Type keyword(s) to search

Donald John Trump: 2016 President-Elect

4 minutes ago, stillshimpy said:

Yes, yes it is wildly different, as a matter of fact.  For one thing, she isn't attempting to hide behind religious intolerance to justify bigotry and discrimination in order to break the law.  She's not even saying she won't perform <---- ahoy!  A very key difference! Why one might even be moved to say, it's the antithesis of what you're citing and would be accurate in doing so, no less.  What she is saying, and the thing that people are saying is that she's not happy about it.

Yup, and the very key thing is that it's discrimination to bake a cake for everyone but refuse to bake the same cake for anyone from a certain minority group. Obviously completely different than a young woman who's not even refusing to do the job she's been assigned to do even though she objects to the stated beliefs and actions of the person being celebrated (as opposed to an accident of birth). If she refused to do it she'd presumably be in breach of her contract and she'd be the one to pay the price for that--she's respecting the terms of her employment.

• Love 10

Last night on MSNBC  Deputy Sec of State Wendy Sherman said, re: Trump and Twitter, "You can't make a new nuclear policy in 140 words over the internet."  It sounded ridiculous, of course, that anyone would take something so complicated, with billions of lives potentially at risk, and do that.

Then, Jonathan Alter corrected her. "Not 140 words. 140 characters."  That really underscored the absurdity of Trump, as commander-in-chief and chief diplomat-to-be.

I really think he should be banned from using Twitter once he's president.  (On the other hand, assuming we survive his presidency, I want him to be humiliated for generations to come because all of those idiotic, petty, mean-spirited tweets will be preserved as his "written record" forever.)

He's not exactly JFK.

(Oh, and as a Kennedy fan, the idea that Kellyanne Conway will now have the same job that Ted Sorensen did for Kennedy...well, no words for it.  I don't know how our country will now have Conway--Priebus--Bannon in the Donald Trump Oval Office.  (They aren't Ronald Reagan's quality team either--Jim Baker, Mike Deaver, Ed Meese and Nancy Reagan).  It could be a hilarious black comedy, if only it weren't true.  

• Love 9

Per Ace of Spades @Ace of Spades HQ

I've seen some [...] progressives [...}attempting to argue against the inarguable: that they're now reversing their previous stance (Bake Me a Cake, Cake-Bitch) simply because they agree with this person.

I've seen some of this on Twitter (I don't see progz very often besides Twitter, I mean, except for all of television and movies and magazines and newspapers), and their argument seems to be: "This is different because Reasons, Stupid."

We are coming to a flashpoint in all of this. We used to have a Rule of Law, where certain actions -- not certain people -- were outlawed. One could or could not do this or say this. All of this depended on the action, not the actor.

One might disagree with the law that one must provide services to any traveler if one were in the business of providing a "public accomdation" (hotels and restaurants near major travel routes), but even if one disagreed with the law, one could at least find solace in the idea that the law would protect one as well as others. Sure, maybe you couldn't discriminate against person x, but then, no one could refuse to rent a hotel room to youjust because they "didn't like the looks of you."

But that's changing -- and quickly. We no longer have a Rule of Law, but a Rule of Status. It is not the action which is proscribed; it is the actor himself made outlaw. Some people -- progressives, members of "protected classes," members of Obama's political coalition -- have the right to do whatever they want and break any alleged "law" they like with impunity. 

Meanwhile, the laws are applied with iron force to those outside the Coalition of the Privileged. And because these laws fall only on the Officially Disfavored Classes, the Officially Favored Class never has to ask themselves, "Wait, do I want this rule, given that I might myself be pinioned by it?" Because, of course, they know full well they never will be pinioned by it.

They are First Class Citizens. The rest of us are Coach or Steerage. 

We must defer to our Superiors.

And mark my words: this Brave Special Snowflake Dissenter will in fact be excused from the arduous duty of doing her job.

It might even just be Trump who excuses her -- because who wants a potential saboteur on stage?

2 hours ago, backformore said:

so early this morning, Trump is tweeting about the "possible conflict of interest"

No, nobody is saying he can't contribute to charity - only that he cannot tie donations to a promise of an audience with the president.   soliciting donations to his foundation with the promise of meeting the Trump family IS a conflict of interest. 

Here's an idea - how about if Eric donates some of his own money?  or puts someone else in charge of the foundation and only accept anonymous donations? 

What a moron. He acts as though these generally acknowledged ethical guidelines were put in place just to punish him and his dumb ass family. He is too stupid to understand that they are there to PROTECT ALL OF US - even him. Just another example of his raging narcissism. 

Edited by BBDi
  • Love 15
24 minutes ago, Padma said:

Last night on MSNBC  Deputy Sec of State Wendy Sherman said, re: Trump and Twitter, "You can't make a new nuclear policy in 140 words over the internet."  It sounded ridiculous, of course, that anyone would take something so complicated, with billions of lives potentially at risk, and do that.

Then, Jonathan Alter corrected her. "Not 140 words. 140 characters."  That really underscored the absurdity of Trump, as commander-in-chief and chief diplomat-to-be.

Just a guess, but I suspect this new "arms race" controversy may be a PR attempt to convince the public, "See?   I'm not really Putin's buddy.  If I were Putin's buddy would I make it look like I'm starting an arms race with him?" 

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:00 AM, Rapunzel said:

More classy behavior from an apparent Trump supporter at a Louisville, KY JC Penny's store who tells some latino shoppers "to go back to where they belong" and to "speak English" and states that they are "probably on welfare." She also uses several other choice words and phrases. It was caught on video.

According to the person that shot the video, the woman ranting also apparently stated that believes that Trump is going to "fix" this. The link to the article also contains some of the video shot by another shopper's cell phone: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/speak-english-you-re-america-woman-tells-latina-shoppers-rant-n698776.

It's a really sad world when these racists, bigots, homophobes, misogynists, etc. are now coming out of the woodwork because Trump has set the example that this kind of behavior is alright - this is becoming the "new normal," so to speak. These are the kind of people that I will not for sorry for when their healthcare goes away or is too expensive for them to afford, when social security and medicare are gutted, when they realize their jobs aren't coming back and that they are too uneducated to get any other jobs, when their homes are foreclosed on, when the cost of goods starts to rise, etc. These assholes that behave like this deserve everything that they have coming to them.

I can understand being upset because you think someone is cutting in line in front of you, but this?  UGH.

• Love 3

I am not sure if Trump needs to stay off Twitter or Trump on Twitter is the best most reliable thing ever, 

Has Trump ever watched WarGames? Maybe Mathew Broderick should explain the plot to him?  Kid hacks military central computer and nearly starts nuclear war with Russians.  Hi Putin!!!!!  Want to play a game?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9

Has Trump ever watched WarGames? Maybe Mathew Broderick should explain the plot to him?  Kid hacks military central computer and nearly starts war with Russians.  Hi Putin!!!!!  Want to play a game?

The only winning move is....wait, we already passed on a winning move and instead elected the Mango Misogynist.   

At least we can all love it when they nuke Las Vegas.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Good grief.

Now I'm thinking I should subscribe to Teen Vogue.

They're doing a heckuva job! Dare I say better than "normal" MSM. That makes me both happy and sad.

• Love 16

The only good thing to come of this is that now we get to see who we are dealing with.   There are people in my life who I will never view the same way BUT I'm glad I know who they really are now.   There are people who I credited as having a great deal of empathy and intellect and awareness and I know they don't posses nearly as much as I thought.  I WANT to know that, even though I'm disappointed by it.

I also like seeing the rise of surprising heroes, Teen Vogue being an example.   I never would have guessed that magazine would be at all politically aware.  Brava.   But it also says a lot that the Youth vote was VERY much against Trump (and Brexit too apparently).   It's an interesting statistic.

• Love 22

'The outlet asked Paladino, “What would you most like to happen in 2017?”

His response: “Obama catches mad cow disease after being caught having relations with a Herford. He dies before trial and is buried in a cow pasture next to [senior White House adviser] Valerie Jarrett, who died weeks prior, after being convicted of sedition and treason, when a Jihady cell mate mistook her being a nice person and decapitated her."

Asked "What would you like to see go in 2017?" Paladino attacked the first lady in sexual and racist terms:

“Michelle Obama. I’d like her to return to being a male and let loose in the outback of Zimbabwe where she lives comfortable in a cave with Maxie, the gorilla.”

Paladino on Friday verified to The Buffalo News that his comments were real, attacking the newspaper for inquiring about them.

“Of course I did,” he said when asked if he had uttered the remarks. "Tell them all to go f--- themselves.”'

Wow.

Frightening that he considers it only politically incorrect. 

• Love 16

Yeah, wishing people dead kind of transcends political correctness and enters the realm of personality disorder.

Orange using children with cancer as a human shield. Classy.

It's not enough for James Dolan to make Knicks fans suffer, he has to inflict misery on the Rockettes too. Truly a shining beacon of competence and compassion.

• Love 21

Paladino on Friday verified to The Buffalo News that his comments were real, attacking the newspaper for inquiring about them.

“Of course I did,” he said when asked if he had uttered the remarks. "Tell them all to go f--- themselves.”

What comes after the part you quoted is quite telling:

“Tell that Rod Wilson I made that comment just for him,” Paladino added, referring to one of the newspaper's black columnists and editors.

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Good god. But racism is dead, right? I mean, I heard racism isn't an issue anymore, right?  Every time I feel a tiny inkling of "it's going to be ok", I wake up in the morning and no-no it's not. 

Obama is the racist.

^^I have a virulently racist cousin who spouts things like that on Facebook constantly.  Whenever I read various public posts made by such people after clicking on trending topics, I die a little bit inside.  Then I get pissed and try to be an activist in my own way.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, BBDi said:

Dr Strangelove also comes to mind, though I'm sure Twitler wouldn't get it. He's like a cross between General (admiral?) Turgidson and President Merkin Muffley. 

I'm in my late 50s and I spent a few years of my early childhood being scared of mushrooms and the guy on the Cream of Wheat box. Several years ago I pieced it together and realized that I wasn't scared of mushrooms, I was scared of mushroom clouds, and a that the chef's hat on the Cream of Wheat box resembled a mushroom cloud. (Yes, I was a neurotic child.)

I am still pissed off at the adults of that time who held our lives in their hands. It is unforgivable that children - that anyone - should live in fear like that because of their macho posturing and might is right bullshit. 

CrazylookingWomanLaughing.gif~c200.gif I'm sorry, I hope I don't offend you, but.....

• Love 2

New article in the NYT shows that Trump won a large share of liberal, white working class voters who strongly approve of Obama and wanted MORE liberal policies.

I don't know what this means but that's pretty jaw-dropping. These people are in for a rude awakening. I'm assuming these were Bernie voters who just hated Hillary that much? It's hard not read a couple of things into that, tbh- 1) misogyny is very rampant among a significant faction of the left, and 2) there is a significant faction of white liberals who really don't care about people of color.

On the other hand, it's hard to imagine these people not coming back for a candidate they simply like more, I guess. I'm worried about this misogyny factor though. I know people will always say, oh, it's just Hillary, but how do we know that? What if people are more susceptible to believing everything bad they hear about a woman, because she's a woman? I mean, yes, Hillary had to deal with this for decades and a lot of it was baggage from long ago, but I think it's much easier for this kind of vile, emotional hatred towards women to develop quickly, and of course, from other women as well.

I think a charismatic male Democrat will be fine and is probably likely to win all these people back in four years, but I wonder about the chances for ever electing a female president in my lifetime. Then again, the electoral college is the ultimate issue here still, because of course Hillary DID win the popular vote by millions and won more votes than any white man in history. But otoh...could she only get that many votes because of all the qualities like being the most qualified person EVER to run for president, something no future woman is likely to be able to boast of?

Sigh. This is a conundrum.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Conservative commentators go on liberal shows all the time and are always given protection and praise for doing it even though they know they're going to be treated well.

It doesn't work the other way, though-- if liberals go on FOX, based on what I've heard, they don't get the same protections (I might be incorrect).

• Love 3

Jesus. I just got back from the movie Jackie, and remembering how the Creature and his family are trying to pass themselves as the new Kennedys makes me violently ill. JFK might have been a womanizer but he had more class and dignity than this POS. And Melania isn't fit to walk in Jackie Kennedy's high heels, or even wipe the mud from them!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 15
23 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

That's a good question! I think what made me deem neither one as the lesser of two evils is because of the constant finger-pointing from both sides (Trump judges Clinton, Clinton judges Trump). I got tired of that ever-so-fast!

I think the entire world got tired of that finger-pointing and we were all glad the elections were over no matter who won. It was very difficult to wade through the muck and mire to get to the real point or 'almost truths'. Innuendo, outright accusations, dirty politicking on both sides but honestly the scales definitely were heavier to favor Trump as far as dirty politicking goes. He filled his supporters at his rallies with accusations that couldn't be substantiated, but that was enough for them, they just took him at his word. For some reason, there are still people that believe politicians have some honesty within them and sadly found out they really don't. But for me and many, Donald Trump stood out to represent every single thing that's reprehensible for humanity.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, backformore said:

Holy shit.  This guy needs meds.

And remember the stories about Drumpf having bots who follow him on Twitter?  5 minutes after he posted, he had over a thousand re-tweets.

Second that holy shit. Two words, I take that back four words fit him right about now: Straight Jacket and Rubber Room.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Padma said:

The "alt-left" makes no sense as a thing. The "far right" is fascism, neo-Nazis, white supremacists. They don't want to be called those things, hence, "alt-right".

The equivalent on the far left would be communists, not liberals. And the so-called liberal American "Left" would be "center" or even "center-right" in Europe.  Why would they need to be called "alt-left"? (And communists, unlike neo-Nazis, just own it because their views are pretty obvious for what they are anyway.)

The only reason to use "alt-left" in the U.S. when you really mean "liberal" or "liberal Democrat" is just to confuse your own rightwing supporters, create a false equivalence between liberals and white supremacists as opposite ends of the spectrum, and lob a gratuitous insult while you're at it. 

Yes yes yes!

I'd be happy with using "white supremacist" for these people, but I guess they prefer "alt-right" since it doesn't tell you anything about their actual beliefs.

I've started calling them the alt-white --  their racist/sexist/every ist version of being white deserves to be marginalized and rebuked and held in complete contempt. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Duke Silver said:

Carl Paladino is vile and disgusting. I'm hoping that once President Obama is free from his restraints as President that he'll open up and become more verbal against this type of hatred.

Sign the petition, Change.Org to remove this reprehensible creature from the Buffalo school board.

https://www.change.org/p/dr-barbara-seals-nevergold-president-the-immediate-removal-of-carl-paladino-from-the-buffalo-school-board?recruiter=1538637&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-custom_msg#channel=f3a2f1637bf5b8&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org

• Love 4

Holy shit.  This guy needs meds.

And remember the stories about Trump having bots who follow him on Twitter?  5 minutes after he posted, he had over a thousand re-tweets.

Yowza.  All political party leanings aside, he's deranged.  Spiffy.  We'll just rename the White House Bedlam to just get it over with already, as we await whatever terrible price we're going to have to pay for having a complete lunatic at the helm. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, Lunata said:

Carl Paladino is vile and disgusting. I'm hoping that once President Obama is free from his restraints as President that he'll open up and become more verbal against this type of hatred.

Sign the petition, Change.Org to remove this reprehensible creature from the Buffalo school board.

https://www.change.org/p/dr-barbara-seals-nevergold-president-the-immediate-removal-of-carl-paladino-from-the-buffalo-school-board?recruiter=1538637&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-custom_msg#channel=f3a2f1637bf5b8&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org

Maybe Melania will go after Palladino for bullying. 

• Love 7

I just started reading a book called Violins of Hope about the Holocaust and just ran across this in the first chapter:

"Immediately after Adolph Hitler was appointed chancellor of Germany on January 30, 1933, he and his Nazi party initiated an agenda to rid Germany of the Jewish influences that they blamed for the country's downfall."

Sound familiar?

• Love 10

This post is a keeper.

Bravo, Mulletor Hater. 

You know, when I read that this was a celebration of "freedom and democracy," I honestly thought you were referring to the Million Woman March.  Because nothing says "freedom and democracy" like (a) demonizing the media for telling the truth; (b) shutting down dissent within one's own party and elsewhere; (c) scapegoating those "other" people; (d) hate crimes, which Coral Caligula's campaign rhetoric all but encouraged and for which he has yet to take responsibility; (e) threatening to jail one's political opponent; (f) aligning one's self with known dictators while dissing American intelligence agencies; (g) creating a Muslim registry; (h) denying the press access; (i) holding Nuremberg rallies masquerading as "victory tours"; (j) setting up what could easily become a junta of disaffected generals; (k) elevating one's trifling family members with positions of power; (l) having one's transition team distribute questionnaires demanding to know people's position on climate change; and (m) filling the swamp with people who want to destroy everything they can get their greedy, grubby, grasping paws on.

And, those are just the highlights!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, film noire said:

Yes yes yes!

I've started calling them the alt-white --  their racist/sexist/every ist version of being white deserves to be marginalized and rebuked and held in complete contempt. 

Alt-white, perfect, how apt.

I will be using this if you don't mind.

36 minutes ago, BBDi said:

Maybe Melania will go after Palladino for bullying. 

2 words

Fat chance

• Love 7

So let me get this straight, the blatantly racist, misogynist with hyper-specific bestiality-themed revenge fantasies that he wants to make absolute sure are preserved forever, on the digital record, as part of his professional legacy is on a school board?  Well, that's one way to encourage people to home school.   Gadzukes.  

• Love 14

^^^ School boards is where it's at.  Seriously.  It's where the most reactionary locals go to vent their spleens.  It only makes sense that so many get elected for those seats.  There's nothing easier locally than to bitch & moan about the schools; what they're teaching, the costs, etc.

This is why I implore any even marginally politically-inclined non-crazy people to run for school board seats.  The Tea Party made a killing in the oughts by getting their crazy asses on boards across the country, and they've spring-boarded into state/national politics from there.

Edited by Duke Silver
  • Love 16

So Trump hires the "best people" (that's debatable) and pays them a lot of money.  Will he then listen to them and believe what they tell him? Hell no, Trump's ego won't allow anyone to tell him what to do because he knows more about everything than anyone else. Besides, the millionaires/billionaires he hired for his cabinet are going to kiss his big, fat orange ass and tell him exactly what he wants to hear, and what he seems to want is to provoke every other country in the world. We all may as well bend over and kiss our asses goodbye because we are royally fucked with this mad man in charge. 

• Love 13