Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

I wonder if there are any Republican senators who may actually balk at kicking over 22 million people off healthcare. I know they voted for it when they knew it would never happen, but this is different (and even then some of them didn't like the idea of shutting down the medicaid expansion specifically).

There are a lot of red states with Republican governors who have implemented this (Kasich being one of them). I'm hoping SOME of them are going to try to exercise some level of responsibility here now that they know it's really possible.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Grommet said:

I made the mistake of going on Facebook today. I can't stand the posts saying that we shouldn't judge Trump supporters harshly, that we can disagree and still respect each other. Fuck, no.

THIS! ABSOLUTELY THIS!!!  I am so frustrated by this crap that we are supposed to come together now - well, all I'm reading is about all the racist and anti semitic things being done across the country in his name.  Come together - I don't even want to talk to my friend of 30 years because her husband is a trump bully to the highest point.  And I don't believe for a second that she didn't vote for him even though she told me that she was not going to.  How horrible he was.  Until our last conversation a couple of days before the election where it turned into...well, we will have to support whoever wins...ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????? You support him, then your values are skewed and I want no part of you.

And people don't want to hear people like us WHINING anymore.  So we're supposed to shut up and ignore all the hate that has been mainstreamed.  Screw you. 

• Love 23
42 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

I wonder if we could get people to show up at the inauguration with the nude pics of Melanoma on them.  That would put a smile on my face.  LOL

It's funny, there is that old hint for public speaking, picture the audience as being naked. In Melania's case the audience is remembering seeing her naked. I wonder if it even enters her mind.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, random chance said:

As a first-generation U.S. citizen and the daughter of a German, I consider it to be my civic duty to oppose him. As far as I'm concerned, "we have to support whoever wins" is the same difference as "I was just following orders."

Yes.  And my friend was told, this is not like Hitler so stop being dramatic.  My head is going to explode.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Menrva said:

God, I wish I could stop being angry. I really, really hate feeling like this. But nothing makes me feel better. I've stopped crying but now I just want to hit something.

I hope it helps - you are not alone.  This is me.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Revlonred said:

Yes.  And my friend was told, this is not like Hitler so stop being dramatic.  My head is going to explode.

The worse offenders are those who look away and deny what is right in front of their faces which is why Christ Matthews will NEVER get my viewership again. He has power yet he looks away and continues to talk shit about the white working class, blah, blah, blah, the working class people of color struggle the same. He refuses to admit that Trump's campaign was one of racism, he told Michelle Bernard that the KKK was a joke, right. He so wants to be aw, of the spectacular Trump campaign and win, it's nothing but a win for hate. I suspect he'll still be spitting that bullshit out when bodies start hanging from trees down south. I can't stand that man because he's a coward, I see it now, he's a coward.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Padma said:

Is it wrong to imagine an uproar over Russia ADMITTING contact with Trump (repeatedly) and then the EC throwing it to Clinton?  Why, why, why won't the FBI report on this?  Will the media???  Where's our press????

Yes, Russia Was Close to Trump Campaign Advisors (Plural)

{Yakov Mode On}

In Russia The Emails Come To You!
In Russia The FBI, er... The FSB (their version of the FBI) Comes To You!
In Russia The Clown with Funny Hair Sells Cheeseburgers!
In Russia The Media Doesn't Come To You! Because they are State Run, So You Go To Them!

{Yakov Mode Off}

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Maybe it is starting to dawn on Trump that there is a reason American presidents all look about 20 years older at the end of their terms.

B-O-O-H-O-O. You should have thought of that before you ran, dumbass!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

I am not proposing any tough love approach to "get over it." But I am kindly suggesting that perhaps those replying to everything with things like

They can oppose him all they want, it won't make a difference. They have no power. 

is not really the most helpful message to keep posting on an anxiety thread. You don't have to be OK with what happened. I'm not OK with what happened. But I think we should be here for each other and not shut down those who aren't willing to give up the fight. Anxiety and depression whispers very temptingly. It is important to resist. Hope and love may not seem like the most natural instincts in the moment but eventually they will persevere.

But people do have to be careful to not be too partisan in their information gathering. Because that's part of the reason why the world is becoming so polarised. 

I still get Fox News in my house at all hours of the day, so I'm good. But I texted that crazy lady (the emails have not stopped). Weirdly, this has made me love my parents more and realize how much they love me even though they voted for Trump. While this crazy woman (I really mean that, she was slightly bonkers before but this election has driven her off the deep end) hasn't stopped with her barrage of emails, they haven't pushed me about this election or gloated and given me peace to deal with it. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, lyric said:

...and so it begins

Reports of attacks on minorities

"Build the Wall" chants in middle school

We can't be angry about this, because 'liberal's are marching!' 'media bias' 'but Hillary...' and 'reasons'.

...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

I have a friend who teaches at a middle school with a lot of Mexican kids. The general pattern is that the kids are citizens, but the parents not. 

Over the past few days she's basically been faced with period after period of terrified ten year old kids asking her if she knows if they're going to be "sent away".

• Love 4

Let me tell you all I am at the anger stage of grief as well I'm getting paid tomorrow and I'll be donating to Planned Parenthood and the ACLU as well.  Let me tell you what will happen with the Republicans in control of all of the government.  There will be no more affordable healthcare what may be replaced will be a healthcare voucherized, as will Social Security, schools, Medicare and Medicaid.  Roads will be privatized, the post office as well perhaps, and say goodbye to the minimum wage a well as the EPA.  People want me to give Trump a chance there is no way in hell he'll be getting that from me.  I'm already hearing stories about Trump voters realizing by his winning something they like might be taken away from them well boo freaking hoo dummy you voted for that.  

• Love 13
42 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

It's just crazy to me. Do you want to know what my voting experience was like? I went "home" to our little, fairly affluent suburb. We drove up to the local middle school. Easy to find parking. We walked up. No line. We went inside. One person ahead of us. I gave them my name and address. They looked it up in this book. They let me sign on the line. Then they gave me a ballot. I filled it out. I went over to the machine. I put it in the machine. In less than 30 seconds it was approved. I left. The end. OK, maybe there should be a little more assurance that I was who I said I was but other than that, it should always be that easy. Also, I didn't have to work on Election Day. WHY HAVEN'T WE MADE IT A NATIONAL HOLIDAY YET? I'm not saying everyone in that 50% or so that didn't vote, didn't vote because they wanted to but they were working or busy. But isn't it possible that if people had the time and the experience didn't take forever that maybe more people would vote?

Just my personal opinion, but I don't understand why anybody goes to the polling place anymore. I haven't been near one in years, I always vote by absentee ballot. I get to read the booklet at my leisure, can change my mind before I mail it, don't have to deal with finding time to go vote or wait in lines, & as long as I make sure to mail it on time (it must be stamped by election day), I'm good. It just seems so much easier to me.

And now to aggravate everyone even more, our new First Lady everybody, only the 2nd one not to be born in this country.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I have a friend who teaches at a middle school with a lot of Mexican kids. The general pattern is that the kids are citizens, but the parents not. 

Over the past few days she's basically been faced with period after period of terrified ten year old kids asking her if she knows if they're going to be "sent away".

Heartbreaking.  The most presidential thing Trump could do right now is speak out to his constituents that this is not the way.  I resent him for forging this path, and he could still go a long way in quashing this downward spiral if he'd just act and act responsibly.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Ms.Moon said:

Let me tell you all I am at the anger stage of grief as well I'm getting paid tomorrow and I'll be donating to Planned Parenthood and the ACLU as well.  Let me tell you what will happen with the Republicans in control of all of the government.  There will be no more affordable healthcare what may be replaced will be a healthcare voucherized, as will Social Security, schools, Medicare and Medicaid.  Roads will be privatized, the post office as well perhaps, and say goodbye to the minimum wage a well as the EPA.  People want me to give Trump a chance there is no way in hell he'll be getting that from me.  I'm already hearing stories about Trump voters realizing by his winning something they like might be taken away from them well boo freaking hoo dummy you voted for that.  

I'm already reading some of this thanks to links on Twitter - privatized roads (pay to drive on them), no more having to accept pre-existing conditions for insurers, something else I didn't understand about a high risk pool (whatever it was, nobody thought it was a good thing).

13 minutes ago, random chance said:

I'm already reading some of this thanks to links on Twitter - privatized roads (pay to drive on them), no more having to accept pre-existing conditions for insurers, something else I didn't understand about a high risk pool (whatever it was, nobody thought it was a good thing).

Then I assume that Erectile Dysfunction would be considered a pre-existing condition as well so people like Oompa Loompa and others (many who voted for him) would have to pay out of pocket for their treatment and meds...

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Yes, it has begun...

http://www.infowars.com/shock-video-black-mob-viciously-beats-white-trump-voter/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3922098/The-backlash-begins-Disgruntled-anti-Trump-protesters-refuse-accept-election-result-gather-New-York-cities-country.html

I think this forum has served a purpose, but it is not for me. I am going to go now, I wish you all thoughts of enlightenment in the coming days and hope you all feel better and are able to get back into the world again. Smiles to you all...

Yes, this is ugly and sad - what I'd like to say is I genuinely didn't intend to cherry pick, I saw and pasted the first two stories that scrolled across the ticker and stopped reading because it was too much.  I had not heard the protests had become violent - my mistake.  Do I think we've had a hateful and divisive campaign that has fanned the flames?  Hell yes, and yes I think Trump's hateful speech has been a major contributing factor, but obviously its not the only factor.  So, we know there's a lot of hate and anger across both parties and many voters.  I think it's incredibly sad and disturbing, and clearly no party is innocent here.  Is this all just fear-based?  Or are people really this hatefilled toward their fellow Americans?  More importantly, how do we heal this country?  We're talking about how we're going to stand up to our opposition, and 'fight' for our rights, but how do we truly heal this shit? (I'm not asking anyone in particular, just asking).  This is all too much - and is it going to get better or worse?

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, clb1016 said:

More protests across the country tonight [split screen on All In w/Chris Hayes on MSNBC right now].

"They" asked for it, and when I say they I mean the fuckers like Jimmy Dore.  I want the Jimmy Dore's of this country to suffer the most. I loathe that shitty little man.   He wanted to burn it down anything to prevent evil Hillary from taking office. "We'll elect Trump, and the democrats will block anyone he appoints.." fucking shit bag. When is his day of reckoning? When? Because it can't come soon enough for me. Fuck the Roger Stones of it all I want the Jimmy Dore's heads on a platter. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4

For me, it is like this:

Those telling us to get over it are generally, not totally, all white males.  Their lives are not going to change one bit under the new Presidency.  

For everyone else, it is a crapshoot.   If womens' reproductive choice has no influence on your life, fine.  If you aren't living an alternative lifestyle, then the proposed stand on gay marriage or job discrimination will not be a problem.  If you aren't suffering from a life-threatening disease, then revocation of ACA means nothing.  If you were born here and look just like our new President with respect to skin color, immigration law changes won't have any impact.   

There are probably a whole lot more examples that I have missed.  But somehow, few if any of these I have presented will affect most white males who, in fact, are the bulk of his votes.

Listen to what DT says;  look at what he does.  There is no difference.  When he starts to implement his grand plan, like reversal of trade agreements as an example, all of us will be impacted by the recession that will come along with it, including those angry disaffected white males who complain about those 'others' who took their non-existent jobs.  So what happens when those millions of jobs don't materialize?

Edited by b2H
  • Love 22

My husband and I were just talking about all this and he came up with something that might give you guys heart.
10 years ago Australia had a similar election. The Liberal Party (which is the conservative party) won everything- the Senate, the House of Reps and obviously the Lodge (our White House, though much smaller). And the Prime Minister was able to do something he'd wanted to do since he was a student- change industrial relations laws. He loathed unions. Wanted to grind them into a paste. And he introduced the most radical laws seen in 50 years to do that. He wanted unfair dismssal laws gone. Make it illegal to strike. Make it a fireable offence if you refused to work on a public holiday if your boss wanted you to. Gut the minimum wage. And the opposition couldn't do anything. They had no power to block it.
But then something happened. The Union Movement hit back with a wrecking ball. Rallys, stop work marches, drenched the airwaves and internet with ads. People woke up and paid attention. And the government flailed. They changed the name of it twice, redrafted it several times and by the time of the next election wouldn't even mention it. They lost that election and a large part of it was due to this law. And the unions weren't this all powerful force. People were sick of them and the relentless infighting and whining. But they fought relentlessly and swept people, all types of people along. And we got change. So don't be discouraged with the gerrymandering and Republican control of everything. Fight hard for your beliefs, organise and make the next 4 years for these assholes endless trench warfare.

• Love 20
26 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

If Hillary had won I do not think there would have been the (paid for) riots

I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that the peaceful protesters are being paid by some organization? Which organization? These might be organized but why do you presume someone is paying them?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that the peaceful protesters are being paid by some organization? Which organization? These might be organized but why do you presume someone is paying them?

And there has been no rioting, although there have been some arrests.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Iris987 said:

My husband and I were just talking about all this and he came up with something that might give you guys heart.
10 years ago Australia had a similar election. The Liberal Party (which is the conservative party) won everything- the Senate, the House of Reps and obviously the Lodge (our White House, though much smaller). And the Prime Minister was able to do something he'd wanted to do since he was a student- change industrial relations laws. He loathed unions. Wanted to grind them into a paste. And he introduced the most radical laws seen in 50 years to do that. He wanted unfair dismssal laws gone. Make it illegal to strike. Make it a fireable offence if you refused to work on a public holiday if your boss wanted you to. Gut the minimum wage. And the opposition couldn't do anything. They had no power to block it.
But then something happened. The Union Movement hit back with a wrecking ball. Rallys, stop work marches, drenched the airwaves and internet with ads. People woke up and paid attention. And the government flailed. They changed the name of it twice, redrafted it several times and by the time of the next election wouldn't even mention it. They lost that election and a large part of it was due to this law. And the unions weren't this all powerful force. People were sick of them and the relentless infighting and whining. But they fought relentlessly and swept people, all types of people along. And we got change. So don't be discouraged with the gerrymandering and Republican control of everything. Fight hard for your beliefs, organise and make the next 4 years for these assholes endless trench warfare.

That is the difference between Australia and the US.  There have been so many things Americans could be angry about, but we never target the folks that caused the anger.  We have grown complacent when we aren't irrational.

• Love 1

I do hope that white men who do not think that any of the things that Trump/Pence stand for will not affect them have sisters, wives or daughters because Pence is absolutely against abortion of any type so if your sister, wife or daughter are of childbearing age I hope and pray they are never in need of abortion services of any type at all.  Also if a woman of childbearing age who voted for Trump/Pence is the unfortunate victim of rape I do hope she knows the legalities surrounding custody arrangements in her particular state because she might bear the child of her rapist and have to make custody arrangements with him.  

• Love 5
Just now, Ms.Moon said:

I do hope that white men who do not think that any of the things that Trump/Pence stand for will not affect them have sisters, wives or daughters because Pence is absolutely against abortion of any type so if your sister, wife or daughter are of childbearing age I hope and pray they are never in need of abortion services of any type at all.  Also if a woman of childbearing age who voted for Trump/Pence is the unfortunate victim of rape I do hope she knows the legalities surrounding custody arrangements in her particular state because she might bear the child of her rapist and have to make custody arrangements with him.  

Unintended consequence, I guess they would say, but not their problem?

While I certainly don't think someone has to attend college to be successful, nor is it an accurate measurement of IQ, I do think having a higher education is essential to becoming more informed about issues and it also gives you a better understanding of the world. 

Also, even if you go to a state school (I mean, in your own state), it increases the likelihood of meeting people outside of your own insulated community.

Another supporter was excited because Trump was going to help education, even though many GOP leaders have been taking funding away from education across the United States for years now. 

I don't want to generalize, but I would guess that they don't mean improve educational standards in traditionally weak areas like math and science and instead, get the liberals out of state educational standards. More intelligent design. Less evolution. More abstinence. Less sex ed. And for Southern states, our version of history.

Another was certain Trump would make their community safer, but his vitriol over the past year will only cause more division and anger in the country.

Safer from the scary nonwhite people and everyone trying to turn the children gay.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yesterday's bewildered daze has lifted a bit, and while I am, indeed, going to give myself a long weekend of mourning, I have committed to getting back in the trenches next week. 

Including helping conduct a Legal Observer refresher training course for those who've been trained and served as one previously but not in a while (colleagues will simultaneously give a training course for new Legal Observers).  If you're unfamiliar, Legal Observers are deployed to protest marches and other public demonstrations to serve as the eyes and ears of the legal team defending the rights of demonstrators.  They observe and document the activities of law enforcement and interaction between law enforcement and demonstrators (arrests, uses of force/intimidating displays of force, interference with access to public spaces, etc.).  This trained documentation is so helpful to lawyers needing to evaluate the constitutionality of government conduct (when representing demonstrators who were arrested, bringing a civil action against the police, etc.).

The National Lawyers Guild, the ACLU, and other civil rights organizations offer Legal Observer training around the country, so if it's something you may be interested in doing, now is a good time to check if training is being offered in your area any time soon.

Bastet I am a lawyer also - I am a public defender.  Proud to be a very small cog trying to give a voice to the marginalized, but your job sounds awesome.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, b2H said:

Those telling us to get over it are generally, not totally, all white males.  Their lives are not going to change one bit under the new Presidency. For everyone else, it is a crapshoot.   If womens' reproductive choice has no influence on your life, fine.  If you aren't living an alternative lifestyle, then the proposed stand on gay marriage or job discrimination will not be a problem.  If you aren't suffering from a life-threatening disease, then revocation of ACA means nothing.  If you were born here and look just like our new President with respect to skin color, immigration law changes won't have any impact.  

I saw a Trump supporter's Facebook comment last night that basically answered someone's fears about POC, women, the LGBTQ community and others with a quick checklist like yours:  "Muslims already here are fine. Latinos here legally have nothing to worry about. Blacks have had a difficult eight years and might be ready for a change. Gays can just move to a different state if they want to be married. Females don't have anything to worry about." 

Well, garsh! Thanks for that magnanimity.  And hey, no big deal to just move to a different state, right?  So glad you're an expert on the realities of life for nonwhites. And reproductive health=totally off his radar. What a surprise. Also, "females."

• Love 11
Just now, moonb said:

I saw a Trump supporter's Facebook comment last night that basically answered someone's fears about POC, women, the LGBTQ community and others with a quick checklist like yours:  "Muslims already here are fine. Latinos here legally have nothing to worry about. Blacks have had a difficult eight years and might be ready for a change. Gays can just move to a different state if they want to be married. Females don't have anything to worry about." 

Well, garsh! Thanks for that magnanimity.  And hey, no big deal to just move to a different state, right?  So glad you're an expert on the realities of life for nonwhites. And reproductive health=totally off his radar. What a surprise. Also, "females."

Let me guess: a non-female with little to no melanin in the skin??

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ruby24 said:

And his attitude has changed on a dime now that he met with Obama and suddenly he's a great man and it's an honor to meet him and he wants his counsel, etc. Obama being nice to him has completely changed his mind about this whole thing, like it always does whenever he meets a powerful person. All he wants is to be in with celebrities, public figures, presidents. He doesn't give a shit about his supporters.

I wish, but since I agree with Tony Schwartz that Donald Trump is just a sociopath and a conman and liar, I think he was just acting another part today, too.

I think he is a conman, but I think he is also a conman who wants to be in with celebrities. He bitches at SNL and talk shows but that's because he wants the cool kids to like him, so to speak. He wants to be the host, not the butt of the jokes. He wants to be an asshole but still have people like him for it, so when he realizes he can't have both, he throws tantrums and hissy fits on twitter.

And yeah, there's no way he can enjoy being around these men who twist themselves up into knots about gay marriage, abortion, and church. Are you kidding me? There is no way Trump is morally outraged about abortion, or that he gives a damn gay men are getting married, and he doesn't even know how to correctly pronounce the names of the books in the bible, let alone quote a verse.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 8

InfoWars is a giant pile of horseshit so I wouldn't trust it at all. And even if it's true, I know it makes me a bad person, but I don't care. Boo-fucking-hoo, you little racist shit. It's the least you and your buddies deserve.

The smugness of these Troompaloompas makes me want to gag. I'm not going to be quiet and nice and not rock the boat. And if the Tangerine Scream wants to start rounding us up because we hurt his widdle feewings, fine, go ahead you big coward. I dare you, round us up. I'll sew my yellow star on myself and wear it like a fucking badge of honor.

I really want the inauguration to feel like a funeral. Everyone should wear black and there should be no cheering. Honestly, I hope no one comes. I hope he's standing out there freezing his fat ass off by himself. I know that won't happen, hell, he'll probably have a KKK honor guard.

• Love 7

I think I'm going to have to cut back on Facebook again. Today it was post after post calling students special snowflakes and ridiculing colleges for providing mental health services or accommodations in the wake of the election, and then saying that people were being overly dramatic that any real violence was going to happen, because the worst that was going to happen were some microaggressions. Since that's obviously okay, as it's just free speech. /s

Then there were the other people saying all the stories about slurs, attacks, and the like were all made up and questioning whether anyone fact-checked them. (Because suddenly people care about fact-checking?) In the weeks before the election, I did a lot of "hide posts like this" on Facebook, since I still wanted to stay in touch with friends suffering the same anxiety, but after 10 posts in a row like these (and my apparent inability to unfriend people I personally know), I think I need to just stop going for a while. 

And yes, as many of you have been saying, it's all coming from straight, white males. (To be clear, I know plenty of straight, white males who are not making statements like these and are pretty upset about current events as well, but all the ones who are, are.) They also think the idea of white/male privilege is a big joke. I just wish people would stop telling me how I should feel, as if whatever I actually feel isn't legitimate or valid for me. In the meantime, I think once a day is going to be my limit for Facebook.

• Love 7

There were people on Facebook that I know going on about how wrong it was (the sexual assault part ), a guy began making comments on their thread that it is natural for men to feel that way and polite society has tapped that side down and if you are a man and don't feel that way you are either gay or lying to yourself. Oh boy the back and forth was just incredible . 

To slightly derail for a moment... I feel like this is the difference between misogynists and so-called feminazis/misandrists. I don't hate men. I hate that there are men who think like this. I hate the toxic masculinity that has developed. I get that men have some violent and sexual impulses. Everyone does. But that's different from the very specific culture that has been cultivated for centuries and specifically poisoned Western society. But I still hope that one day I will meet a wonderful man that I can trust who will be my equal partner in life. I can't believe that a man who talks like this would want something like that. He wants a woman who is subservient and acquiescent. Who devotes herself to maintaining a certain ideal of beauty. Who would never say no to sex when he wants it. Who doesn't have a right to make decisions over her own body. When I hear stuff like this it says to me, I don't want a woman who thinks for herself. I don't want a woman to be a real human being. 

I have to turn off the tv. I cant bear to look at his orange puckered face and his spawn and their spouses.

One slightly positive development is the callus has started to form. As long as I'm prepared, I no longer get upset... or at least as angry and disgusted seeing his face. The voice is still a slight problem but I think eventually I'll get used to it. I'm not saying I accept it as my new normal but I am least learning how to cope with it.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, b2H said:

That is the difference between Australia and the US.  There have been so many things Americans could be angry about, but we never target the folks that caused the anger.  We have grown complacent when we aren't irrational.

Trust me, we're complacent too. There is shit going on here with asylum seekers and detention centers that make my soul cringe. Trump brand xenophobia has a fertile breeding ground in many places. In fact the people who were around back then are in power now so... what was my point again? Oh, yeah- screw Trump!

Bastet I am a lawyer also - I am a public defender.  Proud to be a very small cog trying to give a voice to the marginalized, but your job sounds awesome.

captain1, I tip my hat to you.  I agree with Katherine Mattes when she said the public defender system is one of the most important public safety systems we have.  She said, "A strong public defender who challenges the prosecutor, ensuring that they can make their case, forces the prosecutor to make sure that the police are investigating and making solid arrests based on evidence, not bias, attitude or laziness.  I think it is essential for the public to understand this relationship between effective, well-funded public defense systems and their own safety.”

So, thank you.

I just wish people would stop telling me how I should feel, as if whatever I actually feel isn't legitimate or valid for me.

The commentary that disturbs me is that which is completely lacking in compassion.  People are scared.  They're not just upset their candidate lost, they're frightened about specific things happening to them, to their loved ones, or to the world at large.  Real people with real fears.  And if someone thinks any of those fears are unfounded, okay -- that's at least potentially a starting point for discussion.  But if someone thinks those fears are funny?  That's disgusting.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, lyric said:

...and so it begins

Reports of attacks on minorities

"Build the Wall" chants in middle school

We can't be angry about this, because 'liberal's are marching!' 'media bias' 'but Hillary...' and 'reasons'.

...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

Don't you mean, and so it continues? This has been going on ever since that nectarine nightmare declared his candidacy.  Not once did he fix his mouth to condemn racist attacks perpetrated in his name.  Not once.  That's why I can't buy the "casual racism" canard or the equally nonsensical "he was just using the white nationalists for political gain."  A person is known by the company he keeps.  It's fascinating that the same people who squawked about President Obama "palling around with terrorists" and not having American values now barely shrug that their future fuehrer consorts with and is supported by domestic terrorists and hate mongers.  But, I'm supposed to want to support this creature and his agenda (whatever that actually is) for the sake of unity?  Don't think so.

This poignant piece by Neal Gabler of Moyers & Company pretty much sums up my feelings tonight.  Farewell, America

RIP, America, land that I love.  Sunrise: July 4, 1776; Sunset: November 8, 2016

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

This poignant piece by Neal Gabler of Moyers & Company pretty much sums up my feelings tonight.  Farewell, America

RIP, America, land that I love.  Sunrise: July 4, 1776; Sunset: November 8, 2016

That article is sad, frightening, heart breaking, and absolutely true.  I am terrified.

• Love 4

Here's another fact about the electoral college that proves it needs to be abolished. The only reason they kept it around at the Philadelphia convention was as a compromise to the slave holding states. Direct national election of the president was proposed as the rational way to do it (because it is), but James Madison knew the South wouldn't accept it.

This is the only reason this stupid thing is still around. It has no fucking purpose anymore.

• Love 6

6 HOURS AGO, HONEYDO7 SAID:

Pence is a right-wing sicko who would criminalize women & pre-teen girls having periods, as his church teaches that act kills potential, unborn life & who believes he can solve our country's "distasteful," g/l/t/b problem  by having them all taken into custody & forcing them to undergo "christian conversion therapy."  Can't wait to hear CCB insist  Pence's words were taken out of context, while defending  his sick, twisted ideas.

Please tell me this cannot be true.

Will the men who masturbate (how dare they!) be jailed and condemned too ? I don't even know what to say.

Will he arrest all the chickens too? 

• Love 2

Reading that article I can't help but think that the USA is a very young country. And during that time we've already done even more heinous things than elect Donald Trump. We've had presidents owning other people and committing genocide. If we're humiliated and ashamed (because we're shameful) now, that would just make us another country that ought to look what we've done in the face, own it, and make it part of how we define ourselves. As nice as it might feel to talk about exceptionalism, there's nothing terrible in being just another country with a history of being truly terrible. We had a Civil War, after all. That, too, could be seen as a sign that the idea of America was dead. This latest shameful thing is even practically the same issues yet again!

• Love 5

I'm thinking there won't be any pardoning of the turkey on Thanksgiving if those two wind up in power.

I keep forgetting about the origins of the Electoral College. And while it might lead to an unofficial civil war, how awesome would it be if it denied You-Know-Who his presidency?

• Love 1