Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E01: May The Best Generation Win

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

If that pretty-bro millennial could stop picking his teeth with a bamboo stick as Jeff announced the evacuation, it would be great.

My son, the millennial, instantly recognized the YouTube Smosh girl. Me, not so much.

Whenever an older person brings up the f-ed up "everyone gets a trophy" mentality, it makes me think....."aren't  we, the Gen-Xers, guilty of giving the trophies out for participation? Another example, we complain that kids nowadays are disrespectful and lazy. Well, aren't WE the ones raising these miscreants?

Truth.  And giving 8 year old's cell phones, laptops, TV's in their bedroom.....  And buying your child designer clothes and shoes because God forbid they have to wear an outfit from Walmart. And making the kid's bed because they "forgot" for the 7th time this week.  And picking up their wet towels or dirty clothes because "they were running late for the bus."  And "helping" the kids with their homework, geography projects, science experiments (aka: doing it yourself) because we didn't want them to get a bad grade in the class, else it may just hurt their feelings.  And buying your other child a toy when it's their brother/sister's birthday because you didn't want them to feel left out/unloved/abandoned (aka:  to hate you).  And arguing with your child's teacher or school principle because little "Timmy" or "Suzy" couldn't possibly be guilty of what that other kid accused them of.  And making multiple meals at dinner time because 'this one' doesn't like chili and 'that one' doesn't like chicken and 'those two over there' don't eat anything with a face.  And so on and so on and so forth.

If today's youth act lazy and entitled it's because yesterday's youth made them that way.

Edited by La Traviata
  • Love 12
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 10:12 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I hate the ad with the two lions standing over the little injured fox. 

That one has a happy ending. One of the lions protects the fox from the other lion and the fox runs away.

• Love 1
On 9/23/2016 at 1:56 PM, JennPear said:

Yeah, the fratboy reference sort of nauseated me, too.  And yes, in the boomer generation, it was hippies, not slackers.  Except that I would say that the Millennials are a bit more in tune with technology than we were, so I question if they slack as much as we did.  In any regard, I don't miss the selfishness of our hippie generation.  We cared about causes, but when it came to family we were disgusting.

What do you mean about family?  Do you mean about the family Boomers grew up in, or the ones they started?  And disgusting how?  Just curious.

On 9/23/2016 at 3:20 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't know why they bother with these dumb tribe names instead of just calling them Tribe Gen-X and Tribe Millennial. Even Jeff is calling them GenX and Millennial, not whatever dumb name is written on their camp sign.

And which one of the brainiacs on Tribe Millennial listed one of his life achievements as having "gone to North Dakota?"

The North Dakota comment made a lot more sense to me, because I went to the Fargo Visitors Center this summer.  A lot of travellers try to visit all fifty states, and ND is often last.  So they have made lemonade out of this: if someone comes to the visitors' center having now completed this "bucket list" challenge with ND, they get their picture taken with some free swag: a certificate and T-shirt saying "I Saved the Best For Last".  There's a short (less than two min.) WSJ video explaining it here.  (My teenaged son's favorite part, as a big Coen brothers fan, was the wood chipper.)

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 3:20 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't know why they bother with these dumb tribe names instead of just calling them Tribe Gen-X and Tribe Millennial. Even Jeff is calling them GenX and Millennial, not whatever dumb name is written on their camp sign.

And which one of the brainiacs on Tribe Millennial listed one of his life achievements as having "gone to North Dakota?"

Maybe went there to work in the oil boom.

On 9/22/2016 at 10:36 AM, marys1000 said:

Last - at 8:53 in the show when the three beauties were on the beach did anyone else notice the two perfectly cut and tied bamboo rafts that would be perfect for a shelter floor? I'm thinking they are shown struggling then its like magic, they have a sturdy shelter floor. Getting more help than a tarp.

I noticed that too and thought hmmmm-looks like there was some help going on.

• Love 1
  On September 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Archery said:

When they named themselves "Tri-Force", all I could think was -- old enough to be fans of Power Rangers, I guess. 

Really?  My thoughts went immediately to Legend of Zelda - but hey, maybe that's just me.  ;)

Yes Triforce is Zelda reference.

• Love 2
On 9/24/2016 at 5:14 PM, Blissfool said:

Whenever an older person brings up the f-ed up "everyone gets a trophy" mentality, it makes me think....."aren't  we, the Gen-Xers, guilty of giving the trophies out for participation? Another example, we complain that kids nowadays are disrespectful and lazy. Well, aren't WE the ones raising these miscreants?

I was screaming this very sentiment at my tv.

On 9/24/2016 at 5:46 PM, La Traviata said:

Truth.  And giving 8 year old's cell phones, laptops, TV's in their bedroom.....  And buying your child designer clothes and shoes because God forbid they have to wear an outfit from Walmart. And making the kid's bed because they "forgot" for the 7th time this week.  And picking up their wet towels or dirty clothes because "they were running late for the bus."  And "helping" the kids with their homework, geography projects, science experiments (aka: doing it yourself) because we didn't want them to get a bad grade in the class, else it may just hurt their feelings.  And buying your other child a toy when it's their brother/sister's birthday because you didn't want them to feel left out/unloved/abandoned (aka:  to hate you).  And arguing with your child's teacher or school principle because little "Timmy" or "Suzy" couldn't possibly be guilty of what that other kid accused them of.  And making multiple meals at dinner time because 'this one' doesn't like chili and 'that one' doesn't like chicken and 'those two over there' don't eat anything with a face.  And so on and so on and so forth.

If today's youth act lazy and entitled it's because yesterday's youth made them that way.

OMG.  All those references drive me crazy.  I am glad I don't know anyone like that.

19 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

What do you mean about family?  Do you mean about the family Boomers grew up in, or the ones they started?  And disgusting how?  Just curious.

My parents were both born of immigrants and lived in the projects.  We were born in 1961/1962/1967.  Our grandmother was an activist for civil rights and labor rights.  My brother and I spent a few hours in police stations when she was arrested more then once.  Police were very nice to us, by the way.  Our parents were hardworking middle class people.  They were proud to own a home.  My father's cousin was a hippie but not successful at it.  I asked why she kept dropping out and then came back in.  He said many hippies could afford to be hippies because their rich parents bank rolled them.  His cousin was very jealous of this fact.  I remember asking my mom if she went to Woodstock.  She laughed and asked me if I saw her go, then explained she had to raise kids, clean house and take in typing on the side.  We now know that many children who grew up in the hippy culture were neglected and abused with a clear lack of education.

I think people that give kids everything and want special things for them grew up the same way and their kids will raise their kids the same way.  Look at Donald Trump, he is 70 and had a type of youth mentioned in the quote above.  I think Trump is scary with his egotistic attitude but I think DT Jr. is way scarier and has years to cultivate this white's only atmosphere.

19 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

(My teenaged son's favorite part, as a big Coen brothers fan, was the wood chipper.)

Ah a movie that crosses all age groups.  I am now going to ND just for the wood chipper.

I did find it funny that the millennials had no shelter.

The weird guy with all the anxiety - he will either crash and burn right away or weasel his way to the end.

Who is CeCe and why did she get so many votes?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

A lot of travellers try to visit all fifty states, and ND is often last.  So they have made lemonade out of this: if someone comes to the visitors' center having now completed this "bucket list" challenge with ND, they get their picture taken with some free swag: a certificate and T-shirt saying "I Saved the Best For Last".  

We did, and it was.  But we didn't get a t-shirt!!!  We stopped at the state line and took a selfie with a "Journey to 50" sign in front of the "Welcome to North Dakota" highway sign.  It was full of bullet holes, so we didn't stay long.

Double fun - we hit our 50th state a few days after our 50th wedding anniversary!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

It was full of bullet holes, so we didn't stay long.

Hey, not to get too far off topic, but it's not like North Dakota is the only state where morons shoot traffic signs full of bullets.  My dad's from there so I feel a little protective about good old ND.  Although I'm not happy about the proposed pipeline (end of political stuff).

• Love 1

There are Gen Xers on this show born in 82?  Is that right?  I always thought I was a Millennial!  I know that 81 is usually used as the borderline age but 82?  Damn.  I've never related to being a Gen X before..... but I was really was hardcore into grunge.  I'd rather be the oldest Millennial than the youngest Gen X obviously because it makes me feel younger.  Ha!

And am I crazy, or isn't it Generation X generally people born in the late 60's through the 70's, then Generation Y is the 80's to mid'90's, while Millennials are 1995-on?  I swear I read somewhere that the internet's explosion into mainstream use (which happened in roughly 1995) was used the cutoff point between Gen-Y and the Millennial generation, since it went Gen-X grew up without an internet, Millennials have always had the internet and Gen-Y had both?

Generation Y and Millennials are the same thing.  I've usually read 1981 as the cutoff point.  

Wikipedia:  Since then, the company has sometimes used 1982 as the starting birth year.[5] According to Horovitz, in 2012, Ad Age "threw in the towel by conceding that Millennials is a better name than Gen Y",[1] 

1995 birth year and on is already the next generation:  Generation Z.  There's a loooooot of Generation Zs around already ;)

Like always I pay a lot of attention to the racial makeup of the cast.  Only 2 black contestants, is that right?  Yet surprisingly a lot of Asians (I'm Asian) for Survivor this round.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

My kids are Millenials. They were all raised the same, same tv shows, same chores, same schools, same rules, responsibilities, expectations, etc.  But they are so different. 

Oldest hard worker- pleaser  but independent  

second- slacker

third- responsible, organized, dependable, my go to guy. 

Youngest- total goofball. Not a care in the world. Homework?  Wha-what??

so....what I want to watch is birth order tribes. Put all Firstborns in a tribe vs Middles and Babies. That I would watch. 

And an Only tribe! Still would end up as only three tribes because all Firstborns would kill each other by 3rd night. 

Edited by Pixiebomb
Because -yes. Ms Blue Jay is right. I forgot Only.
  • Love 18

Pixiebomb, as someone who was an only, then an oldest, then finally a middle, I would love, love, love to watch your idea!  :)

But you can't have all firstborns together competing against the middle/babies I don't think.  They are notoriously higher achievers and much more conscientious :)   You're forgetting only, which I assume is the majority of babies in developed countries these days.  Huge population.  I'm thinking bigger families will or already are eventually dying out, what with the birth rate being so extremely low in developed nations.  Maybe 4 tribes like Season 13: Cook Islands would do the trick.  Only/middle/baby/oldest.

Also, if you really did manage to raise 4 kids with the "same rules and expectations", wow.  I've never heard of that happening!  I would assume that the major reason for people of different birth orders being different people is the difference of rules and expectations set upon them by the exact same set of parents.  Gender of the children and parent would inform that too, I'm sure, also the parents' cultural backgrounds, etc. but I assume the order affects a lot of the differences in raising children.

I think it's okay to talk about generational differences. I think it's extremely interesting.  It's not just technology that decides a generation but so many other factors like 9/11 for North America, etc.  My first or second day of college was 9/11.   That's one of the reasons I'm an old Millennial.  Conversations about differences in groups can have nuance.  Doesn't have to be so black and white.  I think it's an interesting experiment.  

When I first heard about Cook Islands (I wasn't a fan back then) it SOUNDED offensive.  But years later when I watched the show it is one of the best seasons, I think.  It was fascinating.  I don't have high hopes for this season but I'm willing to stick it out.  Just wish it was as racially diverse as the show could be 10 whole years ago.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, Pixiebomb said:

so....what I want to watch is birth order tribes. Put all Firstborns in a tribe vs Middles and Babies. That I would watch.

I would totally watch that! 

ETA:  Who am I kidding, I'd watch any Survivor. :D

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Special K
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Pixiebomb, as someone who was an only, then an oldest, then finally a middle, I would love, love, love to watch your idea!  :)

But you can't have all firstborns together competing against the middle/babies I don't think.  They are notoriously higher achievers and much more conscientious :)   You're forgetting only, which I assume is the majority of babies in developed countries these days.  Huge population.  I'm thinking bigger families will or already are eventually dying out, what with the birth rate being so extremely low in developed nations.  Maybe 4 tribes like Season 13: Cook Islands would do the trick.  Only/middle/baby/oldest.

Also, if you really did manage to raise 4 kids with the "same rules and expectations", wow.  I've never heard of that happening!  I would assume that the major reason for people of different birth orders being different people is the difference of rules and expectations set upon them by the exact same set of parents.  Gender of the children and parent would inform that too, I'm sure, also the parents' cultural backgrounds, etc. but I assume the order affects a lot of the differences in raising children.

I think it's okay to talk about generational differences. I think it's extremely interesting.  It's not just technology that decides a generation but so many other factors like 9/11 for North America, etc.  My first or second day of college was 9/11.   That's one of the reasons I'm an old Millennial.  Conversations about differences in groups can have nuance.  Doesn't have to be so black and white.  I think it's an interesting experiment.  

When I first heard about Cook Islands (I wasn't a fan back then) it SOUNDED offensive.  But years later when I watched the show it is one of the best seasons, I think.  It was fascinating.  I don't have high hopes for this season but I'm willing to stick it out.  Just wish it was as racially diverse as the show could be 10 whole years ago.

I agree that the firstborns would probably excel during the tribal phase,  but I would argue that my fellow Middlers would clean up post merge. We're used to pleasing everybody and keeping both oldest and youngest in line. 

Love the idea and think it would work better as an "experiment" than Generations!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

Oldest hard worker- pleaser  but independent  

second- slacker

third- responsible, organized, dependable, my go to guy. 

Youngest- total goofball. Not a care in the world. Homework?  Wha-what??

My mom had 4 girls, and we sound almost just like that, except my youngest sister is the pleaser. And she's a bit flaky, but means well. Very easy going. 

Anyhow, I would LOVE a birth order season. Let's start flooding TPTB with tweets, posts, emails about this idea.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Hmm... trying to think about where us big family people could go? I'm fourth so I don't come under any category. I'd guess we're most like middles?

That is a good point. It would be hard to make a middle tribe. "Middle" is anyone not first or last? Because they're so different! Also, when there's a bit gap in there, sometimes the orders kind of replace themselves. My mom and had me and the 2nd one close together, then a 7 year gap and two more close together. My 3rd sister is more like a first born than a middle. 

They'd probably just have to do a basic first, last, only, and middle (from 3 kid family only) tribe setup.

I did a lot of studying of this stuff in college.  I think some psychologists agree when the gap is more than 6 years, your birth order just stars over again, so if there's 2 siblings 7 years apart they're both basically onlys again.  (It's been AWHILE since I've been in college though. I love reading about this stuff even for fun.)

• Love 6

My three kids have never really fit the oldest/middle/youngest stereotypes, so I don't think I would enjoy the different birth orders discussing how their place in the family makes them better at Survivor just like I don't enjoy hearing the current cast discuss how being in their generation makes them better.  However, I cannot imagine any cast division that would make me want to listen to them talk about how their stereotype makes them better.

I don't know if they would ever do a birth order division because it may be too similar to the "collars" division.  The Collars season also makes dividing tribes by income unlikely.  

I do think that, if the show stays on tv long enough, there will be a season where teams are divided by where they were born (southerners vs  Northeasterners vs West Coasters vs Midwesterners  - or  - Urban vs Suburban vs Rural).  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

They could have my DS. He's an oldest but was a slacker, not a care in the world type. My younger (twin DDs) are the pleasers and achievers. Could be more a boy/girl thing since they are only 2 years apart and basically triplets. But I'd so be interested in this type of Survivor theme. My SDH was the baby with 2 older sisters and so I am always intrigued by the birth order dynamics. My brother was 5 years older than I so we were more like only children.

Best part of a new Survivor season is coming here and reading all your wonderful and funny posts! I was giggling reading through this forum.

I get way too excited for a new season, but this premiere was actually pretty interesting. Early favorites: Hannah, Zeke, Mari and Jessica.

Oh David, I feel you about being scared of the bugs, the jungle etc, hence why I'm sitting at home watching the show. Atleast he should be fun to watch for me cause I don't have to deal with him in real life.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2016 at 8:24 AM, ghoulina said:

I want to throw up on "The Triforce". Taylor and Jay are total "bros" and I already cannot stand them. Figgy is annoying as well. Just no. I hope Mari's plotting against them works out, and doesn't come back to bit her in the but. 

So many people to dislike this time around.   I'll see your Triforce and raise you an Adam, who seems to think confessionals are the place to narrate the show in your best Casey Kasem voice.  I shouted STFU at the TV.

• Love 1