Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

11 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Has anyone else been having a hard time socially this week? Our town has a preschool "indoor playground" thing, and I didn't take my son to it all week (we usually go all the time) because I don't want to face the other SAHMs who probably voted for Trump. So to get out of the house, all I've done is go to the store a few times, and when the clerk asks how I'm doing, I say "....I'm okay." Normally I cheerfully say I'm great. 

Yes.  It's been difficult to bounce back.  I alternate between sadness and rage.  I've even found myself furious with my Christian friends (disclosure: I'm one, too, but not always the best one).  I've deeply hate that I find myself looking twice at friends I have known for years and wondering, "Did you vote for Trump while smiling in my face everyday?"

If it weren't for my in-laws traveling down from New York yesterday, I don't know what I would have done.  We were able to get VIP tickets for the African American History Museum and will be going tomorrow.  I am looking forward to it and find it quite symbolic given what's happened in the last couple of days.  We're taking them to dinner tonight and will be dining with them Sunday morning before they fly back to New York.  

That's why I'm so grateful for our little support group here.  Fortunately, most of my FB friends are in the same boat as me so I haven't had to deal with troll attacks derailing our conversations.  Hopefully, I'll bounce back by Monday next week, but this hurts on so many levels.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

I remember all of that.

I had foolishly put Trump in the same category as clueless, venal Palin. I expected him to go down in flames and become an even bigger national punchline. Thank goodness I recognized the threat enough that I did vote HC so at least I can live with myself. But, to the last gasp I never thought he would win.

I did the same.  My husband (who is generally a worrywart) started to get nervous, and I kept saying to him, "Two words.  Sarah Palin." 

I was so, so wrong.

Although, did anyone ever ask Donald Trump what newspapers he read?  And if not, why the hell not?  The answer would have been similarly enlightening, I'm sure.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 6

I was getting my yearly Mammogram and it just happened to be the day after the election for awhile everything was fine but then someone brought up the election and BOOM!  A fight broke out among a bunch of women in gowns waiting to get their boobs checked.   I mostly stayed out of it but I stupidly jokenly commented on how some kangaroo or something picked Trump to win.  #Toosoon 

Anywhoo it was surreal.  

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Has anyone else been having a hard time socially this week? Our town has a preschool "indoor playground" thing, and I didn't take my son to it all week (we usually go all the time) because I don't want to face the other SAHMs who probably voted for Trump. So to get out of the house, all I've done is go to the store a few times, and when the clerk asks how I'm doing, I say "....I'm okay." Normally I cheerfully say I'm great. 

I have been feeling quite out of sorts due to this. I pass people and  say "Good morning" but there is a strange pall in the air now.  And to be fair, my brother passed away last Saturday so I'm already having some grief. That said, I've been worried about Trump being elected since he entered the race. Whenever I tried to warn my friends this was coming, they thought I was nuts.  Hell, I thought I was nuts!  I had an unease about it the entire time, especially with how the media was treating it like a joke at first. I tried to treat it like a joke but I wised up pretty damn quick.  My attempting to warn against Trump and the alt-right was poo-poo'd and I was made to feel stupid for even suggesting it. I was met with "Well I'm not voting for Hillary. We need a change" and was like "You don't want THIS CHANGE. Wait, 4 years! I'll join you if there is a viable 3rd party candidate but right now not voting and voting 3rd party will help elect Trump.  WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!"  I'm a middle-aged white woman and am still in disbelief that any other middle-aged white woman  would actually cast a vote for Trump.

• Love 17
10 minutes ago, Tara said:

Why is everyone leaving out Sarah Palin?  lol

She was the biggest, dumbest fearmongerer of all!  I can still picture her saying Obama pals around with terrorists!  Obamacare will have a death panel and decide if you're life is worth saving!

I think, though, when she really floored me with her stupidity was when she hosting some kind of reality thing on TV and making S'mores with some kids.  She commented, on what she thought was some clever dig at Michele Obama's plan to get kids to eat healthy, "This is in honor of Michele Obama, who said the other day that kids shouldn't get dessert."

That's because she's a petty, bitter bitch who made it her mission to criticize any and everything the Obamas were doing, no matter how ridiculous she sounded.  She has such a hate-on for President Obama that she actually blamed him for her trifling son's alleged PTSD.  As if that had anything to do with him whooping his ex-wife's ass and pleading guilty to a weapons charge.  I was too through though when her equally insipid daughter criticized the way the Obamas raised their daughters because--wait for it--they allowed them to watch certain TV shows.  This, coming from the idiot who grew up in a home where the people are so woefully stupid that they thought "safe sex" meant doing it with the door locked.  But, it's all Obama's fault apparently.

But, I will never forgive John McCain for unleashing that horrible woman and her family on the American public.

• Love 17
41 minutes ago, maraleia said:

I have to figure out a way to get the dark cloud over my head to disappear. The top of my head aches and as I said upthread I can't sleep or concentrate on much of anything right now. I feel like the next four years are going to be like Voldermort taking over Hogwarts during Harry, Hermoine and Ron's final four years at the school.

I understand how you're feeling. It actually occurred to me this morning that what I'm feeling is like traumatic shock. I don't say that lightly. For the past two weeks, since Comey's initial letter to the congressional leaders, my body has been wound so tight that I've had trouble sleeping, I, too, can't concentrate on much. I can't read, my hands start shaking uncontrollably, and my shoulder and back muscles are aching and I have a pinched nerved under one shoulder blade. It dawned on me late Monday evening that the reason my back has been hurting so badly is the fact that I've been walking around actually clenched. Now, the  dawning horror of things just washes over me and I find myself shaking my head all the time, even in public. I'm sure people were assuming I must be inflicted with Parkinsons or something when I was shopping at Central Market yesterday afternoon. The anger I feel by everything the rethugs have done to President Obama over the past eight years is white hot and all the ugliness from the alt right is deeply alarming. I'd like to believe it will subside, but I think it will only intensify.

I listened to an interview with a mayor in rural western Pennsylvania yesterday, and he said that a lot of folks there in the former steel industry area believe that Clockwork Orange and his mates are going to reopen manufacturing jobs there to make the clothing he now contracts with companies in China to do now. Or at least that's their hope. I don't really understand why they'd have such hopes because he's certainly done nothing in his 70 year history to indicate that would ever be the case.

The thing that has me so deeply alarmed the most, though, is his and his people's ties to the Russian government, and for any who scoff at the notion that they're government people, only oligarchs in Russia own corporations, so you bet they're government-backed, with Putin being the single biggest beneficiary. Hell, what am I saying? He owns most of them personally. Another thing that's got me alarmed is what happened to DemocraticUnderground on Tuesday afternoon. They were hacked and are still not back up online. Even during the darkest days of Shrub's administration, that never happened. Talking Points Memorandum also crashed on Tuesday night. I think we're in for some really dark days, because they will have two years to run the tables on every safety net that provides working class people any shred of security into their old age, and that was all these rethugs have been about since the New Deal. God help us when they start appointing the SCOTUS. 

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, SoSueMe said:

@catrox14

I am so sorry for your personal loss. Very tough, losing a sibling.

Thank you. He had been sick for sometime but his passing still was not expected this soon. I didn't mention it other than to help me try to sort out my emotions and reactions to all this.  I think I'm fairly clear with which emotion I am attaching to which thing.  What a weird week.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I have been feeling quite out of sorts due to this. I pass people and  say "Good morning" but there is a strange pall in the air now.  And to be fair, my brother passed away last Saturday so I'm already having some grief. That said, I've been worried about Trump being elected since he entered the race. Whenever I tried to warn my friends this was coming, they thought I was nuts.  Hell, I thought I was nuts!  I had an unease about it the entire time, especially with how the media was treating it like a joke at first. I tried to treat it like a joke but I wised up pretty damn quick.  My attempting to warn against Trump and the alt-right was poo-poo'd and I was made to feel stupid for even suggesting it. I was met with "Well I'm not voting for Hillary. We need a change" and was like "You don't want THIS CHANGE. Wait, 4 years! I'll join you if there is a viable 3rd party candidate but right now not voting and voting 3rd party will help elect Trump.  WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!"  I'm a middle-aged white woman and am still in disbelief that any other middle-aged white woman  would actually cast a vote for Trump.

I don't know how to feel, anymore, but I DO know i feel sorry for your loss, catrox14.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

In these days of my blackout on televised news, I've come to realize how much toxicity has crept into my life because of impotent, passive partisan politics.  Sorry, Chris Hayes, you will always be my television husband, but I gotta stay away until I manage to combine watching with doing.  Rachel, righteous indignation goes down real easy between 9 and 10 PM, but like any unchecked indulgence, there is such a thing as too much.  Lawrence, you keep on keeping on but I won't be back until have managed to do something beyond being appalled.  Chris Matthews, you can just disappear.

This, exactly.  I live in NYS, the blue part, so I'm lucky enough to have good Dems doing good work politically. I'll have to find a way to do something to keep Democratic ideals alive. As soon as I can drive again, I'll be going back to the local animal shelter to sort bottles and cans for redemption. It's not political but it makes me a better human.

I haven't talked much to my friends because we're all in shock, and I'm home recuperating from surgery so I haven't been able to talk to my co-workers (thankfully, a small office of mostly Dems). This thread has been my connection to the outside work and I'm thankful for it. Every time I go on Facebook, I'm reminded of how many people I truly loathe right now.

• Love 4

I made myself go to the grocery. When I was checking out, the young female clerk (maybe 19-20 ish) asked me how I was doing. I said "Terrible since Tues. night." She said, "well, a lot of things can happen before Jan 20. Maybe he wont make it. Stuff happens. "

Agreed. But then it'll be Pence and that thought is excruciating.

• Love 10

Interesting. The protesters looked, to me, to be more of the "I got mine go fuck yourself, brown people" ilk. They appeared to be cut from the same TeaParty racist cloth, imho.

Awww, c'mon now.  That's as racist as anything I've seen here.  Sure, there are plenty of older white people still stuck in that racist state of mind, just as many older brown people are. But most are thoughtful, caring people just like you, just trying to live and die as painlessly as possible. 

And anyway, those people you're talking about?  They don't care what color you are, they got theirs, go fuck yourself anyone who tries to take it.

• Love 3

Still avoiding facebook.  Prior to election day I had started removing folks who were open Trump supporters (posting Trump propaganda or Anti-Hillary things).  I never post political things on my page.

Luckily most of my friends and co-workers are liberal, so haven't had to deal with much gloating.  One of the partners in my office voted for Trump, but he isn't a gloating type.  I think he always votes Republican because of tax...etc  My husband's aunt voted for Trump because she's super religious.  I try to ignore her posts as much as possible.

I'm hoping that since its been proven that Trump is a liar, that he was lying to his supporters and won't go through with most of the stuff he promised.  

• Love 5

I thought Trump looked absolutely intimidated but he was sitting next to Obama in the White House.  Hahaha not so tough when you're sitting next to a real President, are you?

• Love 14

Today I went to the dentist and started to cry in the waiting room. Probably because going to the dentist is such a normal, boring thing and the return to "normalcy" just feels wrong, I guess, and I can't pretend my life and the lives of so many others aren't at stake. I read somewhere that some people feel the same way they did after 9/11. So, no, anyone who wants me to smile and accept and move on can go the f*ck away. My voice is one of precious few weapons I have left. To be silent and "get along" is to say "Aw, thanks for the pat on the head and the prayers and the moment of silence. I'll behave now. I won't say a word as you round up the Muslims and Latinos and rally the KKK and shut down our protests and laugh in our face when our planet goes to hell. I'll just keep sipping my Trump water and polishing my gun and being the best little woman ever."

I've put some thought into an upcoming event I have where I will be faced with a smug Bernie turned Stein supporter. I'm going to ask her what her plans are now that we have Agent Orange as Big Brother (that's what he is to me - he's not my president). Is she going to help or sit on her ass and say "told ya so."? Is she going to work to unite the left and the center of the party or just shrug and say, "not my problem. HRC sucked and Bernie sold out and I guess I keep my insurance, so, yeah, revolution, whatev. That was fun." 

Another thing I want to do - write to almost every Democratic senator and tell them how much I'm counting on them to speak up and do whatever they can to stop the menace. Don't care if you're not from my state. If you're fighting the menace and fighting for our democracy, then you're on my side. 

one piece of possibly exciting news is that Keith Ellison is being considered for the DNC chair position. That sends a big message. 

If the Trump supporters want unity and peace (they don't - they want everyone to be quiet, aka, 'just let the fascists do their job'), that's not going to happen unless we see some serious efforts from Trump at healing the nation's divide and stepping up to the job with class, honor and respect. If that happens, we will go on, but I'm not even the slightest bit optimistic. 

• Love 4

Trump supporters cannot claim they aren't racist, IMO.  At best, it was tacitly condoned, at worst, they agree with the KKK.  Ignoring that part of his campaign is simply not fathomable to me.

Hasan Minhaj, on Wednesday's episode of The Daily Show, said of Trump's open racism (after recounting several examples of it), "If that's not why you voted for him, the fact it was not an automatic disqualifier for you is saying to me, 'Hey man, I don't hate you, I just don't care about you.'"

This morning I was looking back on all the men who've been president in my lifetime (so, obviously, presidents from both parties), and thinking about the women they married and the way they talked about their daughters.  They married women they respected as well as loved, and they were protective and proud of their daughters.  I disagreed with George W. Bush on just about every issue and think he was a horrible president.  But Trump's disgusting commentary on women,  including his own daughters, would have never fallen out of that man's mouth!  That a man who so openly and gleefully insults entire groups of people, and behaves so boorishly, has been elected president is mind-blowing to me.  Being "presidential" used to be such an obvious requirement it was a given whoever our president wound up being, it would be someone with the most basic levels of civility and respectability.  Now we don't even have that! 

That he's an embarrassment is far less important than that he's woefully unqualified and unprepared for the job and those he'll appoint to do some of the work for him propose things that are dangerous to so many Americans, obviously.  But it bothers me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 23

Question:  has the people complaining about the  Anti Trump  protesters commented on the Sipposed Pro Trump Klan rally that is supposed to go on in North Carolina?  Is that kinda thing cool now?  

Just glad Halloweens over.  God knows the crazy shit people would have dressed their kids in now that the floodgates have opened. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Franky said:

This is so far beyond anything I've ever felt after an election, in the worst of ways. I've felt safe for 8 years with Barack Obama, the only thing I ever worried about with him as our leader was that something might happen to HIM because of the exact racists and bigots that are threatening now. Never considered for any moment that me, my daughter, my friends, or other family members might be in danger... and now that's all I think about. What about my gay friends who will most likely have to kiss marriage equality goodbye? What about my Muslim friends, my friends of any race other than white? What about my elderly mom and her medicare? What about my daughter who's reproductive rights are now in question??

This unqualified, arrogant, sociopathic orange fuckface has put our entire way of life, our entire nation, on the chopping block. I can't shake this feeling of doom, of fear, of deep, deep sadness and grief. This is deadly serious, and it's unspeakably horrible.

Donald Trump: The Ultimate Unsub!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

. I read somewhere that some people feel the same way they did after 9/11. So, no, anyone who wants me to smile and accept and move on can go the f*ck away.

This is how I feel.  For me, this is a negatively destabilizing event that has the potential to destroy our country and undo all the good that has been done for the past 8 years. 

9 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

If the Trump supporters want unity and peace (they don't - they want everyone to be quiet, aka, 'just let the fascists do their job'), that's not going to happen unless we see some serious efforts from Trump at healing the nation's divide and stepping up to the job with class, honor and respect. If that happens, we will go on, but I'm not even the slightest bit optimistic

He ran without class, without dignity, without respect and his supporters lapped it up. I don't know why there is any hope or reason to believe he would change what got him elected, unless that was a lie, (which I will eat all the hats if that turns out to be true). 

He'll be forced to BEHAVE on camera and at organized, controlled events. He'll just change the delivery of his message which will still be racist, sexist, homophobic, and xenophobic.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, Tara said:

I thought Drumpf looked absolutely intimidated but he was sitting next to Obama in the White House.  Hahaha not so tough when you're sitting next to a real President, are you?

The first time they've ever met, face to face. That surprised me. I know that they were at the Correspondents Dinner in 2011, when Obama tore Trump a new one, but I'm sure Trump said this is the first time they've ever spoken to one another in person (although he lies so often, I half expect a photo of them playing golf together to turn up anytime). I wonder if there was just the tiniest bit of embarrassment creeping in for Trump, that he harangued this man that he didn't even know, accusing him of lying to the American people, and now the man is being gracious and accommodating and refusing to let his personal feelings get in the way of his job.

Ah, who am I kidding? This is Trump we're talking about.

Deadspin posted a fun little article about it, though. Really sums up what many of us have been saying:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/donald-trump-doesnt-like-this-any-more-than-you-do-1788862854

• Love 12

What I do know is this—the DNC had the opportunity to keep up that Bernie Sanders momentum by choosing him or a similarly exciting VP candidate with name recognition like Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, or Al Franken, but they went with a rather vanilla Tim Kaine instead. There can be an argument that those people are more powerful in the Senate instead of VP, but the DNC knew going in that Hillary had an unlikability issue. 

They weren't worried enough about their base.  Hillary is not working class and she can't fake it, you are who you are. No matter how much money Bill gets he's working class, he'll always come off that way because he truly lived that, that's in his blood. He can genuinely speak to that. He had nothing growing up, nothing, but that brain of his. He truly did marry up economically because Hillary grew up solidly middle class, hell, it looked upper middle class to me for that matter. She doesn't get it in her gut because she doesn't come from that and she needed someone on her ticket who did and she needed to spend all her time in those communities around this country. They were worried about moderate republican women who don't care in the end about a man's temperament. Men can throw as many tantrums as the want, scream, throw things, call them all kinds of derogatory shit, slap them all around; these women's husband do that and they're fine with that man still running the show. So therefore, a Trump wouldn't bother them when they finally got behind that curtain to pull the lever. They probably were getting their asses kicked even more by their men throughout this campaign, they probably were afraid that if they voted for Hillary and she won, the abuse would get even worse. All of this was totally not taken into consideration by this campaign. Or maybe it was by some and they didn't listen. I think it was reported that wait for it, Bill did tell them that they needed spend their time focusing on that Rust Belt, which is where I think they sent him a lot but he's not the candidate. As soon as she won the primary the strategy was all in for this moderate republican female vote, thinking that just because you made the platform more progressive you no longer had to go to your base and sell it, sell that yes, I'm going to do what I promised in that platform. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Franky said:

This unqualified, arrogant, sociopathic orange fuckface has put our entire way of life, our entire nation, on the chopping block. I can't shake this feeling of doom, of fear, of deep, deep sadness and grief. This is deadly serious, and it's unspeakably horrible.

Exactly. I'm afraid, horribly, deeply afraid. I don't like this feeling, & I don't know how I'm going to get through the next 4 years constantly waiting for the next terrible thing to come out of the White House.

• Love 11

Deadspin posted a fun little article about it, though. Really sums up what many of us have been saying:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/donald-trump-doesnt-like-this-any-more-than-you-do-1788862854

I believe Donald Trump wanted the president's power -- to be able to say the country should do X, Y, Z and have the authority to make it happen. I do not believe he has any interest in actually doing the work involved. I do not believe he envisioned this as any more than leaning back in his chair in the Oval Office while he dictated his wishes to someone who would then rush off to Congress to get them to work on making it happen. He has no comprehension of what this job actually involves. No one does, or really can, save for the 43 individuals who've done it. And no one can convince me that he ever really, actually wanted it.

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, Tara said:

Snopes.com says that KKK rally is just another Internet rumor.

False. Its on their fucking website. The LA Times (and several other news outlets) referenced it being on their website in their articles. I just opened it (and almost vomited in the process) and there it was plain as day. For anyone who doesn't believe it here is the site: http://www.kkkknights.com/

(my aggravation is not at you, its at any internet source trying to downplay the fact that the KKK supports him)

For those that don't want to almost vomit I'll share the picture of front page:

gross.JPG

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

Being "presidential" used to be such an obvious requirement it was a given whoever our president wound up being, it would be someone respectable in the most basic ways.  Now we don't even have that! 

Exactly, which is why I keep stating that when inauguration day came for Bush Jr.  I  had no problem watching the ceremony, because I just love watching the pomp and circumstance of it all. But again, hell no to this inauguration day that's about to take place, hell no. I'm pissed too because I watch it all the way up to when the outgoing first family leaves and shakes hands with the new president and first lady. Hell no, not this time. So I'm going to miss President and Mrs. Obama's ceremonial exit, but I can't watch it, because of who this country has voted to leave in their place and republican doesn't have shit to do with it.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

Although, did anyone ever ask Donald Trump what newspapers he read?  And if not, why the hell not?  The answer would have been similarly enlightening, I'm sure.

He could probably say he reads anything he appears in, of course.  

15 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Question:  has the people complaining about the  Anti Trump  protesters commented on the Sipposed Pro Trump Klan rally that is supposed to go on in North Carolina?  Is that kinda thing cool now?  

Just glad Halloweens over.  God knows the crazy shit people would have dressed their kids in now that the floodgates have opened. 

&

12 minutes ago, Tara said:

Snopes.com says that KKK rally is just another Internet rumor.

Even if the rally is an internet rumor, DTJ must still come out and disavow it.  He must say something like "whether this rally is happening or not, it and the message it sends are not what we espouse here in America"  Now that he's (shudder) Pres-elect (shudder), in order to look Presidential, he must do what he didn't do during the campaign when the KKK's publication endorsed him.  

• Love 2

I agree with those that say Cheeto Jesus does NOT want to do the actual day to day work of being the president. I truly think he is going to hate being accountable to so many people every day for the next four years. He will be under a level of scrutiny that is no longer fun - regardless of how much he enjoys the feeling of power he gets from the role.

• Love 10

I'm just...not sure what kind of "change" Trump supporters want.  You don't want a President who is intellectually curious and has a deep understanding of a wide range of worldly issues?  You don't want a President who is respected by many world leaders?  You don't want a President who is compassionate and speaks out against injustices?  You don't want a low unemployment rate, cheap gas, affordable taxes, regulation that protects the Earth (you know...that place you live)?  Do you want to consume poisoned food and water?  Cause I don't!  I will never ever understand why people vote against their best interests.

I don't even know what to say to people who listened to Trump and really believe things he said, like his promises to bring jobs back to America.  The guy who buys his steel from China is going to fight for your mill job in Ohio?  LOL, no.  You're all going to be unemployed, and you probably won't be able to find affordable health insurance once your COBRA coverage runs out.  He doesn't care about you, and he sure as hell doesn't care about those of us who didn't vote for him.  

Welp, maybe when some of these folks figure out he's a lying liar who lies, a few of the Midwestern states will swing blue again and give us a Democratic President in 2020.  I mean, unless Russia wants Trump to win again.  Then who knows what actually happens...

• Love 18
8 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

I believe Donald Trump wanted the president's power -- to be able to say the country should do X, Y, Z and have the authority to make it happen. I do not believe he has any interest in actually doing the work involved. I do not believe he envisioned this as any more than leaning back in his chair in the Oval Office while he dictated his wishes to someone who would then rush off to Congress to get them to work on making it happen. He has no comprehension of what this job actually involves. No one does, or really can, save for the 43 individuals who've done it. And no one can convince me that he ever really, actually wanted it.

Exactly.  He thought he was going to run the show like his Apprentice TV shows.  He thought all he had to do was say, "You're fired!" and get things done.  I fault our piss-poor educational system which can no longer be bothered to teach civics or critical thinking anymore because teachers are pressured to "teach to the test."  It's amazing how many people believe that a television creation like Drumpf can run the government as if it were a business (God help us!).  Anyone can look at the horrible experiments in Kansas and Michigan to see how well that works.

Just on his say-so alone, the wall is going to be built and Mexico was going to pay for it.  Never mind that none of that shit came out of his mouth when he was actually in Mexico visiting its president.  He is going to renegotiate NAFTA and get those jobs back.  Never mind that technology is a large part of why those jobs are no longer here.  Never mind that he short-changed steelworkers to use cheap steel from China.  And, yes--he is going to kick 11 million people out of the country despite the fact that most of those people are from overseas--not our southern border--and overstayed their visas.  But, his supporters are already chomping at the bit and taunting people who don't look or "speak American."  He is going to drain the swamp.  Instead, he's regurgitated the nastiest creatures in the swamp to "help" him run The Apprentice--DC.  He isn't going to mess with Social Security and Medicare.  Yet, already, there are indications that insiders want him to get out of the way and allow Lyin' Ryan to determine policy.

And, his supporters bought all his bullshit hook, line and sinker.  I hope they choke on their votes.  I know that sounds bitter, but I'm in no mood to "go high" right now.  

• Love 24
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

Me too. I haven't left my house since Tuesday night (I work from home) but I am going to get some take out for dinner later.

I stayed in bed all day Wednesday and when I went out Thursday I found myself in tears at the supermarket.  This really isn't going well.  I wish I had some words of wisdom but right now nothing seems to be helping.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Tara said:

Apparently that site's been around for years.  Guess my eyes do need opening.  :(

I think a lot of eyes have been opened through this election.  And/or we've carefully been averting our gaze. 

I have this crippling sense of despair because I truly believed we were making progress, albeit slow, as a culture   We're not there yet and you guys are helping me from just isolating. I am hiding out as much as I can right now, but I don't want to run.

• Love 5

Hillary lost the race in 3 to 4 rust belt states, with a difference of around 110,000 votes - something less than the University of Michigan stadium (the Big House) holds.  I've had a couple of friends now ask me, do you think there was something up, as in fraud with the election?

Since the margins were so close, I think it's really possible.  I don't buy into all the crazy conspiracy theories, but I think it's very plausible.  

Trump has some sort of ties with Russia.  Why?  What I've read is that no US Banks would give him loans, so probably went to Russia for some money.  If he had losses of 900 million how many years ago on that one tax document leaked, who knows what other losses he's had.  He owes them (Putin) for something, or they have something on him.  Why else would he have ties?  

With Wikileaks and other computer breaches show that it's not too difficult for hackers to get into any system.  They wouldn't have to do huge amounts, because the races were so tight.  Just key states.  Almost like the fractional penny theory in Office Space (ironically that had been thrown around the financial industry for years - we'd always be off on rounding from overall fund totals to when it broke down to accounts - and the differences were written off somehow).  No one would notice maybe 20 votes here and there - interspersed between millions of votes.

So what if something were found out before December 19, and the Orange one was indicted for something?  What about the IRS audit?  I read that the IRS was going back years and it wasn't just for non-payment, but fraud, major fraud.  If he signed the documents, then he couldn't point all the blame at accountants (who would surely roll to get a better deal).  

Then he kept saying how the election was rigged.  Projection?  He sure projects every other fault he has onto others.  

I don't think he really wanted to win.  Sure he loved his followers adoration but the rallies will end.  It's hard, tough work after you're elected.  I don't think he's done a hard day's work in his entire life.  You can only delegate so much as President.  Then he'll have to try to maintain his composure and watch everything he says.  He and his staff will be backtracking so much that it'll look like a flash mob moonwalking.

As for the approval polls, he'll go off the rails when they start to go south, and those will be rigged.  Unfair!  Hey Agent Orange, life isn't always fair.  He's been living in his gilded gaudy tower for far too long.  He has no actual concept of the day to day lives of the "regular" people.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, magdalene said:

Well, maybe some of the dumb fuckers who voted for Trump will get scared when they start to contemplate America without the safety net of Medicare and Social Security and Disability coverage.  Maybe that will penetrate their tiny brains. I am not holding my breath though.

I'm hoping they'll do the patriotic thing and drop dead before they're a burden on my taxes. They deserve every bad thing they get. 

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

I find it ironic that the cries for unity are coming from the same people who spent eight years trying to get Obama unseated.    Now they want calm acceptance.  

But their cognitive dissonance doesn't let them see that. These are the people who would claim, when Bush was president, that questioning the president was tantamount to treason. They discovered it was patriotic after all, when Obama was president, and now they're back to criticizing the president is wrong.

1 hour ago, DkNNy79 said:

Still avoiding facebook.  Prior to election day I had started removing folks who were open Trump supporters (posting Trump propaganda or Anti-Hillary things).  I never post political things on my page.

I'm hoping that since its been proven that Trump is a liar, that he was lying to his supporters and won't go through with most of the stuff he promised.  

I haven't been on Facebook since Tuesday afternoon.

It was proven over and over and over again the Conman Don is a liar. That didn't change the support of any of the deplorables.

• Love 8

Um, I'm usually pretty up to date on news, but... how in the fucking fuck did I miss this? How was this not all over the media?

“Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to president Trump. It’s everyone who’s ever doubted Donald, whoever disagreed, whoever challenged him. It is the ultimate revenge to become the most powerful man in the universe." 

That gave me chills. I am definitely not a hyperbolic person, but... this, to me, confirms that the fear millions of us Americans have of a Trump presidency SHOULD be terrified. Especially since Omarosa worked with his campaign. She was one of his major surrogates. 

Edited by YesWeCantNotKnope
  • Love 12

It would go a long way toward easing anxiety and fear if Trump got on tv right now and made a statement that the violence, abuse, and bullshit going on around the country right now is not acceptable. He needs to make it clear that he doesn't support that kind of thing. These people feel justified because his win  legitimizes their bullshit. He needs to denounce any violence at home committed in the name of this new politically incorrect world. 

• Love 11