Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

7 hours ago, YesWeCantNotKnope said:

Um, I'm usually pretty up to date on news, but... how in the fucking fuck did I miss this? How was this not all over the media?

“Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to president Trump. It’s everyone who’s ever doubted Donald, whoever disagreed, whoever challenged him. It is the ultimate revenge to become the most powerful man in the universe." 

Let me put this as bluntly and crudely as possible -- in other words, in Trumpian 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Pixel said:

It would go a long way toward easing anxiety and fear if Trump got on tv right now and made a statement that the violence, abuse, and bullshit going on around the country right now is not acceptable. He needs to make it clear that he doesn't support that kind of thing. These people feel justified because his win  legitimizes their bullshit. He needs to denounce any violence at home committed in the name of this new politically incorrect world. 

And that will never happen. It should. But it wont

It seems people feel they have the right to say horrible hurtful things now. That says a lot to me .After the example Rump put forth, people feel entitled to spew.  It happened to my bf at his job starting on Wednesday. .

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Pixel said:

It would go a long way toward easing anxiety and fear if Trump got on tv right now and made a statement that the violence, abuse, and bullshit going on around the country right now is not acceptable. He needs to make it clear that he doesn't support that kind of thing. These people feel justified because his win  legitimizes their bullshit. He needs to denounce any violence at home committed in the name of this new politically incorrect world. 

It won't happen.  After all, his white nationalist buddies supported him and they basically own his rotund orange ass.  He can't afford to piss them off, and they made it clear that they expect him to meet their demands after he and Uday openly courted them.

If he did manage to make a statement, it will be some cleverly worded nonsense penned by Kellyanne or some other surrogate.  He'll try to soberly read it without going off script and will include the words, "If anyone was offended..."

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, YesWeCantNotKnope said:

“Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to president Trump.

We don't have to bow down to our president. We would have to bow down to a fascist dictator. This is a yoooooge part of the problem, some folks just don't know the difference.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, ari333 said:

It seems people feel they have the right to say horrible hurtful things now. That says a lot to me .After the example Rump put forth, people feel entitled to spew.  It happened to my bf at his job starting on Wednesday. .

Yes, because "PC" has been officially abolished throughout the land!  Woo-hoo!! 

:-(

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I know it won't. It should have already happened. I wish Obama would do it, but the fact is that it won't resonate at all unless the right's new lord and master is the speaker. 

Sorry about your BF. What happened?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

I don't think he's done a hard day's work in his entire life.  You can only delegate so much as President.  Then he'll have to try to maintain his composure and watch everything he says.  He and his staff will be backtracking so much that it'll look like a flash mob moonwalking.

Well, that was true in the past. As was said on the Trumpcast podcast today, Trump's never done anything the way it's been done before. He might very well continue to make this another day in his "big dumb life" where he watches cable news and Tweets and does very little while scary people takeover. It's not surprising that he didn't really have any team of "the best" people to do anything, and has no interest in doing the research, but it's just so sad that of course he's hiring the usual cast of characters for everything, just like in a TV show. He's just picking people he knows--and this is still going to be called "a shake-up."

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

We don't have to bow down to our president. We would have to bow down to a fascist dictator. This is a yoooooge part of the problem, some folks just don't know the difference.

Which is why they voted for someone who claimed "I alone can fix this."

Edited by clb1016
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, dcalley said:

"it's a special place & you don't wanna do too much touching."

BARF. I mean, I agree, but I cannot ignore that wording.

As I remember, the person who wrote the article even made note of the wording in light of what he's been charged with.

Update: Omarosa stands by her statement and singles out Mitt Romney: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/omarosa-singles-out-mitt-romney-in-her-warning-to-bow-down-to-trump

“Let’s just say,” she continued, “the list of people who’ve turned on him, who’ve gone from friend to foe, is so incredibly long. The list of people who have mocked him—I mean, Mitt Romney held an entire press conference, and gave a 20 minute speech calling Donald Trump a con man and a fraud.”

Manigault went on to say Romney is the “one person who should read that quote over and over again.”

I mean... *bangs head on desk* 

• Love 2

The best thing Trump could possibly do would be to kick crazy dipshits like her to the kerb. He doesn't need them any more, and they cannot possibly be useful in running the country.

Now he's the president-elect, he should be able to actually hire decent people, instead of take the dregs that no one else wants.

6 minutes ago, auntl said:

This campaign was very ugly. People said a lot of mean and hurtful things on both sides. I understand that the people who's candidate lost are very disappointed and need a chance to commiserate.

However, some of the things said on this board are venomous. One person called the 60 million Trump voters "dumb fuckers". Wow...

At some point this board will stop being perceived as disappointed people expressing their disappointment and anxiety. It will start being perceived as a board for hateful sore losers throwing a temper tantrum.

Well, if it's good enough for our POS elect....  The Mango Monster will show us how to act, and we will act in kind.

• Love 15
36 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

You can only delegate so much as President.  Then he'll have to try to maintain his composure and watch everything he says.  He and his staff will be backtracking so much that it'll look like a flash mob moonwalking.

OMG this made me laugh so hard!!! What a great image!!

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, auntl said:

This campaign was very ugly. People said a lot of mean and hurtful things on both sides. I understand that the people who's candidate lost are very disappointed and need a chance to commiserate.

However, some of the things said on this board are venomous. One person called the 60 million Trump voters "dumb fuckers". Wow...

At some point this board will stop being perceived as disappointed people expressing their disappointment and anxiety. It will start being perceived as a board for hateful sore losers throwing a temper tantrum.

Yet even the sorest of them would vote to protect the rights of those 60 million Trump supporters. 

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

OMG this made me laugh so hard!!! What a great image!!

No kidding.

Hey, can you imagine being his press secretary? I know they don't tend to last very long in the White House, but Trump will be burning them out at a rate of four or five a year. He should stick Kellyanne Conway in that role, and see how long it takes before she ends up looking like the cryptkeeper.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I perceive this thread  as a place where people can come together and grieve.

That works for now but we've got to get back on our feet and get to work.  Protests going on all over the country, and the off-year elections in 2018 are more important than we could have imagined a week ago.

• Love 3

I was pissed off and hurt during the entire election cycle as Trump referred to women as pigs, fat, called immigrants rapists, spoke of "the blacks", "the latinos" and a slew of other disgusting statements.

See, it's okay if Trump does that, but if you respond by referring to people who follow a man endorsed by the KKK as racist, then you're the real bigot. 

ETA: Just as a preemptive strike against the idea that both are equally bad, I'm particularly fond of this little essay: Tolerating Intolerance Will Not Be Tolerated Here, or Breaking out of the Rhetorical Fool's Mate of Bigotry.

ETA2: Of course no one ever thinks they're racist. Earlier today I saw a facebook conversation between a couple of guys. R was anti-Trump, M was pro-Trump. R claimed that M was racist, M said that R was being a bigot by doing so. M's other comments were about cutting down on Muslim immigrants (but, according to M, that wasn't racist because religion isn't race). M also said that he'd be okay with a total pause on immigration until "we can better understand how to westernize some demographics." But nope, definitely not racist. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, clb1016 said:

That works for now but we've got to get back on our feet and get to work.  Protests going on all over the country, and the off-year elections in 2018 are more important than we could have imagined a week ago.

2017. Gubernatorial elections in Virginia and New Jersey. The Democrats have to win them. Or rather, hold Virginia and win New Jersey.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, auntl said:

Also - you are known by the company you keep.  Those who lie down with dogs and all.  The man who won the electoral votes is a known racist, sexist, misogynistic, xenophobic, miserable piece of protoplasm.  What other conclusion can people come up for regarding most of those who voted for him, except that they are/feel the same?

• Love 21
15 hours ago, dcalley said:

"it's a special place & you don't wanna do too much touching."

BARF. I mean, I agree, but I cannot ignore that wording.

I tried to track back and I still couldn't connect dots on this. Please, please, can someone tell me where this came from, who said it  and what it means? I've gotta know :)

9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

The one thing that worries me more the Trump being President is that with Republicans having control of both the House and the Senate there is no reason to do anything but pick a far far right Supreme Court Judge and basically start everything from the far corner of the right and nudge to the left only when the have to.  

Fof the next for years we are going to strain ourselves nudging.

Pretty much.  Trump will rubber stamp whatever the GoP led Congress wants and vice versa (except term limits), and the now 5-4 conservative Supreme Court will approve it all.

• Love 3

Whenever I hear stuff like "we have to respect their fears," I'm like, the fear of what? The existential fear of a more inclusive, more tolerant world? Okay, well, we'll hold your hand through all that if you want, but if what you want is to actively HARM other people and take away their rights, that is not acceptable. And that seems to be what they want. They want others to be oppressed and not included in society, like they used to be. Where rights belong to them only.

And if we respond to the actual, literal threat of having rights stripped from us, being oppressed, being targeted, being discriminated against, being deported- I'm sorry but that is not the same thing. The majority of this country is not hateful and did not vote for this man. We are not giving up our hard fought rights.

• Love 20

I would like to take this time to say how much I loathe Jared Kushner and have wanted to punch him in the face ever since I read a 2009 New York Magazine profile on him. Everything else awful about Trump aside, having to see Jared's smug mediocre-white-boy-product-of-nepotism-whose-daddy-bought-his-way-through-college-and-he-can't-even-be-appreciative-of-his-opportunities-and-he's-a-slumlord-and-he-uses-his-grandparents'-experience-as-Holocaust-survivors-as-props-to-dismiss-Trump's-antisemitism face all the fuckin time during this election cycle was just the cherry on top of a shit sundae. 

And now I'll never get away from that douche. >:( 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, YesWeCantNotKnope said:

Um, I'm usually pretty up to date on news, but... how in the fucking fuck did I miss this? How was this not all over the media?

“Every critic, every detractor, will have to bow down to president Trump. It’s everyone who’s ever doubted Donald, whoever disagreed, whoever challenged him. It is the ultimate revenge to become the most powerful man in the universe." 

That gave me chills. I am definitely not a hyperbolic person, but... this, to me, confirms that the fear millions of us Americans have of a Trump presidency SHOULD be terrified. Especially since Omarosa worked with his campaign. She was one of his major surrogates. 

Now tell me why I shouldn't feel as if I'm a Jew in Germany in about 1936? Or an average Russian during Stalin's iron rule? If that wasn't a direct threat, then I've never heard one.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

I tried to track back and I still couldn't connect dots on this. Please, please, can someone tell me where this came from, who said it  and what it means? I've gotta know :)

The 1st quote (about "a special place", etc.) is from a People magazine article, from earlier this week, that I posted a link to upthread. It's in regards to whether or not Trump plans to exercise his right to redecorate the White House (as in like his Trump Tower apartment is decorated) once he takes office. Thankfully, he claims there'll only be a little touching up because the White House is a special place (thank heaven he apparently recognizes that) & so, he says, "you don't wanna do too much touching."

• Love 1

From Comic Book Resources: Artists weigh in on the election.           Question for comic fans: Can a man who is 40 get away with wearing a shirt with Ms. Marvel's symbol? I imagine Kamala Khan would persevere with so much dignity.

As for Omarosa Manigault? She's Omarosa Manigault. Who gives a flying fuck what she says? She hasn't been relevant in twelve years. She was a bigger eyesore on The Apprentice than flabby Richard Hatch on Survivor, and she is a black hole unto herself.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, auntl said:

People on this board need to understand that the people from PA, OH, WS, MI voted for Obama in the last election. The people who voted for Trump are not bigots. Just because people have a different opinion than you, they are not bad, they are not dumb, they are not racists. They just have a different opinion and perceive things differently than you. They don't agree with you that Trump is a bigot. They also don't see Hillary as a saint. People on this board must understand that half of the country doesn't agree with their perception of things. I wish that they would keep that in mind when they make their posts.

Agree that Hillary ain't no saint. I was trying to "lean in" to a Hillary presidency even though I didn't care for her much. I am not sad for her now, either, and I thought I might feel bad for her. I cannot see, though, how someone who is informed can see Trump as not being bigoted. A 1-minute glance at his Twitter account reveals that.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

The 1st quote (about "a special place", etc.) is from a People magazine article, from earlier this week, that I posted a link to upthread. It's in regards to whether or not Trump plans to exercise his right to redecorate the White House (as in like his Trump Tower apartment is decorated) once he takes office. Thankfully, he claims there'll only be a little touching up because the White House is a special place (thank heaven he apparently recognizes that) & so, he says, "you don't wanna do too much touching."

Thanks! Just goes to show that context is everything :) I don't even want to say where my mind was going, lol.

15 minutes ago, auntl said:

People on this board need to understand that the people from PA, OH, WS, MI voted for Obama in the last election. The people who voted for Trump are not bigots. Just because people have a different opinion than you, they are not bad, they are not dumb, they are not racists. They just have a different opinion and perceive things differently than you. They don't agree with you that Trump is a bigot. They also don't see Hillary as a saint. People on this board must understand that half of the country doesn't agree with their perception of things. I wish that they would keep that in mind when they make their posts.

Do you have some statistics to back up that assertion that across the board those Trump and Obama voters overlapped?  Can you provide some statistics to prove they aren't bigots?

Belief is NOT fact.  Those voters can choose to believe he's not a bigot but that doesn't change the fact that he did racially discriminate in his business dealings.  It is a fact that he said Mexicans were rapists and murderers.  It is a fact that he still thinks the Central Park Five, who have been exonerated with DNA evidence, are guilty. 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 22
13 minutes ago, auntl said:

I do not think Hillary is a saint. Far from it. She's the queen of underhanded bullshit. To me, however, hate overrides that, and hate is the commodity Trump built his platform on. All I can do is hope to God he's not who he has shown us he is. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Do you have some statistics to back up that assertion that across the board those Trump and Obama voters overlapped?  Can you provide some statistics to prove they aren't bigots?

Belief is NOT fact.  Those voters can choose to believe he's not a bigot but that doesn't change the fact that he did racially discriminate in his business dealings.

Michael Moore on Morning Joe today had some info/persepctive on this. Really interesting if you have time to watch. I tried to link it but it didn't work. 

Edited by Pixel
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I do not think Hillary is a saint. Far from it. She's the queen of underhanded bullshit. To me, however, hate overrides that, and hate is the commodity Trump built his platform on. All I can do is hope to God he's not who he has shown us he is. 

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time - Maya Angelou

Edited by lyric
  • Love 6