Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

His father did attend the same university and was PP. Also, Derick was part of the marching band. I have no idea if that would have entitled him to a free ride. Why is Jill taking the seminar? She is such a freaking clinger. Is she afraid Derelict will be defrauded during class. Such a waste of money when Jilly won’t retain nor understand the material.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:
 How about you complain when you have served in the military or the National Guard?  Your notion that it's your way or the highway is one of the reasons America was founded.  I might not agree with it.  But we do have a right to voice and show our opinion dumbarse.
  • Love 9

I know some band kids who have gotten some pretty great scholarships. (Not where he went but still.) I taught college comp as a TA and had a student in band who basically made money going to college. Granted, she was really talented and played multiple instruments. 

• Love 2

I believe Derick's tweet is telling Dave Ramsey that he will be TEACHING the FPU course to the staff. 

It is common for churches to offer the class.    Derick is saying that he started listening 5 years ago, indicating that he follows Dave Ramsey's principals. He is now "bringing it" to Cross Church staff. 

(Teaching consists of a leader who shows the DVD or goes through the workbooks etc)

• Love 2

I seem to remember that the Dqve Ramsey course is the same price for married couples or singles. Married couples share one set of materials- and they  attend together. Dave  says 1  budget and 1 pot of money.. both partners must work together and should both know what bills and income the household has. 

Teaching it does not require that you know any more than the participants.   There’s a teachers workbook and videos.  Our instructor knew little more than we did. Worked out fine. 

• Love 4

There are out of state tuition waivers for OSU that don’t seem to be difficult to obtain.  Being a legacy student seems to qualify you as long as you have a decent HS GPA or SAT score.

Plus I could see Cathy and Derick applying for all the obscure scholarships out there, especially before his freshman year.  His father was a cop and I know there are specific, well-funded scholarships for children of law enforcement.

Even though his father didn’t die on duty, I believe he was an active cop at the time.  That would likely unlock even more scholarships for Derick, plus he would have access to any vested pensions, retirement money, life insurance, etc.  I have no doubt his father dying young enabled Derick and Dan to finish college debt-free.

• Love 9

Derick was already in college when his dad died, but he would have received monthly death benefits until he was 21 and possibly until he graduated. That money could have been put toward college to help reduce costs. Walmart might have provided a 'children of' scholarship, maybe even a sizable one with the agreement to work for them. From what I read, Walmart, like many companies, treats upper management much, much better than entry level and lower management employees. Being a cop, his dad may have had a hefty life insurance plan as well. Cathy may have used some of that for her boys college expenses as well.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Derick was already in college when his dad died, but he would have received monthly death benefits until he was 21 and possibly until he graduated. That money could have been put toward college to help reduce costs. Walmart might have provided a 'children of' scholarship, maybe even a sizable one with the agreement to work for them. From what I read, Walmart, like many companies, treats upper management much, much better than entry level and lower management employees. Being a cop, his dad may have had a hefty life insurance plan as well. Cathy may have used some of that for her boys college expenses as well.

Yeah...having graduated college "debt-free" in no way means he had a full scholarship or paid his own way through with hard work and a tight budget. 

Nothing against parents paying for their kids' college educations if they are financially ale to do so - we always figured that the best step-up we could give our kids was the ability to get out of college without the weight of student loans hanging around their necks as they made their way into independent living.

Derelict hardly seems to be living a life which speaks of gratitude for his education or any drive and initiative to make something of it.

• Love 21

Have they already blown through all of Jill's TLC money, not to mention People covers, etc?

I hope so. Reality might begin to leak in.

1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Derelict hardly seems to be living a life which speaks of gratitude for his education or any drive and initiative to make something of it.

Did you know he was Pistol Pete? Huh? Huh? See, 4 years well spent.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Do tell...

He’s the CEO of his family, duh! (Unfortunately I have seen many stay at home parents list this as their job title on social media) But he also claims to have been working since he was 5, so basically being able to wipe ones own ass qualifies as having a job in his world. 

• Love 21
23 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Those people who are kneeling are also Americans.  They are Americans who want to be treated as such, instead of second class citizens.  You unbelievably hypocritical moron. 

They have a job Dumbshit Dillard.  More than anyone can say for you and your fucking grifting family!  Go henna something, suck on a pickle, pierce a nose, whatever just SHUT THE FUCK UP!

• Love 15

I passionately despise Dave Ramsey. 

Derick can learn even more tricks with Ramsey! 

#1 Do as I say, not as I do.

If anyone is interested, we had serious financial problems.  Many of my friends have taken Ramsey's class. So I got his books and read up. 80% of his advice did not work at all. Zero.  We actually called one of his financial advisers (for a free session) and that person had no knowledge of anything really.  They didn't even really understand the questions nor could they help with anything. We got a free trial appointment but Ramsey has scammers charging people to "help" them. 

Chapters and chapters on the sin of declaring bankruptcy. Well, well, well...seems Ramsey has a bankruptcy in his past. But that was before he knew Jesus. 

Ramsey is perfect for Derick.  

• Love 20
17 hours ago, Mollie said:

FPU stands for Financial Peace University.  It's a course taught by Dave Ramsey about investing money.  Why was Derick interested in this while working as a tour guide in Nepal?  Because money interests him more than ministry.  

Doncha have to have money to invest?  Oh yeah, they have taken money from people who probably don't have 2 nickels to rub together.

• Love 6

Wow! Just wow! I cannot believe someone would say that to the parents who lost their five year son. If it was me, they would have needed medical care once I got my hands on them. Reminds me of when my husband told me his one sister would have caused a scene at his mother's funeral if I shown up. Klassy with a capital K! I have joked about if my sister-in-law died a mysterious death that I would be at the top of the suspect list.

I think God has given people a mind, conscious and talents. To me, it is up to the person to use said conscious and talents to the best of his or her abilities. In the case of Cathy, she got medical care from a group of doctors who use their talents in order to help people heal emotionally and physically. Yes God played a role in getting her into remission, but he was not the only factor in the whole show.

7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I was just going to mention life insurance.

• Love 5

I have trouble with Cathy’s theory of who lives and dies in this world and what saves their lives. If we truly believed that, there would be no prisons to hold people who accidentally or intentionally kill others. ‘ They were instruments of His will’, after all.  

Now, do you ever see extreme  Christians say that the person who killed their loved one  shouldn’t be punished because ‘ it was just their time to go’? 

Me, I believe in free will.  Deaths happen for all sorts of reasons, a lot of it being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Should my loved one die at the hands of another- you bet I want justice here on earth. Jill and Derick didn’t seem to be ok with their friend in DA being murdered. Jill didn’t seem to be ok with things being Gods will in DA. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6

The Dillards' taking Financial Peace University is rich (pun intended!). My understanding is that you lay bare your financials for everyone in the group - your current income, your current debts, and how much you have in savings. Again, I think it is all current financials. Derick would not have to answer, for example, what he did with the Dillard Family Ministry Money. 

Ramsey has a pretty strict formula for how you save. I don't see Derick, who always has to be glib, giving straightforward answers to what their current financials are and how they are used.

I wonder if that class has the most participants ever as others in the church want to know their financial business.

Ramsey's daughter, Rachel Cruz, also makes a living by counseling Christian couples on their finances. I don't know how the Duggar patriarchal beliefs will fit in, nor do I know how FPU addresses it, but I know Cruz would say it is vital both husband and wife have a joint plan on their finances.

This is delicious. Derick's taking this class is a huge misstep for him. Hopefully this sets him on a path of reckoning with respect to honesty, humility, etc. 

I imagine Cross Church is having a hard time with Derick. 

• Love 11

Jill and Derick seem to think people in DA were heathens and needed to be saved. They may have been sad about their friend being murdered, but they seem to think if the gangs found God they would turn into good people and crime especially violent crimes would go downhill. Nice way of thinking, but violent dangerous criminals do not think this way. In otherwords, Jill and Derick are naïve about how the real world runs especially if they think handing out bibles, praying, and trying to turn gangs to their way of thinking will get rid of all the evilness in the world. It did not prevent Josh molesting his sisters more than once or stop him from being a lying, cheating scumbag.

I told y'all my Dave Ramsey story, right? TL/DR I applied for a copywriting job there and was turned down when I had a lukewarm response to the prospect of participating in the worship service they have every Wednesday morning at the office. It was made very clear that's why I was turned down, too. I'd just recently moved back to this country after 20 years in Europe and I was in total shock. I thought it was illegal to so blatantly discriminate against a prospective employee based on their religious beliefs.

Guess what, folks? It ain't.

It's frowned upon, sure, because it makes you a piece of shit person. 

But it's 100% legal. Believe me, I checked. I have no doubt it would be trickier to enforce if it was going the other way (e.g. I won't hire you because you ARE Christian), but it wouldn't be illegal.

So yes, the Douchelords have found their financial hero in Dave Ramsey for sure.

• Love 24

I thought he was a leader of the cross church group, or something. It seems like something he volunteered to do if he does get paid it's probably minimum wage. Also, if he's sick of people asking him to get a job why not just say exactly what his job is.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I thought he was a leader of the cross church group, or something. It seems like something he volunteered to do if he does get paid it's probably minimum wage. Also, if he's sick of people asking him to get a job why not just say exactly what his job is.

This way he can play the victim card and hide behind his religious beliefs while doing so.

The Dave Ramsey course sounds just like the Gothard Financial Freedom Seminar that Jim Bob Duggar touted.  He took that course and then ended up teaching it to small groups and charging them admission fees. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I imagine Cross Church is having a hard time with Derick. 

They should be very motivated to 'graduate' Derick and send him on  a mission a few states away. He must filly feel like the Big Man On Campus he always wished he was elsewhere in life.  

Spoiler

Everybody there but Jill has had enough of his shit.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 5

What IS his job?

He is training at Cross Church to be a God Botherer aka missioncationer.

Is that C3 thing a paying job? how does that support a family? 

I don't even understand what he is trying to pretend to do for a job.          Seriously. 

• Love 13

It is puzzling because he started out like an average guy. Now?  He is really a mess. 

Unless he was always a mess and Cathy propped him up. Once he married, he faltered and succumbed to his true lazy self, without his mommy there for him.

You can even see it now. cathy is always defending him, spouting off and poking into his life. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Trillium said:

I don’t attend church often, I have faith but I have a problem with a lot of tenants of organized religion. A few weeks back I went to a service  and there was a guest preacher. He was African American and while most of what he said was on race  relations (it was excellent) he spoke on a passage from Matthew, taking about when Jesus returns. Basically to summarize the first thing he does is people are put in two categories, those who helped those in need, and those who had not. Those who helped the needy, enter the kingdom. “For whatever you did for the least of these, you did onto me” He does not come and give a Bible quiz, ask for church attendance records, or look at people’s finances, sexual orientation, race, political leanings, gender preference, and all the other things the Duggars and their ilk make them think Jesus loves them most. Nope. All he wants to know is it you helped those who were hungry, thirsty, in need. He also does not qualify that such help come with an asterisk that they be given tracts or try to be converted. 

It wasa profound sermon on what really is the only thing that Christianity should about, which is ironic because people of other faiths/non-faith are better at this concept than people who call themselves Christian.

I don’t think for all his mission work, Derek and the Duggars have actually truly helped someone in need. The only thing they do is hand out trinkets and act superior. 

I totally agree with you.  Christianity should be all about Christ and his example.  It isn't for the Duggars, Dilliards, etc.  Its all about the Old Testament for them.  They say its all about accepting Jesus into your heart and then totally ignore all He ever taught in favor of Old Testament law.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Mollie said:

The Dave Ramsey course sounds just like the Gothard Financial Freedom Seminar that Jim Bob Duggar touted.  He took that course and then ended up teaching it to small groups and charging them admission fees. 

I hate to give JB ANY credit, but for him, this was a decent idea. The average person who doesn't know much about him would look at him and think, "ooooh, he feeds and clothes 19 kids! Maybe he can teach me a thing or two about stretching out money!" But Derick? A loser who hasn't only had one legit job in his life, for a year? And was given a TLC check for basically doing nothing? Who would want to come to a class about mishandling money taught by him? I seriously bet any normal person in that class could give way better tips about money than Derick ever could!

• Love 10