Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Meet the Parents

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Wow, I needed a cigarette when the sofa scene was over (and I don't smoke).  I wouldn't have been surprised if the fire department broke down the front door and hosed them.  

Jill was so aghast that the banana bread women had husbands who didn't work much or didn't work at all.  I said,"Oh, you mean like Derick?"

I did learn from this that I hate the word "babe".

I so want to organize an intervention and get poor sweet Jana the hell out of there.  Anyone with me?  If she had been raised in the real world, she'd have had her pick of dates.

• Love 17
10 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

I was so sad when I heard one of the twins talking about his 'graduation' from high school. He was really glad that he was done with schooling - now he could get on with his life of selling used cars. It's clear that the none of these kids ever even consider college as a next step in their education. I just don't get it. How brainwashed would you have to be to completely ignore the possibility of further education?

Pretty darned brainwashed - I believe is the answer to your question. I'm sure the overall vibe fundie parents put out on education - the whole time they're homeschooling - is that this is just something we have to get through. A drudgery, a mandatory task. Not something joyous and exciting, which it can be. Kids literally are brainwashed into thinking that education is like cleaning the toilet - it must be done, but we don't have to like it & we don't have to invest a lot of time in it.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Marigold said:

It's called a Family Closet. Many large families do that. I have three girls close in age and size and we actually do it too. I didn't plan on it but it turned out that way.  Everything is in one closet and they pull what they want. It is really easier, assuming everyone has similiar size and taste. 

My mother had 6 kids [3 of each] within 8 years.  We girls shared a single room & closet until I was 10, and the boys shared one room until they each moved out after HS.  Clothes-sharing was just the most normal thing. It was having our OWN outfits that seemed strange to us. And that didn't really start happening until we starting BUYING our own clothes. In addition, my parents' sibs all had kids a little older or a little younger than us, so all the cousins shared clothes too. I can't remember a single Summer picnic where the mothers in our family weren't going through cardboard boxes of baby, toddler & pre-schooler clothes - trading things, remembering how cute A looked when wearing X etc. Lots of stories!! And I loved it when my aunt [who had 3 girls, all older than me & my sisters] would send down boxes of clothes she had made for them. It was like designer wear. Perfectly-tailored and constructed. She was a master seamstress, could do ANYTHING with a needle, and once made my uncle an overcoat of camel-colored cashmere. Very elegant!

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I don't remember the whole Josh/Anna courtship...did they actually hold hands?  How did Boob feel about that?  is it one of those things that's cool if his son is doing the blasphemous hand-holding, but not his daughter?

This is the name of my new band.

No, there was no hand-holding until after the engagement was announced.  Anna acted so silly with the hand-holding that some people referred to it as "hand-sex".  It was sad actually.  

You know, when Josh kissed Anna on their wedding day, I said to myself then that he didn't kiss like a man who had never kissed a woman before.  I don't know where he learned it or saw it, but he tenderly took her face in his hands and french-kissed her.  JimBob did call himself having "that" talk with Josh prior to the wedding, so maybe he told him how to do it.

Derick and Jill's kiss was sort of awkward.  Even Derick admits now that they've gotten better at it.

Jessa refused to have their fist kiss in public, so I don't know what it was like.  Ben did say Jessa was his first "girlfriend".

I'm so glad I've you guys to talk to about the Duggars.  None of my friends claim to watch it - ha!!

• Love 6

Forewarned again. This ain't gonna be pretty. I'm very intuitive. Like to the point that sometimes while people are telling me something i will begin to finish it with them. I can do it watching tv programs too.

Jeremy has already performed something on that silly little twit.

Hands, digits, likely not utilizing his "headship"..get it? Headship. I kill me.

I have never in my life looked at a man like that unless he has made my eyes roll back and my toes curl simultaneously. Even when I was "14". 

She's crawling all over that man and he's eyeballing her like Mechelle eyes him. 

They've done something. He's done  something to her or for her, more specifically. And she's done. 

That's JBs issue. He senses it. He smells it. That disgusting old horndog KNOWS it and he can't do a fucking thing about it.

He's beat.

And she's in for a world of pain at some point cus there is no way in hell a man like that will be content to stay home and listen to her babbling away about nothing. 

The end. 

• Love 24
2 hours ago, Wellfleet said:

Pretty darned brainwashed - I believe is the answer to your question. I'm sure the overall vibe fundie parents put out on education - the whole time they're homeschooling - is that this is just something we have to get through. A drudgery, a mandatory task. Not something joyous and exciting, which it can be. Kids literally are brainwashed into thinking that education is like cleaning the toilet - it must be done, but we don't have to like it & we don't have to invest a lot of time in it.

To be fair, it does depend on their reasons and on their fitness for it, as despite burnout, many teachers still function from a love and talent of teaching and it would show.  The average fundie SAHM hausfrau type with an IQ below 120, is as likely to be about as innumerate as I, thus I would be a poor choice to teach my kids math.  I'd be smart enough to import someone else for pay to teach the math, and not to treat math like an eye-rolly drudgery in front of the kids; but let's face it; to many graduating students the U.S. over, it is; and those who form homeschooling households, possibly act accordingly.  The parents act like they don't like it and that it's drudgery, because they themselves had to be metaphorically tied to the desks, which in turn gets passed down to the kids.  Imagine Mechelle trying to teach the kids, for example, about any piece of literature with symbolism.  Don't you shudder a little?

5 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

and Jessa looking at him like, yeah and we set our own rules just like poppa bear wanted and Jinge and Jer are practically all over themselves, wth

Maybe Jessa should have thought of that before she insisted upon an easily impressionable near-child for her spouse.

7 hours ago, Aja said:

So much word. Jinger was making me cringer with the breathless "baaaaaaaaaaabe!" every three seconds, but holy shit, at least she was a gracious guest and appreciated the efforts Jeremy and his family made to entertain them.

Belatedly, it occurs to me maybe it's possible that Jinger was enraptured because any shack where an unmarried adult lives on their own like a grownup is enchanting to her.   Maybe she's one of the ones happy not living in everybody else's shadow. Maybe Jinger surviving in a city isn't so unfathomable (bear with me; my logic here is that in cities everybody knows at least one person complaining that the life is solitary, and doesn't lend itself to making connections unless you force yourself on people).  Maybe on a subconscious level she's fully internalized you can be a quiet stranger in a city if you want, and/or is champing at the bit to make her own household.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 8

There've been a lot of comments about Jinger's craft project for Jeremy, but no one has commented on the thing that will bug me from here to eternity: it's wrong geographically! Texas is NOT to the northwest of Arkansas, Arkansas is to the northeast (i.e., up and to the right) of Texas.  Even in a craft project I expect relationships like that to be generally correct. Just another failure of the SOTDRT, I guess.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, MarysWetBar said:

Forewarned again. This ain't gonna be pretty. I'm very intuitive. Like to the point that sometimes while people are telling me something i will begin to finish it with them. I can do it watching tv programs too.

Hands, digits, likely not utilizing his "headship"..get it? Headship. I kill me.

I have never in my life looked at a man like that unless he has made my eyes roll back and my toes curl simultaneously. Even when I was "14". 

She's crawling all over that man and he's eyeballing her like Mechelle eyes him. 

They've done something. He's done  something to her or for her, more specifically. And she's done. 

That's JBs issue. He senses it. He smells it. That disgusting old horndog KNOWS it and he can't do a fucking thing about it.

He's beat.

And she's in for a world of pain at some point cus there is no way in hell a man like that will be content to stay home and listen to her babbling away about nothing. 

The end. 

1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

I like the theory, but when would he have gotten her alone for...seven minutes in heaven?

I would guess at Ben and Jessa's house.  Jessa looked sort of bemused at Ben's fumbling of the courtship rules, almost like she knew something that he didn't.  When Jeremy's in town, he most certainly stays at their place.  I could see a situation where Ben's at school, Jinger's visiting her man, and Jessa's like, "Eh, screw it, I'm going to be feeding Spurgeon in another room for 20 minutes.  Follow the rules guys."

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

There've been a lot of comments about Jinger's craft project for Jeremy, but no one has commented on the thing that will bug me from here to eternity: it's wrong geographically! Texas is NOT to the northwest of Arkansas, Arkansas is to the northeast (i.e., up and to the right) of Texas.  Even in a craft project I expect relationships like that to be generally correct. Just another failure of the SOTDRT, I guess.

That bugged the crap out of me, too . Among the issues with "Jinge's" middle school craft project was complete geographical idiocy.

ETA and there was no reason for it. Typically, you put the most weight near the bottom of a frame--it's why when you mat something, the mat is slightly wider on the bottom. It was just dumb.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I'm going to go ahead and say it: John David is a catch.  Let me count the ways:

He obviously has a brain - one does not fly planes without a strong sense for math.  He does construction - again, math.  According to Joy he is also a police officer, and a fireman...whatever, the guy definitely has a strong work ethic.  He also had to step into the role of de facto oldest son when Josh went off the rails.  He likely feels a sense of now having to be a role model for his brothers and a protector of his sisters.  During his talking heads, I sense a weary young man, growing old before his time, who would make a steadfast and reliable husband.  Being married might take the enormous burden of being a Duggar 24/7 off his shoulders, and give him a sense of real purpose as well as lightening his life.  I wish him well.  #free JD

Yes, yes, yes! So much of this, yes! 

Would I ever date him? No, never, and not just because of his family but because I believe in a woman's right to have some independent's. But, in their circle and community, I think he would make a wife incredibly happy and would likely rival Chad. I think the only difference is Chad is more charismatic and natural in front of crowds/TV. 

I think JD was likely a thoughtful, quiet child who took everything in around him and understands where his family is wrong and how things have gone wrong. He likely feels tied to his siblings and won't outright leave, but also doesn't want to end up like his parents either. Some of his ideologies and thought-processes are likely off for a mainstream girl, but when matched with a like-thinking female, he'll likely make a very strong, dedicated partner. 

• Love 14

I actually attempted to watch this shit show last night, but I am so repulsed by JBoob and Clown Car that I had to change channels when they showed up.  I despise that couple with every ounce of my being.  They should both be in prison for child abuse/neglect IMO.  I find it difficult to feel anything but sorry for the Duggar kids, because everyone of them were doomed from the moment of conception.  I'm very glad that I'm able to come here and read the snark, and I want to thank everyone who can stomach sitting through an entire hour of that garbage. :-)

• Love 15

They are really working hard to prove JD is a great catch after the Josh scandals hit the fan. Yes girls, JD is the total opposite of Josh with his many careers and skills. He is a volunteer police officer, volunteer firefighter, can fly a plane, and do construction (jobs in the Gothard movement men are suppose to take so they can help others by spreading the gospel to the heathen masses in their own special and unique ways.)

I laugh at the graduates when they thought they exceled in school. Really... Joy does not understand the true meaning of learning math skills. Yes, she may not use Algebra on a daily basis, but having good math skills requires thinking outside the box, learning how to deal with certain situations, and help you think and learn when things. When a person thinks about it, you all use math learning skills in every day life. Sadly, the Duggars have not discover that for themselves.

Jeremy...Jeremy...Jeremy... The way he acted to Jinger art project gift. He was talking to her like she was five years old handing him a project she made for him in Kindergarten. And the way she was talking and acting around him made me want to reach for the barf bag.

And Jill acting like she is an expert on marriage. These poor women with their husbands cheating on them or not working, and living with their big families. Sound familiar Jill... And these people must be hard up if they want to listen to Derick speaks because he needs to add on about an extra thirty minutes for translation. I rather be taken hostage by one of the gangs then listen to these two.

Maybe once Jinger embarks on her new life, she won't have hours of tedium to fill with shopping and craft projects. I will personally whistle "The Great Escape" as she and Jeremy head out to Laredo. And I will present an "Honorable Mention" to Jessa for introducing her sister to a self-sufficient man who can flip crap at Jim Boob. Jessa herself has been known to toss him a retort so she may be digging Jeremy. I have never really thought Jessa was a bitch; I appreciate that there are lapses in her "keeping sweet."

in Jeremy's apartment, thank goodness Boob didn't push Michelle onto the massive bed and do some dry humpin' to taunt Jinger and Jeremy with. 

2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I think she arranged the states so that their two cities were as adjacent as possible. It still bugs me that she made AR as big as TX, though. 

• Love 8

2jg9t7s.jpg

szbbqh.jpg

Jimbob is such a passive aggressive weirdo. Jeremy's parents seem like normal, camera shy people. I don't know how I feel about Jeremy. He knows how to deal with Jimbob. 

I think "cowl plug" is pretty self descriptive. It plugs the cowling. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

It still bugs me that she made AR as big as TX, though. 

I'm not sure I'd put that entirely on JInger, though. Don't you think the craft store probably sells state-outline patterns for people to use in this "craft"? And they probably make the states the same size? I have a hard time seeing Jinger coming up with those state outlines on her own. Where would she get them? She couldn't have traced them from an atlas or a wall map (first of all, because the Duggars probably don't have any of these), because if she did, then either she used two maps (and we know  they don't have two) or she herself enlarged or shrank a state -- and we know she doesn't have either the math or craft skills or the equipment (at their highly ill-equipped house) to do that. I expect that there are bins of state patterns at the craft store for projects like this -- and all the states in the bins are approximately the same size.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

I think "cowl plug" is pretty self descriptive. It plugs the cowling. 

I'm at a house with cable this week so actually had the show on Tuesday all the way through. (First time ever. What the hell is wrong with me.) I was doing a couple of other things at the same time, so I could stand it since I wasn't really paying attention. But the 'cowl plug" conversation got my attention because of this: Isn't Josiah supposedly already a pilot? How the hell did he not know what the cowl plugs were? (or was it not Josiah, or something? I thought it was, but I wasn't paying close attention... Or did I misunderstand what he was saying? Also possible... anyway) .... Clearly whatever flying experience he'd have would be in that same little tiny plane -- and it doesn't have so many parts that you could avoid learning about the cowl plugs, I would think. Is he truly just as stupid and lazy-brained as all the rest of them? And what's he doing claiming to be a pilot when he doesn't even know the damn parts of the plane he supposedly flies?!    

What struck me from listening (sorta) to the whole show for the first time is how unbelievably stupid and dull-witted and slow-moving and ignorant every single one of them is. It's like they've been drugged and hit over the head or something. How in the world is this an entertainment tv show? It's excruciating and horrifying and they don't do a single damn thing. .... And a supposed pilot of a little Cessna doesn't know what the cowl plugs are. And he's always been esteemed to be one of the smarter and more interested ones. How is this possible??? (my question of the day)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

Right on @Churchhoney - it is mind numbing boring to watch them.  Much better to read about it here, even just from previews.  Could it all be just for the TV show and in regular life they are a little more animated?  Could they have had "the talk" about how to behave on camera?  would be interesting to see what happens if there were hidden cameras around and they didn't think they were being recorded.  I have episodes on the DVR and can't make myself watch them yet.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Right on @Churchhoney - it is mind numbing boring to watch them.  Much better to read about it here, even just from previews.  Could it all be just for the TV show and in regular life they are a little more animated?  Could they have had "the talk" about how to behave on camera?  would be interesting to see what happens if there were hidden cameras around and they didn't think they were being recorded.  I have episodes on the DVR and can't make myself watch them yet.

Me three about not being able to tolerate watching these eejits for more than a couple of minutes at a time. @lookeyloo, I don't even bother to record their shows anymore because I know I'll just delete them eventually. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, MarysWetBar said:

He's beat.

The end. 

I think I agree with you that some intimacy has occurred between Jinger and Jeremy.  I don't know when or how, but I can see in her face that what she feels for Jeremy is something more than puppy-love.  It's more like anticipation, know what I mean?

• Love 5

Still think if Jeremy and Jinger make it to Laredo, a job at their church is going to miraculously open up for Ben.  Though Jessa seems much shyer outside the family than Jinger and may not like it.

Joseph and Josiah have really annoyed me in the past few episodes and I'm not sure why.

• Love 4

I'm definitely Team Jeremy. I love that he totally appeared to have no time for JB's BS. He looks to have had had a fairly normal middle class upbringing and couldn't fathom struggling with Jinger's "thrifting" addiction. His mother is clearly very well acquainted with stores like Macy's and Dillard's, so I would think he probably envisioned Saturday shopping at places like Kohl's, not Goodwill. His apartment is a completely normal dwelling space for a bachelor or young couple. He is obviously able to support himself and it appears to bother JB that he can't own Jeremy. The looks on his parents faces were hilarious throughout this bizarre ritual. The song thing was a little OTT but I don't speak fundie, so maybe this it's cool in those circles.

• Love 10

Ahhhh poor Boob has no clue what he is in for with Jeremy! We Italians are a snarky bunch. I don't think Boob is that smart to recognize when he is being slammed. Rock on Jeremy!

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 21
43 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Joseph and Josiah have really annoyed me in the past few episodes and I'm not sure why.

Because they, too, are proving to be absolute total brain-dead brainwashed idiots-totally-in-the-Duggardumb-mold, despite some (in Josiah's case, longstanding) rumors to the contrary?

And for me, ditto for Jedid and Jeremi (including whichever is the purported "rebel" twin with multiple Alert trips). Supposedly they were some smart ones -- one liked to play chess with grandpa -- whose twindom gave them someone to talk to and thus possibly grow some semblance of brain matter above the stem. And Joy, although she basically lost me back when I decided that she was the voice on the winter fun terrorizing-the-cat video shrieking "Git 'eem! Git 'eeem!" as Bin gave Dreck the mighty shove catward down the hill.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, asuwur said:

I'm definitely Team Jeremy. I love that he totally appeared to have no time for JB's BS. He looks to have had had a fairly normal middle class upbringing and couldn't fathom struggling with Jinger's "thrifting" addiction. His mother is clearly very well acquainted with stores like Macy's and Dillard's, so I would think he probably envisioned Saturday shopping at places like Kohl's, not Goodwill. His apartment is a completely normal dwelling space for a bachelor or young couple. He is obviously able to support himself and it appears to bother JB that he can't own Jeremy. The looks on his parents faces were hilarious throughout this bizarre ritual. The song thing was a little OTT but I don't speak fundie, so maybe this it's cool in those circles.

Have you listened to his father's (virtually endless) sermons on "biblical gender roles"?

Or, for that matter, Jeremy's (virtually endless) anti-masturbation sermon?

Just sayin.

Of course, to me, stealth nutters are almost more dangerous than blatant nutters.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

Churchhoney....seriously, you are so right-on with that wonderful list of things that most teens/young adults do as they grow up and learn about themselves.

The Duggar kids are insulated, yes - but they also have access to the interwebz, social media, etc.  There is no way they don't know what else is out there in the world...the question is, why are they not attempting, even a little bit, to explore outside of their own family?  Are they truly that brainwashed?  Have they been somehow threatened by JB?  Are they simply still afraid to step off the blanket?  Are they holding back for the protection of their brothers and sisters?  I too am gobsmacked that not even one of the older kids has made the smallest attempt at trying for something more than the sadness of returning, night after night, to their messy, musty, shared dormrooms, cream-of-tater-tot casseroles, and being monitored by a father who will not protect them and a mother with marbles rolling around in her head instead of a brain.  What happens to the kids when JB and Michelle are no longer around?  Will any of them have the first clue how to take care of themselves?  This is awful, and sad, and abusive.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Have you listened to his father's (virtually endless) sermons on "biblical gender roles"?

Or, for that matter, Jeremy's (virtually endless) anti-masturbation sermon?

Just sayin.

Of course, to me, stealth nutters are almost more dangerous than blatant nutters.

Ugh.......no....apparently I missed that nugget of knowledge.....abandon all hope, ye who enter..... (seriously, the most sexually repressed always wind up being the most obsessed with everyone's sex lives and identities)

• Love 6
1 minute ago, asuwur said:

Ugh.......no....apparently I missed that nugget of knowledge.....abandon all hope, ye who enter..... (seriously, the most sexually repressed always wind up being the most obsessed with everyone's sex lives and identities)

No, I still think we need to continue to hope. I join you in your hope, really. I'd like something good and normal for poor old Jinger. Hard to do it after listening to those sermons, though!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

But, in their circle and community, I think he would make a wife incredibly happy and would likely rival Chad. I think the only difference is Chad is more charismatic and natural in front of crowds/TV. 

OMG. And NO to the millionth degree. Chad is a hottie. JD is not in his stratosphere.

Fundie guys ranking:

Chad Paine

(four thousand spaces)

Chad's brothers (there must be some)

Jeremy

Ben

Some of the Bates guys

Derick

The rest of the J boys

(seven trillion spaces)

Josh

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stryper 

One of the band members is married to the girl that started Hookers For Jesus ministry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Lobert

I'd love to see Bin hook up with Annie to minister. Just the look on Jessa's face would be priceless. But it would be for JESUS!!! lol

I don't think I ever heard any of Stryper's music, but I heard they were pretty cool and even some metal fans like them. Other Christian themed bands like Creed and Jars of Clay and Switchfoot have done well commercially and are regarded as mainstream.  Dave Mustaine from Megadeth is now a devout Christian.  So yes, where is it written that Christian music has to SUCK to be godly? My sister and her husband are big CCM listeners and at a family BBQ, I commented to her...wow Christian music is getting super cool nowadays. I remember pastors telling us we should only listen to that, but I tried, and it was so lame. She said: "Yep, 'they' finally figured out if the wanted people to like CCM that it should be enjoyable. What took them so long?"

Commenting on Jessa's culture shock, I can't even imagine life without music! I LOVE music and was brought up to appreciate jazz, classical, reggae, bossa nova, etc. While my dad was alive, I repaid him my music education by introducing him to new sounds I enjoyed.  Being told I can't listen to anything but sermons, classical, Muzak, and Old Time gospel, would make me stabby. Duggars claim to listen to classical, but it's not reflected in their music education, much like their vegetable-eating claims..

Anything that puts that look of stank on Jessa's puss is all good to me.  The Constipated Frog Face of Disapproval is a bonus! OK, Nancy, you want ratings?

Send the Duggar clan to a Christian death metal concert now!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I don't remember the whole Josh/Anna courtship...did they actually hold hands?  How did Boob feel about that?  is it one of those things that's cool if his son is doing the blasphemous hand-holding, but not his daughter?

This is the name of my new band.

Josh and Anna held hands after they were engaged.  The had figurative hand sex.  It was disgusting.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, drafan said:

OMG. And NO to the millionth degree. Chad is a hottie. JD is not in his stratosphere.

Fundie guys ranking:

Chad Paine

(four thousand spaces)

Chad's brothers (there must be some)

Jeremy

Ben

Some of the Bates guys

Derick

The rest of the J boys

(seven trillion spaces)

Josh

Love this, but I'd put the Bates boys further up the list.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

My immediate thought was that Jinger had to put the guy above herself. Jinger in no way, shape or form can be "above" Jeremy, even in geographical string art.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Churchhoney....seriously, you are so right-on with that wonderful list of things that most teens/young adults do as they grow up and learn about themselves.

The Duggar kids are insulated, yes - but they also have access to the interwebz, social media, etc.  There is no way they don't know what else is out there in the world...the question is, why are they not attempting, even a little bit, to explore outside of their own family?  Are they truly that brainwashed?  Have they been somehow threatened by JB?  Are they simply still afraid to step off the blanket?  Are they holding back for the protection of their brothers and sisters?  I too am gobsmacked that not even one of the older kids has made the smallest attempt at trying for something more than the sadness of returning, night after night, to their messy, musty, shared dormrooms, cream-of-tater-tot casseroles, and being monitored by a father who will not protect them and a mother with marbles rolling around in her head instead of a brain.  What happens to the kids when JB and Michelle are no longer around?  Will any of them have the first clue how to take care of themselves?  This is awful, and sad, and abusive.

I think its' a combination of being brainwashed and afraid, and also just not being that intelligent or intellectually curious. The Bates kids are just as indoctrinated but they seem to have an overall higher intelligence level running through their family. So far, none of the Duggar kidults exhibit any sort of intelligence or independent thought, and they're probably perfectly happy believing they are the awesomest people in the world (so much so that it is their duty to go to other countries and make sure everyone knows how awesome they are) and everyone else is a hellbound hater. A lot of them are still too young to tell--statistically, there has got to be at least one intelligent spark among them--but yeah. Brainwashed and unbright.

• Love 3

I also think the Bates kids are better socialized. Even though their higher education is limited to Clown College, it's still an opportunity for them to have some independence, interact with their peers and spend time doing something constructive. They're probably still not on the same maturity level as a mainstream 19 or 20 year-old, but they're light years ahead of the Duggars.

• Love 7

Watched the whole episode last night. 

Babe and Cringe: over the top acting about small things. He is an art connoisseur and she will soon be chatelaine of his estate when he is preaching in the cathedral.

Boob: absolute dick. Let's see Josiah when he brought Marjorie home. Here is my bunk and .. yah. No wonder she ran. Jeremy has a small apartment, and the Duggs are all in bunkbeds at their father's prison. TLC could have shown more of Babe's parents. Less of the idiot and his high pitched blow up doll. Rude and if there is karma, Babe is doing just enough to stay in his favour until he takes over headship. But that masterbation sermon is always in the back of my mind. At least Jeremy can offer her a city with a Walmart (I'm guessing). 

Jessa is a strong person, she didn't appear much in this episode, but Jessa is the voice of sanity and reason. (OMG!!!) She is level headed and she married her boy toy because he can get an education and they are a good balance. He doesn't seem capable or ambitious to take the lead, she takes over. He is emotional and she is grounded. Thank you Jessa for not being Jill or Cringe. 

Josiah: I used to love his talking heads. He is now the male version of Michelle. He spiels about their cult as if it's fascinating instead of disturbing. What a waste of a mind. Proudly printing off the Duggar Academy dipolmas. 

Joy: Blech. They used her for the pilot thingy as someone mentioned above, she is the new Jana the electrician and Jinger the car salesman. The little girls still have welder, carpenter, long haul truck driver and professional football player. She's is dumb as Jill, but seems emotionally stable like Jessa.  

The Geek Twin: Pretty much as expected, happy to remain a virgin and sell cars or something for dear old dad. No ambition here. Just a proud dangle off of Boobs arse. 

The Sinner Twin: Much disappointment. I hope he is very clever and is hiding his escape plot, but after seeing Josiah's decline...

OMG almost forgot my despicable Dullards. Just give the money to the lady who was helping the people. Why should useless Americans come in when the funds could go towards a local person who has more impact? Jill you are just a miserable parasite who probably hands Izzy off to visitors when possible. Giant White Baby should not be wandering among people asking for food. That is not acceptable. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 11

I think the most puzzling thing (and most obvious denominator between Jeremy's parents and Jimblob was their reaction when he referred to Jinger's thrift store shopping. Jeremy and the folks took it as a plus that Jinger SAVES money by shopping in thrift stores (as apposed to retail stores) while Jimblob made it sound as though she was wasting thousands of dollars buying things.

Also, I don't think ANY of the in-laws like Jimblob - especially the men! (Ben's Dad. Jeremy's dad and Derrick's stepdad).  The mom's try, and probably feel sorry for Michelle and her horrible life, but it's kind of obvious that they won't be hanging around Jimblob if they can avoid it.  Even Anna's super fundie parents seem to want to distance themselves from the Duggar family (for more than one reason)... 

• Love 5
On 9/13/2016 at 4:16 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Ooooh, I have some coffee ice cream. Maybe a trip to the liquor store for some Kahlua is in order!

As for that "flying lesson" Joy is getting, FAKE! Someone on FJ looked up JD's licensure, and he is not listed as an instructor. 

Again, they are such liar-faces (TM Vicki Gunvalson). 

Can you even be an instructor after only flying for maybe 4 years? 

On 9/13/2016 at 7:38 PM, magpye29 said:

Could Jeremy possibly have been more over-the-top in his reaction to Jinger's gift?  

that was weird and embarrassing. 

On 9/13/2016 at 7:52 PM, tabloidlover said:

Wait just a damn minute here!!  I know you all are ahead of me as I'm only 7 minutes in.  However, no one's math adds the fuck up.  During packing, Jinger said they have been courting for 3 weeks.  Cut to Jeremy getting out of SUV with his parents saying they have been long distance for 2 weeks.  Cut to him giving her the world's saddest cup of flowers and he says  "Happy Two months!"    What in the fuck??

And does Jeremy realize how stupid he looks walking with his parents like he is a teen on his first friggin date??

I thought he meant it had been 2 weeks since they had last seen each other. 

14 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

That bothered me too! Someone else probably figured out the reason - that she was putting him above her. 

Now I would never date someone like JD but the qualities/skills he has, I would not take for granted.  I have a lot of friends who have worthless husbands who probably can't drill a hole in the wall and I have one that has a lot of skills like JD (but no pilot's license) and it is SO FREAKING HANDY.  I appreciate him so much. 

• Love 4