the endless comments about how wonderful it was to have FOUR MOMS to help out. Bleh. 

Love that Janelle wants to go fishing the morning of the wedding. Way to check out there, Janelle.

Mykelti learned how to manipulate her dad at her mother's knee.

Does Janelle even know how to fish? None of these women seem like the outdoorsy types.............

• Love 2

Apparently so. They all said she loves to fish. And she is the one who would rather go camping than go on a fly-away somewhere and stay in a hotel vacay.

But let's not talk about the one night she spent in the tee-pee in Kody's dad's yard before they married.....

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 3

Mykelti should have been told what my kids were.  I will pay for your education, but not your wedding.  The education is so you can afford to pay for the wedding and the rest of your life. 

In her case I would probably have said something no, not paying for the wedding,  I will save $100 a month for the divorce. 

• Love 19

We're in the process of planning my daughter's wedding-her dad and I gave her a budget and said however she wanted to allocate the money was up to her. She's our only daughter and we're financially able to help, so were happy to do so, and she was grateful. Plus she and her fiancé are happily paying for some things on their own. I cannot imagine her even thinking about pimping us for honeymoon money as well. Outrageous. 

• Love 11

Is it just me or does Mindy look very much like Meri. I thought it was Meri until I noticed the name on the screen.

I thought this as well. I thought that the plan might be to swap one for the other and the audience will never know the difference! Or they can do a voiceover saying "The role of Meri Brown will now be played by Mindy." Just put Mindy in some Lularoe and the swap will be complete.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 19

This is the most animated I’ve ever seen Janelle.  I don’t think the older kids really accept Robyn as a mom, so I can understand why she “chose” not to go Maddie’s dress fitting.

Robyn made a lot of sense regarding how Kody should handle Mykelti.  However, I can’t imagine any of the first three wives telling him, “I love you, but please stop talking.”  They wouldn’t dare speak to him in that manner.

I think Tony is a lot more devious than he looks.  I don’t believe it was Mykelti’s idea to con negotiate with her family about the wedding and honeymoon. 

• Love 9

I was grossed out by Tony sitting on the sofa arm, I wouldn't want his butt on my furniture like that. Also in that scene I noticed Robyn's daughter who likes to insert herself in the picture was sitting right next to Mykelti.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

Does Janelle even know how to fish? None of these women seem like the outdoorsy types.............

Fishing is about as "athletic" and "outdoorsy" as Janelle has ever been.

1 hour ago, TomGirl said:

How checked out is Meri??  I'm an hour and a half into the show and I don't think she's said two words.  No eye contact either.  That is one unhappy woman!

She was even so checked out as to not realize she was on camera picking eye boogers and then looking at it.

1 hour ago, LotusFlower said:

The scene of spoiled brat Mykelti and her silent snotty partner FT "negotiating" a free honeymoon, followed by her commentary that she's "proud" of how she manipulated them, is one of the worst displays of character I've ever seen on this show.  And that's saying something, on a show with Kadouche , Sobbin' Robyn, and Meri and her wet bar demands, etc... 

ITA, it's Kodouche reaping what he's sown with Mykelti.  In her case the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.  It was even worse finding out how premeditated the entire "bargaining session" was.  What kind of family would let a daughter do that?  It was a new level of dysfunction even for them.  I do wonder how much creepy Tony had to do with suggesting the "trade off".  I think he is on board to ride the gravy train.  He's not in a rush because of hormones but because he's afraid the TLC money will dry up if he doesn't get married ASAP.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

The scene of spoiled brat Mykelti and her silent snotty partner FT "negotiating" a free honeymoon, followed by her commentary that she's "proud" of how she manipulated them, is one of the worst displays of character I've ever seen on this show.  And that's saying something, on a show with Kadouche , Sobbin' Robyn, and Meri and her wet bar demands, etc...  

Compare that with Madison's engagement and how she talked about it.  One moment I remember is how Maddie wanted to tell Christine about her engagement privately because of the special role Christine played in raising her, and I thought that was really sweet and really mature.  Yes, they're showing her all stressed out in this episode, and I don't think Janelle came across that well tonight, either, but Logan seems like such a decent guy, and Maddie is so thoughtful, so Janelle obviously did something right.  

And then there's Mykelti....

I totally agree it was one of the worst displays of character on this show to date, however, I don't think it's fair to lay that at Christine's feet. Aspyn seems very sweet and thoughtful and a caretaker of her younger siblings. (The others are too young to really know what they're like.) I think when they talk about Mykelti marching to her own beat and breaking out of the mold--part of that also refers to the fact that she's always been the most willful and manipulative, even if they'd never call it that. Even the things Tony said about being a Mykelti whisperer (while terrible in and of themselves) did not reflect on her very well.

I used to like Janelle the best of all the moms but this season there's more about how deep her issues run and how weirdly awkward/detatched she is and I'm having trouble empathizing. What the heck is overwhelming her about "planning" a wedding that Maddie clearly has already done all the organizing for when she doesn't even have a job or young kids around? Ridiculous. How had she never heard about how Caleb proposed and it echoing that earlier 4-wheeler ride? And going fishing the morning of the wedding as the mother of the bride? WHAT? I mean she has some serious fear issues about being present for people in her life. That's really sad.

Robyn and Christine are BFFs? Uh, okay. That whole long segment yet not a word about what precipitated this sudden shift. Catfish aftermath, maybe? 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, LotusFlower said:

Compare that with Madison's engagement and how she talked about it.  One moment I remember is how Maddie wanted to tell Christine about her engagement privately because of the special role Christine played in raising her, and I thought that was really sweet and really mature.  Yes, they're showing her all stressed out in this episode, and I don't think Janelle came across that well tonight, either, but Logan seems like such a decent guy, and Maddie is so thoughtful, so Janelle obviously did something right.  

Or Christine did.  Due to circumstances, Janelle was a weekend mother.  She was gone before the kids woke up.  Logan cared for them all before school, and Christine parented M-F after school, and made dinner.  I don't think Janelle got home until late in the evening.  She said she preferred to be at work than with her children, and that made a great symbiotic relationship with Christine, who felt the exact opposite.  Maddie has also credited some of her attributes as coming from Meri.  And the whole group stated Maddie got her organization from Meri.

I didn't think Mykelti was nearly as bed as others here think.  The moms all appreciated her "negotiating", except perhaps Janelle.  And they all thought Mykelti was playing Kody's game, so she learned at his knee.  Doesn't hurt for Kody to get a taste of his own medicine.

I am not at all gung ho about Tony.  I think Mykelti can do far better, but she's settling as did her mother.  Christine was polygamy royalty, yet wanted to marry a man who claimed to be disgusted at watching her eat nachos.  She could have had her pick, but chose this bozo.  But let's be honest, no one will get the blow out wedding and attention that Maddie is receiving.  Mykelti wasn't even asking for much.  A small, private outdoor wedding - only location restriction was not Christine's backyard.  So she won't get Maddie's grande wedding, didn't get Mariah's very expensive private education.  She's already tying herself to a schlump, give her a honeymoon.

I find it so very interesting that Logan and Aspyn are showing no signs of rushing down the aisle.  They remind me of Jana Duggar.  They've all been placed in the position of raising their younger siblings (which there are far too many of), and being forced to take on the responsibilities of an adult/parent.  There seems to be no rush to start their own litter - they've already raised a dozen.  Yet both Logan's and Aspyn's next youngest siblings, who seemed sheltered from the excessive responsibility, are choosing to wed as teenagers.

And I'm sorry, no one I know has used a wedding planner.  They've planned them themselves - while having full time jobs, and with help from a few friends or family members, not twenty people or so.  Since Maddie no longer goes to school, and perhaps doesn't even have a job, why can't she handle this?  Her first mistake was not putting Meri in charge.  Shit would have been done.  But relying on Mykelti, Mariah, and Aspyn - all three students with jobs, is such a selfish move, IMO.  I'm not going to make it through this wedding liking Maddie as I once did.  She's turned into such a special snowflake.  We hear nothing about Aspyn, and have we even seen Logan?  If they've chosen to have minimum involvement in this show - I love these two even more. 

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

Tony being called the Mykelti whisperer is creepy and I just don't like the sound of that at all!

ITA.  Bone chilling, even.

6 minutes ago, taragel said:

I used to like Janelle the best of all the moms but this season there's more about how deep her issues run and how weirdly awkward/detatched she is and I'm having trouble empathizing. What the heck is overwhelming her about "planning" a wedding that Maddie clearly has already done all the organizing for when she doesn't even have a job or young kids around? Ridiculous. How had she never heard about how Caleb proposed and it echoing that earlier 4-wheeler ride? And going fishing the morning of the wedding as the mother of the bride? WHAT? I mean she has some serious fear issues about being present for people in her life. That's really sad.

Janelle seems to find a lot about the lifestyle she's chosen to be outside of her wheelhouse, like child raising and family event planning, etc.  It's obvious she chose this lifestyle because she is so emotionally detached from and unable to handle everything that she likes having the support/insulation of other wives to pick up her slack.  Years ago when a lot of people were championing Janelle as so much smarter/wiser than the other wives I never got on board with that and kept saying that if she was so smart she wouldn't have chosen to stay in what is actually a rut in her life where she trades her independence and freedom for a life that really isn't suited for her personality.  It's a rough fit for her.  No wonder she eats.  She's stuffing a lot of feelings down deep.

• Love 15

I don't even understand how mykelti has any room to negotiate a wedding/honeymoon. So she and Tony wouldn't be able to afford a honeymoon in August or December, nor could they afford to pay for a wedding in August or December, yet they are making demands of the people they expect to pay for everything? How dumb are her parents for falling for it and giving in? 

I was always a fan of Janelle but I seriously disliked her this episode. I get she doesn't like planning things and seems to prefer to be an observer rather than a participate. The thing is, when your daughter is getting married, particularly when you approve of the marriage,  you need to be her head cheerleader and go 100% into helping her plan her dream wedding. Maybe Maddie wouldn't be so stressed if she had her mom helping more. Janelle basically Inferred she would be happy to just show up at the shower and the wedding. She doesn't even seem thrilled her daughter is getting married. I feel bad for Maddie seeing this. Janelle appears to have no interest in this at all. 

It's interesting Janelle didn't want Mykelti getting married in August because it would upset Maddie. All I could think was that Janelle didn't want to have to help plan a wedding so soon and wanted her freedom from group activities. 

I did wonder why Medi wasn't helping with the crafts. I don't doubt she would have had it all ready before they left for Wyoming.  

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, taragel said:

I totally agree it was one of the worst displays of character on this show to date, however, I don't think it's fair to lay that at Christine's feet. 

I didn't, or at least I didn't mean to.  I totally meant to lay it at Kody's feet!  He is the master of spin and manipulation.  In fact, I think Christine seems like the warmest and most loving mom, as well as the less manipulative of all the sister wives, as I tried to imply by pointing out Maddie's special acknowledgement to her when she got engaged.  I did notice, however, Christine defending Mykelti's bargaining skills ("She's negotiating something she wants!  Good for her!"), but I'll give her a pass.  After all, to be a sister wife is to learn how to negotiate to get anything, so I guess they see it as a skill to admire.  Logan and Maddie don't seem like this, though, which is curious.

• Love 3

Is Mindy one of Maddie's bridesmaids?  That's interesting.  Too bad Maddie couldn't honor Savannah in some way.  Call her a "junior bridesmaid" or something.  She's so quiet she seems to get lost in the shuffle.  Ysabel gets a little lost, too.  Savannah has had her moments of dominating couch segment over the other kids, so good for her.  Hopefully she'll be more like Maddie than her mother.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

Feel like someone needs to talk with Maddie. She keeps using the word bohemian and from what I have seen, that word doesn't mean what she thinks it means. There is nothing about Maddie's dress that is bohemian. Nothing bohemian about dream catchers either, but I guess.  Her dress is the typical Kleinfeld strapless, complete with sparkly belt. 

I know, she reminds me of some of the weddings on the old TLC show "Four Weddings" like the one where the bride kept saying the wedding was going to have a Parisian theme, meanwhile the venue was in a barn with a Caribbean buffet and Carnivale-like performers and the only nod to anything "Parisian" were the place cards that said "Paris" on them.  We talked about Maddie's misinterpretation at the end of last season too.  All it would take is Google imaging on "bohemian wedding" for her to get a clue, but noooo.  And how about picking a theme that you have a chance in hell of successfully duplicating?  Christine and Robyn in that furniture store grasping at straws to come up with something even vaguely bohemian was pathetic!

• Love 4

They were all but saying M&C were living together. 

I just saw on Twitter that Maddie is pregnant. I guess she's pretty far along. But it's the first I've heard about it.  They didn't waste any time. 

Edited by Cara

Fell asleep part through this snooze fest, but caught some and the previews. Tony and Mykekti are young adults. Why is it their sex life any business of Kody's? And a previous chat with Tony, asking him to not discourage any future grandchildren from polygamy? Tony should have gotten up and left. This fool crosses so many boundaries.  He really thinks he's King of the world, doesn't he?

Edited by jacksgirl
Clarity
  • Love 7

Maddie was just as unlikeable as Mykelti this episode. 

How many times did we have to hear "Well, we really wanted to get married in August, but....." 

Robyn and Christine and their BFF love for each other, barf!!! I get such a phony vibe from Christine. I've said this before but I swear Christine medicates. I think she's on anti-depressants or something. 

Why does Robyn's niece live with her? Great idea to bring one more mouth to feed in to the family. Can't unemployed princess Robyn take care of her kids on her own? 

Meri, HELLO, earth to Meri, are you out there??

I still think all the mommies hate each other, I don't care how hard they are trying to spin it for the TLC paycheck. 

• Love 9

I love Tony. He's such a grifter. Fits right into this family. 

When they "negotiate"/demand a honeymoon, they don't expect the Browns to pay for it. They know it would be provided by TLC in exchange for allowing their courtship/wedding to be filmed. 

• Love 21
2 hours ago, TomGirl said:

How rude and cruel was Christine to go on and on about Meri's failure to produce more children, knowing how devastating that was to Meri.  I generally like Christine, but that was beyond bitchy.

You beat me to it! But yeah, that was cruel. Keep scratching at Meri's wound why don't you? I may not be crazy about Meri, but it's bad enough that she probably thinks she's failed as a polygamous wife; being in a culture where a woman's worth lies in getting married and having lots of children - which is what Meri said she wanted - to have a lot of children.

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 8

And then there's Mykelti....

Maddie didn't have to ask for anything, or negotiate anything. All 5 parents came running to give her whatever she wanted. They are bending over backwards for Maddie's out-of-state wedding, but forcing Mykelti to ask and negotiate. It may just be poor planning (throwing all resources at one child when you have 18 kids), but it also smells a little of favoritism.

Not to mention all the attention being heaped on the two kids who dropped out of college and are getting married at 19 without a single skill that would help them get a good job, and no attention or praise being heaped on the kids who are staying in college and being responsible. Maybe Logan, Aspyn, and Mariah should try to negotiate for a vacation paid for by Kody.

Edited by Kellyee
  • Love 23
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

All it would take is Google imaging on "bohemian wedding"

So I just did this.  It seems bohemian is another word for hippy....so, a hippy wedding.  

1 hour ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

You beat me to it! But yeah, that was cruel. Way to keep scratching at Meri's wound why don't you? I may not be crazy about Meri, but it's bad enough that she probably thinks she's failed as a polygamous wife; being in a culture where a woman's worth lies in getting married and having lots of children - which is what Meri said she wanted - to have a lot of children.

believe me....even in a monogamous marriage, dealing with infertility can be devastating.

• Love 3