Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Ok. So, I read the book Jim Bob gave Josh on his wedding day. There's no way Jill didn't know everything in that book from her midwifery training. I d o nth know if they kissed pre wedding, but I doubt Derek was a total virgin on his wedding night. He probably pulled a "spiritually virgin heart" move, asking God to restore his virginity later. I have a feeling they both knew what to do.

• Love 1

I watched Jill and Derick's pregnancy announcement video and can't get over how surprised and shocked they claim to be. Did no one explain to them that unprotected sex leads to babies? How does Jill think she got all those brothers and sisters? Derick also said something about them not "trying." Newsflash, Derick. You canoodle condomless, you are either trying or you are in need of some basic sex ed. When I learned I was pregnant, I was neither surprised nor shocked. I knew it was possible and was simply happy.

These people either have sex everyday or are really aware of menstrual cycles so they know when to have sex, IMO. I don't buy that all the "blessings" are such "surprises" that they welcome with open arms because God willed it.

Well what would you expect? Jill has never been allowed to kiss a guy, much less anything further before marrying Derek. I doubt those Duggar daughters are even allowed to masturbate. Hell, they probably don't even know what the word means. Michelle would probably burst into flames if she had to have an actual sex talk with her kids. Maybe not all of the kids are like that, but most normal adults in their 20's have some serious hormone action going on.

Masturbating is not the kind of thing one asks permission for, lol. But like someone said above, where would they have the privacy? Also, would they even know women can masturbate or how?

• Love 1

That was fast. I'm not surprised; I am a little sad for Jill. There's something about that first year of marriage you can't get back. Being that she and Derek were long distance, then a whirlwind courtship and fast wedding, adding the stress of pregnancy and a child within the first years makes me worry about their chances of a healthy, happy union. I hope they prove my fears wrong.

But, did anyone else catch the bit about Jill having already taken 2 negative tests? WtF? So, let's do the math. Even if she was circulating during the wedding, that means she took a test 2 weeks after the wedding and then again a month later. I just don't get the constant testing. If you are pregnant, waiting to actually miss your period by a week won't hurt the baby. There's no advantage to knowing before you even miss a cycle. If she's only got "a few weeks" until a gender screen, I'm guessing she's in her third month. I wonder if they know that it's not even necessary to have an u/s for gender screening? WHY are rushing all of these important milestones?.

EDITED TO ADD:

Whoa, whoa, who@! If you read the E article, it says they announced the pregnancy less than 30 days after the wedding. WHY WAS JILL DOING MULTIPLE PREGNANCY TESTS 30 DAYS IN?

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 2

Good gosh they got pregnant quickly! I wanted them to at least have a little bit of time to themselves (a good many months at least without being pregnant) to just be married!

Ahh well, very unlikely in the Duggar world, isn't it?

• Love 1

Masturbating is not the kind of thing one asks permission for, lol. But like someone said above, where would they have the privacy? Also, would they even know women can masturbate or how?

That's more my point. I'm also sure if they were ever caught masturbating they'd be in for some serious trouble and get an earful about sinning and carnal pleasure and whatever religious buzzwords they have on the subject. It would be completely and totally frowned upon.

• Love 1

Just watched the People magazine video where Jill and Derick announced their pregnancy.  I had to laugh, he had his hand on her butt (the horror of it all!).

Please tell me why her sisters would be asking if she is pregnant so soon after they got married?!?!?!?   I would have said MYOB!  Good Lord, do you really need your whole family practically in your bedroom?!!?!

Yeah, big surprise.  Have sex and you might get pregnant.  Give me a break.

Jill has worn thin for me.  Still like Derrick, though.

• Love 5

Please tell me why her sisters would be asking if she is pregnant so soon after they got married?!?!?!? I would have said MYOB! Good Lord, do you really need your whole family practically in your bedroom?!!?

Jill has worn thin for me. Still like Derrick, though.

One of my SIL's was constantly asking me this as well - the eldest one! Little did she know we already were pregnant.

And then shr would call me every other day to see if the baby was ready. (Our daughter was more than a week late.)

I still don't get the need to know. None of my SILs give a damn abt their only brother. Even the Bitch-in-law can't be bothered w/her only son.

It's also strange when they say they leave it up to chance. Anyone leaving it to chance wouldn't be checking themselves obsessively to see if they are pregnant. Just be honest and say you were actively trying to get pregnant and have a child. Don't act shocked that what you wanted to happen happened. It's only shocking if you went out of the way to prevent it and then it happened anyway. 

It'd be like me saying I didn't care what grade I got on my test, but lo and behold I was actively studying and trying to get an A and I did! I'm shocked! 

• Love 11

I'm assuming they can go to the bathroom or take a shower without someone watching...and, going by personal experience, and as a female, somewhere along the line, it becomes obvious that some parts have a much different reaction than others when one is bathing or showering.

• Love 3

Ok, I'm not trying to get pregnant, but if I miss a period, I'm going to be actively testing. If I get a negative and still no period, I'm going to retest a few days later. And I'm going to repeat this until I either get my period or get a positive test. I don't see what the big deal is in Jill doing multiple tests? Or her sisters suggesting her take them. Chances are, she suspected it and told them and they encouraged her.

I didn't get the idea that they were trying for this baby. Sure, they are adults and they know how to avoid a pregnancy, but actively trying is something totally different, and I don't think they were doing that. I think Jim Bob and Michelle have that down to a science. That being said, even if they weren't trying to conceive, I'm sure they are thrilled to welcome a baby...their beliefs are that all babies are blessings.

[snip]

• Love 6

I will never do the gender reveal thing either. Somehow I think it's just another way to get more gifts before the actual shower or a way to get gifts with a second baby if it's uncouth to have another shower (if the second baby is the same sex or the kid comes 9 months after the first).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't into the gender reveal.  What ever happened to waiting for the baby to arrive and having a fun surprise? I didn't want to know, when I had my daughter. It was so fun to wait and find out.  Sister-in-law had the nursery all decorated for a boy months ahead. Personalized things with his name. By the time he was born we were all pretty much over it.  "Oh yeah, Billy's finally here. Okay."

Derick looks a little shell shocked at the pregnancy announcement.  As an accountant he's probably running the figures at how much kids are going to cost.  I was holding out hope that Jill would be influenced by Derick's family and want to wait.  Oh, well.  Here's to a healthy baby.

• Love 2

I thought the Benessa engagement on a Thursday night was odd, especially with the rant from Bens dad still fresh on everyone's mind, and I even initially thought Jill's pregnancy announcement was a little insensitive to letting Jessa have her day in the sun, especially when she essentially did the same thing with her courtship... But it occurred to me, what if Ben bumped up the proposal after hearing Jill caught a pregnancy, and it was a twisted fame-whorey attempt to steal the thunder of them announcing the pregnancy.

Also, if there are any Friends lovers on this board... I totally thought of the scene where Monica and Chandler get engaged and Rachel *almost* hooked up with Ross... And Monica told rachel "I hope you do get together, and I hope you get engaged... But just know when you do im going to announce I'm pregnant at your engagement" (something like that, I paraphrased out of sheer laziness)

• Love 1

Ok, I'm not trying to get pregnant, but if I miss a period, I'm going to be actively testing. If I get a negative and still no period, I'm going to retest a few days later. And I'm going to repeat this until I either get my period or get a positive test. I don't see what the big deal is in Jill doing multiple tests? Or her sisters suggesting her take them. Chances are, she suspected it and told them and they encouraged her.

I didn't get the idea that they were trying for this baby. Sure, they are adults and they know how to avoid a pregnancy, but actively trying is something totally different, and I don't think they were doing that. I think Jim Bob and Michelle have that down to a science. That being said, even if they weren't trying to conceive, I'm sure they are thrilled to welcome a baby...their beliefs are that all babies are blessings.

I think some of the criticisms of them are harsh.

The major criticisms summed up:

-They have jumped into parenthood too quickly given the fast and militant nature of their relationship. They haven't had time to establish a foundation to build a family on. 

-It's wrong for them to be "shocked" by a pregnancy as they were doing nothing to prevent it and we all know that it's been drilled into every Duggar kid's head that babies must be conceived as quickly and often as possible once married. 

-Jill should have waited until she was out of her first trimester to announce her pregnancy. 

-It was rude of Jill to upstage her sister and announce her pregnancy so soon after her sister's engagement. 

-J'chelle having a stash of pregnancy tests to give out on demand is creepy. 

-Jill will never have the opportunity to finish her midwife training having a baby so soon. 

-Gender reveal parties are over the top and unnecessary. 

Even given all of this, I would say that at least 90% of us (I include myself in this number) are happy for Jill and Derick and wish them only the very best with everything that parenthood brings. They seem like a sweet couple and will be good parents. 

• Love 12

That was fast. I'm not surprised; I am a little sad for Jill. There's something about that first year of marriage you can't get back. Being that she and Derek were long distance, then a whirlwind courtship and fast wedding, adding the stress of pregnancy and a child within the first years makes me worry about their chances of a healthy, happy union. I hope they prove my fears wrong.

But, did anyone else catch the bit about Jill having already taken 2 negative tests? WtF? So, let's do the math. Even if she was circulating during the wedding, that means she took a test 2 weeks after the wedding and then again a month later. I just don't get the constant testing. If you are pregnant, waiting to actually miss your period by a week won't hurt the baby. There's no advantage to knowing before you even miss a cycle. If she's only got "a few weeks" until a gender screen, I'm guessing she's in her third month. I wonder if they know that it's not even necessary to have an u/s for gender screening? WHY are rushing all of these important milestones?.

EDITED TO ADD:

Whoa, whoa, who@! If you read the E article, it says they announced the pregnancy less than 30 days after the wedding. WHY WAS JILL DOING MULTIPLE PREGNANCY TESTS 30 DAYS IN?

I guess if you have a contract with People to schedule a cover story the minute you see the little plus sign, you keep checking. What girl wouldn't?

• Love 6

Although the cake thing is at least less annoying then the "let's open up two squirt bottles of paint and spray them on each other to see what color it is and thereby which kind of child we're having."  Ugh.

Wait. People actually do that? 

That's more my point. I'm also sure if they were ever caught masturbating they'd be in for some serious trouble and get an earful about sinning and carnal pleasure and whatever religious buzzwords they have on the subject. It would be completely and totally frowned upon.

They would be sent immediately to Journey to the Heart or A.L.E.R.T.

I'm assuming they can go to the bathroom or take a shower without someone watching...and, going by personal experience, and as a female, somewhere along the line, it becomes obvious that some parts have a much different reaction than others when one is bathing or showering.

I grew up in a household of 8 children.  4 girls, 4 boys.  We shared rooms.  Where do you think we did the better part of our hormone releasing?  Let me tell you:  The Shower Massage by Waterpik gives the Power of GOOOD Clean Fun!

It sounded to me like Derick said "we weren't trying and weren't not".  Anyone?

So they were just fucking and whatever happened happened?

Ok, kick me outta here if you want.  I'm not ashamed.  And yes I still have my Waterpik.

Edited by Shugardrawers
  • Love 6

About the "weren't trying and weren't not" thing - before the first and maybe second pregnancy, a woman might not have any idea how fertile she is. In the dept of my own personal experience, I stopped taking the pill in Jan-Feb ish of 2008 and didn't track or not track, and just (I guess, I don't remember really thinking this all the way through) seeing what would happen. I got pregnant in May. After that baby was born, I stopped taking the pill again when she was about 4 months old in June, and neither tracked nor avoided, got pregnant in September. The following June, I began regular preventative measures as I do not feel myself called to a life of gestating. Anyway, the point here is that I had no idea that I would get pregnant so quickly (for anyone who cares, #3 and #4 were also conceived within months of stopping birth control, although I did pay a little more attention to the calendar those times), and I'd assume that they meant the same. Yeah, they're probably not using any preventative measures except maybe the calendar, but they just weren't expecting a successful docking of the space shuttle on the first try. Also, my understanding is that a lot of women do know when they're ovulating and thus know when to solicit or avoid, depending (lol), but I've never been able to tell. So, that might be their situation too, especially if (and other things that aren't my business) Jill doesn't have super regular cycles.

Also in the department of soooo not my business, once they announce a due date, that may shed some light on how quickly they really did get down to business on the honeymoon.

• Love 2

Have to say, when you've been fooling around and you miss your period, you start taking pregnancy tests, so her taking tests doesn't surprise me. Also, she said she took a couple, it could have been the day before - in fact probably was, maybe even that morning.

I also think that while they are happy with the news, they look a little shell shocked.  They weren't using protection, but they weren't timing her cycle either is my guess.

• Love 1

Wander Woman- what book did Boob give Josh? Was it a mainstream book about sex on a wedding night? I'm surprised it wasn't a Gothard written manual LOL.

There's an entire series.

"Before the Wedding Night" was the first checked out. Then there's, "Intended for Pleasure". I was curious when I watched the Josh and Anna wedding and saw them listening to the CD version.

We got People mag and Jill looks a lot more than 2 months preggers.

I'm sure we'll get another "big" announcement of twins in the not-too-distant-future. Maybe right around the time of Jessa's actual wedding? Gotta keep stealing that thunder!

• Love 4

Please tell me why her sisters would be asking if she is pregnant so soon after they got married?!?!?!?

Because they have baby fever and are excited for their sister.

Ok, I'm not trying to get pregnant, but if I miss a period, I'm going to be actively testing. If I get a negative and still no period, I'm going to retest a few days later.

EXACTLY! We don't know the timing of the "two negative tests and then a push from her sisters to take another that was positive" story.  Both my sister and my cousin were over a week late with their period and getting negative tests that whole time before they got positive tests.  So let's say she's a newlywed, not on birth control, having a pretty active/fun honeymoon (maybe "timed" to coincide with her ovulation, but maybe just happens to be around the same time) and she gets home and 2 weeks later misses her period.  She takes a test.  Negative.  She waits a day or two, takes another test.  Negative.  This whole time she's probably talking to her sisters.  They are very close so I doubt she was keeping this a secret.  So she sees them a few days later and she still hasn't gotten her period and they say "hey go take a pregnancy test, mom's still got a few leftover**" so she does and this one is positive.  And at this point she and Derrick are probably genuinly surprised because they had gotten a few negatives so she probably just convinced herself that maybe she was late because her cycle was off schedule due to leaving her (most likely) synced up childhood home.  Good for her.

**btw, my sister (not fundie, not baby crazy, just frugal) ordered OPKs and PregTests from Amazon by the case because they were cheaper than in the store.  When she got pregnant after only using like 3 OPKs, she gave the rest to me.  But she held on to her left over pregnancy tests and actually found them quite handy post-partum since she wasn't on BC yet and her cycle was super irregular.  Just gave her peace of mind before going out for a party or something. 

• Love 2
PinkSprinkles....none of my responses are directed at you, I'm just responding to the general criticisms. :)

The major criticisms summed up:

-They have jumped into parenthood too quickly given the fast and militant nature of their relationship. They haven't had time to establish a foundation to build a family on.

It's their life and their decision. [snip] It's their choice. Is the length of their relationship the problem, or their belief system the problem? [snip] Is this same attitude given to every "quick" relationship? What about the couple who accidentally gets pregnant after only dating 3 months? Are they being judged the same way? I dare say that Jill and Derrick know each other FAR better than that couple. When you spend time getting to know each other without putting emphasis on the physical side of your relationship, you learn a lot about the person you are in a relationship with, on a deeper level.

-It's wrong for them to be "shocked" by a pregnancy as they were doing nothing to prevent it and we all know that it's been drilled into every Duggar kid's head that babies must be conceived as quickly and often as possible once married.

[snip] People are "shocked" by pregnancies every day.  Just because you're doing nothing to prevent a pregnancy doesn't mean you are trying for one. I'm sure they knew that a baby was a possibility, they just weren't expecting it so soon if they weren't actively trying - charting temps, ovulation, etc. [snip]

-Jill should have waited until she was out of her first trimester to announce her pregnancy.

[snip] A lot of people are excited about their first pregnancy and can't wait to share the news. Just because they aren't doing things the way some would do them doesn't mean they are doing them wrong.

-It was rude of Jill to upstage her sister and announce her pregnancy so soon after her sister's engagement.

Her pregnancy was announced in People magazine, which didn't happen overnight...there was an article and pictures, so it had been in the works for at least several days. Jessa knew she was pregnant when she announced her engagement, and I'm willing to bet, knew the pregnancy announcement would be coming out in the next few days. If Jessa really wanted the spotlight, she would have waited a few weeks until the news of the pregnancy died down before she announced her engagement.

-J'chelle having a stash of pregnancy tests to give out on demand is creepy.

What is creepy about it? The woman has been pregnant every year for the last 20-some years. Just because she has a stock of pregnancy tests still in her bathroom cabinet doesn't mean she is using them anymore (or maybe she is, who knows). It's obviously no secret that the woman was just pregnant as recently as what, 3 years ago? [snip] The girls obviously know she has them. They told Jill to go get one of mom's and take one. [snip] I find a lot of things they do to be strange, but this is hardly one of them.

-Jill will never have the opportunity to finish her midwife training having a baby so soon.

This assumes that Jill wants to continue her midwife training.  Also, this assumes that just because she's now a mother, she can no longer finish training. MANY mothers go back to school and finish degrees - it's hard, but they do it. I get the feeling that Jill is content being a wife and mom, and there's nothing wrong with that. Some women are perfectly happy in those roles, but to say that she won't have the opportunity? Bull. She has every opportunity anyone else has, if she wants it.

-Gender reveal parties are over the top and unnecessary.

Gender reveals must be a regional thing. They are big around my part of the country. I don't have a problem with them, personally. No gifts are ever involved, and the parents are excited to share the moment they find out with a select, close group of family and friends (usually a very small group). I've been to ones that have cut the cake to reveal, sprayed silly string, sprayed pink/blue confetti, opened a box of balloons... I think it all comes down to - do what works for you. If you don't want a gender reveal, don't do one. Don't knock those who are excited to find out the sex of their baby this way.

Even given all of this, I would say that at least 90% of us (I include myself in this number) are happy for Jill and Derick and wish them only the very best with everything that parenthood brings. They seem like a sweet couple and will be good parents.

I totally agree with this. Outside of Jana, Jill is my favorite Duggar, and I really wish her the best. I have no doubt she will be a good mom...she's had plenty of experience...and I'm sure Derrick will be a natural as well.

• Love 2
, then lost the baby about a week later.  I happened to mention it a few days later to my mother, how sad it was etc.  Then Mom told me a bombshell.  When she became pregnant with her first [me], her doctor, a wise old duffer, advised her that she might want to keep things quiet until she entered her fourth month.  "Tell your husband of course, and maybe your mom, but no one else for a little while..."  When Mom asked why, he told her that it's one of the best-kept secrets in medicine - that only one out of every three pregnancies actually results in a live birth.  Mom was stunned by this, as was I when I heard it, but apparently it's true. Or at least it was in the 50s.  Does anyone have better information now?  Thanks.

When it comes to miscarriage, there are several issues.  Yes, fewer than half of all fertilized eggs result in a birth.  However, many of those fertilized eggs never implant and the woman never knows she was pregnant in the first place.  Maybe her period is a little heavier than usual, maybe it's a day or two late; most women's cycles are not so regular that they'd think much about a cycle being 29 or 30 days instead of their usual 28.  We've actually become more aware of how often these very early losses happen due to infertility treatments such as in vitro where a pregnancy test is often run before the period is missed.  A significant number of women will have a 'chemical pregnancy' (ie a positive blood test) and then her period will come and the test will be negative.  Back in the days before we had such sensitive tests and before every woman did her own pregnancy testing at home, we thought that pregnancy loss was a lot less than it actually is.  Somewhere between half and two thirds of all fertilized eggs do not result in a viable pregnancy.

As far as the risks of miscarriage once a woman knows she is pregnant and the time for her period is well past; that's around 20%.  However, once an ultrasound has shown a baby with a heartbeat in the uterus, the risk of miscarriage drops to around 2%.  This occurs about six weeks after the last menstrual period.  These days, most doctors and midwives do a first trimester ultrasound because it not only helps us predict what will happen but also because it is an excellent way to determine how many babies are in there and to zero in on a very accurate due date.  If Jill had an ultrasound, which Lord knows the Duggars seem to love to do, she would know that there was a baby with a heartbeat and that there's a 98% chance she won't miscarry.  I'd like to think she learned that while training as a midwife, but probably not.

*Board Certified OB/GYN in practice more than 28 years.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 18
It's common advice to wait to announce a pregnancy until you are out of the first trimester because miscarriage is a huge risk before then.

I would recommend it. I understand the excitement to tell everyone right away. But I've had friends and relatives who did the same thing only for it to end in a miscarriage a week or so later. They were obviously devastated by the miscarriage, but then the pain of having to tell everyone that you lost the baby made the pain ten times worse.

• Love 2

We have no idea of the timing. Magazines can take pictures and sit on them until it's convenient or use them right away. If you look at TV shows like PR where a contestant wins an ad in the sponsoring magazine it doesn't show up until three or four months after the episode airs on TV. To me, given Jessa's announcement was first and Jill came after, it seemed like Jill took the spotlight off her sister. YMMV. 

I don't have time to respond to everything you posted...I'll try to come back to it tomorrow when I have more time. But I'm just getting around to reading to People article. The article said that Jill actually revealed she was pregnant on Aug. 16 during an interview/appearance at a church. Derrick, Jessa, and Ben were with her. The story didn't break until 4 days later on the 20th. (People said Jessa's engagement was the 14th). How did it not come out sooner if she was talking about it during speaking engagements?

Maybe a stupid question, but what is YMMV?

I don't know that we can necessarily assess who might have been stealing whose spotlight, just because I'm not fully convinced that it's up to the Duggars entirely about when these things break. If J&D were under some kind of contract with People, they may have been subject to People's whims about when their stuff is published. (Best comment on the article on People.com was something about how it's clear People loves the Duggars and they can give it a rest at any point)  Plus I'm not sure we get 100% facts on all the timing of things. We've all seen the wonky editing on the show about the sequence of things, and I think the same can be said of their media appearances.

Edited by JessDVD
  • Love 4

I don't have time to respond to everything you posted...I'll try to come back to it tomorrow when I have more time. But I'm just getting around to reading to People article. The article said that Jill actually revealed she was pregnant on Aug. 16 during an interview/appearance at a church. Derrick, Jessa, and Ben were with her. The story didn't break until 4 days later on the 20th. (People said Jessa's engagement was the 14th). How did it not come out sooner if she was talking about it during speaking engagements?

I haven't read the People article and have no plans to do so I can't really respond to this. It doesn't really matter to me to be honest. At the time of many of the posts it looked like Jill stole Jessa's thunder because the pregnancy announcement came literally 3 days after Jessa's engagement. The posts made about this (all views on the matter) before the article came out made sense given the limited info we had. It was a knee-jerk reaction. 

I was really just wondering how the news didn't come out sooner if they were openly talking about it before the official announcement. I'm surprised someone at that event didn't leak it. Had nothing to do with her stealing her sisters thunder...honestly, I don't care :P.

Edited by sugarplum
  • Love 1

I have had four miscarriages and five live births.

My advice is: Don't tell anyone you are pregnant that you wouldn't be comfortable sharing the pain of a miscarriage with.

Every woman knows who those special people are in her life. They will be there to support you no matter how the pregnancy truns out. Maybe it's just your husband and maybe it's a handful of good friends.  It's different for everyone so those "don't tell a soul" rules aren't much help when you are doubled over in pain on the toilet afraid you might bleed out and need someone to pick up your child from an activity or when you almost land in the hospital (my most recent miscarriage). 

Back to Jill. Uh, Jill, you told A LOT of non-special people about this pregnancy. 

Plus, being as shocked as they claim they are, maybe they should've taken a few weeks to digest the information and process it all.  Prattling about private things isn't always a good idea.  Take time to enjoy the special time with your husband. 

I wish Jill and Dill well with this pregnancy. 

• Love 4

I don't think it's that big of a deal to tell your family early -- lots of people tell their parents and siblings, it's just that she happens to have 18 siblings. It's telling the world that I don't understand. Are the pictures on Hairspray/Pickles from People or elsewhere? Even if she is 2-3 months along, who does a maternity photoshoot then holding tiny shoes? I imagine People "suggested" it? I feel like people wait until the 3rd tri when they are really about to have the kid or maybe 2nd tri when they are showing but still feeling well enough to want to do those kinds of things.

Let's remember, everyone, that expressing your own thoughts and opinions, even when they differ from the majority of people who post, is perfectly fine and even encouraged.  As are reasoned rebuttal arguments.  However, these don't need to be couched in a defensive way or framed by comments about how "everyone else" feels about a topic, or by astonishment that "everyone" feels one way or another.  Just give your position or rebuttal.  Thanks.

• Love 6

Jill grew up hearing about the miscarriage between Josh and Jana/JD, and remembers clearly Jubilee, so my guess is that they don't necessarily get why they should wait. If God forbid something happened, they'd be in the same situation as with Jubilee.

And keep in mind that their beliefs are that sperm + egg = full person who should be protected and treated like any other person. I wouldn't be surprised if their extreme pro-life sentiments had something to do with it.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Actually, Jill did the PEOPLE interview on the 16th. She broke the news of her pregnancy to her FAMILY about a month after her wedding, in mid-late July (she did not give an exact date). The article quotes Jill as saying she got pregnant "less than two weeks after the wedding." That leads me to believe the nuptials were scheduled for the end of her cycle, with ovulation about 10 days later, leading to tests two weeks after that, some likely before the missed period (she didn't go into that kind of detail). At any rate, there's the "month." They announced to the entire family the next day.

Oh eta: They had to do People this week, even the show is back next week. Next week's a holiday weekend; less attention and lower sales. It had to be this week, and Bin had to be done with his proposal to get their secondary blurb. At least they got a real spread with article this time, not just the pictorial they got for the wedding.

Edited by Sew Sumi

I just spilled pink sprinkles all over my computer- literally! Such a mess. 

Any potential baby name suggestions? I'm thinking Kendall since it can be for a boy or girl and sticks with the double l in their last name. 

Willard Dillard would be a bad choice. ;-)

• Love 9

That is a good point. Jill certainly knows the risks of making a pregnancy public.  Guess she is more experienced than we are and feels this is the way to go. 

Maybe she truly feels she is "encouraging" people by sharing her highs and lows, joys and sadness. 

I feel Jim Bob enjoys the cash from the show but I suspect the Duggar girls really feel they are part of a ministry. 

I'm very happy for Dill's mother.  My mom was in the midst of a rough cancer battle (which she eventually lost) and my baby was the BEST gift! 

• Love 6

Jill is all about the social media these days. Pinterest and Instagram, are her friends. If the photographer mentioned either to her, I could see her being all over it. Just be thankful we didn't get the couples heart shaped hands over the used pee stick. That one is always tacky, but yet I've see it so many times. 

• Love 6

Just be thankful we didn't get the couples heart shaped hands over the used pee stick. That one is always tacky, but yet I've see it so many times.

Good grief, people do this?! Yuck! Thank goodness I was pregnant prior to social media. I waited months to tell anyone other than my parents because I had such a difficult time getting pregnant & after years of watching friends & how they acted I knew how I didn't want to act. Everyone I worked with thought I was chronically sick until I finally gave in & told folks around 5 months. Maybe if I could've gotten pregnant easily without medical help & had been younger I would've been more open. Who knows? But I want to believe that no matter what I wouldn't share my pee stick.
  • Love 6