Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E01: May The Best Generation Win

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

57 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I'm okay with the theme this year, mainly because of the Hawaiian Shirt Guy who started the fire...didn't he say something about being on a tribe with the Millennials but identifying with Gen X?  That's the kind of thing that could get interesting.

That's what first piqued my interest with him. I believe he is the oldest on his tribe? And he was already feeling left out with all the hard bodies in trendy clothes, while he looks like a grandpa playing shuffledboard in Miami. Very self aware. Great self deprecating humor. And he went and stepped out of his comfort zone and made himself an asset to his younger, hipper tribe. I  know it's early, but I've got my eye on him. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

I would say fishing gear is more valuable then chickens. The chickens will lay an egg every few days so you are splitting an egg or two among 10 people. If there is someone on your tribe who can fish you are splitting a fish or two, maybe more, and that is a good deal more food then you will get from the chicken.

I agree.  There's also no guarantee they will lay, and furthermore we've  seen enough footage on multiple seasons of people letting the chickens out and having to expend a lot of energy chasing them down.  There's also "revenge eating" the chicken when another group goes off on a food reward...I don't recall whether that has actually happened but I think it's been threatened.  You can't really revenge eat a fishing spear!

We have seen nothing that indicates how the legacy reward would be willed on, and certainly nothing that indicates it would be in public.  My speculation was that the holder will always be interviewed right before the vote just in case she is out so she can give a definitive statement based on where her mind is at that moment.  We wouldn't see the interview unless it becomes necessary.  Then the legacy would also be passed on privately.  I know this would indicate a little more of face to face production contact than they like to usually imply, but I don't see any other way for them to preserve whatever it is they intend with this advantage.  

I could well be wrong, but I don't think it is necessarily the case that it will be public.

I'd rather look at all the pus-filled boils of last season for an entire episode than have even one more glimpse of poor Debbie's eyes.  When she turned to look at someone on her left in TC and her eye looked entirely red from that angle, I actually yelled.

• Love 2

Oh, and that exchange with one of the "pretty Millennials" suggesting pocket lint for a firestarter, and then someone else suggesting hair...the one who came up with the lint was wearing a shawl with a lot of fringe!  Why not cut off that useless fringe?  Unless it was polyester, of course.  One of them has a peach dress/coverup that was fringed, too.  

• Love 3

I hate the generation thing, because they kept repeating stereotypes as if they are FACTS, and because the division is arbitrary.  Who decides the exact cut-off for a generation co-hort?   And then defining the generation by a set of personality traits, interests, political views, etc  - because we all think exactly the same as everyone born within ten years of us?  If you're 27, you think like this, but if you're 32 you think like that.  REALLY?    I relate it to the media constantly telling me that white college-educated women of a certain age who live in the suburbs are going to vote for a certain bigot to be president.  not happening!  I am not a demographic, I'm an individual.

As the parent of two young people who are in the "Millennial"  category, I didn't like that the GenX ones feel that they are so superior to younger people who have no practical skills.   Hey, my sons would have rocked building a shelter, making fire, fishing, finding food.  (Boy Scouts of America teaches a lot of survival skills to teens)  Sure, not all people in that age group have those skills, but the hell with the attitude that Millennials are all spoiled, and genX'ers are hard-workers.  

Then again - maybe the show was cast deliberately with people who fit the stereotypes?  I don't know.  I guess I find it as limiting and narrow-minded as when people ascribe certain traits to ethnic groups, religions, races, or sexual orientations. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

needchocolateI don't know what you are talking about because I would watch the HELL out of "Survivor: Carnivores v. Vegans".

I would also watch a religious battle: Believers vs. Atheists...or Faith vs. Faith No More (which would be EPIC).

• Love 12
10 hours ago, simplyme said:

I don't know yet if it's really a guy thing.

I also think any guylliance plans could be limited not only by not including Ken, but by David being scared of everything and the upcoming events mentioned in the "next week..." segment.

It's ALWAYS a guy thing.  A bro-lliance is one of the first social movements in any reality show.  And there are always a couple of guys who aren't considered bros.  That's why IMO reality show have gotten so boring lately. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, simplyme said:

Here's an article that susses out the generations and general dates for them. They're somewhat debatable:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/here-is-when-each-generation-begins-and-ends-according-to-facts/359589/

Gen X is 1965 to 1984.

Gen Y is an old term.

Millennial is 1982 to 2004.

And I'm pretty sure Probst was attempting to say that the birth years on the tribes ran from 63 to 82 for Gen X and 84 to 97 for Millennials, not that those were the defined years for the generations because they aren't. 

I love the Atlantic (it's the only magazine I still subscribe to, and has been for years) and that writer is funny, but there is a major error in there.  The "Greatest Generation" is correctly described as "the people that fought and died in World War II", but then it skips right to Boomers.  And then on the graph, "Greatest" is shown to be born from 1930-1945.  Um, okay?  I'm pretty sure American GIs weren't, on average, eight years old, LOL.  (They forgot the "Silent" generation, which is also called Artists or something because pretty much everyone who performed at Woodstock comes from it, along with the Beatles and many other luminaries.)

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 1

I wonder how much google traffic for "what's the difference between a cyclone and a hurricane" spiked last night...

As a 32yr old, I love that I get to hate on both the millennials and the Gen Xers. I feel if they *had* to do the generations thing, they'd have been better off with 3 tribes of Gen X, Gen Y, and Millennial. I know Gen Y has popularly been swallowed up between the two, but there's just no way you can convince me that people who remember dial up modems are from the same generation as people who don't. And that people who remember not having personal computers are from the same generation as people who don't. It's clearly 3 distinct groups.

Besides, asking Gen X and Millennials to hate on each other seems so forced - they both have a natural enemy in the Boomers. The guy who was the most scornful about the Millennials was the one born in 63 (AKA a Boomer).  

I did laugh when he was doing his little powwow speech when they first got to camp that the other guy shot him down for hubris... He was pointing out that while the Gen Xers worked with their hands, the Millennials worked with their brains and then immediately we got his chyron as "model." Which immediately made me think of the David Duchovney hand model in Zoolander. 

Who was the one holding up the M's from getting their stuff untied? That seemed like such a bush league sabotage move, I was surprised it was allowed. And the difference in the challenge was the team that didn't take as many shortcuts. Nyah.

Don't have a ton of thoughts on who is who yet, but a few....

I want to hate Zeke because he's just so... constructed. But he also seems like a reasonable person and resourceful. So that was nice.

Does anyone know what game the Professional Gamer plays? 

David made me want a xanax. I have anxiety issues myself, and I can't watch much more of him. 

Edited by RockShrimp
  • Love 3

The cyclone evacuation was interesting, but I didn't need Adam's talking head stressing how it's never been done on Survivor.   I did like some random voice asking, "Is that a bad thing?" when they were told about the evac.  The real survivor was that little bat in the tree.

Seriously, just hanging there sleeping through the cyclone! Whoever asked if that was a bad thing is a true moron.

They definitely chose some people for their ability to meet the generational stereotype. I could not stop laughing at the Tri-Force, and SimplyMom just kept making "Duuuur" noises throughout much of the Millenials camp footage.

I don't know any of their actual names but I'm definitely rooting for an epic takedown of "Tri-Force" just by virtue of the stupid name and the over-the-top declarations of bro love. Somewhere a frat party kegger is missing 3 stupid people. 

Apparently the editing monkeys didn't think it was important to show us how CeCe ended up alienated, unless that was a case of "she appears to be closest to Rachel and we decided to reassure Dave by not voting for him."

Yeah, that one conversation between them about being a bit out of the loop is the only evidence of a relationship between them but I'm assuming that was why CeCe (CiCi?) drew fire. Interesting that they voted along gender lines, all the Rachel votes were men and CeCe votes were women. 

I agree we should have at least gotten a glimpse of them raiding the vending machines at the hotel and playing charades or something like that at their cyclone safe spot. I'm really interested in what that was like. Were they allowed to shower and/or parade about in big fluffy robes? How much vodka were they allowed to take from the minibar? So many questions.

I wanted to see where they went for the evacuation too. Granted, they'd only been out there one night, but it was clearly a miserable one, must have been nice to get out of there for a bit. 

Leaving the chickens for fishing gear?  Bad choice. Why are chickens short term, Probst, they can lay eggs through the whole thing.

Yeah, but how many eggs are 3 chickens really going to provide over the long haul? For 10 people, the eggs probably aren't going to be enough. 

On the other hand, do we really think any of those millennials could/would really do any fishing? So the gear might have been a waste anyway. I'm not sure I can imagine any of them being able to kill a chicken either, so hopefully those chickens do get busy laying eggs.

The tribe divides this year are nothing we haven't seen before.  Tagi and Pagong from season 1 were the original GenX and Millennial tribes before millennial was even a word.  We saw tribal divides within tribes during Africa (Sambrats vs Samburu Elders).  Even during WA, there was the divide on the BC about the shelter building and camp chores.  Nice try show.

I disagree. Yes, Tagi did skew older but Pagong had older people too, plus some extremely competent people like Gretchen. 

I actually thought the tribe divide was significant in that all of the millenials seemed like the type to need some sort of authority to rebel against...yet would probably allow/expect those same authorities to do all of the grunt work that they didn't want to do. 

I think they take for granted that SOMEONE is working to keep the world going 'round while they play video games and do "whatever they want" so to be separated from those worker bees might be a good wake up call for them if they fail miserably at surviving. 

Granted, I don't think this will happen, but that would be a good outcome. 

• Love 7

As a gen X (1973) mom of 3 millennials (1997 and twins-1999) I am liking the theme a little bit. Watching with my kids is fun (we argue with each other and root for our peeps). Yes, there are some similarities (we were thought of as lazy and spoiled when younger too) but there ARE differences between the generations. Not everyone can be labeled by their generation, I get that, but it does seem that with each new generation folks remain dependent kids longer and harder than the previous generation. We were grown by around 21 but now 26 year olds are still called kids. At 23, I was graduated from college, working, married with a baby on the way and a house bought at 24. My nephew is 23 and has not graduated college yet, is in an apartment his parents pay for with furniture they bought and a car they bought. I think I was an outlier though as most of my friends were not married with kids until 30s but at 23 they were graduated, working and providing their own housing and car.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, marys1000 said:

Somewhat shamefully pasting this from another bulletin board. I am typing in this tiny tiny little box and my paragraphs don't work so if the paste is all dorked up sorry. So I was curious and did some calculations. It looks like the cutoff between Millennials and Gen-X (on this season of Survivor) is 32-years-old. The oldest Millennial is 31 and the youngest Gen-Xer is 33. So it got me thinking, who is most likely to win based simply on past performance of generations? We've had 32 winners (counting Sandra twice because she obviously aged between Season 7 and Season 20). Of 32 winners: 46.9% (15 of them) were in their 20s. 43.8% (14 of them) were in their 30s. 6.3% (2 of them) were in their 40s. and 3.1% (1 of them) were in their 50s. That means that 53.1% of winners have been 30-years-old or older. However, if we divide the number of winners between those younger than 32-years-old (Millennials) and those older than 32-years-old (Gen-X), and this works because there has never been a 32-year-old winner, then 53.1% of winners have been Millennials while 46.9% have been Gen-X. Lately, though, 5 of the last 8 seasons have been won by someone that would be on the Gen-X tribe. I'd be very interested to see how this stacks up to the average ages of contestants. If 46.9% of winners are in their 20s, are around 46-47% of all contestants in their 20s? I didn't have time to go through and get the ages of almost 800 contestants plus the 80 or so that have returned once or twice or three times. Interesting tidbits: Bob Crowley (Gabon) is the oldest winner at 57-years-old. The next oldest is Denise Shapley at 41. Bob also won during a streak of young winners with the two seasons before and two seasons after all being won by people 26-years-old or younger. Jud "Fabio" Birza (Nicaragua) is the youngest winner at 21-years-old, 4-months younger than Amazon winner Jenna Morasca.

This is a very interesting analysis, and supports the idea that this theme is testing "life stages" moreso than actual generations. Ethan may have been 27 when he won (same age as the Millennials), but he would technically be Gen-X. Even "youngest female winner ever" Jenna was born in '82 or '83, right? Would anybody consider her a Gen-Xer?

I am fine with the theme's attempt to drum up hype and make some sort of statement, and like KimberStormer says, the annoying commentary and stereotypes will eventually give way to something actually interesting and overlooked: that themes actually CAN impact gameplay depending on how strongly the players buy into it. See: Sandra's brilliant manipulation of the idea of a "Hero" to gain jury votes. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Superpole2000 said:

I would also watch a religious battle: Believers vs. Atheists...or Faith vs. Faith No More (which would be EPIC).

I might watch Survivor Belly Buttons: Innies vs. Outies.

• Love 7

14 hours ago, Maya said: 

I can't believe they can all keep saying "Figgy" with a straight face. 

I know, right? She's my least favorite player. There's something disingenuous about her, and I think "Piggy" is going to become much more arrogant as time progresses. When she said she's more than just a pretty face, I had a rather severe GERD attack. She's average looking at best, and she's not accomplished either. She's a bartender, big whoop! Her hubris is such a turn off.

Wow -- I haven't had such a negative response to a contestant in a long time!  My current favorites are Mari & Zeke.

Edited by Dominii
  • Love 4

Jeff clarifies how the legacy advantage is going to work here:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/22/survivor-jeff-probst-premiere-millennials-gen-x-cyclone

Yes, it will be in the game in the final episode. If the holder of the advantage is voted out, they will the advantage to another player in private AFTER Tribal Council. You would then see in their confessional who they willed it to, but nobody else would have any idea. Then it would show up in that person’s personal bag. 

So, if the recipient didn’t even know the advantage existed, they would be shocked to discover it. And if the new recipient is then voted out, they follow the same procedure, willing it to someone else. Then on day 36, whoever is in possession of the advantage can open it to see what power it has for them. So, it could end up being willed to several people or none at all! 

Overall, I thought it was a decent first episode, with a few people that I have a feeling I'm going to end up not liking very much and others who show potential.  

As for the generations, what I'm seeing these days is that most people currently between about 18 and their early 30's are referred to as Millennials, while the kids who are still in high school or middle school are increasingly being categorized as another generation ("post-millennials", "Gen Z", etc.).  While there may not yet be a consensus as the exact cut-off date, I suspect anybody born after 2000 is going to clearly end up in this new generation. 

I personally fall somewhere on the border or gap between boomers and Gen X and never felt like I really fit in with any stereotypes for either one.  Perhaps because of this, I find that generational stereotypes tend to be greatly exaggerated.  As someone posted above, more a function of stages of life than anything else. 

Not that there aren't some differences.  After all, compared to my generation, the supposedly irresponsible Millennials also happen to have been much less likely to get pregnant while in their teens or commit a crime.  They are also certainly a lot more tolerant and accepting of diversity.  The fact that they are also more likely to still be dependent on their parents well into their 20's (as noted by Lamima above) may be more a function of there being simply much less opportunities for younger people to become financially independent than there were in the past.  Between the need to rack up huge amounts of college debt just to get a degree that is functionally equivalent to a high school diploma in my time and the prevalence of low paying service sector jobs, its simply much tougher for younger people these days.  I certainly see that with my kids.

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, viajero said:

Not that there aren't some differences.  After all, compared to my generation, the supposedly irresponsible Millennials also happen to have been much less likely to get pregnant while in their teens or commit a crime.  They are also certainly a lot more tolerant and accepting of diversity.  The fact that they are also more likely to still be dependent on their parents well into their 20's (as noted by Lamima above) may be more a function of there being simply much less opportunities for younger people to become financially independent than there were in the past.  Between the need to rack up huge amounts of college debt just to get a degree that is functionally equivalent to a high school diploma in my time and the prevalence of low paying service sector jobs, its simply much tougher for younger people these days.  I certainly see that with my kids.

I agree with this.  The millennials I know are very accepting of diversity, and very responsible.  They might choose to live with parents, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily spoiled or coddled by parents.  there's more of a tendency to travel, not to get tied down to a house, mortgage, children, right away.  Yes, my kids didn't move out until their mid 20's.  But they were very independent as far as taking care of themselves, so it was more like having adult room-mates, I certainly didn't feel I was still raising them.  Also, families are smaller now.  It's a lot easier to move back home after college when you come from a sibship of two, as opposed to 5 or 6. 

I certainly know Millennials who are more in line with the spoiled, tech-obsessed child stereotype, but I also know some 40 year olds who would fit that. 

For the most part, it truly is more about stage of Life than generation.  Earlier generations were pushed to marry, work, raise kids, buy a house, before age 30.   If you put those things off, or decide not to do them, you have an extra decade to explore the world and have fun.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Capture.JPG

Not surprising to me, because AFAIK they are not allowed to talk to each other when cameras are not there (e.g. going to and from tribal and challenges).  For the very good reason that the producers don't want game-changing conversations that they can't get on film, leading to a game we the audience can't understand.  (Supposedly this happened in Australia and they learned their lesson.)

On the chickens vs fishing gear decision, I would take the chickens every time.  Zero question in my mind.  Fishing is hard, very few people have done it successfully, and it leaves you out of tribal discussions when you go out in the water to try (and probably fail).  No matter how good at it you might be there have often been beaches where there's just no fish to catch.  Chickens are guaranteed, even if you don't get eggs.  Frankly I think Probst did Gen-X a disservice here by strongly implying they were supposed to take fishing gear because that's what long-view hard-working sincere Generation X icons have always done.

• Love 6

Half these posts are lost on me because I only learned a couple of names.

"Zeke" is one.  I love him!  Most of my laughs during this show come from snark at the level of stupidity, but this guy's pretty funny, legit.  "My outdoor skill is riding the subway."  "I dress for a retirement community in Miami."

Also, I relate to how he identifies with people who are older.  Me, too--always have.  Once I told my roommate we should take the "Real Age" quiz.  He said:  No need, honey.  We're both about 80.  (We were 42.)

I fret that one day there won't BE a generation older than I am and I'll be forced to get along with weaksauce my own age.

It was commendable how kind people were to Mr. "Born Afraid of Death."  He needs that printed on a t-shirt.  Maybe on a kevlar vest.

I'm know this is horrible, but I think there was an argument to be made for voting off Ms. Highly Contagious Bacterial Eye Infection.  And then burning everything she'd touched.

The notion of self-preservation--it's right there in the title.

Edited by candall
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, candall said:

I'm know this is horrible, but I think there was an argument to be made for voting off Ms. Highly Contagious Bacterial Eye Infection.  And then burning everything she'd touched.

That was hard to look at, and she must've been miserable.  I don't know how medical works on Survivor for things like that, but hoping she got some eyedrops STAT to prevent spreading it to everyone else.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, backformore said:

I agree with this.  The millennials I know are very accepting of diversity, and very responsible.  They might choose to live with parents, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily spoiled or coddled by parents.  there's more of a tendency to travel, not to get tied down to a house, mortgage, children, right away.  Yes, my kids didn't move out until their mid 20's.  But they were very independent as far as taking care of themselves, so it was more like having adult room-mates, I certainly didn't feel I was still raising them.  Also, families are smaller now.  It's a lot easier to move back home after college when you come from a sibship of two, as opposed to 5 or 6.

My son certainly fits this description.  He's 23 and though he splits his time between his mother's house and mine (mostly out of convenience depending on his class and work schedules), he is quite independent and really has become increasingly more like an adult room-mate.  What I also find interesting is that though he is white and straight, his broader group of friends includes people of quite diverse ethnic backgrounds and sexualities. They don't seem to think there is anything at all unusual about this, but it certainly wasn't that common when I was his age. 

As for not being in any hurry to settle down, part of it is simply that he needs several more years of schooling to even aspire to the kind of job that would allow him to even think about taking on a mortgage, something I could have done straight out of college.  Though most of his friends are in committed long-term relationships, as far as I can tell the only ones who seem to be even thinking about marriage anytime soon are this one lesbian couple (perhaps in part because they are both teachers and will soon be ready to settle down and start their careers).  In fact, most of his friends still live (or have moved back in) with their parents, with the exception of a couple of them who grew up elsewhere and are going to school here.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

I laughed at all of the, "S/he is so good looking!" comments. That Tri-force group looked especially dirty to me. They were young, yes, but I can probably name a hundred of past Survivors better looking than all of them.

Yes, particularly the girl who kept saying, "I'm not just a pretty face," while her face and hair were so covered in dirt and sweat, all you could see was Mole.  Of that group, I did  actually like Michelle, missionary recruiter.  She seemed to have a nice voice and pleasant personality and she definitely doesn't seem to be thumping those Bibles, whatever else she may be doing with them.  Recruiting people to translate them?  What now?

Of the Younguns, I also liked Zeke because anyone who even faintly reminds me of Jack Black in "Bernie," gets a little love.

I liked all the Geezers except Rachael, probably because I don't know them yet.  Oh wait!  I didn't like the way Ken, the model, jumped on old Paul's pep rally about old folks having grit, or something. What Ken said about every age having good qualities was totally true, but it just wasn't the moment.

• Love 3

I am so giddy that there is another One World-style alliance of people who fancy themselves cool and attractive, but who can't count to five. It's not clear to me how much Michelle is actually invested in that alliance compared to Taylor, Jay, and FIggy, but those three, at least, have unnecessarily hosed their own games and for whatever reason, I'm a sucker for watching that sort of thing play out.

My early picks for potential winners are Mari, Chris, and Jessica (assuming she's getting some treatment for her eyes). I think David will get a storyline about overcoming his fears of the great outdoors and forming unlikely friendships, but will get booted late in the game. Now that he's survived the first vote, I think he'll stick around a a solid number for whatever alliance decides to pick him up. Based on the votes, it sure seems like the Gen X men have formed an alliance. I wish we had gotten an explanation for the women's votes.

6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I liked the shortcuts with consequences in the challenge. It reminded me of when they could pick from the three different types of puzzles in that one season. I hope that unlike that time they keep having that twist in challenges and don't just drop it.

Same here. I suspect that the shortcuts were a way to keep the Gen X tribe competitive in physical portion of the challenge without having to bring back the awful Medallion of Power from Nicaragua. That said, I liked that the tribes were given an added level of strategy to decide on in this challenge, just like I liked it when they had to make the decision about which puzzle they were going to solve in World's Apart. I, too, hope that they stick with it through the tribal portion of the season.

Given how often they have to recycle challenges, I think choices could be a great way to keep them from feeling stale. Plus, as we've discussed on these boards before, these "run around and then do a puzzle" challenges favor the tribe with the best overall abilities. Adding choices potentially allows tribes to reweight a challenge toward their own strengths, which could make them far more interesting, since not only are we wondering what each tribe will decide are its strengths, but whether a tribe will be stronger at what they chose than the other tribe is at whatever they chose. In this instance, the Gen Xers' puzzle-solving ability wasn't as strong as the combined physical and puzzle-solving skills of the Millennials.

4 hours ago, RockShrimp said:

And the difference in the challenge was the team that didn't take as many shortcuts. Nyah.

I liked that, too. I can imagine the comments we would have been treated to if the Millennials had been the ones to use both short-cuts: "Typical Millennials—always taking the easy way out. Gen Xers face challenges head on." I'm fully expecting a tribal swap (maybe adding a third tribe again) in the third or fourth episode and am looking forward to in part because it will kill this stupid gimmick.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ennui said:

I wouldn't brag about being paid to play video games for a living. 

I watch for the locations. Fiji!  

It's a good job.  Some YouTube games make millions of dollars a year.  Mari doesn't run her own channel, but she does work for Smosh, which are one of the biggest names in YouTube.

4 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

Figgy... what an ugly name :))

I think her last name is Figueroa.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Negritude said:

What's all this talk about Gen X being "hard workers" who "don't quit?" I thought we (born in '79 here) were slackers lol. Haven't these people seen "Reality Bites" or..."Slacker?". Ugh, bring on the merge, it's gonna be a long one. 

Speaking as a Boomer (not the greatest generation, but a pretty damn good one), my jaw was dropping at that.  Slackers with tattoos, that's GenX.

I never sign up for nicknames, but I dub the teams the Xs and the Ohs.

Dave is no Cirie.  She may have been afraid of leaves, but she didn't lose her cool over it.  Who is the hunky Xer?  Dark hair, blue shorts, not Dave?

• Love 5

I know David is annoying, but I always have a soft spot for awkward people who don't fit in.

I'm typically afraid of bats, but what a sweet face that little guy had.  I guess it's just the leathery wings that freak me out.

I'm hoping that the Millennials won't win everything physical due to the age advantage.  They don't seem overly fit, but they also lack overweight players.  Gen X had the one guy who was out of breath for a long time after reaching camp.

• Love 2

They already did this though. It was called the "no collar" tribe.

OH . . . you're right. For once I'd like to see them go old-school and have no tribal switch-up until one tribe has been completely decimated. Let one entire tribe be U-longed out of there.

• Love 1

Well, I'm a Gen X.  And so I don't have time or patience for constant, fucking generational over-generalizations from a bunch of famewhores who realize the key to confessional-screentime is to preface every statement with "Well I'm a Gen X [or Millennial]"

• Love 2
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Oh wait!  I didn't like the way Ken, the model, jumped on old Paul's pep rally about old folks having grit, or something. What Ken said about every age having good qualities was totally true, but it just wasn't the moment.

I think this just goes to show how different people hear things differently. :) I actually kind of liked what Ken said. He said not to underestimate the Millennials, which I thought was an okay thing to say at that point since it was kind of starting to turn into a Millennial-bashing party, not just a Gen X morale-builder, imo.

9 hours ago, Oholibamah said:

Even "youngest female winner ever" Jenna was born in '82 or '83, right? Would anybody consider her a Gen-Xer?

I'd let her choose whatever she wants to identify as... or not. Generations are mostly hype, but the border years between Gen X and Millennials are sometimes called the Oregon Trail generation or years. @RockShrimp, this might be the Gen Y you are referring to.  It's the kids that grew up with pcs, but not really part of Millennials.  (It seems like academic people have used Gen Y for a huge range of years and odd things, so I quit using it, but that's just me.)

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

needchocolateI don't know what you are talking about because I would watch the HELL out of "Survivor: Carnivores v. Vegans".

The biggest problem I could see with Survivor: Carnivores v. Vegans is that if food ran really low, we know which original tribe the winner would be from.

*ducks and runs* Ahem. Sorry.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I thought it said Vanilla, too. I wish there weren't pictures of icky toenails at the bottom of this page (ad).

OMG! I could have sworn it said Vanilla. Are you sure it didn't? My eyes must be going. Not only did I think the flag said Vanilla but I was also saying out loud, "Why would they call a tribe Vanilla and what does it mean in Fiji?" LOL!!!!

• Love 2

I love the flying foxes! You notice THEY don't need to be evacuated from a cyclone.  Just snuggled up inside their own wings.  Adorable.  Wish one of them could win the million.  Or the flying fish.  Or the manta ray.  In fact I kind of love the falling tree for giving the big FU to careful Gen-X preparation.  Not that I didn't enjoy watching  the millennial grasshoppers get their ass kicked in their sorry shelter, but  it was just as satisfying to see the smug Gen-X ants discover that the best laid plans of mice and men aft gang aglay.

Just my way of saying I'm stoked Survivor is back on! and it's too early for me to remember or care who's who among the humans!

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, simplyme said:

Here's an article that susses out the generations and general dates for them. They're somewhat debatable:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/here-is-when-each-generation-begins-and-ends-according-to-facts/359589/

Gen X is 1965 to 1984.

Gen Y is an old term.

Millennial is 1982 to 2004.

...and everybody born between 1982 and 1984 is confused as fuck.  :)

Just an aside note: I'm not sure if Jessica Figueroa self-claimed the "Figgy" nickname, or if Production hung it on her - but if I'm not mistaken, that one died before it started.  I'm pretty sure several of her tribemates were already calling her "Figs".

• Love 4

I found this to be one of the most boring Survivor premieres ever.  Definitely didn't need to be an hour and a half.  Watching people talk about the storm... not interesting.  Watching people look at their stuff after the storm... not interesting.  

I much prefer the Gen X tribe, except for Large Shirtless Man who can't count.  Not sure why he dictated who could be in or out of his 6.   Homeless Shelter Guy on the other tribe is very irritating, he narrates everything in his Announcer Voice.

I hate that instead of voting out Neurotic Bald Guy, who was truly useless, devious, paranoid and scared of everything, they chose to vote out Larger Black Lady (for no apparent reason) or Asian Woman who said she was good at puzzles.  At least she stepped up.  And why did all the blame fall on her and not Neurotic Bald Guy?

Why wasn't there a scene of Neurotic Bald Guy asking Tight Blue Underpants what was in his left hand?  I found myself desperately wanting to know what was in Tight Blue Underpants' left hand.  Was it a rock?  A piece of wood?   I'm assuming it wasn't an idol.  

• Love 2
On 9/21/2016 at 10:00 PM, mojoween said:

Millennials had FEWER pieces, Jeff.  Not less.

Oh man, don't get me started! Every season, it pains me to resist pointing out in the Project Runway thread that the "midrift" is not a part of the body, and I've given up on the hope that "it's" will cease being used as a possessive. The worst by far, though, was the captioning during pan-phobic dude's Captain Obvious idol search in which someone said "we'll have to reign him in." Does someone get paid for this?

16 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I think my favorite part of the challenge, though, was when the one guy (I am not set on all the names yet. Chris?) blocked the millennials from getting the last of their clubs until all of his team was on the mat. THAT was smart. Keep that guy around. 

Loved when that guy used his meaty Gen X body to club block! (Said as a fellow Gen Xer.) Effectively physical but not douchey.

13 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

I see what you did there.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Oh man, don't get me started! Every season, it pains me to resist pointing out in the Project Runway thread that the "midrift" is not a part of the body, and I've given up on the hope that "it's" will cease being used as a possessive. The worst by far, though, was the captioning during pan-phobic dude's Captain Obvious idol search in which someone said "we'll have to reign him in." Does someone get paid for this?

Not enough, apparently.  :P

55 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

I was assuming it was just that he had his buff around his left wrist but Detective Dan was on a 'someone's hiding something but not from ME' kick and decided that he had the idol. Such is idol chatter.

<rimshot>

Ouch.

:)

• Love 3
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was wondering why he didn't sign up for Big Brother instead.

The insects, contagions and fellow contestants you'd encounter in the BB House are much scarier than those on the island.   

• Love 6
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Homeless Shelter Guy on the other tribe is very irritating, he narrates everything in his Announcer Voice.

Wasn't he also the one who, when Jeff asked his name and repeated it (Adam, I think) - Adam responded with, "Probst!"  Adam fancies himself an insider, someone who is way more comfortable in the game than he should be.  When they were evacuated, he was saying/yelling: "We've never seen this before!  We've never had an evacuation!"  Like he was a member of production or something.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't know any of their actual names but I'm definitely rooting for an epic takedown of "Tri-Force" just by virtue of the stupid name and the over-the-top declarations of bro love. Somewhere a frat party kegger is missing 3 stupid people. 

When they named themselves "Tri-Force", all I could think was -- old enough to be fans of Power Rangers, I guess. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, illini1959 said:

I guess we're going to have to watch everyone in their underwear again.

:/

Several of the Gen X guys had really gross, odd looking nipples, I wouldn't mind if they'd put their shirts back on once in awhile. 

I did laugh at the fact that they were all initially walking around still fully dressed...except Model guy, who was in his underwear practically the minute they hit the beach. 

• Love 4