Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Like someone said a while ago, it’ll be interesting if Jill ends up outgrowing Derick’s rigid, harsh worldview. I think it’s at least a possibility. 

I don’t get the sense that Jill is an especially hateful person, although I think a lot of hateful beliefs have been normalized for her (by her family and the little bubble she’s lived in). She seems very anxious to me, but not especially hateful 🤷🏻‍♀️ That said, Derick is certainly hateful and spiteful and angry, so who knows how that’s going to turn out.

Anyhow, my hope for her is that she starts taking some classes and/or gets a job. I can just 100% see her as a nurse, if she can handle the rigor of the education.

• Love 20
(edited)

I'm not sure I can see Jill hacking it as a nurse. I just don't think she can handle the academic rigor, and she showed such bad judgment as a midwife, that I think personal growth for her might be admitting that she wasn't cut out for what she had wanted to do and being okay with that. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 21

I don't see Jill as hateful either. Like @rue721 said, she likely doesn't know some of her beliefs are hateful. At his point in her life, Jill would struggle with any kind of job. She has never been held to any schedule - ever. I imagine by hour 4 she would be wanting to go home.

• Love 18
40 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm not sure I can see Jill hacking it as a nurse. I just don't think she can handle the academic rigor, and she showed such bad judgment as a midwife, that I think personal growth for her might be admitting that she wasn't cut out for what she had wanted to do and being okay with that. 

Not only couldn't she handle it academically, but as "not hateful" as she might be, she'd hit a wall really, really early when dealing with the general population and the variety of beliefs and lifestyles there. She'd be an abysmal nurse or any other profession that requires one to truly put their personal beliefs aside and care for someone else.

1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I spent the majority of my life in conservative, evangelical churches where women worked and wore whatever they wanted and those despicable beliefs were preached from the pulpit. I'm always surprised when people point them out as if it were some oddity, but in my experience the majority of christians feel the same way. 

I don't expect Derick and Jill to start supporting the LGBT+ community as long as they're attending churches that preach against it.

Exactly. The Duggars got so much attention not just because of their numbers, but because they were such visual oddities. The clothes and the hair are easy to focus on, and when those things change it seems more significant that it is. Jill may be a dumbass, but she knows good and goddamn well what her beliefs are and why people dislike her for it, even though she and her ilk tell themselves that their beliefs are about loving their neighbors and ensuring they don't go to hell. She's not without agency in this.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Like someone said a while ago, it’ll be interesting if Jill ends up outgrowing Derick’s rigid, harsh worldview. I think it’s at least a possibility. 

I don’t get the sense that Jill is an especially hateful person, although I think a lot of hateful beliefs have been normalized for her (by her family and the little bubble she’s lived in). She seems very anxious to me, but not especially hateful 🤷🏻‍♀️ That said, Derick is certainly hateful and spiteful and angry, so who knows how that’s going to turn out.

Anyhow, my hope for her is that she starts taking some classes and/or gets a job. I can just 100% see her as a nurse, if she can handle the rigor of the education.

I really can't see Jill ever doing or thinking anything that is in conflict with Derick's beliefs.  For all that she seems to have changed, nothing has challenged Derick's views.  She may not be a hateful person, but she has had nothing but the idea that all LGBT+ people are sinful from the people who matter to her.

Also, she has never had to deal with a schedule or any formal education so it is hard to imagine that she is capable of training to be a nurse or any professional or even to hold down a full time job.

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Not only couldn't she handle it academically, but as "not hateful" as she might be, she'd hit a wall really, really early when dealing with the general population and the variety of beliefs and lifestyles there. She'd be an abysmal nurse or any other profession that requires one to truly put their personal beliefs aside and care for someone else.

Exactly. The Duggars got so much attention not just because of their numbers, but because they were such visual oddities. The clothes and the hair are easy to focus on, and when those things change it seems more significant that it is. Jill may be a dumbass, but she knows good and goddamn well what her beliefs are and why people dislike her for it, even though she and her ilk tell themselves that their beliefs are about loving their neighbors and ensuring they don't go to hell. She's not without agency in this.

Exactly what I was trying to say.  The changes are superficial.

• Love 8

I think Jill would also really struggle with any task that requires her to be alone. It's not surprising to me that she has some issues about that because of the way she was raised, but I'd imagine if a boss assigned her a task that required her to sit in a cubicle and work by herself for a few hours, she would be jumping up every few minutes to talk to someone or call Derick or basically anything that didn't involve sitting there by herself. 

• Love 18

As much trouble as Jill has had adapting to parenting two pre-schoolers, scheduling her and their days, keeping up with the house cleaning and cooking, plus finding activities for their sons, I think she's pretty much maxed out on her capabilities until Sam goes to school.  I can't see someone like that being able to handle the multi-taxing of nursing without a lot of personal change.

• Love 16
54 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I think Jill looks great in her jean shorts. Baby showers are hardly formal events. 

In light of the @GeeGolly's suspicions in the media thread, it makes me worried to see Jill with Joy. 

I think that depends on the shower. A backyard one is very informal. A brunch at a nice restaurant is formal. The rest fall somewhere in between.

I'm dress very casual, even for work, I'm on the low side of business casual, but if I'm invited to an event, I will always dress for it. Maybe its just me.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think that depends on the shower. A backyard one is very informal. A brunch at a nice restaurant is formal. The rest fall somewhere in between.

I'm dress very casual, even for work, I'm on the low side of business casual, but if I'm invited to an event, I will always dress for it. Maybe its just me.

It really does. If its an informal one then jeans are fine. If its a more nicer event then nicer clothes. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Let's face it, these are the Duggars who only seem to dress up for weddings.  I can't imagine Joy wanting a semi-formal baby shower.

The pics they showed were of guests dressed nicely.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I would love to have a place to wear a cute, casual summer dress right now. But I wouldn’t risk it even if I were invited.

• Love 21
10 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I would love to have a place to wear a cute, casual summer dress right now. But I wouldn’t risk it even if I were invited.

Before all this happened, I bought a really cute long summery dress that is gray and white tie dye. The perfect thing to wear with sandals on a nice vacation, sitting out by the water having a glass of wine with a meal.  We didn't go anywhere last year as I had surgeries. And the year before that, my dad was ill with brain cancer. This was going to be my year! I finally ended up wearing it out to dinner one night but it just didn't have the same feel. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Let's face it, these are the Duggars who only seem to dress up for weddings.  I can't imagine Joy wanting a semi-formal baby shower.

Yes! If she was wearing shoes she was dressed up.

Edited by zenme
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Ugh. I so feel this. 

My niece had a 'drive by' bridal shower last weekend.  She wore a cute sundress and my sister and I attended wearing our summer dresses that have gone nowhere this summer.  We got out of the car to greet her from a distance, wearing masks and left the gift on a table set up in her driveway.  She gave us a little bag of treats to take home. Very festive.

If I were Jill, I would've worn something a little dressier from 3130 for the occasion.  However, unlike me, it's not like she's been staying home or social distancing.  It's been life as usual, so she probably doesn't care if she dresses up.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Here is one pic of the shower. I believe someone posted more in Joy's thread.Joy-Anna-Duggar-and-Carlin-Bates-Baby-Sh

Carlin's dress looks like a summer sleep shirt.  If Carlin's happy, I'm happy for her. Carlin should wear what she wants, but her dress is not formal imo. 

It could be generational, probably my mom would dress up more than I would.   I also would dress more formerly if we were going to a nice restaurant rather than someone's house. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Carlin's dress looks like a summer sleep shirt.  If Carlin's happy, I'm happy for her. Carlin should wear what she wants, but her dress is not formal imo. 

It could be generational, probably my mom would dress up more than I would.   I also would dress more formerly if we were going to a nice restaurant rather than someone's house. 

It might be generational or regional, or even based on social class.  It’s never occurred to me to dress up for a baby shower.  Most showers I’ve been to (I’m at the age where there are a ton), the mother is even dressed pretty casually. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

"Me and the boys." Ugh. Way to model proper grammar for your kids.

I bet if any of the Duggars were asked what was grammatically wrong with that title, they couldn't tell you. 😞 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Temperance said:

The new look for summer 2020 is a nap dress.  A nap dress is a fancy word for a nice enough cotton nightgown that you just wear all day while social distancing at home.  Carlin's look is right on trend. 

Just look at this one, it even fits the Duggar-Bates-Rodrigues modesty standards

image.thumb.png.4fbf6843b35e7da029959b828f4544ff.png

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The new look for summer 2020 is a nap dress.  A nap dress is a fancy word for a nice enough cotton nightgown that you just wear all day while social distancing at home.  Carlin's look is right on trend. 

Just look at this one, it even fits the Duggar-Bates-Rodrigues modesty standards

image.thumb.png.4fbf6843b35e7da029959b828f4544ff.png

Throw a few snaps in the front and it could be an old school housecoat.

• LOL 13
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, zenme said:

Am I the only one who likes this frock? I love it! I’d totally wear it with some wedge sandals! 

Me too, if it was shorter. Or maybe tunic length with capri leggings.

• Love 7