Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Derick knows the assumptions people will make from "human trafficking" no matter what the technical definition. It's super manipulative of him, especially considering that he sought inclusion into that "human trafficking" and was an enthusiastic participant for years. 

I'm sorry, but as gross as reality tv is, equating it to the horrors of human trafficking is even worse. 

I completely agree. While I enjoy the anti Jim Bob train I am still not ready to hop on the Derrick train. He judges others by only his own measurement of morality. Derrick possesses the same impossible brick wall. His way. His view. He is right. No one else. His voice - interesting. Fiery condemnation for JimBob - a different tone used when discussing CSAM?  Compare 19 kids and counting to human trafficking? He's not righteous.  He's angry and wants to beat his nemesis. Derrick has the potential to be the same level of manipulative. He knows people won't consider the word akin. 

I don't mind JimBob being called out but Derrick really needs to figure out an end game here. Otherwise he's just spitting in the wind and the boomerang could be nasty.

• Love 12

Early on when Jill and Derick married I had high hopes for Derick. For each misstep he had I continued to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even when their fundraising started to get wonky, I held out some hope. But soon thereafter Derick started showing his true colors and after his SM hate rant, I was done. His continued ambiguously defensive posts left me know doubt who he was. Derick going after his FIL for money did not change my mind back. Derick going to law school did nothing to change my mind either. And I've never seen him as being particularly supportive of Jill and I still don't.

I will never be Team Derick because he crossed the line from preaching to the choir to outwardly spewing his hate. In this instance I chose to ignore his hyperbole about human trafficking, because Derick, is, well, Derick and he is the only one of the Duggar clan who has actually had the balls to stand up to JB. I give him lots of credit for his straightforward post about JB's shenanigans.

• Love 16
25 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I don't agree with Derick on many things, but he has been supportive of Jill, and I have to admire them for breaking away. It could not have been an easy thing to do.

I often wonder about this. On the one hand we absolutely see a more mainstream family with the boys going to public school. We've seen them break away and we think Derrick is supportive of Jill (although we don't actually know that - what are her goals and dreams?). They seem happy, but of course social media isn't real. We should've learned a lesson these last few years - we don't really know what goes on behind closed doors.

I am always torn.  Derrick as the cryptic critic on social media is fairly obviously the source of Jill's split from her mother and father. And while that's very good in terms of getting away from the manipulative cult- like trappings of the Duggar compound  - the split itself and the way it has unfolded was sure to make Jill sad. I do wonder if they could have found more independence without the giant crack that's probably caused so much pain. Given Derrick's highly opinionated beliefs, his supreme judgment of others, and his desire for control - I don't see Jim Bob as the only non-negotiator in the family.

Also strangely enough Derrick reminded me of JimBob when I was watching a YouTube video about a date. Derrick was cryptically bragging - to his children - about how much sex he had. Jim Bob loves to do that too. Ick.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, lascuba said:

while forgetting the fact that his an international god-bothering bigot who's never made a single acknowledgement of his wrongs. 

Jokes on him, I have a long memory and I can hate multiple fundies at once. The enemy of my enemy might be convenient, but he's not my friend. 

Ha, I love that!  Derrick the international god bothering bigot. Creates such a mental picture!  

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I guess I have a bit of a different take, but I take Derick's statement about Jim Bob's actions being "akin to human trafficking" as a dig about getting the grown married kids to appear on Counting On, and pocketing all the money.  Essentially he was profiting from their work.  YMMV, of course.

I don't agree with Derick on many things, but he has been supportive of Jill, and I have to admire them for breaking away. It could not have been an easy thing to do.

So, Jim Boob is a pimp. That tracks.

• LOL 14
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

t's the whole HEADSHIP thing.   

Derick might not be as open minded as folks would like, but that doesn't mean he is wrong about JB.

The whole headship thing. This is why I am not supportive of Derrick. I would be much more in favor of Jill doing the speaking - on her own behalf. Jill seems to have transferred from one highly opinionated, judgmental and controlling person to another highly opinionated, judgmental and controlling person. Just because Derrick is right about JB doesn't mean that he is handling the dynamics properly and in the best interest of his family.  Jill is stuck in the middle - fairly silent - separate from people she once did love. Going from one "this is the right way to live" to another "this is the right way to live." Is she pursuing what she wants in life? Or what Derrick wants?  Great, public school in Arkansas. Okay a win maybe? But is that all we have to go on? I don't excuse past deeply prejudicial and problematic behavior just because someone posts on social media about JB.  What happens if Izzy is gay?  While I agree with Derrick's views on JB, I don't agree with his continued judgment and patriarchal mentality nor do I agree with his desire to use social media to deepen Jill's divide. But I would be all for Jill doing it.

6 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

n a sense, he was a victim as well of Boob.

He was 25 when they married. Though lied to and perhaps not savvy enough to read the contracts, I wouldn't equate what happened to him with what happened to the girls. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Maybe Jill doesn't want to be the one speaking up?    Maybe she just wants to keep that part private?   Or she knows because he is better educated, he can say it better than she can.   Or who knows?   But to assume he is speaking up because HE is in charge now and Jill better go along with it is assuming facts not in evidence.   

Just because it is not the way one person would do it, does not make it wrong.   

Isn't the point that we don't know? either way.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 7

To the point of Derrick initially participating in the show and now possibly equating that and other control by JB akin to human trafficking I think it should be considered that Derrick's initial approach to the family was to have a relationship with JB, as a prayer partner and spiritual mentor.  He probably accepted the explanation of the show being about ministry for quite a period of time before any niggling doubts wouldn't be quiet anymore.   No doubt months of being in JB's immediate presence and the explosive revelations of Josh's abuse of his sisters and JB's failure to address it appropriately probably really triggered alarms until Derrick couldn't quiet them all anymore and probably began asking questions.

No doubt JB followed Michelle's example and spoke very sweetly when he patiently and truthfully answered all of Derrick's questions.   

• Love 7
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I would hardly call Derick a victim of JB. He has a shitty FIL. A FIL who apparently lied to him and yelled at him. Not a victim in my book.

Oh, I'm not saying Derick was a victim of JB. But I do think he came across JB when he (Derick) was vulnerable and susceptible to getting swept up into JB's world, and that JB played him to some degree. Including lies and whatever manipulation would work, because IMO lies and manipulation are part of JB's way of dealing with the world and especially with his family. 

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, I'm not saying Derick was a victim of JB. But I do think he came across JB when he (Derick) was vulnerable and susceptible to getting swept up into JB's world, and that JB played him to some degree. Including lies and whatever manipulation would work, because IMO lies and manipulation are part of JB's way of dealing with the world and especially with his family. 

I didn't mean to imply you said Derick was a victim, I think it was mentioned upthread somewhere.

I agree JB treated Derick poorly. I would agree that it sucks for Derick that JB is who JB is. Derick has the right to speak up and push back in regard to the way JB has treated him, and kudos to him for doing that.

Though IMO, vulnerable or not, Derick was a grown man when he met JB. He had attended college and spent a year alone in Nepal. And it seems he started to figure out JB within a couple of years of meeting him. I can't drum up a lot of sympathy for Derick because he has a shitty FIL.

• Love 8
57 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Derrick's initial approach to the family was to have a relationship with JB, as a prayer partner and spiritual mentor. 

Did we ever find out how that relationship actually started? 

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Did we ever find out how that relationship started? 

I somehow have the impression that it was Cathy who contacted JB about becoming Derick’s prayer partner, at Derick’s request. Later someone stated here that in that context a PP also contributes financial help to a missionary. I know nothing about missions and will take it at face value. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I actually understand why Derick would have been drawn to Jim Bob's world, but the self-serving lies he told on his way out will always make him an untrustworthy little shit weasel to me. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
56 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I'm not a Derick-hater either, nor do I lionize him. I see him as a work in progress, and that can be messy. And, just for the record, I realize he - and Jill - hold opinions on religion, society, and politics, that I disagree with (to say the least). If my criteria for being interested in these survivors of a TLC freak show included agreeing with all their beliefs I'd not be here at all. Maybe it's easier for me because I come from a state next door to Arkansas and have a busload (literally) of Southern Baptist relatives. Mainstream and not fundie, but I know not to expect any Duggar or adjacent to be IMO enlightened on this stuff. 

And, they're evangelical Christians. Fundie or mainstream, a bedrock belief of evangelicals is that they have a duty to preach the gospel. They really can't "live and let live" when it comes to religion. They are SUPPOSED to spread the Word and save souls for Jesus. Some of them take it so seriously they are always up in your grill talking about Jesus - even to Daniel in the laundromat to use a famous example. Most of the mainstream ones, in my experience, aren't like that. Which is why they donate to support missionaries - salves their conscience that they aren't personally trying to convert people all the time, by supporting others to do that. (My cynical view, just saying.)

Of course the way Derick "handled" things in his life including his relationship with JB, wasn't ideal. But maybe he did the best he could at the time. TBH I can't imagine a scenario in which breaking away from her parents' control would not be painful and difficult for Jill. With or without a husband at her side, even if the husband was more mature than Derick with a different psychological/emotional makeup. And in that hypothetical case, would such a man be interested in JB or any of his daughters in the first place? I doubt it.

I think Derick fell for JB when he was a lonely guy going through a religious fervor phase, sitting at his laptop in Nepal, with a new accounting degree and a desire to become a Southern Baptist missionary. His dad had died suddenly a few years before and his mother was being treated for cancer. Somehow he fell for JB and dived into the fundie world. I really think he was ignorant of what a fundie world he was getting into when he linked up with JB and then with Jill. I think he saw a big wholesome family with the right kind of religion, and jumped in. For instance, after they married he was still talking about both of them becoming accredited missionaries (with the SBC's international missions board) which turned out not to be possible because he'd badly overestimated Jill's level of education.

Somehow over these turbulent years that followed, Derick and Jill have arrived at a life that seems healthier than what they started with. I don't think I'm being deceived in this opinion by Jill having become a master manipulator of social media. I think they're in a healthier life because a few years ago, Izzy's pics and videos on SM started showing a much more relaxed little kid. Jill and Derick also started looking and acting less tense. If she can fake that, she needs to start professionally making films for big bucks.

I don't know why it's Derick making those recent SM posts and not Jill. I don't assume it's because she's under his thumb the way she was under JB's. I give her, and Derick, more respect than that. They did issue a joint statement after Josh's conviction, and again I am not going to assume Derick forced Jill to do that. 

But then why is the onus on the rest of us to "live and let live" in regards to people like them? It's condescending to essentially say, "poor dears just don't know any better." Worst yet, it's naive, because while the rest of the world gives them a pass and has infinite patience because  they just "can't" let people live their lives, they are very much taking advantage of that naivete to push more extreme agendas. If they've been taught all their lives that they have to preach their religion to everyone no matter what, well, they need to be disabused of that notion early and often. 

I have the complete opposite experience from you, in that I grew up in communities that were culturally Catholic but not religious. Evangelicals were always rightfully seen as killjoys who want to interfere in people's lives and generally make the world more unpleasant. I can't view their nonsense as harmless. 

4 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Did we ever find out how that relationship actually started? 

Derick contacted JB to be his prayer partner. JB and Michelle are very weirdly open and responsive to stranger that contact them, so JB wrote back and the rest is fundie history. 

3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I actually understand why Derick would have been drawn to Jim Bob's world, but the self-serving lies he told on his way out will always make him an untrustworthy little shit weasel to me. 

Right, he's so focused on every way JB wronged him and spends zero time acknowledging his own shittiness. He makes the same excuses for himself that JB does. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Right, he's so focused on every way JB wronged him and spends zero time acknowledging his own shittiness. He makes the same excuses for himself that JB does. 

I know people are probably sick of me commenting on it, but his whole "we had a contract until we didn't have a contract" shtick was just too much for me. Also his "TLC fired me--actually I quit." Well, which is it, bitch? He just simply has no credibility to me. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

I suppose some see things one way and some see them the other. That's okay. The reality is that we don't really know anything for sure. I did see Derrick attacking a teenager and another gay couple on social media. I've seen him impose his views and his way on others with very little room to listen and consider other perspectives. I have seen him believe and profess to believe that his way is the only right way. Perhaps I should not factor that in to my analysis. I don't use social media posts/manipulation "look at us, click on us, follow us" posts  and YouTube created/edited/curated videos as tangible evidence in whether a life or wife for that matter is happy.  I can accept that I don't know the inner workings of their relationship. I don't think any of us really do. Only Jill knows if she is fulfilled. Jessa and Jill both have husbands that "allow" them to speak - but that doesn't mean they aren't living in a patriarchal system.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I know people are probably sick of me commenting on it, but his whole "we had a contract until we didn't have a contract" shtick was just too much for me. Also his "TLC fired me--actually I quit." Well, which is it, bitch? He just simply has no credibility to me. 

I still chuckle at him trying to say he has been working since he was 5 and that Jill has more education than her critics.  Dude just does not have it in him to take the L and move on.  The best thing to happen to him these last few years was going back to school and not having the time anymore to be on Twitter.  He needs to start studying for the bar again and get off of social media.

• LOL 7
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I don't recall saying that anybody has to like or tolerate the Duggars. I haven't criticized anyone for their opinions of any of the Duggars, whether it's love or hate, or complained that people haven't been fair in their opinions. I don't know if "the rest of the world gives them a pass and has infinite patience" with them. I'm not that well-informed on how the rest of the world thinks. 

I'm just stating my view of them - which of course everyone is free to ignore, ridicule, or disagree with. It appears to be different from your opinion, and that's cool. Have a nice day.

I'm not saying you said that, I'm saying that I disagree with the argument that people should understand that they just "can't live and let live" because of what they've been taught. 

And...I know that you're stating your view of them? And I'm stating mine? I thought that was the point of these forums. Sorry if that offended you.

8 minutes ago, Zella said:

Even I would give him credit for stating the ways that he's been wrong that isn't just some version of, "I was manipulated by JB." 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I'm not saying you said that, I'm saying that I disagree with the argument that people should understand that they just "can't live and let live" because of what they've been taught. 

And...I know that you're stating your view of them? And I'm stating mine? I thought that was the point of these forums. Sorry if that offended you.

Well, you quoted my post and then replied to it with those comments - so I took your complaints as directed at me. And, no I don't get offended by discussions of the Duggars, so no worries.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Nodding along to this.  Reaching the age of maturity and inability to be a victim are not mutually exclusive. I think grown adult or not, Derick was vulnerable and trusting of Boob (his one-time spiritual advisor long before he was his FIL). That having said, I won't go so far as to call Derick a victim as I want to be mindful with throwing that around, but it is clear he was taken advantage of. Then you add in the Jill factor, who was absolutely a victim and would be under Boob's thumb to this very day if she and Derick hadn't seen the light and distanced themselves.

I can still be pissed at him for some of the absolutely wrong things he has said in the past but also keep an open mind where his growth and Jill's and anyone else's that came from the Cult of Toxicity are concerned. I mean, I would be a hypocrite if I held others to their words and actions of their past and not cared a tinker's dam if they have taken actions to grown and change and maybe find some redemption as I have said and done some things that I absolutely regret and have remorse for (some as part of my own healing as a CSA survivor). Now, there are some actions and some people (looking at you, inmate) that I don't know if I believe can ever truly be redeemed, but ultimately, that's not up to me to determine but a higher power (which I know MMV there). 

• Love 12

Personally I've always looked at much of what Derrick spewed previously in regards to leaving the show as part of lashing out like the proverbial woman scorned due to his painful disillusionment about his relationship with JB.   I actually suspect it meant something very deep to Derrick and he was absolutely thrown for a complete loop when it was destroyed.

Having an opinion about why he might have lashed out is different from seeing him as a victim, thinking it redeems his horrible viewpoints or being his fan.   Mostly because he's a parent of two young and impressionable kids I hold out hope that Derrick has grown up and away from some of the hideous comments he's made about various things. 

• Love 9

I was surprised when Jill and Derick said they would use the preferred pronouns if they knew someone was trans. I mean, it's the BARE FUCKING MINIMUM if you're transphobic, but... baby fucking steps. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

The whole headship thing. This is why I am not supportive of Derrick. I would be much more in favor of Jill doing the speaking - on her own behalf. Jill seems to have transferred from one highly opinionated, judgmental and controlling person to another highly opinionated, judgmental and controlling person. Just because Derrick is right about JB doesn't mean that he is handling the dynamics properly and in the best interest of his family.  Jill is stuck in the middle - fairly silent - separate from people she once did love. Going from one "this is the right way to live" to another "this is the right way to live." Is she pursuing what she wants in life? Or what Derrick wants?  Great, public school in Arkansas. Okay a win maybe? But is that all we have to go on? I don't excuse past deeply prejudicial and problematic behavior just because someone posts on social media about JB.  What happens if Izzy is gay?  While I agree with Derrick's views on JB, I don't agree with his continued judgment and patriarchal mentality nor do I agree with his desire to use social media to deepen Jill's divide. But I would be all for Jill doing it.

He was 25 when they married. Though lied to and perhaps not savvy enough to read the contracts, I wouldn't equate what happened to him with what happened to the girls. 

The fact Jill (probably) wanted Derrick to speak for her isn't necessarily a matter of his exerting headship. When I was Jill's age and was victim of criminal behavior (no physical damage to me), I was happy to have my husband handle the situation. I was pregnant at the time and shaken by the incident. As it happens my husband was already a practicing lawyer and an assistant DA, that helped even more. In this case, I don't see blaming Derrick nor Jill for how this played out. 

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I was surprised when Jill and Derick said they would use the preferred pronouns if they knew someone was trans. I mean, it's the BARE FUCKING MINIMUM if you're transphobic, but... baby fucking steps. 

When and where did they say this?

6 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

When and where did they say this?

It was one of the videos on their YouTube channel. I think one of the Q&A ones.

At 17:15. Like I said, tiny baby steps. Having the decency to at least respect someone's pronouns is a lot more than many others would do.

Edited by Valerie
  • Useful 5
  • Love 9
27 minutes ago, MMEButterfly said:

The fact Jill (probably) wanted Derrick to speak for her isn't necessarily a matter of his exerting headship. When I was Jill's age and was victim of criminal behavior (no physical damage to me), I was happy to have my husband handle the situation. I was pregnant at the time and shaken by the incident. As it happens my husband was already a practicing lawyer and an assistant DA, that helped even more. In this case, I don't see blaming Derrick nor Jill for how this played out. 

Issue a statement. Post an essay. Support your position. Yes of course. Be a needling, jabbing, ranting cryptic social media gnat that never stops pecking away at their enemy-  who happens to now be your father and mother? I don't really see her directing that but again, my interpretation is based upon the past Derrick. If she's all for it - so be it. No idea.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I'm just stating my view of them - which of course everyone is free to ignore, ridicule, or disagree with. It appears to be different from your opinion, and that's cool. Have a nice day.

I think you have very intelligent views and opinions, well thought out. Thank you

• Love 12

In a time when things are increasingly polarized, this and other Duggar forums seem to be becoming more polarized.  For my mental health, I think I may have to take a break from reading here, much less posting anything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Homeschooling, eschewing birth control, long hair and long skirts for women, not watching TV or listening to secular music, running your own business and attending only home churches aren’t just cosmetic aspects of Gothardism, they’re fundamental tenets

From what I have seen many of the Duggar girls are evolving away from these tenets- not just Jill. Even Jana is wearing pants these days. Mind bend exercise purely to help me frame my own mind- what is the difference between Jeremy/Jinger and Derrick/Jill?   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

Mind bend exercise purely to help me frame my own mind- what is the difference between Jeremy/Jinger and Derrick/Jill?   

For me, Jinger is just Jeremy's figure. We don't see her doing something remotely interesting, and it's all about Jeremy.

Jill has her own voice and her own things

• Useful 3
  • Love 15

If we look at the Bates family, their daughters came out of the gates swinging. It didn't take much at all for most of them to drop many of the Gothardisms, and actually, even though Gil is still very much a part of it all, he and Kelly seemed to have left some of the bullshit behind too.

And then there's Jinger - she wears pants/shorts, she cuts her hair and she practiced(es) birth control.

The only real difference I see between Jill and Jinger and the Bates sisters is Jill has a husband who doesn't like JB.

• Love 9

Good grief, they said they'd use a Trans person's pronouns if they were in a Trans person's home. That's not baby steps towards anything except making themselves look better while not actually changing anything.

• Love 7