Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

Pot roast is my absolute jam, so even that mess looks appealing to me. I won’t even front, I’d try it.  I prefer it with celery and red potatoes, though. And onions. I’ve never seen it with russet potatoes like that. 

It’s a step up from her odd chili and pretzels dish. Not that that’s saying much.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

When it’s 100+ degrees outside, I know that what I crave is a heavy meat and potatoes meal. /sarcasm

Why doesn’t Jill post some summer recipes?  Teach us how to make that big green salad, Jill!

• Love 19

That recipe is better than my grandma's recipe for Jello salad: 2 large boxes of lime Jello & a head of green cabbage. Prepare the Jello according to directions, pour into a bundt pan, chill in fridge until almost set, chop cabbage very fine, mix with Jello, chill until set, invert onto a Corelle plate (green or gold design), pour some disgusting dressing made with Miracle Whip over it, and serve.

• Love 14
16 hours ago, floridamom said:

Izzy just wants to be included, loved and accepted for the 3 year old he is.

That bible school video was telling to me. He was picking his nose and had his fingers up to his mouth/nose. It showed me he's truly insecure. Poor sweet little guy. He has dicks for parents.

I’m so sad for him- I can’t even watch the videos!  

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, Nysha said:

That recipe is better than my grandma's recipe for Jello salad: 2 large boxes of lime Jello & a head of green cabbage. Prepare the Jello according to directions, pour into a bundt pan, chill in fridge until almost set, chop cabbage very fine, mix with Jello, chill until set, invert onto a Corelle plate (green or gold design), pour some disgusting dressing made with Miracle Whip over it, and serve.

My aunt made a similar dish she called Hawaiian Jello Surprise. Green Jello, canned crushed pineapple, shredded carrots, and chow mein noodles (the crunchy kind you get in cans at the grocery store). She served hers on a Corelle plate with a brown and gold design. Sometimes she would add raisins or cottage cheese. It was possibly the most disgusting thing I’ve ever eaten. Jill would love it. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I think Jill’s blog, like her entire life, is an exercise in wish fulfillment. Everything she posts on there is idealized. That’s true of a lot of people’s blogs, of course, but Jill actually seems to believe what she posts is true even when it’s obviously not. She reminisces about her and her parents and siblings tucking into a hot meal complete with homemade bread and a huge salad when we all know the reality is that dinner was Jill sitting in the bathroom scarfing down her measly portion of whatever love offering eight-year-old Jana had heated up while Michelle was busy being joyfully available. She talks about Derick being a great dad when we all know he’s a temperamental douchebag who acts like his kids like millstones around his neck (and that’s just what we see... imagine how he acts when she’s not filming him). She wants a Norman Rockwell life SO BAD but she doesn’t even know how to make real pot roast because all she’s ever had are parents who couldn’t be bothered to act like real parents and a husband who can’t be bothered to act like a real person. It’s just sad. 

I don't actually watch the show so I don't know, but is it possible that MEchelle might have occasionally had a Suzy Homemaker moment and resolved (for all of two meals before she lost interest) to be the perfect mother who put her all into serving nutritious and delicious meals for her children? They might have been exceedingly rare occurrences, but maybe Jill's mind just glommed onto them and filled in all the months of tater tot casserole and chickenetti with memories of dinners made with care.

I kind of doubt it, given that everything she has posted from the Duggar Family culinary archives is more or less a sodium bomb held together with cheese and cream of glop. The "huge salads" of her memory were doubtless either multiple bags of salad mixes, or a few chopped heads of romaine or even iceberg lettuce drenched in dressing. Even all that homemade bread was likely Pillsbury...though of all the possibilities of things that might have been homemade, I can see someone (probably Jana) finding satisfaction in actually baking bread. There is something very therapeutic about the process.

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't actually watch the show so I don't know, but is it possible that MEchelle might have occasionally had a Suzy Homemaker moment and resolved (for all of two meals before she lost interest) to be the perfect mother who put her all into serving nutritious and delicious meals for her children? They might have been exceedingly rare occurrences, but maybe Jill's mind just glommed onto them and filled in all the months of tater tot casserole and chickenetti with memories of dinners made with care.

Or she might have occasionally cooked a big meal to show off for visitors when she wanted to impress them with her MOTY act.

• Love 8

I don't think the Duggars had much money when Michelle was actually homemaking/parenting. I think they ate a lot of pasta and canned vegetables. I actually do think Michelle made bread though. I'm guessing it was cheaper than buying Wonder bread?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Nysha said:

Someone used to make the same type of mixture for my BIL and he's clearly never gotten over it, because any time my mother makes an ambrosia-style side to relieve Thanksgiving monotony from the savories (usually canned fruit and whipped cream to save time, as she's making a lot of things from scratch including gravy), he accuses her of putting mayo in it and refuses to touch it.  (Though, in defense of your grandmother, isn't Thousand Island dressing, mayonnaise mixed with catsup?  clearly someone thinks that mayonnaise works with a sweet.) 

As for the "big green salads", I feel like Jill harps on the "big green salads" because she's internalized that "big green salads are healthy and people like hearing talk about them; thus I can save my parents from talk about how hideous and nonstop processed our childhood diet was."  I mean... at this point she at least has to have enough in-laws that she knows this isn't everyone's diet, doesn't she?  

• Love 2

Those videos of Izzy just make me so sad.  Poor kid.  He only wants what all human beings want - love and acceptance.  Too bad he seems to get neither.  

The little boy next to him in the singing video looks like one of the Waller kids.  I don't think it is one of them, but he could pass for a sibling.  I love those kids, especially Davia.  She's so awesome!!

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Nysha said:

11 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

My aunt made a similar dish she called Hawaiian Jello Surprise. Green Jello, canned crushed pineapple, shredded carrots, and chow mein noodles (the crunchy kind you get in cans at the grocery store). She served hers on a Corelle plate with a brown and gold design. Sometimes she would add raisins or cottage cheese. It was possibly the most disgusting thing I’ve ever eaten. Jill would love it. 

LOL, I had the avocado green Corelle dishes as a newlywed.  I never put vegetables in Jello though, only fruit.  Vegetables are great, I love them, but they don't belong in sweet fruit-flavored Jello.  I have a cookbook collection from the 40's through today, and it's a hoot to read some of the old ones.  A wonderful humorous book is the Gallery of Regrettable Food, about all the yucky recipes that were once popular.

• Love 2

Not to defend the kitchen capades but In re: fresh-baked bread, I do remember seeing one episode of 19 KAC where Jana was teaching one of the Lost Girls (Hannie, maybe?) how to make bread.  They had whole wheat kernels that Jana ground herself in an electric mill (there was a huge jar of wheat under the counter) and they put the wheat and other ingredients into this dough maker (I’ve seen them use it for cookies, too).  And Jana baked the loaves in small pans (almost like restaurant table bread).  

If you do it this way it IS much cheaper and soooooo much healthier than Wonder Bread.  But it takes effort, so no wonder Jana was the person teaching how to do it. 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

The pot roast looks like prison food.  She really needs to take some cooking lessons.

The whole Duggar family does not need any lessons once they see something done one time they become experts in it.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Not to defend the kitchen capades but In re: fresh-baked bread, I do remember seeing one episode of 19 KAC where Jana was teaching one of the Lost Girls (Hannie, maybe?) how to make bread.  They had whole wheat kernels that Jana ground herself in an electric mill (there was a huge jar of wheat under the counter) and they put the wheat and other ingredients into this dough maker (I’ve seen them use it for cookies, too).  And Jana baked the loaves in small pans (almost like restaurant table bread).  

If you do it this way it IS much cheaper and soooooo much healthier than Wonder Bread.  But it takes effort, so no wonder Jana was the person teaching how to do it. 

I was going to mention this same episode. There was probably occasionally fresh baked bread (possibly even when they were not filming), and there may have been an occasional green salad or cut up fruit as the girls got older and had more flexibility about the food, but there's no way that Jill's "mama" ever made any of it. If J'chelle had made even one healthy meal for the entire family it would have been filmed and spliced into every episode. J'chelle simply never cooked, and they very seldom ate together as a family.

In the early specials, there was some cooking, but I think that after they moved into the TTH that all fell apart and there was little effort (by Jana) to make family meals. We do see the occasional taco bar, but there is very little cooking footage. Regular meals require regular schedules and planning -- the Duggars just don't do those things.

I think that all of the Duggar recipes that Jill remembers with fondness involve 1. Dump x cans of cream of something soup and y cans of meat over frozen potatoes (or pasta) in an industrial sized pan 2. Cover with processed cheese 3. bake. They must all have a taste for super-high sodium levels. i can't imagine what that pot roast with FOUR bouillon cubes must taste like.

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Did they ever bake bread when it wasn't scripted and filmed and they weren't getting paid for it? 

Good question. Just like all those tutorials of how to make homemade laundry detergent, meanwhile bottles of Tide are sitting on top of the commercial washers.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't think the Duggars had much money when Michelle was actually homemaking/parenting. I think they ate a lot of pasta and canned vegetables. I actually do think Michelle made bread though. I'm guessing it was cheaper than buying Wonder bread?

1 hour ago, Lady Edith said:

I think the homemade bread recipe is a Gothard thing that many of his homeschool families used. 

• Love 2

I remember salad at least once.  While they were in Little Rock with Josie a couple of the older daughters were "dumping" bagged salad into a large bowl and chopping tomatoes to go into it.  That must have stood out to Jill.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

The pot roast looks like prison food.  She really needs to take some cooking lessons.

Someone posted a comment (on the blog) regarding the pot roast recipe and told Jill that she needed to use full-size carrots, because baby carrots aren’t healthy.  The ignorance is mind boggling. ?

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Someone posted a comment (on the blog) regarding the pot roast recipe and told Jill that she needed to use full-size carrots, because baby carrots aren’t healthy.  The ignorance is mind boggling. ?

I've eaten plenty of baby carrots in my lifetime and so have many other people. Why aren't they healthy, and if there's really a problem why are the grocery stores allowed to sell them?

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I've eaten plenty of baby carrots in my lifetime and so have many other people. Why aren't they healthy, and if there's really a problem why are the grocery stores allowed to sell them?

It's called "because Jill can't win." If she used full-sized, organic, locally grown carrots, somebody would gripe about that. Baby carrots are as healthy as any other. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Baby carrots are carrots and are just as healthy as full size carrots. As for grocery stores they sell many things that aren't healthy including soda, chips, candy, processed foods and some sell beer and wine. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Baby carrots are carrots and are just as healthy as full size carrots. As for grocery stores they sell many things that aren't healthy including soda, chips, candy, processed foods and some sell beer and wine. 

I think "baby carrots" have gotten a bad rap of late because they are not really "baby", but just shaved down to a nice uniform size, petite, for snacking, veggie trays, etc. There might have been some chemical involved in that tumbling and smoothing process as well, but I don't recall. A lot of people just like to panic over any processing that produce gets subjected to, though.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Nysha said:

This is very like my grandmother's jello, except Grandma used some dark, dark red jello, and added Bacos (fake bacon bits).  Then it was totally drowned in french dressing.   Bacos appeared in most of my grandmother's cooking, including cookies.  It was truly an adventure to eat at my grandparent's house.  My dad claims his mother could not boil water, and in fact she did destroy several crystal bowls by pouring the boiling water in to make jello.  She was the sweetest woman, but the worst cook.

• Love 4

Iz is growing up to be a fearful child who will be forever seeking validation and confirmation from his doltish parents.

When Jill was being courted by Derick there was hope he would be a good husband to a fearful wife but her self confidence has gotten worse trying to prove herself to an indifferent, self centered, weak charactered arse.

Jilly's online cooking adventures are amateurish and spotlights her inability to communicate by written word  but no one in her circle of family or friends has the heart to tell her to stop.

Compared to her sisters and sisters in law she is beginning to look like the frump and taking on the dumpy appearance of her mother....no wonder she is JimBlob's favorite.....

• Love 10
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think at the beginning, they did actually make bread. I swear I remember Joe making bread and one of the sisters saying he was quite good at it. Granted, it was more of a quick bread recipe, I don't remember him kneading or letting read rise or anything like that, but it also wasn't frozen pre-made dough either. 

On 7/20/2018 at 6:04 PM, GeeGolly said:

It's bright and sunny in the Sam and red ball video, they're all in pjs and they have guests over. Derick hard at work again.

I only watched the Sammy walking video, but in Jill's defense, it could have been 6 or 7 and the kids were just ready for bed already. Were Jill and Derick in lounge wear too? 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Fostersmom said:

I think at the beginning, they did actually make bread. I swear I remember Joe making bread and one of the sisters saying he was quite good at it. Granted, it was more of a quick bread recipe, I don't remember him kneading or letting read rise or anything like that, but it also wasn't frozen pre-made dough either. 

I only watched the Sammy walking video, but in Jill's defense, it could have been 6 or 7 and the kids were just ready for bed already. Were Jill and Derick in lounge wear too? 

Jill was in pajamas. It could have been later in the evening, but if Jill is still on Duggar time 7 is a bit early to be getting ready for bed. 

I wouldn't normally post a link from Fox, but this article does a good job at explaining the whole baby carrot thing.  I'm guessing the commenter is talking about the chlorine.  The largest carrot grower explains that all of their carrots---regular, baby, organic, non-organic---get briefly washed in chlorine to prevent food poisoning.  

All of the jello salad comments reminded me that my grandma made one, but I thankfully can't remember what all it involved.  I'm good with some fruit in jello but not mayo, lettuce, or Bacos (that's a new one Calico!).

• Love 4

The Jello talk is giving me flashbacks of Jello with fruit made in a bunt pan and when flipped onto a serving dish it swayed and ba-lumped back and forth every time the table moved.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

This is very like my grandmother's jello, except Grandma used some dark, dark red jello, and added Bacos (fake bacon bits).  Then it was totally drowned in french dressing.   Bacos appeared in most of my grandmother's cooking, including cookies.  It was truly an adventure to eat at my grandparent's house.  My dad claims his mother could not boil water, and in fact she did destroy several crystal bowls by pouring the boiling water in to make jello.  She was the sweetest woman, but the worst cook.

When you said Bacos, I was immediately reminded of Wheat Nuts.  Does anyone else remember those?

The dark red Jello may have been black cherry?  I don't even know if that's still available.

Jill's an unfortunate cook, but she had a poor role model.  For the record, I've eaten baby carrots and also whole carrots.  I like them either way.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The Jello talk is giving me flashbacks of Jello with fruit made in a bunt pan and when flipped onto a serving dish it swayed and ba-lumped back and forth every time the table moved.

I still have Jello molds that I haven't used in at least 5 years.  It's sugar free Jello for us on the rare occasion we have it, since Mr. Xword is diabetic.  

I still have a bundt pan too!  I really need to purge my kitchen stuff now that we're remodeling.  Those bundt cakes were quite the thing in the 70's, complete with non-stick Teflon coating.

Jill, give up trying to be a food blogger, it's not working for you.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill was in pajamas. It could have been later in the evening, but if Jill is still on Duggar time 7 is a bit early to be getting ready for bed. 

It's 5:30 and I've been in my pj's since I got home at 3:30 today. I had to run to work for a few hours  earlier and then to Walmart to get supplies for work, and then I came home. I'm not going back out, so I put on the ancient shorts and shirt I'll be sleeping in tonight.  I wouldn't be inviting people over and not get dresses, but if someone surprised me by stopping by, I also wouldn't be changing. 

My grandma used to make some sort of Jello concoctions for holidays, red stuff and green stuff. I seem to remember the red stuff being a can of fruit cocktail, a tub of Cool Whip, and a package of cherry Jello mixed together. I think the green stuff was a box of pistachio pudding, a can of fruit cocktail, and butter pecan ice cream? mixed together. She would make both every year, and the question was always do you want red or green. Both the Jello and pudding were just mixed in, not actually made. They were both pretty good, whatever they were. 

Jill's pot roast is a crime against nature. Hell, my mom would salt and pepper each side off the roast, toss it in the bottom of a roaster pan, and then put quartered peeled potatoes, a couple of quartered onions, and a bag of baby carrots around the roast, added a bit of water to the bottom of the pan, and toss it in the oven for a hours and call it dinner. She'd make either a quick pan gravy or a gravy packet when it was done. Nothing fancy by any means, but it looked like real food. Jill's does not. I can only imagine the 4 bouillon cubes just tossed in are to blame for making everything look so brown.

As bad and sad as Jill's recipes are, I really think she's trying to the best of her very limited ability. She needs to get herself a couple of very basic cook books and try making a few things, following a real recipe. And then move on to creating her own. I do think Michelle, Grandma Mary, and later Jana, did cook at one time before TLC arrived on the scene, but Jill's memories are being remembered thru the hazy mind of her childhood. Let's be honest, I think Jill's adult life is sucking and not living up to her expectations, so her childhood is being seen as the good old days. 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 20
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Let's be honest, I think Jill's adult life is sucking and not loving up to her expectations, so her childhood is being seen as the good old days. 

Not only that. Gothardism, and fundamentalism in general, centers around their misconception of the good old days, when men were men and women wore skirts, raised the kids, and never talked back. Before those troublemakers came along and suddenly women wanted to vote and not be property, blacks wanted equal rights, and (whispers) the gays were out in public! 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 23
(edited)
6 hours ago, Heathen said:

Did they ever bake bread when it wasn't scripted and filmed and they weren't getting paid for it? 

There was also that fakey, fake, fake Duggar "Breakfast" for the Today show:  https://www.today.com/video/making-a-duggar-sized-breakfast-44510787657

Michelle did at least admit they fussed a bit more than usual but they tried to make it look like the "example" was pretty much their everyday routine.  Skip to about the 3:30 mark for the cooking/serving portion (before that is intro and a tour of the pantry).  Some of the funniest bits - Jim Bob is in the kitchen helping Jill making a breakfast casserole (of course we don't see Jill making the casserole, it's done by the time they get in there and JB's help consists of sprinkling the top with a handful of pre-shredded cheese from a bag) - This is where she learned her cooking skills people, pre-cut, pre-shredded, pre-made, throw it all in a dish and hope it's good skills.  A few minutes later when they line up to eat buffet style there is fresh fruit on a plate with a WHOLE pineapple decoratively placed in the center, further down the counter there's just the pineapple top.  Also for some reason what looks like random kale leaves spread directly on the counter - I'm sure that's a daily decorative touch they used <eyeroll>.  I could hope the TV crew came up with some of the decor but it looks like typical slap it together pintrest induced Duggar decorating ideas.  Michelle also claims the boys help in the kitchen, cook (mostly bacon) and do the dishes - I seriously have my doubts about any of those buddies doing wimmens work beyond drying a plate or two under threat from Jessa or Jana.

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, irisheyes said:

When it’s 100+ degrees outside, I know that what I crave is a heavy meat and potatoes meal. /sarcasm

Why doesn’t Jill post some summer recipes?  Teach us how to make that big green salad, Jill!

I admit I would love to cook a roast when it is cool enough in my house, and make some mashed potatoes and gravy. I would cut up the meat after the roast is done and put it in the fridge along with the mashed potatoes and gravy. Heat everything up the next day in the microwave and make roast beef sandwiches. Yum Yum!!! Sometimes the leftovers are better than the actual meal itself.

41 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

It's 5:30 and I've been in my pj's since I got home at 3:30 today. I had to run to work for a few hours  earlier and then to Walmart to get supplies for work, and then I came home. I'm not going back out, so I put on the ancient shorts and shirt I'll be sleeping in tonight.  I wouldn't be inviting people over and not get dresses, but if someone surprised me by stopping by, I also wouldn't be changing. 

So the only thing you and Jill have in common is you both wear PJs. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And the Dullards had guests. Yes, Jill showed them. So, she entertains in her jammies. 

I have to admit that I was surprised that their guests were a biracial couple.  Don’t they think that’s sinful too?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Nysha said:

If y'all would like to recall those wonderful years. . . or, maybe I should send a copy to Jill?

And a fun vid showing the perils of Jell-o

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I think her idealization of the past is a defense mechanism against the shit life that is her present. I sort of do the same thing; my mom wasn’t a great mom (although she was miles better than Michelle was) but when i’m having a really bad day my first instinct is to call her for comfort. In those moments I remember the few times in my childhood when she was there and did take care of me the way a mother should. The difference is that most of my days aren’t bad days, and I think most of Jill’s are, even if she only recognizes that on some kind of subconscious level. So I think she focuses on the positives of her past, even if she has to basically make them up, because they give her a safe place to go. After all, if she were to admit that the past is shit and the present is shit, how could she have any hope for the future? 

I kinda feel sorry for Jill, because from the looks of it, her future is going to suck big time; however, I’m straight up heartbroken for those boys.  They’ve been screwed royally by having those two idiots for parents.

• Love 12

Today, I've been wondering if an additional source of stress for Jill is realizing the exact nature of her family's fame, if that makes any sense. Reality TV tends to focus on people who are either supposed to be somehow interesting (they teach you how to do things or go places you've never been) or ones that appeal to a much baser morbid curiosity (the equivalent of a modern-day freak show.)

I'm sure Jill has always thought her family was featured on TV and famous because they had something to legitimately teach the world about their way of life. Her blog seems like a very misguided continuation of that belief. However, as she continues to get piled on for her terrible recipes and inept domestic advice, I'm wondering if she is starting to realize that her family was famous, not because most people think they have anything worthwhile to teach the rest of us but instead out of morbid curiosity about them. I could see her doubling-down even harder on her nostalgia for her childhood as an act of denial. 

• Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

It’s 1:35 pm ..I’m in my jammies ... I’m not going anywhere nor am I expecting anyone, but if they did turn up .. it’s take me as I am

Edited by Totally
  • Love 12