Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, EVS said:

The idea that there is a “Michelle type” is kind of scary, lol. 

What type would that be? 

Insane Christian Clowncar Posse?

Menopausal Martyrs with Minnie Mouse Voices?

Bible Banging Baby Factories?

Sorry, I’m in a strange mood tonight!

???

Did anyone else notice the boxes in Sam’s smash cake pic?  I wonder where they’re headed next?

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips

Derick has his Cross Church School of Ministry graduation tomorrow, probably during the Sunday morning church service.  Expect a typical Duggar party and Instagram posting.  The Instagram post will direct you to the Dillards' website, where they hope to collect money from the Google ads it displays.  The good news is that we probably will be spared viewing one of Jill/Michelle's recipes on Sunday.

• Love 10

Her pizza recipe is so condescending. She is pretend poor telling us actually poor folk how to make a meal for cheap. Guess what, Jill? We KNOW! We also know how to look for the cheapest price sauce. I would have made a quesadilla with the sauce and cheese or made a cheese quesadilla and dipped it in the sauce, but you do you. I also would have made my own sauce using canned tomatoes because that is even cheaper. 

• Love 21
21 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Is that an actual sighting of Cathy's husband?!

Love how Sam appears to be naked but for his bib/ diaper in the first two pictures. 

More Duggars sitting on tables...

Last picture: Joy and Austin actually look legit happy for once. And my favorite Duggar James gets to be on baby duty. Michelle looks awkward AF trying to corral Sam, and appears to be wearing the same dress that got all the comments in the post-Josiah wedding photos.

Isn't James the one we previously saw in a group TLC photo holding a content and happy baby Henry?  I remembered thinking "Hey, if this is constant, I think we found the one with a 'heart for children'!"

18 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Boy that has to be one gloppy mess using soft white bread & not easy for anyone to pick up & eat, yet alone a kid. 

I think my son made it using tortillas when he was in school & it wasn't too bad. Like  others have said, just as easy to use English muffins or pillsbury but I guess that would get away from the Poor Man theme.

Yeah, I feel kind of sure the idea for scratch pizza is that it should at least have a bottom crust stern enough to hold up to the challenge of the sauce, and not immediately drop hot sauce on the eater's hands.  (Then again, I'm the type of person who will not make grilled cheese or buttered toast with air holes running clear through slices, with my mind on the same problem; so it's possible I'm more finicky than others about my food.  With English muffins, I tend to burn my mouth because the sauce under the cheese is uneven due to the nooks and crannies, so I have a lot of food issues.)  If you toasted the bread, maybe it would do the job.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Isn't James the one we previously saw in a group TLC photo holding a content and happy baby Henry? 

Yes. One of the many reasons James is my fave Duggar. He always seemed like a pretty chill chaperone, too.

Since he's a member of Jill's buddy group (and therefore also close to Joy), I'm torn between thinking maybe seeing his two buddy sisters in marriages that may be less than ideal might open his eyes somewhat... or that he might look up to Derrick and Austin as role models (please no!).

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Trillium said:

Does she not realize her cooking skills are that a 12 year old? 

Lol, don’t insult 12 yr olds!  ?. My pre-teen has been making recipes from scratch for years. Opens a cookbook and everything, gets out real ingredients (actual flour, sugar, eggs), uses kitchen tools, and uses the oven.  All of which seems like is beyond jill’S capabilities!  

• Love 13
17 hours ago, EVS said:

The idea that there is a “Michelle type” is kind of scary, lol. 

What type would that be? 

Insane Christian Clowncar Posse?

Menopausal Martyrs with Minnie Mouse Voices?

Bible Banging Baby Factories?

Sorry, I’m in a strange mood tonight!

Lazy, “can’t do any dirty work because bell sleeves!” types. Or people who want little skirts for their forearms.

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, awaken said:

Lol, don’t insult 12 yr olds!  ?. My pre-teen has been making recipes from scratch for years. Opens a cookbook and everything, gets out real ingredients (actual flour, sugar, eggs), uses kitchen tools, and uses the oven.  All of which seems like is beyond jill’S capabilities!  

Yep. I was cooking waaay more complex recipes at that age than Jill is capable of. Jill could have even "fancied" up her pizza "recipe" by using Italian bread for a "French bread pizza" variety (a la Stouffer's). Would have held up better than tortillas, and tastier (IMO) too (but more expensive).

• Love 2

I've noticed that the majority of Jill's "recipes" don't require any actual measuring.  She's always using a whole can/jar/box of something or just sprinkling cheese on top.  No use of measuring cups or spoons.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, cdp73 said:

I've noticed that the majority of Jill's "recipes" don't require any actual measuring.  She's always using a whole can/jar/box of something or just sprinkling cheese on top.  No use of measuring cups or spoons.

Well she rarely uses any spice not even pepper.  It's just salt, salt and then some more salt.  

• Love 10
(edited)
4 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I think it may have more to do with their controlling style of parenting -- almost every situation is an opportunity to "teach" obedience. Jill's rationale for having a second child was that "Izzy needs to learn he's not the center of the universe." He wasn't even two at the time. 

I think that a lot of what we observe as unkindness or neglect of izzy, they consider "parenting." Most people today want their children to be kind and compassionate, curious and confident, and intelligent and inquisitive. Gothardites want their children to be obedient -- full stop.

For them, it doesn't matter if Izzy feels left out -- he should have to work for his parent's attention. It doesn't matter if the boys end up rivals -- rivals snitch on each other and allow parents to maintain full control. Every one of these things that we see as a huge parenting fail has its own reading in their bizarr-o world. 

Whether on purpose or by lack of intuition, authoritarian style parenting is sad.

(I re-read that and it sounds bitchy. It's not at all. I agree with your post.) :)

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, graefin said:

Yep. I was cooking waaay more complex recipes at that age than Jill is capable of. Jill could have even "fancied" up her pizza "recipe" by using Italian bread for a "French bread pizza" variety (a la Stouffer's). Would have held up better than tortillas, and tastier (IMO) too (but more expensive).

Hey, I love my flour tortilla pizzas! It all depends if you like a thick or thin pizza. I like the tortilla pizzas occasionally when I don't feel like cooking and its the only time I get anchovies on it. 

You'd hope Jill would get her foot off homebase and experiment a little, even if it were exotic toppings like pineapple...

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Trillium said:

And way too much sauce and not enough cheese! That had to be awful tasting. I’ve done tortilla pizzas before on a low carb tortilla to fit my low carb diet, but it certainly wasn’t worthy of sharing with anyone and not what I would consider a recipe  

Does she not realize her cooking skills are that a 12 year old? I wasn’t a great cook when I was first married but I knew I sucked. Not because my husband complained, but I knew boxed foods and cans of stuff wasn’t cooking. But I learned. I read recipes, researched best practices and now I’m very good. I make 90% of what we eat from scratch. I still don’t have a blog because no one cares, and I have a full time job. She has no job. She could watch Alton Brown tutorial videos and learn so much.  

My daughter is 12 and can totally cook better than Jill.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, cdp73 said:

The fractions on the cups and spoons probably confuse her.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

The fractions on the cups and spoons probably confuse her.

Good point. After all, this is the same woman who couldn't figure out the intracicies of Minute Rice, and the ratio is 1:1. Fractions would probably send her over the edge.

• Love 13
22 hours ago, cdp73 said:

Why would she need measuring cups or spoons?   She has Solo cups and cereal spoons.

• Love 3
On 7/28/2018 at 8:53 AM, Trillium said:

Does she not realize her cooking skills are that a 12 year old? 

21 hours ago, MrsClaus said:

My daughter is 12 and can totally cook better than Jill.

23 hours ago, cdp73 said:

12-year-olds have typically learned fractions by this point, so I would say that Jilly's cooking skills are more like a 6- or 7-year-old.

• Love 10
On 2018-07-21 at 9:16 PM, irisheyes said:

When it’s 100+ degrees outside, I know that what I crave is a heavy meat and potatoes meal. /sarcasm

Why doesn’t Jill post some summer recipes?  Teach us how to make that big green salad, Jill!

Empty 12 bags of salad into a huge bucket.  Dump in 2 bottles of ranch dressing. Mix.  Wal-la.

• Love 17
29 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I was holding out hope that we'd get Derick pretend graduation photos today.  They didn't even put an announcement on the church website that I could find.

All I saw was the graduation date. I guess Jill is putting together a wonderful blog post, which she will promote by taking a picture of her laptop.

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

All I saw was the graduation date. I guess Jill is putting together a wonderful blog post, which she will promote by taking a picture of her laptop.

For all of Derick's claims that he "has a job," it sure seems like Jill is doing all the "work," eh? Those hits (and revenue) don't generate themselves!

• Love 4

We call it food box soup. Every month you can get a box of food from the local food bank. It's mainly canned stuff, but there's usually a pound of frozen hamburger, hot dogs, or lunch meat. We don't generally like canned veggies, so during the brief time in my life that I was getting food from the food bank, I would fry the hamburger with onions & garlic, then dump in the canned veggies, a couple of potatoes, and some beef stock. That, along with Bisquick biscuits, would be our dinner for the night.

• Love 19
10 minutes ago, awaken said:

Is that literally undrained cans of vegetables dumped in a pot?  Lots of fresh vegetables are IN SEASON right now and one could make a gorgeous, simple meal. 

In a word, yes.   Here is the “recipe”

040C2D5D-7EAB-42C2-8F5D-464CFDC1A09D.jpeg

86FB6EC5-15BC-4C68-A6A9-36EFAD2817C7.jpeg

• Love 1
(edited)

That’s not stew. That’s soup. I’d call it beef vegetable, except I’ve never seen it made with hamburger. I use stew meat or sirloin.  To be honest, I usually use frozen veggies because I usually only make it in the winter. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8

Jill's recipes are unintentional comedy. They always seem to make me laugh. So if like Jill said, one substitutes frozen vegetables in place of canned, shouldn't she specify that those people may need to use some stock/broth to make up for not having any canned liquid? Oh why am I asking, it is Jill logic. 

• Love 24
(edited)
57 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

In a word, yes.   Here is the “recipe”

040C2D5D-7EAB-42C2-8F5D-464CFDC1A09D.jpeg

86FB6EC5-15BC-4C68-A6A9-36EFAD2817C7.jpeg

Ketchup?!? Does she not know tomatoe paste exists?

That stew looks exactly like the Rachel Ray Nutrish doggie stew I treat my little Scooter Pie to on special occasions.  This pic is actual dog food folks.

CFD470DB-E517-4A13-8EEC-BA6C8634CCD2.jpeg

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 22
46 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

That stew looks exactly like the Rachel Ray Nutrish doggie stew I treat my little Scooter Pie to on special occasions.  This pic is actual dog food folks.

CFD470DB-E517-4A13-8EEC-BA6C8634CCD2.jpeg

The dog food looks more appetizing!

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I'm not going to fault the ketchup all that much  - sometimes a dash of that is just what you need to wake up a stew-type recipe, and since there's also a can of tomato sauce in there  she does know other tomato products exist...what I'm trying to figure out is why this concoction would need 1/4 cup of sugar! I can see possibly a teaspoon  - I sometimes put a teaspoon in a pot of spaghetti sauce if the tomatoes are particularly acidic, but 1/4 CUP??

And I was going to praise her for restraint in using only one bouillon cube - I probably would have used a couple - then I remembered the tablespoon of liquid aminos and the fact that all the vegetables are canned, so it's still a sodium bomb.

And speaking of the liquid aminos, it seems weird that Jill would default to those over soy sauce. Is that her nod to cooking healthy or something? I know they have become trendy-ish because of not having the gluten that soy sauce does, but the amount of sodium is the same if not actually a smidgen more.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm not going to fault the ketchup all that much  - sometimes a dash of that is just what you need to wake up a stew-type recipe, and since there's also a can of tomato sauce in there  she does know other tomato products exist...what I'm trying to figure out is why this concoction would need 1/4 cup of sugar! I can see possibly a teaspoon  - I sometimes put a teaspoon in a pot of spaghetti sauce if the tomatoes are particularly acidic, but 1/4 CUP??

And I was going to praise her for restraint in using only one bouillon cube - I probably would have used a couple - then I remembered the tablespoon of liquid aminos and the fact that all the vegetables are canned, so it's still a sodium bomb.

And speaking of the liquid aminos, it seems weird that Jill would default to those over soy sauce. Is that her nod to cooking healthy or something? I know they have become trendy-ish because of not having the gluten that soy sauce does, but the amount of sodium is the same if not actually a smidgen more.

My mom taught me to use ketchup to reduce the acidity. And maybe add a pinch or two of sugar if needed, but ketchup usually works like a charm.

• Love 4
On 7/28/2018 at 5:58 PM, cdp73 said:

Which is good because she wouldn't understand how to use them.

• Love 3

So, Jill uses multiple canned ingredients AND includes the liquid from the cans? The sodium level is through the roof. Sorry, but I wouldn't use ground beef when attempting this type of recipe. You use real beef chunks. I think with a family of 4, she would opt for FRESH INGREDIENTS. There is very little, if any, nutrition in this awful recipe. Michelle can't cook worth a squat AND never had any interest in learning how to do it properly. Jill needs to OBTAIN good recipes and use them herself, not put bad ones out there.

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, floridamom said:

So, Jill uses multiple canned ingredients AND includes the liquid from the cans? The sodium level is through the roof. Sorry, but I wouldn't use ground beef when attempting this type of recipe. You use real beef chunks. I think with a family of 4, she would opt for FRESH INGREDIENTS. There is very little, if any, nutrition in this awful recipe. Michelle can't cook worth a squat AND never had any interest in learning how to do it properly. Jill needs to OBTAIN good recipes and use them herself, not put bad ones out there.

So true. She could even say how she uses fresh vegetables when cooking for four, however when cooking on a budget or for a large family canned vegetables would work.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

If using real potatoes? It's a stew, how would one use imitation potatoes for a stew? Did she mean canned verses fresh?

? English is hard, y'all. Can't blame her, though. Her homeschool curriculum only included phonics and bankruptcy law.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I think with a family of 4, she would opt for FRESH INGREDIENTS. 

Frozen wouldn't be bad.  I've read that frozen veggies have much more nutrition than canned because they're frozen shortly after picking and they may have as much nutrition as fresh depending on timing (when the fresh was shipped to stores).  I'm just glad she knows what vegetables are, even though they're canned.  Baby steps. 

• Love 20

I had to use a converter to translate the cup to metric and HOLY SHIT did she just dump  more than half a deciliter of sugar into a stew?! That's not stew, that's cake!

The Duggar diet must have been depressing as hell. Nothing fresh, nothing of quality and no flavours beyond insanely salty and sickly sweet.

• Love 22
46 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Frozen wouldn't be bad.  I've read that frozen veggies have much more nutrition than canned because they're frozen shortly after picking and they may have as much nutrition as fresh depending on timing (when the fresh was shipped to stores).  I'm just glad she knows what vegetables are, even though they're canned.  Baby steps. 

Yes, they do say that now with advances in flash freezing, especially with things like peas and beans that no longer need vinegar to steep them into gray-green.  I'm guessing the Duggars don't believe in frozen because that requires freezer energy ($$); whereas cans just need a shelf.  

(edited)

This week alone, in my garden and csa box, I’ve gotten corn, green beans, tomatoes, and onions. I feed a family of 5 on fresh farm/garden ingredients, spend very little, and only occasionally use cans.  It’s very possible.

I learned nothing about cooking with actual ingredients or seasonal foods growing up or from my family. I learned it all as an adult,  I hope Jill will, too, since it seems she has the interest. I hope she is open to learning- which is questionable. 

ETA:  AND potatoes!!  How hard it is to buy a #5 bag of potatoes and dice one up?!

Edited by awaken
  • Love 3