Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

And I just found something interesting that probably every single person on this board knows and I'm just super late to the party - his family and their camp was on "World's Strictest Parents" about 9 years ago, some of the episode info says a lot about how Austin was raised and maybe why his personality is the way it is.

I think it may say something about why he expects Joy to pitch in with manual labor even when she's in late-stage pregnancy. In "World's Strictest Parents," Austin was shown at age 15 working with his parents and sister from sunrise until sunset, even outdoors in the rain. That seemed to be the routine in their household. Oh, and pants didn't seem to be an issue per se for the parents, but "immodest dress" certainly was. Austin's dad forced their exchange daughter to change into a baggy t-shirt and jeans lest Austin be subject to impure thoughts as a result of her skimpy outfit (as it was, Austin had to use a couch cushion to cover his crotch's, uh, reaction to her original low-cut top and short skirt).

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

I thought someone said that Joy and Austin are living with his parents.  If true, I wonder how that's going. 

I thought they had moved into their own place months ago. We saw pictures of John David’s birthday at their place in January. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, lascuba said:

This was super wierd to me, since I was under the impression that the house they were working on during their engagement/marriage was meant to be their longterm home. I'm wondering if Austin doesn't have enough of a financial cushion to leave a house unflipped. If that's the case and they're basically living off the proceeds of one house sale at a time, then that's just bad financial planning, whatever money Joy brings in notwithstanding. 

That house is too small for a long time home, even if they spend time outdoors or out of the house. If I remember correctly, it has one bathroom, a bunch of bedrooms and a small tight open concept mainroom. Hopefully they will settle in a larger house for their growing family. 

Edited by Temperance

They thought they were gonna sleep in a tepee?  She’s 7+ months pregnant?  That seems really uncomfortable.  Then add to it how cold it clearly was and Joy can’t wear pants?

Then we add a boat to this mess... I do not believe pregnant women are invalids but i would have never gotten in a boat like that when I was that pregnant much less in the middle of winter.

This whole trip was ridiculous, I assume their midwife Jill approved this as a healthy activity!

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 7

That's about the best and happiest Joy may have ever looked. Her skin looks good; her brows are groomed and minimal make up. She appears tidy and happy with her little man. 

I know they'll never split but I eventually I see them living separately with the same household. Austrils with his interests and Joy raising kids and hanging with compound dwellers.

• Love 8

I'll say this about Joy in this episode: She's actually a pretty adaptable wife, who exhibits no diva-like qualities (**cough, cough** Jessa **cough**). I don't know if it's because she's dim or because she likes the same types of things Austrils likes. Being trained to "keep sweet" is one thing, but I feel like Joy's reactions are more authentic. I could see Joy and Austin living completely off the grid in the middle of nowhere though, that is just the vibe they give off, at least to me. I think a previous poster (either on this thread or on a different thread) indicated that Joy and Austin were completely different from Jeremy and Jinger, and I agree that these two couples seem to be the most different from one another in some respects.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I'll say this about Joy in this episode: She's actually a pretty adaptable wife, who exhibits no diva-like qualities (**cough, cough** Jessa **cough**). I don't know if it's because she's dim or because she likes the same types of things Austrils likes. Being trained to "keep sweet" is one thing, but I feel like Joy's reactions are more authentic. I could see Joy and Austin living completely off the grid in the middle of nowhere though, that is just the vibe they give off, at least to me. I think a previous poster (either on this thread or on a different thread) indicated that Joy and Austin were completely different from Jeremy and Jinger, and I agree that these two couples seem to be the most different from one another in some respects.

See I think JoyNost and JinJer are exactly alike as far as couples go.  Joy likes a lot of the same outdoorsy things Nostrils does, and neither seems to be pretentious. She’s got a better sense of humor (so do rocks), but they’re both worker bees. Joy gets things done and probably executes lists well. Austin probably does well doling out tasks. It just works. 

Jinger likes fashion, has hobbies (piano, photography), and is typically millennial in a lot of ways with SM interests. Jeremy also likes clothes, is very, very social media conscious, and has unique interests of his own (reading, athletics).  

These couples like opposite things, but they are similarly compatible if you see Jinger as the city mouse and Joy as the country mouse.  I don’t even think Jinger is necessarily happier, although Joy does look unhappy at times.  I just think Joy’s reactions are more authentic. She questioned her faith pretty strongly at one time, so she may not keep as sweet.  Jinger OTOH isn’t going to crack the facade even if she is mad. 

• Love 22
On 8/9/2018 at 6:09 AM, lascuba said:

This was super wierd to me, since I was under the impression that the house they were working on during their engagement/marriage was meant to be their longterm home. I'm wondering if Austin doesn't have enough of a financial cushion to leave a house unflipped. If that's the case and they're basically living off the proceeds of one house sale at a time, then that's just bad financial planning, whatever money Joy brings in notwithstanding. 

Someone asked him about getting paid for the show on instagram and he said that being on the show was their ministry. He alluded to them not being paid for it. 

• Love 4
On 8/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, awaken said:

That really does not sound healthy, for a baby and potentially perpetually pregnant woman, from a toxic mold, construction dust, rusty nails, power tools, and potential lead paint exposure standpoint! 

But, but, but they have the Lort protecting them.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, asuwur said:

That's about the best and happiest Joy may have ever looked. Her skin looks good; her brows are groomed and minimal make up. She appears tidy and happy with her little man. 

I know they'll never split but I eventually I see them living separately with the same household. Austrils with his interests and Joy raising kids and hanging with compound dwellers.

She photographs much better than she films.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, rainclouds said:

Someone asked him about getting paid for the show on instagram and he said that being on the show was their ministry. He alluded to them not being paid for it. 

So Derick was honest about this part.  

I’m sure JB has convinced them that the married adults need to help out on the show for free so that JB and Michelle can afford to take care of the minors and Jana. 

It also explains an article I saw where the offspring are getting annoyed with the amount of time they are being filmed.   

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

So Derick was honest about this part.  

I’m sure JB has convinced them that the married adults need to help out on the show for free so that JB and Michelle can afford to take care of the minors and Jana. 

It also explains an article I saw where the offspring are getting annoyed with the amount of time they are being filmed.   

I still don't understand why Derick and Austin would sign paperwork allowing them to be filmed but not compensated.  Not only have them been filmed, they have also participated with talking heads and any other promotional photo shoots of the network.  They are adults, did their parents never teach them to read all contracts before signing? Why would you do this for free?  Why would you allow your father-in-law to get all the money?  I don't think the either Jill or Joy is worth all this hassle.  I don't for one second think that Jeremy was this naive. 

• Love 17

My guess is that money from the program gets paid to a corporation owned, operated, and controlled by JB.  From there, he doles out cash or other compensation as he sees fit.  Tax wise, this may be beneficial, I don't know.  Control wise, this benefits JB and his bride more than anyone else.  

I understand the Duggar offspring going along with this, but I can't understand why any of the in-laws would sign on to appear on a profit driven television program without adequate compensation.  JB must have some kind of charm and powers of persuasion IRL that don't come across in his public personae.  

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I still don't understand why Derick and Austin would sign paperwork allowing them to be filmed but not compensated.  Not only have them been filmed, they have also participated with talking heads and any other promotional photo shoots of the network.  They are adults, did their parents never teach them to read all contracts before signing? Why would you do this for free?  Why would you allow your father-in-law to get all the money?  I don't think the either Jill or Joy is worth all this hassle.  I don't for one second think that Jeremy was this naive. 

It was only Derick that claimed no compensation.   Austin has made no statements to that effect.

• Love 5

I do think that photo of Joy upthread is nice and gives me a little hope that she's doing better.  I have been reading concerns about her for awhile around here, but, was hesitant to believe, but, now I do.

Something is off there.  At once I saw Austen as reasonable and kind, but, maybe, I didn't get the full picture. Maybe, the two of them living in a camper should have tipped me off.    Now, he seems to be uncaring, nonchalant and rather ignorant.  His physical characteristics do not bother me.  That he can't help, but, he does have the ability to show compassion and concern for his pregnant wife and I just didn't get that recently on air. He was more concerned with fishing worms than his very pregnant wife sitting in a frozen body of water......it's really incomprehensible.

And, while I have my beef with Jim Bob and Michelle, I'd be on my way to take care of matters regarding my daughter if I saw her being treated that way on tv.  The ship would hit the fan......married, living with her husband, of legal age, whatever, that would not matter to me as her parents.....I'd make arrangements for the safety of my daughter. Austin would have to deal with me regarding my daughter and grandchild's welfare.   So, I hope Austin gets some kind of feedback on his conduct.  I really hope someone is trying to help Joy.  Good luck, girl.  Look out for you and your son. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 15

Did anyone notice when the camera panned to Joy's feet when she was using that big saw?  She was wearing open-toed sandals!  Are you kidding me?!  Anyone with half a brain would know better.   And what in the hell was Austin using to remove her splinter?!

That "babymoon."  She was heavily pregnant, in a frozen lake, no life jacket in a small boat.  Fishing.  She was clearly freezing but trying to be a good sport.  I felt so sorry for her.

And so the plan is they are going to constantly be flipping houses and moving.  In other words, they will be constantly be living in a construction zone with (no doubt) babies.  Ugh, no. I don't have a good feeling about Austin.

• Love 23
6 hours ago, debbie311 said:

That "babymoon."  She was heavily pregnant, in a frozen lake, no life jacket in a small boat.  Fishing.  She was clearly freezing but trying to be a good sport.  I felt so sorry for her.

She was also wearing thin anklet socks, cheap boots, and a skirt.  She had to be freezing!

• Love 7
16 hours ago, rainclouds said:

13 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

It was only Derick that claimed no compensation.   Austin has made no statements to that effect.

Yeah, if all he said was it is their ministry, there's the chance he was using careful wording to avoid answering the question directly. After all, "real" ministers (i.e., church staff members) generally get paid for their ministry. And I know plenty of Christians who consider their paid vocation (such as teaching or nursing) to be their "ministry."   

I honestly don't know why Nostrils would feel the need to be coy about making money from the show, though, as long as they aren't also begging for donations like the Dullards. 

• Love 5

I think Austin learned that he is less of an outdoorsman than he thought when they were living in the camper. Joy was fine with it and Austin wasn't. I'm guessing they'll build a home - maybe on the Forsyth's land - and Austin will continue to buy and flip houses without living in them.

I'm still trying to figure Austin out. He appears dry and humorless on camera, hopefully he's not IRL.

I'm with @Portia, Austin didn't say he wasn't being paid for appearing on Counting On. How much TLC pays the family members has always been a well kept secret, a secret that this generation seems to be keeping as well.

I believe married couples are compensated either directly from TLC or from a family account. Ben and Jessa could not afford all these trips in addition to everyday expenses, JD couldn't afford gas for the plane for jaunts to Oklahoma, Joe couldn't afford to renovate an entire home, Jinger couldn't afford to purchase a home, etc.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, debbie311 said:

And so the plan is they are going to constantly be flipping houses and moving.  In other words, they will be constantly be living in a construction zone with (no doubt) babies.  Ugh, no. I don't have a good feeling about Austin.

Joy is going to age very fast. 

• Love 7

So Pickles has several pictures up of Josh and Co. at Indoctrination Camp Family Camp. There's one of the little boys in front of a horse and several people noticed the halter wasn't properly placed and the horse's body condition wasn't the greatest. Apparently the Forsyths put about as much effort into their animals as the Duggars and Rodriguii:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1694887193943416&id=269181913180625&set=ms.c.eJw9zskNwDAMA8GOAh3Uwf4bC6zE~_g5oazWJbpBllUw~_OhAFJzxSF~%3BIsmvZDKgYCu6CkiplfYMyiFvqDvlBSB2qvlPgHcUHjdMBkgQOa~_2RK4VvKmnTvWyo9Z~%3BP~%3BgxqT7ooXP4U0jA~-~-.bps.a.1694884953943640.1073741934.269181913180625&source=48

I think my seven year-old niece has better penmanship than Joy.

They're back in the camper?! Good grief. Why don't they just rent a cheap apartment? If they're building a house, it's not going to be done any time soon, if Austin's history is any indication. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, louannems said:

I see GiddyUp is bottle feeding.  Has she weaned early due to pregnancy?  Or maybe it just didn't work out.

Maybe he wasn't gaining weight? A lot of people thought he looked pretty scrawny for his age, so I wonder if his pediatrician told Joy to supplement with formula.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm not going to knock Joy's penmanship because my own is atrocious, but it looks like she misspelled vacuum. . . . 

But she noticed it was wrong, went back, and corrected it!  That's something of progress there.

• Love 20

I can't knock her spelling because I almost always make the same mistake and put 2 c's instead of 2 u's when writing vacuum. I even did it just now. 

I don't think living in a camper with a newborn would be an issue, however, once he starts crawling things are going to feel very cramped due to lack of floor space.

• Love 14

The "to do" list is funny.  "Dishes?" - who needs to put dishes on a to-do list?  I mean, don't you wash them as you use them, like after the meal?  I can't imagine in an RV you would have much space to let dirty dishes pile up.

Is that going to be their life now?  They build a house, move in, sell it, then move back into the RV and start the cycle again?  There is no way I would want to live that way, especially with a baby.  I guess they can't afford to have a permanent home while doing the house-flipping thing.  Apparently JimBob did not do a proper job of vetting his future son-in-law, as to whether he could adequately support a family.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, debbie311 said:

The "to do" list is funny.  "Dishes?" - who needs to put dishes on a to-do list?  I mean, don't you wash them as you use them, like after the meal?  I can't imagine in an RV you would have much space to let dirty dishes pile up.

Is that going to be their life now?  They build a house, move in, sell it, then move back into the RV and start the cycle again?  There is no way I would want to live that way, especially with a baby.  I guess they can't afford to have a permanent home while doing the house-flipping thing.  Apparently JimBob did not do a proper job of vetting his future son-in-law, as to whether he could adequately support a family.

Those dishes drying on the four inches of countertop are ready to fall off.  Imagine two adults trying to pass in that tiny area and brushing against things.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Apparently JimBob did not do a proper job of vetting his future son-in-law, as to whether he could adequately support a family.

I thought Austin was way more cash positive than this. Unless he's a massive cheapskate, he can't be doing all that well if they're forced to live in a camper until the next project is done. IIRC, wasn't Austin another one who said he and Joy don't get paid from the show? Might want to rethink that strategy, buddy.

• Love 5