Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Quincy has been around since the John Adams family so I don't see it as a bad choice... for Duggar(s).

I mean, I guess we could apply the same theory to "Spurgeon" but that's taken longer to catch on... and probably for good reason.

• Love 5

I sometimes think the stupidity, ignorance, and gullibility of the general public is infinite. And that they will keep uncritically lapping up all the Duggar stories that are served up to them, unto the end of time.

But, I hope you're right, and the grifters' gig won't go on forever. Thanks for adding some optimism to the discussion!

I agree that the public's stupidity, etc. are infinite. But do you know what is NOT infinite? Their attention span, and the Duggars are getting boring.

• Love 6

I wonder if Ben decided on the Spurgeon name during Pope Francis's visit to the US in September? I can imagine the anti-Catholics desperately hating the extensive tv coverage and praise of the pope. Probably caused lots of apoplectic sputtering and burping, "I'm glad the Rev Spurgeon aint here to see this horror show, dammit!"

(I always thought all Christians were part of the Body of Christ. This anti-Catholic assault is a shocker to me.)

Anybody know where the nickname Quincy comes from?

I tried to do a version of the Name Game with Baby Seewald, and I cracked myself up. It's impossible!

Spurgeon Burgeon Bo Burgeon

Banana Banna Bo Burgeon

Fee Fi Fo Furgeon......

Spurgeon!

• Love 5

Regarding changing the name of the thread:

We're still recovering from the actual name. Maybe we can make a poll. Let us all have a coffee or three first and we'll see what we can do. 

Good idea.  Show more careful consideration of the thread title than Jessa and Bin did when naming their son.

• Love 7

You may not like the name Quincy but you can't tell me it's a couple hundred times better than Spurgeon.  I can see that this is a kid who's probably going to go by S. Eliot Seewald when he becomes an adult, and people who don't know him are going to go "What's the S stand for? Is his first name really that bad?" In this case, yes. Yes, it is.

• Love 4

Spurgeon v. Sturgeon -- I'm starting to get mixed up about which one is the fish and which one is the unfortunate child. (DH suggests that "Sturgeon Seaworld" could make an adorable cartoon.)

I vote we call the thread "Seewalds and Spawn."

Edited because punctuation? Is a thing.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 8

Spurgeon v. Sturgeon -- I'm starting to get mixed up about which one is the fish and which one is the unfortunate child. (DH suggests that "Sturgeon Seaworld" could make an adorable cartoon.)

The surgeon will operate on Spurgeon to remove the sturgeon.

• Love 5

I think Quincy is definitely the lesser of two evils here. My understanding is neither family is calling the kid Spurgeon. That must be a bruise to ole Binny Boy's ego. Isn't he supposed to be the Master of his domain?

Btw, when do you guys think Bin will be returning to work? Just joking, I wanted to make sure everyone was awake this morning...

• Love 14

So, it's not a secret, I watch a lot of reality shows... And there has been a lot of drama, Brooks may or may not have had cancer, Vicki just wants her some cassarole, Leah lost her kids, Rocky jumped off the boat, sisterwives have divorced adopted and catfished, then in real life I graduated from nursing school and study for my boards like its my religion...So I kinda lost track of this thread, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the story behind Quincy? I went back quite a bit but I must have missed it. I'm sorry and I promise to stay up to date forever more.

• Love 3

So, it's not a secret, I watch a lot of reality shows... And there has been a lot of drama, Brooks may or may not have had cancer, Vicki just wants her some cassarole, Leah lost her kids, Rocky jumped off the boat, sisterwives have divorced adopted and catfished, then in real life I graduated from nursing school and study for my boards like its my religion...So I kinda lost track of this thread, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the story behind Quincy? I went back quite a bit but I must have missed it. I'm sorry and I promise to stay up to date forever more.

From People

"When we first found out that we were expecting a baby, Ben and I were talking about a letter theme for our kids and Ben suggested, 'Why don't we go with the letter Q'?' lol!" she wrote. "Of course that was a joke, but from that point, Ben started calling our little one 'Quincy,' and the nickname just sorta stuck."

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2
The Seewalds: Benessa and The Baby Formerly Known As "Quincy"

Someone suggested the above.  I like it.  It's got my vote.

Years ago there was a guy at my company whose nickname was Sturgeon.  He had been there for years and no one ever compared him to a fish I guess because he had been there so long and everyone was used to the name.   I forget his real name but it was a regular normal name.  I never asked him where he got the nickname.

Edited by Gemma Violet

IKR.  Not only is he stuck with Spurgeon but it's paired with Seewald.  This kid can't win.  Name please? Spurgeon Seewald.  What, Sturgeon Seaworld? No Spurgeon Seewald.  Can you spell that please.

Edited by Defrauder
  • Love 9

The shining a flashlight in the baby's face in the middle of the night, it's crazy in an I Love Lucy kind of way.  That's the first endearing thing I've heard about her.  It's hilarious and if she keeps doing stuff like that I may begin to almost like her.  

Awww, did mommy wake you up? Let me get Jana, awww.

• Love 18

Good luck! Boards aren't half as hard as people made them out to be.

IKR. Not only is he stuck with Spurgeon but it's paired with Seewald. This kid can't win. Name please? Spurgeon Seewald. What, Sturgeon Seaworld? No Spurgeon Seewald. Can you spell that please.

Seaworld will no longer breed Spurgeons in captivity.

• Love 8

I hate to admit it, but I knew that Charles Spurgeon was an old timey preacher.  Ugh, I definitely should have led a more interesting life along the way!  I do wish they would have just used Charles and let the poor kid have a normal legal name.  I do like Quincy - sure beats Spurgeon.  

• Love 1

Awww, did mommy wake you up? Let me get Jana, awww.

You've got a point there.  Just when I think I might be able to almost like her, or at least dislike her less, there's a reminder of something else I don't like about her. Oh well.

• Love 3

I don't understand that either.  Our neighbor has a son named "something IV"  meaning the fourth generation of the name, not the intravenous fluids!!  But they call him Ivey.  What?  And Erin bates named the baby Charles something or other but they call him Carson.  Another mystery although not a bad name.

Oh that I get. My nephew is a III and has been called by his middle name since birth to distinguish him from my brother. I have known juniors called J.R. and thirds that go by Trey. That makes sense. It is the out of left field thing or in the case of friends, three kids being called by their middle names since birth. None of these kids were named for another person. That I just don't understand.

• Love 3

Actually believe it or not "spooge" is actually a technical term I encountered from my work in the chemical industry.

The licensor of the catalyst and process began to receive complaints of green slimy grunge dripping from flanges and they'd also find it on the internals of equipment. Other than a nuisance to clean up I don't think it was particularly harmful.

Never saw it myself but I imagine it looked like the toy called Slime my brother and I played with as kids.

One of my good friends used to work for that company...I asked her about that stuff and she said' oh yeah, spooge with some reverence it seemed. It really was their insider offcal name as well.

I told her it sounded lIke a euphemism for a bodily fluid. We had a good laugh about it.

So there you have it...another nerdy fact brought to you by a friendly engineer.

I haven't heard of spooge in years!

See, I didn't waste half an hour catching up on jokes about Spurgeon.   I learned something this morning!  That puts me well ahead of all of the Duggars and Seewalds.  The more you know!

• Love 4

If their last name was Smith an unusual name might work-

but with their name easily mistaken for Sea World (as others have mentioned)...

I picked Christopher for my first born because our last name is a difficult one and I wanted to keep things simple!

- My first call to schedule an appointment for him went like this "Is that with a C or a K, is it spelled with a ph or f"

(We were living in Northern, ME where I assumed traditional names and spellings were standard!)

In the end he uses his middle name Vito (his grandfather's name) that I fought long and hard against (because of my incorrect assumption about names!)

• Love 2

Someone mentioned that another site is calling him Spud, which I kinda like. On the other hand, it's not far from Spud to Tater. Which only works if he grows up to weigh 300 lbs.

ETA: And now I want some fish and chips.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4

Thanks for the Quincy explanation, I generally try to find stuff like that on my own so I don't derail the conversation, but I did a skim and didn't see, and I was like 20 pages behind.

And thanks to the person who commented about boards not being that hard, I didn't quote it because I wanted to go through the posts, but I didn't realize there was a whol other page of posts... But thank you, I hope you are right because I am scared out of my mind at this point.

Elliott is such a nice, handsome name.  Maybe they will call him by his middle name.  Fingers crossed!

I think it is a perfect future serial killer name. "Spurgeon Elliott Seewald" was born in a moldhouse in Buttfuck, Ark to illiterate fundamentalist parents...Keith Morrison interviews his MeeMaw at the state asylum after the break.

STOP LOOKING IN MY BRAIN! :) I was just about to post the same thing. But let's of course, wish this little dude all good things, eh? Having this egregious name is truly the least of his problems. Sorry, Spurge-- you've an uphill battle

• Love 5

And thanks to the person who commented about boards not being that hard, I didn't quote it because I wanted to go through the posts, but I didn't realize there was a whol other page of posts... But thank you, I hope you are right because I am scared out of my mind at this point.

Just remember, you only need to get about 35 questions right to pass.

If an idiot like Jill can pass a standardized test, someone who prepared well can too.

• Love 3

I read that as, "Which grandparent will spooge on Spurgeon" twice. TWICE.

This is the point in the clusterfuck where I admit to having an insane amount of Spurgeons in my family. But then again, I come from Bumfuck Hickville, USA.

Wait, what?

You know OTHER Spurgeons??? 

• Love 7

Awful name, to be sure.  But I almost feel like people try to out-weird one another with their names, as though people named "Tom" or "Jane" aren't unique individuals.  I often think that being mocked for having a weird name is unlikely now.  It's more weird to go totally mainstream.

Well, I would like to agree with you, but children don't need much of an excuse to taunt and tease someone, and with a name like Spurgeon, I think that would be a goldmine to some little bully.  But hopefully, being that he probably won't be going to a public school, he will miss all that.

• Love 3