Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

The Duggars probably don't worry about that, because if someone in the family has a miscarriage, Boob and TLC will probably find a way to capitalize on it and devote at least an entire episode to it.

• Love 5

I am in the medical field as well (PA in OB/GYN) and I've heard doctors/colleagues suggest it. Not every single doctor ever in existence does it and those that do discourage it weren't holding a gun to the patients' heads and saying they couldn't say anything before the 12 week mark to loved ones, but rather informing them of what could happen in the first trimester (good and bad). So okay.

Of course doctors will explain the risks but encouraging a patient not to tell people they are pregnant is outside of their scope of practice and is not something they are trained to counsel. I have never heard doctor counsel a patient not to tell anybody they were pregnant in any trimester. I only hear lay people suggest such things. It is entirely a personal choice.

• Love 2

Of course doctors will explain the risks but encouraging a patient not to tell people they are pregnant is outside of their scope of practice and is not something they are trained to counsel. I have never heard doctor counsel a patient not to tell anybody they were pregnant in any trimester. I only hear lay people suggest such things. It is entirely a personal choice.

And that's fine - I have heard more than one doctor suggest waiting to announce beyond telling a spouse, other children, or parents. That's been my experience, so I'll just move on.

I remember a co-worker bouncing up and down with excitement when she found out she was pregnant and crowing it to the world. When she miscarried, she could barely bring herself to return to work because she felt like she couldn't face people. Then when she had a successful pregnancy, she hid it for about 5 months. I felt like had she just waited on the announcement the first time, it might have been a bit easier to return to work, and she wouldn't have been so reluctant to tell everyone the next time. I think the net result was that she lost some of the joy in talking about it the second time by talking too soon the first.

I'm not expressing this well, sorry.

I understand exactly what you're saying.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 5

I'm wondering if possibly Derrick and Jill were wanting to conceive their first baby ASAP because of his mother's health....I'm not saying that this was the only reason, just a thought that they wanted to be sure his mom would be here when her first grandchild was born. Derrick has one other brother,unmarried, correct? So this will be his mother and stepfather's first grandchild.

• Love 2

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they announced the pregnancy this early but there is a reason why most doctors advise to wait till the 12 week mark.    But Jill isn't alone as I had a friend who announced at 3-4 weeks and it was nerve wracking the next month or so, waiting to see if the pregnancy would be ok.  

And there are no words I can use to describe my disgust at Michelle having pregnancy tests in the house at her age.   Someone needs a dose of reality and its called menapause!

Do you think she buys the tests in bulk from the wholesaler?  I could see them backing up a truck to her house every couple of months.  Heh.  But yeah, it's not only disgusting but a little pathetic.  Ok, more than a little.

• Love 2

One of the articles that came out today said that they weren't going to use a letter theme.

Bella, if my daughter's experience is anything to go on it wouldn't have mattered for your co-worker.  She would have probably changed what she did the first time just because of the experience no matter which route she'd gone.  My daughter didn't tell the world with the first pregnancy that ended with a miscarriage at 13 weeks, just four days before she was going to announce.  People could tell she was upset so she shared with friends co-workers and then said all they got to share was the sadness and none of the joy.  So next time around she shared with friends at around 8 weeks.  I don't think that there is a perfect time to share the news and each person has to find their comfort level.  I preferred to wait until 10 weeks, but due to HG was usually outed by it weeks earlier than that.

• Love 2

I am willing to go ahead and give J&D a pass on the quickness of their pregnancy because of his mom's health, I can totally understand that. I am not giving Michelle a pass on having pregnancy tests at her house because lady, you are nearly FORTY-EIGHT GIVE IT UP PLEASE.

As for when to announce, I agree with others that pretty much it is a personal comfort thing. I remember with my first, it was a struggle to make it until 8 weeks because people kept asking me when we might start having kids and my "Oh, I don't know, maybe sometime soon (like in about eight months)" pat answer was getting harder to say with a straight face.

And finally, I do hope that J&D lay off the interviews with People mag because I agree with @mbutterfly and @Libby96 above that this sort of media exposure to *everything*, I don't think is healthy or wise and I hope that when they look back on it, they don't regret it.

I know babies are supposed to be happy news but really?  I feel bad for them.  I so wanted them to enjoy getting to know each other and spending time together before a baby came along.  My husband and I were together for 5 years, married for one, when we had our daughter.

I feel exactly the same way. I was so happy for them, and I think they are a cute couple. I had some hope that they could have some time together. And, I admit, that I hoped that they would be able to provide another option for the younger kids -- look, you can be married, and happy, and have a career, and not just pop out babies every year.

I guess I'm just done with them now. 

• Love 2

I have a feeling Jerrick had a wedding night baby.  My parents?  Still not buying that an 8 mo baby weighed 6# and change

My son weighed 9 lbs, and since the baby gains about 2 lbs in the last month, it is more possible than  you think,  How much did the other babies in the family weigh?

Like everyone else, I really wanted Jerrick to wait a while, so that Jill could have concentrate on herself for a while.  But, that leads to thoughts of having a life for yourself, and we can't have that in the Duggar family. Hoped Derrick would care more about Jill than that.

As to Jessa, yes, she got short-changed on the engagement announcement. However, with a family this size, with the number that could be courting, engaged, married, or expecting at any one time.... it's going to be hard to be able to shine the spotlight on just one.  Josh, being a few years older, got some 'Me, Me, Me' publicity, and Josie being a premie, got the same.  The rest of them have never lived any way other than being grouped together in two dorm rooms. 

• Love 2

As to Jessa, yes, she got short-changed on the engagement announcement. However, with a family this size, with the number that could be courting, engaged, married, or expecting at any one time.... it's going to be hard to be able to shine the spotlight on just one.  Josh, being a few years older, got some 'Me, Me, Me' publicity, and Josie being a premie, got the same.  The rest of them have never lived any way other than being grouped together in two dorm rooms. 

That's a really good (albeit depressing) point. I think everyone deserves a 'me, me, me' moment when it comes to big occasions - birthdays, graduations, weddings, welcoming first babies - and it's interesting to see that it'll be very difficult for the people in this family to ever truly get a moment to themselves where people can fawn over them for a little bit.

I do wonder how Jessa reacted when she heard that Jill was getting a People cover.

My son was 5 weeks early and weighed 7 pounds 6 ounces.  No, my dates were not wrong!  I can pretty much tell you the day and time he was conceived (but I won't).  I was in pregnancy clothes by 11 weeks, my stomach and hips just started spreading right away - I too was tall and thin like Jill.

Just rewatched People video. I'm not convinced that her pregnancy is the total joyous thing they would lead us to believe. Their reactions are nothing like Josh and Annas were. She looks genuinely stunned, happy, but stunned as if not somethign they really were trying for (not, not trying either).

Edited by Ripley68

I watched Jill and Derick's pregnancy announcement video and can't get over how surprised and shocked they claim to be. Did no one explain to them that unprotected sex leads to babies? How does Jill think she got all those brothers and sisters? Derick also said something about them not "trying." Newsflash, Derick. You canoodle condomless, you are either trying or you are in need of some basic sex ed. When I learned I was pregnant, I was neither surprised nor shocked. I knew it was possible and was simply happy.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 7
I'll admit one thing - Jill's dress (what I can see) is adorable!

And picked so as to accentuate an almost nonexistent baby bump. ;-)

That annoyed the heck out of me in the video with them announcing the pregnancy.  In nearly every shot--sitting in the chairs side-by-side, walking outside, footage from a photo shoot, etc.--one or the other of them had a hand on her waist or belly.  Every one.  Like to remind us what was going on because apparently they are used to dealing with really stupid people who need reminders every couple seconds.

I'm totally confused why they even merit cover news,

This is "People," not NPR.  This is exactly what they do.

I guess that means we'll also be subjected to the gender reveal a few months down the road.

Don't EVEN get me started on gender reveal parties!  Ugh.

• Love 4

Jill may have expected it would take four months like Anna did or at least a couple of months.

I agree with this, I think Jill and Derick are a little shocked just because it happened so fast. I mean, obviously they both know how babies are made and they knew that what they were doing would likely lead to pregnancy eventually, but I'm not sure either of them quite expected to have a honeymoon baby.

I feel exactly the same way. I was so happy for them, and I think they are a cute couple. I had some hope that they could have some time together. And, I admit, that I hoped that they would be able to provide another option for the younger kids -- look, you can be married, and happy, and have a career, and not just pop out babies every year.

How could she have possibly waited? She has been told her life by parents.that birth control is evil. Jim Bob and Michelle and the other kids prevent her from having any privacy. She's a doula so she loves babies. She's 23 which is most likely an old age in their culture. 

It probably could have taken a few more months, but any woman not using birth control and sexually active will most likely get pregnant within a year of starting the physical relationship. That's biology and sex ed 101. Also most young healthy couples conceive within the first four monthes of trying.

I think personally it's a lot easier to think about having that 19 kids than it is to have them. I think it's possible Jill and Derrick may come to their senses after 3 or 4. Once they see how hard it is to have at least three little ones they may change their minds.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I 'm wondering if she's having twins? Since Michelle had at least one set of fraternal twins (maybe two? does anyone know about the boys),  fraternal twins possibly run in the family. (Fraternal twins can be passed mother to daughter. Fraternal twins are basically created when a woman releases two eggs at the same time. It can be a trait of a woman's cycle that she might share with her daughters. If this isn't clear, you can google it.)

Thank you, Rhondinella, for the eye roll for the gender reveal parties. Sorry to offend anyone here, but if you want to tell people your baby's gender say "I'm having a girl" or "I'm having a boy" and forget an extra party with the parents-to-be slicing a cake with bated breath to see if it's pink or blue inside.

We all know something along these lines will be coming to GMA in about 12 weeks or so when Jill hits the 20 week mark.

I must say Jill is really winning in the fundie lifestyle lately. She's obviously crazy about the guy her dad picked for her, got to meet him for the first time in an exciting overseas trip, beat her sisters to the alter, snagged a guy with a college degree (I guess some fundies wouldn't like this, by in practical terms it's good), gets pregnant within weeks of the wedding, and gets paid to smile expectantly with her cutie husband on a national magazine cover. In light of that, I'm going to just predict twins, a boy and a girl, arriving on their nine month anniversary. Who's with me?

Edited by Libby96
  • Love 7

Wow, I really did miss a lot by not checking in here for one day. I just found out watch TLC when they had a scroll going across to say they were going to announce a Duggar Baby and came into see everyone's reactions to that only to find out I'm way behind on the news. Boy was I praying it was Anna despite the fact four children that young is crazy but nope it was Jill. My first thought was how fast their announcing it given what happened to Erin. Its still crazy. I'll never understand why everything is a rush.

I also agree about the front page of People magazine why it goes to them instead of Ferguson or Lauren Bacall? Seriously? 

• Love 5

Wow, I agree that Jill and Derick probably should have waited a little longer before they announced the pregnancy. Looks like Jill has gone full famewhore now. Surprising, because I always thought it would be Jessa who followed in J'Chelle's footsteps. I had a friend who had a honeymoon baby, but I still think it's kind of crazy that Jill got knocked up so quickly. It's also kind of creepy that we have so much insight into her sex life...

• Love 4

Comfortably -- meaning each kid has some kind of college fund even if not fully funded -- I'd say 2-3 kids. A little less comfortably -- along the lines of -- if you could to college we can give you a few thousand per yr but you better find merit scholarships for the rest -- 4-6 kids. Derick comes from a family of two. While he may be saying "as many as God gives us" because that's what his wife and inlaws want to hear -- in his heart of hearts, even if wants a bigger family, he may be thinking along the lines of 3-4. Even Josh who was raised Gothard has said -- as many as God gives us but if that's only 3, that's ok -- indicating a preference for a smaller family. Alyssa Bates said to Nightline that she'd be ok with something like 6 but can't see herself handling what her parents have. I think these kids who've grown up in these mega families honestly don't want what they had.

I personally would be stunned if ANY of the Duggar or Bates children come anywhere close to having as many children as their parents did.  I don't think any "second generation" family will be bigger than 6 or 8 babies - at the most.  Anna often looks like she's already losing it and she only has three.  Though none of them will ever admit it - to anyone - most will resort to some type of birth control.  Most likely abstinence.

UH they do not seem that happy they are pregnant. They are like really, it can happen the first time without BC. Yep it can geniuses, especially when your mom had 19 friggin' kids! You are a fertile lady at least use the rhythm method.

• Love 2

Do doctors really recommend you wait to announce? I had 3 kids and no doctor ever said that to me

If medical people don't advise waiting awhile to announce a pending birth, maybe they should.  I had a co-worker and friend who announced her first pregnancy to our office at two months, then lost the baby about a week later.  I happened to mention it a few days later to my mother, how sad it was etc.  Then Mom told me a bombshell.  When she became pregnant with her first [me], her doctor, a wise old duffer, advised her that she might want to keep things quiet until she entered her fourth month.  "Tell your husband of course, and maybe your mom, but no one else for a little while..."  When Mom asked why, he told her that it's one of the best-kept secrets in medicine - that only one out of every three pregnancies actually results in a live birth.  Mom was stunned by this, as was I when I heard it, but apparently it's true. Or at least it was in the 50s.  Does anyone have better information now?  Thanks.

• Love 3

The statistic I've heard is that only about half of fertilized eggs results in a viable pregnancy--i.e. successfully implants and forms a placenta and suchlike.  I'm not surprised if only about a third of implanted zygotes results in a live birth; there are so many things that can go wrong it's amazing that any of us are here.

Here's an article I found: "two-thirds of all human embryos [a fertilized egg is called an embryo between two and eight weeks after conception] fail to develop successfully":

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101003205930.htm

• Love 3

I was just thinking , now that Josh and Anna have 3 kids, and likely will have a dozen before they're done, and now Jill and Derrick expecting their first child so soon.....Jim Bob and Michelle will likely have at least 100 grandchildren in the next 20 years or so. Maybe even closer to 200, if each of their girls marries young and has at least 6-8 kids since none of them will practice birth control.

This boggles my mind. And wow, this belief system of theirs certainly has firmly gripped their kids. 

I am willing to go ahead and give J&D a pass on the quickness of their pregnancy because of his mom's health, I can totally understand that.

JessDVD, you raise a good point about Derrick's mother.

I feel badly that Jill and Derrick have not had any quality time just the two of them, to learn about each other and how to be together.

I also feel it's a dick move by the two of them to announce early (count me as one of the "after the first trimester" people) and encroach on her sister's big news.

Edited by mledawn

If medical people don't advise waiting awhile to announce a pending birth, maybe they should.  I had a co-worker and friend who announced her first pregnancy to our office at two months, then lost the baby about a week later.  I happened to mention it a few days later to my mother, how sad it was etc.  Then Mom told me a bombshell.  When she became pregnant with her first [me], her doctor, a wise old duffer, advised her that she might want to keep things quiet until she entered her fourth month.  "Tell your husband of course, and maybe your mom, but no one else for a little while..."  When Mom asked why, he told her that it's one of the best-kept secrets in medicine - that only one out of every three pregnancies actually results in a live birth.  Mom was stunned by this, as was I when I heard it, but apparently it's true. Or at least it was in the 50s.  Does anyone have better information now?  Thanks.

Because it's embarrassing to lose a baby? Does it bear on your health if you tell people and then lose a baby? If not, it is not the place of a HCP to counsel such things. In fact they train you not to make those kinds of judgments now.. Your doctor's numbers were off and it may be because he was very old, but the miscarriage rate is 15-20% most of which happen before a woman knows she is pregnant and in fact, never knows she had one. Only around 10% of confirmed pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion. That is 1 in 10. What I am telling you is, It is not the doctor's place to decide when a woman should revel she is pregnant. Every woman is different and so is her situation. Of course it is in her right to wait, but it is not of medical significance. Telling people does not alter the course of the pregnancy.

Even Robin Williams has nothing but a blurb on the front page of People.

That is probably because he passed after they had already made the magazine. He will get a front page spread. As lovely as Becall is, the demographic of People magazine doesn't even know who she is

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 2

Newsflash, Derick. You canoodle condomless, you are either trying or you are in need of some basic sex ed.

To me "trying" says that they were counting days, taking temperatures, etc.  What they were doing was just being open to whatever happened- clearly, they were surprised how quickly a pregnancy happened, because they weren't doing the million things J'chelle does to actively try to have a baby.

• Love 1

I was just thinking , now that Josh and Anna have 3 kids, and likely will have a dozen before they're done, and now Jill and Derrick expecting their first child so soon.....Jim Bob and Michelle will likely have at least 100 grandchildren in the next 20 years or so. Maybe even closer to 200, if each of their girls marries young and has at least 6-8 kids since none of them will practice birth control.

This boggles my mind. And wow, this belief system of theirs certainly has firmly gripped their kids. 

Well, People bear gear up. The time could come when every week has a pregnant Duggar cover. Wouldn't that be special? 

• Love 1

I agree that it was a dick move to announce early and steal Jessa's thunder. Maybe our little Jilly Muffin is a lot more competitive and calculating than we thought. After all, she admitted to being jealous of Jessa's looks in Growing Up Duggar. Hmmm....

• Love 1

To me "trying" says that they were counting days, taking temperatures, etc.  What they were doing was just being open to whatever happened- clearly, they were surprised how quickly a pregnancy happened, because they weren't doing the million things J'chelle does to actively try to have a baby.

The reality is that Jill probably remembers the last 10 yrs of her life better than the prior decade. In the last 10 yrs with Michelle in her late 30s-40s, she and the older girls were aware of their mother constantly trying/charting etc. She likely doesn't remember back to when her mother was in her 20s and pregnancies probably just happened with little effort. It's possible that Jill is comparing her 23 yr old self to her 40-something yr old mother thinking -- yeah I know you're more fertile when you're young, but I didn't think it would be THIS fast -- mom and dad try for months for every blessing.

I don't agree that she and Derick are all that shocked. Maybe they weren't expecting it now -- but I think this is a few months faster than they expected/wanted, not years faster. Wasn't it said somewhere (maybe here) that she had already taken 2 pregnancy tests by the time she took the positive one. 3 pregnancy tests in 30 days of marriage is not someone who can be all that "shocked" by pregnancy.

• Love 4

I don't usually freak out at the notion of a honeymoon baby because I unexpectedly had three kids really early in my marriage (a pill baby, an NFP baby, and a sponge baby) and things turned out fine for us. Thankfully, my marriage was up to the challenge, and I honestly wouldn't have done it any other way. But the difference is that we eventually decided that we were at the right family size for us--hello, vasectomy!--and our kids grew up. My husband and I are now enjoying the heck out of middle age and reclaiming some of the freedom that was sacrificed when we became parents in our early/mid-20s. I have a sister who had her kids "late," so she's 60 and still has a kid at home, but that was offset by all the years of freedom that she and her husband had earlier. What saddens me about Jill's pregnancy is that if she starts early and never stops, she and Derick could potentially be parenting young kids till they've got one foot in the grave.  

• Love 2
I agree that it was a dick move to announce early and steal Jessa's thunder. Maybe our little Jilly Muffin is a lot more competitive and calculating than we thought. After all, she admitted to being jealous of Jessa's looks in Growing Up Duggar. Hmmm....

Could it have been the other way around?  Even though they just announced it, the family might have known about the pregnancy for a while, especially if it was going to be on the cover of People Magazine.   Maybe Jessa wanted to "one up" her sister by announcing her engagement at the same time as the pregnancy announcement since Jill beat her to the altar even though Jessa was the first sister to start courting.

Edited by Stacey1014

^^ I'm sure they are on the cover because People through extensive research knows which people sell the most units. Sadly the Duggars are now entering into the Kardashian territory.

^^^ That's an interesting thought about the mag cover in the works before Jessa's announcement. It was circling my brain that the Jessa's, like her courtship announcement, was pushed forward by relatives social media ramblings. 

Edited by Almost 3000

Maybe they looked surprised because the pregnancy was the result of a defective condom ? ;)

It happens all the time. My youngest comes to mind.

Seriously, if they are happy, more power to them, but I can't help but feel sad for their loss of "just the two of us" time.

I had my first child after 8 years of marriage, 3 of which were spent actively trying.  Of course I was beyond thrilled to finally be pregnant, but I do remember also feeling a bit sad that it was never going to be just the two of us again.

• Love 1

"How could she have possibly waited? She has been told her life by parents.that birth control is evil."   Good point. I think the kids have been taught to only have sex to procreate, not for pleasure. Pleasure=lust=sin   

I am calling twins. Looking at the pictures she does appear to be showing, bloated, food baby or something.  I was showing by 5 weeks when I was pregnant with twins. With my son I didn't show until 13-14 weeks.  Either way I wish them congratulations and best of luck.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned about Michelle having a sister keep track of a sister's cycles when she starts courting. If this is true it is disgusting. Do Michelle and JB have so little respect for the girls to trust they will "keep sweet"?  Do they believe the female is so simple they can be so taken in so easily by the predatory lustful male? Wonder if Michelle and JimBoob take the courting girls to  the doctors to do a monthly "virginity test'?   

• Love 1
Thank you, Rhondinella, for the eye roll for the gender reveal parties. Sorry to offend anyone here, but if you want to tell people your baby's gender say "I'm having a girl" or "I'm having a boy" and forget an extra party with the parents to be slicing a cake with bated breath to see if it's pink or blue inside.

Hey, I like to do what I can.  I have never, and will never, go to a gender reveal party.  I think they're silly and unnecessary.  Sorry, if anyone here has done it.  Nothing personal. Just my two cents.  I know people who think it's great.  Although the cake thing is at least less annoying then the "let's open up two squirt bottles of paint and spray them on each other to see what color it is and thereby which kind of child we're having."  Ugh.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned about Michelle having a sister keep track of a sister's cycles when she starts courting. If this is true it is disgusting. Do Michelle and JB have so little respect for the girls to trust they will "keep sweet"?  Do they believe the female is so simple they can be so taken in so easily by the predatory lustful male? Wonder if Michelle and JimBoob take the courting girls to  the doctors to do a monthly "virginity test'?

How on EARTH is one of them supposed to become pregnant when they are literally watched every second they are together?

• Love 4

Hey, I like to do what I can.  I have never, and will never, go to a gender reveal party.  I think they're silly and unnecessary.  Sorry, if anyone here has done it.  Nothing personal. Just my two cents.  I know people who think it's great.  Although the cake thing is at least less annoying then the "let's open up two squirt bottles of paint and spray them on each other to see what color it is and thereby which kind of child we're having."  Ugh.

I will never do the gender reveal thing either. Somehow I think it's just another way to get more gifts before the actual shower or a way to get gifts with a second baby if it's uncouth to have another shower (if the second baby is the same sex or the kid comes 9 months after the first). 

• Love 6

I kind of like the cake with colored inside thing, like with family and close friends, with a strict rule of no gifts. My personal pet peeve is when people make the gender announcement practically bigger than their baby's actual birth. I know someone who announced on Facebook, It's a girl! baby's full name, weight (something like 1 lb at the ultrasound, of course) and I thought well, no need to pay attention to your baby's actual birth announcement now.

• Love 3

For all the speculation about wedding and birth dates my money is on a honeymoon baby for this couple.  If this is what they wanted congratulations.  Personally I'd have wanted a little more time alone with my husband before baby making three.  But these are fundies who supposedly didn't even hold hands until they were engaged and didn't kiss until their wedding day so I'm inclined to believe they actually do have a wedding night baby.  For me that would suck.  For them that's a blessing.  A fast start to their "quiverfull".  Even Smugger and Anna didn't get that fast a start!

Having watched the episodes of the visit to Katmandu and how physically affectionate these two were I'm betting Papa Boob pushed that marriage HARD knowing they could barely keep their hands off each other!  Had they waited much longer I might be speculating about a pre-wedding baby.

I caught the quick surreptitious hand holding out of the car window on the way to the airport in Katmandu and I'm betting the kissing happened long before the wedding day.  This was ONE HORNY couple! 

Edited by Shugardrawers
  • Love 3

Well what would you expect? Jill has never been allowed to kiss a guy, much less anything further before marrying Derek. I doubt those Duggar daughters are even allowed to masturbate. Hell, they probably don't even know what the word means. Michelle would probably burst into flames if she had to have an actual sex talk with her kids. Maybe not all of the kids are like that, but most normal adults in their 20's have some serious hormone action going on.

• Love 1