Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Zella said:

I've wondered about this ever since he started saying vague things about an interest in public law and/or victims rights. I have a feeling we'd collectively be pretty put off by his answer (if he'd give one) when asked to clarify whom he considers a victim worthy of his representation and whom he doesn't. And that is probably just as well for the people he doesn't consider worthy because I doubt they'd want him to represent them, but it also makes me question how effective he would be as a lawyer. 

I guess one of the things that really stands out to me about this latest post is how . . . unlawyerly it comes across. Their statement about Josh's trial, IMO, was quite well written and effective. It struck a nice balance between outrage and professionalism. It made me go "Hmm maybe Derick did learn some things in law school."

This latest one--I get that he and Jill are mad about the way the lawsuit turned out, and this isn't a comment on the fairness of that suit or the judgment--but I think his claim about the people who did the redactions doing it out of evil malice is pretty unhinged. And the more I think about it, the more batshit crazy it seems as an accusation. 

I remember people saying the girls should use Derick as their lawyer against Jim Bob or whatever. That post is a pretty good example to me why he should be nowhere near any of this in a professional capacity, and though I get why it is personal for him, it makes me wonder how much he's really able to disengage from something and analyze it coolly. 

The lawyers I know are pretty good at standing back from something and being able to give a fairly well-reasoned, cool-headed explanation/reasoning, regardless of their own personal thoughts. It's not to say they don't have the personal biases and preferences or can't get angry or be passionate about something, but to me, that blog post doesn't seem to come from someone who finished 3 years of law school and developed as a critical thinker because of it. 

I cannot imagine Derick being able to represent someone he disagrees with, which seems to really limit your prospects as an attorney. 

To me it also shows that he hasn’t had many jobs where he was tasked to simply follow the rules as dictated by his employers. It doesn’t matter whether the employee/s who redacted those documents agreed with the way it was to be done. Their job was simply to do as they were instructed. Neither Derick or Jill has had much experience in following an employer’s rules. 

• Love 16
26 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The bar is coming up this week. I wonder if Jill will say anything. Doesn't he have to travel to Little Rock to take it? 

It’s on Tuesday and Wednesday, and it is in Little Rock. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It’s on Tuesday and Wednesday, and it is in Little Rock. 

That's as I remembered it. Will they get a hotel room for the family? Some kids have the week off. Or will Jill spend a night without Derick? They used to make such a big deal about never having spent a night apart. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The bar is coming up this week. I wonder if Jill will say anything. Doesn't he have to travel to Little Rock to take it? 

By the time the actual exam rolled around last time, Jill didn't mention it.  A lot of us wondered if he didn't sit for it when his name didn't appear on the list of those who passed.  I think he took it but didn't pass but neither of them has ever publicly discussed it.

We won't know if he took it this time unless he passes, I suspect.

• Love 14

Maybe because they didn't mention the exam last July (?), they'll think their fans forgot about it and mention it this time? 

Nah. You're likely right. We'll have to wait for the pass list to be published and see his name to know anything decisive.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 4
On 2/11/2022 at 4:36 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Outing people is not illegal. It's generally shitty because people should be allowed to choose when they come out, but it's not illegal.

But sexual abuse details of minors with no redaction? That actually IS illegal.

As I said, the Duggars suck. They're awful. But sexual abuse details of minors without any redaction should not have been published, IMO.

How is it illegal?( Legit question here.) It's immoral and unethical for sure, but I'm not sure it's actually illegal. 

4 hours ago, Heathen said:

How is it illegal?( Legit question here.) It's immoral and unethical for sure, but I'm not sure it's actually illegal. 

I don’t think it was illegal. Redactions were made according to the rules in place at the time.

• Love 3

This is a legit question that by no means is meant to offend anyone...

... how do praying folks keep their faith in prayer when so many times they are left unfulfilled?

I ask this because Jill and her church are requesting prayers for Ukraine. And what is it exactly they are praying for?

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

... how do praying folks keep their faith in prayer when so many times they are left unfulfilled?

I ask this because Jill and her church are requesting prayers for Ukraine. And what is it exactly they are praying for?

I find their prayers to be very disingenuous with the name they gave their eldest child.  This is difficult to talk about here due to the no politics policy.  I really don't know what they are praying for here when they are silent on other atrocities.  It's not like they recognize the type of Christianity practiced in Ukraine.  They believe my Ukrainian Catholic ass has a one way ticket to hell for praying incorrectly to the wrong Jesus.  Same goes for Byzantine and Orthodox Christians.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I don’t think Jill is praying for anything specific. There’s a tragedy occurring on the global stage, and Jill has to make it about her. If pressed for details I would expect the praying for them to survive so they can accept the right Jesus as their savior. Jill is not a Christian, she’s a caricature. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I will answer in the prayer closet..hee hee.

• LOL 1

It's quite common for Christians to post that they're praying for whatever big-deal, constantly-covered-by-media tragedy/injustice is happening at the moment in order to get spirituality brownie points. It makes them look like they consistenly care about issues (when they really don't), it makes them look pious (in a good way to others in their circle), it makes them look like they're educated and aware of complicated issues like history and politics (when oftentimes it's below the level of the average American).  It's all a show, quite similar to how politicians and celebrities behave during times of crisis.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
22 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

It's quite common for Christians to post that they're praying for whatever big-deal, constantly-covered-by-media tragedy/injustice is happening at the moment in order to get spirituality brownie points. It makes them look like they consistenly care about issues (when they really don't), it makes them look pious (in a good way to others in their circle), it makes them look like they're educated and aware of complicated issues like history and politics (when oftentimes it's below the level of the average American).  It's all a show, quite similar to how politicians and celebrities behave during times of crisis.

Yep. It’s all religious and/or spiritual theater for some people (👀at you RFP).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm not even religious and I'm praying for Ukraine. I think its sweet what Jill posted. 

That's kind of where I'm coming from. Sweet isn't what folks in crisis need. They need safety, money, transportation, housing, diapers, food, etc. As far as I see, many prayers go unfulfilled, so I don't see prayers doing a whole lot of good for anyone in the throws of war.

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

That's kind of where I'm coming from. Sweet isn't what folks in crisis need. They need safety, money, transportation, housing, diapers, food, etc. As far as I see, many prayers go unfulfilled, so I don't see prayers doing a whole lot of good for anyone in the throws of war.

Yep, I’m sure a lot of people prayed during the Holocaust . . .   One million dead Americans from Covid, millions of homeless citizens including kids, etc. All need tangible help as you mentioned. We also hear a lot about “thoughts and prayers” from public figures and those with power and money after school shootings/mass shootings (multiple times a week in this country), but those won’t change anything. Those words are just performative lip service without action. 
MAYBE Derick learned something about how to truly affect change and help people through his legal education, and will teach Jill a few things, but I don’t hold out much hope. 

7E098311-D387-4225-8A73-19DCFD9F542E.jpeg

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Why does it look like they're standing on a ginormous sheet of ice in the last picture? Why is everyone except Derrick in short sleeves? Israel looks cold.

There are no footprints in the snow so I think they are superimposed onto that outdoor background. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

If she's due in July, she was pregnant during the trial. Damn, that must have been extra rough.

She also got pregnant very soon after her miscarriage which was announced in October.

34 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

There are no footprints in the snow so I think they are superimposed onto that outdoor background. 

Jill is casting a shadow. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Interesting - their photographer is based in Oregon and has photographed a few Roloffs. The pics look very filtered - the confetti looks fake and the boys have writing on their shirts in the second shot, but not the first. Jill looks big, is she 4 or 5 months along?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1