Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

39 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

EB5384AE-31C8-4AE7-9983-3C8A26FD7A00.jpeg

As if looking at her chipped fingernail polish wasn't bad enough, we now are forced to view her chipped toenail polish.  

Counting On.jpg

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Too many pics and videos, so just a few:

So…this year we decided to plant a garden since our place has a little raised bed. We got some tips from my expert gardener sister (Jana) and got to work. Our little family has never done this before, so we certainly aren’t experts! We just thought we’d share some fun pictures and videos of our little project and hopefully we’ll actually get a little produce this year! 

Video :

Video:

Video:

Video:

17D06981-D820-4EC1-B4A7-69EEBD09B503.jpeg

EB5384AE-31C8-4AE7-9983-3C8A26FD7A00.jpeg

First, the positives: Izzy and Sam are absolutely adorable. And Izzy actually has pretty good one-to-one correspondence while counting! Nice counting up to 5, Izzy!

Now, the eye-rolling moments: Mostly just Jill's voice, especially when she is addressing Izzy. Aside from Michelle not using "yay," Jill talks to Izzy much like Michelle talks to her kids. It's not as annoying with Sam because he's a baby. 

Also - that third video - Jill just barely showed the top, but that was a full-blown tank top. I think she showed more than Jinger has ever done even when she wore sleeveless tops.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

What came first, the need to have your own Headship, or the need to eat disgusting gloppy cream soup casseroles from 1965?  Don't these folks know nutrition has been updated since the Protestant Reformation?? 

Nah, they don't get it!  If I was a fawning fan, I'd send them The Gallery of Regrettable Food by James Lileks.  Chock full of 1950's era gloppy casseroles and the like.

Seriously, if you grew up in the 50's or 60's like me, or if you just like nostalgic and funny reading of weird recipes, it's a hoot.

I don't think there's a recent picture of Dillweed that didn't make me cringe.  Not just his off-center teeth, but his expressions are creepy!

• Love 9

When Jill went inside to get Sammy, did any one notice that toxic waste dump of a carpet? I have NEVER seen a carpet more filthy with people actually living in the home at the time. Doesn't Jill know that they make carpet cleaners?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I was one of those weird kids who loved the taste of Communion wafers. 

Now you've got to say what they taste like!  I never had the nerve to ask my Catholic friends.   

I just remember the guy who got his GF pregnant in Saturday Night Fever telling the ex-priest that his GF loved the taste of Communion wafers.

I was a rebel kind of kid and refused to go to Sunday School or church when I became a difficult teenager.   

2 hours ago, Normades said:

You just made me flash back to Saturday Night Fever where Travolta's friend tells his brother/priest that his girlfriend is so religious that she loves the taste of communion wafers.  I always found that so weird. Didn't end well for him either.  

LOL, you can tell I don't always read all the posts before I reply!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Normades said:

You just made me flash back to Saturday Night Fever where Travolta's friend tells his brother/priest that his girlfriend is so religious that she loves the taste of communion wafers.  I always found that so weird. Didn't end well for him either.  

I love that you referenced Saturday Night Fever!  That is another movie that gets quoted a lot in my household.  Watch tha hair!

• Love 2

Ok, so with all this talk of communion wafers I got to ask. Do fundies take communion? As in the whole dispensing of bread and wine grape juice ceremony? If so, who does the dispensing and where do they get the wafers? I always figured communion was a pretty universal Christian thing to do, but I have a really hard time imagining JB doing this in his home/warehouse church. Possibly because I just find the idea of him having any kind of authority, religious or not, to be ridiculous and I guess I connect communion with church authority and these fundie churches all seem so... I don't know... random? Who decides who is in charge and who can hand out communion? Can anyone do it? Like, "I'm the boss man now, here have a wafer." Or do they just not do it at all?

And, as others have asked, what do communion wafers taste like? I spent quite a bit of time in various churches as a child but it didn't take, so as an unbaptised and unconfirmed heathen I'm technically not allowed to have one even if I wanted to.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Haven't watched the videos yet - will need beer first, but isn't Derilick out of "school"' in June?  And the house is with the school, soooooo, they are putting in a garden for the next folks to use????

Forget the beer!  It would take a bottle of Bacardi 151 to make me sit through those crappy videos.  Israel and the Bible verses did me in.

Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Ok, so with all this talk of communion wafers I got to ask. Do fundies take communion? As in the whole dispensing of bread and wine grape juice ceremony? If so, who does the dispensing and where do they get the wafers? I always figured communion was a pretty universal Christian thing to do, but I have a really hard time imagining JB doing this in his home/warehouse church. Possibly because I just find the idea of him having any kind of authority, religious or not, to be ridiculous and I guess I connect communion with church authority and these fundie churches all seem so... I don't know... random? Who decides who is in charge and who can hand out communion? Can anyone do it? Like, "I'm the boss man now, here have a wafer." Or do they just not do it at all?

And, as others have asked, what do communion wafers taste like? I spent quite a bit of time in various churches as a child but it didn't take, so as an unbaptised and unconfirmed heathen I'm technically not allowed to have one even if I wanted to.

Huh. I don't know. Catholics definitely do, and I am Presbyterian and we take communion once a month (with bread, not wafers). Anna's father did reference grape juice, but otherwise we've never seen any communion being had among fundies, even at a wedding. Friends of my husband (who were Evangelical Covenant) did include communion as part of their wedding ceremony. I guess let's start by asking whether Baptists take communion and go from there.

Little side story about Catholic vs. Protestant communions: When my father-in-law passed away last year, he had a Catholic memorial service that included Mass, which included communion. I couldn't partake in communion since I was not Catholic, but I noticed that the priest would take communion first and then extended it to the attendees. In contrast, at my Presbyterian church (but also United Church of Christ, which was my childhood denomination), ministers take communion LAST. Also, in Protestant churches, anyone can take communion if they want. 

• Love 3

I can totally see Derick being a lawyer (or trying to).

He would be a champion for all those people and causes that he feels are "victims".  He likes to rant about his opinions.  Can't you just see that in a courtroom, speaking to the press or releasing statements?  He enjoys politics and feels that he can force his beliefs on others through legislation. 

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

I am ex IFB.

Yes, they take communion.  It is usually matzoh bread and grade juice.  Some churches do it on a Sunday but most practice closed communion.  It is given maybe once a month on an odd day where the congregation meets to just take communion.  It takes maybe an hour or so.  A lot of praying and Bible reading.  The minister prays over the matzoh and that is passed through the aisles.  Then the pastor prays over the grape juice and that is passed through the aisles in the little cups.  The traditional Bible passage is read where Jesus breaks the bread...my body given for thee, my blood shed for thee. etc.

I don't have first hand knowledge of home churches but I'm going to guess that the men in charge will do what I described above. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Huh. I don't know. Catholics definitely do, and I am Presbyterian and we take communion once a month (with bread, not wafers). Anna's father did reference grape juice, but otherwise we've never seen any communion being had among fundies, even at a wedding. Friends of my husband (who were Evangelical Covenant) did include communion as part of their wedding ceremony. I guess let's start by asking whether Baptists take communion and go from there.

Little side story about Catholic vs. Protestant communions: When my father-in-law passed away last year, he had a Catholic memorial service that included Mass, which included communion. I couldn't partake in communion since I was not Catholic, but I noticed that the priest would take communion first and then extended it to the attendees. In contrast, at my Presbyterian church (but also United Church of Christ, which was my childhood denomination), ministers take communion LAST. Also, in Protestant churches, anyone can take communion if they want. 

I grew up SBC and we did communion maybe... once every few months? Special occasions? Rarely, anyway. We used tiny square crackers that tasted like literally nothing and tiny individual cups of grape juice. They came in round trays circulated down the pew aisles by the deacons.

• Love 3
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

In most cases communion is small pieces of bread or some oyster crackers in a fancy plate that is passed around by various members of the church (usually men) with tiny shot like glasses of grape juice. The pastor either blessed the elements before they are passed around or after. Or I have seen where the bread is passed and blessed, then repeat for the juice.  Everyone partakes of the elements simultaneously.  They don’t tend to do them at weddings, and from my experience communion was only once a month. There was no formal “first communion” or anything. Kids did it because try telling a 3 year old everyone else gets juice and crackers, but not him. 

Once I was at a large church and this is what they gave everyone when they walked in. I was not a fan of that method, but I could see something like this being used at Cross Church where the Duggar offspring go. It’s efficient but seemed like they were just checking it of their list of things to make Jesus happy. Maybe Derick will bless us with a pictures of him with his Air Pods in getting the sacrement ready. 

74B62673-A91A-4E49-A773-C729DE1E8027.jpeg

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I can totally see Derick being a lawyer (or trying to).

He would be a champion for all those people and causes that he feels are "victims".  He likes to rant about his opinions.  Can't you just see that in a courtroom, speaking to the press or releasing statements?  He enjoys politics and feels that he can force his beliefs on others through legislation. 

Deredick and Smuggs can become lawyers and sue heathens who done them wrong because we all know they are the true "victims" of their bad behavior. *rolling eyes*

Edited by bigskygirl

I grew up Catholic and our communion wafers were round, thin discs with a cross imprinted on them. The texture was like Styrofoam and they tasted like a plain rice cake. I don't know why I liked them so much, but I did, lol.

• Love 8

I don't see Derick making it through law school because they have to review all kinds of cases, including those where the "ebil libtards" won and the conservative Christians lost. OK, I don't know of any specific case law in particular, but that's what he would think if "his kind" lost. As far as his past, I had a friend who did go to law school later in life (older than Derick) and when she was getting ready to sit for the bar, the State was asking about a false police report she had filed.  It was true she had filed a report because her husband had abused her, but then he said "I'm sorry" and she withdrew her complaint.  The State said she had filed a false report. She was able to get it cleared up and sit for the bar. 

8 hours ago, Temperance said:

I also remember now in college he dreamed of joining the FBI.

I hope all the law school info following is from those days and nothing recent.

9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

First he was a missionary, then an accountant, then a missionary again, then he went back to school for a ministry degree, and then law school. 

The ministry degree where he did a semester or so online or his current "ministry school" where he is really paying Cross Church for him to be an intern?

• Love 3

Okay, two comments:

There are unaccredited law schools- usually night classes, which take four years instead of the usual three.  After the first year ( at least in California) students wishing to continue on need to pass the “baby bar” which is an exam covering first year subjects - usually Torts, Criminal Law and Contracts. (I’m very thankful I didn't have to do that, although it may have been good practice for the “real” bar exam. 

And... communion wafers always tasted like paper to me. 

• Love 2

Old Catholic joke:  The miracle isn't believing the wafer is the body of Christ, the miracle is believing that the wafer has anything to do with bread.

Why start a garden in May when you have to move in July? 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

In most cases communion is small pieces of bread or some oyster crackers in a fancy plate that is passed around by various members of the church (usually men) with tiny shot like glasses of grape juice. The pastor either blessed the elements before they are passed around or after. Or I have seen where the bread is passed and blessed, then repeat for the juice.  Everyone partakes of the elements simultaneously.  They don’t tend to do them at weddings, and from my experience communion was only once a month. There was no formal “first communion” or anything. Kids did it because try telling a 3 year old everyone else gets juice and crackers, but not him. 

Once I was at a large church and this is what they gave everyone when they walked in. I was not a fan of that method, but I could see something like this being used at Cross Church where the Duggar offspring go. It’s efficient but seemed like they were just checking it of their list of things to make Jesus happy. Maybe Derick will bless us with a pictures of him with his Air Pods in getting the sacrement ready. 

74B62673-A91A-4E49-A773-C729DE1E8027.jpeg

I hate seeing so much plastic waste!!! Just for convenience

• Love 13
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Nah, they don't get it!  If I was a fawning fan, I'd send them The Gallery of Regrettable Food by James Lileks.  Chock full of 1950's era gloppy casseroles and the like.

Seriously, if you grew up in the 50's or 60's like me, or if you just like nostalgic and funny reading of weird recipes, it's a hoot.

I don't think there's a recent picture of Dillweed that didn't make me cringe.  Not just his off-center teeth, but his expressions are creepy!

I'd love to see Jill make one of those frightening molds with meat and vegetables suspended in Jello. My mother was born in 1946 and told me how growing up my Grandmother was all about her pressure cooker and Jello molds. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'd love to see Jill make one of those frightening molds with meat and vegetables suspended in Jello. My mother was born in 1946 and told me how growing up my Grandmother was all about her pressure cooker and Jello molds. 

Jill does not have the culinary skills nor intelligence for aspics.  She probably doesn't even know that something the consistency of jello can be savory.

Personally I wouldn' t even eat Julia Child's aspics let alone anything out of a Duggar household.  I have some bad memories of the Eastern European delicacy studzienina (jellies pigs feet).

• Love 4
(edited)
46 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Visual aids galore:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=953&bih=468&ei=0HIHW4HhMM_J5gLyypfADQ&q=aspic&oq=aspic&gs_l=img.3..0l10.579.1009.0.1259.6.5.0.0.0.0.144.358.1j2.3.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..3.3.358.0...0.ypxYt-1N1VI

As for communion, in my experience as "independent bible-believing" churches (affiliate with no particular Protestant denomination apart from being "Born Agains", but held in real church buildings with M. Div holders of a fundie stripe presiding); it's done every other week, via ushers passing trays back and forth to seated congregation members.  IIRC they just mash up some matzoh type cracker into a tray, and do individual glasses of grape juice. I've visited several different-but-similarly-classed churches as a guest; it was always grape juice, as late as the 90's often with the lecture-fib about "Jesus drank only unfermented grape juice!"  (Yeah, I'm sure God magicked up some Aramaic grapes that behaved differently than Roman grapes do when you keep them sitting around for long periods of time in piles of wineskins; which is clearly how ancient civilizations made any like item; in big batches for efficiency's sake.) 

As for the likes of JimBlob pulling out trays of little grape juice glasses and matzoh for their home churches; I feel like it's probably a draw amongst those who think it's A-OK because they are just following the example of an un-ordained flesh and blood Christ; and those lay preachers who get uncomfortable with the prospect because passing around food and drink to the congregation without an unordained status, makes them feel uneasily like Jim Jones.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I  have some bad memories of the Eastern European delicacy studzienina (jellies pigs feet).

Omg 

My Baba and Gigi made and ate this weekly. Ugh the smell when it was cooking. Let alone the SOUND of it when a whole table of people ate. It was like a herd of wet-tentacled octopi eating jello with straws.

I tried it once. Never again. Ever. 

I will stick with Vareneky and borscht and Holubtsi.  She much safer. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

We certainly aren't experts. Talk about butchering the English language. I know I am not the best poster or writer in the universe, but seriously...

I'm not sure I understand. How is that first sentence an example of buchering the language? 

• Love 8

Catholic communion wafers are similar to those thin round rice crackers from Whole Foods.  They stick to the roof of your mouth but taste good (starchoholic here).  The wine is just red table wine, not bad and not the best.  Our priests take communion first and last.  All the leftover wine!

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Given my Polish heritage, the first part of our Christmas Eve dinner is always the "oplatek", which is a wafer made the same way as the standard Catholic communion wafer, but a rectangle of about postcard size embossed with Nativity images and such. Each person breaks off a piece, then everyone goes to everyone else in turn to wish them a Merry Christmas (and, in some traditions, to apologize for and/or forgive each other of any transgressions). Each person breaks off a piece of the others' wafer and eats it, along with a hug and a kiss. We never really got all that formal about the whole forgiveness thing, but kept to the rest of the tradition. I always loved those wafers, and my kids did as well. So even though the family as a whole (aside from my parents) ended up skewing way secular overall, we will probably always keep that as part of our Christmas tradition - and try to finagle as big a piece of the wafer as we can!

As to the taste of it, as someone else said, they sort of taste like literally nothing, but can still, somehow, be really addictive. It's just a very thin wafer...think of the wafer in a standard ice-cream cone, but unsweetened and much thinner/more delicate. They do stick to the roof of your mouth, mostly because we were always taught that letting  the sanctified wafer touch your teeth was akin to biting Jesus. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, awaken said:

My mind is blown by those combo snack packs of communion juice and crackers!  Wow. 40 years as a communion-taking Christian of many stripes (before I gave it up) and I never encountered those!  It’s like lunchables!

I went with my dad this year to Good Friday (non-denominational Calvary Church) and they had those combo packs. When my dad handed me one I was like “what the what?”  I did not partake so I can’t comment on the taste. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Now you've got to say what they taste like!  I never had the nerve to ask my Catholic friends.   

I just remember the guy who got his GF pregnant in Saturday Night Fever telling the ex-priest that his GF loved the taste of Communion wafers.

I was a rebel kind of kid and refused to go to Sunday School or church when I became a difficult teenager.   

LOL, you can tell I don't always read all the posts before I reply!

When my older sister made her First Communion more than 50 years ago, she told me ‘it tastes like licking postage stamps’.  And it kinda does, sort of gluey. Of course nobody licks postage stamps anymore, so that description may not help.  I am referring to the  traditional white unleavened hosts, not the whole wheat or gluten free or other variations.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I’m Polish and for New Year’s, my grandmother and aunt used to make zoltz (?sp), more commonly known as head cheese.  It’s all the worst parts of a pig cooked into a gelatinous mess.  It looks like someone vomited into gray jello and kinda smells like it, too.  It was part of the New Year’s tradition of eating pork.  My grandfather used to eat it with loads of ground pepper on it and wash it down with the big can of Colt 45.  Yikes!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

He's probably delusional enough to think he could overturn Roe v. Wade all by himself.

And Obergefell v. Hodges, all in his first week. 

Liberty University has a law school, but that would 1. Require Derelict getting in, and 2. The Dullards moving to Virginia. 

5 hours ago, Portia said:

I'm not sure I understand. How is that first sentence an example of buchering the language? 

I was about to post the same thing. Granted, Jill is generally a terrible writer, but there is nothing wrong with that particular sentence.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, floridamom said:

When Jill went inside to get Sammy, did any one notice that toxic waste dump of a carpet? I have NEVER seen a carpet more filthy with people actually living in the home at the time. Doesn't Jill know that they make carpet cleaners?

I lived in a rental before I bought my home. No amount of cleaning by professional carpet cleabpners made any difference, they always looked skanky ?

Edited by Totally
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Also, in Protestant churches, anyone can take communion if they want. 

In our former state church, which is Lutheran, you have to be confirmed in order to take the bread and wine, they explicitly say so; you can go up to the altar and get a blessing from the minister if you're not confirmed but you're not eligible for the actual communion. I don't know if this is a universal Lutheran thing or if it's somehow connected to the lack of separation of church and state in the past. The church was essentially a branch of government, and confirmation and communion were tools for social control. I can imagine it being quite different in the US!

• Love 3

I had no clue how to spell it, (it’s Zimne Nogi) I had to wing it, but this was part of my childhood. I can picture the pan my great grandmother used as if I saw it yesterday! 

2E1FB7C0-C735-4284-9BC5-8E5019CCB896.jpeg

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Excellent point. My only point of reference is my best friend’s husband. He had perfect SAT scores, got a full ride to a top tier university. He had a double major and then graduated with a dual degree of JD and a Master’s in a different field.  .......and after all of that, his law career has been difficult. He is on his fourth firm in 10 years. He keeps getting in trouble for not working enough billable hours and expecting to work 8-5. There also seems to be an issue that he needs more mentoring than the lawyers at these various firms have been able to provide. So here is a guy who is smart, knew how to work hard with academics at least, and is absolutely struggling with the work load of an attorney. 

I graduated in 2010- one of the WORST years to graduate for attorneys. Things are slightly better now but the debt is real and the market is over saturated. A lot of first year associate work has been given to paralegals to cut down costs etc. I don’t think Derrick is bright enough to succeed OR ambitious enough to be a solo practioner. 

• Love 15
15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Same. I got this weird satisfaction with how it stuck to my palate.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I graduated in 2010- one of the WORST years to graduate for attorneys. Things are slightly better now but the debt is real and the market is over saturated. A lot of first year associate work has been given to paralegals to cut down costs etc. I don’t think Derrick is bright enough to succeed OR ambitious enough to be a solo practioner. 

^^^Preach. I'm angered by the law school racket* here in the US these days. They sign up students who take out massive student loans only to graduate and find out that unless you were a star, preferably at a top tier law school, you will not smoothly step into a lucrative career path. To say the least. Meanwhile, the schools rake in uncounted millions of un-refundable dollars, the students and JDs they churn out carry those millions of bucks of lifetime non-dischargeable** debt, and the cycle never stops. I highly recommend a book - Don't Go To Law School Unless - to anyone interested in the subject. It should be mandatory reading for anyone even thinking of entering law school. 

If Derick's following some law stuff on Twitter means he's thinking of law school, I'm just SMH. 

------------

*Even the ABA had to notice the thousands of ripped-off, debt-laden unemployable JDs being churned out by the nation's law school industry, and grudgingly required law schools to start publishing employment statistics for their past graduating classes. But that transparency has taken a step backwards

**Student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Yes, there's an exception which could allow you to discharge them, but it's so hard to get that for all practical purposes nobody should expect to get it. And honestly if you could qualify for it, IMO your life would be really in the sh*tter anyway. (Edited to add:  I did read that it may be possible to have the debt forgiven after 20 years but the IRS would treat the forgiven balance as income so you'd be paying income tax on that amount.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 19

I was a Tupperware dealer in the late 80s so I could stay home with my daughter.  We would have these monthly dealer potlucks and the woman in charge of them was older.  She had categories you would sign up for: dessert, entree, side dish, etc. and one entire category was JELLO SALADS!  So we would see all these horrible wiggly flourescent gel-like things with all kinds of miscellaneous items molded in them.  Yuck...

• Love 13
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Before we had our First Communion at Our Lady of Lourdes the Priest brought in some unconsecrated hosts so we could know what the wafer tasted like before the actual event but he brought them in an empty Bunny Bread bag and I remember my dad getting quite irritated after I came home and insisted that our wafers had been baked by Bunny Bread. He thought it was terribly disrespectful to put communion wafers in a Bunny Bread bag even if they were unconsecrated. (For the record Monks at a nearby Monastery baked the wafers).

Now you've got to say what they taste like!  

Like the ecstasy of Jesus melting in your mouth!

I can see Derick imagining himself as a lawyer so he could further harass trans kids by trying to keep them from using public restrooms.

• Love 11

At the Conservative and Reform synagogues I've been to, the congregation gets teeny tiny little cups of either kosher wine or grape juice for Kiddush [blessing over wine] and chunks of challah for Motzi.  [blessing over bread]    Each person got to pick what they wanted, and of course the kids tried to get wine before their parents stopped them.   Not like an ounce of Manischewitz would do anything...Anyhow:  Lawyers need to be able to study a lot of information and accept differing points of view.  No way Derick Dillweed can do that.

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Portia said:

Maybe I missed read it, but we can admit Jill can butcher the English language.