Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

On 4/23/2021 at 5:19 AM, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if either of them are still seeing a therapist.

I think that they are since they mention it in their Q&As. Most recently when they first got Fenna they were talking about their schedule with her; taking her to training etc and mentioned therapy as part of that week's schedule. 

I know many maybe even most find going barefoot in public gross but there are a few who have no problem with it. I prefer being barefoot and was most of the time when I was a child (and into adulthood).  Though I wear shoes in public places I would take them off when trying on clothes and leave the dressing room barefoot to show someone.  

• Love 11

I wonder if Jill or Derick prefer parenting the kids when they are older as opposed to parenting babies? I think that may be the case with Derick at least. Whereas Michelle preferred them when they were babies. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Why is she barefoot?! Eeeek. 

Probably she was wearing sandals or slides or some shoe without socks. 

I think it's normal to take off shoes when trying clothes. Especially if are removing pants. 

The floor looks clean. It doesn't bother me.

• Love 14
23 hours ago, Temperance said:

I doubt they'll have anywhere close to 20 children, probably closer to five kids.

I'm a firm believer that people don't skip developmental stages. When people try to skip normal developmental stages, they go through them at a later time, often in inappropriate ways.

Jill arguably was denied part of her childhood, and inarguably was denied a normal adolescence. I think we're more likely to see Jill in short skirts crushing on boy bands than we are to see her birthing more babies.

Since birthing babies is all that Jill has ever believed she was supposed to do, I could be 100% wrong about this. That happy girl, though, in that unflattering dress and cute hat looks like a happy tween to me. I think it's a toss-up as to whether her deeply ingrained conditioning wins out over her newfound happiness.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 4/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, cmr2014 said:

I didn't watch the video, but didn't they say that they were both "open" to having more children? That's a lot less certain than definitely having more.

This may be a discussion that they tabled while Derick was in law school that will resurface the day after he graduates, or passes the bar.

I say this about all of them, but there is no reason for these two to get back on the baby train. Derick doesn't seem to like small children, and I think that Jill likes being a mom a lot less than she expected.

I know that her role as a "Breeder for Jesus" has been drilled into her since early childhood and concepts like "we don't want more" or "we can't handle more" probably don't really register with her, so who knows.

I wonder if Jill could even admit to herself that she doesn't have "a heart" for mothering babies and very young children?   I actually don't think the enjoys the responsibility of mothering infants and very young children 24/7 without the flexibility of sisters immediately at hand to swap some of the load with.   If true, I wonder if she can freely admit it even to herself?   My hunch is no.  I think to a large part she still lives in a headspace where she is and feels she should be what she was always raised to believe she was and should be -- deeply loving babies, which led her to midwifery and ultimately motherhood immediately after marrying.

Not sure she's ever really given herself permission to consider who she is and what she enjoys and might want to be for herself.  Tragic, ultimately all the Duggar 19 are effectively rootbound plants accustomed to survival in pots that are way too small.

• Love 17
16 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I actually don't think the enjoys the responsibility of mothering infants and very young children 24/7 without the flexibility of sisters immediately at hand to swap some of the load with. 

So true.  I often wonder if the "mothering" that the J'Slaves did was all for the cameras and that they really did not enjoy it at all.  I have a feeling those little kids and babies were passed around constantly.

• Love 6
Just now, iwantcookies said:

If D passes the bar exam he will be the most educated Duggar adjacent. 

No Duggar even finished real high school never mind college. 

That is true... yet having him be the most educated Duggar adjacent scares me...

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

If D passes the bar exam he will be the most educated Duggar adjacent. 

No Duggar even finished real high school never mind college. 

Is a Master's degree higher than a law degree? Jeremy might graduate before Derick passes the bar.

• LOL 3
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Is a Master's degree higher than a law degree? Jeremy might graduate before Derick passes the bar.

I don’t count any degree that Jeremy gets from McArthur as valid. 

But if I did they would be equal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Huh, what I saw online after I posted said some are Bachelor's level. So Derick has been in a doctoral program? 

I looked it up, U of A only does JD degrees and some kind of dual degree with their ag department.   

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I looked it up, U of A only does JD degrees and some kind of dual degree with their ag department.   

From what I can find online, which includes a lot of conflicting info, a JD is sometimes seen as the equivalent to a Master's, as there is actually a Master's of Law degree of which a JD is a pre-req.

But again, the info is all over the place. I read one thing that said a JD isn't an actual doctorate and then read in another place it is.

• Useful 2
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

From what I can find online, which includes a lot of conflicting info, a JD is sometimes seen as the equivalent to a Master's, as there is actually a Master's of Law degree of which a JD is a pre-req.

But again, the info is all over the place. I read one thing that said a JD isn't an actual doctorate and then read in another place it is.

I assume the JD degree is like a pharmD.  Technically a doctorate,  but its a professional degree and no research or dissertation.   When I worked in pharmacy,  I worked with pharmacists with the old bachelor's in pharmacy and pharmDs.  The difference in education was negligible.   The shift from a BS in pharmacy to pharmDs was more about milking money out of students than having better educated pharmacists especially ones who only ever work retail.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

My understanding is that the law degree is like a terminal degree, so in that sense it is comparable to a doctorate (even part of the name juris doctorate), but that people with PhDs can get sniffy about that because of the lack of a research component.

The registrar at C of O when I was there had a law degree and insisted on being called Dr. and that really set off the humanities PhDs every time it came up in conversation. LOL

• LOL 11
  • Love 6

Just wait until the last weeks before the bar.  He may have bar prep going now along with finals.  

Just wait until his first year at any professional job.  If Jill thought being separated from him for eight hours a day as an accountant was bad, just wait until he is working his first year as a lawyer.  She has definitely matured and has therapy, but it still going to be hard, especially with two kids and a dog to worry about. 

Derick is the type of person that will make people call him Doctor Dillard. Clients, grocery store cashiers, Pizza delivery boys, anyone. He earned the right to feel superior to you and he’s going to use it.  Dr. and Mrs. Dillard coming soon. 

• Love 9

Personally, I don't think the Dillards needed a dog at this time. Lots going on there right now. A new dog needs stability and Jill is just too stressed to have anything more to handle. Fenna is a cutie but a large dog in a small house and backyard.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

I wonder if Jill and/or Derrick would be open to the possibility of moving out of Arkansas should Derrick receive a job offer out of state.

Generally lawyers have to pass the bar in a particular state to practice law there, as each state has their own.   There are some exceptions, but even one of the exceptions involves having been a practicing attorney in another state for a number of years.    

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

I wonder if Jill and/or Derrick would be open to the possibility of moving out of Arkansas should Derrick receive a job offer out of state.

That's a great question. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

• Love 1

Networking-wise, a U of A law degree might pay off more in Arkansas (unless you get into the food law specialty, which they are very well-known and respected for.) That's not a knock on the U of A law school, but I've just personally noticed most graduates stay in Arkansas or end up in an adjacent state, especially Missouri, Oklahoma, or Texas. There are also quite a few corporate headquarters to choose from in NWA. A lot of U of A grads in general jump from college to there without ever having to leave the area. Beyond WalMart and Sam's Club, there's also Tyson Foods and JB Hunt, just off the top of my head. I think Arvest Bank is there too. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 1

Most legal sources regard the Arkansas bar as only slightly less difficult to pass than the California bar, considered to be the most difficult. 

Dillweed hasn't even graduated yet.  He may have done fine thus far, but he's a LONG way from practicing law anywhere.  

Even JFK Jr. failed the bar on his first try. 

• Useful 5

The jury is still out for me regarding Fenna. The Duggars, including Jill and Derick, don't seem to stick with anything challenging. Fenna is not a kid you can tire out to put down for a nap. Its going to be a while before she will "go lay down", stop chewing and stop wanting to play. And its my experience young kids get tired of active puppies (like most things) very quickly. My fingers are crossed that Fenna ends up being a good fit and is happy as a Dillard.

• Love 12

Having taken the California bar exam (twice!), I would be very surprised (and impressed) if Derrick passes his (Arkansas)bar exam on the first try. I have a few classmates from law school who have taken the bar more than two times. 

It’s not fun. 🙄

• Useful 5
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, rue721 said:

The advice is to go to school in the geographic area where you're going to practice. Going to U of A will set Derick up well for practicing in Arkansas, both because of the network and because he'll be trained in Arkansas law for the Arkansas bar. Well, and also because it was probably relatively inexpensive for him. The only exception to the advice to go to school where you want to practice is if you're talking about going to Harvard Law, or possibly one of the other top handful of schools in the country that have massive national "brand" recognition. U of A was a very good choice for him, it's the top school in the state he wants to stay in and that's always a great thing. I'm sure he'll be able to find a relatively good job, but it's true that the hours might be long and he may not enjoy it as much as he enjoyed law school... only time will tell.

I agree with this.  This is very good information.  It is good to go to law school in the state you intend to practice law in. I also believe that for most legal jobs you have to be admitted to the bar in the state you practice. So Derick couldn't go practice law in Kansas without taking the Kansas bar.

As of the way D. C. is set up now, he could be lawyer in D. C. which has lawyers from 50 states. (After he takes the bar.) 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Temperance said:

As of the way D. C. is set up now, he could be lawyer in D. C. which has lawyers from 50 states. (After he takes the bar.) 

Ooooh... burn for Joshly. He always wanted to be a lawyer (supposedly) and he used to work in DC before his fall from grace. I am not a Derick fan, but man... that move would be awesome! *runs to pop some popcorn*

• LOL 9
  • Love 9

JFK Junior also had a hard time passing the bar, right?

Look at us, comparing the Dillards to the Kennedys. I’m picturing Derreck floating on a piece of debris from PT 109 vague-booking some really nasty tweets.

• LOL 11
15 hours ago, Zella said:

I really hope that's a still from a video because, if it isn't, it is the world's weirdest and most terrifying graduation picture. 

It has to be a still because graduation is on may 8th

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Yes, the picture of Derick is from a video.

When I post a screenshot from a video, I try to make that clear, each time by stating, From a video or Screenshot from a video.

Yes, also the formatting at the top indicates its a screenshot from Jill's insta-story rather than a post (if anyone is wondering in the future). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 4/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, BigBingerBro said:

So true.  I often wonder if the "mothering" that the J'Slaves did was all for the cameras and that they really did not enjoy it at all.  I have a feeling those little kids and babies were passed around constantly.

I think they resented it immensely, but tried not to show it, or tried to pray away the resentment.  I remember the very first People magazine article about the Duggars.  It was sort of an introduction to the family.  There was a quote by one of the older girls (they didn't name her, but I'm guessing Jill or Jana), about taking care of the little ones.  I don't remember the exact quote, but it was full of resentment, something like, "It's not fun to be taking care of your sisters and brothers all the time."  I'm sure Michelle and JB, if they found out who said it, must have punished her thoroughly.  

• Love 1