Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, cereality said:

Thanks for the summary @Jeeves. It's interesting that it is about money (at least in part) -- I had no idea they weren't being paid. Ultimately though I imagine Derick after a few yrs of marriage and a kid or 2 realized he was Mr. Duggar and didn't like it and probably was willing to do something about it given how much he appears not to respect JB/Michelle. I mean he seems like a douche still (watched a few min of a few videos last night) so I doubt he has buddies who could talk sense into him, but maybe it was his brother's marriage that made him realize his was effed up. I mean he's a southern baptist/conservative Christian too. As much as the Duggars and fundies generally (i.e. Bates etc.) act like the OWN Christianity, living life his way/how he was raised still means they'd be very very Christian conservative with the requisite racism, sexism, anti LGBT etc. stances all in tact. All it means is that he could use non hormonal BC so they end up with 2-4 kids instead of 1100 kids and he can knock back a beer once in a while and win win by showing his wife how effed up her family is and how much they've messed her up emotionally and taken advantage of her in everything from raising all their kids to financially, hey he doesn't have to see them for years if ever.

I have to imagine he rushed into being Mr. Duggar because he was freaking out that he wouldn't get married. After all in those conservative Christian communities and esp those that go to school in the south, it's find a steady girlfriend by sophomore year and ring by junior spring with a wedding within a month of graduation. He wasn't able to do that -- I'm sure in large part because his dad died suddenly as a freshman so he was overwhelmed enough that he probably didn't jump into dating or did so really half heartedly and no one fell in love with his douchy self. So then graduation comes and with no bride at the altar he says screw this, I'll go live overseas for a while. 1-2 years ticks by and he realizes hmm I'm not getting any younger and where am I going meet a white Christian. So he fills out an application and emails a resume to JB (I believe they've said this is what JB required back then to start courting) and bam instant courtship. And because Jill back them was SOOOO enamored with her family and how they did things, of course he twisted himself into pretzels saying he wanted to do exactly the same --- noooo I don't even want to hold my gf's hand or kiss her despite being 25 and knowing we'll be hoping into bed together 2 min after our vows a week from now; of course as many kids as God gives us; of course we'll live in any house your father gives us and then put up with his opinion on every aspect of our lives etc. And then at some point he woke up, realized he hated his inlaws and how they live and consequently how he lives and his wife is dumb and all kinds of messed up, so he can convince her to live more like how HE grew up . . . .

Just because you are a conservative Christian does not mean you are racist. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Your pre-schooler's teeth are rotting out of his head, and you are feeding him HOT FUDGE?

Stellar parenting there, Jill.  Seriously.  

And Jell-O! Real smart, for a kid who just had a mouthful of cavities filled 🙄

Jessa's kids eat a crap ton of sugar as well. Hopefully she's taking them for regular checkups.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 3

Wow, I'm sorry but in this day and age there is NO REASON that a little boy Izzy's age should need fillings. Obviously, Jill does not practice good dental hygiene with her children. Wasn't it a Duggar-objective to take proper care of their childrens' teeth? Michelle stated that  may times...good dental care isn't just orthodontics...it's practiced daily. Poor Izzy, all this was avoidable.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

It is not only about dental hygiene. I brush my son's teeth twice a day, regulary, since he got his first tooth. He is a very picky eater, does not eat lots of candy.

And yet he is 7 and has 5 fillings. First at the age of 4. His teeth are dense, obviously bad quality, like mine, and nothing helps. My dentist says there is nothing we are doing wrong.

I know a couple of kids that have worse teeth than my son, and go to the dentist every a couple of months. And I know some that have no problem.

I wouldn't blame the Dillards so much

This is true, genetics may have something to do with it. It can happen even within the same family. where 1 or 2 kids get the "good" teeth and 1 or 2 get the "bad" teeth. It can also be a sign or poor hygiene and lots of sugary treats. It can also happen to baby teeth with kids who were put to bed at night with bottles of milk.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

Totally agree that some people just have cavity-prone teeth and there's not much to be done about it...but the fact that Jill gave him a hot fudge sundae before the Novocain had even worn off is kind of shocking to me and does not breed confidence in her approach to dental care.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, thehorseofpower said:

Totally agree that some people just have cavity-prone teeth and there's not much to be done about it...but the fact that Jill gave him a hot fudge sundae before the Novocain had even worn off is kind of shocking to me and does not breed confidence in her approach to dental care.

This has nothing to do about cavities but when my son had all four wisdom teeth pulled (at once), we were sent home with a McDonald's ice cream voucher.  The dentist recommended we swing by and get right away.  It feels good on the gums.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I think I had my first cavity when I was 6 or 7.   It wasn't such an event like Jill made it out to be.  No special treats, foods or prayers.

I was a mother and over 30 before I ever had Novacain for a filling -- and I had a few fillings as a child too.

3 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

I think a big part of it was about Jill making herself feel better, judging by her post asking for prayers for herself because her baby was getting fillings.

• Love 5

I've got a friend who has horrid teeth and always has. She's 55 and has tons of fillings, root canals and crowns. Her parents had horrid teeth too, especially her mother. Her sons, fortunately, got their dad's teeth for the most part and only have a couple of fillings, and they're in their early 30s.  But I still think giving Izzy a hot fudge sundae after the dentist is a bit much. She could have taken him and bought him a small toy or something similar as a reward for being so brave. And as a side note, where my SIL lives, she sees kids Izzys age with a mouthful of silver crowns all the time. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I think I had my first cavity when I was 6 or 7.   It wasn't such an event like Jill made it out to be.  No special treats, foods or prayers.

From what I recall Jill had terrifying experiences at the dentist where she was in tears afraid and was forced to comply. So, I understand her making this special for him. It’s less about him and more about what she was forced to do as a kid.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

I know cavities are not automatically due to poor dental hygiene, but the fudge sundae afterward made me raise my eyebrows. I didn't get any fillings until I was an adult in my late 20s. (I think I've had 3? 2?), so I don't know anything about fillings in children. I personally couldn't eat after getting the fillings. (I was even dumb enough to order a breakfast burrito after getting one filling. I had to give up. LOL) I can see how ice cream might be soothing due to the coldness, and it is something I relied on heavily after wisdom tooth removals, but the hot fudge sundae seems like it would be counterproductive for that. 

• Love 9

You shouldn't give a young child anything to eat after a filling with Novocain. They don't know any better to be careful where they're numb and could end up biting/chewing/gnawing the numb area.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

You shouldn't give a young child anything to eat after a filling with Novocain. They don't know any better to be careful where they're numb and could end up biting/chewing/gnawing the numb area.

Not just young children, sadly! That was why I abandoned my breakfast burrito after my first filling. 😂 But I can see how it would definitely be a priority to ensure a kid wouldn't do it. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, thehorseofpower said:

The hot fudge sundae probably wasn’t a great idea, but it might give him more positive associations with dental visits in the future. I spent a great deal of my childhood at the dentist or orthodontist. No fillings, but quite a few teeth pulled because my mouth was too small, and then crooked teeth that needed braces. i didn’t have any cavities until I was in my 30s. So I understand the need to soothe Izzy somehow. To this day, I’d rather go to the gynecologist than the dentist!

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

What an adorable picture! And a Duggar picture without someone groping a baby bump! 

Who needs baby bumps when everyone knows that puppy pictures get the most likes on the internet? Team Fenna all the way.

• Love 21
12 minutes ago, leighdear said:

She's a prop.  And why the need to always identify her as a girl? 

Is Deertick at it again with his gender identification issues?  To me it sounds stupid.  

I think that's a normal way of addressing a dog. I know that I've heard it before -- it may be regional.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

Nope, not buying it.  Jill has been surrounded by women all her life and supposedly has many, many "sweet" friends that she always drags into her posts.  Her looking to a new dog to fulfill some sort of sisterhood is just ludicrous to me.  

And who is actually training the dog?  Does she just jump on the bus with her little leash & take herself off to doggie school every few days?  I attended obedience school WITH my dog, in my teens.  That's how he knew I was the "alpha" dog, not him.  I've never know of a well behaved family dog that didn't have to train with their actual owner. 

• Love 1

When I was a kid, our family dentist always gave the kids a coupon for a free cup of ice cream at the store next door.  We thought it was awesome! It probably did help with getting over the numbness and pain.

Both of my parents had bad teeth, but with fluoride their three kids ended up with pretty good teeth...in spite of that ice cream coupon!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Who needs baby bumps when everyone knows that puppy pictures get the most likes on the internet? Team Fenna all the way.

Don't tell Jessa, she'll drop off the kids at the pound and pick up three dogs!

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, JoanArc said:
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Don't tell Jessa, she'll drop off the kids at the pound and pick up three dogs!

Sadly, her kids would have a better chance getting an education and spending their lives as productive and satisfied members of society if this were to happen. And the dogs would be back at the pound in a week, maybe less.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I call my cat and dog as "the old ladies." Because they're old. Nothing transphobic about that. I used to call them the girls too. And I call my cat "the beauty queen" because that's what she is.

I have the Princess and the Queen. 😁

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I have the Princess and the Queen. 😁

I live with my husband and son. Our granddog is female. We've been fighting each other for the Queen title for a while now.

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My cat is a queen too. Snotty as hell. She never lets you forget it.

My late cat was a King. My current cat is the loony Prince and heir. 

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Nope, not buying it.  Jill has been surrounded by women all her life and supposedly has many, many "sweet" friends that she always drags into her posts.  Her looking to a new dog to fulfill some sort of sisterhood is just ludicrous to me.  

And who is actually training the dog?  Does she just jump on the bus with her little leash & take herself off to doggie school every few days?  I attended obedience school WITH my dog, in my teens.  That's how he knew I was the "alpha" dog, not him.  I've never know of a well behaved family dog that didn't have to train with their actual owner. 

A friend of mine sent her Norwegian elkhound puppy to training last year, without her. He was away at doggy boot camp for a few weeks by himself. It's common among professional dog trainers. 

I call my female cats my little girls. I called my (late) dogs my baby boy and my bichon girl. I don't find it weird at all. I'd find it weird if people didn't refer to their pets by gender. 

• Love 17