Type keyword(s) to search

Ugh!: Actors, Hosts, And TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Scott Baio. Never was my favorite and he's a Trump supporter. Has that holier than thou attitude with anybody that disagrees with him. In the end, he always makes himself look bad. Similar to Trump. All show and no brains...

So ashamed that I used to rip his posters out of Tiger Beat and put them on my wall. At least he was a very distant second in my affections to Andy Gibb.

• Love 4
On 4/30/2017 at 7:17 AM, roamyn said:

Anthony Boudain may seem like a pretentious snob, but he's so fun to watch that I don't care.

I've also heard a number of people talk about how a lot of that is for television purposes and he's usually rather quiet and soft-spoken in real life. And apparently a really great guy. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, selkie said:

I've also heard a number of people talk about how a lot of that is for television purposes and he's usually rather quiet and soft-spoken in real life. And apparently a really great guy. 

Besides, Gordon Ramsey once made Anthony cry early on in Anthony's career.  I can't totally hate on someone whom Gordon Ramsey made cry.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Andy Dick. I am not sure why this man ever rose to B levels of stardom.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel the same way about Kathy Griffin.

Well, Jon Lovitz felt that Andy Dick giving cocaine to Brynn Hartman was what caused her to spiral out of control and eventually murder her husband, Phil Hartman. Jon Lovitz would later beat the shit out of Andy Dick. From what I've read, Brynn Hartman was always a dangerously unstable person. So it could have been the cocaine or it could have been just a day that ends in "y" that set Brynn off.

• Love 8

People I used to like but have turned on:

• Amy Schumer - exceedingly overexposed, buying into her own hype
  • Louis CK - ditto, plus his faux feminism and middle-aged masturbatory fantasies are gross
  • David Letterman - after his affairs with staffers were exposed
  • Susan Sarandon - liberal political activist to liberal political idiot
  • Anyone I find out is a Scientologist
  • Love 13

OK, here's one more I can't stand: Jay Leno.

Rather than rehash all the reasons why, I'll just say that my reaction to his attempt to throw himself a major pity party  claiming 'age discrimination' after NBC FINALLY said 'Goodbye and Good Riddance' to his late-night show  was " What goes around, comes around".

• Love 12
12 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Well, Jon Lovitz felt that Andy Dick giving cocaine to Brynn Hartman was what caused her to spiral out of control and eventually murder her husband, Phil Hartman

So did Andy himself, maybe.  He used to threaten people by saying he put "the Phil Hartman hex" on them and they would be the next to die.  But who knows how sober he was when he did that.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Well, Jon Lovitz felt that Andy Dick giving cocaine to Brynn Hartman was what caused her to spiral out of control and eventually murder her husband, Phil Hartman. Jon Lovitz would later beat the shit out of Andy Dick. From what I've read, Brynn Hartman was always a dangerously unstable person. So it could have been the cocaine or it could have been just a day that ends in "y" that set Brynn off.

Well, I'm not going to judge anybody that I don't know all the details about, but just want to say that I think we can all agree it's not a good idea to give Coke, to a "dangerously unstable person."

• Love 4

Andy Dick seems to have a rather grating and annoying personality on TV IMO. Moreover, FWIW, a brief look at his wiki seems to confirm that there's a good probability that he might be a nightmare to be acquainted with if one spends more than five minutes time with him even if one has had nothing to do with Phil Hartman.  Count me as someone glad to have never met him.

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Andy Dick seems to have a rather grating and annoying personality on TV IMO. Moreover, FWIW, a brief look at his wiki seems to confirm that there's a good probability that he might be a nightmare to be acquainted with if one spends more than five minutes time with him even if one has had nothing to do with Phil Hartman.  Count me as someone glad to have never met him.

That's the thing.  I remember when he did Dancing with the Stars a few years ago, and he got blessed with a pro instructor who was something of a miracle worker.  She not only taught him to dance, but she made him somewhat likable in the process.  Viewers who couldn't stand Andy Dick and cringed at the news of his casting (and you may count yours truly among said viewers) were astonished at what the show did to transform him.

Now. David Spade?  Mother Teresa (if she were still alive) couldn't make him likable even if she told the world that they were BFFs and that he spent every weekend helping out in homeless shelters, nursing homes, and orphanages.  I can't stand him or the slimy one-note characters he has made a career out of playing, and I won't watch anything that has him in it.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4

That's funny. I don't mind David Spade, especially his work with Farley. And I find him much more likable than Mother Teresa. 

Actors I can't stand-- Johnny Galecki, Kelsey Grammar, Terrence Howard, Cuba Gooding Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Seth Rogan, Andy Samberg.

Personalities-- The Duggars!! Zak Bagans, Sean Hannity, Kelly Ripa, Andy Cohen, Rosie O'Donnell as a personality, not actress. Did like her first talk show though.. Same with Roseanne. Can't stand her now, loved her show growing up. 

• Love 4

Yeah, Mother Teresa isn't the character reference for me she seems to be for so many, either.

David Spade and Andy Dick have always had a somewhat similar quality for me, but Spade comes off as an exponentially better option than Dick.  At least I liked the former in Just Shoot Me; the latter has had not one redeeming moment that I've experienced.  I find him just plain gross.

Johnny Galecki I only know as David on Roseanne, and when the show first aired he annoyed the ever-loving crap out of me.  In the intervening years, I've changed my tune on the character a fair bit.  As for Galecki himself, it sounds like he was a solid human being (this should not be cause for celebration, but in a teenage male with a threatened ego, I'm going to go ahead and dole out a bit of applause because so many [in that and other cohorts] have been worse) when Sara Gilbert - whom he was dating in real life - said, basically, "You know, I'm not feeling it, and I think the reason may be that I'm gay."  He was kind, supportive, and never breathed a word until she chose to come out.  Again, we should expect nothing less.  But reality is different.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

That's funny. I don't mind David Spade, especially his work with Farley. And I find him much more likable than Mother Teresa. 

Actors I can't stand-- Johnny Galecki, Kelsey Grammar, Terrence Howard, Cuba Gooding Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Seth Rogan, Andy Samberg.

Personalities-- The Duggars!! Zak Bagans, Sean Hannity, Kelly Ripa, Andy Cohen, Rosie O'Donnell as a personality, not actress. Did like her first talk show though.. Same with Roseanne. Can't stand her now, loved her show growing up. 

Ditto, with the exception of Galecki & Grammer.  I know Grammer has made an ass of himself in his marriages, but the man has been thru so much tragedy in his life that I believe he never got the proper counseling he needed.  He seems so much happier now.

• Love 3

With Galecki, Grammar, Andy, and Seth, It's their acting that bugs the hell out of me. Galecki is much too whiny in everything I see him in. Grammar, I'm just not a fan of his characters on tv shows I have seen him in. Seth and Andy, I just find terribly not funny for my taste. I felt like an alien in another world when Dick in a Box was considered art. Well, that's what it felt like. But, I don't have anything against them personally.

• Love 1
On Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 9:42 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Besides, Gordon Ramsey once made Anthony cry early on in Anthony's career.  I can't totally hate on someone whom Gordon Ramsey made cry.

I think you might be confusing stories, Anthony never worked with Gordon so he never had the opportunity to make him cry. Marco Pierre White did make Gordon Ramsey cry and also threw a plate of hot risotto at a young Mario Batali when they worked underneath him.

• Love 3
(edited)

I already covered Kathy Griffin here (and, let the record show, that my dislike of her was well before that disastrous photo) so let me use this platform to put forth my dislike for her 'sidekick' Anderson Cooper. Sorry, but on the News Years Eve Countdown shows he had with her, he reminded me of those fair- weathered acquaintances who stood by and either said or did nothing to attempt   to stop dissing bullies or just laughed at their trash talk/actions while trying to pretend to be the victims' friends before/during/after the fact. IMUO, he owes apologies to said victims for letting her deliberately try to  ruin their day and the audience for letting her ruin his show.

Edited by Blergh
addendum
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Blergh said:

and, let the record show, that my dislike of her was well before that disastrous photo

Is there actually a record where we're supposed to be keeping track of this stuff?  Are we now on some watchlist somewhere?  Are TV personalities watching us to see when we hated who? 

• Love 5

Katy M,

To the best of my knowledge, there's no 'watchlist' . However; there's no reason celebs with 'Net access wouldn't be able to surf here to find out whether folks like or dislike them. In any case, I just wanted to clarify that I didn't jump on  the Miss Griffin  Dislike Bandwagon  ONLY after that disastrous photo happened.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Katy M,

To the best of my knowledge, there's no 'watchlist' . However; there's no reason celebs with 'Net access wouldn't be able to surf here to find out whether folks like or dislike them. In any case, I just wanted to clarify that I didn't jump on  the Miss Griffin  Dislike Bandwagon  ONLY after that disastrous photo happened.

Sorry, I was just kidding due to your use of "let the record show."  I didn't really mean anything by it.

While we're speaking of Kathy Griffin, I'm trying to figure out why when she does it, it's "funny" and "free speech."  But, when Trump does it back, it's "bullying."  IMO, both Trump and Griffin are the perfect examples of people who can dish it out and can't take it.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ABay said:

Because there's a power inequity inherent in POTUS v. comedian and because there's an expectation that a president of this country should be able to rise above pettiness. Or there was before November 9, 2016.

I definitely agree that a President should expect this kind of stuff and rise above it.  However, I think it's a little ridiculous to hold up a fake severed head of someone and then cry about it when they retaliate. 

• Love 6

Jerrod Carmichael has been doing the talk show rounds lately and reminded me that I find his preening ego and political views detestable.

"What's so wrong with building a wall?"
"Now that I have money, I agree with the Republicans."
"I still feel sorry for Cosby."

Chuckling while he talks doesn't make the content okay. He can bite me.

• Love 8

While I think Steve Harvey does well on Family Feud, he's getting way too overexposed.  Not finding his other shows that great; his talk show - cannot stand it.  For someone who's been married that many times to give out relationship advice, it'd be like asking the Captain of the Titanic about safe boating tips.  The latest show - Funderdome - is just so boring.  We already have Shark Tank.  I guess he's striking while the iron is hot, but he's going to crash and burn at this point.  I missed his 'women need to wear heels to the office' BS.  That's some straight up sexist bullshit; which goes to my point.  He's innocuous as a game show host; with more exposure, those asshat qualities come to light, turning people off. 

Cannot stand:  Matt Lauer, Kelly Ripa, Ryan Seacrist, Sheryl Underwood, Robert Irvine (obnoxious when on FN, now more obnoxious on his talk show), Dr. Phil (although I'll watch to see what freakshow is on if I'm at home and think about it), Robin McGraw (the whole phamily). 

Rachel Ray, liked her when she started on FN, now too full of herself.  HATE the stupid this is delish, or other stupid words she tries to make happen.  The stupid garbage bowl on the counter (then selling a replica for way too much).  Is it too much effort to drag a trash can over nearer to your prep area?

Amy Schumer - don't find her funny.  Nor Kristen Wiig.  I thought Bridesmaids was so tiresome in spots.  I wanted to slap her character, saying get off your dead ass and stop whining. Didn't find her that funny on SNL either.  I have left the tv on late at night and there's reruns of I Love Lucy.  Not one laugh from me.  It's the same old shit; Lucy wants fame, money, entry into some society/club, let's prove to the 'guys' we can do abcd, comes up with some inane plot, plot goes south fast, hilarity does not ensue (at least for me).  The worst - when the whole cast does a variety show act. 

• Love 4
On 8/16/2016 at 9:02 PM, Kromm said:

Billy Bush.

Even if he wasn't George Dubya's cousin, there's just something about him that is so unwholesome and smarmy.

This right here? Is why I like to reread threads from the beginning. I now have to assume that Kromm is either a time-traveler or a sentient recording device.

• Love 11

I can't stand Anthony Anderson. He seems to take himself super seriously, and every time I see him in an interview, he seems like a huge jerk who just thinks no one else is great but him.

• Love 9

Billy Burke. I don't know why I don't like him, I just know I want to smash his face every time I see it. Maybe he was so good at playing a sociopath on The Closer that I can't think of him any other way.

3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I can't stand Anthony Anderson. He seems to take himself super seriously, and every time I see him in an interview, he seems like a huge jerk who just thinks no one else is great but him.

I thought he was ok when he was playing the sidekick on tv and in movies.  Then when he lost weight (granted, which is a good thing) and got on Blackish he seemed to get full of himself.  Also, his mama is not as funny as he thinks she is.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I think I've only seen him on L&O.  I'm talking about the same guy, right?  I get people mixed up sometimes. Anyway, I liked him well enough on that show, but I don't think I've ever seen an interview or anything to make me think either way as a person.

• Love 1

Tom Cruise irks the hell out of me and not for the fact he is involved in Scientology, but the fact he always walks around with this phony ass grin on his face. Come on life is not that perfect even though he has billions of dollars. He is just phony through and through.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Cherry Bomb said:

Tom Cruise irks the hell out of me and not for the fact he is involved in Scientology, but the fact he always walks around with this phony ass grin on his face. Come on life is not that perfect even though he has billions of dollars. He is just phony through and through.

In fairness, he does have a beautiful smile! IMO. 

• Love 3

I have no feelings one way or th eother about her as  person.   But, I hate every single Molly Ringwald movie I have seen.  Her characters always seem so whiny.  I even saw a couple of epis of The Secret Life of the American Teenager (dont' get me started on that in general) and even as a 40 year old, she was whiny.  I don't even like her in The Facts of Life, and I'm one of the few people who prefer the first season with all the girls in the dorm.

5 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

In fairness, he does have a beautiful smile! IMO. 

I guess he does have nice teeth, but he doesn't have to overdo it and show them that much.

@Katy M even The Breakfast Club? I can live without her other movies, but in my opinion The Breakfast Club is a classic.

Edited by Cherry Bomb
1 hour ago, Cherry Bomb said:

@Katy M even The Breakfast Club? I can live without her other movies, but in my opinion The Breakfast Club is a classic.

I hate the Breakfast Club the most.  I know I'm in the minority.  but, the whole movie is just ridiculous.  Who goes to all day Saturday detention just because they're bored?  Where did that teacher disappear to for so long that they had time for a whole montage?    If I had to pick the Molly Ringwald movie I dislike the least, it would be 16 Candles.  And that's mostly just because I can't help but feel bad for someone whose parents forgot their 16th birthday.  And I liked the foreign exchange kids.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I hate the Breakfast Club the most.  I know I'm in the minority.  but, the whole movie is just ridiculous.  Who goes to all day Saturday detention just because they're bored?  Where did that teacher disappear to for so long that they had time for a whole montage?    If I had to pick the Molly Ringwald movie I dislike the least, it would be 16 Candles.  And that's mostly just because I can't help but feel bad for someone whose parents forgot their 16th birthday.  And I liked the foreign exchange kids.

The whole bored thing with the Ally Sheedy character makes her who she is and the transition she makes by the movies end. I agree that the foreign exchange kid in 16 Candles is great. Pretty in Pink is a bit more realistic than The Breakfast Club for sure as would be easy to see in real life that the rich guy being a jerk, but one friend actually being a good guy and falling for the girl from across the tracks. Plus the Ducky character played by Jon Cryer was an iconic character.

• Love 2

Ty Burrell. I'm sure he's a lovely person who saves kittens and puppies from burning buildings or something, but I want to punch my TV every time he shows up. He's smarmy and in-funny. I wish he'd go away. And take his stupid detergent commercial with him.

• Love 8

How could I have overlooked it but today's Uno Wutt seems to have brought light to my abiding dislike: Geraldo Rivera.

NEVER could stand him but what was especially revolting was the way he'd try to ape being Phil Donahue re crying  crocodile  mawkish tears for victims of horrific abuse that he had no qualms exploiting all over again on his show . Meanwhile, it was public record that not only did he treat marriage as a joking revolving door but also was alleged to have been just about as bad to other women as his victims excuse me, talk show guests had  happened to them. I mean, at least Phil Donahue was sincere in his empathy for the guests on his show and had no accusations of being less than honorable to the women in his life!  Just UGH!

• Love 10

Couldn't agree more, @Blergh!

Which is why I ????my ass off when those Nazis fighting on his show ended up breaking his nose! Because he was trying to act all moral and superior. And I did the same when he bait and switched people into watching his special about how he, and only HE, found the remains of Jimmy Hoffa, only to be humiliated when it was all a bunch of nothing. So no surprise when he ended up on Fox. I also ???because I know that twit of a reporter, Ramirez on the 80s animated G. I. Joe is a caricature of Geraldo!????????

• Love 3

I hate all those "whose the daddy" shows, and can't understand why anybody would go on them.  I guess they get the paternity test free that way, but doesn't seem worth it to me.  And, I hope I am never in a low enough point to agree to host one of those.  OK, nobody would ask me to, but I'm just saying.

• Love 3
On 6/25/2017 at 11:12 PM, hoosier80 said:

I have left the tv on late at night and there's reruns of I Love Lucy.  Not one laugh from me.  It's the same old shit; Lucy wants fame, money, entry into some society/club, let's prove to the 'guys' we can do abcd, comes up with some inane plot, plot goes south fast, hilarity does not ensue (at least for me).  The worst - when the whole cast does a variety show act. 

The very reason why I Love Lucy did not stand up for me too well on DVD-- a few funny shows in the two seasons' worth I saw, but the rest of it, to me, is just like you said it was. 

10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I hate all those "whose the daddy" shows, and can't understand why anybody would go on them.  I guess they get the paternity test free that way, but doesn't seem worth it to me.  And, I hope I am never in a low enough point to agree to host one of those.  OK, nobody would ask me to, but I'm just saying.

Povich was a serious newsman back in the day and I could never understand why he would sink so low with his show and the baby daddy DNA shows. I guess he loves money more than his own self respect.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, rcc said:

Povich was a serious newsman back in the day and I could never understand why he would sink so low with his show and the baby daddy DNA shows. I guess he loves money more than his own self respect.

I always wondered the same thing.  Can you imagine the dinner conversations between he and Connie?

Especially since Maury seems to be a decent guy.

• Love 1

Having grown up in NYC, I think the reason Geraldo Rivera had a much longer career than you'd expect given his mediocrity and trash career arc, is because of the Willowbrook expose early in his career.  I think people were willing to forgive him a lot because of how horrible conditions were there and his role in getting the place shut down.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, dalek said:

Having grown up in NYC, I think the reason Geraldo Rivera had a much longer career than you'd expect given his mediocrity and trash career arc, is because of the Willowbrook expose early in his career.  I think people were willing to forgive him a lot because of how horrible conditions were there and his role in getting the place shut down.

Oh, absolutely. People don't realize how seminal the Willowbrook expose was. There were a bunch of state investigations immediately after that. A bunch of class action lawsuits against the states that operated the state institutions for the mentally ill and individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities soon followed. All of which led to quite a bit of disabilities legislation.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, cynicat said:

Considering all the love that Jerry Lewis is getting since his death, I feel obliged to add him to this forum.  I never found him funny, and he always seemed like a total dick.  

He was hateful to disabled adults who disagreed with the pity approach used by the MDA telethon. He said some cruel things in the Parade magazine that would run on Labor Day weekend. I also hated the mugging for the camera that he used to do.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, cynicat said:

Considering all the love that Jerry Lewis is getting since his death, I feel obliged to add him to this forum.  I never found him funny, and he always seemed like a total dick.  

I never really knew anything about him beyond the MDA telethon.  When we were kids, my sister (with my mom's help) would put on a little carnival in the backyard with game and stuff and the money went to the MDA..  The games were likea  nickel or a dime and we also sold lemonade and brownies. I doubt we ever made more than $15, but I guess it was the thought that counted. Sorry, that had absolutely nothing to do with anything.

• Love 11