Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

Cole Sprouse. I get the vibe that he's a lot more like Jughead's super unique "I'm weird, I'm a weirdo" artsy-fartsy white boy than he'd like to admit. He's such a condescending douche in every single interview or piece of social media I've seen of him. 

Plus he's a terrible actor. I swear people only think he's good because his competition is KJ Apa's dead eyes and monotone lmao. But Sprouse's overacting is just as bad IMO, only in a different way. That little hand gesture he made as Jughead when he was going on his 'weirdo' rant (i.e. the moment where he says, "I'm not normal and I don't want to be normal") was something straight out of a high school acting class 101 playbook. 

• Love 4
On 8/29/2017 at 11:34 AM, galax-arena said:

Cole Sprouse. I get the vibe that he's a lot more like Jughead's super unique "I'm weird, I'm a weirdo" artsy-fartsy white boy than he'd like to admit. He's such a condescending douche in every single interview or piece of social media I've seen of him. 

Plus he's a terrible actor. I swear people only think he's good because his competition is KJ Apa's dead eyes and monotone lmao. But Sprouse's overacting is just as bad IMO, only in a different way. That little hand gesture he made as Jughead when he was going on his 'weirdo' rant (i.e. the moment where he says, "I'm not normal and I don't want to be normal") was something straight out of a high school acting class 101 playbook. 

I've only seen one episode of Riverdale, so I can't comment on Cole. But he was a child actor (on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody), I find that most child actors are hired because they play it big or know how to ham it up on a Disney show. Basically, they're hired because they're cute and aren't shy in front of a camera. This doesn't always translste into true acting talent. 

I'm racking my brain for examples of famous child actors who are now respected adult actors....

--I always liked Melissa Gilbert on Little House, and she had a successful career making a slew of Lifetime original movies. The movies themselves were cheesy, but I always liked her as an actor. 

--Kim Fields went from Tootie on Facts of Life to Regine on Living Single, and I thought she excelled in both roles. She spent a season on RHO Atlanta, but I haven't seen her on TV in a few years. 

--I thought Dakota Fanning would have a bigger adult career since she was an amazing child actor--not just a cute kid who appeared in movies. 

--I just found out that Jake Gyllenhaal played Billy Crystal's mouthy kid in City Slickers. I liked his recent movie roles, so I guess he did have real talent when he was a kid. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, topanga said:

I've only seen one episode of Riverdale, so I can't comment on Cole. But he was a child actor (on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody), I find that most child actors are hired because they play it big or know how to ham it up on a Disney show. Basically, they're hired because they're cute and aren't shy in front of a camera. This doesn't always translste into true acting talent. 

I'm racking my brain for examples of famous child actors who are now respected adult actors....

--I always liked Melissa Gilbert on Little House, and she had a successful career making a slew of Lifetime original movies. The movies themselves were cheesy, but I always liked her as an actor. 

--Kim Fields went from Tootie on Facts of Life to Regine on Living Single, and I thought she excelled in both roles. She spent a season on RHO Atlanta, but I haven't seen her on TV in a few years. 

--I thought Dakota Fanning would have a bigger adult career since she was an amazing child actor--not just a cute kid who appeared in movies. 

--I just found out that Jake Gyllenhaal played Billy Crystal's mouthy kid in City Slickers. I liked his recent movie roles, so I guess he did have real talent when he was a kid. 

I think Kurt Russell was a child actor.  Actually, I know he was, I just never saw anything he was in as a kid.

Ron Howard, though he obviously switched to directing, he was more or less an adult on Happy Days.

Lindsay Lohan would actually be a decent actress if she could just keep her act together.

Jason Bateman--He's not an A lister, but he works steadily and you never (at least I haven't) hear bad of him.  Although, he did go down a few notches in my book after the movie Paul. That's probably going to be my best example.

Valerie Bertinelli.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Jodie Foster always springs to mind first, but putting my thinking cap on, I'm also coming up with Claire Danes, Neil Patrick Harris, Dean Stockwell, Natalie Portman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mae Whitman, Fred Savage, Drew Barrymore, and Rick(y) Schroder.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

She has a lead role in a TNT series debuting this fall called The Alienist.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Ron Howard, though he obviously switched to directing, he was more or less an adult on Happy Days.

I first saw him when he was a kid on The Andy Griffith Show.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

That's why we call him Opie.

But, before that, he was Winthrop, the kid who lisps, in the movie of The Music Man.

And even before that he had more than a dozen credits and multiple appearances on Dennis the Menace. He and Clint were definitely child actors. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

And even before that he had more than a dozen credits and multiple appearances on Dennis the Menace. He and Clint were definitely child actors. 

Thank you for not 4getting Clint, because he's a good actor, too.

Lukas Haas was very good in Witness, and has had a decent career.

Patty Duke (RIP) started her career with an Oscar.

Judy Garland was a child star on vaudeville.  

23 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Natalie Wood.  

Wait! You can't stand the late Natalie Wood? To each their own but  yeesh (if that's the case)! Moreover, I don't recall her ever being on TV except for the occasional interview!

Edited by Blergh
punctuation
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Wait! You can't stand the late Natalie Wood? To each their own but  yeesh (if that's the case)! Moreover, I don't recall her ever being on TV except for the occasional interview!

Not to speak for @Haleth but I think that was an addition to the list of children actors who had respectable adult careers.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

I was adding to the list of child actors. Sorry, I'll fix my post cuz I have no problem with Natalie Wood. 

Edited by Haleth
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I was adding to the list of child actors. Sorry, I'll fix my post cuz I have no problem with Natalie Wood. 

Thanks for clarifying that, Haleth!

OK, to bring this back on topic, here's one I can't stand despite the fact that I admire her valiant fight against cancer, Sharon Osbourne. While I seriously believe that her longtime union with Ozzy contributed to her less likable personality traits, I'm sorry I but she just come across as someone best admired from a distance -if that.

On August 21, 2017 at 2:51 PM, Blergh said:

How could I have overlooked it but today's Uno Wutt seems to have brought light to my abiding dislike: Geraldo Rivera.

NEVER could stand him but what was especially revolting was the way he'd try to ape being Phil Donahue re crying  crocodile  mawkish tears for victims of horrific abuse that he had no qualms exploiting all over again on his show . Meanwhile, it was public record that not only did he treat marriage as a joking revolving door but also was alleged to have been just about as bad to other women as his victims excuse me, talk show guests had  happened to them. I mean, at least Phil Donahue was sincere in his empathy for the guests on his show and had no accusations of being less than honorable to the women in his life!  Just UGH!

Funny story; I saw him in a restaurant in NYC right after his nose was broken and was stunned because he is tiny.

Someone commented about those "Whose Your Daddy" shows and why would people go on there.  Two reasons:  Free trip to NYC, and they get to stay in a hotel; and they get to be on TV.  I always remember Nicole Kidman's character in "To Die For" when she said, "You're not anybody unless you're on TV."

Many people believe that.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I think she was kind of funny before she got super successful, but now she's just mean.  What foolishness can she get an audience member to endure, knowing that win or lose the "game" they all get prizes?  Lots and lost of foolishness.  Mean.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I think she was kind of funny before she got super successful, but now she's just mean.  What foolishness can she get an audience member to endure, knowing that win or lose the "game" they all get prizes?  Lots and lost of foolishness.  Mean.

I don't watch talk shows for the most part.  But, if I were forced to watch one, I would pick her over The View or Rosie O'Donnell's show back when it was on, or any of the "whose the daddy?" shows.

• Love 2
On 8/21/2017 at 5:54 PM, cynicat said:

Considering all the love that Jerry Lewis is getting since his death, I feel obliged to add him to this forum.  I never found him funny, and he always seemed like a total dick.  

I wasn't a fan of him as an actor myself either. He seemed like an unfunny jerk.

I used to be an Oprah fan, but now I can't stand her.

Can't stand Mariska Hargitay either. Just too much of her character on SVU. O_O

Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz. Both annoying and insufferable.

Kirk Cameron... a bit creepy.

Bill Cosby, nuff' said.

• Love 4
Just now, Bastet said:

A bit?!  If there's a way in which he isn't creepy, I haven't detected it since about halfway through Growing Pains.

I know. I'm just being a bit polite there lol. Back in the day I didn't mind him... but that... uber Christianity thing kind of creeps me out.

• Love 4
On 9/8/2017 at 0:40 AM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I know. I'm just being a bit polite there lol. Back in the day I didn't mind him... but that... uber Christianity thing kind of creeps me out.

I never watched Growing Pains, but he's the type that gives Christians a bad name. It was horribly insensitive of him to say that hurricanes were sent by God to teach people humility.

• Love 21
18 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I loathe Dr. Phub and the fact that he has a scripted show on CBS. Now another one of Oprah's pets that she let loose on the world is getting one.

CBS Developing Medical Miracle Drama Series With Dr. Oz

I actually don't mind Dr. Phil.  But, I've only seen his show maybe 5 times, he may get annoying on  a more regular basis.  But, most of what he said seemed like good common sense, which so many people, at least the people on this show, seem to lack.  Like there was this divorced woman whose divorce settlement gave her like $10,000 a month (OK I don't the exact number but it was a lot) and the ex filed for bankruptcy and she just kept spending and was deep in debt.  And Dr. Phil was like "stop spending.  Get a job."  Get a job may not be so easy, but stop spending is easier.  Anyway, all she kept saying was "supposed to."  And, he was like you have to deal with the actual situation, not what it's supposed to be.  But, she just would not hear that, no matter how many times he said it.  I actually felt kind of bad for her, because you're just never going to be happy with that kind of bitterness and living in a fantasy world. I feel worse for her kids, because while I'm sure she loves them, she's not setting them a good example and she's hurting their future.

Considering how much hard work he did to help the victims of Katrina rebuild their lives  and the facts that he's a fairly good entertainer and I haven't heard anything really 'off' about him, I hate to do this but I have to admit that I can't stand Harry Connick, Jr. as a TV personality. I tried watching his talk show and he seemed SO over-the-top, mugging  and grating that I couldn't stand it and I felt sorry for his shy  daughter who seemed to wish she was anywhere but there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Considering how much hard work he did to help the victims of Katrina rebuild their lives  and the facts that he's a fairly good entertainer and I haven't heard anything really 'off' about him, I hate to do this but I have to admit that I can't stand Harry Connick, Jr. as a TV personality. I tried watching his talk show and he seemed SO over-the-top, mugging  and grating that I couldn't stand it and I felt sorry for his shy  daughter who seemed to wish she was anywhere but there.

I think it's fine, and actually good, to not like someone as an entertainer, and not feel that you have to carry that over and dislike them as a person. Or vice-versa.  We really no very little about celebrities.  Even the ones that are most talked about, so IMO, it doesn't really make much sense to hate or love them as human beings.  Just in their professional capacity.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

I actually don't mind Dr. Phil.  But, I've only seen his show maybe 5 times, he may get annoying on  a more regular basis.  But, most of what he said seemed like good common sense, which so many people, at least the people on this show, seem to lack.  Like there was this divorced woman whose divorce settlement gave her like $10,000 a month (OK I don't the exact number but it was a lot) and the ex filed for bankruptcy and she just kept spending and was deep in debt.  And Dr. Phil was like "stop spending.  Get a job."  Get a job may not be so easy, but stop spending is easier.  Anyway, all she kept saying was "supposed to."  And, he was like you have to deal with the actual situation, not what it's supposed to be.  But, she just would not hear that, no matter how many times he said it.  I actually felt kind of bad for her, because you're just never going to be happy with that kind of bitterness and living in a fantasy world. I feel worse for her kids, because while I'm sure she loves them, she's not setting them a good example and she's hurting their future.

He's a snake-oil salesman in general.  He has the occasional bit of good advice, but that's about it.

• Love 12
On 9/12/2017 at 10:58 AM, Enigma X said:

I can't stand the new woman on The Food Network who hosts I Hart Food (Hannah Hart?). She is like a female Guy Fieri. I hate him.

I was really looking forward to her show, because I love her "My Drunk Kitchen" youtube videos. But this was just another "host visits various restaurants and watches chefs prepare their specialties" show.

• Love 3
On August 31, 2017 at 1:08 PM, topanga said:

I feel bad saying this but I always felt Dakota was a little too put together as a child and it was kinda creepy/off putting.  Not that that was her fault but I never thought of her as a normal kid who played in the mud and swiped icing off a cake when no one was looking.  She just seemed too perfect.  Having said that, her new show does look good and I do want to check it out.  

On the flip side, another former child actor who made it and is generally respected (and it's Emmy night and I just saw her win) is Elisabeth Moss.  She's been acting for ages.  The thing is I've actually never seen her in Mad Men nor the Hand Maiden's Tale but a lot people are happy to finally see her win so good for her.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

I never really had an opinion on Ian Somerhalder before, but after hearing that he flushed his wife's birth control pills down the toilet without her consent then videotaped her freaking out about it and thought that was a cute story to tell? Awful. I know I'm a nobody, but he is cancelled AF in my house.

• Love 19
11 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

I never really had an opinion on Ian Somerhalder before, but after hearing that he flushed his wife's birth control pills down the toilet without her consent then videotaped her freaking out about it and thought that was a cute story to tell? Awful. I know I'm a nobody, but he is cancelled AF in my house.

When I read that headline, I was shocked it didn't end with "wife immediately files for divorce." That is so fucked up.

• Love 4
On 8/21/2017 at 4:16 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Couldn't agree more, @Blergh!

Which is why I ????my ass off when those Nazis fighting on his show ended up breaking his nose! Because he was trying to act all moral and superior. And I did the same when he bait and switched people into watching his special about how he, and only HE, found the remains of Jimmy Hoffa, only to be humiliated when it was all a bunch of nothing. So no surprise when he ended up on Fox. I also ???because I know that twit of a reporter, Ramirez on the 80s animated G. I. Joe is a caricature of Geraldo!????????

Al Capone, actually.

Jimmy Hoffa, for all intents and purposes, is still technically considered presumed dead (well, by now probably not), but Al Capone is dead dead, and it was his vault that Geraldo humiliated himself with. 

On 9/17/2017 at 11:33 PM, kiddo82 said:

On the flip side, another former child actor who made it and is generally respected (and it's Emmy night and I just saw her win) is Elisabeth Moss.  She's been acting for ages.  The thing is I've actually never seen her in Mad Men nor the Hand Maiden's Tale but a lot people are happy to finally see her win so good for her.

She's a Scientologist., so she annoys me for that reason, but I have a bit more sympathy for her since she was raised in it.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

Considering how much hard work he did to help the victims of Katrina rebuild their lives  and the facts that he's a fairly good entertainer and I haven't heard anything really 'off' about him, I hate to do this but I have to admit that I can't stand Harry Connick, Jr. as a TV personality. 

For me, I think he's great (though never watched his talk show) but he was the WORST part  Will and Grace in the final seasons which is why I'm more than ok with the retcon for the reboot.  

2 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Does that mean that she was a Scientologist all her life?

More or less, yes, just like others like Juliette Lewis and, until 2013, Leah Remini (well, not her WHOLE life, she was around seven when her mom joined). When Leah won her Emmy for her CO$ show recently, Elisabeth Moss left the room. I like to imagine she was hiding in a dark corner, trying to ward herself off from Leah's evil Suppressive Person ways. 

• Love 10
On 9/23/2017 at 1:28 PM, UYI said:

She's a Scientologist., so she annoys me for that reason, but I have a bit more sympathy for her since she was raised in it.

No wonder she always acted like a robot in Mad Men.  Seriously, there was always something "off" about her acting.

• Love 6
On 7/10/2017 at 6:24 PM, Katy M said:

I think I've only seen him on L&O.  I'm talking about the same guy, right?  I get people mixed up sometimes. Anyway, I liked him well enough on that show, but I don't think I've ever seen an interview or anything to make me think either way as a person.

Yes, Anthony Anderson from (most recently) Black-ish & the To Tell the Truth reboot, among other things, is the same actor who was on Law & Order from 2008 until it ended in 2010, playing Detective Bernard. I liked him in Law & Order (still watch the repeats) & I liked him playing a sort of sidekick to Alex O'Loughlin's character in the movie The Backup Plan, but I'm not sure how many here will like it, Jennifer Lopez is the female lead in it, opposite Alex.

On 9/17/2017 at 11:33 PM, kiddo82 said:

I feel bad saying this but I always felt Dakota was a little too put together as a child and it was kinda creepy/off putting.  Not that that was her fault but I never thought of her as a normal kid who played in the mud and swiped icing off a cake when no one was looking.  She just seemed too perfect.  Having said that, her new show does look good and I do want to check it out.  

I haven't seen Mad Men either (the premise didn't grab me), or The Handmaid's Tale (so far, I don't have Hulu), or Top of the Lake (which she's soon doing a second season of on the Sundance Channel). But I'm thrilled she finally won an Emmy (actually 2--the other was because she's also credited as a producer on The Handmaid's Tale which won as Best Drama & the Emmys for the best show in each genre go to the producer). I've been hoping she'd win 1 since she was in The West Wing, playing Zoey Bartlet, the youngest of the 3 First Daughters in the show. I thought she'd been Emmy-nominated for that role, but it turns out she never was. She should've been.

Apologies for the strikeouts; I'm not sure how they got turned on & I can't erase them.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
10 hours ago, GaT said:

I have just discovered Ree Drummond, & her voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. How can anybody spend an entire show listening to that voice?

THANK YOU!  I have to change the channel when her show comes on.

And Katie Lee on "The Kitchen": her nasal delivery makes me crazy.

• Love 2