Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, flyingdi said:

I totally agree with you.  Christianity should be all about Christ and his example.  It isn't for the Duggars, Dilliards, etc.  Its all about the Old Testament for them.  They say its all about accepting Jesus into your heart and then totally ignore all He ever taught in favor of Old Testament law.

I've never seen anything to make me believe that they follow God's Biblical commandments.  To me, they seem to follow a cross between the Bill Gothard gospel and the Jim Bob Duggar gospel. Jim Bob's childhood church was Cross Church.  After marrying Michelle and having a few kids, he decided that the church was not good enough for him so he started a homechurch in his living room, comprised mostly of homeschooling families. (He lived right next door to Cross Church, in the little house where Josh's sexual molestations occurred.)  Homechurching with homeschooling families became one of the hallmarks of his religious beliefs.  Cross Church, on the other hand, started its own private Christian school, Shiloh Christian School.  Jim Bob Duggar was a member of that school's first graduating class in 1983.   

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh please. Jill wouldn't know reality if it slapped her in the face.

Jill should stop wearing nail polish. I don't know if she has some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder that causes her to pick it off, some vitamin deficiency that prevents it from adhering, or if she just doesn't remove and replace it as often as it should, but she looks unkept in every. damn. photo. There's nothing wrong with not wearing nail polish at all . . . 

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, Mollie said:

After marrying Michelle and having a few kids, he decided that the church was not good enough for him so he started a homechurch in his living room, comprised mostly of homeschooling families.

They actually had an intervening time of attending an IFB church before home churching.  Josh's issue may be what lead them to home churching as they were attending the IFB church when it occurred and Michelle had issues with how that was handled by the church.

I wonder why Jill bothers with the polish.  I have trouble with chipping polish so I quit wearing it except for special events and would never photo my hands with chipped polish. 

I get tempted once in awhile to read the books Jill does just to see how far off the beam she is.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Jill should stop wearing nail polish. I don't know if she has some sort of obsessive-compulsive disorder that causes her to pick it off, some vitamin deficiency that prevents it from adhering, or if she just doesn't remove and replace it as often as it should, but she looks unkept in every. damn. photo. There's nothing wrong with not wearing nail polish at all . . . 

ITA.  I don’t wear polish on my nails because it doesn’t even last a day. I don’t know what I do that’s wrong, but I’m a nail polish failure. 

Now, when it comes to my toes. . . I change it once a week in the summer. ?

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

So I have bizarre nails that even having multiple professional manicures with layers of bottom coats and top coats - don't last a day.  So you know what?  I did this amazing thing!  I stopped wearing nail polish!!!  Shocking I know.  Plus if you are begging for handouts for food, clothing, power, chocolate milk - WTF are you doing buying nail polish?????  (granted there is a possibilty that someone is giving her their half used bottles of the stuff, but still)

• Love 11

I seriously doubt Jill gets the true meaning of the book. And don't get be started on using hash tags for the book title and author. #rollingeyes #whyamInotsurprised #doesshenotunderstandChristianworkbeginswithnotjudgingothers #getafreakinggriponrealityJill #tellyourhusbandtogetarealjob

36 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh please. Jill wouldn't know reality if it slapped her in the face.

Jesus!  Her nails again!  If nail polish is such a burden do not wear it.  

17 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

ITA.  I don’t wear polish on my nails because it doesn’t even last a day. I don’t know what I do that’s wrong, but I’m a nail polish failure. 

Ok, this is what I do when I take the time.  I do a manicure, put on ridge filler, put on 2 coats of color, put on a top coat (I do this myself).  That stuff LASTS (I have been asked if its gel and no its not)!  I do it over the course of 3 days so it all dries.  Nothing makes me crankier than polishing my nails only to get a bump in them or something.  

I have a job and can do this from time to time.  I also have cats with no lost girls to watch them while I do it.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, louannems said:

I went to Amazon and that book received hundreds of 5 star reviews.  I'm always leary when everyone gives 5 stars. Fake reviews, maybe?

I ran it through Fake Spot and it says 90% of the reviews are authentic which is a pretty good average. I was surprised... 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

Toes are a must!   And I don't get pedicures because it creeps me out to think of someone touching my feet.   GROSS!   However, if you are going to polish toes or fingernails you MUST keep them up!   It is so much worse to look sloppy.  It's not like she has a job or anything, and her husband is gone 40+ hours a week at a job...

• Love 2

Dear Jill, instead of painting your nails red, please switch to clear nail polish, or don't use it at all.  It's all too apparent that you have to take up the slack for your do-nothing-but-rant-on-Twatter unfortunate sorry excuse for a headship.  You have your daddy Boob to thank for that matchmaking failure.  Since you were considered his favorite, I would hate to see who your lost girl sisters end up with.  If you hadn't been such an insufferable little snitch as a child, I would almost feel sorry for you.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I have trouble with Cathy’s theory of who lives and dies in this world and what saves their lives. If we truly believed that, there would be no prisons to hold people who accidentally or intentionally kill others. ‘ They were instruments of His will’, after all.  

Now, do you ever see extreme  Christians say that the person who killed their loved one  shouldn’t be punished because ‘ it was just their time to go’? 

Me, I believe in free will.  Deaths happen for all sorts of reasons, a lot of it being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Should my loved one die at the hands of another- you bet I want justice here on earth. Jill and Derick didn’t seem to be ok with their friend in DA being murdered. Jill didn’t seem to be ok with things being Gods will in DA. 

If she was such a Christian, wouldn't she want to "go home" to Jesus? But, she didn't she went to the doctors. Any way, I'm with you.

• Love 5

Hmmm...I think Derick got a bad deal in the marriage game too. Jill acts like a teenage with her first crush and was so excited because a boy outside her family was actually giving her the time of day. Derick seemed to be okay until Jill got pregnant right away, clinging to him like there was no tomorrow, and the molestation scandal hit the fan. Yes, he is no great catch, but either is she.

Btw, maybe she does not have time to do a proper job with her nails because *gasp* she has to take care of her own children instead of expecting one or more of her sisters to babysit. Food for thought.

25 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I'm surprised Muffin can read the book at all. Her reading level is higher than I thought. And as for the nail polish, they do sell it at Dollar Tree. Sounds about Duggar speed. 

Some of the book reviews dismissed it as too simplistic, so it's probably about at Jilly Muffin's level of understanding apologetics. Come to think of it, the book was probably recommended to her by Jinger. It may well be her first foray into theology that doesn't come from the bible or a Wisdumb booklet. 

eta: I'm sure the nail job is left over from the wedding about 10 days ago. Her nails (both fingers and toes) looked freshly polished then.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

Perhaps this thread should be renamed The Derilect Files because this thread has been taken over by his asshattery. Yes, in my world it's a word best defined as "the act of being an asshat."

Edited by Punkadoo
Aye. Forgot the extra t in asshattery. Baking for kids school, nagging and typing do not mix.
  • Love 7

I've also used "asshattery" in a sentence. 

Now for some (more) damage control from Jill. Derelict plays cars with Izzy, and he's won the #bestpapa award! Whatevs, that's just being a dad, Jilly Muffin. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

I hate chipped nail polish. 

Jill always looks dirty to me.  Maybe she is super clean but she gives me the vibe that hygiene is not a priority to her. 

She looks dirty to me, too. So do Jessa and Joy and Mullet. Maybe it's their sloppy-ass hair. 

• Love 4

I googled the author and the book.  The reviews on Amazon are over 90% positive, because a lot of people tend to write positive reviews. Some people believe it is mean or unfair to leave negative reviews (in case it affects the author's reputation). Some authors have even bullied reviewers on Goodreads over a bad review.  It's possible many fundie Christians are the types to believe it's mean to leave a negative reviews. 

This author is a talk radio host who specializes into teaching his followers into defending their beliefs among atheists, Mormons, etc. by having verbal arguments.(Why Mormons? Ask him.) Anyway he probably would think Derick is right on with his Twitter account ministry. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick was already in college when his dad died, but he would have received monthly death benefits until he was 21 and possibly until he graduated. That money could have been put toward college to help reduce costs. Walmart might have provided a 'children of' scholarship, maybe even a sizable one with the agreement to work for them. From what I read, Walmart, like many companies, treats upper management much, much better than entry level and lower management employees. Being a cop, his dad may have had a hefty life insurance plan as well. Cathy may have used some of that for her boys college expenses as well.

Who provided the "monthly death benefits"?  My dad died when I was 17 and his social security stopped at my 18th birthday, regardless of the fact that I was still in high school.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Mollie said:

I've never seen anything to make me believe that they follow God's Biblical commandments.  To me, they seem to follow a cross between the Bill Gothard gospel and the Jim Bob Duggar gospel. Jim Bob's childhood church was Cross Church.  After marrying Michelle and having a few kids, he decided that the church was not good enough for him so he started a homechurch in his living room, comprised mostly of homeschooling families. (He lived right next door to Cross Church, in the little house where Josh's sexual molestations occurred.)  Homechurching with homeschooling families became one of the hallmarks of his religious beliefs.  Cross Church, on the other hand, started its own private Christian school, Shiloh Christian School.  Jim Bob Duggar was a member of that school's first graduating class in 1983.   

Sweeping yet true generalization alert:  Any time you hear about a "home church" being set up by anyone, unless that person feels a calling for ministry and is trying to get their feet wet before going to seek actual training, you can write it down:  That person in question, is setting up a "home church" solely because he/she has some sort of weird apostate belief that means they don't "fit in" with any nearby churches.  With all the churches and denominations that proliferate, there is absolutely no excuse to start your own church unless you have some odd doctrinaire goals that "aren't being met" by, you know, a real quantified denomination with decades of history behind it.  

Aside:  Sam looked very cute hoping to eat the police car.

• Love 12

Don't get me started on kids in nappies. I know a few teachers who teach in the 4-6 age range, and they say ever since more and more people started embracing the whole 'let kids toilet train when they decide they're ready for it' thing, more non-challenged kids show up every year in nappies and pull-ups, and don't even try going to the toilet. One of my friends had three in her class last year.

Jill seems like the type who'd let toilet training lag because it's too much effort.

• Love 4

Cute video. They almost seem like normal parents but we know what lurks below!  Seems like potty training has changed since mine were babies. First one was trained by two. Second one just wouldn’t and I didn’t want a battle. He was 3. It wasn’t because I didn’t want him to be but I didn’t want to fight either. Daughter in law let them all just figure it out and they were around 3ish. Her sisters kids were closer to 4. They are just 5 and 7 now. 

• Love 2

Are they still calling Derick "Papa"???

They lived in Danger America for a year or so.  It's not like they actually spoke Spanish but yet they are saying "papa" so we all know that they are "bilingual". 

I know people use all sorts of words for mother and father but this is so fake.  Derick has referred to his own father as "Dad" and Jill clearly calls Jim Bob "Daddy". This is just some showy-offy thing that they do...they are so very cool living "overseas" and everything.  (giggle giggle)

• Love 10
7 hours ago, queenanne said:

Sweeping yet true generalization alert:  Any time you hear about a "home church" being set up by anyone, unless that person feels a calling for ministry and is trying to get their feet wet before going to seek actual training, you can write it down:  That person in question, is setting up a "home church" solely because he/she has some sort of weird apostate belief that means they don't "fit in" with any nearby churches.  With all the churches and denominations that proliferate, there is absolutely no excuse to start your own church unless you have some odd doctrinaire goals that "aren't being met" by, you know, a real quantified denomination with decades of history behind it.  

I've met a few people who attended a home church, and I think this is true. I am sure there are exceptions like there is for everything, but for me, it's become a red flag. Even if they don't have any noticeably weird doctrine, it seems to indicate they can't get along with anybody, are control freaks, or have extremely rigid views that nobody can meet, which is why they set up shop at home. (I'm not counting things like the Amish, who from what I understand rotate between members' houses for services.)

I mentioned on here a few days ago that I went to a pretty conservative Christian college. There were a lot of fundamentalists there, but home churches still had a bad rap. One of my friends had a childhood that reminded me a bit of the Duggars--minus the tons of siblings. She was still pretty religious and still is, as far as I know, but she told me after her experience with home churches as a teenager that she practically runs from anyone who does that. 

Edited to add: I knew another family that also did a home church. They were very Duggar-like, including being a big family that homeschooled. When I first met them, they seemed really nice, but after I got to know them, they were unhinged. I felt so sorry for the kids (I was friends with the oldest sisters). I always think about them when I think about the Duggars. I lost contact with them, but from what I understand, every single one of them finally rebelled, even if they waited until about the age of 30. Not sure if any of the Duggars would actually revolt against Jim Bob like they did. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, kalamac said:

Don't get me started on kids in nappies. I know a few teachers who teach in the 4-6 age range, and they say ever since more and more people started embracing the whole 'let kids toilet train when they decide they're ready for it' thing, more non-challenged kids show up every year in nappies and pull-ups, and don't even try going to the toilet. One of my friends had three in her class last year.

Jill seems like the type who'd let toilet training lag because it's too much effort.

Not to get too far off topic, but I never understand parents like that. It's one thing if your child has a medical condition that can't be helped, but who the hell wants to be changing diapers on a five year-old? 

Regarding Jill and the nail polish, ugh. I hate chipped polish, it looks so sloppy and dirty. If my manicure starts to go, I just take the polish off and either put clear on or rub a little coconut oil into my nails to make them shine. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Mollie said:

You can see in that video that Israel is still wearing diapers.  He'll turn three-years-old in two months.  What's up with that?

My nephew is 3.5 and is still in diapers! I don't have kids yet( currently pregnant with Kid 1) , but I feel like that is old. My SIL says he has zero interest. I don't know what you do in that situation! The thought of changing almost 4 year old diaper messes makes me cringe therefore...we don't babysit LOL.  I think most people potty train between 2-3? So Izzy being almost 3 and in diapers isn't totally unheard of IMO. I wonder what the general age for potty training in the Duggar household was?

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Who provided the "monthly death benefits"?  My dad died when I was 17 and his social security stopped at my 18th birthday, regardless of the fact that I was still in high school.

Social Security used to pay longer for survivors still in school. I can't remember when the change was made. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

My nephew is 3.5 and is still in diapers! I don't have kids yet( currently pregnant with Kid 1) , but I feel like that is old. My SIL says he has zero interest. I don't know what you do in that situation! The thought of changing almost 4 year old diaper messes makes me cringe therefore...we don't babysit LOL.  I think most people potty train between 2-3? So Izzy being almost 3 and in diapers isn't totally unheard of IMO. I wonder what the general age for potty training in the Duggar household was?

Boys, at least in my limited experience (two boy children and one girl) tend to take a bit longer. Our sons were both toilet trained shortly after they turned two, though still needed diapers or pull ups at night for about six  or seven months. And I don't know exactly what my husband said to our daughter, but he had a talk with her a couple of weeks before she turned two. We had just started toilet training, and she wasn't quite getting the idea, but she never needed a diaper or had a accident after that. I remember her pediatrician being very impressed when she came to her 2-year checkup in regular underwear, and noted on her chart, " T.T. already!". She always was a bit of a perfectionist, and always wanted to be able to do everything that her brother (22 months older) could do, so maybe that was part of her motivation.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
because brothers may be a bother, but they are still different words.
  • Love 9

From social security website 

If you are the unmarried child under 18 (up to age 19 if attending elementary or secondary school full time) of a worker who dies, you can be eligible to receive Social Security survivors benefits. And you can get benefits at any age if you were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, queenanne said:

I think some do it as a tax dodge?

• Love 6

My daughters were toilet trained at 3 and ready and easy. My grandson was more than 3 and it was far more challenging. At 5 he was still having nighttime accidents but by 5 1/2 he had overcome that. I found it frustrating but boys can just take longer I guess. I'm thinking my 16 month old granddaughter will be easy too. Once she gets a dirty diaper she wants it off immediately!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

In theory nothing. But it seems to be a hold over from their mangled Spanglish that they used in Central America. While I am all for speaking multiple languages, I find that the way Jill throws around a Spanish word here or there is more for show and to try to indicate her status or intelligence. I grew up with Russian speaking relatives and spoke it along with English from an early age. Most of the time my grandmother, great grandmother, and even mother would say something to me in English and then in Russian. They didn't just throw Russian words into English sentences. From an educational standpoint it can make for a mess of teaching sentence structure and conversational skills in any language if you do it the way the Dillards were doing. 

Maybe they just think it is cute. It just strikes me as strange because regionally Papa is usually used more as a term of endearment for a grandfather in that part of the south than for one's father. 

Usually PawPaw in the south.  I haven't heard many Papas.  Although  we called my old Jewish Grandfather Papa when he was alive.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, XrystalPond said:

But it seems to be a hold over from their mangled Spanglish that they used in Central America.

Just add it to the list of the many things they are confused about.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

She needs to stop wearing cheap ass dollar store polish, that might help. I have good nails, really hard and thick, so maybe I'm just super lucky this way, and I only buy OPI polish, but I currently have on the same polish I've had on for going on 2 weeks and only 1 nail is showing any signs of chipping and that's because I was scrubbing stuff with a Brilo pad the other day and it got buggered up. It's a pale pink color so I haven't rushed to change it yet, but you can barely even tell. I'll probably change it out tonight or tomorrow, but Jill's nails are just a disaster. If you're going to do red, they need to look damn near perfect or it just looks trashy. 

• Love 8

Using only one or two coats of cheap polish without base or top coat definitely results in rapid chipping.  Maybe no one has ever explained to her that it's very much a 10 year old experimenting with polish look.

• Love 4