Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Heathen said:

And decent nutrition. I feel like crap after about a day of the standard American diet. They've had years of it. 

In all fairness, I'm not sure  what you consider "the standard American diet," but that's not what the Duggars eat. The standard American diet may not be super-healthy, but it's far from what the Duggars consume.

They eat cold beans out of a can and instant oatmeal made with warm-ish tap water. For family meals, they eat tuna fish with BBQ sauce and, occasionally, tater-tot casserole -- and family meals are few and far between.  For very special meals, they eat frozen lasagna (at least they cook it). They also consume a fair amount of snack food (chips, etc.), and an enormous amount of candy.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

The standard American diet may not be super-healthy, but it's far from what the Duggars consume.

They also don't even eat what I would consider a standard Southern diet, which can be high on calories but at least usually makes use of a lot of veggies as sides. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Do Duggar’s drink soda???

They have a built-in soda fountain in the "pretty kitchen" of the TTH, but they claim they don't have soda in it.  Who knows.

They also have a "snack fridge" which has been shown when one of the lost girls grabbed a slice of american processed cheese food as a snack.

• LOL 5
28 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

They have a built-in soda fountain in the "pretty kitchen" of the TTH, but they claim they don't have soda in it.  Who knows.

I'm afraid to ask but what is supposed to be in the soda fountain if it's not soda, according to them? 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm afraid to ask but what is supposed to be in the soda fountain if it's not soda, according to them? 

I don't think they ever said, but they did have plastic cups lined up at it with their names taped on each one.  Obviously it was filled with something.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

In all fairness, I'm not sure  what you consider "the standard American diet," but that's not what the Duggars eat. The standard American diet may not be super-healthy, but it's far from what the Duggars consume.

They eat cold beans out of a can and instant oatmeal made with warm-ish tap water. For family meals, they eat tuna fish with BBQ sauce and, occasionally, tater-tot casserole -- and family meals are few and far between.  For very special meals, they eat frozen lasagna (at least they cook it). They also consume a fair amount of snack food (chips, etc.), and an enormous amount of candy.

The Duggars eat a standard American diet. 

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/standard-american-diet/

https://www.uab.edu/inquiro/issues/past-issues/volume-9/82-the-effects-of-an-american-diet-on-health

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

They don't use it. It like an actual soda fountain that would require getting a CO2 tank, different flavor syrups, etc. Well beyond the Duggar range of effort.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, kaleidoscope said:

The soda fountain is filled with Kool-Aid!

Bahahaha

Flavor Aid to save a dollar. 😄 (And Match Jim Jones.)

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

They don't use it. It like an actual soda fountain that would require getting a CO2 tank, different flavor syrups, etc. Well beyond the Duggar range of effort.

I've always wanted a vintage 1940s soda fountain setup (which I know is an irrational pipe dream), so it makes me irrationally angry that they have a normal soda fountain that they ignore. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Bahahaha

I've always wanted a vintage 1940s soda fountain setup (which I know is an irrational pipe dream), so it makes me irrationally angry that they have a normal soda fountain that they ignore. 

Does it help if theirs looks like one you see in 5 Guys or McDonald's?

• LOL 8

From an article that references the soda fountain:

A soda fountain stocked with Coca-Cola products sits tucked into a nook beside the kitchen for special occasions when guests visit. "It will probably have a big cover over it," Michelle Duggar said.

"And a key to turn it off," Jim Bob Duggar added.

Just a random picture, not from the article:

DD4E0A4C-E75A-4164-844F-82DA26C9D501.jpeg

• Useful 4
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

From an article that references the soda fountain:

A soda fountain stocked with Coca-Cola products sits tucked into a nook beside the kitchen for special occasions when guests visit. "It will probably have a big cover over it," Michelle Duggar said.

"And a key to turn it off," Jim Bob Duggar added.

Just a random picture, not from the article:

DD4E0A4C-E75A-4164-844F-82DA26C9D501.jpeg

Then why even have it in the first plac?

• Love 10
Just now, MargeGunderson said:

Then why even have it in the first plac?

I've heard two stories. One was TLC bought it. The other was when JB bought industrial appliances at an auction, it came with the lot.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I've heard two stories. One was TLC bought it. The other was when JB bought industrial appliances at an auction, it came with the lot.

JB did buy the whole commercial kitchen at an auction and the soda fountain was part of it.  It came from a Kmart that went out of business. They said they just use the cold water dispenser.

• Useful 10
  • Love 2

My 6'2" son and his 6' wife are expecting their first and we're all curious about how tall this child will be, just as we wondered whether grand #1, from a second set of parents, would have curls (he does). Grand #3, from still other parents, has gorgeous dark brown eyes that no one on our side of the family has. I think genetic variation is interesting and beautiful, and I also think it's extremely important to teach kids to love and accept their own bodies. Personally I don't see a conflict there.  

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Zella said:

Bahahaha

Another who knows about the Flavor Aid at Jonestown 🙂!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Another who knows about the Flavor Aid at Jonestown 🙂!

I have what some might consider an unhealthy amount of Jonestown trivia floating around in my brain after a research binge a few years ago. But that's the only one I get to drop in conversation semiregularly without seeming like a complete weirdo. 🙃

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I have what some might consider an unhealthy amount of Jonestown trivia floating around in my brain after a research binge a few years ago. But that's the only one I get to drop in conversation semiregularly without seeming like a complete weirdo. 🙃

I notice there are a few of us out there when the subject comes up!

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

I knew I liked you - and you too @DangerousMinds 😉

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Puppies are not compatible with gardens, at least not in my life.  I once spent an entire fall morning planting spring bulbs in the beds in my backyard, my dalmatian puppy tagging along.  I went into the house, leaving her outside since I have a doggie door.  In about half an hour, I looked out to see where she was.  She was sitting in the middle of the deck; every single bulb I'd planted that morning surrounding her.  She was so proud of her work, she found them all!

I can laugh because I didn't have my work destroyed.    The squirrels are the ones who dig up mine.

• Love 4

Jill said she fenced off the area where the garden will be. Probably the same corner she had the buckets in. She would have only needed to do one side.

I’m picturing the dog digging under it in no time.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Tikichick said:

I can laugh because I didn't have my work destroyed.    The squirrels are the ones who dig up mine.

Rabbits out by me. Not just bulbs but everything. My mom used to joke I provided them with a nice salad. Two years ago, I thought I would put some flowers in a high enough standing planter that they rabbits couldn't get at. My petunias were gorgeous, blossoming like crazy. The next day, I went out and they were gone 😞 The bulbs I put in when we first moved didn't make it a year. Only 3 or 4 still come up and I don't know how they missed them! I have hostas and we spray deer (and rabbit) keep away on them. I might try marigolds again as rabbits don't care for them. Just waiting for it to warm  up some more. 

• Love 1
On 4/11/2021 at 5:19 PM, louannems said:

JB did buy the whole commercial kitchen at an auction and the soda fountain was part of it.  It came from a Kmart that went out of business. They said they just use the cold water dispenser.

Yeah but they didn’t have to install it. Weird. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Some people plant things and do landscaping in their FRONT yard.  Where they can enjoy the view, other people can see their lovely efforts and fenced-in animals can't destroy them. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 12
59 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think this is a bad idea, honestly. Their yard could use a little work, and Jill could really use a hobby -- it's better than lolling around the house all day, every day, doing nothing. She might enjoy it, and it might be a fun activity to share with her kids (or not -- it might be a nice way to relax away from her kids, too). Fenna might dig everything up if left unsupervised, but it's no great loss -- it's not Versailles.

In some ways, Jill is like Fenna right now. Pretty much everything is a new experience for her, and she's going to need to try some things to learn what she likes to do and what she's good at.

Well put!

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Some people plant things and do landscaping in their FRONT yard.  Where they can enjoy the view, other people can see their lovely efforts and fenced-in animals can't destroy them. 

That's what I was thinking. Since she does container gardening she can even have her veggies out front.

• Love 3

I hope this gardening endeavor works out better than expected. I'd hate to see them angry with Fenna all summer and the boys being upset their plants got destroyed. And hopefully they don't plant anything that's toxic to Fenna.

Its just so Duggarish, diving into to things just because they want to, with no planning. Like adopting Fenna days before they go to an out of town wedding. Or going to El Salvador with an infant. 

There are plenty more summers to garden and plenty of things a stay-at-home mom can do with her time.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Anyone else do a double take?

BCB6EE01-D307-4DBE-A4CC-0461A687394B.jpeg

What shocked me was that when someone pointed that out, Jill actually acknowledged that it looks some sort of way! She explained that Sam was trying to hold the shovel without his hands. He was leaning over and looked up for the camera at her request, and the result was a picture that didn’t quite capture the vibe she was going for.

• LOL 17
  • Love 2