Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Meet the Parents

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, cereality said:

And to me the JB comment of -- your modest salary may not be enough, you'll need a 2nd job was such a set up for a conversation whether a month from now or a yr from now -- look you're living 700 miles away from us on a pittance, come back to Arkansas, you can preach here, and I have tons of free housing available. Even more telling than that though was the fact that Jer had NOTHING to say on that point. I know he was put on the spot, but come on, he has watched close enough to know some made for TV drama coming. And even if he didn't, I feel like most guys -- esp. of a patriarchal culture -- would feel their pride/worth was being questioned and would say SOMETHING, whether -- actually I make a good salary enough for 2 people and a family; I wouldn't be looking to marry until I was financially stable; I have a budget worked out . . . something. My first thought at Jer's silence was that he was STUNNED that money was an issue bc he thought he'd be benefiting from the Duggar fortune/TLC money and that's why he's signing on for this whole thing.

This. He's literally marrying Jinger for the fame and income from her TV show, but couldn't say that out loud, so had no response. 

They won't stay in Laredo for long because he won't want to. He's going to follow the cameras.

• Love 8

Wow!

jim Bob's return to TV and he was more obnoxious and horrible than ever.  He was so abrasive and awful. He was worse last night than all of 19K&C put together.  What a cocky and miserable jerk. 

My husband knows the Duggars but hasn't watched any of the Counting On episodes.  He thought Jeremy was absolutely insane.  His first impression was that he was slow.  Then he changed to mental health problems.

I agree. Something is way off with Jeremy.  He is worrisome to me.  He is just not acting normally.  I know the cameras and the reinactments etc. But something is way off with this guy. 

Ok...do you think...(this is a stretch) that Jim Bob is actually picking up bad vibes from Jeremy and hates him because he is worried that Jeremy is some kinda creep????? Is this possible????  

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Wow!

jim Bob's return to TV and he was more obnoxious and horrible than ever.  He was so abrasive and awful. He was worse last night than all of 19K&C put together.  What a cocky and miserable jerk. 

My husband knows the Duggars but hasn't watched any of the Counting On episodes.  He thought Jeremy was absolutely insane.  His first impression was that he was slow.  Then he changed to mental health problems.

I agree. Something is way off with Jeremy.  He is worrisome to me.  He is just not acting normally.  I know the cameras and the reinactments etc. But something is way off with this guy. 

Ok...do you think...(this is a stretch) that Jim Bob is actually picking up bad vibes from Jeremy and hates him because he is worried that Jeremy is some kinda creep????? Is this possible????  

^^^ That's a great question, @Marigold. Maybe he is picking up bad vibes. And maybe he's squashing it down because (a) Jeremy's a pastor and talks the fundie talk and therefore he must be a fine man, and (b) how do you tell your 22 year old sheltered daughter that, after all, the guy you OK'd her to court isn't all that and a bag of chips after all, and (c) he probably thinks he's overreacting as a protective dad, and (d) the TV show.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Wow!

If that was the case Boob does have the 'authority' to kabosh the courtship, according to GotHard rules. and you know he would.

My husband was unfortunately subject to this train wreck last night and said Jinjer had 'hungry eyes' LOL. She looks like she is 4 seconds away from pouncing on him at any moment

I bet they are going to have get down to Come thou art or whatever song he was singing. Kinky stuff right there. VOM

• Love 6

Jim Bob's Gothard rules might be crashing in around him.  Jinger is in love with Creepy Jeremy.  It's gonna be really really hard to squash that relationship and Jim Bob knows it.  

OMG,  I think Jim Bob knows Jeremy is a weirdo with ulterior motives and actually dislikes him for that reason!!      

Maybe that prompted the "You have a low salary" conversation.  Was that Jim Bob's stupid way of saying "you make no money and I think you're interested in my daughter for the fame".    Jim Bob has a point of pumping the brakes a bit and seeing what Jeremy is all about?

We all know they will get married but I'm actually thinking Jim Bob doesn't like Jeremy for the same reasons I don't like Jeremy.  He pings my creep meter. Derick and Ben were just funny to me. Dopes.  Jeremy is just so old to be acting so strangely.

Oh dear, I think I said something nice about jim Bob.  

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 12

I was so sad when I heard one of the twins talking about his 'graduation' from high school. He was really glad that he was done with schooling - now he could get on with his life of selling used cars. It's clear that the none of these kids ever even consider college as a next step in their education. I just don't get it. How brainwashed would you have to be to completely ignore the possibility of further education?

• Love 12
4 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Emeraldgirl, Hot for Preacher. Love it. Admit I only watched with one eye open. The Holy Goalie seems ssee more much older than Jinj. 

Just can't stop hearing Van Halen "Hot for Teacher"....She's got it bad, bad, bad...she's hot for preacher...just replace teacher with preacher...

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Aja said:

I doubt Boob has that much genuine wariness over Jeremy. Jeremy secured another season of Counting On with his courting of Jinj-babe. Boob was just doing his overprotective-daddy schtick for the camera because he thinks is adorable, but it's actually disgusting when applied to his adult daughter that he has purposefully kept dependent. As others have pointed out, it was your typical Duggar tone-deaf, complete-lack-of-short-term-memory move to grill Jeremy about his financial security when we have all seen the go-getters he wholeheartedly approved of two of his other daughters marrying. Not to mention forcing his own family of sixteen to live in a two bedroom, one-bathroom shack while he spent hundreds of thousands on a theocratic political campaign. As usual, Boob's antics go over like a lead balloon while Michelle giggles helplessly. 

Not to mention he allowed his daughters to live with a known child molester. 

He chose his son over his daughters safety and well being numerous times. Im sure sending Jinger up?/down? the river to this total creep is no sweat off his back.

The more we see Jeremy the more scared I am for Jinger. poor thing. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I'm going to go ahead and say it: John David is a catch. 

*weeps softly whilst unraveling my "New York to Michigan" string art.........*

ICAM about JD. He is sweet, hard-working, kind, and cute-for-a-Duggar. He seems to have such a gentle, simple spirit, despite the sadistic soul-crushing efforts of Kim Jong Boob and his wraith of a helpmeet. I hope JD finds some happiness. 

(I laughed for like five minutes at the crying-and-unraveling visual.)

• Love 18
9 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Hey, Jinger is hot for preacher, it seems to have driven Jim Bob to tater tot binges, and I'm loving every minute of it. Plus insane looking Michelle can't keep her hands off the guy. This shit is way better than ordering Bin to clean toilets. 

MeChelle is such a shameless hussie!!!!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

You know when a visual is perfectly captured in the written word? This is it. This here. I can't stop laughing!  

• Love 11

Jing's HIGH-PITCHED ,yet whispered "Baaaabe!!!" made me cringe every time.

I kept my eye and ears on Michelle.  She wasn't quite as quiet as it appeared.  She mimicked JB several times. Upon testing out the Mexican candy, JB proclaimed they were "expanding their horizons".  She whispered screachily " we're expanding our horizons"! 

The whole scene about both parents praying for their child's dream of a spouse and that god had answered prayers all around seemed to settle it: Jeremy and Jinge were found for each other by god.

I also gasped when alpha male JB opened a 29 year old closet!!!!!!!!!  But I did peak a neatly organized closet.

I'm sure Ma V. cleaned and decorated and I was pleased to NOT see word art like JOY JESUS FAMILY LOVE all over the walls.

Did anyone catch Jinger's last look at Jeremy as she ascended the escalator and looked down on him?  She had the strangest, most childlike expression on her countenance!

• Love 5

9 hours ago, Annb67 said:

And.....that song? They go around the house singing that? That is their song? Wtf.... I would sell a child to have had Jeremy crank out "Shots" or "Like a Virgin" in front of Mr and Mrs Idiot.

Btw.....Jeremy you can't sing. Jinj lies.

I admit to liking "Come, Thou Fount" a bit and humming it from time to time when I go through my hymn periods.

Apparently now it's become the "Like a Virgin" of the fundie set. Guessing it's the endless repetition of the simple, somewhat catchy (for a hymn) hook. The above is a cover by a "punk" -- yes, they call themselves that har har har har har har har -- Christian band. And there are lots of covers. So it may be number one with a bullet on Laredo and Tonittown Christian radio.

9 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

Hey, Jinger is hot for preacher, it seems to have driven Jim Bob to tater tot binges, and I'm loving every minute of it. Plus insane looking Michelle can't keep her hands off the guy. This shit is way better than ordering Bin to clean toilets. 

Second son in law in a row that Michelle appears to have the hots for. Geesh, woman.

• Love 2

What was with the dick-waving contest in the van on the way to the airport? Boob and the Holy Goalie were like hagglers at a Neapolitan fish market. I get that this is Jinger's shot at escaping her family circus and so is heavily invested in the relationship going well, but she needs to take it down several thousand notches and have some self-respect. That's not a criticism of Jinger. She can't magically conjure something she has never been taught the concept of. But God, I wish she had at least one influence in her life that wasn't in full on blind support of this madness.

Also, I just managed to pinpoint the thing about this show that made me more stabby than any other thing, and it is STRICTLY TLC's fault [paraphrasing because I don't remember what the exact task was because apparently just watching the Duggars affects my own short term memory]: 

Survival training camp guy: OK guys, now we're going to build some shelters.

Cut to TH of Joy: The guy....at the survival camp....said...ok...now we're going to build some...SHELTERS...and so......

They do this CONSTANTLY. Person says something. Cut to talking head of Duggar saying "This person said *verbatim repeat of what we just heard the person say*". Person does something. Cut to talking head of Duggar saying "So this person *describes in painstakingly unnecessary detail what we have just seen*." 

Please. Stop.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 15
46 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

ICAM about JD. He is sweet, hard-working, kind, and cute-for-a-Duggar. He seems to have such a gentle, simple spirit, despite the sadistic soul-crushing efforts of Kim Jong Boob and his wraith of a helpmeet. I hope JD finds some happiness. 

(I laughed for like five minutes at the crying-and-unraveling visual.)

At their age, are John David and Jana able to say who they'd like to be adopted by? Because I'd love to adopt them. I understand their situation. I understand the things that have made them the way they are. I could give them all the stuff they need without overwhelming them immediately with too much of the normal contemporary world. It'd be a perfect match and could gradually lead to some kind of normal adult lives for them. .... Unfortunately, I suppose that guilt and a sense of duty will keep them chained to the TTH forever to support the other kids. Poor things.

25 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Touché!  Maybe it's just worse when accompanied by slimy Jeremy's syrupy, reptilian smile.

Oh, absolutely.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Aja said:

I doubt Boob has that much genuine wariness over Jeremy. Jeremy secured another season of Counting On with his courting of Jinj-babe. Boob was just doing his overprotective-daddy schtick for the camera because he thinks is adorable, but it's actually disgusting when applied to his adult daughter that he has purposefully kept dependent. As others have pointed out, it was your typical Duggar tone-deaf, complete-lack-of-short-term-memory move to grill Jeremy about his financial security when we have all seen the go-getters he wholeheartedly approved of two of his other daughters marrying. Not to mention forcing his own family of sixteen to live in a two bedroom, one-bathroom shack while he spent hundreds of thousands on a theocratic political campaign. As usual, Boob's antics go over like a lead balloon while Michelle giggles helplessly. 

I think Jim Bob is tolerating Jeremy because this whole courtship got another season on TV. I totally agree.  he needs his $$$.  

Jim Bob doesn't like Jeremy, the courtship and the whole situation.  Neither do I!   I hope this is good for Jinger but I really think jeremy is a strange character. Jinger is also deranged in lust with this guy and not thinking clearly. 

I get what you're saying about Josh being allowed to strut around the house after molesting the girls and not protecting the girls.  Jim Bob excused the behavior because it was his son. Total denial of what really happened to his daughters.  He chose to ignore, deny and repress.  Jim Bob might see jeremy more objectively than he sees himself and his family. 

And I actually think Jim Bob was questioning Jeremy's financial plan. Jim Bob is pretty shrewd with the dollar.  He is probably thinking WTF? Derick had that Walmart job and did serve as some type of missionary in Nepal.  Ben was a child so Jim Bob realized he could give Ben work and support him.  Jeremy has these plans of running a 10 person congregation church and supporting a large family? jeremy wants to be independent and yet won't kiss Jim Bob's ring?  Jim Bob might've actually had a moment there...questioning Jeremy and his ideas. 

I can't stand Jim Bob but maybe he is reading the forums and has a bad vibe. 

Jeremy's parents looked highly uncomfortable at the whole thing. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, sometimesy said:

Joy

You have 10 children. You can invite x number of additional children to a party,  but need to feed all children 2 meals. How many children can you invite to the party if you have 30 meals?

*standing ovation*

• Love 3

Agree with everyone about the JD love.  At this point, we need to free JD, Jana, and maybe Joy.  The rest can fend for themselves.

Also, do the boys get to ignore their daily responsibilities (if they even have any) when they are in love?

13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think this is the first time Jinger's been paid attention to in her life. She's always been on the periphery of the J'Slaves. She wasn't the first born daughter like Jana or Daddy's favorite like Jill or the pretty one like Jessa. Other than her incessant eye rolling, nothing about her really stood out. To actually be recognized as an individual has to be exhilarating for her, even if Jeremy is smarmy and completely insincere.

Yes, this.  I don't think JB and Michelle care that much about who she is courting, because they've probably spent the last 22 years saying "which one is Jinger?"  This is all so fake.

10 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

I thought them cuddling on the couch was kind of an "f-you" to Jim Bob.  :)

2 hours ago, Marigold said:

OMG,  I think Jim Bob knows Jeremy is a weirdo with ulterior motives and actually dislikes him for that reason!!      

Maybe that prompted the "You have a low salary" conversation.  Was that Jim Bob's stupid way of saying "you make no money and I think you're interested in my daughter for the fame".    Jim Bob has a point of pumping the brakes a bit and seeing what Jeremy is all about?

Jim Bob has no right to criticize anyone for being a famewhore or money-grabber. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I'm going to go ahead and say it: John David is a catch.  Let me count the ways:

He obviously has a brain - one does not fly planes without a strong sense for math.  He does construction - again, math.  According to Joy he is also a police officer, and a fireman...whatever, the guy definitely has a strong work ethic.  He also had to step into the role of de facto oldest son when Josh went off the rails.  He likely feels a sense of now having to be a role model for his brothers and a protector of his sisters.  During his talking heads, I sense a weary young man, growing old before his time, who would make a steadfast and reliable husband.  Being married might take the enormous burden of being a Duggar 24/7 off his shoulders, and give him a sense of real purpose as well as lightening his life.  I wish him well.  #free JD

He probably did.  I'm thinking he sat on the edge, bounced up and down, and made a comment so smarmy that even TLC was embarrassed to air it.  The fact that he went inside Jerm's closet was such a disgustingly "alpha male" display that I still can't believe Jerm's mom didn't haul off and smack Boob upside the head, as I would've done in her place.  Then, I would've physically dragged my son out of there and brought him somewhere quiet where I could de-program him ASAP.  Jerm's mom looks less than thrilled to have Cringe's parents as "family."  Jerm's dad seems to have drunk from the well of Duggar Kool-Aid, however.

I can't even with this paragraph, because every single word is perfect and necessary. ++++++1.

My DIL (aged ~24 at the time) made my son an Alabama/Ohio string art like that, when he was stationed at LRAFB and she was here.  I thought it was sweet, and creative. :)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

'My husband was unfortunately subject to this train wreck last night and said Jinjer had 'hungry eyes' LOL. She looks like she is 4 seconds away from pouncing on him at any moment

OMG...Now I have the Eric Carmen song "Hungry Eyes" playing in my head, and one of my fave scenes from Dirty Dancing is consequently  ruined forever.

1 hour ago, louannems said:

I'm sure Ma V. cleaned and decorated and I was pleased to NOT see word art like JOY JESUS FAMILY LOVE all over the walls.

Well, not yet anyway...... wait til Jinge gets all those leg-humper wedding gift cards from Hobby Lobby.

Since I maintain that JB gets all his plot ideas from old TV, this one seemed like a cross between Deputy Dawg and Petticoat Junction. Also, is there a category at the Emmys for "Show you can watch entirely through previews and recaps", cuz this one nails it.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Joy

You have 10 children. You can invite x number of additional children to a party,  but need to feed all children 2 meals. How many children can you invite to the party if you have 30 meals?

Joy, you endeavor to have more children than your mother. If you get married at 18, get pregnant 1 month after your wedding, give birth 9 months later, and have a new child every 13 months, how old will you be when you have child number 20?

• Love 13

Boob actually advised Jeremy to get a part time job to support a thrift store habit? Isn't it more practical to advise Jinger to work within a budget? We know she isn't going to get a job.

I really hope Jeremy is just holding it together for the show and blows this up when he has the bloody sheets, or whatever they do. I would love for him to be angry with JB and the way he treats his family and their spouses. So angry that he limits contact for a while, just sort of becomes evasive until they can establish their relationship. Then, he can support Jinger with her photography and she can experience the euphoria of purchasing her own thrift finds. Maybe he comes across as 'difficult' because he is just like most of us on this board and finds the Dugg experience stifling. He is in a position to negotiate his own contract with TLC and I don't think he needs to live in Boobdom to take advantage of the Dugg connection.

I really hope Jeremy is just holding it together until he can become headship and set Jinger free. If he can politely tell Boob to fuck off, that would be awesome too. I saw a bit of the couch snuggling and loved it. I wonder if he DID realize it was not ok, but just was peeing on JB's telephone pole.

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 14
59 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Jim Bob has no right to criticize anyone for being a famewhore or money-grabber. 

Absolutely. Jim bob is huge famewhore and money grabber.  Plus a hypocrite.  

But from jim Bob's point of view?  He might actually think Jeremy is a money grabber using Jinger and doesn't like it one bit.  (karma is a bitch, Jim Bob). 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Boob actually advised Jeremy to get a part time job to support a thrift store habit? Isn't it more practical to advise Jinger to work within a budget? We know she isn't going to get a job.

My first thought was, gosh - why not let Jinge get her OWN job?  Or does Jeremy frown on that kind of forward thinking?  I'm sure it's blasphemy for Boob.

When Jinge was packing for Laredo, she was up in the girls' dorm room, choosing clothing from a huge rack of crap.  Do they girls share those clothes?  Can any girl take what she wants off the rack?  And why did Jinge pull out the t-shirt that said "I HEART TEXAS" and then put it back?  Seems like the perfect thing for a 13-year old girl to wear on a trip to see her babe in Texas.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 14

So Joy does not think she will need to learn math, but she wants to be a pilot ?? And she's not going to become an engineer because that's not God's plan ... not because she doesn't have even a high school diploma, much less any chance of going to college since the Duggar girls can either be married off as teenagers and have 19 kids in quick succession, or stay home to be full time slaves . Hearing her say she took the "steering wheel " of the plane, causing it to drop 200 feet because she didn't realize it was  " so touchy" and then laugh about it makes me glad she has no hope of ever getting her pilots license.      Then there's Jeremy saying there's not enough room on the couch for everyone , or something like that, then proceeding to hog the couch with Jinger while the parents get to sit on hard kitchen chairs. And , no , your crappy little bachelor apartment is not a great place for a young family, since there's no room for the babies that will show up as soon as Jinger gets into that king sized bed with him. Jinger couldn't possibly get a job to help with bills, so Jeremy is expected to work 2 jobs while she sits home and makes pictures with nails. I really hope someone will sit her down and tell her where babies come from and that her fairy tale romance with Jeremy is going to come to a crashing halt about 1 month after the wedding when she has morning sickness .

• Love 19
29 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

When Jinge was packing for Laredo, she was up in the girls' dorm room, choosing clothing from a huge rack of crap.  Do they girls share those clothes?  Can any girl take what she wants off the rack?  

They share clothes.  The first time I caught wind of this was after Jill got married.  Jessa complained that she "took most of the cute clothes."

• Love 2

It's called a Family Closet. Many large families do that. I have three girls close in age and size and we actually do it too. I didn't plan on it but it turned out that way.  Everything is in one closet and they pull what they want. It is really easier, assuming everyone has similiar size and taste. 

• Love 4

Jeremy shows his knees*. *high five* 

they may be all side-huggy, but I know he is getting some side-boob smooshing. 

"He showed us his massive bed."  Did Daddy flinch at that? So obvious that they cannot wait to hop in the sack. I hope they will be very happy. No snark.

*Whoa - inner thigh skin as he man-spreads on the couch. 

• Love 9

JimBob can't stand jocks. Jeremy probably represents every guy on the football team who gave him a swirlie in high school. 

Joy is definitely not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. As a high school "graduate" she should've taken more advanced math than algebra. I took algebra in 8th grade. The flying lesson was nothing but episode filler and F.U. Interwebz fodder. See! We let the wimmin engage in manly activities! Until they're needed back home to watch the kids...

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Brooklynista said:

Fair warning, I'm no Duggar.  Hump me from behind and I'm snatching your virginity!

Wow. Does your headship object to such casual authority transfers?

• Love 11

I love Jeremy flipping shit at JB. JB says, "We believe it's meant to be but (meaningful look) we'll have to pray about the timing." Jeremy: "I'll pray and let you know what He says." Go, Jeremy!

(If it's meant to be, who cares about rushing things??)

i will credit Michelle for muttering something about "broadening our horizons" when Boob was being such a hick about the Mexican candy. 

Very rude to bring up Jeremy's finances in public, but especially with Mr V right there. But actually, a 29-year-old who has been self-sufficient for years does not need Boob's condescending bullshit. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

They have Christian death metal bands, too! I shit you not!

Haha it's sad but true! My college roommate was into that. I thought it was an insult to death metal (which I'm not even a fan of.) 

She offered to download her vast Christian death metal collection onto my computer,  so I could "enjoy" it anytime.  I invented computer problems to get out of it.

• Love 6

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't get a creepy vibe from Jeremy at all. He seems to be very much in love with Jinger- maybe it's his first truly serious relationship. I think, like Derrick, he isn't too fond of Jim Bob and likes the idea of living far away from the Duggar clan. Even in a small church, he will have a modest salary and he and Jinger can probably find a reasonably sized house. Also, they may not decide to have a dozen children either. Technically, under their bizzare rules, isn't Jinger under Jeremy's headship once they marry? So if he decides they only want 2-3 kids, she'll have to agree to it. Speaking of kids, anyone know how many siblings he has?

I need to ask again, how exactly did Ben and Jessa get to know him if he lives in Texas? Online ministry support group or something like that? I've seen where Ben has stated he wants to become a minister, maybe he got in touch with Jeremy for advice.

I think most fundie girls would really like John David once they get to know him. He's probably on the shy side, but Jessa could very likely find someone for him. She found Jeremy- maybe Jessa will become the family matchmaker. 

• Love 7