Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:17 AM, Bastet said:

“When a thing exists which you really abhor, I wish you would remember a little whether in letting it alone you are minding your own business on principle, or simply because it is comfortable to do so."
- John Galsworthy

“Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. Well-aimed slingshots can topple giants.”
- Maggie Kuhn

“If everyone does one thing, they are likely to do two things, then three things.  Then they are likely to influence friends and family, and that’s how you build a movement.  That’s how change happens.”
- Laurie David

These things don't stop being true when one is a celebrity.  In fact, I think they become more important to remember -- when society hands someone a microphone, they have a responsibility to use that influence.

I kind of agree with that, but I think there's a line.  You can, and maybe should, voice your opinion.  But, you should not do it in such a way that proclaims that you are right and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong.  I mean, sure, if it's the 1930s go ahead and say Hitler is evil.  But, most people and issues are not that black and white.

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That is the first I have heard of that.  Considering the number of children running around at Disneyland, I find that truly heinous.

It was from an interview in People magazine. 

http://people.com/archive/mario-lopez-bares-all-vol-69-no-25/

It's kind of long, and that quote is at the end:

Where’s the most unusual place you’ve ever had sex?
On the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. That’s a long ride, by the way. It’s very dark. I’ve never told anybody that. Hopefully I’ll get the raft named after me!

I know (because a friend worked there) that video tapes (DVD now I'm sure) were made of such rides like Pirates, Adventure Through Inner Space, Haunted Mansion, to watch riders to ensure they didn't get out of the cars to take stuff or play around and to protect from lawsuits if people got hurt.  Of course they caught a lot of people making out and more on the rides too.  The employees used to hold parties to play the tapes. 

I would think that if he really did have sex on Pirates, there's a tape or DVD of it somewhere.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

is it too late to mention Donald Trump?

Ha! It would be funny/painful/instructive to reread old Apprentice forums. I always thought he was a pompous ass but sort of came around in the first season to find him an amusing ass. I didn't watch subsequent seasons so my opinion may have changed, but I'd cringe to see some of my positive comments now.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

It's never too late to mention the Orange One!

Especially since he's the "leader" of the free world ("leader" in quotation marks because I never thought he was qualified, and still don't)!

• Love 9

Love Stephen Colbert, love the show. But I just can't stand Jon Batiste and the constant talking and chirping throughout the show, especially the monologue. He is very talented but either he or the show needs to cut his microphone unless it is a bit. The show would be perfect without him.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, juno said:

Love Stephen Colbert, love the show. But I just can't stand Jon Batiste and the constant talking and chirping throughout the show, especially the monologue. He is very talented but either he or the show needs to cut his microphone unless it is a bit. The show would be perfect without him.

Different strokes.... I think Jon Batiste is adorable.

• Love 4

Robert Irvine was loud, annoying and obnoxious while on the Food Network, before he was fired for lying on his resume and for some reason, he has a talk show now where he is still all 3 of those things.  His show seems to be of the sleazy variety as the day I tuned in he was doing lie detector tests.  He always seemed so full of rage on his shows as well.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CaffeinatedAunt79 said:

Robert Irvine was loud, annoying and obnoxious while on the Food Network, before he was fired for lying on his resume and for some reason, he has a talk show now where he is still all 3 of those things.  His show seems to be of the sleazy variety as the day I tuned in he was doing lie detector tests.  He always seemed so full of rage on his shows as well.

Agree!  Not only has he been trainwreck TV from the word go but he's rather annoying.  I stuck with him longer than I should have but when he dissed  a place's food  then SPAT IT OUT on their table rather than attempting to use a napkin , a plate or even his hand, I was DONE!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Agree!  Not only has he been trainwreck TV from the word go but he's rather annoying.  I stuck with him longer than I should have but when he dissed  a place's food  then SPAT IT OUT on their table rather than attempting to use a napkin , a plate or even his hand, I was DONE!

Wow.  Unless it literally tasted like poop, and I mean literally, or was somehow causing him physical pain, that's just pretty hard to justify. 

• Love 2

Seriously.  Even Gordon Ramsey would never go that far or be that vulgar.

And speaking of vulgar, I can't stand Guy Fieri.  He dresses like a slob, and he's loud and obnoxious as hell.  Take some pride in your appearance, man, and stop looking as though you just got out of bed and threw the first thing at hand on!

• Love 11
On 4/22/2017 at 11:36 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Seriously.  Even Gordon Ramsey would never go that far or be that vulgar.

And speaking of vulgar, I can't stand Guy Fieri.  He dresses like a slob, and he's loud and obnoxious as hell.  Take some pride in your appearance, man, and stop looking as though you just got out of bed and threw the first thing at hand on!

I wonder if he regrets going with that bowling shirt, frosted tips and backwards sunglasses look? Now he's stuck with it. Looks like he should be in a Smashmouth video.

• Love 11
On 4/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, ChromaKelly said:

I wonder if he regrets going with that bowling shirt, frosted tips and backwards sunglasses look? Now he's stuck with it. Looks like he should be in a Smashmouth video.

On 4/22/2017 at 10:36 PM, legaleagle53 said:

I'll skip dumping on  the appearance of Mr. Fieri' [which is supposed to be pronounced Fee-AIR-ee with NO 'd' in there but he's evidently bullied everyone on the network to do it HIS way] but say I hate how gross he gets  with other folks' food and how he thinks closeups of him  stuffing huge quantities into his big mouth is entertaining. I long quit trying to watch him even before I finally gave up the network altogether.

Edited by Blergh
redundant him removed
  • Love 4

Another chef I cannot stand (I don't know if this one is on television, though) is Bobby Flay; one reason why is because I've heard that (and I may be incorrect) in a lot of his dishes, you have to take them and eat them as is, even if you dislike any of the things in them (which means that, if you eat in one of his restaurants, and a burger has tomato on it, you have to eat it with the tomato). That was a long time ago, and I forget if that's still the case.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, bmasters9 said:

Another chef I cannot stand (I don't know if this one is on television, though) is Bobby Flay; one reason why is because I've heard that (and I may be incorrect) in a lot of his dishes, you have to take them and eat them as is, even if you dislike any of the things in them (which means that, if you eat in one of his restaurants, and a burger has tomato on it, you have to eat it with the tomato). That was a long time ago, and I forget if that's still the case.

I imagine you can take the tomato off before you eat it; you probably just can't order it without the tomato.  Which would be a problem if a dish has an ingredient to which you are allergic, because that ingredient will have touched other parts of the dish, rendering it all unsafe to eat.  So, if what you heard is indeed true, that really sucks.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I imagine you can take the tomato off before you eat it; you probably just can't order it without the tomato.  Which would be a problem if a dish has an ingredient to which you are allergic, because that ingredient will have touched other parts of the dish, rendering it all unsafe to eat.  So, if what you heard is indeed true, that really sucks.

Assuming that it's true, if you said you had an allergy, he would probably make an exception. Otherwise, if he considers himself a food artist, I can kind of see his point.  You wouldn't go up to Da Vinci and offer to buy the Mona Lisa if he paints in the eyebrows.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Assuming that it's true, if you said you had an allergy, he would probably make an exception. Otherwise, if he considers himself a food artist, I can kind of see his point.  You wouldn't go up to Da Vinci and offer to buy the Mona Lisa if he paints in the eyebrows.

I would hope that would be the case.  But in general I'm not big on chefs who considered their food to be unassailable works of art.  I probably wouldn't order a dish which had ingredients I didn't like, but something simple like "no tomato on my sandwich" wouldn't change the essential nature of the food.  Well, not unless it was a tomato sandwich.  (I don't eat in fancy restaurants owned by celebrity chefs anyway.)

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yeah. I've heard other professional chefs talk about this and how much they hate people making changes to the menu items, even though they will often do it.  One of the reasons mentioned is because if a customer asks for no butter used in a dish and then hates the dish--and potentially reviews it--they're not actually reviewing the dish as it was intended to be eaten.  Let's face it, no butter may be healthier but it often ups the yumminess factor of a meal. 

And saying "no substitutions" can be based on the fact that a lot of these farm-to-table restaurants or restaurants that focus on fresh order just enough to cover what they think they will need for an evening's service.  They don't have much leeway to put avocado, for instance, on one dish without it affecting their ability to fully make one serving of the original avocado dish.

Whether that's too precious is debatable but if a restaurant is open about this policy, then I'm okay with it. I know what I'm signing up for. (Ditto for restaurants that don't take reservations.  Don't want to wait two hours for a table at rush?  Fine, this isn't the restaurant for me at that time or I just go super early or very late.)

• Love 8

As long as we're doing food personalities, it too late to jump on the Paula Deen Dislike Wagon? Even BEFORE that notorious court case (which was actually about how she treated employees rather than having uttered  slurs despite a good part of the media trying to paint it as such), I thought she was overwhelming ,inappropriate and obnoxious (with no trace of   gentility, culture or charm  as she likes to think she possesses ). Boiled down to essentials, IMO she personifies a rather ugly stereotype that women in my part of the country have had to struggle very hard to overcome and/or live down.

• Love 8

The racism thing is a perfectly good excuse to hate on Paula Deen. One of my other reasons for disliking her is that her personality is SO amped up it's obviously fake. I think FN asks its hosts to be super hyper versions of themselves. If you watch an early episode of Paula's, she's low key and calm, and later on she gets just crazy with the accent and the facial expressions. I find it deceitful. The only person on FN I can still get behind is Ina Garten, she seems genuine.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, cpcathy said:

The racism thing is a perfectly good excuse to hate on Paula Deen. One of my other reasons for disliking her is that her personality is SO amped up it's obviously fake. I think FN asks its hosts to be super hyper versions of themselves. If you watch an early episode of Paula's, she's low key and calm, and later on she gets just crazy with the accent and the facial expressions. I find it deceitful. The only person on FN I can still get behind is Ina Garten, she seems genuine.

cpcathy,

I disliked Ms. Deen even BEFORE the quotes came out in court for the reasons I cited (though I agree that racism alone would merit dislike)- and not to defend FN (which deserves the dissing it gets on other parts of the Forum), but, from what I understand, she's not changed her persona one iota SINCE they opted not to renew ties with her. Hence, I reject that they forced her to become an ugly stereotype. If anything, IMO, she got her foot in the network door by putting on a veneer of respectability but when she realized that they reveled in crass she ditched that and showed her real self!

• Love 1
On 4/27/2017 at 3:29 PM, proserpina65 said:

I will say, that as a tv personality, Bobby Flay is okay, for me.  Unlike, say, Richard Blais, who's freaking obnoxious.  And Anthony Bourdain, who I find both pretentious and annoying as shit.

Richard Blais is an obnoxious tool who only likes to show off his "new wave" tricks.  Without them, he's nothing special.

Anthony Boudain may seem like a pretentious snob, but he's so fun to watch that I don't care.

• Love 3

This may also be a crossover with the unpopular opinions topic, but I can't stand Stephen Colbert.

I never watched him on Comedy Central but find him to be incredibly smug and thirsty for attention on The Late Show. I agree with his politics and wanted to like the show but he just got worse and worse the more I watched him.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I've hated Tom Selleck ever since he started doing those reverse mortgage commercials.

I can't really say that I hate anybody over it, but I think celebrities really need to thinkabout it before they endorse things like that.  You know that none one of these highly paid celebrities has a reverse mortgage.  It's not right for everyone.  Not that people should be putting that much stock into a celebrity endorsement, but some people do.  I guess what I'm saying is that celebrities should only endorse products that they actually use.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I can't really say that I hate anybody over it, but I think celebrities really need to thinkabout it before they endorse things like that.  You know that none one of these highly paid celebrities has a reverse mortgage.  It's not right for everyone.  Not that people should be putting that much stock into a celebrity endorsement, but some people do.  I guess what I'm saying is that celebrities should only endorse products that they actually use.

Good point, Katy!

I remember being rather upset and disappointed when "Happy Days" Tom Bosley made these infomercials selling yard sale rejects but spinning it as though this would be  the means for desperate folks who were unwilling/unable to leave their homes to earn very comfortable livings. What infuriated me the most was that so many shut-ins, invalids and/or caretakers seemed poised to become broker than broke via this junk and would have FAR less ability to bounce back than others. I always liked him as a performer and person but was very disappointed he didn't tell the company where to go instead of agreeing to pitch this stuff.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Celebrities used to have to at least try the products they pitched (or use them for a certain length of time -- I'm not clear on the details). Is that not the case ay more?

ETA: Apparently they only have to use the items if the ad "represents that the endorser uses the endorsed product." So if he doesn't say or imply he uses it, he doesn't have to have used it.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Celebrities used to have to at least try the products they pitched (or use them for a certain length of time -- I'm not clear on the details). Is that not the case ay more?

I honestly have no idea, but you know darn well that none of these celebrities have a reverse mortgage.  I'm less concerned about make up and shampoo pitches. You try it, you don't like it, no biggie.  But, even so, if you're going to say you use something, or it's so great, you'd best know what you're talking about.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, auntlada said:

You might (or might not) find the FTC rules governing endorsements interesting. I did.

I would say this is an interesting excerpt:

A significant percentage of consumers are likely to believe the celebrity’s statements represent his own views even though he is reading from a script. The celebrity is subject to liability for his statement about the product.

The celebrity endorsements that bother me are those aimed at bilking seniors, pitched by celebs who are 65+ themselves. As the NY Times said: “Urging seniors to 'call now' ads for free DVDs about hearing aids, reverse mortgages, gold coins, and medicines for bone loss and joint pain.

So yeah, Selleck can blow me, along with Henry Winkler.

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I would say this is an interesting excerpt:

A significant percentage of consumers are likely to believe the celebrity’s statements represent his own views even though he is reading from a script. The celebrity is subject to liability for his statement about the product.

I thought this one is interesting too

Example 5: A television advertisement for a particular brand of golf balls shows a prominent and well-recognized professional golfer practicing numerous drives off the tee. This would be an endorsement by the golfer even though she makes no verbal statement in the advertisement.

Does this mean that all the models that appeared in the ads for the Fyre Festival are liable for the failure? People like Bella Hadid & Kendall Jenner definitely fall into the "prominent and well-recognized professional" category.

8 minutes ago, GaT said:

Does this mean that all the models that appeared in the ads for the Fyre Festival are liable for the failure? People like Bella Hadid & Kendall Jenner definitely fall into the "prominent and well-recognized professional" category.

I haven't been paying any attention to that, but I would say it would depend on when things went wrong.  If it was before the ads were filmed, absolutely.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I haven't been paying any attention to that, but I would say it would depend on when things went wrong.  If it was before the ads were filmed, absolutely.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/fyre-festival-exumas-bahamas-disaster.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2017/04/28/the-complete-and-utter-disaster-that-was-fyre-festival-played-out-on-social-media-for-all-to-see/?utm_term=.4af0fb380b72

The BEST thing that can be said re Mr. Seacrest's being made the permanent co-host of "Live" is that now there TWO reasons to completely avoid the show at all costs. At least Mr. Strahan had been vaguely likable to the point that every so often I'd try to tune in just because I felt sorry for him being stuck with someone so self-important and obnoxious but now it's back to as it had been when Mr. Philbin was there with ZERO likable folks there .  How I used to hate it when he and Mrs. Gifford would scream at Mr. Gelman  (whom they always called GELMAN never 'Michael' or manners-forbid 'Mr. Gelman')like he was a nothing flunkey despite the fact that the whole show's continuing existence depended on him! Are there that many viewers with broken remotes unable to switch off/ surf to another channel keeping that show going? Boo!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/2/2017 at 0:42 PM, Blergh said:

The BEST thing that can be said re Mr. Seacrest's being made the permanent co-host of "Live" is that now there TWO reasons to completely avoid the show at all costs. At least Mr. Strahan had been vaguely likable to the point that every so often I'd try to tune in just because I felt sorry for him being stuck with someone so self-important and obnoxious but now it's back to as it had been when Mr. Philbin was there with ZERO likable folks there .  How I used to hate it when he and Mrs. Gifford would scream at Mr. Gelman  (whom they always called GELMAN never 'Michael' or manners-forbid 'Mr. Gelman')like he was a nothing flunkey despite the fact that the whole show's continuing existence depended on him! Are there that many viewers with broken remotes unable to switch off/ surf to another channel keeping that show going? Boo!

Actually I liked Regis.  His yelling "Gelman!" was funny and there was respect & love in his voice.

Not so much with Kathie Lee.

I adore Strahan, and am glad he's moved up & on.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

I unapologetically love Regis, but for some reason I've never hated Kathie Lee the way so many others seem to. I'm not really sure why. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, UYI said:

I unapologetically love Regis, but for some reason I've never hated Kathie Lee the way so many others seem to. I'm not really sure why. 

I like Regis.  Is it weird or wrong that I have no opinion on Kelly or Kathie Lee.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:33 PM, cpcathy said:

The only person on FN I can still get behind is Ina Garten, she seems genuine.

I actually couldn't stand the sight of Ina Garten for almost a year. Not because of her personality or anything she had done, just that she looks eerily similar to my grandmother. Seeing her on TV after my grandma died just hurt too much. Thank goodness it eventually passed.

18 hours ago, rcc said:

I love Regis. I tolerated Kathie Lee. I hated Kelly.

I was always fine with Regis. Kathie Lee reminded me of one of those overbearing neighborhood/PTA moms that no one really liked. Kelly has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

• Love 2

Scott Baio. Never was my favorite and he's a Trump supporter. Has that holier than thou attitude with anybody that disagrees with him. In the end, he always makes himself look bad. Similar to Trump. All show and no brains...

• Love 16