Type keyword(s) to search

Post-Election Fears & Anxieties

32 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Here are the Washington Post and the New York Times on the Russian diplomat story. From the latter:

I am somewhat withholding judgment on this story for now because it's still developing, but: Which senators? Names, please.

My attempts to not cry today failed before I even got out of bed. Maybe tomorrow.

Since I believe our 17 intelligence agencies that Russian intelligence interfered with our election to throw it to Trump, I have no problem believing that all this backpedaling is just a lie.  Here's from the original Reuter's news article I linked to above, and it still has a ring of truth to me:

"The Russian government was in touch with members of President-elect Donald Trump’s political team during the U.S. election campaign and knows most of his entourage, one of Russia’s most senior diplomats told the Interfax news agency on Thursday."

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Trump looks SO miserable at the White House today. I'm telling you guys, he's going to hate this job so much. Now that campaigning is over and he has to be a "serious person," I wonder if the flashes of self awareness he's shown in his life return at all.

I know that he knows he's completely in over his head, deep down. I don't know, maybe that will save us from his becoming Hitler on some level.

And his attitude has changed on a dime now that he met with Obama and suddenly he's a great man and it's an honor to meet him and he wants his counsel, etc. Obama being nice to him has completely changed his mind about this whole thing, like it always does whenever he meets a powerful person. All he wants is to be in with celebrities, public figures, presidents. He doesn't give a shit about his supporters.

I would not be surprised if he does all of a sudden start thinking he'd much rather be in with the popular President Obama than these idiots like Mike Pence (who he obviously hates), and all it takes is meeting with him more over the next two months for him to listen to anything he'll have to say. In my fantasy, Obama figures out super fast how to manipulate and influence him, pulls out Trump's inner Democrat, which he always was before anyway, and becomes a secret advisor behind the scenes to keep him from going off the rails, lol.

I wish, but since I agree with Tony Schwartz that Donald Trump is just a sociopath and a conman and liar, I think he was just acting another part today, too.

I'm just cynical enough to even believe he's being coached (by Bannon?) to make nice in public, play the part of "president" until he can secure the presidency and all the people around him can start abusing the power of the office, having disarmed a few more people into thinking, "Oh, maybe he's not that bad."

I'm trying to find Elizabeth Warren's letter today. It was scorching.

• Love 12

Trump looking somewhat somber and overwhelmed has been the one slightly less than terrible thing about these last few days tbh. At least there might be hope that he has some self-awareness that he's in over his head, that he's responsible now and if he screws it up there will be hell to pay. Pipe dreams, I know, but it would make me even queasier if he was all bluster and self-assurance now.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

I wonder how long it will take our Orange Overlord to create a dummy logging business and begin chopping down the remaining old growth redwoods around here, to line his pockets with more ill-gotten gains?  You just know he's going to declare public parks of all types open for business.  Anyone want to make any bets?

If you can find some volunteers to feed my criiitters twice a day, I will chain myself to an old growth tree (and shit in a bucket!) for as long as it takes you to come to your senses, AmeriKa.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, katha said:

Trump looking somewhat somber and overwhelmed has been the one slightly less than terrible thing about these last few days tbh. At least there might be hope that he has some self-awareness that he's in over his head, that he's responsible now and if he screws it up there will be hell to pay. Pipe dreams, I know, but it would make me even queasier if he was all bluster and self-assurance now.

I think it's this more than the other part. I think there's regret in there too. He has said things like this throughout the whole campaign at times- I remember, there were times when he even said "why did I even do this? I had a good life," etc. I never believed that he actually wanted to do the job, just that he didn't want to lose and be embarrassed in front of everyone.

But now? Shit's real. I don't know what's going to happen and I don't think he does either.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I will never, ever look at this country the same way again, no matter what happens. 

Yes, me either. And there is no amount of kumbaya we-can-overcome optimism that will change that, because I know it'll take at least a generation before this country is what I thought it was the day before the election. And that's only if the white men and women who voted him in figure out his values are evil. Which probably won't happen.

Edited by random chance
typo
  • Love 18
22 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Drumpf looks SO miserable at the White House today. I'm telling you guys, he's going to hate this job so much. Now that campaigning is over and he has to be a "serious person," I wonder if the flashes of self awareness he's shown in his life return at all.

I know that he knows he's completely in over his head, deep down. I don't know, maybe that will save us from his becoming Hitler on some level.

And his attitude has changed on a dime now that he met with Obama and suddenly he's a great man and it's an honor to meet him and he wants his counsel, etc. Obama being nice to him has completely changed his mind about this whole thing, like it always does whenever he meets a powerful person. All he wants is to be in with celebrities, public figures, presidents. He doesn't give a shit about his supporters.

I would not be surprised if he does all of a sudden start thinking he'd much rather be in with the popular President Obama than these idiots like Mike Pence (who he obviously hates), and all it takes is meeting with him more over the next two months for him to listen to anything he'll have to say. In my fantasy, Obama figures out super fast how to manipulate and influence him, pulls out Drumpf's inner Democrat, which he always was before anyway, and becomes a secret advisor behind the scenes to keep him from going off the rails, lol.

I can't figure him out. I guess it's part of what makes him attractive to so many. Is he an idiot or a genius? Does he want to be president, or is this all just one big, mean joke that went too far, and now he can't back out?

He surely didn't know what the job entailed, and you know that Obama took a looong time spelling it all out today. How much work is involved, how much information he'll have to take in, absorb, remember. The diplomacy, the compromising, the swallowing of any number of crappy deals to be able to get anything done.

God, I really hope that the charm offensive from Obama and the Democrats can win him over, and he actually leads a moderate govt, but I doubt it. If he appoints his lackeys to the cabinet, everyone should despair.

• Love 4

I am happy to know that I'm not alone in how I feel about this election. I'm quite angry at the pollsters, though, because they really screwed up! I don't think Tuesday would have been as bad if the race had been shown tied for a few weeks or even him with a better chance. I don't want to hear the excuse of "margin of error" because the national polls actually ended up being close to what the final popular vote result is. The state polls, especially in the upper Midwest, were really off. 

I keep reciting the line from Ted Kennedy's 1980 speech: "the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." It's been giving me a lot of strength and hope.

I think this election also shows how the Democrats don't have a very deep bench. They were killed at almost every level of government in multiple states. They need to start finding and recruiting candidates for local offices like school boards and city councils, and state legislatures, and start getting people ready to run in the 2018 midterms. The party that holds the White House usually loses seats in the midterm elections so if the Democrats can get some good candidates and really work on getting the vote out they could make some inroads and get more people ready for possible 2020 runs. 

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

If you can find some volunteers to feed my criiitters twice a day, I will chain myself to an old growth tree (and shit in a bucket!) for as long as it takes you to come to your senses, AmeriKa.

Yes, WQ. The thing is, I know you; and I know you mean it.

• Love 2

I had a conference call this morning with two of my colleagues, one in Germany and one in Spain. They, like me, are both female attorneys. Before we even got to the topic at hand, they immediately expressed their regret at how election turned out and they both said that the news in both of their countries on Trump was not good and that people there were very worried as well. They thought his election was impossible and they fear for diplomatic relations around the world, especially given Trump's ties to Russia, and they are not even remotely at ease.

This election does have a world wide effect. Trump is not a diplomat, nor will he ever be. He offends people regularly, likely will not bother to learn certain customs and traditions of other countries that one needs to in order to be respectful and he will just tear apart any progress we've made with our allies over many decades. He will likely also cause irreparable damage with newer alliances and agreements, as those relationships are still quite fragile. He will be just like a bull in a china shop when it comes to international relations, and I don't have any faith in whomever may end up as SoS either, since the only people Trump will put forward for the position will likely be just as bad as he is.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I can't figure him out. I guess it's part of what makes him attractive to so many. Is he an idiot or a genius? Does he want to be president, or is this all just one big, mean joke that went too far, and now he can't back out?

He surely didn't know what the job entailed, and you know that Obama took a looong time spelling it all out today. How much work is involved, how much information he'll have to take in, absorb, remember. The diplomacy, the compromising, the swallowing of any number of crappy deals to be able to get anything done.

God, I really hope that the charm offensive from Obama and the Democrats can win him over, and he actually leads a moderate govt, but I doubt it. If he appoints his lackeys to the cabinet, everyone should despair.

Definitely this. The question is how does he respond now that's he got this.

I wouldn't put it past the charm offensive from Obama to win him over though. I bet it could, pretty easily. But I don't know if actually helps anything, it'd probably just cause him to fight with Republicans all the time. I do think it'd be kinda funny for the Republicans to realize he hates them and would much rather listen to the popular president, etc. But again, his total disinterest in governing makes it seem like it'd be easier for the nutjobs to take everything over.

The only thing that could stop that would be if Trump himself decided he wanted to work with Democrats because he actually prefers their policies, and I just don't see him having the desire to get that involved, ultimately.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, ari333 said:

If  were several states closer to you, WQ I would totally feed your critters while  you are out strapped to a tree. And I believe you'd do it in a heartbeat.

Me and my ID channel weapons of singular destruction are ready to  fight for a cause.  Recliner machete, car cconsole hatchet & purse ulu - waiting patiently  ...  :-D

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Trump looks SO miserable at the White House today. I'm telling you guys, he's going to hate this job so much. Now that campaigning is over and he has to be a "serious person," I wonder if the flashes of self awareness he's shown in his life return at all.

I would not be surprised if he does all of a sudden start thinking he'd much rather be in with the popular President Obama than these idiots like Mike Pence (who he obviously hates), and all it takes is meeting with him more over the next two months for him to listen to anything he'll have to say. In my fantasy, Obama figures out super fast how to manipulate and influence him, pulls out Trump's inner Democrat, which he always was before anyway, and becomes a secret advisor behind the scenes to keep him from going off the rails, lol.

Flashes of self-awareness?  When?  Where?  How?  He, himself, said in those revealing tapes that NYT had access to a few short weeks ago that he doesn't like to examine himself too closely because he's not sure if he would like what he sees.

And, Tony Schwartz is right.  The man is a sociopath.  They can be quite charming, but the level of invective thrown at President Obama comes from a very dark place.  I think on some level he was overwhelmed and probably medicated to ensure that he "behaves" himself.  Unfortunately, it won't save him from being Hitler.  Because Drumpf is also a man with a shitload of insecurities and we saw for ourselves how he lashes out when he feels insecure.  Men like Drumpf have been known to start wars or engage in other catastrophic foolery when they feel insulted and disrespected.  That's why his puppet master, Putin, despises Obama and Hillary--because he felt they disrespected him.  And, now that the alt-right supported Drumpf, according to this Washington Post article, its members want him to meet their demands.  Good luck with that one!  alt-right Wants its Demands Met  Oh, and he courted these clowns.  So much for the "let's join hands in unity" claptrap by Drumpf and his supremely disingenuous team and supporters. 

And, yes--as a sociopath, he doesn't give a rat's ass about what his supporters wanted.  It was all about his own aggrandizement.  And, man is he missing those adoring crowds right about now!  Now that he has to actually put in the work, he's a little cowed.  For now.  He's probably realizing that what started out as an ego salve has morphed into something bigger, and today was the quintessential "Oh shit!" moment.  It's too late to back out now and he can't just simply fly around on a plane "making America great again."

• Love 19

How is he going to succeed when 50+% of Americans think he's filth...Thanks to his own words.

Dems need to fight fire with fire (sorry Michelle) and produce some "news" shows like Frontier has on... Channel after channel. Dems could be mean and not even have to lie like the fox/oneamerica/how the democrats were pro-slave/  24/7 so-called 'documentaries'. Forget the doormat MSNBC. We need to be 'mean liberals' that we are accused of being and get up on our hind legs. (At least until we get tossed into camps where the company will be of a better class anyway.)

4 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Definitely this. The question is how does he respond now that's he got this.

I wouldn't put it past the charm offensive from Obama to win him over though. I bet it could, pretty easily. But I don't know if actually helps anything, it'd probably just cause him to fight with Republicans all the time. I do think it'd be kinda funny for the Republicans to realize he hates them and would much rather listen to the popular president, etc. But again, his total disinterest in governing makes it seem like it'd be easier for the nutjobs to take everything over.

The only thing that could stop that would be if Trump himself decided he wanted to work with Democrats because he actually prefers their policies, and I just don't see him having the desire to get that involved, ultimately.

Trump would think having a black friend makes him a hero. He also strikes me as a secret Beta... he protests too much about 'sexy women'

'

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I don't live close enough to you to feed your critters, but I'll damn well join you on the chain gang.  I know my close friend will feed my kitty whilst I'm with you.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Ocean Chick said:

I don't live close enough to you to feed your critters, but I'll damn well join you on the chain gang.  I know my close friend will feed my kitty whilst I'm with you.

YESSS!!!! Outraged cat ladies WILL rule!

• Love 8

He offends people regularly, likely will not bother to learn certain customs and traditions of other countries that one needs to in order to be respectful

Of course not; that would just be "bowing to political correctness," you know, and we can't have that.  Because this is the goddamned world in which we live right now -- to avoid "excluding, marginalizing, or insulting groups of people, particularly those who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against" is cause for mockery and sneering dismissal.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14

Dems can't seem to get it together. I just spent another whole Election cycle screaming, Fiiight!!!! We're too nice?

Trump looked impatient in every WH pic I saw. Not humbled, just a, get on  with it! Didn't even seem properly impressed when Ryan showed him the view of the Mall from a WH window. 

But maybe I'm jaundiced.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Don't underestimate the power of Outraged Cat Ladies!  We've learned from the best - our cats.

My runtiest disease ridden cat could whup Trump's ass.

Just now, NewDigs said:

giphy.gif

I fuckin DIE!!!! Damn you to hell for making me choke/laugh my last remaining lung.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

I agree.  Trump looked like "Oh shit."  He's going to find out that it's one thing to campaign to adoring fans and quite different to have to stay in the White House and actually work.  Does he even have a clue what he is in for?

Someone on Facebook posted about the fact that the traditional photo of the Obamas and Trumps at the White House was cancelled and they are blaming Michelle, saying she cancelled.  Of course this was a link from a conservative news source. Michelle is way too classy and professional to throw a fit and say no picture. Saying such mean spirited things about the Obamas.  I cannot wait until after the inauguration and they can stop blaming everything on them. Or maybe they won't.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

And make a better president.

I have TeeVee watching raccoons that would do a better job.  Even dumbass possums  and skunks, who only wish they were my backyard ferals.fer fuck's sake. Anything except that rapey can of Fanta.

12 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

And make a better human being.

12 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

And make a better human being.

My critters didn't vote  - and I couldn't, because I am a rcecalcitrant Canadian, eh (aka Permanent Resident ALIEN_)

Edited by walnutqueen
Now you know alll my secrets
  • Love 4

Thinking about avatars . . . here's Obama as a Blue Lantern from 2011. The deal is that there's an "emotional spectrum," where people can channel emotions into power through rings. In DC Comics' books, Blue Lanterns symbolize hope. While most of them are presented as holy beings, with their leader's name being Saint Walker, I figured Obama would qualify because he represented hope so well. I don't know if I can squeeze the whole thing into a small space, but I'm willing to try.

Is Hillary Clinton the female John McCain? Both were thwarted at the primaries, came back eight years later, only to lose to agents of change from the opposing side. With Hillary's many faults, at least she won't go down as the person who unleashed Sarah Palin on an unsuspecting world.

ETA: The tagline from Saint Walker: "All Will Be Well." Sounds naive as hell given the circumstances, but I'm willing to latch onto it.

• Love 5

Just thought I'd share a bright spot in the midst of our collective hurt, anger, sadness . . .

My son is a 22-year-old college senior. Tuesday night I was on the phone with him and his sister (they attend the same college) and all three of us were crying. Wednesday night, I spoke with both of them and they said they felt sick to their stomachs all day and that all of their classmates were just in stunned silence. So today, I get a text from him and this is what it reads: "This is the lowest I've felt about my country in my life, and I don't really know how to deal with it. But what I decided is that during these next four years I'm not going to stay quiet. I'm not going to allow hate and bigotry to spread like I think it will, and I'm not going to let this be a place where my gay friends and minority friends feel like they are in danger. These 'leaders' we now have are gonna get sick of hearing my voice over the next four years."

• Love 20

Someone on Facebook posted about the fact that the traditional photo of the Obamas and Trumps at the White House was cancelled and they are blaming Michelle, saying she cancelled.  Of course this was a link from a conservative news source. Michelle is way too classy and professional to throw a fit and say no picture. Saying such mean spirited things about the Obamas.  I cannot wait until after the inauguration and they can stop blaming everything on them. Or maybe they won't.

No, Michelle didn't cancel it:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/obamas-cancel-first-couples-photo-op-with-donald-melania-trump-w449748

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

YESSS!!!! Outraged cat ladies WILL rule!

I think Outraged Cat Ladies should be the name of our movement.

I made the mistake of going on Facebook today. I can't stand the posts saying that we shouldn't judge Trump supporters harshly, that we can disagree and still respect each other. Fuck, no. I have Republican friends who have consistent conservative positions that I can respectfully disagree with because those positions have some thought behind them. Even disregarding the racist/sexist/anti-everyone-not-white-and-straight faction, I have no respect for people whose sole political position is "My life isn't what I was promised it would be and someone has to pay." I can't imagine how much it must suck to be left behind as our economy changes so dramatically but these people who think it's because of illegal immigrants or cell phones for people on welfare instead of jackoffs like Trump and the Wall Street titans who almost took down the global economy - these people make me want to scream! I blame them for their stupidity, for their inability to accept facts that don't slot neatly into whatever their magic book tells them. for their intolerance and hatefulness.

So I'm going to go feed my colony of feral cats - fully dressed and without rollers in my hair, unlike the odious crazy cat lady stereotype.

• Love 9

I would understand if Melanoma cancelled it, not wanting to be compared to the lovely First Lady (and she's a lady in EVERY sense of the word) we've had for the last 8 years.  But you know the troglodytes are going to believe the falsified versions.

• Love 5

Lovely. I hear that DT wants Steve Bannon as chief of staff. Let's see, Guiliani, Bannon, Lewandowski, hmm, potential cabinet members.

A real He-Man Woman Haters Club. Unless you are a *10* Slovenian nude model. They don't hate those wimmin.  

• Love 5

I think Trump cares about winning, however that's defined. He saw the election as a big fun game with screaming adoration from the masses and figured out that as long as his message was beating up on librulls, Obama, Hillary, the rigged press, the rigged system, he would "win."

News flash, Orange Thing - now the game's different. How do you win now? Because actually working isn't about winning. It's about...well, working. Talking to people other than your adoring masses. Talking to important people who also have nuclear codes and nuclear war, I'm afraid, doesn't care who you are. You will die, too. God, maybe he needs medication to get through the next four years like the rest of us.

I think my shock is wearing off and now I've entered anger. The way I see it, they have two years to do the most damage. I don't think the country would really tolerate the obliteration of elections entirely by 2018, so we have two years to do what we can do to stop what we can. Grueling, long odds, and we're all tired and extremely cynical and depressed and scared. But fuck if I'm going to say and do nothing. 

So, to all the gloating turds cheering on the "end of liberalism" and rise of the neocons and mocking our protests and calling us crybabies - yeah, we're crying now. But I'm taking a page from HRC and getting back up, madder and more determined than ever. She deserves that from me. She couldn't win a fight that was impossibly stacked against her, but that doesn't mean she fought for nothing. 

It wasn't for nothing that a Holocaust survivor came and spoke to one of my college classes and told us how he watched his mother and baby sister be led to the crematorium and how he showed us pictures and told us, through tears, to please never forget, that this is why he talks about it. 

Checklist:

1. Donate to ACLU. Done

2. Sign up for local Dem meeting next week to get involved at local scene. Done.

3. Thanks to the poster who mentioned the protest observer training. Am looking into that. 

4. Always focus on what can be done. Not what might happen. 

5. Find out which journalists and pundits are going to be heroes (and those that already are) and who will stand up for the freedom of the press and write honest pieces about the Trump administration. All eyeballs, clicks and subscriptions go to those people. 

6. Create and enjoy art and support/volunteer conservation/wildlife efforts. It's going to become a fucking revolutionary act.

7. Find copy of Sting's song "Russians" that's clearly due for a revival. Sure do hope the Russians love their children, too...

Trump is not my president. The louts in Congress still answer to the voters. We have two years to prepare our answer. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, honybr said:

We're African-American and I told my husband that at least for the next little while I need him to stop doing his morning walks by himself.

Someone needs to come up with an App for that, because I would be totally happy to walk with anyone anywhere, or sit on a bus with them, or whatever. Like Uber but free.

11 minutes ago, Grommet said:

I can't stand the posts saying that we shouldn't judge Trump supporters harshly, that we can disagree and still respect each other. Fuck, no. I have Republican friends who have consistent conservative positions that I can respectfully disagree with because those positions have some thought behind them.

I am not going to respect or gently judge positions like, "grab her by the p**** is just boys locker room talk." I mean that's not even a position, it's outright delusion. I don't know why so many women went along with that, but I am goddamned if I'll be one of them.

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, Grommet said:

I made the mistake of going on Facebook today. I can't stand the posts saying that we shouldn't judge Trump supporters harshly, that we can disagree and still respect each other. Fuck, no. I have Republican friends who have consistent conservative positions that I can respectfully disagree with because those positions have some thought behind them. Even disregarding the racist/sexist/anti-everyone-not-white-and-straight faction, I have no respect for people whose sole political position is "My life isn't what I was promised it would be and someone has to pay." I can't imagine how much it must suck to be left behind as our economy changes so dramatically but these people who think it's because of illegal immigrants or cell phones for people on welfare instead of jackoffs like Trump and the Wall Street titans who almost took down the global economy - these people make me want to scream! I blame them for their stupidity, for their inability to accept facts that don't slot neatly into whatever their magic book tells them. for their intolerance and hatefulness.

So I'm going to go feed my colony of feral cats - fully dressed and without rollers in my hair, unlike the odious crazy cat lady stereotype.

BBM

That gave me a smile. I needed one.  :-)

18 minutes ago, Grommet said:

Outraged Cat Ladies sounds like a good name for an anti-terrorist cell. M y feral cats are quite used to seeing me nekkid (ond old, fat & ugly)   You decide, America.

Maybe it is starting to dawn on Trump that there is a reason American presidents all look about 20 years older at the end of their terms.

I am afraid he will delegate all to Satan aka Pence.

How often did Vice Presidents manage to become President without a catastrophic event?

• Love 7

@YesWeCantNotKnope Thanks for the Seth Meyers video. I don't watch him because it's too much to keep up with the daily late night shows but it made me cry laugh.

People with no impediments to voting who don't vote should be called out (it's their right to opt out, but it's also our right to judge that decision), but the most disturbing issues for me are a) the number of people made ineligible to vote in the first place by our "new Jim Crow" laws, b) the places where voting is made cumbersome, voters are mislead and intimidated, etc. and c) gerrymandering of districts.  (And, golly gee, it must be a coincidence the majority of those disenfranchised by A, B, and C are statistically likely to vote for Democrats.)

It's just crazy to me. Do you want to know what my voting experience was like? I went "home" to our little, fairly affluent suburb. We drove up to the local middle school. Easy to find parking. We walked up. No line. We went inside. One person ahead of us. I gave them my name and address. They looked it up in this book. They let me sign on the line. Then they gave me a ballot. I filled it out. I went over to the machine. I put it in the machine. In less than 30 seconds it was approved. I left. The end. OK, maybe there should be a little more assurance that I was who I said I was but other than that, it should always be that easy. Also, I didn't have to work on Election Day. WHY HAVEN'T WE MADE IT A NATIONAL HOLIDAY YET? I'm not saying everyone in that 50% or so that didn't vote, didn't vote because they wanted to but they were working or busy. But isn't it possible that if people had the time and the experience didn't take forever that maybe more people would vote?

I looked it up and my local Planned Parenthood (there's one walking distance from me) doesn't need employees or volunteers at the moment (I have medical office admin experience). The closest ones are in Westchester. I'll keep an eye on it though and continue trying to think of other options.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Maybe it is starting to dawn on Trump that there is a reason American presidents all look about 20 years older at the end of their terms.

I am afraid he will delegate all to Satan aka Pence.

How often did Vice Presidents manage to become President without a catastrophic event?

I loathe Rump, but Pence scares me more.

• Love 12

@stewedsquash - I would have given anything to hear a debate between Trump and HRC on all of the issues you listed. I would love a plan to cut taxes for the middle class without gutting essential government function and protection, but the sticking point is what everyone believes to be "essential" or "good." That's the stuff of discussion and compromise and honest talk (and, I'm sure, way off topic here). 

You didn't vote HRC because you believe her to be corrupt. I didn't vote for Trump in part because I think he's a total con man, and he didn't convince me at any of the speeches I heard that he was in this because he cared about issues and thoughtful reform. 

And I do oppose, vehemently, the neocon, theocracy teabagger BS that's such a big part of Congress. If Trump is merely going to push that BS through, then, correct, I don't have an open mind. And I'm perfectly OK spending the next few years doing what I can to stop what I can. 

We aren't going to change each other's mind, but I do hope you're right that the sun will come up (that is, our planet will survive) for the next four years and our country thrives without thriving at the expense of others. 

• Love 6