Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I have never seen a fireplace placed like that! I wouldn't have given up the windows in the rear of the house either. Doesn't she need to keep an eye on the eleventy billion kids she's going to have?

No, that's Ivy and Fern's jurisdiction.

10 hours ago, Madtown said:

It drives me nuts that she has 4 kids, but says one of the bedrooms is a bonus room that might be used for a school room. How about putting one of your kids in there. If it doesn't have a window, put one in, instead of taking them out. It's like Jill with Izzy and Sam. You don't need a guest room. Put a sofa bed in Derick's office for guests. Give the boys their own rooms.

I don't think kids need their own room, especially at their ages. I had 5 siblings and we had a boy's room and a girl's room until I was in high school. My girls shared a room until middle school.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Snow ice cream is called snow cream here in NC. It doesn't snow here much so it's a rare thing.  I've never found any dirt or ants in it. lol

Well if you make it right, and put your clean mixing bowl outside when it's snowing to gather fresh snow, there is no dirt or ants in it.  Jessa apparently (I have zero desire to watch her video) gathered the snow after it fell.  

• Love 11

I'd love for my laundry room to have enough space for all my clothes, or my clothes closet to have space for my washer & dryer.  No toting baskets around the house, and clothes can go from the dryer directly to a hanger or folded & put on a shelf.   Also serves as a dressing room. 

Genius to me.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 13
13 hours ago, Nysha said:

I don't think kids need their own room, especially at their ages. I had 5 siblings and we had a boy's room and a girl's room until I was in high school. My girls shared a room until middle school.

I agree that the kids don't need their own bedrooms, but they do need some space (other than the living room) to play.

I was looking at the plan and originally thought she was forgoing the windows in the laundry room and the master bath for cost savings, but I wonder if it's not "modesty." I think they'll regret not adding those windows, and it will be a big deal to add them later.

The thing that kills me is that she has four kids, and plans on having a dozen more, but thinks one "kids bathroom" will be fine. One bathroom for four kids is stretching it a bit already.

Edited by cmr2014
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

I agree that the kids don't need their own bedrooms, but they do need some space (other than the living room) to play.

I was looking at the plan and originally thought she was forgoing the windows in the laundry room and the master bath for cost savings, but I wonder if it's not "modesty." I think they'll regret not adding those windows, and it will be a big deal to add them later.

The thing that kills me is that she has four kids, and plans on having a dozen more, but thinks one "kids bathroom" will be fine. One bathroom for four kids is stretching it a bit already.

Yeah, but remember these kids aren't going to have to get ready to get to school on time Monday through Friday.  Their only scheduled event is probably church on Sunday.  It isn't that tough for 4 people to share a bathroom when none of them has any schedule.

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

And they really need at least one room dedicated to homeschooling and study. But I’m sure that’s not high on Jessa’s list of necessities.

• Love 9

Rather than having a play room/school room, Jessa has a dedicated play area in the living room and no area dedicated to school. It seems to me, the kids' end of the house will barely be used.

Jessa has it set up so she can plant herself firmly on the couch and keep an eye on the kids.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Nysha said:

2 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I have no issues with sharing a bedroom, my sister and I shared, but we only had a 3 bedrooms and besides my parent's, my brother had the other one. We didn't have a play room. We either played in the basement, which wasn't finished and was small and all concrete( I know a lot of houses don't have them in the south)or we played in our room. We also only had one full bathroom for a family of 5 and managed. Like it was said above, they don't have any schedules, so that probably won't be an issue for the 15 kids she'll have.

I mentioned the kids having their own bedrooms, thinking that Spurgeon could possibly have his own, with being the oldest and probably being doomed for the rest of his life because he is the oldest.

• Love 5

my mind is always boggled not by the fact they have a small house and kids share rooms, that is true in lots of families. but the fact that they rarely/never play outside astounds me. a slide in the living room, tricycles and scooters in a small house WTH?

TTH is the same way rollerblading, bikes, scooters, all indoors when they have that huge basketball volleyball court thing just out the back doors. I can't remember if it was Jessa or Joy that posted pics of the pantry at the TTH a while back, but there were scooters in there because whichever kids had rode them in there to gets snacks.

just fence the darn yard and send them out there. Surely Spurge and Herny can be left to play where they cannot wander and will not meet evil influences.

• Love 17
20 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

my mind is always boggled not by the fact they have a small house and kids share rooms, that is true in lots of families. but the fact that they rarely/never play outside astounds me. a slide in the living room, tricycles and scooters in a small house WTH?

I agree! The kids have a great play structure in the backyard that Spurgeon and Henry are old enough to play on without supervision. But, if they go outside they might get into some mischief and Jessa would have to put down her phone, get off her butt, and parent them. I get the impression she's just not all that into her kids.

• Love 17

Did you notice in the app she’s got two brown sofas in the living room?  Please, in the name of all that’s holy get rid of those nasty things and get something decent for the new house!  

For the windows, it sounded to me like she was saying they chose not to add them vs. them taking away something that already existed. If they were trying to save money I could kind of understand that, sometimes you have to compromise. 

Speaking of money though, how are they affording all of this?  It boggles the mind. I do like the laundry room and having the two doors is smart. Personally I would have tried to get a double vanity in the kids bathroom. With four kids already, they need it. 

• Love 13
On 2/8/2022 at 12:47 PM, Madtown said:

It drives me nuts that she has 4 kids, but says one of the bedrooms is a bonus room that might be used for a school room. How about putting one of your kids in there. If it doesn't have a window, put one in, instead of taking them out. It's like Jill with Izzy and Sam. You don't need a guest room. Put a sofa bed in Derick's office for guests. Give the boys their own rooms.

In the design, she had 2 twin beds in one room and a double/queen in the other bedroom. I wondered who was going to be sharing. 

1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

In the design, she had 2 twin beds in one room and a double/queen in the other bedroom. I wondered who was going to be sharing. 

I noticed that too. Right now they have the homemade bunk that has one twin mattress and a full/queen. I wonder if they'll be using those, plus another twin - on the floor. Jessa and Ben have their mattress on the floor now.

Fern is likely still nursing so I'm guessing Jessa will keep her with them for now.

• Love 2
On 2/8/2022 at 5:47 PM, madpsych78 said:

I think she took out the windows for the laundry space and the master bath (which is still a bad idea, but it's not a bedroom). 

I see she's emulating her parents in terms of having one space to hang clothes. Can she even call all of the bedrooms legal bedrooms if she elects not to put closets in any of the bedrooms? Actually, this whole layout reminds me of a mini-TTH (minus the two stories I guess). 

And WTF re: the placement of that fireplace? 

I will say that the design app does look pretty cool. 

Bedrooms have to have a closet, yep. And at least two exits (door, window, typically).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Did they take the closets out of the bedrooms? Like @ginger90 said, they can be used for much more than daily clothes. Toys, out of season clothes/blankets, shoes, books (lol). Reading nooks, dress-up areas, art corners, etc. 

Don't forget that a closet can be used as a prayer closet!

• LOL 13

I have a general question: Aren't hallways a thing where they live? I mean, they open their front door and step directly into their living room? With their shoes? Where do they put the dirty shoes of four kids, their coats, hats etc? Won't the flooring be ruined pretty quickly?

Every random person, the delivery guy, the mail man, everyone ringing the doorbell can see their living room and kitchen. I would hate that. I can understand a situation like that in an old house, but they did pretty much everything new. Why do you choose this? 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Dirndl said:

I have a general question: Aren't hallways a thing where they live? I mean, they open their front door and step directly into their living room? With their shoes? Where do they put the dirty shoes of four kids, their coats, hats etc? Won't the flooring be ruined pretty quickly?

Every random person, the delivery guy, the mail man, everyone ringing the doorbell can see their living room and kitchen. I would hate that. I can understand a situation like that in an old house, but they did pretty much everything new. Why do you choose this? 

Not every house has that - regardless of where they live.  Jill's and Joy's houses are the same way.

Edited by lookeyloo
Add
  • Love 8
Just now, lookeyloo said:

Not every house has that - regardless of where they live

OK, that's interesting. I live in Europa and I have never seen a floorplan like that in my country. Thanks. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Dirndl said:

It really depends on when the house was built, where and the base price of a home.  Open floor plans have been popular in the States for a few years now.  So yes, the front door opens right into the living room.  If the home has a garage,  you may find a mudroom off the garage door or a hallway where you could hang up some hooks for coats and a rack for shoes.  It also depends on where the house is built. If you live in an area where wearing a coat daily is a thing, then builders will try to create a space for easy storage.   In Arkansas,  winter coats get trotted out a handful of days in the year.  You don't need a mudroom or convenient access to the coat closet.  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

In Arkansas,  winter coats get trotted out a handful of days in the year. 

It's more than a few days a year here in the Ozarks. Maybe not heavy coats, but jackets and coats are pretty commonly worn throughout the fall and winter. It's not like the deeper parts of the South that rarely drop below freezing. You don't need a parka, but it is cool enough to need another layer. I grew up for part of my childhood in a couple of houses with mudrooms and they got a lot of use. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Zella said:

It's more than a few days a year here in the Ozarks. Maybe not heavy coats, but jackets and coats are pretty commonly worn throughout the fall and winter. It's not like the deeper parts of the South that rarely drop below freezing. You don't need a parka, but it is cool enough to need another layer. I grew up for part of my childhood in a couple of houses with mudrooms and they got a lot of use. 

I sometimes forget that my Midwest ass is the one who rarely wears a coat in the winter.  Southerners will wear one when it's 40 degrees.  I get by with sweaters and a fleece.  I don't break out the wool coat until it's in the low 20s.

• Love 6
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

I sometimes forget that my Midwest ass is the one who rarely wears a coat in the winter.  Southerners will wear one when it's 40 degrees.  I get by with sweaters and a fleece.  I don't break out the wool coat until it's in the low 20s.

I get overheated pretty easily, so I don't usually bundle up even when I should, but yeah I think it definitely is a matter of what you're adjusted to. I've seen people visiting from Southern California wear layers here for Christmas and complain about how cold it is in a way that seems absurd to me but then ran into people from Minnesota talking about how mild they find the weather. LOL And none of us are really wrong, even if it seems goofy to anyone else. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jessa and the kids only wear shoes when forced. I can't imagine her not having an entrance off the kitchen for at least shoes. 

Ditto for Joy and family. Their floors must be filthy.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Zella said:

I get overheated pretty easily, so I don't usually bundle up even when I should, but yeah I think it definitely is a matter of what you're adjusted to. I've seen people visiting from Southern California wear layers here for Christmas and complain about how cold it is in a way that seems absurd to me but then ran into people from Minnesota talking about how mild they find the weather. LOL And none of us are really wrong, even if it seems goofy to anyone else. 

When I lived in San Francisco, lots of people would freak out if it got warmer than 75 or colder than 40. I went to grad school with some fellow students who had lived in Southern California all of their lives, and broke out their scarves and mittens at 60 degrees.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I will confess to wearing my parka last week here in Florida. It was below 50 degrees! Originally from Connecticut and never thought I would find that temperature to be cold, but after living here full time, sadly I now find anything below 65 degrees cold. I think Jessa’s kids wear coats when it’s cold enough to them. This is one thing I can’t criticize her for. Her house design doesn’t seem to have an area for coats or shoes except that big laundry area. Maybe she thinks she can contain everything there.

Saw she posted pictures of shopping at that huge sale they all seem to go to. Looks like she bought the girls dresses, they were cute but not sure how practical unless the dresses are just for church.

• Love 3

Around here (New England) some have mudrooms, some have hallways and some have coat closets. They're used year round and are used for coats, backpacks, footwear, winter gear, summer gear, etc. There's no hard and fast rule on what homes have what, but what I would call a real mud room is rare in homes without an attached garage. And rules regarding footwear in the home vary widely too. The only consistent rule most share is removing wet boots or muddy footwear at the door and most have at least a rubber mat during the winter and spring. 

• Love 8

When Jessa was talking about having two doors to the laundry room, its a good thing they went with both. If they didn't put a door to the primary bedroom, they couldn't have listed it as a bedroom, because without the laundry room door, that room wouldn't have had a closet.

I wonder if the kids will adjust easily to sleeping so far away from their parents. They all stayed in the parents room beyond they first year and then were just across the hall. And assuming Ivy will have the other bedroom, I wonder how she'll adjust to sleeping alone for the first time. As it is now, she shares a bed with Henry.

• Love 1