Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

I guessing homes built mid century may be flimsier than the earlier ones. I grew up in a house built in 1909. Although I don't live there anymore, it's still standing as are most the houses built during that time.

Joanna Gaines turns the kitchen, living and dining rooms in every home she works on into one large room. When you remove walls that are supporting the upper floor and/or roof, you need to replace them with a support beam. 

• Love 8

hi everyone. just wanted to add that i watch ALL those hgtv reno shows too. i happen to have a white kitchen simply because it was here when we moved in. i have it all designed in my head that when (if) we buy this house, certain walls are out, the kitchen will not be white (but not dark either) and never stainless steel. i personally prefer white appliances.  i prefer the 'open concept' as well as most of the shows seem to.

back to jessa, i thought that her house looked nice when the family redid it for them after their marriage. it has potential and is perfect for a small family.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Perhaps American homes seem flimsy because American TV shows seem to have an obsession with knocking out walls in them. 

Austin’s house looked like a shanty.

I look at real estate ads in the Sunday newspaper.  "Open Concept" seems to be a thing now.  I had my ceiling in my kitchen restored to its original height during a remodel, but I wouldn't agree to have a wall removed.  Wall space is a good thing, when one has a lot of paintings.  My house is mid-century, and I like the room divisions as they are.

Didn't Grandma Duggar live it the house that Jessa owns now?  She might have good memories of that time.  I would love to be able to afford the houses I grew up in, or my Grandpa's house from the 60's.  Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

• Love 2
On 11/10/2018 at 1:41 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Scarlett45 summed it up very well. As someone all too familiar with TLC real estate programming addiction, it is true that most of these programs do love to create the drama of suddenly and magically discovering major building problems that will clobber the reno budget...gasp!!!

But my own new house is all windows, white walls, blue and cream furniture and light wood floors. It’s really sort of Scandanavian, if anything. So all American houses aren’t the same any more than all European houses are, yes?

Your house sounds like it's right up my alley.  I'm jealous.

OT.  Sorry.

• Love 2

I can't get over all the knicknacks and pictures crowded all over her limited counter space.  That would drive me crazy.  I love my big counters and I only keep a limited number of appliances on them, and no pictures that will surely get splatted with food during meal prepping.  I bet Jessa never windexes the crud off those photos and fancy frames.

Also, I cannot imagine blinds right behind the stove.  It's not called a backsplash fro nothing!

• Love 24

That's an old setup. They have the table off to the right now, next to the front door, and there's a tiny prep table in the middle of the kitchen floor space.

edit: If you saw the episode when Jessa hosted the "honeymoon" dinner (when Austin marveled that salad didn't need lettuce), the table was in that position.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't think she ever lived there; the place was in a state of major disrepair when they decided that the Smuggars would live there. Mary owns a lot of property, much of it in the fixer-upper category. 

Then it seems strange that Jessa wanted it.  

It's also strange to me, to see a stove under a window.  My sink is under my window, and I thought that was sort of standard, for kitchens.  She has two windows, but still, it looks odd.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, louannems said:

, and no pictures that will surely get splatted with food during meal prepping.  I bet Jessa never windexes the crud off those photos and fancy frames.

Haha, meal prepping?  I don’t think there’s a whole lot of that going on!  ?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Then it seems strange that Jessa wanted it.  

It's also strange to me, to see a stove under a window.  My sink is under my window, and I thought that was sort of standard, for kitchens.  She has two windows, but still, it looks odd.

It looks weird because it lacks a vent hood. 

3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

A gas range under a window isn’t a very good idea at all.

Why? I've seen gas stoves under windows before. I wouldn't want one there because my cats would be sitting on the stove to look out the window, and in the process sprinkling their fur in the burners, but I see no reason why it's a bad idea. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Heathen said:

It looks weird because it lacks a vent hood. 

Why? I've seen gas stoves under windows before. I wouldn't want one there because my cats would be sitting on the stove to look out the window, and in the process sprinkling their fur in the burners, but I see no reason why it's a bad idea. 

A breeze from an open window can blow out the flame on a gas burner and allow gas to accumulate possibly unnoticed prior to a potential explosion. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 11
On 11/10/2018 at 1:42 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I would say yes, BUT the USA is so large geographically, ethnically diverse, and style/tastes also very by income and city vs suburban vs rural residence when it comes to something like furniture or clothing you couldn’t say the country has a more specific style. Does that make any sense?

Exactly. In Chicago we have brick style homes. Ours is full brick. I have never lived in a "frame" home which are usually sided. It depends too on when they houses were built, materials available and how much money was available to built. I see builders just slap houses together quickly and they look cheap and not full brick. I can't explain it but depending on where you live housing styles vary vastly.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Exactly. In Chicago we have brick style homes. Ours is full brick. I have never lived in a "frame" home which are usually sided. It depends too on when they houses were built, materials available and how much money was available to built. I see builders just slap houses together quickly and they look cheap and not full brick. I can't explain it but depending on where you live housing styles vary vastly.

Me neither! (Another chicago gal).

1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Me neither! (Another chicago gal).

• Love 2
On 11/12/2018 at 7:37 AM, zoomama said:

hi everyone. just wanted to add that i watch ALL those hgtv reno shows too. i happen to have a white kitchen simply because it was here when we moved in. i have it all designed in my head that when (if) we buy this house, certain walls are out, the kitchen will not be white (but not dark either) and never stainless steel. i personally prefer white appliances.  i prefer the 'open concept' as well as most of the shows seem to.

back to jessa, i thought that her house looked nice when the family redid it for them after their marriage. it has potential and is perfect for a small family.

I want one of those ranges that are Ferrari red or that pretty bright blue.  I was friends with one of the Milton Bradley heirs (helped him with his shopping etc) and he had a blue range that I coveted.  He was an interesting fella.  He had one large kitchen and each side had a fridge and range.  His house was dreamy.  

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

Where I live in Eastern North Carolina homes historically have been made of wood.  We live in the coastal plain where rock and clay are not to be had.  Only the wealthy had homes built with brick since it had to be shipped in.  Now, brick has come down in price enough for it to be more common.  

• Love 1
On 11/14/2018 at 4:06 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Where I live in Eastern North Carolina homes historically have been made of wood.  We live in the coastal plain where rock and clay are not to be had.  Only the wealthy had homes built with brick since it had to be shipped in.  Now, brick has come down in price enough for it to be more common.  

I think brick is going to begin to disappear again in the Eastern NC area and not because of price. Due to all the flooding and storms of late, people need to build their homes up on stilts (so to speak). Especially by the coast they are coded for the living areas to be above 16’. Bricks are a lot of weight to be stabilized and secured up that high. Still there are many areas near the beach that have lovely brick homes. I think that they provide a bit of toughness for when projectiles are flying during a hurricane. 

• Love 5

It was too good to be true, Jessa is regressing to Jill level. UGH 😑. Arhansas Razorbacks?

2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yes, but what is the possible point of getting a kid to recite something when he obviously has less than no idea of what pretty much any of it means?

JB and MEchelle think Ben and Jessa are too lenient on the kids;  since they control the money it’s time for Spurgeon to get in line. Another bot in the making.

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yes, but what is the possible point of getting a kid to recite something when he obviously has less than no idea of what pretty much any of it means?

Oh, it will help Spurgen Bodine in his teens when he's learning his ciphering, his times & his gazintas....

• Love 13
1 hour ago, SMama said:

JB and MEchelle think Ben and Jessa are too lenient on the kids

I'll bet you're absolutely right. They probably regard Jill and Derick as much more "Godly" parents who are training Israel to know his proper place in the family pecking order.

• Love 9

Alas, @GeeGolly, I believe I'm in the same sad situation.  My mid-30's daughter was never told to be fruitful, nor was she told to shun sinners.  We both may have missed the boat with our kids' upbringing, but I'm betting your kids and mine can think for themselves, be in charge of their own lives, and live their best lives.

• Love 18

@GeeGolly, your post was hilarious! I wore out my Raffi tapes/CDs(yes, I'm old now)when I watched kids. I too was teaching the kids the same things you taught your own kids at Spurgen's age. I will say Sprug did better than Izzy did on his reciting of Bible versus. Though, I think Izzy's was longer if I remember. Looks like Spurg got a haircut too. I find him to be adorable.

• Love 4

So we now know Jessa spends her day getting Spurge to memorize bible passages. Why clean your house or put away laundry when you could be drilling Psalms into your child? Also it looks like Henry was napping on the couch, do Jessa’s kids ever sleep in their own bed or crib?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

So we now know Jessa spends her day getting Spurge to memorize bible passages. Why clean your house or put away laundry when you could be drilling Psalms into your child? Also it looks like Henry was napping on the couch, do Jessa’s kids ever sleep in their own bed or crib?

I think they all sleep in the one king sized bed, based on some of her pictures, and especially the one of the "guest room" in their two bedroom house stacked high with stuff.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I think they all sleep in the one king sized bed, based on some of her pictures, and especially the one of the "guest room" in their two bedroom house stacked high with stuff.

I think that is great and likely why they haven't had a third baby yet. How do you ever have sex when your kids sleep in your room, especially at Spurgeon's and Henry's ages. You don't. haha.

Also I think co-sleeping goes against Mechelle's parenting style of just shuffling off the baby once it hits 6 months.  Hopefully a sign that Jessa will be a better mother than Mechelle ever was. 

To each their own and I don't think one is better than the other but I moved my daughter to the room next door when she was 8 weeks. I could not sleep with her in there, and was way too afraid to ever co sleep. 

• Love 2
On 11/20/2018 at 1:25 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

“Jesus wept.”  Short and Sweet. Rote memorization should wait until the 6th grade.  Remember the Jabberwocky?  Then in 9th grade, Macbeth’s soliloquy? 

For younger kids, they should do things to music, like They Might be Giants, or the Fifty Nifty United States. Ugh. These poor kids. 

• Love 15