Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I think Derick was 'asked' to consider other employment options when he was at WalMart due to his habitual absence from work. He seemed to have to take a lot of time off for the TV show. I'm sure that disrupted his co-workers and the job that they all had to do. His departure was suspect due to it's timing, after Jill's awful delivery, his surgery was quickly done after that, (while still insured by WalMart)..then he 'quits' so fast? If WalMart asked him to resign, I can understand that 100%.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I've always wondered if there is a Very Special Wisdom Booklet just for the Uteros called, "So Your Headship is a Moron..." (subtitle "Suck It Up...Girls Are Not Here To Think!")

I want to love this 100 times!  It's perfect.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cdp73 said:

Does anyone else think Derick didn't so much quit Walmart as he was asked to resign since Jill was such a clinger after their wedding?

Yes, I do. Derick left at his one year anniversary when he would have received a review, and he might also have been on probation for the first year. I think that they cut him an enormous amount of slack because of the wedding, Jill's pregnancy, his mother's illness, etc., and I'm sure that they liked and respected Cathy and wanted to give her son a fair shake, but in the end there are plenty of other kids with accounting degrees who don't expect weeks off to shoot a reality show, and time off to go to NYC for People photo shoots, etc.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

In any case, even knowing all the letters doesn't necessarily mean a lot. My older son, through a combination of Sesame Street and a alphabet place-mat that we regularly used and played with during meals, knew all his letters, upper and lower case by 18 months. We assumed he would be a pretty early reader, but it actually took him quite a long time to actually "get" what they were actually for. My daughter was not nearly as precocious with learning the letters, but, much more than her brother, liked following along in a book when being read to, and more or less taught herself to read by the time she started school. Apparently I was the same way; my mother says she had no idea when I learned to read. She just assumed I was memorizing books that were read to me, but by the time I was about four she realized that I WAS actually reading the words.

I get what you're saying.  Possessing the ability to identify letters at a very early age is a relatively isolated skill that may or may not translate into early reading. II a child has a genuine sound association for most letters he or she knows, it CAN (but won't necessarily) translate into the skills of encoding (spelling/writing) or decoding words. Without any context attached to the letter, however, the kid might just as well be learning NFL insignias for all the good it will do in terms of helping him to actually read.  What DOES tend to cause many children to become early readers is spending a lot of time with books.  My parents read to all of my siblings and to me, but two of us read independently before kindergarten and two of us didn't.  We're all within a standard deviation in terms of intelligence, but two of us loved books and devoted a considerable amount of spare time attempting to make sense of the print, and two of us didn't. 

I'm curious as to whether or not Izzy actually is able to identify letters  mostly  in relation to the issue of his future home-schooling experience.  Would Jill be lame enough to think the child knew the letters because he could recite the alphabet?  The learning of letters and corresponding sounds is an obvious component of teaching a child to read who hasn't read spontaneously.  A good teacher should approach the instruction of reading from both ends, as in using both a holistic approach of learning to read by reading, but also by teaching phonetic skills and sight vocabulary so that the child has additional tools in his literary arsenal with which to attack words or for use in cross-checking when reading.  I doubt that anyone in Jill's family has a clue about any of this, though.  Have we ever seen evidence on the show of literacy where any of the Howlers were concerned?

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Possibly because some long-since-squelched feelings are battling against the 'God will protect you if ...' brainwashing that she was brought up with. 

Well, the way I was always raised to excuse/exclude it was the ironic "Yes, we absolutely think God will protect you in every way... but we absolutely think it's possible to tick God off by "testing him", by your making stupid decisions he clearly wouldn't approve of and trying his patience/fund of go(o)dwill."  Sort of a sideline of "Yes, we think God will protect you... but we're not absolutely sure, and we're certainly not absolutely sure in any way that would mean that you are doing something that We, The Parents, don't think you ought to engage in, because we're the umbrella and headship and God speaks only through us.  Plus, what you want to do really goes against what we want you to do."

6 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I've always wondered if there is a Very Special Wisdom Booklet just for the Uteros called, "So Your Headship is a Moron..." (subtitle "Suck It Up...Girls Are Not Here To Think!")

To be fair, for centuries women were encouraged, usually by their mothers, to marry stupid men for other reasons (such as financial security), and then to "manage" them as best they could with feminine wiles, so I doubt this would be surprising to the fundie mindset of all others.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, queenanne said:

To be fair, for centuries women were encouraged, usually by their mothers, to marry stupid men for other reasons (such as financial security), and then to "manage" them as best they could with feminine wiles, so I doubt this would be surprising to the fundie mindset of all others.

'Pride and Prejudice' has a classic example of this: Hello, Charlotte Lucas! 

• Love 10

It's also not "literally growing exponentially" unless she means to use literally for emphasis. 

(To be pedantic, they didn't have twins, so their family grew linearly (Derek + Jill + Izzy + Sam) and their kids ... well, it's too early to tell because it's just Izzy + Sam.)

I think it's one thing to snark on their public person persona because they put that out there. But there's gotta be some tact when dealing with them personally. The anonymity of the internet shouldn't excuse people from being rude.

• Love 18

When I send a tweet, I generally don't expect an answer...that being said, when people engage others on Twitter in a confrontational manner and then get shocked and shaken when the person doesn't cower or respond with puppies and rainbows, I kind of giggle; even when I don't like those involved. 

These people despise so much about me that there's no way we'd ever find common ground but the venom sent their way only entrenches them in their martyrdom (if they believe in martyrs since that's a very Catholic thing).

• Love 4

The tweet from Colleen was rude, I think Derick  did well in his reply 

Has there been anymore news or pics about Jill and Sam? Stooped work interrupting precious snark time means I miss a lot of news 

• Love 6
(edited)

The Tweet from the woman was rude. Two kids with a two year gap in between is very much average. 

I don't like Jill, but I would never make a remark like that to a family who's baby just spent a week in the NICU.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 23
13 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Welp.

All that talk about Danger America is grossly exaggerated and insulting to a lot of people who work with the same ministry Jill and Derek work with. I made a new friend at the local coffee shop today. I spoke to her because she was wearing an SOS Ministries shirt and I knew about the involvement of the Duggars and Dillards with that organization. She is VERY upset with the Dillies because of how grossly they have misrepresented the area and their experience. She's met them, worked alongside them for months at a time and shared quite a few tidbits. 

1)  The Dillards live inside a gated community in Danger America and there are armed guards who protect the whole area 24/7.

2)  There is a Walmart nearby with everything you can get at a Walmart here and more.

3)  There is a Pizzahut within walking distance.

4)  They are in a touristy area where tons of other Americans (and world travelers) are. 

5)  They get all the free babysitting they could possibly ask for.

6)  People cook and clean for Jill and Derek and Izzy because they are "celebrities" and fascinate the locals.

7)  Jill's "mission work" includes being taught Spanish at home and visiting people to remind them to donate what they don't use or need.

8)  Derek's "mission work" includes walking to and from Spanish class, playing ball with the other volunteers, and showing people how to highlight their bibles.

9)  There is a nice hospital/clinic nearby with several American doctors.

10)  Yes, violence does happen but it's no different than violence here in the states and very rare in that area.

11)  Wi-Fi has never been an issue for this woman and neither has a cell phone signal.

12)  Jill doesn't cook much and they are always invited somewhere to eat or have people cook for them anyway. They use disposable everything.

13)  There are several decent restaurants and pharmacies within walking distance. 

14)  Jill was asked to manage a community closet of clothing donations and declined because her Spanish studies are too important.

15)  Derek does not write sermons, he reads the sermons the pastor writes and checks them for accuracy. 

This is the main stuff I remembered. I'm seeing her again for Brunch this weekend so I will get more scoop if I can. :)

Also, I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I really think that Derek might be a little bit slow. I hate to say that, but watching him demonstrate gluttony/pretend to eat all the food ever and listening to him talk ... he just seems to be a few eggs short of a dozen. It could just be nerves from being in front of the camera or just all around discomfort or something . . . but he's very strange.

if this is all true, i find it fascinating. how we all have been duped. 

• Love 12
(edited)
10 minutes ago, zoomama said:

if this is all true, i find it fascinating. how we all have been duped. 

I don't think anyone here has been duped. We know they don't do shit down there. If this is all true, it's their fans and those stupid enough to hit the now "Help Our Ministry" button who have been totally (tm Jill) taken for a ride.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 19
(edited)

I think a lot of these points are corroborated by other evidence and footage from the show. What's sad us that they STILL don't speak Spanish well, in spite of direct immersion and study. For Jill to still be depressed and terrified after living in an armed compound really says something.

I like totally believe the everything is disposable part, and the enslaving if locals to do chores. It's how Jill was raised.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 22
10 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

I think a lot of these points are corroborated by other evidence and footage from the show. What's sad us that they STILL don't speak Spanish well, in spite of direct immersion and study. For Jill to still be depressed and terrified after living in an armed compound really says something.

I like totally believe the everything is disposable part, and the enslaving if locals to do chores. It's how Jill was raised.

I'm torn on whether it feels legitimate or not...in some ways it's almost TOO close to all the snark and speculation. Or maybe I've been giving them a bit of benefit of the doubt when it comes to that because it starts to feel as though we can't give them credit for doing anything without picking it apart. I don't know whether I'd prefer it to be true as vindication of the things we have been saying, or deeply troubled that snark, which by its nature is a bit of an exaggeration, could hit so close to the truth.

• Love 5
(edited)
51 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

All that talk about Danger America is grossly exaggerated and insulting to a lot of people who work with the same ministry Jill and Derek work with. I made a new friend at the local coffee shop today. I spoke to her because she was wearing an SOS Ministries shirt and I knew about the involvement of the Duggars and Dillards with that organization. She is VERY upset with the Dillies because of how grossly they have misrepresented the area and their experience. She's met them, worked alongside them for months at a time and shared quite a few tidbits. 

How very Christian of this missionary to gossip like this to a stranger. 

Eta: not that I could stop myself from listening if someone were to tell me tidbits about the Duggars. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 14

I believe the cooking, cleaning, babysitter and restaurant parts.  We knew about the compound and Walmart.

But if they were literally doing nothing, wouldn't SOS have kicked them to the curb by now?  At least Derick has got to bring some value to the program and the blogs the Dillard's write tend to allude to Derick running around DA without Jill trying to convert various heathens.  I could possibly see Jill turning down the community closet if approached by someone who wasn't affiliated with SOS but worked closely with them on a day to day basis.  Otherwise why is SOS still signing the paychecks/providing the compound?

• Love 4

I believe the woman. Not sharing her name. She has photos of herself on Facebook working with some kids in what appears to be a garden and you can see Derick holding a football laughing in the background. He has long hair and a man-bun or ponytail, don't know which. There are other photos that show her gardening and you can see Derick standing at a grill talking to someone or holding a basketball in a couple of shots. The pics she has with Jill in the background show Jill sitting on what looks like a stack of concrete blocks with a wood piece across it to make a bench and she's holding a little girl on her lap. In another, Jill is laughing and talking to someone who is handing off Walmart shopping bags to someone in the back of a truck. 

This woman said it's very upsetting and very harmful to the ministry to perpetuate rumors about safety. They've seen a decline in volunteers because people are scared or have the wrong idea about how secure the missionaries actually are.  She said no place on the planet is 100% safe, but she feels safer in Danger America as a missionary than she would feel walking around in any big US city after dark. 

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

How very Christian of this missionary to gossip like this to a stranger. 

This is probably why I'm doubting, not that I think a Christian wouldn't gossip, but there is no way I would share like that to someone I met in a coffee shop 

i need need sleep I don't know how much I trust my brain at the moment 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

She said many NICE things about both Jill and Derick. But she was very adamant about it not being as dangerous there are they've made it sound and she chalked it up to television drama, but still insisted that it was doing the ministry no favors to portray it that way.

I am genuinely interested in the nice things she had to say about Jill & Derick.

• Love 8

I don't believe the bit about the locals being awed by their celebrity. At all. It makes zero sense and it's not like Derick or Jill have the charisma to attract a following of any kind. Grain of salt with everything else, but since SOS is a trash organization even if it's all true I don't exactly sympathize with her outrage. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Welp.

1)  The Dillards live inside a gated community in Danger America and there are armed guards who protect the whole area 24/7.

2)  There is a Walmart nearby with everything you can get at a Walmart here and more.

3)  There is a Pizzahut within walking distance.

4)  They are in a touristy area where tons of other Americans (and world travelers) are. 

5)  They get all the free babysitting they could possibly ask for.

6)  People cook and clean for Jill and Derek and Izzy because they are "celebrities" and fascinate the locals.

7)  Jill's "mission work" includes being taught Spanish at home and visiting people to remind them to donate what they don't use or need.

8)  Derek's "mission work" includes walking to and from Spanish class, playing ball with the other volunteers, and showing people how to highlight their bibles.

9)  There is a nice hospital/clinic nearby with several American doctors.

10)  Yes, violence does happen but it's no different than violence here in the states and very rare in that area.

11)  Wi-Fi has never been an issue for this woman and neither has a cell phone signal.

12)  Jill doesn't cook much and they are always invited somewhere to eat or have people cook for them anyway. They use disposable everything.

13)  There are several decent restaurants and pharmacies within walking distance. 

14)  Jill was asked to manage a community closet of clothing donations and declined because her Spanish studies are too important.

15)  Derek does not write sermons, he reads the sermons the pastor writes and checks them for accuracy. 

This is the main stuff I remembered. I'm seeing her again for Brunch this weekend so I will get more scoop if I can. :)

Also, I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I really think that Derek might be a little bit slow. I hate to say that, but watching him demonstrate gluttony/pretend to eat all the food ever and listening to him talk ... he just seems to be a few eggs short of a dozen. It could just be nerves from being in front of the camera or just all around discomfort or something . . . but he's very strange.

The bolded part of the list has actually been shown on Counting On. And #15 doesn't make sense; Derick doesn't read/speak Spanish nor would he be an expert in an English or Spanish sermon's accuracy. Other than #14 the rest feels similar to PTV speculation. 

Maybe Derick could check it for accuracy.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Christians gossip better than heathens. Trust me. :)

I believe that, because that is what I used to hear at work, from "Christian Women."

Judgemental?  You bet!  If you weren't on board with their beliefs, you were fodder for gossip and disparagement.

• Love 12

Took a break to walk my dogs.

What she said that was NICE about the Dillards is that they both have so much patience with the kids. She said they've very gentle in how they address the children and that even with a language barrier, it gets results because they have an ability to comfort/calm children. She said they are both very down to earth and not really "celebrity-like" even though a lot of people there seem to believe that they're huge celebrities since they've been on television so long and so often. She said they were diligent about showing up for church and would stay to talk to the people who wanted to talk through translators. Jill likes to love on any babies that come to church and if a baby is fussy she will volunteer to help soothe the baby if the mom is okay with that. Some people thought she was a doctor because she would listen to pregnant women's stomachs at a clinic but the ministry set people straight that she wasn't a doctor. She said that Jill rarely wears makeup and almost always had her hair braided or up and out of the way. Jill always wears skirts, but wore tank tops sometimes and didn't seem to judge any of the women who wore pants. Stuff like that.

• Love 24
5 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

What she said that was NICE about the Dillards is that they both have so much patience with the kids. She said they've very gentle in how they address the children and that even with a language barrier, it gets results because they have an ability to comfort/calm children. She said they are both very down to earth and not really "celebrity-like" even though a lot of people there seem to believe that they're huge celebrities since they've been on television so long and so often. She said they were diligent about showing up for church and would stay to talk to the people who wanted to talk through translators. Jill likes to love on any babies that come to church and if a baby is fussy she will volunteer to help soothe the baby if the mom is okay with that. Some people thought she was a doctor because she would listen to pregnant women's stomachs at a clinic but the ministry set people straight that she wasn't a doctor. She said that Jill rarely wears makeup and almost always had her hair braided or up and out of the way. Jill always wears skirts, but wore tank tops sometimes and didn't seem to judge any of the women who wore pants. Stuff like that.

I wonder how Jill's interaction and "loving on" the local kids compares to her interactions with Izzy..

• Love 5
2 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

I believe the woman. Not sharing her name. She has photos of herself on Facebook working with some kids in what appears to be a garden and you can see Derick holding a football laughing in the background. He has long hair and a man-bun or ponytail, don't know which. There are other photos that show her gardening and you can see Derick standing at a grill talking to someone or holding a basketball in a couple of shots. The pics she has with Jill in the background show Jill sitting on what looks like a stack of concrete blocks with a wood piece across it to make a bench and she's holding a little girl on her lap. In another, Jill is laughing and talking to someone who is handing off Walmart shopping bags to someone in the back of a truck. 

This woman said it's very upsetting and very harmful to the ministry to perpetuate rumors about safety. They've seen a decline in volunteers because people are scared or have the wrong idea about how secure the missionaries actually are.  She said no place on the planet is 100% safe, but she feels safer in Danger America as a missionary than she would feel walking around in any big US city after dark. 

It's likely very upsetting to the ministry to have its members gossipping about other members as well.

• Love 1

Some people thought she was a doctor because she would listen to pregnant women's stomachs at a clinic but the ministry set people straight that she wasn't a doctor.

Not Jill, THE MINISTRY. Of course.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, IntoTheMystic said:

If Jill really was wearing tank tops sometimes, that would actually be something mildly interesting about her.

• Love 10